PDA

View Full Version : The Ego of Lebron James and Usain Bolt

AngelEyes
08-13-2012, 07:57 PM
Article about Lebron James and Usain Bolt from the Guardian, interested in what some of you may think about it.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/sport/blog/2012/aug/12/usain-bolt-lebron-james-egos

Optimus Prime
08-13-2012, 08:05 PM
Bolt is very clearly arrogant and full of himself...why not though? He's the best in the world.

LeBron...I don't know. LeBron seems like a pretty chill dude, but then he has "King" and "Chosen One" tattooed on this body. :confusedshrug:

:kobe:

KyrieTheFuture
08-13-2012, 08:06 PM
LOL this dude belongs on ISH hating on LeBron. Jesus Christ he's salty.

SyRyanYang
Usain Bolt has proved himself over and over again and showed up when matters the most. A true winner. Undisputed GOAT sprinter.
Can't say the same about Lebron.

miller-time
lebron needed a team. because we was playing against a team. usain bolt needed a team to compete in the relay lol. the comparison doesn't make sense.

AngelEyes
08-13-2012, 08:07 PM
LOL this dude belongs on ISH hating on LeBron. Jesus Christ he's salty.

I'm pretty sure the author of the article is a woman... but if you want to hear even more ridiculous things read some of the comments below.

RazorBaLade
08-13-2012, 08:08 PM
wow cmon they are like nowhere close in ego

kobe isnt even on bolts level. Bolt is jordan/shaq ego level

KyrieTheFuture
08-13-2012, 08:10 PM
I'm pretty sure the author of the article is a woman... but if you want to hear even more ridiculous things read some of the comments below.

Ah my bad I didn't see the writer. Unfortunately I already wasted moments of my life reading that drivel in the comments section.

Freedom Kid7
08-13-2012, 08:10 PM
Usain Bolt has proved himself over and over again and showed up when matters the most. A true winner. Undisputed GOAT sprinter.
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/8/81/Save_The_World_Awards_2009_show06_-_Carl_Lewis.jpg/220px-Save_The_World_Awards_2009_show06_-_Carl_Lewis.jpg
To be fair, if you go into sports you have to have an ego. If you don't, you'll get crushed by the media, competitors, etc.

no pun intended
08-13-2012, 08:11 PM
wow cmon they are like nowhere close in ego

kobe isnt even on bolts level. Bolt is jordan/shaq ego level
This.

Bolt's ego is off the charts.

jlip
08-13-2012, 08:13 PM
It's written a year too late. The Lebron "hate" era was last year. It seems as even many Cleveland fans have moved on. I mean seriously...Lebron actually won Male Athlete of the Year at the ESPYs which is voted on by...fans.

NumberSix
08-13-2012, 08:15 PM
I can easily say with 100% certainty that LeBron definitely ISN'T the GOAT sprinter. Not even a close call at all.

SyRyanYang
08-13-2012, 08:17 PM
I can easily say with 100% certainty that LeBron definitely ISN'T the GOAT sprinter. Not even a close call at all.
Dude, seriously, you're trying to hard to be funny. Guess what, you are not:no:

keepinitreal
08-13-2012, 08:18 PM
[QUOTE]LeBron, meanwhile, is the younger brother who always tries to act like a grown-up, always talking about his newest BMW, tweeting pictures of his Disney-esque birthday cake and generally living a better life than you do

Swaggin916
08-13-2012, 08:20 PM
Who gives a crap

NumberSix
08-13-2012, 08:30 PM
Trying, yes. Hard, no.

RazorBaLade
08-13-2012, 08:39 PM

i thought it was alright

swi7ch
08-13-2012, 08:56 PM
When you:

* win the MVP
* championship
* finals MVP
* olympic gold

...all in the same year, you get a free pass to be as arrogant as you want.

plowking
08-13-2012, 09:19 PM
Bolt came from obscurity, yet James was spoonfed?
Where did James come from? Akron? What great player has come out of Akron before him?

I've never understood this fascination with an athletes personal life/personality. We watch them for their sport. He could be the worlds biggest asshole for all I care, if he plays for my team, I'll support him more than likely.
I've read more than enough things about Wade to tell me that hes probably one of the biggest douches in the NBA. Doesn't stop him from being my favorite player all time.

ihoopallday
08-13-2012, 09:23 PM
Bolt came from obscurity, yet James was spoonfed?
Where did James come from? Akron? What great player has come out of Akron before him?

