PDA

View Full Version : Anyone here playing Sleeping Dogs?

konex
08-18-2012, 07:45 PM
This game is amazing. I don't usually like GTA-type games but this one is so good :bowdown:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M36-n0gSHoc

SourPatchKids
08-18-2012, 10:31 PM
:lol At the comments.

clipse026
08-20-2012, 01:32 AM
I'm about 25% completed as far as all the side stuff and random stuff to find. I really, really enjoy it. I absolutely hated GTA4. This game is exactly what I wanted from open world crime. :cheers: I really like movies like Infernal Affairs, Bittersweet Life, and Old Boy and this definitely has the same mood with Hong Kong (although those are Korean), undercover cop in the criminal underground, the shootouts and the giant brawls. They did a great job replicating the Batman melee formula and it's a ton of fun. Some of these environment kills are brutal. I was in a fish market and threw dudes up on hanging hooks and impaled them on swordfish heads. The driving in this game is excellent and you can hijack vehicles from another vehicle. The story is pretty solid. Even some quality voice over work. Whoever voices Wei Shen is a bad ass. Lucy Lui, Emma Stone (although I haven't heard from her in a long time) and Tom Wilkinson do a great job. You can definitely relate to the way you interact with the characters that Wei Shen meets as he forms bonds with these guys. All around great game so far. This was the 1st game I pre-ordered all year and it's been worth my money so far.

CeltsGarlic
08-20-2012, 04:25 AM
Cant wait to get home and try it myself. Reviews are great and this game is definitely my type.

konex
08-20-2012, 05:30 AM
. I absolutely hated GTA4. This game is exactly what I wanted from open world crime.

I haven't liked any GTA or GTA-clones till this game. The story, fighting and driving are amazing. So much fun

glidedrxlr22
08-20-2012, 10:40 AM
I was burned out on GTA back when San Andreas came out. I like Hong Kong shoot em up films like Hard Boiled and Tiger Cage. After I'm done with Arkham Asylum, I think I'm gonna get Sleeping Dogs to fill my time before Borderlands 2.

niko
08-20-2012, 01:12 PM
I was burned out on GTA back when San Andreas came out. I like Hong Kong shoot em up films like Hard Boiled and Tiger Cage. After I'm done with Arkham Asylum, I think I'm gonna get Sleeping Dogs to fill my time before Borderlands 2.

So do i. You'll be in heaven.

This game has great voice acting and an actually compelling story. When your crew runs into a bad situation (great scene) you feel for the characters. I actually cared what happened. It wasn't like GTA where it's just a boring cut scene to show your motivation, i felt like taking action based on what happened.

It's a fantastic game.

CeltsGarlic
08-21-2012, 02:57 AM
Played for some time yesterday, and it was awesome! Great game. I liked it better than saints row, because of fighting and physics.

niko
08-21-2012, 01:11 PM
Wei is a great character. He drives two women around and is flirting with one of them and the other one says "Get a room you two" and he tells her " i don't think that's till later".

:lol Great voicework.

Burgz V2
08-21-2012, 05:52 PM
is it a completely open-world? or is it one of those "its an open world, but there is nothing to do but main quests" kinda games?

clipse026
08-21-2012, 07:27 PM
There are main quests, cop missions, face missions (helping people with stuff), races, drug busts, and a few dates you can go on. Also various fighting dojos to train.

glidedrxlr22
08-23-2012, 10:25 AM
So do i. You'll be in heaven.

This game has great voice acting and an actually compelling story. When your crew runs into a bad situation (great scene) you feel for the characters. I actually cared what happened. It wasn't like GTA where it's just a boring cut scene to show your motivation, i felt like taking action based on what happened.

It's a fantastic game.

I picked this up last night. I only saw the intro and played a bit cause the install took forever! I hope it definitely maintains it

niko
08-23-2012, 01:06 PM
[QUOTE=glidedrxlr22]I picked this up last night. I only saw the intro and played a bit cause the install took forever! I hope it definitely maintains it

Thorpesaurous
08-23-2012, 02:15 PM
I hadn't even heard of this until now. I'll stop and pick it up on my way home tonight. I haven't played anything in months. Pretty much since I burnt out on Skyrim I haven't played anything.

I've got pre-orders in for RE6, The Last of Us, and Assassin's Creed 3. But while I've been in Gamestop looking putting my orders in I never noticed anything I found intrigueing. I must've just walked by this.

GameInformer gave it a 7.75, but the user rating is 9.25, and it sounds like you guys are in the same boat.

niko
08-23-2012, 10:16 PM
I hadn't even heard of this until now. I'll stop and pick it up on my way home tonight. I haven't played anything in months. Pretty much since I burnt out on Skyrim I haven't played anything.

