PDA

View Full Version : stupid question about light skinned nba players

Knicksfever2010
08-22-2012, 02:06 PM
i guess this can be discussed about normal everyday people but when someones parents are black and white and they have a baby, why is the baby considered black?

PTstyle272
08-22-2012, 02:16 PM
Because it's the dominant gene

DuMa
08-22-2012, 02:18 PM
its like adding chocolate syrup to milk. even if its just 1 drop, it changes color instantly, will you just call it regular milk now?

Myth
08-22-2012, 02:18 PM
i guess this can be discussed about normal everyday people but when someones parents are black and white and they have a baby, why is the baby considered black?

Because it is no longer pure. :lol

Levity
08-22-2012, 02:21 PM
i think theyre actually considered a mulatto. but most people will see said persons skin color and label them accordingly

Batz
08-22-2012, 02:25 PM
its like adding chocolate syrup to milk. even if its just 1 drop, it changes color instantly, will you just call it regular milk now?
GOAT analogy.

DStebb716
08-22-2012, 02:28 PM
go get a box of neopolitan ice cream and take ALL of the vanilla and put it in a blender, then take a SMALL spoonful of the chocolate and blend that in with the vanilla. watch what happens.

JohnnySic
08-22-2012, 02:35 PM
If a person looks part black, then they are black.

I dont make the rules, that's just how life works.

LamarOdom
08-22-2012, 02:35 PM
go get a box of neopolitan ice cream and take ALL of the vanilla and put it in a blender, then take a SMALL spoonful of the chocolate and blend that in with the vanilla. watch what happens.

http://www.mytinyphone.com/uploads/users/juneappleseed/481567.jpg

JohnnySic
08-22-2012, 02:36 PM
Baloney. If black genes are so dominant, Blake Griffin should look like Kevin Garnett.

Rake2204
08-22-2012, 02:39 PM
its like adding chocolate syrup to milk. even if its just 1 drop, it changes color instantly, will you just call it regular milk now?Ha, wow. I wish I could have had that analogy at the ready all those times my little brothers asked me this same question. I never had an answer for them.

Bigsmoke
08-22-2012, 02:41 PM

damn right

BLACK POWER!

tpols
Baloney. If black genes are so dominant, Blake Griffin should look like Kevin Garnett.
Or you could say that adding just a teaspoon of blackness to blake griffin morphed him from your average corny white guy to a super athletic specimen.:eek:

PTstyle272

Second only to the ginger gene

NumberSix
08-22-2012, 02:49 PM
If you pour white milk into black coffee, does it not get lighter?

America sees a mixed person as a white person being darkened to being black, not a black person lightened to being white.

The simple truth is, an interracial person is neither black nor white.

pegasus
08-22-2012, 02:52 PM
Because blacks are given privileges in the USA.

scandisk_
08-22-2012, 02:54 PM

Simply didn't work with Jason Kidd :lol

He looked like Blake in his younger days though

http://i.cdn.turner.com/sivault/multimedia/photo_gallery/1105/rare.photos.jason.kidd/images/kidd-boy.jpg

get these NETS
08-22-2012, 02:56 PM

hope you're kidding. but in case you aren't

the one drop rule...instituted in US....courts....

white plantation owners were raping enslaved African women and leaving behind mixed race children.....sometimes leaving them in their wills

guess it took a few legal disputes between white children of the plantation owner and the mixed race children before the courts determined that white people have legal rights that courts must respect...and that Blacks don't...... they defined Black as having ANY blackblood....one drop rule was that ,I'm paraphrasing...if you were 1/16th Black.....then you are technically Black..and have no legal rights including inheritance rights

tomtucker
08-22-2012, 02:57 PM
Because it is no longer pure. :lol
:oldlol: ....be careful..........you could have one white and one black kidney.........:oldlol:

BGriffin's Dad
08-22-2012, 03:02 PM
Jason Kidd, Blake Griffin, Mike Bibby and Deron Williams look way more white than they do black to me

Myth
08-22-2012, 03:04 PM
:oldlol: ....be careful..........you could have one white and one black kidney.........:oldlol:

I always assumed one of my ancestors raped a slave anyway. That is how I explain my ability to jump and sprint as a white man. But you are right, I may be part black woman now for all I know.

get these NETS
08-22-2012, 03:07 PM
I always assumed one of my ancestors raped a slave anyway. That is how I explain my ability to jump and sprint as a white man. But you are right, I may be part black woman now for all I know.

rape joke..how classy

NumberSix
08-22-2012, 03:08 PM
Your problem is that you see "white" as some sort of pure, neutral starting point.

