PDA

View Full Version : Has anybody floated from stardom to role player more gracefully than VC?

DStebb716
08-22-2012, 12:24 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cjdYfYZthtw&feature=g-all-u

He didn't throw any fits like most guys do, he just wants to keep playing and contribute. :bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown:

Heavincent
08-22-2012, 12:27 AM
It's the only good thing about VC being washed up now. He kind of knows it and accepts it.

Prime VC was something else though. One of the most exciting players of all time.

M.Bustly15A5RU8
08-22-2012, 12:33 AM
It's the only good thing about VC being washed up now. He kind of knows it and accepts it.

Prime VC was something else though. One of the most exciting players of all time.

fixed

TheBigVeto
08-22-2012, 12:38 AM
I think he's remorseful more than anything else. That's why he's not making much noise anymore.

DStebb716
08-22-2012, 12:57 AM
fixed

You didn't change anything

gtfomyface
08-22-2012, 12:59 AM

is the bold letter not obvious ? :coleman:

KOBE143
08-22-2012, 01:00 AM
He change, its heavincent that edit his post to be the exact same post as M.Bustly..

andgar923
08-22-2012, 01:23 AM
People say I 'hate' Kobe. That is false. He frustrates me.

You wanna know who I 'hate'?

VINCE CARTER

And I guess this is why.

Him accepting his new role is nothing new. He's always been a conformist. Not a revelation to anybody that's watched basketball.

You know what I LOVE and respect about Bean?

His stubbornness to NOT conform. Sure, he has a desire and maniacal NEED to be the best, that is what drives him, what makes him great. What made MJ, Bird, Magic and others great.

Vince Carter had the gifts to be the GOAT, he had the gifts to blow Kobe out of the water, but he didn't have the drive, he conformed. Not to say he was a bad player or that he didn't improve. But he never had the same desire that MJ and Kobe had/have.

So I'm not surprised that he's accepted his role so 'gracefully'.

Look at the desire that Iverson has. He's not willing to conform, we may write them off as not letting go, but I'd rather see somebody with the passion to not let go, then somebody just go 'accept' it.

Fck that!!!! accepting is for punk p*ssy quitters with not heart or drive.

WeGetRing2012
08-22-2012, 01:38 AM
He never cared about that stuff just the pay check. Cant really blame him he was blessed with his talent and used it to better himself...

Heavincent
08-22-2012, 01:42 AM

VINCE CARTER

And I guess this is why.

Him accepting his new role is nothing new. He's always been a conformist. Not a revelation to anybody that's watched basketball.

His stubbornness to NOT conform. Sure, he has a desire and maniacal NEED to be the best, that is what drives him, what makes him great. What made MJ, Bird, Magic and others great.

Vince Carter had the gifts to be the GOAT, he had the gifts to blow Kobe out of the water, but he didn't have the drive, he conformed. Not to say he was a bad player or that he didn't improve. But he never had the same desire that MJ and Kobe had/have.

Look at the desire that Iverson has. He's not willing to conform, we may write them off as not letting go, but I'd rather see somebody with the passion to not let go, then somebody just go 'accept' it.

Seems like lose-lose to me. If he accepts his role he is a "p*ssy quitter with no heart", but if he tries to be a superstar that scores 25 a game even though he has declined significantly, he is a "selfish cancer to the team".

BlueandGold
08-22-2012, 01:46 AM

VINCE CARTER

And I guess this is why.

Spoken like someone who has never been in that situation, or any one like it, in his life.

andgar923
08-22-2012, 01:46 AM
Seems like lose-lose to me. If he accepts his role he is a "p*ssy quitter with no heart", but if he tries to be a superstar that scores 25 a game even though he has declined significantly, he is a "selfish cancer to the team".

I understand that. It is hypocritical, but it is what it is.

andgar923
08-22-2012, 02:01 AM
Spoken like someone who has never been in that situation, or any one like it, in his life.

And you know this about me because?

WillyJakk
08-22-2012, 02:07 AM
http://static.bkref.com/images/players/robinda01.jpg

David Robinson is rollin' over in his grave after reading the op.

SyRyanYang
08-22-2012, 02:07 AM
What about his magic days?

