PDA

View Full Version : I lost respect for wilt's 100 point game

INDI
08-26-2012, 12:51 AM
I always took wilt's 100 point game for what it was. I knew his weight and height was a factor and he was like a man amongst boys but I never discredited him for it. IMO a man is a man and he just made the most of his physical abilities.

What I didn't know was the manor that he scored those points. When the team and crowd seen him get 50 they felt that it was a game where he could break his previous record of 78. What they did next is what makes me discredit it.

They did everything within the rule book to pad his numbers. They all passed up open shots and layups to get his score up. They even fouled the other team on purpose do they could get the ball back quicker. If that was done in today's game we would all scream bloody murder. I can't get with that and that is not respecting the game IMO

INDI
08-26-2012, 12:53 AM
I'm not making it up either, google the report on the game. There was no reporters or footage of the game and the nba was not as popular the sport that it is today. To me it was more a gimmick to get the nation to take notice

jlauber
08-26-2012, 12:55 AM
I always took wilt's 100 point game for what it was. I knew his weight and height was a factor and he was like a man amongst boys but I never discredited him for it. IMO a man is a man and he just made the most of his physical abilities.

What I didn't know was the manor that he scored those points. When the team and crowd seen him get 50 they felt that it was a game where he could break his previous record of 78. What they did next is what makes me discredit it.

They did everything within the rule book to pad his numbers. They all passed up open shots and layups to get his score up. They even fouled the other team on purpose do they could get the ball back quicker. If that was done in today's game we would all scream bloody murder. I can't get with that and that is not respecting the game IMO

Well, did you reseach Bird's 60 point game? Or Shaq's 61 point game? Or Robinson's 71 point game?

How about this, then? Chamberlain had a 73 point game, on 29-48 shooting, AND with 36 rebounds, against 6-11 HOFer Walt Bellamy. Which was one of FOUR 60+ point games that he had against him.

Wilt also had a 73 point game on 29-43 shooting, a 68 point game on 30-40 shooting, and his LAST 60+ point game, as late as his '69 season, was a 66 point game, on 29-35 shooting.

jongib369
08-26-2012, 01:01 AM
Just to be fair the other team started doing everything they could to stop him from scoring that much, they were freezing the ball and fouling his teammates so he couldn't score either....He was averaging 50 PPG so it was beyond 50 that they started doing this...Wilt Himself said that he didn't like how the game was being played on both sides. It was a dash at the end but not a dash from 50...I could say a lot more but I think jlauber will say plenty lmao (not dissing him I love the depth he goes into to be honest)

Crazy stats he told me

Chamberlain also had a 73 point game on 29-43 shooting, a 68 point game on 30-40 shooting, and a 66 point game on 29-35 (yes ... .829 shooting!) He also had a 43 point game on 18-18 shooting....Idk if its the same 73 point game but he scored 73 points and got 36 rebounds against a HOF player Walt bellamy

http://sharing.wpri.com/sharewwlp//photo/2010/08/08/WALT_BELLAMY_20100808172138_640_480.JPG

jongib369
08-26-2012, 01:01 AM
Well, did you reseach Bird's 60 point game? Or Shaq's 61 point game? Or Robinson's 71 point game?

How about this, then? Chamberlain had a 73 point game, on 29-48 shooting, AND with 36 rebounds, against 6-11 HOFer Walt Bellamy. Which was one of FOUR 60+ point games that he had against him.

Wilt also had a 73 point game on 29-43 shooting, a 68 point game on 30-40 shooting, and his LAST 60+ point game, as late as his '69 season, was a 66 point game, on 29-35 shooting.
haha I knew you would reply, but not before I did! when I started writing you hadn't said anything yet X)

jlauber
08-26-2012, 01:04 AM
Just to be fair the other team started doing everything they could to stop him from scoring that much, they were freezing the ball and fouling his teammates so he couldn't score either....He was averaging 50 PPG so it was beyond 50 that they started doing this...Wilt Himself said that he didn't like how the game was being played on both sides. It was a dash at the end but not a dash from 50...I could say a lot more but I think jlauber will say plenty lmao (not dissing him I love the depth he goes into to be honest)

Crazy stats he told me

Chamberlain also had a 73 point game on 29-43 shooting, a 68 point game on 30-40 shooting, and a 66 point game on 29-35 (yes ... .829 shooting!) He also had a 43 point game on 18-18 shooting....Idk if its the same 73 point game but he scored 73 points and got 36 rebounds against a HOF player Walt bellamy

http://sharing.wpri.com/sharewwlp//photo/2010/08/08/WALT_BELLAMY_20100808172138_640_480.JPG

Will you look at that! Walt Bellamy was Black! And rumor had it that he was 6-11 too (or around 7 feet in shoes)!