I've never understood this fascination with an athletes personal life/personality. We watch them for their sport. He could be the worlds biggest asshole for all I care, if he plays for my team, I'll support him more than likely.
I've read more than enough things about Wade to tell me that hes probably one of the biggest douches in the NBA. Doesn't stop him from being my favorite player all time.

Couldn't have said it better myself. I watch these guys for their athletic abilities. I'm not looking for a role model. Why should I care about someone's personality, when I'll never even have a conversation with them.

truhooper
08-13-2012, 09:23 PM
some white people hate seeing rich black athletes letting everyone know they're the best at what they do

FKAri
08-13-2012, 09:25 PM
When you:

* win the MVP
* championship
* finals MVP
* olympic gold

Not really. Not at all. That being said Lebron isnt as big an egoist as many claim. He just comes off as self centered and somewhat oblivious to those around him. And there is a difference between the two. See: Kobe/Jordan.

nbaballllller
08-13-2012, 09:30 PM
lmao shes so mad :roll: :roll:

people acting like bolt is a legend?

Lol people are always breaking sprint records. Yes hes the fastest now and good for him but in 20 years someone will have taken his spot and no one will give a fak about him. heck most people couldnt tell u who won the 100 metre sprint in 2004.

the talk of lebron will continue for 50 years

oolalaa
08-13-2012, 09:46 PM
In the comments section....

"Wow I know this is a blog, but that was actually biggest load of nonsense I have read.

"Lebron's incessant boasting"?!? I take it your roots are in Cleveland. I know this is a British newspaper, but a lot of us British follow basketball, and know the description of Lebron's personality is absolute nonsense. I am sure he has an ego, but name me one great superstar that doesn't? Fact is he is nowhere near as bad as you make it out to be.

Also to imply that his achievements are lesser because he plays a team sport is also nonsense. It takes more for an individual to shine in a team sport.

To conclude just more irrational hate towards Lebron, by this minority of Americans who have nothing better to do in their lives. I seriously hope you aren't writing regular sports columns for the Guardian, that would be sad."

Couldn't have said it better myself. Get back to the kitchen....

Asukal
08-14-2012, 12:01 AM
In the comments section....

"Wow I know this is a blog, but that was actually biggest load of nonsense I have read.

"Lebron's incessant boasting"?!? I take it your roots are in Cleveland. I know this is a British newspaper, but a lot of us British follow basketball, and know the description of Lebron's personality is absolute nonsense. I am sure he has an ego, but name me one great superstar that doesn't? Fact is he is nowhere near as bad as you make it out to be.

Also to imply that his achievements are lesser because he plays a team sport is also nonsense. It takes more for an individual to shine in a team sport.

To conclude just more irrational hate towards Lebron, by this minority of Americans who have nothing better to do in their lives. I seriously hope you aren't writing regular sports columns for the Guardian, that would be sad."

Couldn't have said it better myself. Get back to the kitchen....

Totally agree. This writer needs to get fired. Terrible article... :hammerhead:

Lebron needs a team? LOL! Of course he does, he plays a team game duhhh! :facepalm

Kingwillball
08-14-2012, 12:58 AM
Lebron is Very Humble in Interviews while Bolt is Very Arrogant and Cocky..This Writer has his Facts mixed up apparently.

kaiteng
08-14-2012, 01:44 AM
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/8/81/Save_The_World_Awards_2009_show06_-_Carl_Lewis.jpg/220px-Save_The_World_Awards_2009_show06_-_Carl_Lewis.jpg
To be fair, if you go into sports you have to have an ego. If you don't, you'll get crushed by the media, competitors, etc.
**** this cheater.

bmd
08-14-2012, 01:51 AM
Bolt is very clearly arrogant and full of himself...why not though? He's the best in the world.

LeBron...I don't know. LeBron seems like a pretty chill dude, but then he has "King" and "Chosen One" tattooed on this body. :confusedshrug:

:kobe:Most young people have egos. Actually, most people have egos.

And I have no problem with it.

Usain Bolt says he is a legend and he's the best.... but he is. So why is it wrong for him to say so?

Soundwave
08-14-2012, 01:57 AM
Honestly basketball players get a bad rap.

LeBron doesn't do anywhere near the crazy antics Bolt does, nor have I ever heard him refer to himself as a "living legend". I've never heard Jordan himself say he's the best basketball player ever. Kobe is respectful too.

The "Decision" TV special was a massive PR mistake, LeBron knows that, it was a mistake.

bmd
08-14-2012, 01:58 AM
lmao shes so mad :roll: :roll:

people acting like bolt is a legend?

Lol people are always breaking sprint records. Yes hes the fastest now and good for him but in 20 years someone will have taken his spot and no one will give a fak about him. heck most people couldnt tell u who won the 100 metre sprint in 2004.

the talk of lebron will continue for 50 yearsNobody has ever won both the 100 and the 200 in two consecutive Olympics.

He holds the world record in both.

He's the fastest man to ever run the 100m in the history of the world, and he's also the fastest man to ever run the 200m in the history of the world.

He's got the 100 meter dash record by a huge amount. I don't think 9.58 will be broken anytime soon unless he breaks his own record.

The next fastest times ever recorded are:

KOBE143
08-14-2012, 01:59 AM
Bolt is a proven champions and the best in his sports while Lebrick is a proven choker and half champions..

So Bolt has the rights to be cocky..

ihoopallday
08-14-2012, 05:04 AM
Bolt is a proven champions and the best in his sports while Lebrick is a proven choker and half champions..

So Bolt has the rights to be cocky..

:biggums:

LakersReign
08-14-2012, 05:14 AM
Article about Lebron James and Usain Bolt from the Guardian, interested in what some of you may think about it.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/sport/blog/2012/aug/12/usain-bolt-lebron-james-egos

The comparison really makes no sense. Bolt has dominated at the top of his sport since '08. IIRC, I don't think he's ever failed to qualify for the Olympics or lost an Olympic event. He has no rivals to speak of, so his ego trip, is justified. Lebron hasn't yet dominated the NBA like Bolt has in Track, therefore this comparison is way off.

InspiredLebowski
08-14-2012, 05:14 AM
Honestly basketball players get a bad rap.

LeBron doesn't do anywhere near the crazy antics Bolt does, nor have I ever heard him refer to himself as a "living legend". I've never heard Jordan himself say he's the best basketball player ever. Kobe is respectful too.

The "Decision" TV special was a massive PR mistake, LeBron knows that, it was a mistake.This. Big a mistake as The Decision was imagine Lebron getting on the mic once they won the title and saying (verbatim) "I'm now a legend, I'm the greatest athlete to live." Bolt's got all the reasons in the world to boast, but Lebron doesn't approach his level of arrogance.

Doesn't even need to be Lebron. Put Tyson Gay in Bolt's spot saying the same shit. He wouldn't be this lovably cocky dude from the little upstart nation. He'd be the Ugly American.

dunksby
08-14-2012, 05:24 AM
Why is she even comparing the two? I personally haven't seen LeBron pull off arrogant cocky shit anywhere on the level of Bolt's, the Decision was the worst stunt he pulled but that does not warrant such comparison.

jongib369
08-14-2012, 05:25 AM
LeBron is a potential top 10 player (I refuse to rank anyone before there career is over) but to me he seems to have acquired situational narcissism. So if anything I feel bad for a guy being a product of his environment....Having the type of lifestyle he had as a kid, suddenly being thrust into the medias eye put on a pedestal with all that money...Sadly, it happens

"As Millman correctly notes, the celebrity's life is abnormal. The adulation is often justified and plentiful, the feedback biased and filtered, the criticism muted and belated, social control either lacking or excessive and vitriolic. Such vicissitudinal existence is not conducive to mental health even in the most balanced person.

The confluence of a person's narcissistic predisposition and his pathological life circumstances gives rise to ASN. Acquired Situational Narcissism borrows elements from both the classic Narcissistic Personality Disorder - ingrained and all-pervasive - and from Transient or Reactive Narcissism.

Celebrities are, therefore, unlikely to "heal" once their fame or wealth or might are gone. Instead, their basic narcissism merely changes form. It continues unabated, as insidious as ever - but modified by life's ups and downs.

In a way, all narcissistic disturbances are acquired. Patients acquire their pathological narcissism from abusive or overbearing parents, from peers, and from role models. Narcissism is a defense mechanism designed to fend off hurt and danger brought on by circumstances - such as celebrity - beyond the person's control.