I've got pre-orders in for RE6, The Last of Us, and Assassin's Creed 3. But while I've been in Gamestop looking putting my orders in I never noticed anything I found intrigueing. I must've just walked by this.

GameInformer gave it a 7.75, but the user rating is 9.25, and it sounds like you guys are in the same boat.

It's just fun. the fighting is fun, the story is actually interesting (five times more so if you are into hong kong type movies or even if you really liked the departed), and the missions rarely every give you something you don't want to do. Games are supposed to be fun and this game is really fun.

glidedrxlr22
08-24-2012, 12:09 PM
^Agree. The fighting is pretty fun. When do guns come into play?

GOBB
08-24-2012, 03:20 PM
I'm playing the demo now. Pretty cool. I had to fight my way in this factory, then got into a shootout. Now I chased some asian dude whom I have to injure but not kill all the while bad guys are trying to stop me from escaping with him in grasp.

1. I've died a couple times fighting. Takes a minute to get the fighting down. I figured out all you have to do is wait and counter, similar to Assassins creed when you are surrounded by enemies

2. Died a few times trying to escape while holding dude engaging in shootouts. I've been pretty impatient just trying to rush thru the game but definately gonna take my time.

I hope there is more to do after I finish this mission. My only gripe with this game is no multiplayer. I'd like some sort of Free Mode atleast to d!ck around the enviroment like you could in GTA 4. Ah well.

niko
08-24-2012, 08:12 PM
^Agree. The fighting is pretty fun. When do guns come into play?
a few hours in. There are some epic shootouts, including one that made my Hard Boiled meter perk up.

clipse026
08-24-2012, 11:05 PM
a few hours in. There are some epic shootouts, including one that made my Hard Boiled meter perk up.
In white
The Wedding?

Thorpesaurous
08-25-2012, 08:42 AM
Just got it the other night but had some technical problems. My goddamned controllers aren't connecting. I have a wall outlet charger. Have had it forever and it's worked great. It does two controllers at once. I haven't played in months, but I did just buy a new white SixAxis dualshock controller. I had that charging, along with my regular black SixAxis dualshock.

Both appeared to be fully charged, because their lights blink when they're not, and I saw the white one blinking for a while, then I stopped. So I took it off, hit the PS button and it won't connect. I plugged it in with the USB, hit the PS button, and it flashes the red lights, but still won't connect. So I figured I'd try my old black one just to get the thing going, the lights won't go on at all. Even when I plug it in with the USB I get nothing. But when I plug into the charger it'll flash for a bit and recharge. But off the charger it shows no sign of life at all.

Anyway, I have a third controller, the original that came with my PS3, that's not a dualshock. I scooped that up and it connected straight away. I was at least able to get the game loaded and do all the updates I needed. But it's really frustrating.

I did play the first couple missions, just to get it going. The run away from the cops introduction. Then the fight training thing. And finally the salespeople shakedown in the market, which was pretty nice. I still haven't gotten a totally open world feel from it yet, but the fighting is really well done, and I'm definitely looking forward to getting into it.

niko
08-25-2012, 05:42 PM
In white

the hospital

clipse026
08-25-2012, 06:16 PM
Ah right. Both of them were good. That one was pretty awesome. Can't believe it slipped my mind :lol

niko
08-26-2012, 08:53 AM
Ah right. Both of them were good. That one was pretty awesome. Can't believe it slipped my mind :lol

The fact the popstars name is Vivian (Vivienne) and is singing a song that sounds like 90's cantopop i thought was hilarious too. ANd that it popped up on the radio when you were going to her house. And all the names are the "make an english name that sounds like the chinese names) that people used in the 90's, WInston, Vivienne, Rickey.

I love the game. BTW, everything i put in white is so freaking minor spoilers but i am being careful.

dunksby
08-26-2012, 12:13 PM
I played the demo, seems like a rushed mash up of GTA and Yakuza with some elements of Max Payne and the Punisher. Nothing special in my opinion.

clipse026
08-26-2012, 12:50 PM
I played the demo, seems like a rushed mash up of GTA and Yakuza with some elements of Max Payne and the Punisher. Nothing special in my opinion.
Way better than GTA4. But everything with an open world like that gets compared.

dunksby
08-26-2012, 01:03 PM
Way better than GTA4. But everything with an open world like that gets compared.
It's a mediocre game you are trying too hard.

niko
08-26-2012, 05:05 PM
I like it better than GTA4. The story is better, the combat is way better, the driving is better. GTA had a more structured world but it rarely let you do what i wanted to do in it. The only thing i can say 100% was better in GTA was the cops, and the feeling of danger when they chased you.

