PDA

View Full Version : Awesome tweets about the Gasols playing for Spain

chains5000
08-13-2012, 06:37 AM
Scroll down a bit for the tweets
http://www.sport.es/es/noticias/juegos-olimpicos/por-que-gasol-juega-con-espana-2184067
:roll:

gtfomyface
08-13-2012, 06:44 AM
if i wasn't that aware i'd probably think the same :lol

but the " i thought he was american not spanish" is just :hammerhead:

mentallooser
08-13-2012, 06:46 AM
We're pretty damn stupid as a nation it seems.

Sakkreth
08-13-2012, 06:48 AM
Nothing new from americans.

chains5000
08-13-2012, 06:48 AM
We're pretty damn stupid as a nation it seems.
I wouldn't generalize, there's ignorant people everywhere.

Sakkreth
08-13-2012, 06:49 AM

That's true, but probably nowhere as many as in USA.

strike
08-13-2012, 06:49 AM

I absolutely ASSURE you. Nobody in the UK would make that kind of idiotic remark about someone as high profile here :roll: :roll:

Americans really are the dumbest people in the world

I mean every single tweet regarding that article is the same. It's not even like its one or two, with others correcting them

strike
08-13-2012, 06:51 AM
if i wasn't that aware i'd probably think the same :lol

but the " i thought he was american not spanish" is just :hammerhead:

The best one is

I'm confused as 2 y Pau & Marc Gasol R playing 4 Spain? I know they're from Spain but they're American so R they also playing 4 team #USA?

Clown thinks the Gasols played for BOTH teams. how the ff would that even work

blacknapalm
08-13-2012, 06:53 AM
man, i had to cringe at almost all of those. lol @ the person who said americans were playing for other countries :oldlol:

chains5000
08-13-2012, 06:53 AM
I find it weird how Gasol is playing for Spain and he's on an American team. That's so stupid
MY favourite one, the irony...

SyRyanYang
08-13-2012, 06:54 AM
They are likely just people who don't follow basketball regularly, don't make too big a deal out of it.

SAKOTXA
08-13-2012, 06:55 AM
Most of those are by women...what did you expect?

SyRyanYang
08-13-2012, 06:56 AM
MY favourite one, the irony...
By "American team" I think he/she meant the Lakers, which is from a US league. Try to be understanding

Legacy
08-13-2012, 06:58 AM
Americans proving why Americans are the most stupid people in the world :oldlol:

SyRyanYang
The best one is

Clown thinks the Gasols played for BOTH teams. how the ff would that even work
Don't you know people can have more than one nationality? Which means they get to choose to play for either country. :coleman: :coleman:

chains5000
By "American team" I think he/she meant the Lakers, which is from a US league. Try to be understanding
I can understand her not knowing how things work, but the "That's so stupid" line is great

strike
08-13-2012, 07:00 AM
Don't you know people can have more than one nationality? Which means they get to choose to play for either country. :coleman: :coleman:

I'm laughing at the suggestion that they are playing for BOTh teams

Faptastrophe
08-13-2012, 07:01 AM
Someone please post all the screenshots from the Olympics thread.
The ignorance is strong with them.

Americans proving why Americans are the most stupid people in the world :oldlol:
Every country has stupid people, but Americans seem to be the only ones proud of it. (Again, not all Americans..)

strike
08-13-2012, 07:02 AM
:roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

are you sure gasol is mexican? cause that ***** be looking white as hail LOL

dunksby
08-13-2012, 07:02 AM
Nobody believes there is a black ball player in the NBA who aint American :lol

So serge ibaka not playin for USA? I’m confused..

Rubio2Gasol
08-13-2012, 07:06 AM
I lol'd.

Yung D-Will
08-13-2012, 07:10 AM
I absolutely ASSURE you. Nobody in the UK would make that kind of idiotic remark about someone as high profile here :roll: :roll:

I mean every single tweet regarding that article is the same. It's not even like its one or two, with others correcting them

High Profile? Please.

These generalizations about the intelligence of Americans, would probably make sense if Americans in general had any clue about Nba basketball or international basketball. Most of those tweets are obviously, I mean glaringly, coming from casual baskeball fans who only watched the game because it was the gold medal game. How do I know? Check their twitters, was anyone speaking about Luis Scola or Manu Ginobili playing on the Argentina team like four days ago? No. Were they lesser Nba players? No. This clearly demonstrates that their interest in basketball was virtually non-existent until the gold medal game, which is reflected in their tweets .

What people do on twitter, especially when it comes to events like the Nba finals, or the Olympics, is that casual fans will try to give insight, or state opinions, that make their followers believe that they have some sort of knowledge about the sport. It's always been that way, in fact my best friend in real life does it, and when I actually ask her about a bench player, she tries to quickly change the subject.

Knowledge about Nba Basketball/International basketball, isn't something the majority of the population possess. And the majority of basketball fans, are casual fans who lack knowledge about basketball outside of the big names like Kobe and Lebron. In fact judging from those tweets, I'd be really surprised if any of those people have actually watched Marc play in the nba.

And yes I'm sure, In the UK, a place where people are even less intrested in Basketball than the US, they'd clearly be educated on the subject. When you start generalizing casual basketball fans, as a reflection on the entire American population, then you're clearly reaching.

hawkfan
08-13-2012, 07:10 AM

--------

:roll: :roll: :roll:

This is the best one by far.
First of all he's Spanish, not Mexican.
Second, all Mexicans aren't brown skinned.
Third, Spain and Mexico are two different countries.
Fourth, and most important, Spain was playing the U.S. not Mexico.

:facepalm

Noof
08-13-2012, 07:11 AM
Damn those people are ignorant.

strike
08-13-2012, 07:13 AM
High Profile? Please.

