PDA

View Full Version : Why Do People Call Rose Socially Awkward?

NewYorkNoPicks
08-14-2012, 11:19 PM
I never understood where that came from. To me hes just an all business type of guy, a competitor with a similar mindset of Kobe. While LeBron dances and prances about, Rose keeps that stoic, stone cold demeanor. He doesnt have much to say, but thats just how some people are. Ive never witnessed him behave awkwardly in front of a camera like a Wilson Chandler, Kenyon Martin, etc; he always just seemed very calm and even keeled to me. So where is this label coming from? Any specific instances?

RazorBaLade
08-14-2012, 11:20 PM
quiet and shy = socially awkward in america

Heavincent
08-14-2012, 11:21 PM

Yep. Pretty stupid, but that's the way it is these days for some reason.

franchiez
08-14-2012, 11:22 PM
This

NewYorkNoPicks
08-14-2012, 11:24 PM

Sadly most closed minded people do believe that, but i dont even think hes shy at all. He reminds me a bit of Gregg Popovich, someone who just doesnt like to be bothered with unnecessary bullsh1t and finds the whole media circus to be a major annoyance. Nothing wrong with that at all.... Who would want cameras in your face all day with the agenda driven media trying to spin what you say into controversy to sell a newspaper

tmacattack33
08-14-2012, 11:25 PM
He's not a good speaker. His tone of voice never changes. His speech doesn't flow smoothly sometimes in terms of cadence and rhythm. He'd make for a terrible speech giver. He'd have his azz handed to him in a debate, even if he was knowledgeable on the subject.

But who cares? That doesn't mean you aren't smart. Many nerds are like that...just walk into a chemistry lab at your local college.

And it doesn't really mean u are boring either. It just means you aren't great at dictating and making your point clear.

He's great on the court. And seems like a good dude. That's all that matters.

WockaVodka
08-14-2012, 11:26 PM
people think he is quiet and shy because he can't or doesn't know how to talk and people don't think he can or know how to talk because he cheated on his SAT scores.

ihoopallday
08-14-2012, 11:27 PM
If I was in the NBA, I'd probably have Rose's personality. Just handle my business on the court and stay out of tabloids. But I guess people find that awkward.

Fudge
08-14-2012, 11:29 PM
Because the people who do call him socially awkward probably act the exact same way in reality. :oldlol:

L.Kizzle
08-14-2012, 11:30 PM
Sadly most closed minded people do believe that, but i dont even think hes shy at all. He reminds me a bit of Gregg Popovich, someone who just doesnt like to be bothered with unnecessary bullsh1t and finds the whole media circus to be a major annoyance. Nothing wrong with that at all.... Who would want cameras in your face all day with the agenda driven media trying to spin what you say into controversy to sell a newspaper
Have you ever Pop interview, complete opposite of Rose.

LongLiveTheKing
08-14-2012, 11:31 PM
I think he's awkward because he tries to hard to be humble and it's pretty annoying.

NewYorkNoPicks
08-14-2012, 11:31 PM
Have you ever Pop interview, complete opposite of Rose.

Yeah i have, the only difference is that Pop gets visibly annoyed but displays it through sarcasm. Theyre alike in the fact that they both hate the media nonsense

Fudge
08-14-2012, 11:35 PM
How does one "try hard" to be humble? :facepalm

Not really surprising to see, coming from a Heat fan. Ignorance. :oldlol:

8BeastlyXOIAD
08-14-2012, 11:43 PM
He's not a good speaker. His tone of voice never changes. His speech doesn't flow smoothly sometimes in terms of cadence and rhythm. He'd make for a terrible speech giver. He'd have his azz handed to him in a debate, even if he was knowledgeable on the subject.

But who cares? That doesn't mean you aren't smart. Many nerds are like that...just walk into a chemistry lab at your local college.

And it doesn't really mean u are boring either. It just means you aren't great at dictating and making your point clear.

/THREAD

TheWINdyCity
08-14-2012, 11:43 PM
I think he's awkward because he tries to hard to be humble and it's pretty annoying.