I never cared for one second what happend to Niko or anyone else in GTA4, but i do in Sleeping Dogs. And don't get me wrong, i REALLY like GTA, i played through 4 and both expansions. I just like Sleeping Dogs that much too.

No multiplayer though, so for those of you that like that a lot (like Gobb), im sure it's a problem.

clipse026
08-26-2012, 07:35 PM
Not really, that game is grossly overrated. It got a 10 many places. That's ridiculous. I traded it in a few hours after buying it because it just wasn't anywhere near as good as the previous games in the series.

And you've played a demo so far yet you feel educated enough to dismiss the game as nothing but a clone.

Thorpesaurous
08-27-2012, 08:51 AM
I played it pretty obsessively over the weekend, and I really really like it.

It is truely a GTA knockoff however, even more than most. But I don't have a problem with that.

My main enjoyment of it is that they took the best things about GTA, the open map, the miscelleneous collectables, the dark noir story telling, and combined it with a superior combat system, particularly the fighting, but the shooting and cover system isn't bad either, that makes me want to stop and fight whenever an enemy pops up on my map.

I did what I usually do, scoured the map for side missions and extras. Collected a bunch of boxes. Then did some of the dating, which opened up the health on the map, which I then pathologically tracked down all of. Got the cameras on the map, and chased down some of them. And the melee upgrade statues, and hunted down all of them except three that seem inaccessable at the moment.

I like tracking down the drug busts on the cameras, doing any face missions that pop up, and I'm even doing some of the fighting competitions, although they don't seem like they're something that's finishable, so I may stop going on them.

And I am plugging away at the story missions a little. With only two to work with, they sort of forced my hand a little.

My gripes are few. Mainly it's that it seems a little small, both in terms of physical size, and so far in terms of branching out the main story missions. Right now it's just cops and the water street gang. Green and Blue. No other way to go at the moment at least. And the map I've been completely around so far, but I'm not sure that's a bad thing necessarily.

The driving is a little wonky. The cars handle almost too tightly, the bikes especially. And like said before, the police are sort of a non-entity. They're actually no easy to lose, but there doesn't seem like much chance they'll catch you either.

My sincerest thanks to the people in this thread that prompted me to pick up this game.

niko
08-27-2012, 11:09 AM
I can't see how a person likes GTA a lot and doesn't like this game. It's a clone, sure. With a great story, better (inarguably) combat and a ton of fun things to do. GTA came out a long long time ago and the next one isn't for a year. It fills a niche for me very nicely. I wanted Saints Row to fill that niche, but that game is just too stupid for me to care and it's not fun enough, its a game where people should drop easier and things should blow up easier.

glidedrxlr22
08-27-2012, 01:07 PM
I have a couple of mission questions.

1. There's an orange icon mission where you go to a dojo and wail on 4 different types of enemies....is this mission always open? It always seems to stay active even after I've beaten everybody up.

2. I'm doing a side mission where I have to take pictures of nature and landmarks for a t-shirt shop. I'm at the part where it asks for pictures of a sunset. I drive up to the spot and snap some pics but it never marks it as complete and I can't proceed to the next spot. Huh?

DeuceWallaces
08-27-2012, 01:52 PM
Just downloaded it last night and I'll give it a shot this evening when I get home.

Thorpesaurous
08-27-2012, 02:42 PM

1. There's an orange icon mission where you go to a dojo and wail on 4 different types of enemies....is this mission always open? It always seems to stay active even after I've beaten everybody up.

2. I'm doing a side mission where I have to take pictures of nature and landmarks for a t-shirt shop. I'm at the part where it asks for pictures of a sunset. I drive up to the spot and snap some pics but it never marks it as complete and I can't proceed to the next spot. Huh?

Those orange fighting missions are like fighting pits where you really just fight to win money I think. I don't think they're gonna go away. I've done a couple and they're not going anywhere, and the other orange stuff also marks things that appear to be going anywhere that I think are there to earn money, they're the Cockfighting thing, which was horribly boring, and there are a couple of Gambling Dens out on the water, which I've been unable to access at this point, but I have been out to one of them. So I think that's why they're color coded that way.
I will say I haven't seen one in a dojo yet though. There is one right next to a dojo however, and I wonder if you went into the dojo instead of the fight pit. The first fight pit I did had 6 levels where they just kept throwing more guys at you. I beat that, then lost one, and then beat a third one so far.