Impossible! Wilt only faced 6-6 nerdy WHITE centers. Obviously that pic was photo-shopped.

The REAL Bellamy was the white guy with glasses standing behind him in that photo. In fact, that was the entire Bellamy team behind Wilt.

INDI
08-26-2012, 01:06 AM

I think wilt was a beast but I don't dig that kind of play. Some years back there was a player who was 1 assist away from a triple double, his team was up and clearly won the game but called a timeout to try and get him another assist. The opposing team ended up sitting on the scorers table and laying on the floor while the player passed it to a teammate to score with no one guarding them.

It was the stupidest thing I ever saw and the losing team walked straight to the locker room. Their coach was so angry he pushed the player when he tried to hug him. People don't respect stuff like that

jongib369
08-26-2012, 01:07 AM
Will you look at that! Walt Bellamy was Black! And rumor had it that he was 6-11 too (or around 7 feet in shoes)!

Impossible! Wilt only faced 6-6 nerdy WHITE centers. Obviously that pic was photo-shopped.

The REAL Bellamy was the white guy with glasses standing behind him in that photo.

haha, do you happen to know what the highest Wilt scored on thurmond vs Kareems highest against thurmond

jlauber
08-26-2012, 01:08 AM
I think wilt was a beast but I don't dig that kind of play. Some years back there was a player who was 1 assist away from a triple double, his team was up and clearly won the game but called a timeout to try and get him another assist. The opposing team ended up sitting on the scorers table and laying on the floor while the player passed it to a teammate to score with no one guarding them.

It was the stupidest thing I ever saw and the losing team walked straight to the locker room. Their coach was so angry he pushed the player when he tried to hug him. People don't respect stuff like that

While Wilt was obviously proud of that game, he too, was more embarrassed by the fact that he took 63 shots. And I don't believe that he ever ranked it as his greatest game, either (of which he had COUNTLESS ones.)

coin24
08-26-2012, 01:11 AM
I think jlauber gets notified when anybody makes a post about wilt anywhere on the net..:oldlol:

kennethgriffin
08-26-2012, 01:12 AM
every time this discussion comes up i mention that wilt was allowed to jump over the free throw line and basically do layups for all his free throws during that game

just look it up for yourself on google...

nobody seems to care that he had a BS 90% ft shooting night..

he wouldnt have scored more than 85 if he had to shoot them legitly

INDI
08-26-2012, 01:12 AM
While Wilt was obviously proud of that game, he too, was more embarrassed by the fact that he took 63 shots. And I don't believe that he ever ranked it as his greatest game, either (of which he had COUNTLESS ones.)

dont get me wrong, I think wilt was amazing and I got him ranked top 4 all-time. I havent lost respect for him as a player, just this game. I was unaware of all this and it just kinda taints it for me. Like when people meet their idol only to find out that he's a jerk in real life

jlauber
08-26-2012, 01:13 AM
haha, do you happen to know what the highest Wilt scored on thurmond vs Kareems highest against thurmond

You can look them up at basketball reference.com. They now have EVERY single boxscore dating back to 1946. The boxscores are limited, though, but they do contain the scoring totals. Incidently, here is a great link that Fpliii gave me...

http://nbastats.prv.pl/

Scroll about halfway down, and you will see "Wilt Chamberlain Game Logs," It is a spreadsheet that contains EVERY game that Chamberlain played. Here again, some of the info is not available, but there is a TON there.

And, if you want the most comprehensive take EVER on the 143 Russell-Wilt H2H's...here you go...

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0Aoy3YD7IdypTdEpOeFRwY29NRTUtWVlFWVJ5TkFDY 3c#gid=0

Kareem vs. Nate?

http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/showthread.php?t=193410

And my updated version...

http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/showthread.php?t=263453

jlauber
08-26-2012, 01:18 AM
every time this discussion comes up i mention that wilt was allowed to jump over the free throw line and basically do layups for all his free throws during that game

While Wilt (and other's, most notably TEX WINTER) have claimed that he could indeed dunk FTs, he NEVER did it in an NBA game. That was BANNED by Tex Winter's rules committee in the mid-50's.

jlauber
08-26-2012, 01:25 AM

I'm sorry, I misread your post (I am 57 after all)...

A prime Kareem played against Nate in 43 career H2H starts (even into Nate's last season as a starter.) He had SEVEN games of 30+ against Thurmond, with a high game of 34 points.