These generalizations about the intelligence of Americans, would probably make sense if Americans in general had any clue about Nba basketball or international basketball. Most of those tweets are obviously, I mean glaringly, coming from casual baskeball fans who only watched the game because it was the gold medal game. How do I know? Check their twitters, was anyone speaking about Tony Parker playing on the French team? No, and he's probably been a bigger name the past six years than Gasol.

What people do on twitter, especially when it comes to events like the Nba finals, or the Olympics, is that casual fans will try to give insight, or state opinions, that make their followers believe that they have some sort of knowledge about the sport. It's always been that way, in fact my best friend in real life does it, and when I actually ask her about a bench player, she tries to quickly change the subject.

Knowledge about Nba Basketball/International basketball, isn't something the majority of the population possess. And the majority of basketball fans, are casual fans who lack knowledge outside of basketball outside of the big names like Kobe and Lebron. In fact judging from those tweets, I'd be really surprised if any of those people have actually watched Marc play in the nba.

And yes I'm sure, In the UK, a place where people are even less intrested in Basketball than the US, they'd clearly be educated on the subject. When you start generalizing casual basketball fans, as a reflection on the entire American population, then you're clearly reaching.

Blaa-Blaa mate :roll:

Don't even try to defend this one

If you took someone with Gasols stature in the UK, playing in the premier league, I guarantee you next to nobody would make an idiotic comment like ''WTF?! why's he playing for Spain?!?!''.

Americans geographical knowledge is the worst.

strike
08-13-2012, 07:14 AM

--------

Took the words out of my mouth

Yung D-Will
08-13-2012, 07:23 AM
Blaa-Blaa mate :roll:

Don't even try to defend this one

If you took someone with Gasols stature in the UK, playing in the premier league, I guarantee you next to nobody would make an idiotic comment like ''WTF?! why's he playing for Spain?!?!''.

Americans geographical knowledge is the worst.

No, not even close. In America being in a premier league has no relevance, only being a big name does. Why do most casual fans know Dirk is German? Because they only payed attention in the Nba finals and saw what he was doing in 2011. Being American, holds no requirement for you to have basic knowledge of basketball players or sports players in general. Most American's aren't sports fans, and therefore have no reason to know where Gasol's from, besides when they watch the occasional Laker game and see Gasol playing on an American team.

The Choken One
08-13-2012, 07:28 AM
Generalizing American stupidity because girls from the ages of about 14 to 20 tweeting about a sport they know nothing about... seems smart.

ISH proving to be about as smart as the tweeters in the article.

Congrats morons. :cheers: Strike in particular. :lol

Blue&Orange
Most of those tweets are obviously, I mean glaringly, coming from casual baskeball fans who only watched the game because it was the gold medal game.
And you failed to see the stupidity in those tweets have nothing to do with having or not having knowledge of game of basketball, and it's best league, NBA.

But dumb thread regardless.

ZenMaster
No, not even close. In America being in a premier league has no relevance, only being a big name does. Why do most casual fans know Dirk is German? Because they only payed attention in the Nba finals and saw what he was doing in 2011. Being American, holds no requirement for you to have basic knowledge of basketball players or sports players in general. Most American's aren't sports fans, and therefore have no reason to know where Gasol's from, besides when they watch the occasional Laker game and see Gasol playing on an American team.

It's not just not knowing he's from Spain, there are plenty of tweets there with people arguing he should be American because he makes money there and lives there, that's straight up stupid.

Yung D-Will
08-13-2012, 07:32 AM
It's not just not knowing he's from Spain, there are plenty of tweets there with people arguing he should be American because he makes money there and lives there, that's straight up stupid.
And? That's has much more to do with people not understanding that just because you live in America and play in the nba, you're not legally required to play for the American national team. In fact, if they'd actually watch the Nba they'd realize, foreign basketball players, not playing for team Usa is the norm around this time.

Yung D-Will
08-13-2012, 07:35 AM
And you failed to see the stupidity in those tweets have nothing to do with having or not having knowledge of game of basketball, and it's best league, NBA.

But dumb thread regardless.

95% of those tweets, demonstrate a clear lack of knowledge about Basketball, both Nba and international. I don't judge casual fans intelligence, by their lack of understanding about the Nba/International basketball. Not understanding why Gasol isn't on team Usa, does not translate to having a low IQ.

b1imtf
08-13-2012, 07:35 AM
Holy ****

Blue&Orange
08-13-2012, 07:36 AM
And? That's has much more to do with people not understanding that just because you live in America and play in the nba, you're not legally required to play for the American national team.
And... that's incredibly stupid and ignorant.

ZenMaster
08-13-2012, 07:38 AM
And? That's has much more to do with people not understanding that just because you live in America and play in the nba, you're not legally required to play for the American national team. In fact, if they'd actually watch the Nba they'd realize, foreign basketball players, not playing for team Usa is the norm around this time.

Excatly!! People should know just because you live and work in the US your passport doesn't need to say US. And if you have no idea on the subject then you shouldn't be making claims on why the Gasols are bad people for not playing on team US... Judging people on subjects you know nothing about its stupidity at its finest.

ooohhh2
08-13-2012, 07:39 AM
Didn't read the thread but Gasol seems to really like touching heads :lol
http://estaticos.sport.es/resources/jpg/5/9/1344844183795.jpg

Yung D-Will
08-13-2012, 07:39 AM
And... that's incredibly stupid and ignorant.

But that has little relevance, to anything having to do with general intelligence, and only demonstrates a lack of understanding for how Nba contracts relate to international obligations.

Yung D-Will
08-13-2012, 07:43 AM
Excatly!! People should know just because you live and work in the US your passport doesn't need to say US. And if you have no idea on the subject then you shouldn't be making claims on why the Gasols are bad people for not playing on team US... Judging people on subjects you know nothing about its stupidity at its finest.

That's exactly the essence of social media during any event, doesn't matter if it's sports, political or anything else. Look back at the Treyvon Martian incident, where everyone assumed the role of both homicide detectives, and the final judge and jury on facebook. Everyone wants to have a part in the moment, whether they research the subject or not.