I did that picture mission. Make sure you're standing in the spot marked by light is the only thing I can think of. There were only two spots that I can recall. The temple first, then the sunset. Maybe you're parked on the light shaft where you should be standing?

Burgz V2
08-27-2012, 05:50 PM
just grabbed it, will post impressions later

Burgz V2
08-27-2012, 09:16 PM
just started. so far so good.

was trying to chase down this nice car and I think i held A and back on the joystick (on a motorcycle) and a prompt came up to press Y, dude jumps OFF THE BIKE and ON TO THE OTHER CAR. insane.

fighting is a bit clunky, reminds me of arkham city fighting but you have to be careful not to get into any long combos or it's impossible to counter other attackers

not much else to say right now, will update later

konex
08-27-2012, 11:01 PM

1 - Orange items are events (fight club, racing, stealing cars, jacking armored trucks). They are always open but I think you get a costume from each of the 4 and an achievement/trophy when you clear them all. You can always go back though.

2 - That mission was pretty straightforward to me so I dunno

PS: I am this close to getting face lvl 6 and I can finally rock that nice white suit :pimp:

Burgz V2
08-28-2012, 02:05 AM

i'll try go back and do that mission but im pretty sure you take a pic of the sunset and then some drunk guy poses and you have to beat him up so you can get a good pic. after that you take the pic and go back to the woman

Hotbullets
08-28-2012, 04:48 AM
Beat it yesterday. It's a really good game, even though it's a blatant GTA clone, some aspects were actually better. Good thrilling story, well-balanced gameplay, great fighting system, easy and fun driving handles. This is like the missing link between GTA and Saints Row (SR is way more over the top, and although it's fun, it's just such a fugly game overall). Wouldn't mind seeing a sequel.

konex
08-28-2012, 10:02 AM
I think it's MUCH better than GTA. Wei is a much better main character and the basic game mechanics are actually FUN :eek:

glidedrxlr22
08-28-2012, 10:32 AM
I like it better than GTA because it presents a fresh environment. That

dunksby
08-28-2012, 11:37 AM
Damn you people must have entered the video game world a few years ago, why is GTA synonymous with GTA 4? When I think of GTA I don't even think of GTA 4, it's either vanilla GTA III or Vice City or San Andreas.
When I say it's a mash up of GTA and Yakuza (the game) it is what it is no need to get defensive tell me how it is not? They borrowed from Max Payne and Puisher (the game) too to make shit more interesting but its still an average game that aint worth paying for.
Seriously it's been made for teenagers, look at the size of every mobster in the game, its like everyone has been working out their whole life all ripped and toned they look more like Jersey Shore cast than gangsters :roll:

niko
08-28-2012, 12:51 PM
Damn you people must have entered the video game world a few years ago, why is GTA synonymous with GTA 4? When I think of GTA I don't even think of GTA 4, it's either vanilla GTA III or Vice City or San Andreas.
When I say it's a mash up of GTA and Yakuza (the game) it is what it is no need to get defensive tell me how it is not? They borrowed from Max Payne and Puisher (the game) too to make shit more interesting but its still an average game that aint worth paying for.
Seriously it's been made for teenagers, look at the size of every mobster in the game, its like everyone has been working out their whole life all ripped and toned they look more like Jersey Shore cast than gangsters :roll:

No one has told you it's not. Everyone says its like GTA. You just don't like it. We get it. Note everyone else does and that your opinion has been noted. Should we all return it?

Your last comment is totally asinine btw. That makes no sense at all.

Burgz V2
08-28-2012, 01:43 PM

i dont even get what you're mad at? are you mad that they ripped off other games or that dudes are more ripped than you in Hong Kong?

niko
08-28-2012, 01:57 PM
i dont even get what you're mad at? are you mad that they ripped off other games or that dudes are more ripped than you in Hong Kong?
I wonder if when he watches a movie and all the girls are hotter than real life if he gets mad too or is it just video games which irk him.

Thorpesaurous
08-28-2012, 02:35 PM
This is how you're supposed to rip off video games. Take the good parts of a bunch of games. The Batman combat system. The GTA story telling and open map layout, and frankly everything else. Pick a little of the bullet time element for your shooting mechanism. Throw in a couple good ideas of your own, like the action carjackings which are great.