A Prime "scoring" Wilt only faced Nate in around a dozen games. However, in a span of 11 straight games, beginning with their last H2H in the 64-65 season, thru NINE H2H games in the 65-66 season, and into their first game of the 66-67 season, Chamberlain had SIX games of 30+ against Nate...including games in which he outscored Thurmond by margins of 33-17, 33-10, 38-15, and get this... 45-13!

kennethgriffin
08-26-2012, 01:29 AM
While Wilt (and other's, most notably TEX WINTER) have claimed that he could indeed dunk FTs, he NEVER did it in an NBA game. That was BANNED by Tex Winter's rules committee in the mid-50's.

i remember hearing they had the rule changed during that season he scored 100

honestly... theres no way a sub 50% free throw shooter is gonna hit 90+% free throws in a game when hes taking more than 30

dont you think its convenient it was untelevised?

Djahjaga
08-26-2012, 01:29 AM
I'm sorry, I misread your post (I am 57 after all)...

A prime Kareem played against Nate in 43 career H2H starts (even into Nate's last season as a starter.) He had SEVEN games of 30+ against Thurmond, with a high game of 34 points.

A Prime "scoring" Wilt only faced Nate in around a dozen games. However, in a span of 11 straight games, beginning with their last H2H in the 64-65 season, thru NINE H2H games in the 65-66 season, and into their first game of the 66-67 season, Chamberlain had SIX games of 30+ against Nate...including games in which he outscored Thurmond by margins of 33-17, 33-10, 38-15, and get this... 45-13!

How many of these games were below average scoring and rebounding-wise for Wilt (compared to the seasons they were played in)? Not trying to discredit him, but if Wilt dropped 30 on my team the year he averaged 50, I would consider that a job well done against him defensively.

jlauber
08-26-2012, 01:40 AM
How many of these games were below average scoring and rebounding-wise for Wilt (compared to the seasons they were played in)? Not trying to discredit him, but if Wilt dropped 30 on my team the year he averaged 50, I would consider that a job well done against him defensively.

Thurmond did as well a job as any center ever did against Wilt. But even he was brutalized by a PRIME "scoring" Wilt. However, Wilt's HIGH game against Nate was "only" 45 points. His HIGH game against Russell was 62 points. His HIGH game against Reed was 58. And his HIGH game against Bellamy was 73.

As for Russell, in Wilt's 61-62 season, he had TWO games under 30 points in the regular season, BOTH against Russell (games of 28 and 26 points), and then in game seven of the '62 ECF's, he held Wilt to 22 points.

However, while Wilt averaged 50.4 ppg on .506 shooting against the entire NBA in 61-62, in his 10 H2H regular season games against Russell, he "only" averaged 39.7 ppg on .471 shooting.

And, then in the '62 ECF's, Wilt "only" averaged 33.6 ppg on .468 shooting against Russell (while Russell averaged 22 ppg on .399 shooting against him.) Still, in the regular season, the NBA averaged 118.8 ppg on .426 shooting. In that 61-62 post-season, the NBA averaged 112.3 ppg on .411 shooting. So, in actuality, Wilt's "decline" was not as dramatic as the "anti-Chamberlain" gang would have you believe.

jlauber
08-26-2012, 01:42 AM

honestly... theres no way a sub 50% free throw shooter is gonna hit 90+% free throws in a game when hes taking more than 30

What I think is inconvenient, is the fact that we don't have footage of even ONE of Wilt's 271 40+ point games.

jongib369
08-26-2012, 01:45 AM
Thurmond did as well a job as any center ever did against Wilt. But even he was brutalized by a PRIME "scoring" Wilt. However, Wilt's HIGH game against Nate was "only" 45 points. His HIGH game against Russell was 62 points. His HIGH game against Reed was 58. And his HIGH game against Bellamy was 73.

As for Russell, in Wilt's 61-62 season, he had TWO games under 30 points in the regular season, BOTH against Russell (games of 28 and 26 points), and then in game seven of the '62 ECF's, he held Wilt to 22 points.

However, while Wilt averaged 50.4 ppg on .506 shooting against the entire NBA in 61-62, in his 10 H2H regular season games against Russell, he "only" averaged 39.7 ppg on .471 shooting.

And, then in the '62 ECF's, Wilt "only" averaged 33.6 ppg on .468 shooting against Russell (while Russell averaged 22 ppg on .399 shooting against him.) Still, in the regular season, the NBA averaged 118.8 ppg on .426 shooting. In that 61-62 post-season, the NBA averaged 112.3 ppg on .411 shooting. So, in actuality, Wilt's "decline" was not as dramatic as the "anti-Chamberlain" gang would have you believe.
and that 45 is saying a lot because Nate wasn't even in the league when he was averaging 50...so if he had the touches, who knows

jongib369
08-26-2012, 01:50 AM
holy crap...I haven't looked at all of them so far...but a prime scoring wilt is doing FAR better % wise than I thought he would have against thurmond...Kareem was held in the lower 400% while what Im seeing so far looking at these game logs is wilt averaging between 50% and 60% and sometimes +....SHESH!

jlauber
08-26-2012, 01:57 AM
holy crap...I haven't looked at all of them so far...but a prime scoring wilt is doing FAR better % wise than I thought he would have against thurmond...Kareem was held in the lower 400% while what Im seeing so far looking at these game logs is wilt averaging between 50% and 60% and sometimes +....SHESH!