Social media sites like twitter, are completely controlled by people who find sanctuary within their own ignorance.

Blue&Orange
08-13-2012, 07:51 AM
95% of those tweets, demonstrate a clear lack of knowledge about Basketball, both Nba and international. I don't judge casual fans intelligence, by their lack of understanding about the Nba/International basketball. Not understanding why Gasol isn't on team Usa, does not translate to having a low IQ.
Expecting someone to play for two countries, expecting someone form Thailand to play for USA because their professional job is in the USA, etc... have nothing to do with knowledge of the game.

People with high IQ don't make stupid ignorant questions on twitter, hell, high IQ people don't use twitter.

i don't know why you are defending a bunch of rednecks that have access to the Internet.

eurobum
08-13-2012, 07:54 AM
If you live in America, Work in America, speak english, and pay Taxes here - are you not American?? Gausol's and Ibaka!! - American's!!

:roll: a grown ass man, too. damn, he's dumb.

NOHCP3
08-13-2012, 07:56 AM
Didn't read the thread but Gasol seems to really like touching heads :lol

Kobe :"How many f*cking shots did you miss out there tonight"
Gasol: "I know man, I love you too"

*roll credits*

Or....or...

Kobe: "You didn't pass me the gotdamn ball like I taught you"
Gasol:" I wasn't on your team bro *touches Kobe's head* I wasn't on your team"

Jax
08-13-2012, 08:00 AM
Dumb bitches, all I'm gonna say. It's like those Bulls stans, "who is this Thibodeau guy?"

hawkfan
08-13-2012, 08:11 AM

This picture says it all.

Dragonyeuw
08-13-2012, 08:18 AM
Those tweets......:facepalm

Yung D-Will
08-13-2012, 08:19 AM
Expecting someone to play for two countries, expecting someone form Thailand to play for USA because their professional job is in the USA, etc... have nothing to do with knowledge of the game.

People with high IQ don't make stupid ignorant questions on twitter, hell, high IQ people don't use twitter.

i don't know why you are defending a bunch of rednecks that have access to the Internet.
Yes it does, I don't see how you can separate"knowing whether someone from the Nba is required to play on team Usa" from knowledge of the game.

I'm defending them because I think they're being subjected to unwarranted amounts of criticism, for lacking knowledge on the obligations Nba players have to their national team. I'm one of the harshest critics of my own country, but If you're going to question their Iq, do it about politics, wars, or something that should actually be relevant to Americans, sports knowledge is a luxury not a necessity.

strike
08-13-2012, 08:53 AM
lol at young D-Will trying to defend this

It's ok. I'm sure you're not as stupid as the people tweeting that nonsense.

jstern
08-13-2012, 08:56 AM
I read the 1st page and I think the people on ISH are the dumb ones. It's just so obvious that the people leaving the dumb comments on the article are just playing along to 1st original dumb comment, which could have been legit or also just a joke.

Fact of the matter is that most people are stupid. In fact more Europeans think that the Sun goes around the Earth than Americans.

SpanishACB
08-13-2012, 08:58 AM

I get your point, and it's fair. I think the thing that tends to tick foreigners off about americans is their lack of international awareness. They assume things just because without stopping 5 seconds to think about it or do research.

There's really no excuse for that, they might be casual fans, but that shouldn't stop them from realizing the difference between a national sports league and the olympics, sorry but being a "casual" fan is no excuse for such blatant ignorance.

gasolina
08-13-2012, 08:58 AM
Wasnt gasol in the finals from 2008-2010

SpanishACB
08-13-2012, 08:59 AM
I read the 1st page and I think the people on ISH are the dumb ones. It's just so obvious that the people leaving the dumb comments on the article are just playing along to 1st original dumb comment, which could have been legit or also just a joke.

They're not playing along it's only a selection of the dumb comments put there for the reader's pleasure

jstern
08-13-2012, 09:00 AM
They're not playing along it's only a selection of the dumb comments put there for the reader's pleasure

I see, I'll check it out. Mostly girls though, not people I expect to watch basketball.

Rake2204
08-13-2012, 09:00 AM
A significant portion of those tweets are ridiculous but considering the insane amount of people who tweet, tweet without thinking, and enjoy garnering attention for tweeting without thinking, coming across 10 horrible tweets isn't too surprising.

On the flip side, I'll cut people some slack for Serge Ibaka. I honestly thought he was fully Congolese prior to these Olympics. I was not aware he moved to Spain as a teen.

Sakkreth
08-13-2012, 09:01 AM

Fact of the matter is that most people are stupid. In fact more Europeans think that the Sun goes around the Earth than Americans.

Wait you are from USA and you know that Earth goes around the Sun ? I must admit, impessive :applause:

Yung D-Will
08-13-2012, 09:04 AM
Wasnt gasol in the finals from 2008-2010
Yes but Gasol wasn't that guy. 95% of casual fans I know only seemed to notice what Kobe did on the court. Dirk is memorable because people were looking because of Lebron, and they found out this 7 foot German guy was pretty damn good.

Yung D-Will
08-13-2012, 09:10 AM
I get your point, and it's fair. I think the thing that tends to tick foreigners off about americans is their lack of international awareness. They assume things just because without stopping 5 seconds to think about it or do research.

There's really no excuse for that, they might be casual fans, but that shouldn't stop them from realizing the difference between a national sports league and the olympics, sorry but being a "casual" fan is no excuse for such blatant ignorance.

Don't generalize, I've talked to plenty of Europeans who assume things about our country, that I've proved false very quickly. Just because a lot of Americans lack an understanding of foreign affairs, don't start blindly generalizing. I go out of my way to learn things about countries, that will never have anything to do with my life.

What? Before I was an Nba fan If I witnessed Ginobilli playing on the spurs, and then I saw him on the Argentinian team, I would have been confused because I lacked the basic knowledge of how these things work. Being a "Casual" fan is a complete excuse for not knowing how international basketball leagues work.

