PDA

View Full Version : Lakers Luxury Tax Bill for 2013-2014 Season

bagelred
08-10-2012, 07:44 PM
Did a quick calculation and I was actually conservative in my estimates:

http://s13.postimage.org/wa5mma3sn/Lakers_Luxury_Tax.png (http://postimage.org/)

So my quick calculation, Lakers payroll in 2013-2014 will cost them a total of $189 million. And actually, it will probably be more than that.

Shit, just remembered Jodie Meeks....doesn't matter much.

This CBA is killer for big market teams. That has to change in the next CBA. Ridonkulous.

Levity
08-10-2012, 07:46 PM
damn. the nba just keeps getting richer. lucky for la, theyre sitting on that $5 billion dollar tv deal.

BlackWhiteGreen
08-10-2012, 08:03 PM
damn. the nba just keeps getting richer. lucky for la, theyre sitting on that $20 billion dollar tv deal.

I thought all tax was repaid to non tax-payers?

BMOGEFan
08-10-2012, 08:04 PM
damn. the nba just keeps getting richer. lucky for la, theyre sitting on that $20 billion dollar tv deal.

NBA does not get richer...

the luxury tax collected is split between the 30 teams that way it helps the smaller market teams.

LoneyROY7
08-10-2012, 08:05 PM
That's on some New York Yankee sh*t.

They'd better hope they win the championship.

boozehound
08-10-2012, 08:06 PM

http://s13.postimage.org/wa5mma3sn/Lakers_Luxury_Tax.png (http://postimage.org/)

So my quick calculation, Lakers payroll in 2013-2014 will cost them a total of $185 million. And actually, it will probably be more than that.

This CBA is killer for big market teams. That has to change in the next CBA. Ridonkulous.
actually 189 million

Sarcastic
08-10-2012, 08:07 PM
If they don't win this year, they will start dumping salary. No way they pay $185 million for a basketball team. That's close to what the Yankees pay, but they get twice as many games in much larger parks.

BlackWhiteGreen
08-10-2012, 08:10 PM
NBA does not get richer...

the luxury tax collected is split between the 30 teams that way it helps the smaller market teams.

I was under the impression it was only for the teams not paying tax.

Clippersfan86
08-10-2012, 08:11 PM
Like a few of us already said... This is a 2 year team. Gasol will be let go in free agency and Kobe and Nash will retire in 2 years. Then it's up to the Lakers to rebuild around Dwight which will likely take a couple seasons at least.

b0bab0i
08-10-2012, 08:11 PM
If they don't win this year, they will start dumping salary. No way they pay $185 million for a basketball team. That's close to what the Yankees play, but they get twice as many games in much larger parks.
They have a massive tv deal with time warner cable worth an estimated $3 billion for 20 years, which comes out to around $150 million each year?

Sarcastic
08-10-2012, 08:12 PM
They have a massive tv deal with time warner cable worth an estimated $3 billion for 20 years, which comes out to around $150 million each year?

Yankees have their own channel.

Optimus Prime
08-10-2012, 08:14 PM
Those numbers are pretty crazy. Rings are worth it though. :pimp:

No worries. The Lakers will still be rolling in cash. Between the new lucrative TV deal, Kobe Bryant, Dwight Howard, and more banners in the imminent future, things are looking bright in Lakerland. :cheers:

:kobe:

imnew09
08-10-2012, 08:21 PM
It's a title contender team, so it's worth it. But the Knicks, Nets, lol...

b0bab0i
08-10-2012, 08:33 PM
But that alone almost covers their salary, so pretty sure they aren't hurting for money.

niko
08-10-2012, 08:35 PM
So do lakers. Lakers sports network. Yes, it's disgusting.

MJ(Mean John)
08-10-2012, 08:39 PM
But that alone almost covers their salary, so pretty sure they aren't hurting for money.

Sickass avi!

KeyNote
08-10-2012, 08:43 PM
Winning

RRR3
08-10-2012, 08:45 PM
Sarc are you a mets or yanks fan?

Burgz V2
08-10-2012, 09:38 PM

lollz

amfirst
08-10-2012, 09:47 PM

I think it was for 5 years.

PejaNowitzki
08-10-2012, 10:00 PM

So my quick calculation, Lakers payroll in 2013-2014 will cost them a total of $185 million. And actually, it will probably be more than that.