I don't have the FG-FGAs from every one of the 43 career H2H matchups for Kareem vs. Nate, but in the one's that we do have, Kareem shot HORRIBLY against Nate. My best guesstimate would be that Kareem probably shot about 43% against Nate in those 43 career H2H's (and that may be generous.) We do KNOW that in their three straight playoff series from 70-71 thru 72-73, Kareem shot .486, .405, and .428 against Nate.

Meanwhile, in the three post-season series between Nate and Chamberlain, Wilt outshot Nate by margins of .500 to .392; .550 to .398; and in the '67 Finals, by a .560 to .343 margin (and that in Nate's greatest season, and in a year in which Thurmond finished second in the MVP voting.)

Asukal
08-26-2012, 01:59 AM
Wilt had a "manor" while scoring 100? :roll:

jongib369
08-26-2012, 02:10 AM
Wilt Chamberlain: What I like best about the 100-point game is that there is no videotape or film of it. There is just a scratchy radio tape. The game is shrouded in myth and mystery, and over the years people have been able to embellish it without facts getting in the way. As I've traveled the world, I've probably had 10,000 people tell me that they saw my 100 point game at Madison Square Garden. Well, the game was in Hershey and there were about 4,000 [actually 4,124] there. But that's fine. I have memories of the game and so do they, and over the years the memories get better. It's like your first girlfriend--the picture you have in your head is always better than how she looked in real life.

Tom Meschery (teammate): Hershey had one of those dreary, old, dungeonlike arenas with overlapping rafters. Because the Hershey Company was there, the whole town smelled like fresh chocolate. We had trained in Hershey, so we were acquainted with the gym. Right away, I knew Wilt was in for a big night because he was making all of his free throws.

Wilt Chamberlain: To me, the 100-point game was inevitable that season. I was averaging 50 point. I had 78 in a game [three months earlier]. In high school, I once scored 90 [in 32 minutes] and shot 36-for-41. I always scored a lot, so I figured that 100 would come. But I certainly did not decide to go for it that night in Hershey. Even by halftime, I had 41 and it wasn't that big of a deal. I had scored 40 in a half before.

Al Attles (teammate): Wilt just kept scoring. He had 69 after three quarters. Dave Zinkoff was doing the PA and after every basket Wilt scored in the fourth quarter, he'd announce, "That's 82 for Wilt." So everyone in the game knew the situation and it just evolved to the point where we wanted Wilt to get 100.

Wilt Chamberlain: When I got into the 80s, I heard the fans yelling for 100. I thought, "Man, these people are tough. Eighty isn't good enough. I'm tired. I've got 80 points and no on e has ever scored 80." At one point, I said to Al Attles, "I got 80, what' the difference between 80 and 100?" But the guys kept feeding me the ball.

Tom Meschery (teammate): By the fourth quarter, the Knicks were waiting until the 24-second shot clock was about to expire before they shot. When we had the ball, they were fouling everyone except Wilt so he wouldn't get 100. So we would take the ball out-of-bounds and throw high lobs directly to Wilt near the basket. When Wilt wanted the ball, he was big enough and strong enough to go get it. Guys were hanging on his back, and he was still catching the pass and scoring. I knew it was going to happen when with about five minutes left Wilt dunked one and nearly threw two New York players into the basket with the ball, and Dave Zinkoff yelled over the PA, "Dipper Dunk for 86!"

Richie Guerin (Knick): they can complain about us fouling people, but Frank McGuire sent some subs into the game and they were fouling us immediately to get the ball back and give Wilt some more chances.

Pete D'Ambrosio (official): The game was a real pain in the neck to call. The last three minutes of the game took about 20 minutes. The Knicks were jumping on guys just to keep the ball away from Wilt. Then New York would get the ball, and Philly would foul.

Harvey Pollack (PR Man): Darrell Imhoff started at center against Wilt, but he fouled out and played only about half the game. By the end of the game, all of their big men had fouled out.