It's certainly the best of the GTA knock offs. Mafia was awfull for example. Just a dead world.

clipse026
08-28-2012, 03:26 PM
It's compared with GTA4 because you know, it's the same console generation and the same genre. What a stretch huh? :hammerhead:

Hotbullets
08-28-2012, 03:49 PM
This is how you're supposed to rip off video games. Take the good parts of a bunch of games. The Batman combat system. The GTA story telling and open map layout, and frankly everything else. Pick a little of the bullet time element for your shooting mechanism. Throw in a couple good ideas of your own, like the action carjackings which are great.

It's certainly the best of the GTA knock offs. Mafia was awfull for example. Just a dead world.

Agreed. :cheers:

blablabla
08-28-2012, 03:57 PM

mafia had a great story mode

Thorpesaurous
08-29-2012, 09:51 AM
The last couple GTA knock offs I played were Mafia, which I really didn't like. I felt like the car handling was just terrible for one. And the city was just dead. There wasn't much to do. They could've just made it mission based, because the only thing the open world did was mean you had to drive home and save it after each mission. I didn't get into it far enough to say the story was good or bad, but just beginning I really didn't like the extra ginzo-ish cousin.

The other one was Sabatuer, which had some good ideas. The black and white changing to color was a nice effect as you took over parts of the city. And the setting, Nazi occupied France, was a great idea. There were a few more things to do, radio towers and stuff like that dotted the map, so there were enough side missions to warrant the open map. My gripe with that was again the functionality. The driving was terrible. In both games I know they were kind of limited by the cars of the era, but I've still gotta want to drive. And the combat was a ball buster too. It just wasn't a great deal of fun to play. I made it about half way through before it got stolen, and I probably would've beaten it, it was interesting enough a concept to keep me going with it, but it got stolen, and I didn't like it enough to go out and buy it again.

As for Sleeping Dogs being better than GTA IV, I'm surprised, but I think I agree. Now I haven't finished it yet, so it could hit a level of attricion like GTA did. I know people rant about game times all the time, but frankly, as an adult who works 60 hours a week, I sometimes don't have the time to play a 150 hour game ... hence my never finishing Skyrim ... my playing is in spurts, so I need things to move forward to keep my interest. But it seems SD is moving at a pretty brisk pace. The city, while really well put together as Hong Kong, isn't quite as alive as Liberty City was. I think some of that is simply resources. The radio, the internet, the TV shows, the stand up acts, the things in GTA that aren't really playable, but serve as sort of satirical takes on the culture, are what makes it stand out so extremely from everything else. But the truth is I felt Liberty City was the worst at that of the major GTAs (I've said before I think they're hurt by not focusing on a time and place, like 80s Miami drug culture, or early 90s LA gang culture), but still, the city itself of Liberty City was so incredibly fleshed out it was amazing. I had some gripes with it's layout. It was harder to drive around than it should've been. But overall it was like an actual character.
Hong Kong is smaller here, by a lot, but the driving layout makes for a lot more fun getting around, and I'm not sure smaller is a negative at this point. GTA wound up adding the fast travel in the cabs, which may be an indication that their cities are getting too big. But Hong Kong is more fleshed out than the other knock offs I've seen, but it's still no Liberty City.

The reason I think I like it better is simply because the mechanics are that much better. The combat is obvious, but also, the free running and climbing is smoother, making running around the city not so arduous. The driving isn't as accurate from a physics standpoint, but I find it more fun in the right cars. The gunplay has a better handle on the cover pop and shoot layout. And some of the stuff is just new, like the ramming with the cars, which I feel is a really nice addition just from a playability standpoint, and the action hijackings, which are also a really nice touch.
Although I don't think this should be a shocker, GTA IV was an almost hard to believe 4 years ago now. So things have improved. They should have.

I blew through a handfull of races last night, and did a bunch of missions. Stopped at The Wedding ... which was awesome, and leads me to believe that this is still going to get better. I've been stealing too many armored trucks. I seem to not be able to drive by them without going after them, which is one of the things that I feel like may turn into attricion for me, sort of like the blue dots in Red Dead, I had to do them, but I didn't want to anymore. The handfull of races too, which I normally am not crazy about, but these felt like they were paced out pretty well, I wasn't always winning on try one, but they weren't so long that I was opposed to trying a couple times, which is an issue I have with GTA. I like the varying types of missions, but if I wanted to play Gran Turismo, I would have bought it. Keep things moving you know. I also did a couple face missions, which I'm pretty obsessed with. If one pops up I try to make that my top priority. And I'm up to Face level 7 already. I've also become obsessed with buying clothes. Another thing that I think they got right in this game. You get things for purchasing stuff like clothes. You can increase your melee damage or the amount of credit you get for completing a triad mission or cop mission by wearing a certain combination of clothes. It's a really nice nod to push me to do some of the otherwise goofy things these games provide.

niko
08-29-2012, 10:07 AM
The last couple GTA knock offs I played were Mafia, which I really didn't like. I felt like the car handling was just terrible for one. And the city was just dead. There wasn't much to do. They could've just made it mission based, because the only thing the open world did was mean you had to drive home and save it after each mission. I didn't get into it far enough to say the story was good or bad, but just beginning I really didn't like the extra ginzo-ish cousin.