Yung D-Will
08-13-2012, 09:17 AM
lol at young D-Will trying to defend this

It's ok. I'm sure you're not as stupid as the people tweeting that nonsense.

I find someone generalizing a country by a few tweets, just as stupid as the tweeters in this situation.

jstern
08-13-2012, 09:18 AM
Wait you are from USA and you know that Earth goes around the Sun ? I must admit, impessive :applause:

The point is that people are dumb in general, doesn't matter where they're from. A good percentage of people think that the Sun goes around the Earth. And percentage wise even more Europeans think the same.

I just think it's very ignorant to make a compilation of dumb comments and come to the conclusion that a whole nation is dumb based on those comments.

I don't care if the country is the US or Australia, I defend them all when it comes to stuff like this, because everyone is pretty much the same.

I remember going to failed first questions of "Who Wants Be a Millionaire." So many different countries have their own version. Pick a random country, lets say Egypt. The contestant answers the easy question wrong, and in the comment section all the comments are about how stupid the Egyptians are. Meanwhile the vast majority of people are so stupid that they don't even notice that the Egyptian crowed is laughing their asses off pointing at the contestant because he answer such a simple question wrong. Yet the majority of people lump that crowd of Egyptians in with the dumb contestant.

It's the same thing if the contestant was an American. You watch it at home and laugh at the person for getting it wrong, yet have no idea that on YouTube Europeans are going to be lumping you in with that dumb person, because as humans their dumb as **** too.

SpanishACB
08-13-2012, 09:22 AM
. Being a "Casual" fan is a complete excuse for not knowing how international basketball leagues work.

Thing is, it's basically how ALL international team sports work. It's not a basketball thing, it's how the international sports competition works. To be an adult and not have a basic understanding of this is plain ignorance, specially the last day of the olympics.

The people writting those tweets do not even watch the news or read newspapers.

You're clearly an intelligent man, I'm not sure why you insist in defending those people, we're all aware the USA is very big and that stupid people live everywhere, however, lack of international awareness in USA is an actual concern, you're better off identifying the problem than to try and defend that it's the norm.

Are you defending their modus operandis? These tweeters had a concern, and if they're on tweeter they're online, so what stopped them from checking the internet? You're only defending their way of acting by defending their actions. You're better off calling them for what they really are, dumb ****s.

They're not casual fans, they're idiots. Someone doesn't need to be a basketball fan or even a sports fan to realize how the Olympics work. If you see Gasol play for Spain and you're so ignorant that it shocks you, well, it's even more ignorant to ask why, instead of looking up why. Don't defend these people please.

SpanishACB
08-13-2012, 09:24 AM
The point is that people are dumb in general, doesn't matter where they're from. A good percentage of people think that the Sun goes around the Earth. And percentage wise even more Europeans think the same.

I just think it's very ignorant to make a compilation of dumb comments and come to the conclusion that a whole nation is dumb based on those comments.

I don't care if the country is the US or Australia, I defend them all when it comes to stuff like this, because everyone is pretty much the same.

I remember going to failed first questions of "Who Wants Be a Millionaire." So many different countries have their own version. Pick a random country, lets say Egypt. The contestant answers the easy question wrong, and in the comment section all the comments are about how stupid the Egyptians are. Meanwhile the vast majority of people are so stupid that they don't even notice that the Egyptian crowed is laughing their asses off pointing at the contestant because he answer such a simple question wrong. Yet the majority of people lump that crowd of Egyptians in with the dumb contestant.

It's the same thing if the contestant was an American. You watch it at home and laugh at the person for getting it wrong, yet have no idea that on YouTube Europeans are going to be lumping you in with that dumb person, because as humans their dumb as **** too.

"Everyone is the same" card, how diplomatic, pity it just doesn't work like that in real life.

Americans rank amongst the lowest when it comes to International subjects such as geography or just plain knowing how the world functions outside their borders.
http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news/2002/11/1120_021120_GeoRoperSurvey.html
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/steven-shehori/poll-37-of-americans-unab_b_150933.html

It's not their fault, globalization of things like the media goes around the USA so they're basically not being helped out of international unawareness.

This ain't a generalization, I know there's very smart Americans and very dumb Europeans, but it is indeed something that happens in the States, and saying "everyone is the same" in hopes it goes away won't work.

edit: to clarify, I'm American, lived in Boston until I was 12 and after that moved to Europe and have been living in various places

Yung D-Will
08-13-2012, 09:30 AM
Thing is, it's basically how ALL international team sports work. It's not a basketball thing, it's how the international sports competition works. To be an adult and not have a basic understanding of this is plain ignorance, specially the last day of the olympics.

The people writting those tweets do not even watch the news or read newspapers.

You're clearly an intelligent man, I'm not sure why you insist in defending those people, we're all aware the USA is very big and that stupid people live everywhere, however, lack of international awareness in USA is an actual concern, you're better off identifying the problem than to try and defend that it's the norm.

Are you defending their modus operandis? These tweeters had a concern, and if they're on tweeter they're online, so what stopped them from checking the internet? You're only defending their way of acting by defending their actions. You're better off calling them for what they really are, dumb ****s.

They're not casual fans, they're idiots. Someone doesn't need to be a basketball fan or even a sports fan to realize how the Olympics work. If you see Gasol play for Spain and you're so ignorant that it shocks you, well, it's even more ignorant to ask why, instead of looking up why. Don't defend these people please.

I'll defend anyone I feel comes up against unfair level of criticism.

And who's to say they didn't understand the basics of how international basketball works. Understanding how nba players translate to the international game, is far more than having a basic understanding of international sports. If someone asked me how soccer teams translate to the olympics, I'd give them a face, because I'm completely ignorant on the subject.

But I'll just agree to disagree, because I can't phantom how this level of criticism is warranted.