[Chamberlain was guarded by Cleveland Buckner, who was listed as 6-foot-9 but was closer to 6-foot-7. Chamberlain scored his 98th point with 1:19 left]

Harvey Pollack (PR Man): Here is exactly what happened for the 100th point. Wilt took a shot and missed and missed. It rebounded out to Joe Ruklick. Even this has been disputed, because the NBA said it was Paul Arizin, but I called them and they changed it.
Rulick got the ball, passed it to Wilt and Wilt made a layup, not a dunk as some people reported.
The ball went through the rim with 46 seconds left, the fans rushed on the court and the game ended there.

Al Attles (teammate): After the game, Wilt was in the dressing room and he wasn't celebrating like the rest of us.
I said, "Wilt what's the matter?"
He said, "I never thought I'd take 60 shots in a game."
I said, "But you made 36--that's better than 50 percent."
He said, "But Al--63 shots, Al."
Then he just shook his head.

Harvey Pollack (PR man): The one famous picture from the game is Wilt in the dressing room holding up a little sign that said, "100." The photographers wanted something special and I just grabbed a piece of paper, wrote 100 on it, Wilt held it up and it went all over the country.

Wilt Chamberlain: The 100-point game will never be as important to me as it is to some other people. That's because I'm embarrassed by it. After I got into the 80s, I pushed for 100 and it destroyed the game because I took shots that I normally never would. I was not real fluid. I mean, 63 shots? You take that many shots on the playground and no one ever wants you on their team again. I never considered myself a gunner. I led the league in scoring because I also led them in field goal percentage. I've had many better games than this one, games where I scored 50-60 and shot 75 percent.

Richie Guerin (Knick): I'm not saying this to take anything away from Wilt. I think Wilt is the best big man to play the game--ever. I am convinced that he can go out there today at 50-some years old and be better than most of the guys starting now.
But that game was not played as it should have been played. The second half was a travesty. I don't care what the Philly people say, I'm convinced that during the half they decided to get Wilt 100. He took nearly every shot. In the normal flow, Wilt would have scored 80-85 points which is mind-boggling when you thing about it. I'm sorry, this may be basketball history but I always felt very bad about that game. I got so sick of it that I intentionally fouled out.

jlauber
08-26-2012, 02:17 AM
Wilt Chamberlain: What I like best about the 100-point game is that there is no videotape or film of it. There is just a scratchy radio tape. The game is shrouded in myth and mystery, and over the years people have been able to embellish it without facts getting in the way. As I've traveled the world, I've probably had 10,000 people tell me that they saw my 100 point game at Madison Square Garden. Well, the game was in Hershey and there were about 4,000 [actually 4,124] there. But that's fine. I have memories of the game and so do they, and over the years the memories get better. It's like your first girlfriend--the picture you have in your head is always better than how she looked in real life.

Tom Meschery (teammate): Hershey had one of those dreary, old, dungeonlike arenas with overlapping rafters. Because the Hershey Company was there, the whole town smelled like fresh chocolate. We had trained in Hershey, so we were acquainted with the gym. Right away, I knew Wilt was in for a big night because he was making all of his free throws.

Wilt Chamberlain: To me, the 100-point game was inevitable that season. I was averaging 50 point. I had 78 in a game [three months earlier]. In high school, I once scored 90 [in 32 minutes] and shot 36-for-41. I always scored a lot, so I figured that 100 would come. But I certainly did not decide to go for it that night in Hershey. Even by halftime, I had 41 and it wasn't that big of a deal. I had scored 40 in a half before.

Al Attles (teammate): Wilt just kept scoring. He had 69 after three quarters. Dave Zinkoff was doing the PA and after every basket Wilt scored in the fourth quarter, he'd announce, "That's 82 for Wilt." So everyone in the game knew the situation and it just evolved to the point where we wanted Wilt to get 100.

Wilt Chamberlain: When I got into the 80s, I heard the fans yelling for 100. I thought, "Man, these people are tough. Eighty isn't good enough. I'm tired. I've got 80 points and no on e has ever scored 80." At one point, I said to Al Attles, "I got 80, what' the difference between 80 and 100?" But the guys kept feeding me the ball.

Tom Meschery (teammate): By the fourth quarter, the Knicks were waiting until the 24-second shot clock was about to expire before they shot. When we had the ball, they were fouling everyone except Wilt so he wouldn't get 100. So we would take the ball out-of-bounds and throw high lobs directly to Wilt near the basket. When Wilt wanted the ball, he was big enough and strong enough to go get it. Guys were hanging on his back, and he was still catching the pass and scoring. I knew it was going to happen when with about five minutes left Wilt dunked one and nearly threw two New York players into the basket with the ball, and Dave Zinkoff yelled over the PA, "Dipper Dunk for 86!"

Richie Guerin (Knick): they can complain about us fouling people, but Frank McGuire sent some subs into the game and they were fouling us immediately to get the ball back and give Wilt some more chances.