Yeah, if you add chocolate to vanilla, the vanilla gets darker, but you're using vanilla as your imaginary "pure state". You can easily reverse it, and make the exact same point.

If you take chocolate ice cream as your "pure state" and proceed add vanilla into it, it becomes lighter.

People here are basically trying to argue that white is white, black is black, and every shade of grey is black. No, grey is it's own thing. it's grey.

Levity
08-22-2012, 03:09 PM
What was keith closs? half black, half ET?

SilkkTheShocker
08-22-2012, 03:09 PM
I would rather be anything than a ginger

BlueandGold
08-22-2012, 03:11 PM
Because of the one-drop rule.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/One-drop_rule

The one-drop rule is a historical colloquial term in the United States for the social classification as black of individuals with any African ancestry; meaning any person with "one drop of black blood" was considered black.

Myth
08-22-2012, 03:12 PM
rape joke..how classy

Who said I was joking.

SilkkTheShocker
08-22-2012, 03:14 PM
rape joke..how classy
Rape jokes are hilarious

tomtucker
08-22-2012, 03:19 PM

:eek: ....wanna go on a date........?......i eat the pussay and everything !......i am licking my chops right now ...............:pimp:

get these NETS
08-22-2012, 03:20 PM
Who said I was joking.

well public schools being what they are, perhaps you weren't joking.

here is why you are wrong though....very small percentage of white men in the colonies owned property or enslaved people...small business elite...

basically the old money people in this country by and large descend from this group.

I've read your posts and it's pretty clear that you aren't the descendant of old money.

I'd guess that your family has been in this country maybe 90-130 years, tops.

So besides being insensitive, you're not really that well educated about the history of this country.

TaLvsCuaL
08-22-2012, 03:26 PM
Genes that define physical traits are a very small part of total genes that make us the person we are. It is a common mistake to judge by appearance, but appearance do not show always our genetic reality, and our heritage. Two brothers with the same parents can be very different in appearance, but very similar genetically. And if the parents are of different "races", the differences are more striking in appearance, but they still are genetically similar.

Myth
08-22-2012, 03:28 PM
well public schools being what they are, perhaps you weren't joking.

here is why you are wrong though....very small percentage of white men in the colonies owned property or enslaved people...small business elite...

basically the old money people in this country by and large descend from this group.

I've read your posts and it's pretty clear that you aren't the descendant of old money.

I'd guess that your family has been in this country maybe 90-130 years, tops.

So besides being insensitive, you're not really that well educated about the history of this country.

I think you take this board too seriously.

get these NETS
08-22-2012, 04:02 PM
I think you take this board too seriously.

nah, not even

people can be casual about whatever topic they want to be casual about.....just gonna add my opinion, that's all...

NumberSix
08-22-2012, 04:05 PM
nah, not even

people can be casual about whatever topic they want to be casual about.....just gonna add my opinion, that's all...
Negged.

Reason........ fun.:roll:

jlip
08-22-2012, 04:11 PM
hope you're kidding. but in case you aren't

the one drop rule...instituted in US....courts....

white plantation owners were raping enslaved African women and leaving behind mixed race children.....sometimes leaving them in their wills

guess it took a few legal disputes between white children of the plantation owner and the mixed race children before the courts determined that white people have legal rights that courts must respect...and that Blacks don't...... they defined Black as having ANY blackblood....one drop rule was that ,I'm paraphrasing...if you were 1/16th Black.....then you are technically Black..and have no legal rights including inheritance rights

^This^ pretty much...Although it's a little more complex. One would have to understand how the definitions of "black" and "white" evolved in British North America over the 17th and 18th centuries as well as how unique the one drop rule is to the US. I used to teach a freshman level Intro to African and African American Studies class and had my students read an article on color differentiation throughout the Americas. The hypo-blood or "one drop" rule was almost exclusive to the US. In Latin America and the Caribbean there was/ is significantly more fluidity in terms of how one is racially classified. In Brazil Nene may not even be considered "black".

Just to add to the discussion, the one drop rule would ultimately lead to the age of legislated segregation also known as the Jim Crow era in the US. In summary a "black" man in Louisiana by the name of Homer Plessy challenged state segregation laws by refusing to give up his seat on a train in the 1890's. I placed the word "black" in quotation marks because he was only 1/8 black, but according to the rule, that 1/8 blackness legally determined his "race." As a result the Supreme Court in the case known as Plessy v. Ferguson sanctioned segregation as an acceptable practice in the U.S. for ~60 years.

ace23
08-22-2012, 04:26 PM
If you pour white milk into black coffee, does it not get lighter?