SpanishACB
08-13-2012, 09:33 AM
And who's to say they didn't understand the basic of how international basketball works. Understanding how nba players translate to the international game, is far more than having a basic understanding of international sports. If someone asked me how soccer teams translate to the olympics, I'd give them a face, because I'm completely ignorant on the subject.

Here be a revelation for you: all olympic team sports work the same way as do all international competitions (football world cups, the olympics, handball, volleyball, anything) when it regards national teams. There's no differentiation; if the last day of the olympics you dare ask in tweeter why Gasol doesn't play for USA if he's American you're naive. If the last day of the olympics you ask why Gasol doesn't play for USA even though you realize he's Spanish but because he plays in the NBA, same result, you're naive. We're calling things for their name, what's the fuss?

And yes, you'd be equally ignorant for asking a question you could look up in 2 seconds or just plain resolve alone with the use of common sense.

There's nothing to defend, you're just butt hurt because people are taking the chance to claim the USA is ignorant as a whole, be above all that because you're defending the undefensible.

Johnni Gade
08-13-2012, 09:36 AM
Nothing new. People cant think

Yung D-Will
08-13-2012, 09:40 AM
Here be a revelation for you: all olympic team sports work the same way in all international competitions (football world cups, the olympics, handball, volleyball, anything) when it regards national teams.

How else?

And yes, you'd be equally ignorant for asking a question you could look up in 2 seconds or just plain resolve alone with the use of common sense.

There's nothing to defend, you're just butt hurt because people are taking the chance to claim the USA is ignorant as a whole, be above all that because you're defending the undefensible.

Well considering, I have no understanding of how soccer clubs works on a state by state basis anyway, It's not as obvious to me.

I'm defending people, because they're being unfairly criticized for having a lack of knowledge about International Sports. I'm not but-hurt, because I'm not buying into a misrepresentation of my country, based on a social media site.

blablabla
08-13-2012, 09:43 AM
girls:facepalm

Yung D-Will
Knowledge about International Sports is nothing close to a necessity in my opinion. Knowledge about sports in general isn't needed. I'll be the first to criticize my fellow Americans, for lack of knowledge about our true foreign policy, but I'll never criticize them for not understanding international sporting events.

SpanishACB
I'm not buying into a misrepresentation of my country, based on a social media site.

So you don't agree that USA is rock bottom when it comes to international awareness and basic understanding amongst the top dev. countries?

It's not about how international sports work dude, it's having enough common sense to realize that there's a difference between national teams and league teams, I mean, surely these people noticed Lebron James plays for both USA and the Miami Heat. Mind blow moment I take it.

And it's fair enough you're ignorant in regards to "soccer", but would it have been really that hard to realize for yourself that the Spanish "soccer" team is most likely composed of um... the best Spanish players regardless or what team they play for? Same for Rugby and anything else, really.

jstern
08-13-2012, 09:44 AM
"Everyone is the same" card, how diplomatic, pity it just doesn't work like that in real life.

Americans rank amongst the lowest when it comes to International subjects such as geography or just plain knowing how the world functions outside their borders.
http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news/2002/11/1120_021120_GeoRoperSurvey.html
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/steven-shehori/poll-37-of-americans-unab_b_150933.html

It's not their fault, globalization of things like the media goes around the USA so they're basically not being helped out of international unawareness.

This ain't a generalization, I know there's very smart Americans and very dumb Europeans, but it is indeed something that happens in the States, and saying "everyone is the same" in hopes it goes away won't work.

edit: to clarify, I'm American, lived in Boston until I was 12 and after that moved to Europe and have been living in various places

By everyone is the same I meant IQ wise, since they all have the same human genetics, and haven't been separated for thousands of years. Everyone is still an individual.

Like I've said, most people are dumb as ****, and I wouldn't expect them to know much about the world, whether they're Americans or not. You're giving figures that focuses on the US that doesn't give data about the other ignorant beliefs of other countries. And I also believe that the casual people from Mexico and the US would in general would have a harder time finding Afghanistan on a world map compared to people from that part side of the world, just because of location. Just like a person from Europe is going to have a harder time finding different states on a US map, which are bigger than most countries. I think more of them would have a harder time finding a country like Cuba. Or smaller countries in South America.

Do you think the average European teenage girls more concern with twitter and their life are going to be any less ignorant about things than those cherry picked girls on that article of similar profile?

I've been to other countries, and I've heard ignorant things accepted as fact, like people in Alaska or cold places don't shower, because it's too cold. Completely ignorant of heat in the house and hot water. People are ignorant in general.

Yung D-Will
08-13-2012, 09:47 AM
So you don't agree that USA is rock bottom when it comes to international awareness and basic understanding amongst the top dev. countries?

If you're talking about our education system, yes, It's clearly failing for a variety of reasons, all which I've attempted to point out many times. We have an education system, that's very American centric, and avoids any subject that might portray America in a negative light, in terms of foreign policy. All our geography classes, are primarily only based on our country.

SpanishACB
08-13-2012, 09:50 AM
If you're talking about our education system, yes, It's clearly failing for a variety of reasons, all which I've attempted to point out many times. We have an education system, that's very American centric, and avoids any subject that might portray America in a negative light, in terms of foreign policy. All our geography classes, are primarily only based on our country.

And don't you think that might have anything to do with all this?

Yung D-Will
08-13-2012, 09:52 AM
And don't you think that might have anything to do with all this?
You're talking about two completely different subjects.

I'll be the first to criticize an American for not knowing about the 7/7 attacks in England. However, I won't criticize them for not knowing what the English national team is composed of, and how their players translate to international play.

kNicKz
08-13-2012, 09:56 AM
The Ibaka question is valid, dude is not from Spain lol, he's just got citizenship there in his late teens

SpanishACB
08-13-2012, 09:57 AM
I won't criticize them for not knowing what the English national team is composed of, and how their players translate to international play.

Then let's agree to disagree. I think it's common knowledge that the English national team is composed of English players, but that's only because I know what the word national means, something that might scape to some other americans.