Pete D'Ambrosio (official): The game was a real pain in the neck to call. The last three minutes of the game took about 20 minutes. The Knicks were jumping on guys just to keep the ball away from Wilt. Then New York would get the ball, and Philly would foul.

Harvey Pollack (PR Man): Darrell Imhoff started at center against Wilt, but he fouled out and played only about half the game. By the end of the game, all of their big men had fouled out.

[Chamberlain was guarded by Cleveland Buckner, who was listed as 6-foot-9 but was closer to 6-foot-7. Chamberlain scored his 98th point with 1:19 left]

Harvey Pollack (PR Man): Here is exactly what happened for the 100th point. Wilt took a shot and missed and missed. It rebounded out to Joe Ruklick. Even this has been disputed, because the NBA said it was Paul Arizin, but I called them and they changed it.
Rulick got the ball, passed it to Wilt and Wilt made a layup, not a dunk as some people reported.
The ball went through the rim with 46 seconds left, the fans rushed on the court and the game ended there.

Al Attles (teammate): After the game, Wilt was in the dressing room and he wasn't celebrating like the rest of us.
I said, "Wilt what's the matter?"
He said, "I never thought I'd take 60 shots in a game."
I said, "But you made 36--that's better than 50 percent."
He said, "But Al--63 shots, Al."
Then he just shook his head.

Harvey Pollack (PR man): The one famous picture from the game is Wilt in the dressing room holding up a little sign that said, "100." The photographers wanted something special and I just grabbed a piece of paper, wrote 100 on it, Wilt held it up and it went all over the country.

Wilt Chamberlain: The 100-point game will never be as important to me as it is to some other people. That's because I'm embarrassed by it. After I got into the 80s, I pushed for 100 and it destroyed the game because I took shots that I normally never would. I was not real fluid. I mean, 63 shots? You take that many shots on the playground and no one ever wants you on their team again. I never considered myself a gunner. I led the league in scoring because I also led them in field goal percentage. I've had many better games than this one, games where I scored 50-60 and shot 75 percent.

Richie Guerin (Knick): I'm not saying this to take anything away from Wilt. I think Wilt is the best big man to play the game--ever. I am convinced that he can go out there today at 50-some years old and be better than most of the guys starting now.
But that game was not played as it should have been played. The second half was a travesty. I don't care what the Philly people say, I'm convinced that during the half they decided to get Wilt 100. He took nearly every shot. In the normal flow, Wilt would have scored 80-85 points which is mind-boggling when you thing about it. I'm sorry, this may be basketball history but I always felt very bad about that game. I got so sick of it that I intentionally fouled out.

Great post.

:applause:

SourPatchKids
08-26-2012, 02:19 AM
http://cdn3.mixrmedia.com/wp-uploads/girlybubble/blog/2012/01/tumblr_lvitt8bemb1qm4heyo1_500.gif

Sarcastic
08-26-2012, 02:33 AM
Do you at least respect 55 rebounds? That's actually a greater record imo.

alleykat
08-26-2012, 02:45 AM
Do you at least respect 55 rebounds? That's actually a greater record imo.

that's aite lol

fpliii
08-26-2012, 02:55 AM
pre-Warriors Wilt is such a strange phenomenon...I can't rate that player, as there were so many weird happenings about him over his first few years in the league

am I just nuts, or does anyone else ignore Wilt prior to the 1964-65 season due to the inexplicability of what went down during his first five seasons?

jlip
08-26-2012, 02:56 AM

Is that question serious? During the 60's there were some seasons that the NBA didn't even have a national television contract. On top of that, the NBA was still not quite a popular league that would draw huge TV ratings. It was a meaningless game (in terms of playoff seeding) and played at an arena that held barely 7,000 people. The Philadelphia Inquirer paper didn't even send anyone to Hershey to cover it. There was nothing strange about this game NOT being on TV. Many games were not televised back then.

BoutPractice
08-26-2012, 03:15 AM
Which is why you we ought to respect that performance, even in its purported goal (goal which, btw seemed to be more Wilt's teammates' than Wilt's.)

At the time, the NBA wasn't covered internationally 24/7 on every news media... getting a record like 100 points was actually beneficial to basketball, as it was instrumental in making it more popular.

senelcoolidge
08-26-2012, 03:32 AM

That's what I heard too. He highly regarded his 55 rebound game against Russell. He really took pride in his rebounding.

