PDA

View Full Version : Dwight Howard's back discussed by Dr. Klapper on ESPN 710

Batz
08-11-2012, 07:06 PM
Hopefully this should end some stupid rumors going around:

Credit to dfchang813 from lakersground.net...

Just listened to Dr. Robert Klapper, chief of orthopedic surgery at Cedar Sinai and ESPN 710's resident expert.

Some highlights:

1. From an orthopedic surgery standpoint he would much rather have Dwight's back than Andrew's knees.

2. The knees have a much more "chronic injury" issue than Dwight's back which is an "acute injury" that can be repaired with very little sequelae.

3. After surgery, you can't play basketball and engage in any heavy physical activity for 4 months.

Why?

Because the injury is a disc herniation: a small amount of the nucleus pulposus or the "shock absorber" of the disc got squeezed out. It is a VERY SMALL amount. You get rid of the "squirted out" material with a 1 inch incision under a microscope.

There is a 5-10 percent chance that returning to physical activity too early could herniate more material. That's obviously not good because you've reherniated the disc and have to remove more of the extruded disc.

Bear in mind that Dwight was fully recovered, pain free, and ready to work out probably a few weeks after surgery (it is only 1 inch incision after all). BUT returning to physical activity too early gets you that 5-10 percent chance. Keep in mind that means there is a 90 to 95% chance that if he came back after only a month or so he would be fine.

But he is Dwight Howard and so they are being super, super cautious.

4. He had surgery 04/20/2012 which means he should be able to resume training, weights, basketball activity, etc around 08/20/2012 if everything goes according to schedule and he feels no pain, etc.

5. Per Dr. Klapper, based on that schedule Dwight should be ready for opening night (10/30/2012). He'll have 2 months to get his conditioning back. Again assuming he recovers as expected and at his age and conditioning there should be NO REASON for any setbacks.

6. Dwight will ALWAYS know he had surgery, he'll ALWAYS feel just a little different. That's unavoidable. BUT that feeling doesn't affect his ability to do what he needs to do. Per Dr. Klapper as fans we should be able to tell NO DIFFERENCE in the way he plays. He should have essentially NO difference in his skills, athleticism, etc.

7. By way, reading some medical papers addressing the effects of laminectomy on NBA athletes, those papers support Dr. Klapper's assertion that Dwight should be back as good as new.

8. That should answer the question why teams are still willing to kill themselves to get Dwight Howard despite this "back injury" issue. It's a non-issue moving forward. Also why he and his agent are very comfortable not extending and waiting for the end of the season to sign a new max contract. They know, all-world BEAST 3x DPOY Howard is coming back this year. With Stephen A interview, Dwight pointed out that he absolutely felt he could have won a 4th straight DPOY if he had been fully healthy. He's ready to come back and remind everyone who he is on the basketball floor. Trust me, he may be smiling but this whole Dwightmare did affect him and he's going to playing with an edge, especially on defense.

The most dominant defensive force in the NBA basically feels disrespected and the league has NO IDEA what is coming down on them from the 5 slot.

Summary: If everything goes according to schedule, we should hear something by the end of August that Dwight is starting to work out again on the court, lifting, running etc.

Chances are good that he'll be ready for the start of the season.

Chances overwhelmingly good that there will be no lasting effect from this particular injury.

Final point: He played with a lot of pain and discomfort when the incompetent, dumbass Magic medical staff misdiagnosed with "back spasms." He said it was more pain than he had ever experienced since he was in the league.

That's why the thing that hurt him personally the most in the media was that he was faking an injury and quitting on his team. He put up All-Star numbers last year playing with a herniated disc.

When I think of Bynum taking plays and games off and openly admitting it while Dwight is still putting up the numbers he did with an injury that ultimately required surgery and in a toxic, destructive environment . . . I think there is no doubt the sort of heart and work ethic Dwight is going to bring to our team.

Hope all of this is a bit reassuring.

http://espn.go.com/espnradio/losangeles/play?id=8259772

http://espn.go.com/espnradio/losangeles/play?id=8259216

http://espn.go.com/espnradio/losangeles/play?id=8259317

Batz
08-11-2012, 07:22 PM
Bumptastic.