I feel the world has given them enough hints on how it all works, it's the last day of the olympics, they've seen Kobe and Durant play for different teams yet they take for granted they play for team USA because duh, they're american. There's also the press, the media and basically watching olympics all these days to come to that same conlusion (I mean, come on, olympics, people represent their country). If you think someone is in his own right to ignore all these clues and not take the 5 seconds it takes to load wikipedia but yet log on to twitter to make such a question is not proof of someone being naive or ignorant, then so be it.

derb2k2
08-13-2012, 10:01 AM
i'd venture to say that most people who are into that social media thing aren't true sports fans and tweet about sports just for the attention. with taht being said, those comments are all pretty stupid. It's sort of embarrasing but we're not all like that.

Rockets(T-mac)
08-13-2012, 10:09 AM
"Just realised gasol is a spanish"
:oldlol:

Jailblazers7
08-13-2012, 10:13 AM
Not nearly as bad as all the tweets about moving to Canada after Obamacare was passed by the Supreme court. At least most of those tweets were from girls who probably don't follow/understand bball.

Flagrant 2
08-13-2012, 11:20 AM
No wonder governments can easily enslave their own people while still making them believe that they're "free".

FKAri
08-13-2012, 01:17 PM
by this reasoning Messi and Ronaldo should play for Spain. Oh the dominance :bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown:

btw this reminds me of how my mom thought Vince Carter was Canadian when he played for the Raptors. lol

bmulls
08-13-2012, 01:27 PM

So a dozen people out of 300 million define an entire country?

And nobody in the UK would ever say anything ignorant?

Google "irony".

boozehound
08-13-2012, 01:28 PM
what a bunch of idiots. and we wonder why the american public is regarded as a bunch of shallow self-absorbed assholes with low Iqs. because its unfortunately more true than most of us care to admit

bmulls
08-13-2012, 01:35 PM
what a bunch of idiots. and we wonder why the american public is regarded as a bunch of shallow self-absorbed assholes with low Iqs. because its unfortunately more true than most of us care to admit

Because somebody cherry picked a few tweets from a country of over 300 million people? They look like teenage girls too.

Oh well, I expect more "Americans are sooo dumb lol" posts in the wake of our recent Olympic domination :rockon:

SilkkTheShocker
08-13-2012, 01:38 PM
Nothing new from americans.

You live in the a.sshole of Europe. STFU

boozehound
08-13-2012, 01:38 PM
Because somebody cherry picked a few tweets from a country of over 300 million people? They look like teenage girls too.

Oh well, I expect more "Americans are sooo dumb lol" posts in the wake of our recent Olympic domination :rockon:
wtf does that have to do with anything? Did you win a medal? And, yes, this country is full of ignorant self-absorbed people who know more about the inside of snookies vag than they do about the history of life on this planet or basic physics or the fundamental chemical principles of life.

besides only 8% of americans on the internet have a twitter account. SO at best its 30 million people and probably a lot more like 10.

http://www.mediabistro.com/alltwitter/eight-percent-of-american-internet-users-are-on-twitter-study_b922

Its not just not knowing, its the sheer ignorance to broadcast it across the web. combine that with the ridiculous position of "you live in america, work in america, you are a goddamn american" presented in some of those tweets (Let me guess, that attitude doesnt apply to your average mexican here). Id be defensive and embarrassed just like you if I cared anymore.

SilkkTheShocker
08-13-2012, 01:43 PM
wtf does that have to do with anything? Did you win a medal? And, yes, this country is full of ignorant self-absorbed people who know more about the inside of snookies vag than they do about the history of life on this planet or basic physics or the fundamental chemical principles of life.

Can whatever s.hitty country you live in afford books? Don't talk down on the USA, son. We will bomb your ass off the f.ucking planet and not even think twice about it.

LJJ
08-13-2012, 01:46 PM
Just as bad as this:

http://www.gigwise.com/news/75410/ed-sheeran-fans-mistake-pink-floyd-hit-for-new-song

(ed-sheeran-fans-mistake-pink-floyd-hit-for-new-song)

Now, I don't know who this Ed Sheeran fellow is, but how the hell do his fan en masse not know WYWH?

boozehound
08-13-2012, 01:47 PM
Can whatever s.hitty country you live in afford books? Don't talk down on the USA, son. We will bomb your ass off the f.ucking planet and not even think twice about it.
another shining example of the US education system at work here. Notice in my post you cited, I refer to the us as "this" country, which any educated person would recognize means I am from, or at the very least in, said country. Go back to making ignorant statements about basketball. You are marginally better at it.

General
08-13-2012, 01:51 PM
http://www.japanprobe.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/08/kyle-senchak.png
http://www.japanprobe.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/08/pearl-harbor-twitter-japan-soccer-490x727.png
http://www.japanprobe.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/08/american-patriots-490x596.png
Encore to this:applause:

SilkkTheShocker
08-13-2012, 01:53 PM
another shining example of the US education system at work here. Notice in my post you cited, I refer to the us as "this" country, which any educated person would recognize means I am from, or at the very least in, said country. Go back to making ignorant statements about basketball. You are marginally better at it.

If you don't like it here, than get the f.uck out. Maybe you will fit in better in Canada

bmulls
08-13-2012, 01:56 PM

besides only 8% of americans on the internet have a twitter account. SO at best its 30 million people and probably a lot more like 10.

http://www.mediabistro.com/alltwitter/eight-percent-of-american-internet-users-are-on-twitter-study_b922

Its not just not knowing, its the sheer ignorance to broadcast it across the web. combine that with the ridiculous position of "you live in america, work in america, you are a goddamn american" presented in some of those tweets (Let me guess, that attitude doesnt apply to your average mexican here). Id be defensive and embarrassed just like you if I cared anymore.

So Twitter users speak for all Americans now? What does the % of Twitter users have to do with anything? There are dumbasses in every corner of the globe, just so happens our country is wealthy enough that our dumbasses can afford to voice their opinions on the internet in mass.