The other one was Sabatuer, which had some good ideas. The black and white changing to color was a nice effect as you took over parts of the city. And the setting, Nazi occupied France, was a great idea. There were a few more things to do, radio towers and stuff like that dotted the map, so there were enough side missions to warrant the open map. My gripe with that was again the functionality. The driving was terrible. In both games I know they were kind of limited by the cars of the era, but I've still gotta want to drive. And the combat was a ball buster too. It just wasn't a great deal of fun to play. I made it about half way through before it got stolen, and I probably would've beaten it, it was interesting enough a concept to keep me going with it, but it got stolen, and I didn't like it enough to go out and buy it again.

As for Sleeping Dogs being better than GTA IV, I'm surprised, but I think I agree. Now I haven't finished it yet, so it could hit a level of attricion like GTA did. I know people rant about game times all the time, but frankly, as an adult who works 60 hours a week, I sometimes don't have the time to play a 150 hour game ... hence my never finishing Skyrim ... my playing is in spurts, so I need things to move forward to keep my interest. But it seems SD is moving at a pretty brisk pace. The city, while really well put together as Hong Kong, isn't quite as alive as Liberty City was. I think some of that is simply resources. The radio, the internet, the TV shows, the stand up acts, the things in GTA that aren't really playable, but serve as sort of satirical takes on the culture, are what makes it stand out so extremely from everything else. But the truth is I felt Liberty City was the worst at that of the major GTAs (I've said before I think they're hurt by not focusing on a time and place, like 80s Miami drug culture, or early 90s LA gang culture), but still, the city itself of Liberty City was so incredibly fleshed out it was amazing. I had some gripes with it's layout. It was harder to drive around than it should've been. But overall it was like an actual character.
Hong Kong is smaller here, by a lot, but the driving layout makes for a lot more fun getting around, and I'm not sure smaller is a negative at this point. GTA wound up adding the fast travel in the cabs, which may be an indication that their cities are getting too big. But Hong Kong is more fleshed out than the other knock offs I've seen, but it's still no Liberty City.

The reason I think I like it better is simply because the mechanics are that much better. The combat is obvious, but also, the free running and climbing is smoother, making running around the city not so arduous. The driving isn't as accurate from a physics standpoint, but I find it more fun in the right cars. The gunplay has a better handle on the cover pop and shoot layout. And some of the stuff is just new, like the ramming with the cars, which I feel is a really nice addition just from a playability standpoint, and the action hijackings, which are also a really nice touch.
Although I don't think this should be a shocker, GTA IV was an almost hard to believe 4 years ago now. So things have improved. They should have.

I blew through a handfull of races last night, and did a bunch of missions. Stopped at

I thought the wedding was an awesome moment, and the setup when you drove Winston's wife to be around and she talked about setting you up, etc. was just great. The wedding kind of pissed me off, i not only felt bad for Winston and his bride, i wanted to get revenge. The first few guys you shoot after that felt great, like you were getting them back. Great fun.

niko
08-29-2012, 10:10 AM
BTW, a smaller city is better. It makes me remember when i first played GTA and i could drive anywhere practically by memory. The last GTA i needed the GPS often jsut to know where i was going. I'm pretty good with a lot of sections in this game.

GOBB
08-29-2012, 10:28 AM
You guys are nuts to consider Sleeping Dogs better than GTA4. No way Jose.

Thorpesaurous
08-29-2012, 11:09 AM
BTW, a smaller city is better. It makes me remember when i first played GTA and i could drive anywhere practically by memory. The last GTA i needed the GPS often jsut to know where i was going. I'm pretty good with a lot of sections in this game.

I agree. I taxi cabbed all over the place in GTA IV because the driving was frustrating. It was crowded. The cops were all over and a little too attentive (although in this they may be a little too unattentive). There were too many hard angled turns. And the thing was so huge it could take twenty minutes to get from point a to point b. Fast travelling in the taxi felt like a necessary evil just to make the game playable, but it also didn't help in terms of learning the city.
The GPS in this is somewhat non-invasive, so it helps, but you still have to learn the city, because they really only give you the turns on screen.

niko
08-29-2012, 11:58 AM
It's better to me but it's not. I don't need the multiplayer, and i don't need the compulsive collecting things. But i like Wei as a character more, i like that the fighting ten times better (the fighting in GTA is poorly done) and i like the story a lot more. I could care less about Niko.

That said, this game copies a lot of the things i like about GTA. And i have it now while i played gta two years ago.

:D This game, once i am done i am going to go into serious withdrawal and look for daily updates on GTA5.

glidedrxlr22
08-29-2012, 12:13 PM
It's better to me but it's not. I don't need the multiplayer, and i don't need the compulsive collecting things. But i like Wei as a character more, i like that the fighting ten times better (the fighting in GTA is poorly done) and i like the story a lot more. I could care less about Niko.

That said, this game copies a lot of the things i like about GTA. And i have it now while i played gta two years ago.

:D This game, once i am done i am going to go into serious withdrawal and look for daily updates on GTA5.

Couldn’t agree more. I love the Hong Kong theme, the driving, and the fighing….even the shooting. It’s different enough…for me….from GTA 4….and that’s the reason I like it. Plus it's also cool comparing stats with some of you ISHers on ps3 in the Social Hub.

Evnthough GTA 5 will probably be an awesome game, I won’t be getting it. I just burned out on it long ago.

Thorpesaurous
08-29-2012, 12:34 PM
[QUOTE=glidedrxlr22]Couldn

glidedrxlr22
08-29-2012, 12:57 PM
That's weird to me. I can't imagine liking this and not wanting GTA V, or vice versa.

I haven't really looked at the social hub thing at all, but I've seen you logging on and off while I've been playing.

It

Thorpesaurous
08-29-2012, 02:41 PM
[QUOTE=glidedrxlr22]It

konex
08-29-2012, 03:16 PM
That's weird to me. I can't imagine liking this and not wanting GTA V, or vice versa.

I got bored with GTA really fast. Not so much with this game (20+ hours played). SD is just so fun to play...

niko
08-29-2012, 03:46 PM
I'm mostly surprised GTA went back to the well with Liberty City, and now again with San Andreas. I just felt like there were other options.

DC would be a spectacular city to get the Rockstar treatment. As would Chicago, although it's a bit less iconic. All the DC monuments would make for perfect GTA set pieces, the political scene would play into their satirical writing perfectly. And it would really ground them into a setting like they were before this current Liberty City edition.

How about 60s/70s take on the midwest mafia scene, and it's connection to Las Vegas. Chicago, Kansas City, and Vegas/a redo connection of Las Venturas, as the three city sections. Time period gives you some usable cars, american muscle, the beginning of the european import, luxury sedans.

And the story could write itself. Basically Casino the game.

Instead we get a fresh take on something they want us to feel nostalgic about.

GTA 4 early on was working on Tokyo they said. Which if you have been there, looks like a video game city. I was a little dissapointed they went back to Liberty city.

Burgz V2
08-29-2012, 06:06 PM

it's not.

it's GTAIV stripped of any online and multiplayer depth

the levelling system is cool and you actually are encouraged to eat the food in Sleeping Dogs, but i feel other than having more moves in combat that the combat system is kind of clumsy and a little unresponsive at times

i havent gotten into the nitty gritty of the storyline yet, so i cant comment on that yet.

played a lot today, I know for sure this is a once through and then again for all the side missions but after that it will be collecting dust. GTAIV i played for months and months on end.

Thorpesaurous
09-03-2012, 05:08 PM
Just finished it, and I'm pretty thrilled with it. For an open world game, it's definitely short, but I'm not willing to call that a negative necessarily. The story was great. And the end sequence of missions was a really well put together group of set pieces. It seemed to start borrowing from Uncharted there toward the end.

I've gotta buy one more car to have all of them, and I came just short of the Triad experience points required to get to level ten, which is disappointing because I don't thik there's a way to get it now. Otherwise I've gotten everything.

niko
09-03-2012, 05:30 PM
Just finished it, and I'm pretty thrilled with it. For an open world game, it's definitely short, but I'm not willing to call that a negative necessarily. The story was great. And the end sequence of missions was a really well put together group of set pieces. It seemed to start borrowing from Uncharted there toward the end.

I've gotta buy one more car to have all of them, and I came just short of the Triad experience points required to get to level ten, which is disappointing because I don't thik there's a way to get it now. Otherwise I've gotten everything.
I'm done with the main story. Can you date the girls a second time?

Thorpesaurous
09-03-2012, 06:34 PM
I'm done with the main story. Can you date the girls a second time?