:no:

LongLiveTheKing
08-14-2012, 11:44 PM
How does one "try hard" to be humble? :facepalm

Not really surprising to see, coming from a Heat fan. Ignorance. :oldlol:
Yes he does I've seen his interviews and he does try hard, he doesn't dance at an ALL-STAR GAME, then he calls himself a superstar and complains about not getting calls.

NewYorkNoPicks
08-14-2012, 11:48 PM
Yes he does I've seen his interviews and he does try hard, he doesn't dance at an ALL-STAR GAME, then he calls himself a superstar and complains about not getting calls.

U kidding me man?! Dancing?! Who the fk cares?! Some people dont like to dance! Especially when you personally believe the guy near you dancing is a clown (Lebron). Would it bother you too if Rose didnt like Salsa with his tostitos? Because thats how arbitrary of an act dancing is.

LongLiveTheKing
08-14-2012, 11:54 PM
U kidding me man?! Dancing?! Who the fk cares?! Some people dont like to dance! Especially when you personally believe the guy near you dancing is a clown (Lebron). Would it bother you too if Rose didnt like Salsa with his tostitos? Because thats how arbitrary of an act dancing is.
Well that "clown" shut him down and all the other starters were dancing except him.

Fudge
08-14-2012, 11:55 PM
:facepalm

Heat fan logic.

JBrizzy
08-14-2012, 11:57 PM
Derrick Rose is very serious about his basketball. The sport has a lot of fans who watch the sport on TV. It is a form of entertainment. In a way they are just like actor/musician-style celebrities.

Now if you are at en event like an all-star game when everyone is there to have a good time and you just put on your serious face, or if you are being interviewed by ESPN and you appear like a robot, you are failing.

There is nothing wrong with being quiet and shy, and for what Derrick Rose lacks in social skills he more than makes up for on the court.

He is awkward but he's a helluva basketball player.

blacknapalm
08-14-2012, 11:59 PM
:lol are people really trying to say not dancing means you aren't sociable?

what tmac says makes sense. i just think rose is slightly introverted and a guy who'd rather hang out with a small group over a large one. that doesn't make him socially awkward. it's just a personality trait. you can also talk too much and be socially awkward....i'm sure we've all been around someone who just couldn't shut their mouth to listen for one second, were horrible listeners or constantly gossiped. that, in a way, is socially awkward...or at least not in the 'norm'. it works both ways - rose just has a more serious, business-like approach and expresses himself more on the court than off.

hawksdogsbraves
08-15-2012, 12:02 AM
I don't know how socially awkward he is, he's just a moron who can barely put two words together.

Comparing him to Pop is the most laughable thing I've seen on ISH in a while and that's saying something, he's known for giving crazy (if rude) interviews as well as being one of the most intelligent guys to ever be around the game.

bfrombleacher
08-15-2012, 12:04 AM
I don't see how anyone could hate on Rose. Rose fans maybe but they're some of the more/most reasonable fanemies I've seen.

LongLiveTheKing

Heat fan logic.
So you think think he's really as humble as he makes himself look? He seems to serious.

KyrieTheFuture
He doesn't know how to speak so he comes off that way. I'm sure he's just not outgoing but that doesn't make him awkward. I really don't like him at all but I'm sure if I actually met him, that would probably change.

KOBE143
08-15-2012, 12:10 AM
He's not, they're just hater.

NewYorkNoPicks
08-15-2012, 12:10 AM
Derrick Rose is very serious about his basketball. The sport has a lot of fans who watch the sport on TV. It is a form of entertainment. In a way they are just like actor/musician-style celebrities.

Now if you are at en event like an all-star game when everyone is there to have a good time and you just put on your serious face, or if you are being interviewed by ESPN and you appear like a robot, you are failing.

There is nothing wrong with being quiet and shy, and for what Derrick Rose lacks in social skills he more than makes up for on the court.

He is awkward but he's a helluva basketball player.