Social expectations play a role as well. Celebrities try to conform to the stereotype of a creative but spoiled, self-centered, monomaniacal, and emotive individual. A tacit trade takes place. We offer the famous and the powerful all the Narcissistic Supply they crave - and they, in turn, act the consummate, fascinating albeit repulsive, narcissists."

http://athletetattoodatabase.com/img/wiki_up/lebron.jpg

Take it with a grain of salt but have a gander

http://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/evolution-the-self/201007/lebron-james-the-making-narcissist-part-1-2

tomtucker
08-14-2012, 05:36 AM
When you:

* win the MVP
* championship
* finals MVP
* olympic gold

you should still not wear t-shirts with your own face on

tomtucker
08-14-2012, 05:45 AM
Nobody has ever won both the 100 and the 200 in two consecutive Olympics.

He holds the world record in both.

He's the fastest man to ever run the 100m in the history of the world, and he's also the fastest man to ever run the 200m in the history of the world.

He's got the 100 meter dash record by a huge amount. I don't think 9.58 will be broken anytime soon unless he breaks his own record.

The next fastest times ever recorded are:

yeah,yeah....he can run fast for 10 and 20 sec........big ****ing deal......it does not take skills, like playing basketball does for 100 games a year......noone but himself gets joy of 10 secs of running.......Lebron and other b-ball players brings joy and fun to entire citys...........

Trentknicks
08-14-2012, 05:49 AM
Tim Duncan? :confusedshrug:

RazorBaLade
yeah,yeah....he can run fast for 10 and 20 sec........big ****ing deal......it does not take skills, like playing basketball does for 100 games a year......noone but himself gets joy of 10 secs of running.......Lebron and other b-ball players brings joy and fun to entire citys...........

do u kno how many ppl watched bolt in silence for those sec? billions..

InspiredLebowski
jongib369's post can basically be summed up in "give em the shine, don't be surprised when they bask in it."

it's a legitimate, I don't know, I don't want to say problem because it's not like Lebron's playing style does anything but make the game beautiful to anyone but the most disillusioned viewer, but beyond that, it's this culture of creating superstars before they've earned it.

sports culture as a whole, basketball specifically, has gotten really...abnormal in the hero worship realm. I don't know, maybe it's because while the Pacers have had plenty of really good teams throughout my life they've never been THE team, the favorite, whatever you want to call it. so I'm "out of the loop" in supporting a superstar or whatever. or just different definitions of the word, which absolutely is the case for me.

It's just weird the way people attach themselves to players. Teams and franchises are just as dumb, but at least I can see a somewhat logical explaination. I buy jerseys, tix, my taxes build the arena, etc etc. It's still just rooting for laundry in the end, but I don't know, as an outsider it just feels like the big market fans aren't rooting for anything but mercenaries.

And NO THAT'S NOT A BAD THING. It's a basketball game, not India v. iran, there're no dire consequences, root for whomever the hell you want. Just feels inorganic.

LakersReign
08-14-2012, 05:59 AM

Yeah...cuz according to you...ANYBODY can do what Bolt does. Which is exactly why NOBODY has done it better than him since 2008...right?:facepalm

ihoopallday
08-14-2012, 06:02 AM
Yeah...cuz according to you...ANYBODY can do what Bolt does. Which is exactly why NOBODY has done it better than him since 2008...right?:facepalm

Lol first time I've ever agreed with you. :cheers:

john_d
08-14-2012, 06:05 AM
I think Bolt is the greatest sprinter in recent/recorded memory. But the greatest athlete?, i think not even close. If he can hurl those heavy ass Ball they use or do high jumps... maybe...

In basketball terms; he dunk the ball but can't shoot for sh!t...

InspiredLebowski
08-14-2012, 06:06 AM
I think Bolt is the greatest sprinter in recent/recorded memory. But the greatest athlete?, i think not even close. If he can hurl those heavy ass Ball they use or do high jumps... maybe...

In basketball terms; he dunk the ball but can't shoot for sh!t...not really

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DKPbsDO4uds and the dude's like 6'5

john_d
08-14-2012, 06:11 AM
not really

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DKPbsDO4uds and the dude's like 6'5
so how does he match up to those guys/girls who do decathlons... those are some impressive stuff.

Owl
08-14-2012, 06:13 AM

I beg to differ.

As for the article very "salty" as others have said. But she does (accidentally, I think) hit upon a truth.

A win for LeBron isn't just a win for him, but a win worked for and accomplished by all his other team-mates who passed him the ball, guarded him, dodged, ducked and blocked. LeBron wins because the team has won.
Aside from the fact she thinks LeBron plays dodgeball (apart from dip and dive she's got the 5 Ds there), there is truth in the fact that LeBron like all basketball players wins as part of a team, it's just odd that to some he's always personally responsible for the loses whether he plays poorly (2011 Finals) or magnificently, but when he wins it's suddenly the team.