Not that I know of. Some of them you go out with couple times as part of a single story arc, but it's not like you can just keep going out with them.

niko
09-03-2012, 08:57 PM
Not that I know of. Some of them you go out with couple times as part of a single story arc, but it's not like you can just keep going out with them.
The one who liked the fast cars that was voiced by the korean actress, i miss her. Driving around 2,000 mph to impress her was fun too. I was hoping there would be increasing difficulites to impress her more. Damn Wei scores too fast.

clipse026
09-04-2012, 12:03 AM
The one who liked the fast cars that was voiced by the korean actress, i miss her. Driving around 2,000 mph to impress her was fun too. I was hoping there would be increasing difficulites to impress her more. Damn Wei scores too fast.
I finished it last night as well. I really enjoyed it 9/10. Wei was an awesome character and nearly everything that happened I really felt connected with, especially Winston, Jackie, and Uncle Po.

The girl you're thinking of is Sandra and she was definitely the best one. Wei handled that situation like a champ.

More in white that ending mission where you "hack up" big smile lee's men :applause:

Thorpesaurous
09-04-2012, 07:21 AM
I've discovered that there is in fact a way to replay missions through the social hub, so once more through a particularly heavy Triad mission will probably get me the XP I need to max out the Triad bar and get the last upgrade, and probably get me the 40K or so I need to buy the last car as well, and then I'll have it 100% I believe.

glidedrxlr22
09-04-2012, 10:54 AM
I just completed Winston's Mom and The New Boss missions. Am I half way through yet? How long is the game on average doing the main missions and some side missions here and there?

Hotbullets
09-04-2012, 11:26 AM
Around 15 hours.

Thorpesaurous
09-04-2012, 12:09 PM
I just completed Winston's Mom and The New Boss missions. Am I half way through yet? How long is the game on average doing the main missions and some side missions here and there?

I would say The Wedding probably closes the first of three acts. So you can sort of tell where you are in relation to that.

I'm probably at about 25 hours to 100% the thing. But it felt faster than that. I was playing pretty much three hours a night after work, and went on a couple of Sunday binges.

konex
09-10-2012, 04:11 AM
Just finished the main story. Took me about 30 hours while also doing a lot of sidequests and exploring. Damn, it's been a while since I actually finished a game. GOTY for me so far. Let's hope there's lots of expansions

ps: I love how the ending leaves room for additional missions and a full blown sequel.

:applause: :bowdown: :pimp: :cheers:

Thorpesaurous
09-10-2012, 11:53 AM
I'm dieing on trying to max out my triad XP. I'm redoing missions, but I'm just not getting much in the way of XP for it. I've looked it up online, and I'm not the only one who's run into this. Apparently you only get credit for doing better on these missions than you did the first time through. It's really a pain in the ass. I'm doing all the other stuff I'm supposed to be doing, wearing the clothes that give me the boost and stuff. I should grind it out in another 10 missions or so. It's just annoying.

I'm not quite at 100% yet even with that. I think there's some gold medal trophies I have to get, like how long a jump I've done kind of stuff, but I won't worry about that stuff until I get this last triad upgrade.

glidedrxlr22
09-10-2012, 01:18 PM
I'm at 80% on the main story missions. I hope to complete it this week.

glidedrxlr22
09-11-2012, 11:45 AM
I finished this last night. I

Thorpesaurous
09-12-2012, 08:02 AM
I managed to muscle through that last Triad Upgrade. I have an unusual desire to 100% from here. A lot of dopey stuff, blowing up more cars, killing guys by throwing weapons at them, which I didn't even know was possible. I'll probably be going online for some advice on these, but I'll get them.

jaydacris
12-20-2012, 07:36 PM
New DLC available

[QUOTE]A brand new piece of downloadable content is available to download now for Sleeping Dogs.

The 'Zodiac Tournament', which is available on Xbox 360, PlayStation 3 and PC, sends players on a "fight to the death" on a secret island hidden off the coast of Hong Kong.

Players will be introduced to new moves as they explore an ancient temple on Zodiac Island, while fighting off thugs across a selection of trap-filled arenas.

Don't expect a huge new island ripe for exploration, though: a Square Enix rep has previously warned players not to expect something the size of Hong Kong, describing Zodiac Island as "more of a mini-island".

The pack costs 400 Microsoft Points on Xbox LIVE Marketplace, and

JohnnySic
09-04-2018, 01:31 PM
Strong 6 year bump. :rockon:

Just finished this game. Really enjoyed it. Good story and and lots of fun side stuff. But better than GTA IV like some said earlier in this thread? Nope!