LBJMVP
08-26-2012, 03:52 AM
i 100% agree with this thread.

i have seen kobe 81 point game and saw how he scored, sure he was ball hogging, but the way wilt got to 100 points was absurd.

i saw a documentary talking about how every one of wilts teammates would pass him the ball no matter what happened, plus the other would foul whoever they could on the other team as long as it wasn't wilt.

that shit is impressive nontheless, but it isn't as impressive when you hear the facts.

as a kid all you think about is 100 points bla bla bla.... but he got it in a pretty cheat way

even wilt said that he was dissapointed at how big of a ball hog he was that game, and that means he was a big ass ball hog that game.

madmax17
08-26-2012, 05:22 AM
I think the Knicks starting center was injured.

NumberSix
08-26-2012, 05:29 AM
WAIT!

There was another tall black guy in the NBA in Wilt's era? :wtf:

Psileas
08-26-2012, 08:21 AM

1) The game wasn't over when Wilt hit 50. They were still in the first half of the 3rd quarter, and though the Warriors were leading fairly comfortably, we're not talking about a practically insurmountable lead, like 80-45. It would make no sense for Wilt's team to help him get the new record by using tricks that early. Wilt was pretty hot anyway, and it seemed like he'd get to break his 78 point record in the flow of the game.

2) The percentage of possessions Wilt used was very high, but not unheard of. He took 54.8% of his team's shots. There are other instances of players taking comparably high percentages of their teams' shots. Jordan took an estimated 51.6% of his team's shots in his 64 point game against Orlando. David Robinson was at 51.4% in his 71-pointer. Kobe was at 59.8% vs Toronto and an even more incredible 62.9% against Dallas. Also, he took 51.6% of his team's shots in a 2003 game against Boston when he got only 41 points. Allen Iverson was at 50.8% in his 60-pointer. Also at 50.8% in a 2001 43-point game and at 57.7% in a 2002 42-point game. So, only out of my memory, Wilt's adjusted "ballhogging" falls at #4. The difference between bigs and smalls is that the small guy takes the shots himself, while the big is fed the ball, which makes the big look more selfish, since bigs control the ball in a smaller portion of the game than smalls.

3) What you describe in your last paragraph happened when Wilt was approaching 100. Obviously there was help and tricks involved, as there has been with other cases. Teammates passed him open shots? Modern NBA (usually) guards ignore teammates with open looks all the time when they get hot. Again, it's the fact that Wilt was fed the ball that makes his act look worse. Oh, and the fact that the opposing defense had collapsed almost exclusively on Wilt, which makes his shooting more ballhoggish, but also a tougher task. But Wilt was already approaching 100 when this was done.

4) Why does seemingly everybody who claims he's read the report of the game mention the thing about Wilt's teammates fouling other players but fails to counter that the Knicks were fouling Wilt's teammates so that the ball doesn't get to him? Yes, from one point on, the Warriors did everything to help Wilt get 100 and the Knicks did everything in their power to disallow it. It's not as if it was just the one side playing tricks.

5) Like others mentioned, there have been more efficient and economical high scoring games of Wilt, and my view is that his 100-pointer is overstated compared to them. 68 on 30-40 FG's, 58 on 26-34, 70 on 27-38 and some others were arguably at least as impressive.

kurple
08-26-2012, 08:29 AM
you are borderline retarded if you didnt know this before googling it

it's impossible to score 100, if your teammates doesnt help you

Psileas
08-26-2012, 09:29 AM

No, they hadn't. Never in Wilt's NBA career applied any free throw rule that allowed players to take off from the FT line.

Wilt was NOT a sub 50% free throw shooter in 1962. He shot close to 62% and this included a streak of 40 games at 50%+. Shooting 88% from the line in a game is at times a confidence matter. It's not easy for a non good FT shooter, but it can be done. Shaq once had a 13-13 FT shooting game, one of the 5 best "100% FT shooting" performances of the whole season.

Most importantly, there has not been a single reference of Wilt dunking his FT's in this game, either. We've read pretty detailed accounts from the game, by far the most for any game that hasn't been televised, we have almost the whole 4th quarter on radio, yet, not a single mention of Wilt dunking any FT.

As for the game not getting televised, this matter has been covered already. Most games from that period weren't televised and most from the ones which were were high interest games, usuallly involving the Celtics facing Wilt's teams or the Lakers.

Kblaze8855
08-26-2012, 09:56 AM

That you could believe a guy dunked in 28-30FTs one game and nobody thought to mention it even though it was banned years earlier is among the most amazing things ive ever read. And you just keep saying it as if you arent aware how crazy it is after it being explained many times.

There are audio broadcasts of the game in the 4th quarter. You dont think that if wilt were flying in and dunking the FTs they would mention that?