So basically the Lakers would be paying every other team under the luxury tax a few million dollars.....good stuff.

amfirst
08-10-2012, 10:15 PM
So basically the Lakers would be paying every other team under the luxury tax a few million dollars.....good stuff.

Keep in mind this is only for 2 years. Everybody drops off the books besides Howard. Then the Lakers will sign another superstar for the max and add pieces, perhaps bring back some veterans for the minimum.

Sarcastic
08-10-2012, 10:18 PM
Sarc are you a mets or yanks fan?

Yankees. Knicks. Giants.

In that order.

Sarcastic
08-10-2012, 10:21 PM
So do lakers. Lakers sports network. Yes, it's disgusting.

They don't own the station.

bagelred
08-10-2012, 10:27 PM
actually 189 million

Yep. Changed.

And actually, I was being somewhat conservative with my guesses. I think the actualy number might go over $200 million.

General
08-10-2012, 10:29 PM
Real Madrid model:applause: Make the money back off merchandise sales, sponsorships, and TV deals you gain by having superstars on your team.

bagelred
08-10-2012, 10:59 PM
Check this out.

Next summer, if the Lakers simply give Kobe Bryant away to an under the cap team, that would save the Lakers $105 million. His salary + luxury tax.

:hammerhead:

swag2011
08-10-2012, 11:04 PM
Forbes stated that the Lakers new tv deal is worth 5 billion over 20 years. It also said they'll make 200 million per year. Chump Change to a boss like Jim/Jerry Buss lol

JaggerCommaMick
08-10-2012, 11:11 PM

So my quick calculation, Lakers payroll in 2013-2014 will cost them a total of $189 million. And actually, it will probably be more than that.

Tis very likely one of those players will be gone via amnesty before the 2013-14 season begins, mate. Most probably World Peace. They will also probably give away Jordan Hill now.

The roster wont look like this when its time to tally the bill, I am quite certain.

GoldNugg21
08-10-2012, 11:16 PM
Check this out.

Next summer, if the Lakers simply give Kobe Bryant away to an under the cap team, that would save the Lakers $105 million. His salary + luxury tax.

:hammerhead:

I know this would never happen, but amnesty him. For 120 million?

bagelred
08-10-2012, 11:25 PM

Well if you amnesty Kobe, you still have to pay his total salary or I should say whatever is not picked up off amnesty waivers.

So you'd save probably about $100 million or so.

Notitlesince73
08-10-2012, 11:32 PM
How much are they spending this year?

bagelred
08-11-2012, 08:06 AM
How much are they spending this year?

Luxury tax is still under the "old" rules this year. So it's $1 for every $1 over luxury tax level.

Last estimate I saw Lakers payroll is about $97 million. So luxury tax level is about $70 million. Lakers are $27 million over, so that's $27 million in luxury taxes......a reasonable number.

The new rules are just crazy. It's essentially a hard cap.

Blue&Orange
08-11-2012, 08:10 AM
$85 millions to distribute to teams under the luxury tax... yumi.

Blue&Orange
08-11-2012, 08:19 AM
Real Madrid model:applause: Make the money back off merchandise sales, sponsorships, and TV deals you gain by having superstars on your team.
Real Madrid have ~$700 millions in debt, not sure about the model.

Real Madrid and Barcelona dominate because of this:

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-m5SWzO_S4LE/T544sYD_ZpI/AAAAAAAAFoE/AiXzC6yVi3s/s640/20+Debt+La+Liga+TV+Distribution.jpg

How can other Spanish clubs compete with them? How can clubs from other countries that split the TV revenues more equally compete with them?

Barcelona and Real Madrid winning :sleeping

What a surprise.

NBA better start thinking about regulating these local TV deals or they will be heading to the nonsense and boringness that European soccer have become.

bagelred
08-11-2012, 08:37 AM
NBA better start thinking about regulating these local TV deals or they will be heading to the nonsense and boringness that European soccer have become.

What? Regulating local TV deals? :hammerhead: The small market teams in the NBA are already taking control. The new luxury tax levels are insane. Look how much money Lakers are going to give back. Plus didn't they also increase revenue sharing on top of that?

The small markets are fine in the NBA, despite their whining. Look at OKC.