Europeans: "Americans are soooo fat and sooo stupid lol FREE healthcare that I pay extra taxes for!!!!"

When was the last time a reputable US news source took shots at another country based on stereotypes?

We just smoked the Olympics and landed on fcking Mars and the haters are still hating.

IGotACoolStory
08-13-2012, 01:58 PM
Most of those are by women...what did you expect?

No kidding. They need to shut their mouths and make me a sandwich.

AngelEyes
08-13-2012, 02:06 PM

And the thing that pisses me off about people like you (outsiders looking in) is the tendency to generalize all Americans. Simply from reading this thread I can tell there aren't many intelligent people on it.

AngelEyes
08-13-2012, 02:10 PM

It's not more true than we'd like to admit. This is a massive country, much bigger than the U.K., so there's going to be more idiots. Twitter serves as an outlet for these dolts. To make any generalizations on Americans based on the twitter comments of people is very stupid. This country has many intelligent, culturally aware people, even if some of you wouldn't like to admit it.

KelticForce1349
08-13-2012, 02:19 PM

--------

Yeah, that quote was the winner in a pile of losers. The ignorance is actually scary. I don't give a damn how patriotic some Americans insist on being, these kinds of quotes are why people from all around the world laugh at Americans.

We are an angry mob of fat, spoiled, hostile, opinionated Jesus lovers with a military we like to roll out for a special event every few years like the latest Kiss reunion/farewell tour.

I be uh American cuz I readed it on insydehoops yall! For realz! Don't beleeve me? I'd juzt quote myself fo proof.

LJJ
08-13-2012, 02:21 PM
And the thing that pisses me off about people like you (outsiders looking in) is the tendency to generalize all Americans. Simply from reading this thread I can tell there aren't many intelligent people on it.

Around 30 percent of Americans actually have a passport, which is exponentially more than what it used to be, but way below the number for a run-of-the-mill first world country.

There are good reasons for Americans being less internationally aware than the rest of the world: it's a massive scale country and it's as much of the center of the world as any part could claim. But it is what it is, American's simply aren't the cultured globetrotters most of the rest of the west consists of.

tomtucker
08-13-2012, 02:26 PM

this strike **** is a ****ing wanker ......ban his homo ass

MrWarrior
08-13-2012, 02:26 PM
The comments on that article is ridiculous.
This just shows that there are many uneducated and ignorant people out there.
Just because someone works in your country, doesn't mean they were born or lived most of their life there.

B-hoop
08-13-2012, 02:27 PM

Sh*t is gold!

AngelEyes
08-13-2012, 02:35 PM
Around 30 percent of Americans actually have a passport, which is exponentially more than what it used to be, but way below the number for a run-of-the-mill first world country.

There are good reasons for Americans being less internationally aware than the rest of the world: it's a massive scale country and it's as much of the center of the world as any part could claim. But it is what it is, American's simply aren't the cultured globetrotters most of the rest of the west consists of.

Is the United States not a very isolated country though? They're surrounded by Canada and Mexico, that's it. Europe has its larger countries but it is also a collection of smaller countries.

SpanishACB
08-13-2012, 02:38 PM
Is the United States not a very isolated country though? They're surrounded by Canada and Mexico, that's it. Europe has its larger countries but it is also a collection of smaller countries.

We are not really arguing the reasons as to why us americans are a notch below when it comes to foreign countries, we're just saying that this particular example (the first post in this thread) is quite a proof that that's the case.

It's bad enough there's examples of that kind of attitude in this thread alone by some (I assume) citizens of the USA but that apparently some of the more intelligent posters here insist on defending it rather than taking a realistic stance on the fact.

The mocking is kind of legit and we shouldn't react to it like this. Patience is a virtue and statistical data proves that (thankfully) americans are traveling more and more outside of the states.

AngelEyes
08-13-2012, 02:43 PM
Yeah, that quote was the winner in a pile of losers. The ignorance is actually scary. I don't give a damn how patriotic some Americans insist on being, these kinds of quotes are why people from all around the world laugh at Americans.

We are an angry mob of fat, spoiled, hostile, opinionated Jesus lovers with a military we like to roll out for a special event every few years like the latest Kiss reunion/farewell tour.

I be uh American cuz I readed it on insydehoops yall! For realz! Don't beleeve me? I'd juzt quote myself fo proof.

No, we're really not. There's a certain segment of society that could be described that way, but all Americans, no, completely ridiculous. This would be an example of a gross generalization. I for one am not angry, not fat, not spoiled, not hostile, and not religious. These are Twitter comments! The people who tweet regularly are not an example of the best this country has to offer nor is it the average American. It's a haven for the stupid who like to overreact to every little thing going on and it's for people who believe they can say anything they want (no matter how stupid) without the threat of consequences.

LJJ
08-13-2012, 02:45 PM

Yup, but that's partially what I mean though. I drive for four hours in one direction and I've arrived someplace where they speak a different language, have a different government/laws/etc, a different history, heritage, personality, different customs, in other words a completely different culture. Hell, depending on the direction I drive I could find myself in least four different countries. Hell, most of the shows on our television are foreign.

Growing up like that you develop a different awareness than when you grow up in the leading country in the world, without much direct incentive or opportunity to go anywhere else because you have everything you need right there.

That's not aimed at anyone in particular, you certainly could have a great international understanding as an American if it interests you in any way, but you can tell why the society as a whole is a bit different in that regard than for instance most European countries.

AngelEyes
08-13-2012, 02:49 PM
We are not really arguing the reasons as to why us americans are a notch below when it comes to foreign countries, we're just saying that this particular example (the first post in this thread) is quite a proof that that's the case.

It's bad enough there's examples of that kind of attitude in this thread alone by some (I assume) citizens of the USA but that apparently some of the more intelligent posters here insist on defending it rather than taking a realistic stance on the fact.