You think for one night the refs and a few thousand fans forgot the rules and decided not to tell anyone? You think the Knicks who were so set on stopping him they were fouling other people on purpose wouldnt have mentioned how he dropped 100 on them by breaking the rules 30 times? Not like he never had a good FT shooting night. Same year he had games of 18/23, 15/20, 17/22, 15 of 19 and so on. Shaq has had games of 15/20, 16/18, and 13 of 13 and so on in seasons he shot worse than Wilt did in 62. It happens.

Really...what the **** is wrong with you?

L.Kizzle
08-26-2012, 10:01 AM
Well, it was 1962. TV was fairly new outlet.

ILLsmak
08-26-2012, 10:45 AM
I think jlauber gets notified when anybody makes a post about wilt anywhere on the net..:oldlol:

rofl. For real tho, it's crazy...

-Smak

Niquesports
08-26-2012, 10:47 AM

The REAL Bellamy was the white guy with glasses standing behind him in that photo. In fact, that was the entire Bellamy team behind Wilt.

Those guys really tried to stop Wilt kinda hard in suits though. maybe that how Wilt got his 100. They had on suits and were short white guys

Niquesports
08-26-2012, 10:55 AM
i 100% agree with this thread.

i have seen kobe 81 point game and saw how he scored, sure he was ball hogging, but the way wilt got to 100 points was absurd.

i saw a documentary talking about how every one of wilts teammates would pass him the ball no matter what happened, plus the other would foul whoever they could on the other team as long as it wasn't wilt.

that shit is impressive nontheless, but it isn't as impressive when you hear the facts.

as a kid all you think about is 100 points bla bla bla.... but he got it in a pretty cheat way

even wilt said that he was dissapointed at how big of a ball hog he was that game, and that means he was a big ass ball hog that game.
Well Kobe cheated caues Elgin had 71 with no 3pt line. If there was a 3pt line Elgin would had had 90pts. IF you look at pace of game.

SpecialQue
08-26-2012, 12:23 PM
No one gives a shit about some random internet forum poster's opinion on a historic game by one of the most legendary athletes of all time.

The whole "fvck Wilt" attitude on ISH is embarrassing.

JMT
08-26-2012, 12:49 PM

Then you must look like a real dope every time this discussion comes up, because you don't know what you're talking about. Simply untrue.

JMT
08-26-2012, 12:51 PM

It was the early 60's. Regular season NBA games were rarely televised.

It's incredible. You keep typing and it keeps adding less to the discussion.

senelcoolidge
08-26-2012, 01:18 PM
Of course he took a lot of shots and his teammates fed him the ball..it's 100 points by one person..what do you expect. There are only so many minutes and possessions in a game. Wilt had plenty of other high scoring games. The 100 point game wasn't even the game that he rated as his best.

magictricked
08-26-2012, 01:42 PM
dont you think its convenient it was untelevised?:roll: :roll: :roll:

That is possibly the most ignorant statement I've ever read on the internet.

Congrats you're right there with the idiot who strapped a JATO to his Impala

The_Yearning
08-26-2012, 02:20 PM
Wilt is like the Pele of soccer.

They wouldn't last in today's game.

madmax17
08-26-2012, 02:38 PM
I think it's convenient they never televised the first basketball game, probably because Naismith never invented it, it was Hitler in fact who invented the sport to prove the supremacy of the Aryan race, then the Americans stole it along with some V2 missiles and German scientists and said yeah a Canadian invented it 50 years ago.

DKLaker
08-26-2012, 03:18 PM

:roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

No hate on jlauber, but I think you're right :oldlol:

jstern
08-26-2012, 03:54 PM

Crazy stats he told me

Yeah, I was about to say something similar, that I remember reading how the Knicks tried to stop him from scoring. It was a while back, so I don't remember anything specific of what I read, but the image that I get is that of a fight.

TROLL_HUNTER
08-27-2012, 07:05 PM
:applause: what deserves my applause and hats off is that after 4 pages none brought up Kobe's 81 pts game. Nice!

On topic, 100 pts in a game its an amazing achievement. Sports existed before TV and internet, you know.

TheBigVeto
08-28-2012, 07:35 AM

Those guys aren't chokers like Wilt.

INDI
08-28-2012, 09:04 AM
you are borderline retarded if you didnt know this before googling it

it's impossible to score 100, if your teammates doesnt help you
There is a difference between teammates helping you and literally refusing to shoot. I read from an opposing team members review of the game, that at one point they had all 5 guys surrounding wilt.

Tell me have you ever saw a player quintupled? And even worse could you imagine a scene where 4 guys have no one on them but yet is still trying to get the ball to the 1 who has 5 players guarding him?

Mach_3
08-28-2012, 03:43 PM

"Good game now let's go get some of those 20,000 b1tches you got layin around"