America sees a mixed person as a white person being darkened to being black, not a black person lightened to being white.

The simple truth is, an interracial person is neither black nor white.
I refer to mixed people as black, but this is the truth. White is thought to be "pure" by many.

Dictator
08-22-2012, 04:28 PM
Not all light skinned nba players are mixed race. :facepalm :facepalm

tomtucker
08-23-2012, 02:29 AM

That is right, they just pale in comparison to Kobe, right ?...................ah, that was a good one :oldlol:

AlphaWolf24
08-23-2012, 12:19 PM
wow!...after
reading the comments.....I really hope most of you are kidding...

or else Murrica! is going down **** creek without a paddle faster then Tony Montana can wax a cockaroach..

chocolatethunder
08-23-2012, 12:32 PM
In America we still use the one drop rule. It's totally stupid and racist but that's pretty much how it's done here. In Brasil they would be considered white. Yet have a reverse one drop rule.

Euroleague
08-23-2012, 12:34 PM

That's not true.

get these NETS
08-23-2012, 12:35 PM
(joke)

What does Aaron Williams call Jason Kidd?

Rake2204
08-23-2012, 12:41 PM
wow!...after
reading the comments.....I really hope most of you are kidding...

or else Murrica! is going down **** creek without a paddle faster then Tony Montana can wax a cockaroach..
Which comments are you referring to? The folks making the dominant gene quips I'd suppose, yes?

get these NETS
08-23-2012, 12:45 PM
(joke)

What does Aaron Williams call Jason Kidd?

http://static.bkref.com/images/players/williaa01.jpg

BROTHER DARKNESS

http://bigeastmeadow.files.wordpress.com/2008/04/chappelle_rick_james-thumb-473x354.jpg?w=450

Math2
08-23-2012, 01:30 PM
Same people that say Griffin isn't black because his father is black calls Obama proudly the first black president.:facepalm

Your sentence makes no sense. "because his father is black calls Obama" :lol

And no, I don't consider Griffin black because he doesn't look black.

RaininTwos
08-23-2012, 01:44 PM
man this thread is just too much for my tastes, you guys should be ashamed.

every time race comes up on this site i cringe.

swi7ch
08-23-2012, 01:58 PM

Should get a Nobel Peace Prize award for this analogy.

po3try
08-23-2012, 03:08 PM
Can a white guy be called light skinned to?

BGriffin's Dad
08-23-2012, 03:32 PM

you mean dark skinned? yeah, if he has a suntan i guess

tomtucker
08-23-2012, 03:33 PM

of course.....if you are pale and don

KOBEtherealKing
08-23-2012, 03:53 PM
This!! Also not all dark skinned are just black, some are of mixed race, like say someone is native American, afro Brazilian, and a African background. because they're dark skinned, people assume they are pure black.

Some of these posters need to take anthropology and ethnic studies :oldlol:

AlphaWolf24
08-23-2012, 03:58 PM
Just so you guy's know....."race" is a made up silly barbaric way to catagrize humans, Just another silly mistake before we knew any better

...Kind of like people saying the earth was flat back in the day...

science already shows that we are all of the same species....minor physical traits has no bearing on our behavior....we are what we are through culture not appearance..

time to evolve...

KOBEtherealKing
08-23-2012, 04:04 PM
Just so you guy's know....."race" is a made up silly barbaric way to catagrize humans, Just another silly mistake before we knew any better

...Kind of like people saying the earth was flat back in the day...

science already shows that we are all of the same species....minor physical traits has no bearing on our behavior....we are what we are through culture not appearance..

time to evolve...
I agree but what's the difference between race and ethnicity? For example, why can't I say my nationality is American, my race is Asian, my ethnicity is Korean? Btw its an example i'm American but not Asian

Quickening
08-23-2012, 04:08 PM
Should get a Nobel Peace Prize award for this analogy.
Why it doesn't make sense.. if yousome black.milk in white it would turn it Brown... Brown is as close to white as it black.... So should just be called Brown people.

RaininTwos
08-23-2012, 04:12 PM
Why it doesn't make sense.. if yousome black.milk in white it would turn it Brown... Brown is as close to white as it black.... So should just be called Brown people.
http://24.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m1239h4LAU1rqfhi2o1_400.gif

Hittin_Shots
08-23-2012, 04:18 PM
I would rather be anything than a ginger

Gingers would rather be anything but you.

Ps. **** you

AlphaWolf24
08-23-2012, 04:33 PM
I agree but what's the difference between race and ethnicity? For example, why can't I say my nationality is American, my race is Asian, my ethnicity is Korean? Btw its an example i'm American but not Asian

just more stupid ways to catagorize people....

Race =

sailor: hey Columbus!.....where are we going?

Columbus: hmm...can't remember.......it's where all those short yellow people are....

sailor: short yellow?..or short orange?...

Columbus: short yellow.....short orange.....that's next year......

sailor: great!..I love fried rice..hey columbus!

Columbus: what up?.....

sailor: when do we go to that place with the tall Brown people?

Columbus: in 1490

sailor: sweet....cravin some greens...

Columbus: why don't we just color our Map the same color of all those people.....that way we know where to go in case we cravin greens , fried rice or beans....

sailor: already on it boss.....BTW i'm just putting us down as olive green our color is uncertain....I already used the off white for that one place with the short yellow people..

Columbus:gotcha

Columbus:can't wait to get some curry powder...

Ethnicity =

sailor: hey columbus!....we landed in a different part of short yellow people area!......they don't even have fried rice

Columbus: Yeah I know....they even look brown....hmm...lets start over

sailor: naw...F' it...this Thai pad thai noodle is bomb son!

riseagainst
08-23-2012, 04:41 PM

Nationality = where you were born
race = caucasian, asian, hispanic, etc
ethnicity = more bloodline related: your ancestors were originally Koreans, etc. it's more country/region specific

for example, Jeremy Lin's nationality would be American.
Race = asian
ethnicity = chinese

KOBEtherealKing
08-23-2012, 05:06 PM
ethnicity = more bloodline related: your ancestors were originally Koreans, etc. it's more country/region specific

Race = asian
ethnicity = chinese
Thanks now I understand, +rep

NumberSix
08-23-2012, 05:21 PM

Race = asian
ethnicity = chinese
:facepalm

http://newsimg.bbc.co.uk/media/images/45508000/jpg/_45508586_1.jpg

http://www.cristopherboyer.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/07/iran3.jpg

http://www.rickety.us/wp-content/uploads/2010/11/Beautiful_woman_of_Mahhabalipuram_India.jpg

http://www.londonmet.ac.uk/library/i48613_8.jpg

AlphaWolf24
08-23-2012, 05:39 PM

Race = asian
ethnicity = chinese

makes no sense ....

Nationality = you could be born in the phillipine islands "asia" and still be American

Race = debunked by science as meaningless.....Lin is Asian...so is this guy..

http://www.clsp.jhu.edu/user_uploads/people/31_person.JPG

what does it mean?....I don't know:confusedshrug:

ethnicity = identify's more so people of a specific area through culture.....Food/language etc...

wich case Lin was born in America grew up in American culture....he is about as musch Chinese as a "white /black person" who visits China once / eats chinese food evry once in awhile

I know what your trying to say...I'm just trying to show how pointless it is....and how meaningless it has become.

AlphaWolf24
08-23-2012, 05:48 PM
Ethnicity = Chinese
Nationality = American

How hard is it to understand?

Ethnicity is a group of people whose members identify with each other through a common heritage, consisting of a common culture, including a shared language or dialect..

Lin speaks yay area English....stars in a American dominated sport....born and raised in America.

his parents are fromTaiwan (wich does have native indians that are not from China)...maybe they taught him some mandarin....maybe he eats some Taiwanes food...

I am not technically "asian"...but I have lived in Taiwan for over a couple years ...i can speak Mandarin.....I have lived in that culture...

I am more Chinese/Taiwanese then Lin....even though i look nothing like him....

Out_In_Utah
08-23-2012, 05:52 PM

No. Think of a glass of milk and Nesquick. The directions for Nesquick calls for 2 tablespoons of Nesquick per 8 ounces of milk. However, if you only add 1 tablespoon of Nesquck, you still get chocolate milk. It just isn't as dark.

iznogood
08-23-2012, 05:53 PM
a son of racially mixed parents is only considered black if he can dunk, otherwise he would be called mulatto.

DTreats
08-23-2012, 05:56 PM

Race = asian
ethnicity = chinese
good post bro + rep

AlphaWolf24
08-23-2012, 06:04 PM
His parents are Taiwanese which makes him Taiwanese, ethnically.

If a cow was born in a stable would that make her a horse?

no...because they are not of the same species....

If a human was born on Mars...does that make him a Martian?

and

If ethnicity is based off of culture...then how is he Taiwanese?....he did not grow up Taiwan...he grew up in America in American culture.....he is Americanese....(wait we don't have a American ethnic group)...

wait what?....how is American not a ethnic group?....come on people.

AlphaWolf24
08-23-2012, 06:14 PM
If your mom birthed you on a vacation in Canada would that make you Canadian?

Jeremy Lin is ethnically Taiwanese/Chinese and his nationality is American.

No...but If I was Born in Canada...raised in Canada.....sang the Canadian anthem before all my games.....watched strange Brew 50 times....had a picture of Dana carvey over my Bed......practiced the Nash runner in the lane and had no Jaw......then I would be canadian.

just as Lin was born and raised in America.....and ran the same courts as J Kidd and Payton....Ethnicity is based on your culture ...he is no more culturauly Taiwanese then any other American who visits Taiwan and eats Taiwanese food.

AlphaWolf24
08-23-2012, 06:32 PM
No that would make you nationally Canadian, not ethnically.

once again.....look up ethnicity....

it has to do with the culture you live in....and have in common with.

You are 100% wrong.....

TaLvsCuaL
08-23-2012, 06:50 PM

Race = asian
ethnicity = chinese

Hispanic is not a race.

KOBEtherealKing
08-23-2012, 07:19 PM
Hispanic is not a race.

Is it an ethnicity? B/c on a job form for example it would say what is your race/ethnicity.. the options would be not hispanic or latino or something like that. So what do Mexicans or Hondurans, etc fall under? Latino? Also what are Colombians or Brazilians etc? Are they Europeans like Italians?

KOBEtherealKing
08-23-2012, 07:23 PM
makes no sense ....

Nationality = you could be born in the phillipine islands "asia" and still be American

ethnicity = identify's more so people of a specific area through culture.....Food/language etc...

wich case Lin was born in America grew up in American culture....he is about as musch Chinese as a "white /black person" who visits China once / eats chinese food evry once in awhile

I know what your trying to say...I'm just trying to show how pointless it is....and how meaningless it has become.

Lin is born in America therefore he is an American. if his parents are born in China and came to America, they are Asian-American. maybe i'm wrong but that's how teachers explained it somewhere along the lines.

boozehound
08-23-2012, 07:31 PM
based on the history of race in this country. We practiced hypodescent http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hypodescent as evidenced by the one-drop rule that was law in many states http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/One-drop_rule.

Its all pretty dumb, since race isnt a biologically valid division of the human species and is defined differently in different cultures.

boozehound
08-23-2012, 07:32 PM
Is it an ethnicity? B/c on a job form for example it would say what is your race/ethnicity.. the options would be not hispanic or latino or something like that. So what do Mexicans or Hondurans, etc fall under? Latino? Also what are Colombians or Brazilians etc? Are they Europeans like Italians?
go look at the census or other official us govt documents. race is one category and ethnicity is another (basically hispanic/ not hispanic). You can be a white hispanic, a native hispanic, a black hispanic, hell, even an asian hispanic.

boozehound
08-23-2012, 07:35 PM
makes no sense ....

is this guy from india? If so, he would be classes as a caucasoid under the old ridiculous racialist terms, not a mongoloid. Its all biologically invalid anyways, but the 3 part movie Race: the Power of an illusion is an incredibly interesting overview of the history of race in the US>

AlphaWolf24
08-23-2012, 07:35 PM
http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-OpgQICVIqK8/TbF0jz1o7DI/AAAAAAAACIk/wXi3Qi9i2MY/s1600/alepaint_stock_photo_2011-04-05_22-10-51.jpg

NumberSix
08-23-2012, 07:39 PM
No. Think of a glass of milk and Nesquick. The directions for Nesquick calls for 2 tablespoons of Nesquick per 8 ounces of milk. However, if you only add 1 tablespoon of Nesquck, you still get chocolate milk. It just isn't as dark.
You're point being, what?

AlphaWolf24
08-23-2012, 07:44 PM
is this guy from india? If so, he would be classes as a caucasoid under the old ridiculous racialist terms, not a mongoloid. Its all biologically invalid anyways, but the 3 part movie Race: the Power of an illusion is an incredibly interesting overview of the history of race in the US>

Indonesian...

iDunkOreo
08-23-2012, 10:54 PM
Being of mixed race, black mom and white dad, I can shed a little light on the whole what race we fall into. In my experiences, you are black when you hang with white people and white when you chill with black people.

StacksOnDeck
08-23-2012, 11:09 PM
What a stupid thread. Society not only considers them as black but they consider themselves black also. One drop rule.

MoBe1Kanobi
06-24-2016, 08:49 AM
cant believe we used to have threads like this :roll:

tomtucker
06-24-2016, 09:09 AM
cant believe we used to have threads like this :roll:
yeah...those were the good old days

:cry: