PDA

View Full Version : Prime Rampage Jackson vs Prime Mike Tyson

Thechosen1
09-03-2012, 12:51 AM
who wins? a street fight?

plowking
09-03-2012, 01:01 AM
Mike Tyson by destruction. I've never understood the hype about Rampage.

DCL
09-03-2012, 01:02 AM
street fight... tyson would bite anywhere, maybe even the *******s, and gouge eyes and sh!t. no regard for rules. just animal behavior. with no refs, he'd probably end up killing him. and all that ground grappling when you leave your nuts all open for attack is useless in street fight. :lol

DaHeezy
09-03-2012, 01:09 AM
Rampage. He's actually a big LHW. I think he's actually bigger than Tyson.

All he has to do is negate his fists and Tyson would be at his mercy. It's not like Rampage has never taken a hit before. Remember what Couture did to James Toney? I see the same result

Is He Ill
09-03-2012, 01:20 AM
Tyson, never mess with somebody that has a tattoo on their face. His brute strength and sheer craziness would probably be enough to whip Rampage's ass. I would take prime Mike over most fighters though.

gigantes
09-03-2012, 01:23 AM

All he has to do is negate his fists and Tyson would be at his mercy. It's not like Rampage has never taken a hit before. Remember what Couture did to James Toney? I see the same result
speaking as a fellow fan of MMA-- you're drunk, right?

G-train
09-03-2012, 01:33 AM
never mess with somebody that has a tattoo on their face.

thats what they want you to think

G-train
09-03-2012, 01:34 AM

They are roughly same height, but Tyson is significantly heavier.

ClutchOver9000
09-03-2012, 01:46 AM
Prime Tyson takes this easily. Rampage may be an MMA fighter but his style is predominantly boxing/brawling. The dude hates wrestling and the ground game, but loves to stand and bang, which would make him mince meat against Iron Mike who would be significantly heavier and more powerful punching-wise, not to mention more aggressive/crazy.

dkmwise
09-03-2012, 01:55 AM
Remember what Couture did to James Toney? I see the same result

Exactly . Unless Tyson has some grappling training we don't know about, Rampage will take him down easily. Rampage may be known for his KO's but he got his start as a wrestler in high school and college.

DaHeezy
09-03-2012, 01:57 AM
They are roughly same height, but Tyson is significantly heavier.

Rampage has about 3 inches on Tyson. Plus Tyson weight is very similar. Rampage not at weight is a huge person. I've met him during the set of A-Team. He's pushing 230.

DaHeezy
09-03-2012, 02:00 AM
Prime Tyson takes this easily. Rampage may be an MMA fighter but his style is predominantly boxing/brawling. The dude hates wrestling and the ground game, but loves to stand and bang, which would make him mince meat against Iron Mike who would be significantly heavier and more powerful punching-wise, not to mention more aggressive/crazy.

Rampage is know for his strength and vicious slams. Also fighting out of the clinch and gets takedown 1/3 of his fights scored.
I think through reputation Rampage won't exchange. Easy to say in UFC where he's better than most of the field as a striker, but he won't tangle on the streets fistacuffs against a world renowned puncher.

ClutchOver9000
09-03-2012, 02:11 AM
Rampage is know for his strength and vicious slams. Also fighting out of the clinch and gets takedown 1/3 of his fights scored.
I think through reputation Rampage won't exchange. Easy to say in UFC where he's better than most of the field as a striker, but he won't tangle on the streets fistacuffs against a world renowned puncher.

Doubt it. He may have good wrestling credentials but his mentality is to brawl/box. Its just his nature. Hence why he hates fighting wrestlers.

Sure he's dominated fighters on the ground before, slammed fighters (him powerbombing Arona to unconciousness is a timeless MMA moment) etc but if his opponent makes it clear that he wants a stand up fight, then Rampage will most likely oblige, ie: him fighting a superior striker in Wandy back in Pride. Dude viciously traded shots till he eventually got KTFO'd.

As for his clinch work, he'd probably have great success throwing knees as Tyson has never dealt w/ an opponent throwing knees but Tyson's body combos would likely be the end of Rampage in a clinch unless Rampage, as you say, decides to take it to the ground.

Patrick Chewing
09-03-2012, 02:17 AM
He was called Iron Mike for a reason. Mr. T has been proven to have no heart.

DaHeezy
09-03-2012, 02:21 AM
He was called Iron Mike for a reason. Mr. T has been proven to have no heart.

There's a reason why he's called Rampage:confusedshrug:

Speaking of heart, a guy bit a man's ear off because he was being dummied. You really questioning Rampage's heart?

YGS
09-03-2012, 02:22 AM
Junk removed

G-train
09-03-2012, 02:24 AM
Rampage has about 3 inches on Tyson. Plus Tyson weight is very similar. Rampage not at weight is a huge person. I've met him during the set of A-Team. He's pushing 230.

Rampage is 6 foot tall 205 and Mike is 5'11 220 when fighting.
Rampage might be 6'1 if lucky.

DaHeezy
09-03-2012, 02:37 AM
Rampage is 6 foot tall 205 and Mike is 5'11 220 when fighting.
Rampage might be 6'1 if lucky.

Rampage is 6'1. That weight is what he cuts to. He walks around at 225. I've met him and would vouch for that. Maybe bigger. Tyson does not need to cut in his weight class

bdreason
09-03-2012, 03:05 AM
If Tyson hadn't trained an TD defense, and Rampage fought smart.... Tyson would get taken down and GnPd in the first round.

DaHeezy
09-03-2012, 01:25 PM
If Tyson hadn't trained an TD defense, and Rampage fought smart.... Tyson would get taken down and GnPd in the first round.

This is a street fight so I don't think there would be rounds, but I agree.

Jackass18
09-03-2012, 05:31 PM

There's a reason why he was called "Slampage". He liked to slam people... I see Tyson getting slammed on his head. How would Tyson be significantly heavier?

Mike Tyson: I was never a big heavy weight, when I was in my prime I never weighed over 217, 219

Rampage cuts down to 205. Also, Rampage is pretty crazy himself, not that craziness is a big determining factor. As long as Rampage didn't fight like a moron, I don't see why he wouldn't win. But whatever, keep on worshiping Mike Tyson as if he was some sort of mythical beast of lore.

ClutchOver9000
09-03-2012, 05:50 PM
There's a reason why he was called "Slampage". He liked to slam people... I see Tyson getting slammed on his head. How would Tyson be significantly heavier?

Rampage cuts down to 205. Also, Rampage is pretty crazy himself, not that craziness is a big determining factor. As long as Rampage didn't fight like a moron, I don't see why he wouldn't win. But whatever, keep on worshiping Mike Tyson as if he was some sort of mythical beast of lore.

lol nobody's worshipping anyone.

And no, Rampage is not crazy at all, dude is a goofball, he's a fun-loving guy. If you think Page is on the same level attitude-wise as prime Mike then idk what to tell you.

BTW crazy is a determining factor, remember this is a street fight. I think I'll take my chances on the guy who bit someone's ear off in the ring. At the end of the day this is only a theoretical situation so there's no wrong answer but I'm going w/ Prime Mike, and rather easily.

DaHeezy
09-03-2012, 06:19 PM
And no, Rampage is not crazy at all, dude is a goofball, he's a fun-loving guy.

And Mike Tyosn isn't?

http://www.worldstarhiphop.com/videos/video.php?v=wshh9NfFU29k231GfhyP

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nNlbFJEZiTg

If you think Page is on the same level attitude-wise as prime Mike then idk what to tell you.
BTW crazy is a determining factor, remember this is a street fight. I think I'll take my chances on the guy who bit someone's ear off in the ring. At the end of the day this is only a theoretical situation so there's no wrong answer but I'm going w/ Prime Mike, and rather easily.

Page is a crazy MOFO. Just because he's not unstable like Mike, doesn't mean he's a physco. Jones even commented on how Page is a mean SOB out in public.

Jackass18
09-03-2012, 06:43 PM
lol nobody's worshipping anyone.

And no, Rampage is not crazy at all, dude is a goofball, he's a fun-loving guy.

I'd think his little escapade behind the wheel would be enough alone:

Turns out, if local news had run the Rampage Jackson car chase live, it could have gotten Super Bowl ratings because it was one of the craziest chases on record, causing pedestrians to "flee for their lives."

As TMZ first reported, the just-defeated UFC champ was busted yesterday afternoon for alleged felony hit and run. Now we have the details -- and they're insane! Rampage was on the 55 Freeway in the O.C., hit two cars and got off the freeway. The chase was on.

Rampage then began driving on the center divider. But it gets worse. According to the police report, Jackson then drove on the sidewalk, "causing pedestrians to flee for their lives." He started driving the wrong way on a crowded street, colliding with yet another car in an intersection. As he continued on, running several red lights, his tire disintegrated and he began driving on the rim.

Rampage eventually got to the exclusive Balboa Peninsula in Newport Beach, where he again drove on the sidewalk, "causing pedestrians to flee in terror."

Eventually, his car came to a stop and he was taken into custody at gunpoint. Cops took him to the Orange County Jail, but they determined he was "medically unfit" to be booked. Cops won't say if he was high.

Rampage is currently in an O.C. hospital.

LOL at fun-loving guy...

If you think Page is on the same level attitude-wise as prime Mike then idk what to tell you.

If you think Rampage is sane, then I don't know what to tell you.

He bit a guy's ear in desperation. Rampage slams guys on their head, and he's done it to guys at 230+ lbs. Rampage has been crazy enough to basically say '**** people's lives, I'll run your ass over if you get in my way'. Nobody's worshiping anyone and yet you think Tyson would easily win because he bit someone's ear?

lefthook00
09-03-2012, 10:07 PM
That rampage that Rampage went on ended on the corner of the block where I used to live.

Same story every time. Elite boxer gets beat in the cage, elite mmartist gets beat in the ring. A boxer has a slightly higher chance of winning in the cage than an mmartist winning in the ring.

plowking
09-03-2012, 10:19 PM

:oldlol:

Rampage against the better strikers in the UFC has always played it on the outside and waited for his spots. Which is why I never understood the nickname. He never dictates against other great strikers, he never looks to go at anyone, etc.

He'd be too scared to get close to Mike, so what makes you think he can take him down? You're talking about one of the most precise and hardest hitters of his generation in Mike Tyson.

iamgine
09-03-2012, 10:22 PM
A likely scenario is Jackson would fall first and Tyson will bend down trying to finish him on the ground. Jackson would then dominate Tyson through his superior ground skills.

jamal99
09-03-2012, 10:25 PM
Rampage is actually pretty good wrestler, but I doubt he'd be able to take Tyson down in a street fight. Prime Iron Mike was just too explosive, one good punch and and Rampage is a goner...

ClutchOver9000
09-03-2012, 10:57 PM
And Mike Tyosn isn't?

http://www.worldstarhiphop.com/videos/video.php?v=wshh9NfFU29k231GfhyP

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nNlbFJEZiTg

Page is a crazy MOFO. Just because he's not unstable like Mike, doesn't mean he's a physco. Jones even commented on how Page is a mean SOB out in public.

We're talking prime Mike aka the mentally unstable, if you look at me wrong ill knock your lights out and do perverted things to your corpse Mike not current Mike. Therefore those videos are invalid.

ClutchOver9000
09-03-2012, 11:06 PM
I'd think his little escapade behind the wheel would be enough alone:

LOL at fun-loving guy...

If you think Rampage is sane, then I don't know what to tell you.

He bit a guy's ear in desperation. Rampage slams guys on their head, and he's done it to guys at 230+ lbs. Rampage has been crazy enough to basically say '**** people's lives, I'll run your ass over if you get in my way'. Nobody's worshiping anyone and yet you think Tyson would easily win because he bit someone's ear?