Blue&Orange
08-11-2012, 08:59 AM
What? Regulating local TV deals? :hammerhead: The small market teams in the NBA are already taking control. The new luxury tax levels are insane. Look how much money Lakers are going to give back. Plus didn't they also increase revenue sharing on top of that?

The small markets are fine in the NBA, despite their whining. Look at OKC.

The champions league nowadays isn't about who is going to win, it's about who is going to UPSET Real Madrid and Barcelona, thanks to the massive advantage they get due their unfair TV deals, it's boredom at it's finest. The spanish league it's a joke, i don't understand how it gets so much praise, it's basically 20 clubs trying to lose for the less amount of goals possible when they face Barca and Real.

Believe me you don't want that on the NBA. Not who's going to win, but who is going to upset LA and NY this year, and other teams just trying not to lose by 30 points.

Phenith
08-11-2012, 10:53 AM
I am probably wrong, and I don't know why I think this, but for some reason I think minimum deals don't count towards the tax.

bagelred
08-11-2012, 11:02 AM
I am probably wrong, and I don't know why I think this, but for some reason I think minimum deals don't count towards the tax.

No, I don't think that's right.

However, certain vet minimum deals are paid partially by league, to give teams incentive to sign veterans. In other words, otherwise, teams might not want to sign expensive veterans and sign younger players instead. To prevent that, league picks up part of the tab. I think that's what you are thinking of.

Overdrive
08-11-2012, 02:24 PM
The champions league nowadays isn't about who is going to win, it's about who is going to UPSET Real Madrid and Barcelona, thanks to the massive advantage they get due their unfair TV deals, it's boredom at it's finest. The spanish league it's a joke, i don't understand how it gets so much praise, it's basically 20 clubs trying to lose for the less amount of goals possible when they face Barca and Real.

Believe me you don't want that on the NBA. Not who's going to win, but who is going to upset LA and NY this year, and other teams just trying not to lose by 30 points.

Real is upset in the UCL about every year. Bad example.
Barcelona has a great generation of talent, there sure can lure talent to their team in upcoming generations, but they won't get exceptional home grown players all the time. They had to wait over a decade to solidify again as a top flight european team.

boozehound
08-11-2012, 03:43 PM
Forbes stated that the Lakers new tv deal is worth 5 billion over 20 years. It also said they'll make 200 million per year. Chump Change to a boss like Jim/Jerry Buss lol
weird those figures dont add up. thats only 4 billion over 20 years.

LamarOdom
08-11-2012, 03:50 PM

He Brings in a lot of money to the Lakers.

50inchvertical
08-11-2012, 04:57 PM
weird those figures dont add up. thats only 4 billion over 20 years.
Depends on what article you read, it's between 3 and 5 billion over 20 yrs so $150,000,000-$250,000,000 a yr. Conversely, Sacramento's tv deal is worth 14.

Rubio2Gasol
08-11-2012, 05:05 PM
Real Madrid have ~$700 millions in debt, not sure about the model.

Real Madrid and Barcelona dominate because of this:

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-m5SWzO_S4LE/T544sYD_ZpI/AAAAAAAAFoE/AiXzC6yVi3s/s640/20+Debt+La+Liga+TV+Distribution.jpg

How can other Spanish clubs compete with them? How can clubs from other countries that split the TV revenues more equally compete with them?

Barcelona and Real Madrid winning :sleeping

What a surprise.

Real Madrid are owned by the fans and garner more revenue for the Spanish league for every other league combined.There's revenue sharing in England yet when was the last time someone other than Chelsea, United or City won?

Two of those clubs don't even spend what they earn they just have sugar daddies who buy players for them.

Bayern has 10 fold the revenue and expenditure of any German club, yet Dortmund rapes them every year.

Chelsea in the last 8 years have spent more money than any other Club including Madrid, none of which has come from actual revenue or income , which is worse?

Everyone wants to see Barca and Madrid upset because they have the best teams not because they spent the most money but because they are the best at putting successful teams together.

bagelred
08-13-2012, 09:58 AM
bump so the other thread can see the calculation

KyrieTheFuture
08-13-2012, 10:05 AM
They need a hard cap. Something like 150 Mill so you can spend but not to this ridiculous degree.

Soundwave
08-13-2012, 05:35 PM
Salary cap parity my ass.

The NBA is a four or five team league basically and that might be generous. Everyone else doesn't have a prayer in hell.

NFL, NHL have real salary caps.

MeLO MvP 15
08-13-2012, 06:59 PM
But if push comes to shove they could amnesty World Peace or Gasol (or even Kobe, but that won't happen), use the stretch provision on Nash or Hill and maybe Kobe or Nash retires by then (unlikely).

The thing is, that team will be successful so paying big bucks will be worth it.

Optimus Prime
08-13-2012, 07:01 PM
But if push comes to shove they could amnesty World Peace or Gasol (or even Kobe, but that won't happen), use the stretch provision on Nash or Hill and maybe Kobe or Nash retires by then (unlikely).

The thing is, that team will be successful so paying big bucks will be worth it.

We would amnesty Blake since we got Duhon and he can't be amnestied. We are still kinda hurting at the 3.

Nick Young
08-13-2012, 07:14 PM
Mamba's salary, richest player in the league:bowdown:

Chris Duhon GTFO Shit that guy sux

Optimus Prime
08-13-2012, 07:14 PM
Mamba's salary, richest player in the league:bowdown:

Chris Duhon GTFO Shit that guy sux

But we are stuck with him. Blake isn't exactly lighting up the court either, and we can amnesty him.

1rkrage
08-13-2012, 07:55 PM
Wish the Bulls could operate like the Lakers :(

Optimus Prime
08-13-2012, 07:55 PM
Wish the Bulls could operate like the Lakers :(

Need to have ownership that is in it to win it. :bowdown:

WeGetRing2012
08-13-2012, 08:35 PM
This is a business at the end of the day and Im pretty sure most of the billionaires who own teams are happy with their investments. The Lakers are just lucky enough to make money & consistently be one of the best teams in the league.

SpecialQue
08-13-2012, 08:38 PM
This is a business at the end of the day and Im pretty sure most of the billionaires who own teams are happy with their investments. The Lakers are just lucky enough to make money & consistently be one of the best teams in the league.

Also lucky that they have an owner who wants to win above everything else, and a GM who's savvy enough to make mafia don-style deals.

Optimus Prime
08-13-2012, 08:39 PM
Also lucky that they have an owner who wants to win above everything else, and a GM who's savvy enough to make mafia don-style deals.

Yes. The Buss family is amazing. :applause:

And Mitch went from Kupkake to GOAT GM! :bowdown:

SpecialQue
08-13-2012, 08:43 PM
Yes. The Buss family is amazing. :applause:

And Mitch went from Kupkake to GOAT GM! :bowdown:

Still can't fvcking believe he got Dwight and kept Pau. Motherfvcker's probably hiding a cure for cancer and AIDS somewhere...

Optimus Prime
08-13-2012, 08:45 PM
Still can't fvcking believe he got Dwight and kept Pau. Motherfvcker's probably hiding a cure for cancer and AIDS somewhere...

When I originally heard that we were going to lose Pau (my boy) I was like :no: :cry:

Then I heard we got Dwight AND kept Pau I was like :cheers: :banana: :pimp: :rockon: :applause: :bowdown:

WeGetRing2012
08-13-2012, 09:37 PM

Yup the cap & spending doesnt determine the good & bad teams. Teams like OKC & SA show that teams in "small" markets can be successful too.

Bigsmoke
08-14-2012, 01:17 AM
damn Kobe can i hold 100,000 at least?

DKLaker
08-14-2012, 01:23 AM

Yeah, the Lakers can afford to be the Yankees of Basketball in order to win championships, they can easily pay that tax plus payroll and make more profit than ever :applause: :cheers: :applause: :bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown:

Knicksfever2010
08-14-2012, 01:31 AM

please stop posting, you're just embarrassing yourself at this point. I wish to god you were dyslexic so atleast then you're drivel wouldnt being so annoying.

bagelred
03-09-2013, 06:59 PM
So this is what Mark Cuban is talking about. If Lakers simply amnesty Kobe in the summer, they'll save over $80 million easily....maybe more.

I think its more likely Lakers either "give away" Gasol to under cap team or amnesty Gasol. I'm pretty sure that's going to happen.....that will save Lakers probably $65 million or so. Well worth it considering Pau has only one more year on contract anyway.....

imnew09
03-09-2013, 07:03 PM
So this is what Mark Cuban is talking about. If Lakers simply amnesty Kobe in the summer, they'll save over $80 million easily....maybe more.

I think its more likely Lakers either "give away" Gasol to under cap team or amnesty Gasol. I'm pretty sure that's going to happen.....that will save Lakers probably $65 million or so. Well worth it considering Pau has only one more year on contract anyway.....

Lakers been wanting to trade away Pau for a while, so no doubt he will be the one to go. :cry: :cry:

MMM
03-09-2013, 07:10 PM
Yankees. Knicks. Giants.

In that order.

No Rangers???

DirtySanchez
03-09-2013, 07:28 PM
Can they trade Pau for cap relief and young talent????

Derka
03-09-2013, 09:00 PM
Unless guys start playing for $5 million each, the super-team era is officially over.

WeGetRing2012
03-09-2013, 09:18 PM
I can see us trading Pau and his $19mil contract this summer...
And Kobe's $30mil is expiring the season after that so we're good

Phenith
03-09-2013, 09:23 PM
I'm not sure, but I think I remember something about minimum salaries not counting towards tax... if that's the case, it would hack off a big chunk of that tax ammount.

jl1718
03-09-2013, 10:08 PM
Does that chart include the repeat offender tax?

NBASTATMAN
03-10-2013, 12:00 AM

THE LAKERS ARE THE YANKEES OF BASKETBALL. They can outspend almost everyone and that is why they stay on top. But damn 189 million and they are barely making the playoffs.. What kind of shit is that? :facepalm

NBASTATMAN
03-10-2013, 12:02 AM
Lakers been wanting to trade away Pau for a while, so no doubt he will be the one to go. :cry: :cry:

Pau is still a baller but if some team is stupid enough to take him on at 19 million with his best days behind him than Mitch Cupcake is A GENIUS...

bagelred
03-10-2013, 12:13 AM
Pau is still a baller but if some team is stupid enough to take him on at 19 million with his best days behind him than Mitch Cupcake is A GENIUS...

It's only for one year. Some team will do it if don't need the cap space. I bet the Blazers would do it for one year.....I think they'll have cap space.

bagelred
03-11-2013, 09:17 AM

Guess people are stealing my thoughts, now. You reading this Tom Penn?

Ric Bucher on Sulia:

Last note on Lakers for now: Tom Penn, NBA cap guru, said on my radio show that as constituted, they could face a luxury tax hit of as much as $85 million next season. Even with that humonguous TV deal, it's hard to imagine them paying that on top of the $90-some million due for player payroll. One option, I'm told, is to amnesty Pau Gasol and the $19 million he has coming next season. It sounds crazy, but if they can't deal Gasol -- and he still would appear to be the most tradeable commodity -- for draft picks or anything that brings a lot less than $19 million in salaries back, they're on the hook for 1 1/2 times his salary and more thanks to the repeater tax. I have to check back with Penn, but I would think if taking Gasol's money off the cap and making another small move gets them under the luxury tax, the $85 million goes away. So maybe you can look at it as a move that gives away Gasol for nothing. Or, just possibly, you can look at it as keeping $85 million in the Lakers' pocket. about 10 hours ago

bluechox2
04-02-2013, 11:34 PM
The tax gets split with the teams under cap so it comes down to one team below the cap that is retarded enough to take anything from the lakers, rather than getting paid

Xiao Yao You
04-02-2013, 11:42 PM
Money well spent! :applause:

talkingconch
04-03-2013, 02:59 AM
Keep in mind this is only for 2 years. Everybody drops off the books besides Howard. Then the Lakers will sign another superstar for the max and add pieces, perhaps bring back some veterans for the minimum.
http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-vpE6uMJ37dk/UOScrne47aI/AAAAAAAAEL4/Ki-4IWO-SoY/s1600/ron-paul.gif

bagelred
04-03-2013, 07:42 AM
The tax gets split with the teams under cap so it comes down to one team below the cap that is retarded enough to take anything from the lakers, rather than getting paid

Teams are not going to stop making moves just because to get a little more luxury tax money.

2LeTTeRS
04-03-2013, 08:22 AM

I think you are confusing the salary cap [currently $58.044 mil] with the luxury tax threshold [$70.307 million]. Money paid into the luxury tax pool will be distributed to teams that do not exceed the luxury tax not just those under the cap.

Wavves
04-03-2013, 08:38 AM

I don't get this. You're not even an 8th seed yet.

Djahjaga
04-03-2013, 10:00 AM

lololol