The mocking is kind of legit and we shouldn't react to it like this. Patience is a virtue and statistical data proves that (thankfully) americans are traveling more and more outside of the states.

I understand perfectly well that there are too many ignorant, idiotic people who live in the United States. Comments like that are truly embarrassing, especially considering the Olympics were just going on. The only thing I don't like is when non Americans generalize all Americans as ignorant, stupid and loud when I know that's far from the case. You could easily make any country's people look bad just by posting stupid comments from jackasses on Twitter.

tomtucker
08-13-2012, 02:49 PM
Yup, but that's partially what I mean though. I drive for four hours in one direction and I've arrived someplace where they speak a different language, have a different government/laws/etc, a different history, heritage, personality, different customs, in other words a completely different culture. Hell, depending on the direction I drive I could find myself in least four different countries. Hell, most of the shows on our television are foreign.

Growing up like that you develop a different awareness than when you grow up in the leading country in the world, without much direct incentive or opportunity to go anywhere else because you have everything you need right there.

That's not aimed at anyone in particular, you certainly could have a great international understanding as an American if it interests you in any way, but you can tell why the society as a whole is a bit different in that regard than for instance most European countries.
good stuff

AngelEyes
08-13-2012, 02:55 PM

Good point. Being born in a country like the United States the citizens are not given the incentive to learn about other cultures and the isolated nature of the country does not help. Many people grow up ignorant of these other cultures and come off as rather idiotic when finally exposed to them. Some things in this country certainly need to change, that is one of them.

B-hoop
08-13-2012, 03:05 PM
Good point. Being born in a country like the United States the citizens are not given the incentive to learn about other cultures and the isolated nature of the country does not help. Many people grow up ignorant of these other cultures and come off as rather idiotic when finally exposed to them. Some things in this country certainly need to change, that is one of them.

I'd say that is true if what they were saying in twitter wasn't damn stupid. I mean come on, you don't have to understand a different culture to know that players from another country can play a sport in your country and still not be american..:facepalm

magictricked
08-13-2012, 03:14 PM
Before we toss people from any country under the bus remember not everybody is a sports fan. We know who Gasol plays for and why because we follow the NBA.

Some of these people only follow sports every 4 years when it's force fed to them, notice this didn't become a topic until yesterday when for the first time this Olympics basketball was aired live on a non subscription channel.

I could see a casual sports fan hearing about Gasol here and there over the years and then being confused. Not everyone soaks up sports like we do.

boozehound
08-13-2012, 03:15 PM
It's not more true than we'd like to admit. This is a massive country, much bigger than the U.K., so there's going to be more idiots. Twitter serves as an outlet for these dolts. To make any generalizations on Americans based on the twitter comments of people is very stupid. This country has many intelligent, culturally aware people, even if some of you wouldn't like to admit it.
http://mat.usc.edu/u-s-education-versus-the-world-infographic/
http://www.good.is/post/american-student-performance-slips-again-china-is-number-one/
http://www.all4ed.org/files/IntlComp_FactSheet.pdf

Reading Literacy
In 2003, the United States ranked 15th of 29 OECD countries in reading literacy, and with a score of 495, came in near the OECD average of 500 (U.S. Department of Education. National Center for Education Statistics 2004). However, a printing error invalidated the U.S. reading section of the 2006 PISA assessment, so the current U.S. standing is unknown.
Scientific Literacy
The United States ranks 21st of 30 OECD countries in scientific literacy, and the U.S. score of 489 fell below the OECD average of 500 (OECD 2007b). One quarter (24.4 percent) of U.S. fifteen-year-olds do not reach the baseline level of science achievement. This is the level at which students begin to demonstrate the science competencies that will enable them to use science and technology in life situations (OECD 2007b).

Mathematics Literacy
The United States ranks 25th of 30 OECD countries in mathematics literacy, and the average score of 474 fell well below the OECD average of 498. Scores have not measurably changed since 2003, when the United States ranked 24th of 29 countries (OECD 2007b). Over one quarter (28.1 percent) of American fifteen-year-olds performed below the baseline level of mathematics proficiency at which students begin to demonstrate the kind of skills that enable them to use mathematics actively in daily life (OECD 2007b).
Problem Solving
In 2003, the U.S. ranked 24th of 29 OECD countries in problem solving, and the average score of 477 fell well below the OECD average of 500 (OECD 2004). Half of American students fell below the threshold of problem-solving skills considered necessary to meet emerging workforce demands (OECD 2004). National surveys corroborate this finding; for example, 46 percent of American manufacturers say that their employees have inadequate problem-solving skills (NAM 2005).

Equity in Achievement The United States has an average number of students who perform at the highest proficiency levels, but a much larger proportion who perform at the lowest levels. The United States is the only member country to have relatively high proportions of both top and bottom performers (OECD 2007b).

So, those are the facts. Getting your panties in a twist about it doesnt help improve the outlook of US education.

boozehound
08-13-2012, 03:19 PM
Before we toss people from any country under the bus remember not everybody is a sports fan. We know who Gasol plays for and why because we follow the NBA.

Some of these people only follow sports every 4 years when it's force fed to them, notice this didn't become a topic until yesterday when for the first time this Olympics basketball was aired live on a non subscription channel.

I could see a casual sports fan hearing about Gasol here and there over the years and then being confused. Not everyone soaks up sports like we do.
well, they obviously know who he is since they are referencing him playing for an american team. Thats the point, they are such superficial observers of their activities/entertainment that they have no real frame of reference/understanding.

Burgz V2
08-13-2012, 05:43 PM
reading some of these tweets there are some really stupid people on the internet who should not be using their real names for the sheer shame their comments have brought them

/runonsentence

BaņkShot
08-13-2012, 05:44 PM
Scroll down a bit for the tweets
http://www.sport.es/es/noticias/juegos-olimpicos/por-que-gasol-juega-con-espana-2184067
:oldlol: :oldlol: :applause: