PDA

View Full Version : Unsigned guys that never made it to the NBA that you always thought had it in them

HylianNightmare
08-23-2012, 09:48 PM
if that made any sense

anyways this dude Majic Dorsey

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2tQoqbNR8EQ

remember watching him in all the and1 days and following his career, hoped he'd perform well in several stints in the Dleague but is just one of those cats that can dominate inferior competition but just not meant to be in the NBA

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FZrvU4RZp9M

---------------------------

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tWdp2ch28Dk
Dionte Christmas

Temple Guard with 3 damn good seasons but failed to stick with an nba team on his initial attempts played overseas and has done a pretty good job.
hopefully he sticks with the celtics

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pGt-wKRlBsM

BankShot
08-23-2012, 10:28 PM
I know he has signed to play in Europe, and I also know his draft position was very unwarranted..... but after watching Ike Diogu play alot in college at ASU, I never could quite understand how he didn't become at least a career benchwarmer in the NBA

INDI
08-23-2012, 11:00 PM
Earl manigault -from what I've heard

Kareem Reid -my favorite high school baller

Ed Cota -played against this cat on a tournament

Frank essis -no you never heard of him but he was a 6'5 Sg in my high school he had the goods

Felipe Lopez- yea he made it but coming out of hs he had the buzz of the next Jordan

iDunk
08-23-2012, 11:04 PM
Scottie Reynolds

DStebb716
08-23-2012, 11:08 PM
Jonny Flynn. I still think the dude has it.

MannyO
08-23-2012, 11:11 PM
David Khan destroyed Jonny Fynn's career. David Khan should be prohibited from doing anything basketball related.

Flynn had so much game and potential.

BankShot
08-23-2012, 11:13 PM
David Khan destroyed Jonny Fynn's career. David Khan should be prohibited from doing anything basketball related.

Flynn had so much game and potential.

How exactly did he (a GM, not a coach) destroy Flynn's career? By drafting him too high? By giving him an opportunity to start right away?

Johnny Flynn destroyed Johnny Flynn's career by being a below-average professional basketball player.

MannyO
08-23-2012, 11:35 PM
How exactly did he (a GM, not a coach) destroy Flynn's career? By drafting him too high? By giving him an opportunity to start right away?

Johnny Flynn destroyed Johnny Flynn's career by being a below-average professional basketball player.

Jonny Flynn was drafted along with like 6 other PGs. David Khan was never really committed to him he was too busy sucking off Ricky Rubio. I know Flynn got injured but dam atleast let him work his way back instead of kicking him to the curb.

David Khan just wanted Ricky Rubio the entire time.

fsvr54
08-23-2012, 11:36 PM
The dude from Hoop Dreams.

FireDavidKahn
08-24-2012, 12:03 AM
Jonny Flynn was drafted along with like 6 other PGs. David Khan was never really committed to him he was too busy sucking off Ricky Rubio. I know Flynn got injured but dam atleast let him work his way back instead of kicking him to the curb.

Kahn gave Flynn 2 years to prove himself, and Flynn stunk it up BAD. He was just a bad pick.

InspiredLebowski
08-24-2012, 12:06 AM
I know he has signed to play in Europe, and I also know his draft position was very unwarranted..... but after watching Ike Diogu play alot in college at ASU, I never could quite understand how he didn't become at least a career benchwarmer in the NBAIke did really well in the Olympics and the qualifiers. I don't know if it was a money thing or what, wanted too much and by the time he realized he wasn't getting it it was too late so had to go out of the league, but I agree he is an NBA player. A marginal one, but guys that can catch an entry pass and score inside (and do nothing else) are worth a roster spot.

DStebb716
08-24-2012, 01:03 AM
Flynn showed a lot of signs of a good young basketball in year one before the injury. After the injury he didn't show much, but you have to give a kid time to heal and get back from the injury.

NoGunzJustSkillz
08-24-2012, 02:46 AM
Flynn showed a lot of signs of a good young basketball in year one before the injury. After the injury he didn't show much, but you have to give a kid time to heal and get back from the injury.
You don't have to do fcking sht.

IGotACoolStory
08-24-2012, 02:54 AM
Ed Cota -played against this cat on a tournament

Cota was so sick at UNC. Probably one of the 5 best passers I have ever seen.

Nice mix:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WzzvvfWkm8c

Schea Cotton is a decent one. Did he even go to college? Dajuan Wagner used to be beast.

But the one I'm thinking of is Jonathan Hargett. There was a good piece on him in the NYT the other day.

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/08/19/sports/basketball/basketball-star-jonathan-hargetts-story-is-a-cautionary-tale.html?_r=2&adxnnl=1&ref=sports&adxnnlx=1345316479-NYstwylR/6VWUJVzncWalw

[QUOTE]Amar

MisterAmazing
08-24-2012, 03:45 AM
Dee Brown

TaLvsCuaL
08-24-2012, 03:49 AM
Fran Vazquez, I always thought he would have a solid career as a back up center.

East_Stone_Ya
08-24-2012, 04:06 AM
Ronnie Fields

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZHyjrkGnyyw

BoutPractice
08-24-2012, 04:06 AM
Bodiroga never came to the NBA, I wonder how he would've done with his unorthodox style of play.

Rowe
08-24-2012, 04:23 AM
DeMarcus Nelson

http://www.nba.com/media/dleague/d_nelson_300_081114.jpg

Had all the skills needed to be a solid 2 guard off the bench, but I have no clue how he didn't get another opportunity in the NBA.

I mean he started 5 games for the Warriors as a rookie.:confusedshrug:

LosBulls
08-24-2012, 05:31 AM
Terrance Williams

stallionaire
08-24-2012, 06:12 AM

This. don't get it twisted yall. Flynn is trash.

OG LeeTSkeeT
08-24-2012, 06:19 AM
Renardo Sidney next Z-Bo

JBrizzy
08-24-2012, 06:20 AM
How many times do I need to post before I can search the forum? And why??

stallionaire
08-24-2012, 06:21 AM
Just use google to search threads here. much easier, trust me. type in the topic and follow it by insidehoops. you can get as specific as you want. Google has a great search engine for this forum.

example for this thread:

https://www.google.com/search?q=unsigned+guys+nba+insidehoops&rlz=1C1LENN_enUS468US468&sugexp=chrome,mod=10&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

QuebecBaller
08-24-2012, 07:32 AM
That guy who used to play for some college in the country. I don't remember his name, but he was suppose to be the next somebody

:hammerhead:

robmendez25
08-24-2012, 07:45 AM
Roshown McLeod - Duke
Jay Williams - Duke

Never really got to see those 2 guys play manily because of injuries prematurely ended their careers. Would've loved to see what Jay Williams could've done in Chicago.

08-24-2012, 08:05 AM
The dude from Hoop Dreams.

William Gates I am assuming. This guy was selected to be at the Nike ABCD camp in 1990 (summer). He had NBA guys on his roster of camp team lol.

JohnnySic
08-24-2012, 08:24 AM
In b4 Ed O'Bannon.

East_Stone_Ya
08-24-2012, 08:52 AM
some of you really need need to re-read the thread title its states players that never made it to the NBA

HylianNightmare
08-24-2012, 09:09 AM

Nice mix:

dude has some rondo with him

franchiez
08-24-2012, 09:10 AM
James Richard "J. R." Reynolds

HylianNightmare
08-24-2012, 09:14 AM
some of you really need need to re-read the thread title its states players that never made it to the NBA

i guess they don't have to, :lol my 2nd example had stints on summer league so i can't even really follow my own direcitons

East_Stone_Ya
08-24-2012, 09:28 AM
i guess they don't have to, :lol my 2nd example had stints on summer league so i can't even really follow my own direcitons

it was just funny that some mentioned players were drafted in NBA and some were even lottery picks. But i can understand that it is easy to misread the title

08-24-2012, 09:46 AM
I haven't read the whole thread but did any1 mention Ronny Fields? He played at the same HS as Kevin Garnett but had a real bad car accident.

East_Stone_Ya
08-24-2012, 09:52 AM
I haven't read the whole thread but did any1 mention Ronny Fields? He played at the same HS as Kevin Garnett but had a real bad car accident.

yeah but he recovered from it and was still the same player as before the accident

SilkkTheShocker
08-24-2012, 09:52 AM
Terrance Williams

No clue why anyone thought this guy would be good. He was a 4 year college player that needed the ball in his hand and was still really unpolished as a player.

swi7ch
08-24-2012, 10:16 AM
Vassilis Spanoulis

08-24-2012, 10:18 AM
yeah but he recovered from it and was still the same player as before the accident

I knew he recovered but always thought he lost something due to the injuries of the accident. But oh well...

East_Stone_Ya
08-24-2012, 10:35 AM
I knew he recovered but always thought he lost something due to the injuries of the accident. But oh well...

maybe mentally it had an affect on him:confusedshrug:

MJ(Mean John)
08-24-2012, 10:43 AM
Ray Lew

NickTheQuick31
08-24-2012, 11:13 AM
I always thought Miles Simon of Arizona duringthe mid 90's would be a good NBA player. Simon was the star of a team that featured Mike Bibby and Jason Terry. Simon took every clutch shot for the WIldcats, would often be there top scorer and seemed like a real smooth player, never flustered. I know he was drafted by Orlando but I dont think he ever actually played an NBA game.

BankShot
08-24-2012, 11:21 AM

Typical ignorance where someone just regurgitates what he hears (Khan drafts point guards) without taking an ounce of effort to understand what happened.

Yes, that year he drafted Flynn, Rubio, Lawson, and Calathes..... but it was clear Rubio wouldn't be in the NBA the next year, Lawson was traded to Denver, and Calathes was traded to Dallas and played in Europe instead.

That left Flynn with more than ample opportunity to prove himself as at least a potential rotation player... which he didn't. There's a reason why he's been on 3 teams in 4 years and has only played in less than 30 games total the last 2 years. He's not good.

monkeypox
08-24-2012, 01:24 PM

Nice mix:

Schea Cotton is a decent one. Did he even go to college? Dajuan Wagner used to be beast.

But the one I'm thinking of is Jonathan Hargett. There was a good piece on him in the NYT the other day.

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/08/19/sports/basketball/basketball-star-jonathan-hargetts-story-is-a-cautionary-tale.html?_r=2&adxnnl=1&ref=sports&adxnnlx=1345316479-NYstwylR/6VWUJVzncWalw

awesome article.

Raz
08-24-2012, 01:48 PM
Marco Killingsworth. That guy was a damn beast.

Raz
08-24-2012, 01:53 PM
I always thought Miles Simon of Arizona duringthe mid 90's would be a good NBA player. Simon was the star of a team that featured Mike Bibby and Jason Terry. Simon took every clutch shot for the WIldcats, would often be there top scorer and seemed like a real smooth player, never flustered. I know he was drafted by Orlando but I dont think he ever actually played an NBA game.

He played 5 games:
http://www.basketball-reference.com/players/s/simonmi01.html

I really liked him as well. I thought he would be a better pro than Bibby.

He ended up becoming the GOAT of the CBA, and playing overseas a little. You can't tell me that a team like the Lakers or some other team couldn't have done with a clutch shooter spotting up in the mold of a Steve Kerr?

monkeypox
08-24-2012, 01:55 PM
How many times do I need to post before I can search the forum? And why??

The answer is never. The only thing you can do is that SITE:www.insidehoops search on google, which is almost worthless unless you want random threads from like two years ago. Why can't we do it? No idea, but it would definitely make this place better to use. I forget about half the posts I make so I never end up continuing conversations. Seems like a very basic function for modern message boards.

Rose
08-24-2012, 03:48 PM
Guys who made it, but can't seem to at least be there consistently
Since everyone else is doing it, I'm making my own list
-I thought Darius Washington Jr. had a decent shot, but he left at least one year early.

-Like someone else said Ike Diogu. He can ****ing rebound like a pro.

Guy who has yet to make the NBA
-Chris Lofton. Even though he's short, ****er still lit it up playing with testicular cancer. I thought he'd at least get drafted, since Ben Gordon was still pretty successful at the time. Only made it to the d-league so far.

ILLsmak
08-24-2012, 03:51 PM
Frank Williams, I think, could have been great. I don't know what happened with him, but he might be one of the most unique talents I've seen in college bball.

-Smak

IGotACoolStory
08-24-2012, 04:04 PM
Smak: you're an Illini fan, yah?

The guy wasn't going to be a star or anything, but I always though Roger Powell had NBA ability. He seemed to have an improving jumper and I loved his toughness. Looking at his measurements, 6-6 with nearly a 7 foot wingspan? He could have played SF (am I mis-remembering his defensive ability) and kind of turn into a poor mans Delfino type player.

I don't know. I just remember watching some of those Illinois games back in 2005 and thinking, at times, he was the best player on that stacked team. Did he even get a look in the NBA?

ILLsmak
08-24-2012, 04:06 PM
oya. Somewhat. I feel like the team dropped off. I am still mad that they got rid of Bruce... so I dunno. I keep tabs on them.

Roger was a beast. He could shoot, too, but yeah he was too small. A lot of Illinois guys were pretty good and never made it far.. Pruitt, Augustine... Dee Brown.

But I think Frank Williams was a prototype NBA PG. Other than Deron or Meyers Leonard (who is gonna be good, too) I think Frank had the most potential of anyone I saw play. They acted like he had a lot of problems, though. He sure fell out of the NBA fast.

-Smak