Dictator
08-11-2012, 07:25 PM
dwightastic :bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown:

LamarOdom
08-11-2012, 07:28 PM
Backtastic.

niko
08-11-2012, 07:31 PM
He's been leaking to his mouthpieces that he will be ready for opening day so i can't imagine hes not going to be ready in december, january etc. like people are suggesting.

Punpun
08-11-2012, 07:34 PM
Dwightmaresque.

franchiez
Laketastic

BlackVVaves
Good read. We'll see if it holds true.

Noof
08-11-2012, 07:36 PM
Nice. I was a bit worried about the surgery. Good to hear he'll be fine.

franchiez
08-11-2012, 07:38 PM
Nice. I was a bit worried about the surgery. Good to hear he'll be fine.
He will be fine, but him playing just as well isn't certain.

Graviton
08-11-2012, 07:40 PM
Saaaaaweeeet, I was worried about him not being 100%. Can't wait to see one of these doctor view on Rose's ACL. :(

"He played with a lot of pain and discomfort when the incompetent, dumbass Magic medical staff misdiagnosed with "back spasms." He said it was more pain than he had ever experienced since he was in the league."

Thank God he is out of Magic, there is a reason why small market teams rarely succeed. They are incompetent from top to bottom. The new CBA wasn't gonna fix shit with some retards.

bagelred
08-11-2012, 08:02 PM
Klap On!

Klap Off!

Klap On, Klap Off!! The Klapper!!!

Yung D-Will
08-11-2012, 08:13 PM
Saaaaaweeeet, I was worried about him not being 100%. Can't wait to see one of these doctor view on Rose's ACL. :(

"He played with a lot of pain and discomfort when the incompetent, dumbass Magic medical staff misdiagnosed with "back spasms." He said it was more pain than he had ever experienced since he was in the league."

Thank God he is out of Magic, there is a reason why small market teams rarely succeed. They are incompetent from top to bottom. The new CBA wasn't gonna fix shit with some retards.

Not all, In fact Jefferson has stayed pretty healthy since he joined the Jazz, and there's reasons for that. When Jefferson joined he was shipped off to a team owned rehabilitation center. When he was there they hooked him up to machines and they ran numerous test on his knees, and discovered that he was still overcompensating, and putting too much weight on his healthy knee (A year after his surgery in Minny). What they did after is, they used training regimens that were focused on strengthening the supporting muscles around his weak knee(Because of the acl surgery), and then put him in drills designed to help him apply weight equally on both knees.

It doesn't take a Big market to have a good medical staff.

KeyNote
08-11-2012, 08:47 PM
sounds about right...I always thought he would be ready for opening night based on when he had the surgery and when opening night is

imnew09
08-12-2012, 01:12 AM
"Dumbass Magic medical staff misdiagnosed with "back spasms."

Yes Howard, fk them and welcome to the Lakers!

LakersReign
08-12-2012, 02:53 AM
The only reason haters were out out false rumors, is cuz they're all scared now:lol

DKLaker
08-12-2012, 03:04 AM
Backtastic.

Back to Back to Backtastic :cheers: :bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown:

tomtucker
08-12-2012, 05:46 AM
Dr. Klapper :wtf: ..........bad news, you got the ..........

Noof
08-12-2012, 06:21 AM
Back to Back to Backtastic :cheers: :bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DfBfJ66vyE0

R.I.P.
08-12-2012, 07:29 AM
Dr. Klapper that name sounds as credible as Chris Broussard. Only a media whore would say stuff like no reason, no problems, 100%, no trouble after back surgery. Most doctors wouldn

ashlar
08-12-2012, 10:04 AM
[QUOTE=R.I.P.]Dr. Klapper that name sounds as credible as Chris Broussard. Only a media whore would say stuff like no reason, no problems, 100%, no trouble after back surgery. Most doctors wouldn

bluechox2
08-12-2012, 11:12 AM
as with any injury, there will be a period of adjusting and mentally strengthening yourself from previous had injury. i think dwight will get back to 100% after 1 month of playing

Batz
08-28-2012, 04:46 PM
Bump because people seem to be stupid still.

9erempiree
08-28-2012, 04:54 PM
[QUOTE=R.I.P.]Dr. Klapper that name sounds as credible as Chris Broussard. Only a media whore would say stuff like no reason, no problems, 100%, no trouble after back surgery. Most doctors wouldn

Optimus Prime
08-28-2012, 05:04 PM
Bump because people seem to be stupid still.

Good post thanks for the bump! And yes, they are.

:kobe:

Nick Young
08-28-2012, 05:32 PM
"Dumbass Magic medical staff misdiagnosed with "back spasms."

Yes Howard, fk them and welcome to the Lakers!
goddamn orlando med staff:facepalm :facepalm :facepalm

Thank god for Los Angeles Medicine, best in the country:rockon: :rockon: :rockon: :rockon:

Batzman
08-28-2012, 05:42 PM
this.

Doctors never guarantee anything because they know their license would be in jeopardy.

A human body doesn't go according to plan like a cooking receipe.
Lose their license? Did somebody stick a pack of toothpicks up your ass and just left it there for the hell of it or something?

Tell me how a doctor's medical license, who is not in any way involved directly with the treatment of a patient, is in jeopardy? Seriously, educate me.

This is a completely experienced doctor giving his very credible input on the situation. Your sources are your own dumbass and a couple of community posters who can't even spell scalpel. Tell me, how do you numbnuts know someone who is a chief of orthopedic surgery. Don't answer that, because it's rhetorical. You don't know. You're just incredibely insecure and have nothing better to do than to worry about something that the patient himself and his camp aren't even worried about. You're stupid. Now move on.

Batz
10-21-2012, 08:17 PM
this.

Doctors never guarantee anything because they know their license would be in jeopardy.

A human body doesn't go according to plan like a cooking receipe.
**** you.

KeyNote
10-21-2012, 08:19 PM
sounds about right...I always thought he would be ready for opening night based on when he had the surgery and when opening night is

:bowdown: @ me

WillyJakk
10-22-2012, 01:42 AM
"Misdiagnosed by the Magic medical staff".

Same thing happened here w/ Grant Hill (ankle repair/ surgery early 2000's) who was kinda outraged by their medical team as well.

Noof
10-22-2012, 01:47 AM
:bowdown: @ me
:lol

chips93
01-07-2013, 10:51 PM
bump

Graviton
01-07-2013, 11:06 PM
I guess the doctor didn't know wtf he was talking about. Howard can't even get his head to rim level, is barely finishing off open dunks. Before he used to just rise above the rim and make ridiculous dunks off any shitty pass.

Scoooter
01-07-2013, 11:08 PM
I imagine Dwight's back is a lot better than Andrew Bynum's knees. He did just have 26 rebounds.

Mrofir
01-07-2013, 11:26 PM
Dwight needed brain surgery in addition to back surgery. Lakers about to start winning games. Not a winning streak, but we will see them come together. If there are any chemistry issues with D12 the rest of the team is salivating to show the world exactly that.

I<3NBA
01-08-2013, 01:38 PM
I guess the doctor didn't know wtf he was talking about. Howard can't even get his head to rim level, is barely finishing off open dunks. Before he used to just rise above the rim and make ridiculous dunks off any shitty pass.
the doctor was paid off so that Howard's value wouldn't go down.

tomtucker
01-08-2013, 01:42 PM
He only took care of Dwight

Mr Exlax
01-08-2013, 02:19 PM
For what it's worth, I had the exact same surgery on 8/31/12 and I still haven't been able to play any sports. In my case, I was actually better before the back surgery.

ZeN
01-08-2013, 03:00 PM
I hate D12's general attitude and the way he approaches the game of basketball but regardless of all that, the numbers he has been posting up after having serious back surgery is impressive. People build up unreasonable expectations and create false impressions without taking serious consideration over the situations' details. Dwight has been contributing sufficiently considering his condition but his attitude is skewed since hes in no position to act as if that same play isnt flawed and limited. But at least hes laughing and enjoying himself.. so I guess, (according to him) is all that should count.

Bandito
01-08-2013, 03:28 PM
He needs to talk to someone like Chuck Norris and see if he can get his manliness back. Man that v*gina needs some serious talking to.