Yeah but maybe thats not his type of fun. The festivities might just be something he dislikes. Maybe hed rather be on a beach in Hawaii during the all star weekend? To me his "robotic" demeanor at the ag isnt awkward, he just seems like he doesnt find it fun thats all. Watch an interiew with Kenyon martin, he breaks into spasms from his shyness...to me that is awkward, not a calm disposition.

chips93
08-15-2012, 12:12 AM

:roll:

what a terrible post

'rose doesnt dance at the ASG, and then has the gaul to complain about not getting calls'

like rose doesnt deserve to get superstar treatment, because he wont dance!? :oldlol:

chips93
08-15-2012, 12:13 AM
Yeah but maybe thats not his type of fun. The festivities might just be something he dislikes. Maybe hed rather be on a beach in Hawaii during the all star weekend? To me his "robotic" demeanor at the ag isnt awkward, he just seems like he doesnt find it fun thats all. Watch an interiew with Kenyon martin, he breaks into spasms from his shyness...to me that is awkward, not a calm disposition.

kenyon martin suffers from a stuttering problem

NewYorkNoPicks
08-15-2012, 12:14 AM
I don't know how socially awkward he is, he's just a moron who can barely put two words together.

Comparing him to Pop is the most laughable thing I've seen on ISH in a while and that's saying something, he's known for giving crazy (if rude) interviews as well as being one of the most intelligent guys to ever be around the game.

Once again someone who doesnt read entire posts.

I said they are similar to their business like approachto the game and their lack of tolerance for the media circus.... Thats it, and thats an accurate asessment

NewYorkNoPicks
08-15-2012, 12:15 AM

what tmac says makes sense. i just think rose is slightly introverted and a guy who'd rather hang out with a small group over a large one. that doesn't make him socially awkward. it's just a personality trait. you can also talk too much and be socially awkward....i'm sure we've all been around someone who just couldn't shut their mouth to listen for one second, were horrible listeners or constantly gossiped. that, in a way, is socially awkward...or at least not in the 'norm'. it works both ways - rose just has a more serious, business-like approach and expresses himself more on the court than off.

EXCELLENT POST

LongLiveTheKing
08-15-2012, 12:16 AM

what a terrible post

'rose doesnt dance at the ASG, and then has the gaul to complain about not getting calls'

like rose doesnt deserve to get superstar treatment, because he wont dance!? :oldlol:
That's not what a I meant. I'm just saying he tries to be humble by saying he won't dance only when the time is right(trying to be humble), then he refers to himself as a superstar and complains about calls.(not being humble)

bfrombleacher
08-15-2012, 12:18 AM
That's not what a I meant. I'm just saying he tries to be humble by saying he won't dance only when the time is right(trying to be humble), then he refers to himself as a superstar and complains about calls.(not being humble)

You just repeated what you said before...? Am I missing something? I know I'm not the smartest around so forgive me.

JBrizzy
08-15-2012, 12:21 AM

I haven't seen much of Kenyon Martin over the years so I can't speak for him. I don't know if I would say those moments were awkward though. It it's a moment when he doesn't feel inhibited then I think that wouldn't count as awkward.

LongLiveTheKing
08-15-2012, 12:22 AM
You just repeated what you said before...? Am I missing something? I know I'm not the smartest around so forgive me.
Chips_93 thinks, that I think ,Rose doesnt get superstar treatment cause he won't dance lol.

TheWINdyCity
08-15-2012, 03:21 AM
Chips_93 thinks, that I think ,Rose doesnt get superstar treatment cause he won't dance lol.

Even if Derrick Rose tries too hard to be humble(Which he doesn't) I'd rather have someone who tries to be humble than a guy with the "Chosen One" Tattooed on his back. :facepalm

OmniStrife
08-15-2012, 03:29 AM
Cause he's not wearing them douchebag hipster glasses.

LongLiveTheKing
08-15-2012, 03:35 AM
Even if Derrick Rose tries too hard to be humble(Which he doesn't) I'd rather have someone who tries to be humble than a guy with the "Chosen One" Tattooed on his back. :facepalm
So you'd take Rose over LeBron? So basically you'd take a guy who can't hit FTs in the clutch, over someone who dominated the Bulls in the clutch in 2011 ECF, and also dominated them in 2010?

Snoop_Cat
08-15-2012, 03:37 AM
He's not good in front of the camera. Completely understandable, there's plenty of people who aren't socially awkward at all but are terrible in front of a crowd (ex, a presentation) where all the attention is on them. Same concept.

Jakeh008
08-15-2012, 03:49 AM
So you'd take Rose over LeBron? So basically you'd take a guy who can't hit FTs in the clutch, over someone who dominated the Bulls in the clutch in 2011 ECF, and also dominated them in 2010?