MTing
08-22-2012, 02:17 AM
When it comes to VC, his heart always comes into the conversation. We all know if he had the 'killer instinct' he could have been the best in the league but he didnt. Hes shown signs of it at times but never had that 'I will destory you' mentality Kobe has every night. Some nights he goes off for 40, other nights he stayed outside the arc and launched 3's all game. Vince has been and will always be my favorite player of all time but the 'what if' just frustrates me (and a lot of his fans).

Aside from that he is one of the nicer players in the league (which is why he has no problem being in the back seat) and will never be forgotten as THE best dunker of all time.

AAckley1
08-22-2012, 02:27 AM
Hasn't he kinda always had a role players mindset with a star player's skillet though?

I've always looked at Paul Pierce & Vince Carter as mirror opposites; Carter had all the tools in the world, but looked for everyway not to use them. He lacked any type of loyalty or honor to his team, his employer or himself. At times, it was almost like he was ashamed of how talented he was. He essentially mentions this in an interview about "The Dunk". He talks about how losing a close relative caused him to just let loose that summer, arguably his most impressive stretch of basketball ever.

Pierce on the other hand didn't have the talent that Carter had, but he had the motor & the emotion. Could you imagine what would have happened if Raptors era Vince got stabbed? He would have been out for the season! Their difference is mindsets is ultimately why Carter is accepting a lesser role while Pierce is a key cog to a upper level playoff team.

kNIOKAS
08-22-2012, 04:02 AM
Ha ha most exiting superstar. I guess so... But like seriously, should the word gracefully be used? Maybe there's nothing graceful in floating to being just a role player... I say it's more of a shame.:coleman:

ZenMaster
08-22-2012, 05:20 AM

VINCE CARTER

And I guess this is why.

That last line about accepting is for punk p*ssy quitters with no heart or drive is very hypocritical of you...

I wanted to play basketball.... tried out my soph year but didn't make it, although I had a very solid tryout. I figured the coaches were racially biased (I'm Mexican) so I didn't bother trying out again.

Too bad I was shy, skinny, short, dark and full of pimples

Blaming coaches for being racist because you didn't make the team, what a great way of deflecting blame! Truth is the vast majority coaches don't give a shit about where people are from, they want players that make their team the best it can be. You where skinny and short to begin with, but you thought you had a "very solid try out" so just figure the coaches of being racist because of that, I'm sorry but that's pretty stupid.

But back to the subject I just wanted to point out it's stupid calling other guys p*ussy punk quitters when you are one yourself.

bfrombleacher
08-22-2012, 05:24 AM
There's nothing graceful about his fall...

Someone who fits your description would be Ray Allen.

Rake2204
08-22-2012, 09:50 AM
When it comes to VC, his heart always comes into the conversation. We all know if he had the 'killer instinct' he could have been the best in the league but he didnt. Hes shown signs of it at times but never had that 'I will destory you' mentality Kobe has every night. Some nights he goes off for 40, other nights he stayed outside the arc and launched 3's all game. Vince has been and will always be my favorite player of all time but the 'what if' just frustrates me (and a lot of his fans).

Aside from that he is one of the nicer players in the league (which is why he has no problem being in the back seat) and will never be forgotten as THE best dunker of all time.I think I'm on the opposite end of the spectrum from a lot of fans of his and a lot of fans of the league. I've never really thought "what if" with Vince Carter. Mostly, I just thought about "what is" and "what was". He wasn't Chris Washburn, he wasn't James White, and he wasn't Marvin Williams. He was a guy who was initially an athlete first in college who was able to turn himself into a regular 25, 6 and 5 guy in the best professional league in the world. That's not really something I can turn around and say, "Geez, what a waste" about. To me, becoming one of the best 20 players in the world is the antithesis of waste.

I've always felt comparing players to the small select few who had diabolical competition disorders wasn't always the best way of judging that player's worth. Vince Carter's brain was different than Michael Jordan's and Kobe Bryant's. The same could be said for 99.9% of every other NBA player (and human) who ever lived. Again, I don't think that should make anyone sad or regretful. Vince Carter was a human being who played the game of basketball because he enjoyed it. He knew it wasn't life or death, but that doesn't mean he didn't want to win and be successful. Winning just wasn't the only thing with him, and I don't think it should have been.