So it has always been the team, not 1 individual out of ten who decides basketball games (at least to my mind and it seems the authors). That logic is fine but then that turns into, LeBron's ego has not been earnt (implicit) and he
[QUOTE]is the younger brother who always tries to act like a grown-up, always talking about his newest BMW, tweeting pictures of his Disney-esque birthday cake and generally living a better life than you do

InspiredLebowski
08-14-2012, 06:16 AM
so how does he match up to those guys/girls who do decathlons... those are some impressive stuff.that's what i'm saying. Bolt's pretty clearly a fast mother****er, fastest mother****er the human race has ever produced. but that doesn't make him the well rounded world class athlete so many NBA players are. i (think?) we agree on that.

it's not a jingoistic nationalistic chest thumping either, clearly there're plenty of guys from all around the world that make you marvel at their athleticism. and the vast, VAST majority are basketball players. defending the sport, not a country.

i<3basketball
08-14-2012, 06:44 AM
there are around 360-450 players in the NBA. All of them or most can ball. but only one person can run the 100m in 9.58 seconds. or run the 200m in 19.19 seconds. so clearly, Usain Bolt is the GOAT. Can't be compared to what lebron has accomplished.

AngelEyes
08-14-2012, 07:22 AM
there are around 360-450 players in the NBA. All of them or most can ball. but only one person can run the 100m in 9.58 seconds. or run the 200m in 19.19 seconds. so clearly, Usain Bolt is the GOAT. Can't be compared to what lebron has accomplished.

There's a lot more to athleticism than speed. Lebron James combines absurd size, with incredible power and speed. I think he matches up quite well with anyone. If you want to look outside of basketball, then Bo Jackson would be another one. His time was short because of injuries, but based on pure athleticism he was from another planet. Incredible speed, incredible power and much more.

LikeABosh
08-14-2012, 10:37 AM
Lebron is more humble than loads of NBA players. His "ego" is greatly exaggerated.

steve
08-14-2012, 10:40 AM
I beg to differ.

As for the article very "salty" as others have said. But she does (accidentally, I think) hit upon a truth.

Aside from the fact she thinks LeBron plays dodgeball (apart from dip and dive she's got the 5 Ds there), there is truth in the fact that LeBron like all basketball players wins as part of a team, it's just odd that to some he's always personally responsible for the loses whether he plays poorly (2011 Finals) or magnificently, but when he wins it's suddenly the team.

So it has always been the team, not 1 individual out of ten who decides basketball games (at least to my mind and it seems the authors). That logic is fine but then that turns into, LeBron's ego has not been earnt (implicit) and he
where does that laboured metaphor come from.

Finally it's curious that . Curious for two reasons, one because it implies LeBron doesn't, a claim which has no basis and secondly because Bolt himself has admitted that Yohan Blake, his rival trains harder than he does. Even if we ignore the different support teams athletes have, sprinting is not meritorious. Ben Johnson is generally aknowledged to have trained harder than Carl Lewis did. But Johnson couldn't run faster than him (unless, you know, he took a cocktail of performance enhancing drugs).

This is the basic problem I had with the article (outside of some of the other curious claims), she seems to be attacking the inherent team nature of basketball (and really team sports in general). It's essentially saying that no athlete in a team sport can be a greater athlete than someone in an individual sport because ultimately their accomplishments are based on the hardwork of other people as well as their own, which is a really bogus thing to imply.

OhNoTimNoSho
08-14-2012, 10:44 AM
Ego shmego... Usain Bolt merely states facts... Hes here to solidify his legend status? He is. Greatest runner of all time? He is. Pathetic weaklings like everyone who is not Usain Bolt cannot even comprehend the reality he lives in.

ar

Kingwillball
08-14-2012, 11:04 AM
even in post olympic interviews lebron w buthe asked how great was your year answered its not about me right now its 3 letters on my chest usa and the team..pretty classy if u ask me.

HardwoodLegend
08-14-2012, 11:13 AM
Why are people still posting pictures of Carl Lewis in response to comments about Bolt being the GOAT sprinter?

Bolt has already shattered his times and accomplished unprecedented feats in championship meets. It's not even a debate any more.

Yes, he's arrogant as hell, but he does it with such a dose of likability that I personally find it hard to get mad at the guy. Dat Jamaican charisma.