Since this thread is about social skills and personality i assume you are asking if fans would rather have lebron act more like rose?

I think the majority answer is yes...

noosaman
08-15-2012, 03:50 AM
Rose seems like a good guy
The probably is that society demands and expects a herd mentality and loners are generally forced out to the abyss. Rose happens to be a great athlete and is being forced into something he isn't

franchiez
08-15-2012, 05:23 AM
Just because hes socially awkward doesn't mean he a cool dude.

get these NETS
08-15-2012, 08:24 AM
no more socially awkward than tim duncan

nathanjizzle
08-15-2012, 09:26 AM
rose is socially awkward. he grew up with 4 older brothers telling him what to do and how to act. if he said something stupid he probably got smacked for it. now hes a grown man worrying about what he does and how he acts and he cant really be himself around people because of how is brothers sheltered him.

hell get over it.

SilkkTheShocker
08-15-2012, 09:30 AM
LOL at certain poster tearing down Lebron's personality to prop up Rose. Maybe he should start dancing around more after Lebron handed him his ass two years in a row in the playoffs.

TheWINdyCity
08-15-2012, 09:37 AM

we're not talking about skill set or clutchness we're talking about personality and honestly you shouldn't be talking bad about how someone can perfom in the clutch, because your boy couldn't in the finals two seasons ago

swi7ch
08-15-2012, 09:38 AM
all-star game intro everyone was having fun but rose pretended that he was "too cool" to dance when he's just shy and awkward.

derb2k2
08-15-2012, 09:39 AM
it's not that he's awkward. It's that the kid really is as dumb as a door knob. It's why he always has this glazed-over look on his face. When he talks, it's pretty obvious. He's not shy, just dumb as sh*t:roll:

SilkkTheShocker
08-15-2012, 09:41 AM
it's not that he's awkward. It's that the kid really is as dumb as a door knob. It's why he always has this glazed-over look on his face. When he talks, it's pretty obvious. He's not shy, just dumb as sh*t:roll:

:oldlol:

Dude had to have someone take his SATs for him.

HorryIsMyMVP
08-15-2012, 09:44 AM
LOL at certain poster tearing down Lebron's personality to prop up Rose. Maybe he should start dancing around more after Lebron handed him his ass two years in a row in the playoffs.
Pretty much. The dude needs to relax. His inability to do so is partially why he got hurt. He is always reckless on the court!

JohnnySic
08-15-2012, 10:19 AM
He needs to do piss his money away on extravagances, a bunch of fancy cars, and get an 80 man entourage. End up broke and destitute. Then people wont think he's socially awkward.

hawksdogsbraves
08-15-2012, 10:30 AM
Once again someone who doesnt read entire posts.

I said they are similar to their business like approachto the game and their lack of tolerance for the media circus.... Thats it, and thats an accurate asessment

Oh please you're grasping for straws here. That's like me saying I'm similar to Kim Kardashian because we have a similar approach to sleeping during the night time and a lack of tolerance for Kris Humphries.

NewYorkNoPicks
08-15-2012, 12:18 PM
Oh please you're grasping for straws here. That's like me saying I'm similar to Kim Kardashian because we have a similar approach to sleeping during the night time and a lack of tolerance for Kris Humphries.

Were talking about aspects of personality in front of the media...only. No one said we were comparing their entire set of mannerisms. Really dont know why youre continuing with this when its obvious you just didnt read my post

08-15-2012, 12:29 PM

Interesting post (bolded part)

In the Western world (work force especially), the socially awkward who talks too much and doesn't listen (as you mentioned) is called "perky" or "outgoing" or "bubbly" and most often than not gets the benefit of the doubt.

While the shy and quiet is labeled in ways that are not flattering (as in the case of this thread, D Rose's personality) and usually gets ostracized or out casted as the black sheep more so than the perky.

Peteballa
08-15-2012, 12:32 PM
http://s1.uri1.com/image/8a8/32ad0afbaaca0d6f61c0daec18fd1abe.gif

TheMan
08-15-2012, 12:37 PM
Sorta like prime Duncan handing a young Bron his ass?