Lastly, I've always kind of wondered when and how it was decided that Vince Carter had the ability to be the best player of all time if only he decided to try. The truth is, I've known a pretty significant amount of basketball players in my life who've had monster verticals and insane athleticism. And you know what? None of them ended up being Vince Carter. What I'm saying is, no one becomes an 8-time NBA All-Star without putting in an insane amount of training and hard work. It is not possible to walk into the type of career Vince had. So with that, I wonder, how do we know Carter did not achieve close to his full potential? Why do we assume he could have automatically equaled the greatest players of all-time?

Hasn't he kinda always had a role players mindset with a star player's skillet though?

I've always looked at Paul Pierce & Vince Carter as mirror opposites; Carter had all the tools in the world, but looked for everyway not to use them. He lacked any type of loyalty or honor to his team, his employer or himself. At times, it was almost like he was ashamed of how talented he was. He essentially mentions this in an interview about "The Dunk". He talks about how losing a close relative caused him to just let loose that summer, arguably his most impressive stretch of basketball ever.

Pierce on the other hand didn't have the talent that Carter had, but he had the motor & the emotion. Could you imagine what would have happened if Raptors era Vince got stabbed? He would have been out for the season! Their difference is mindsets is ultimately why Carter is accepting a lesser role while Pierce is a key cog to a upper level playoff team.I'm not sure I understand what you mean by saying he "lacked any type of loyalty or honor to his team, his employers, or himself". He made a terrible decision in Toronto to basically force himself out of the franchise once his team began hoarding mediocre talent, and I can definitely interpret that action as definitively being a lack of loyalty, but I'm not sure if that means he was disloyal at every other point of his career and I'm not sure how that means he wasn't loyal to himself.

Further, I must say, I'm not sure we could fault a person as a basketball player simply because we presume they may have missed a season if they were hypothetically repeatedly and literally stabbed in the back, neck and face. Paul Pierce is tough, but he's also extremely lucky. From what I understand, folks don't usually emerge from being stabbed 11 times by being in fair condition. A lot of criticisms of Carter could be made, but I feel the "Geez, I bet he'd be injured if he were stabbed 11 times" argument does not hold much merit.

Ha ha most exiting superstar. I guess so... But like seriously, should the word gracefully be used? Maybe there's nothing graceful in floating to being just a role player... I say it's more of a shame.:coleman:After 12 solid years in the NBA (and at least 10 great ones), I don't think there's any shame in acknowledging that you're 35 years old and no longer capable of playing as if you were 26. If anything, someone who understands their regression is much less shameful (or perhaps embarrassing is the right word) than someone who's that age, no longer highly skilled, but is too proud to recognize it.

As someone else mentioned in this thread, Vince Carter reminds me a little of David Robinson in this regard. Both players seemed readily able to acknowledge their decline, accept it, and look for the best and most effective way they could then serve their team. In Robinson's case, that meant taking a huge back seat to Tim Duncan, concentrating more on rebounding and defense. In Carter's case, that meant just trying to fill in the blanks whereever he could in Dallas.

Of course, everything I say is incredibly biased because I'm a huge fan of both Carter and Robinson. But honestly, I truly do prefer seeing former stars age gracefully as opposed to losing skill but still demanding shots until the bitter end.

jbryan1984
08-22-2012, 09:55 AM
I agree. Vince Carter is great in the role he is in for Dallas. He would on occasion show flashes of Vinsanity but he knows that is gone, he knows his role.

bokes15
08-22-2012, 10:54 AM
As someone who watched the vast majority of VC's Toronto and NJ years, it was so crazy to see what he could do the occasional times he was motivated. He was great in NJ right after he got traded there. And then he faded as time went on because he didn't have something to prove anymore. VC used to be so frustrating to me when he was in Toronto. Everything was so effortless to him. He was even drawing MJ comparisons at the time. But as was said earlier in this thread, he never showed that maniacal desire to win that drives most champions. He liked to have fun, put on a show, and if we won? Great that's more fun, if we didn't? No big deal. He could've done and been so much more than what he is.

andgar923
08-22-2012, 11:34 AM
That last line about accepting is for punk p*ssy quitters with no heart or drive is very hypocritical of you...

Blaming coaches for being racist because you didn't make the team, what a great way of deflecting blame! Truth is the vast majority coaches don't give a shit about where people are from, they want players that make their team the best it can be. You where skinny and short to begin with, but you thought you had a "very solid try out" so just figure the coaches of being racist because of that, I'm sorry but that's pretty stupid.

But back to the subject I just wanted to point out it's stupid calling other guys p*ussy punk quitters when you are one yourself.
:roll: :roll: :roll:

/this dude

AAckley1
08-22-2012, 12:52 PM
Anyone who admits to quitting or not giving their all lacks loyalty to themselves above anyone else.

tmacattack33
08-22-2012, 01:00 PM
Define "gracefully".

Rake2204
08-22-2012, 01:02 PM
Anyone who admits to quitting or not giving their all lacks loyalty to themselves above anyone else.I mean this honestly, but what do you mean they lack loyalty to themselves? There's no getting around the fact that Vince Carter made a very poor decision, but I'm not sure how it equates out to him not having loyalty to himself.

Heavincent
08-22-2012, 01:06 PM
Truth is the vast majority coaches don't give a shit about where people are from, they want players that make their team the best it can be.

I don't know about that actually. I have seen coaches that clearly play favorites and cut good players just so a family friend could make the team. Not to mention the asshole parents that basically blackmail the coach.

LikeABosh
08-22-2012, 01:42 PM
Carter being content as a role player just epitomizes his whole career. He had all the talent in the world and just didn't want "it" enough.

get these NETS
08-22-2012, 01:48 PM
agree with the guy who mentioned David Robinson

from MVP to secondary or third-tary(eheheeh) player seemlessly....

although in his case...it was because a much better and more clutch player supplanted him ........as much as it was erosion of skills

JMT
08-22-2012, 01:52 PM
So you're impressed that he has gracefully accepted being essentially worthless while still getting paid based on ancient results?

That he's ok with no longer coasting on his natural abilities, and instead simply bringing nothing of value to the floor?

Bravo, Vince. Bravo.

ncrizzle
08-22-2012, 02:05 PM
http://static.bkref.com/images/players/robinda01.jpg

David Robinson is rollin' over in his grave after reading the op.

Said person kind of needs to be dead for this expression to work....

MTing
08-22-2012, 03:00 PM
I think I'm on the opposite end of the spectrum from a lot of fans of his and a lot of fans of the league. I've never really thought "what if" with Vince Carter. Mostly, I just thought about "what is" and "what was". He wasn't Chris Washburn, he wasn't James White, and he wasn't Marvin Williams. He was a guy who was initially an athlete first in college who was able to turn himself into a regular 25, 6 and 5 guy in the best professional league in the world. That's not really something I can turn around and say, "Geez, what a waste" about. To me, becoming one of the best 20 players in the world is the antithesis of waste.

I've always felt comparing players to the small select few who had diabolical competition disorders wasn't always the best way of judging that player's worth. Vince Carter's brain was different than Michael Jordan's and Kobe Bryant's. The same could be said for 99.9% of every other NBA player (and human) who ever lived. Again, I don't think that should make anyone sad or regretful. Vince Carter was a human being who played the game of basketball because he enjoyed it. He knew it wasn't life or death, but that doesn't mean he didn't want to win and be successful. Winning just wasn't the only thing with him, and I don't think it should have been.

Lastly, I've always kind of wondered when and how it was decided that Vince Carter had the ability to be the best player of all time if only he decided to try. The truth is, I've known a pretty significant amount of basketball players in my life who've had monster verticals and insane athleticism. And you know what? None of them ended up being Vince Carter. What I'm saying is, no one becomes an 8-time NBA All-Star without putting in an insane amount of training and hard work. It is not possible to walk into the type of career Vince had. So with that, I wonder, how do we know Carter did not achieve close to his full potential? Why do we assume he could have automatically equaled the greatest players of all-time?

I'm not sure I understand what you mean by saying he "lacked any type of loyalty or honor to his team, his employers, or himself". He made a terrible decision in Toronto to basically force himself out of the franchise once his team began hoarding mediocre talent, and I can definitely interpret that action as definitively being a lack of loyalty, but I'm not sure if that means he was disloyal at every other point of his career and I'm not sure how that means he wasn't loyal to himself.

Further, I must say, I'm not sure we could fault a person as a basketball player simply because we presume they may have missed a season if they were hypothetically repeatedly and literally stabbed in the back, neck and face. Paul Pierce is tough, but he's also extremely lucky. From what I understand, folks don't usually emerge from being stabbed 11 times by being in fair condition. A lot of criticisms of Carter could be made, but I feel the "Geez, I bet he'd be injured if he were stabbed 11 times" argument does not hold much merit.

After 12 solid years in the NBA (and at least 10 great ones), I don't think there's any shame in acknowledging that you're 35 years old and no longer capable of playing as if you were 26. If anything, someone who understands their regression is much less shameful (or perhaps embarrassing is the right word) than someone who's that age, no longer highly skilled, but is too proud to recognize it.

As someone else mentioned in this thread, Vince Carter reminds me a little of David Robinson in this regard. Both players seemed readily able to acknowledge their decline, accept it, and look for the best and most effective way they could then serve their team. In Robinson's case, that meant taking a huge back seat to Tim Duncan, concentrating more on rebounding and defense. In Carter's case, that meant just trying to fill in the blanks whereever he could in Dallas.

Of course, everything I say is incredibly biased because I'm a huge fan of both Carter and Robinson. But honestly, I truly do prefer seeing former stars age gracefully as opposed to losing skill but still demanding shots until the bitter end.

Great post.
I'm one of Vince's biggest fans on this board and I defended him almost every time someone called him soft and said he doesn't work hard. I agree that you can't just become an 8 time all star while putting up 20+ 5 and 5 most your career without trying. I'm definitely not saying hes a waste of talent like those players you've mentioned. I just wish sometimes that he did have the Kobe or the Michael mentality because he would have been the most dominate player in the league. The way his career turned out is still HoF status in my opinion (just missing a ring), but I really believe if he had that killer instinct, everything would be different right now.

macpierce
08-22-2012, 09:14 PM
I wanted to comment on this thread earlier but here it is

Does anybody remember the 2010 Eastern Conference Finals? The Magic lost to the celtics and after the series vince was on the court smiling and laughing with nate robinson and co...............****ing pathetic. I would never want that piece of shit on my team taking losing like it's something he expected

ugh

Rake2204
08-22-2012, 09:33 PM

Does anybody remember the 2010 Eastern Conference Finals? The Magic lost to the celtics and after the series vince was on the court smiling and laughing with nate robinson and co...............****ing pathetic. I would never want that piece of shit on my team taking losing like it's something he expected

ughI think there's a thin line there. If a player's goofing around during a game and clearly not invested because he just doesn't care, then we have a problem. However, when the game ends, the game ends. The truth is, winning is not life or death. Some people remain pissed about losing for days after. Some people are upset until morning. Others understand they lost, have accepted defeat, but force themselves to appear very upset, and more still can be gracious toward those of whom they've just been defeated.

I honestly don't find it terribly difficult to separate the intensity and severe will to compete from the rest of my life. I hate the people I play against while we're actually playing, then even after an especially heart-wrenching loss, I can still acknowledge the competition is over and if the people I was playing against were my friends before, they'll remain my friends after. Even if I don't know my competition, I'll still respect them. When that game ends, we step back to real life. So in that regard, Vince Carter is not the first person to acknowledge and accept defeat after a game has ended and he won't be the last.

I do not even recall the incident in question, but only because the post-series handshakes always seem to contain a slight mix of dejection, but also a significant amount of players who are actually friends with one another wishing each other well as they moved on (or perhaps making plans for later). Perhaps unfortunately for some fans, the "battle" of an NBA game is not as serious as we wish it were. At the end of the day, these guys are all still fellow millionaire co-workers who often have ties much stronger than that of their current organization. Opposing players do not go through their careers hating everyone that does not play for their team or refusing to smile unless they win the championship and whatnot.

It's A VC3!!!
08-22-2012, 10:02 PM

ugh
2010 was Vince's best chance at winning a ring. I still to this date believe that the Magic should have won the first two games. Rasheed lewis stunk it up completely as did Vince. At 32, Vince should have been attacking the rim non-stop instead of settling for jumpers resulting in sub 40% shooting for many games. Game 6 against Boston was his best game in terms of effort but Nate Robinson ( who did not play a second on games 1-5 ) exploded for 20 points and ended the Magics title run.
Even Reddick in a 2012 interview stated that the 2010 Magic were the closest bunch of guys and the best team he has ever played on. They just stunk it up against Boston.
But to avoid writing a novel, I have always felt Vince never truly wanted to win bad enough until he reached the age of 30+. Bit too late but if only he had the Kobe mentality he would be a top 5 of all time

Mr. Jabbar
08-22-2012, 10:05 PM
if by gracefully u mean chokefully then yes.

It's A VC3!!!
08-22-2012, 10:08 PM
He is behind only Kobe Bryant in most game winning shots + game tying shots in the last decade. clearly he doesn't shy away of choke from the big shots.:facepalm
Good try noob

RRR3
08-22-2012, 10:12 PM
He is behind only Kobe Bryant in most game winning shots + game tying shots in the last decade. clearly he doesn't shy away of choke from the big shots.:facepalm
Good try noob
As a T-Mac fan, I understand your annoyance with Bryant stans. They're still butthurt that T-Mac and VC were once on their loverboy's level :oldlol: I'll give Mamba boys this, they NEVER forget. :lol

magictricked
08-22-2012, 10:19 PM
I don't know about that actually. I have seen coaches that clearly play favorites and cut good players just so a family friend could make the team. Not to mention the asshole parents that basically blackmail the coach.AAU and high school basketball is full of some of the slimiest people on the planet.

It's A VC3!!!
08-22-2012, 10:20 PM
As a T-Mac fan, I understand your annoyance with Bryant stans. They're still butthurt that T-Mac and VC were once on their loverboy's level :oldlol: I'll give Mamba boys this, they NEVER forget. :lol

I hate T-Mac. Vince left the year after T-Mac left and ruined Vince's rep. If Tracy was preset against Philly or for that entire season the Raptors would have had a better seed or beat Philly. I also think that they could have beat the Lakers then.
:rockon:
Can't blame T-Mac though. Going to Orlando really boosted his career to new heights. I respect him.

DStebb716
08-22-2012, 10:35 PM
is the bold letter not obvious ? :coleman:

no, you can barely see that thing without it being pointed out.

DStebb716
08-22-2012, 10:36 PM

and the myth arrives.

DStebb716
08-22-2012, 10:39 PM
Carter being content as a role player just epitomizes his whole career. He had all the talent in the world and just didn't want "it" enough.

THIS THIS AND THIS. Vince Carter is an idiot. He needs to realize that if the ball isn't in his hands and he isn't trying to dominate the game then he's a failure. Unfortunately, NBA people are so stupid that he'd never get signed by another team and he'd be forced to play in Turkey or some shit because he doesn't have money and then he'd become a fallen star who is crying on tv. He'd probably have to then go off and change his name to Allen Iverson or something.

Mr. Jabbar
08-22-2012, 10:51 PM
Good try noob

username: VC3
slogan: VC needs a ring

:facepalm

RRR3
08-22-2012, 10:52 PM
username: VC3
slogan: VC needs a ring

Username: Mr. I slurp Kobe4eva
slogan: I love slurping Kobe's jizz

Mr. Jabbar
08-22-2012, 10:56 PM
Username: Mr. I slurp Kobe4eva
slogan: I love slurping Kobe's jizz

why dont you go out for some fresh air and stop following me around through every post, creepy dude...

RRR3
08-22-2012, 10:57 PM
why dont you go out for some fresh air and stop following me around through every post, creepy dude...
http://img0.joyreactor.com/images/templates/solo/no.jpg

Mr. Jabbar
08-22-2012, 10:59 PM
http://img0.joyreactor.com/images/templates/solo/no.jpg

aiight slash

po3try
08-22-2012, 11:51 PM
Maxamillion can make anybody look like GOAT.

RRR3
08-22-2012, 11:52 PM
aiight slash
http://www.brooklynvegan.com/img/music2/slash.jpg