If Bron had Rose' no bullshit attitude, LBJ might well be sporting a ring or two more by now...

I can't wait for a prime Rose handing a declining Bron his ass:oldlol:

FKAri
08-15-2012, 12:38 PM

I just imagined Derrick Rose giving the state of the union address.

But seriously, I dont think hes dumb or anything and I admire his approach.

TheMan
08-15-2012, 12:42 PM
:oldlol:

Dude had to have someone take his SATs for him.
Bron aced his SATs on his way to the University of...oh wait.

Your boy has trouble writing the word "unacceptable" so he ain't no Einstein either:lol

HorryIsMyMVP
08-15-2012, 12:56 PM
Sorta like prime Duncan handing a young Bron his ass?

If Bron had Rose' no bullshit attitude, LBJ might well be sporting a ring or two more by now...

I can't wait for a prime Rose handing a declining Bron his ass:oldlol:
Rose is already on the decline though. Not every player is blessed with longevity and good health. That is what makes players like Steve Nash, Lebron James, Brett Favre and people from that cloth so unique. Because very few players can make it through without breaking down.

sodapop
08-15-2012, 01:16 PM
Rose's attitude is very midwest. He's a product of his Chicago environment, raw, stable, humble and real. He reminds me of the young Isiah Thomas before the bad boy image. Dwyane Wade is somewhat the same as D. Rose, calm, cool & collected to a certain degree. People from Illinois, Iowa, Minnesota, Wisconsin and Indiana, have this laid back attitude. Not too flashy, very hard to open up to outsiders.

TheMan
08-15-2012, 01:26 PM
Rose is already on the decline though. Not every player is blessed with longevity and good health. That is what makes players like Steve Nash, Lebron James, Brett Favre and people from that cloth so unique. Because very few players can make it through without breaking down.
Rose on the decline? GTFO, he had a string of fluke injuries before the ACL injury ended his season, he hasn't had problems with injuries before and you don't know for sure if that will be the case the rest of his career, MJ had an injury that almost wiped out one of his first seasons and then had an almost injury free career after that and lol at you comparing LBJ at 27 to Favre and Nash. Same could happen to Bron, he could easily get injured this coming season, just because he has been a truck doesn't mean he can't get hit by a fluke injury.

Call me when LBJ is in his early to mid 30s and hasn't suffered a major injury...and don't get me wrong, I never would wish injury on a player, that's douchebaggery, all I'm saying is ANYONE can get injured and having a history of not getting injured isn't a 100% gaurantee it will never happen.

chips93
08-15-2012, 04:21 PM

thats just fine

but its irrelevant to a thread discussing rose's social awkwardness

AK47DR91
08-15-2012, 04:40 PM
I don't know about his social awkwardness but he definitely has a speech impediment.

IGotACoolStory
08-15-2012, 04:47 PM
Meh, still don't like your comparison. Pop is incredibly media savvy and shows a sense of humor. Rose doesn't appear to have taken a communications course at any point in his schooling.

hawksdogsbraves
08-15-2012, 04:51 PM
Were talking about aspects of personality in front of the media...only. No one said we were comparing their entire set of mannerisms. Really dont know why youre continuing with this when its obvious you just didnt read my post

Because your post was nonsensical and stupid and I thought it was funny that you made such a claim

NumberSix
08-15-2012, 04:56 PM
He's not awkward, he's just not "mr. personality".

LA_Showtime
08-15-2012, 06:00 PM
He's probably not socially awkward but it's fine to say he is because Chicago fans overreact and act like you insulted their newborn son.

NJW1247
08-15-2012, 06:07 PM
Do people think Duncan is socially awkward?

D.J.
08-15-2012, 06:07 PM
Being introverted and/or shy doesn't equal socially awkward. He's introverted and maybe a bit shy, but he's not socially awkward. But he's also dumb as shit.

D.J.
08-15-2012, 06:08 PM
Do people think Duncan is socially awkward?

No. He comes across as more of a geek.

Smoke117
08-15-2012, 06:09 PM

I agree with this. He is just dumb as a rock. He always has this blank look on his face like everything in the world is just going right over his head and he's confused by anything that isn't basketball related.

cuad
08-15-2012, 06:11 PM
It's simple. The dude is a warrior, not an entertainer.