:lol no, I think Tyson would win based on his significant (and I mean significant) edge in punching power/explosiveness, and similar if not equal size.

Think about it, the guy was one-shot KO'ing ppl w/ big ass pillows on his hands, not the thin-cushioned MMA gloves like Rampage wears.

As for the biting thing, the fact that in a moment of vulnerability/desperation he'd bite an opponent's ear off like a biscuit just adds to my argument considering we're talking about a street fight.

Rampage's escapade behind the wheel has nothing to do w/ an opponent.

Jackass18
09-04-2012, 12:35 AM
:lol no, I think Tyson would win based on his significant (and I mean significant) edge in punching power/explosiveness, and similar if not equal size.

Rampage is explosive too. Punching power alone is not going to win you fights if you're going against someone who actually knows how to fight. You can exaggerate about all this significant size, power, dick size, whatever advantage, but it doesn't change the fact that Rampage has tossed around guys bigger than Tyson. KO'd guys bigger than Tyson with slams and he wasn't fighting on as hard a surface as he would be in a street fight. What's Tyson going to do on the ground with Rampage on top of him?

Think about it, the guy was one-shot KO'ing ppl w/ big ass pillows on his hands, not the thin-cushioned MMA gloves like Rampage wears.

Rampage did, too. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nedoYSGXvOM
I'm not saying he should try to outbox Tyson, though.

As for the biting thing, the fact that in a moment of vulnerability/desperation he'd bite an opponent's ear off like a biscuit just adds to my argument considering we're talking about a street fight.

I like how you assume that Tyson is the only person who'd fight like that. Though, I'm not sure how he'd be able to bite someone if he was getting choked out, which is yet another possible scenario for Rampage winning. He knows chokes, other submissions, wrestling, etc. while Tyson would just be a one-dimensional puncher. Part of what helped Tyson was his ability to intimidate his opponents. What happened when he couldn't? He fell apart. Rampage wouldn't be intimidated and he'd cause him to fall apart. Rampage was asked about fighting Tyson, and his response: "Oh, I'd whoop his ass. If I fight Mike Tyson on MMA rules, I

ClutchOver9000
09-04-2012, 01:10 AM
Rampage is explosive too. Punching power alone is not going to win you fights if you're going against someone who actually knows how to fight. You can exaggerate about all this significant size, power, dick size, whatever advantage, but it doesn't change the fact that Rampage has tossed around guys bigger than Tyson. KO'd guys bigger than Tyson with slams and he wasn't fighting on as hard a surface as he would be in a street fight. What's Tyson going to do on the ground with Rampage on top of him?

Rampage did, too. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nedoYSGXvOM
I'm not saying he should try to outbox Tyson, though.

I like how you assume that Tyson is the only person who'd fight like that. Though, I'm not sure how he'd be able to bite someone if he was getting choked out, which is yet another possible scenario for Rampage winning. He knows chokes, other submissions, wrestling, etc. while Tyson would just be a one-dimensional puncher. Part of what helped Tyson was his ability to intimidate his opponents. What happened when he couldn't? He fell apart. Rampage wouldn't be intimidated and he'd cause him to fall apart. Rampage was asked about fighting Tyson, and his response: "Oh, I'd whoop his ass. If I fight Mike Tyson on MMA rules, I’ll whoop his ass, he’d be on his back quick."

You said he wasn't crazy at all and was a fun-loving goofball. I provided evidence to the contrary.

when I mean crazy I'm talking in terms of the lengths one will go to in order to hurt an opponent. Rampage's wild escapade has nothing to do w/ that.

And you think I'm exaggerating when I say Prime Tyson holds a significant edge in punching power? Really now?

BTW did you just insinuate that Tyson doesn't know how to fight as if he only possesses punching power? We're talking a world class boxer who got into the sport because he was always getting into street fights and getting arrested because of it.

Fights start out standing, and to get your opponent to the ground you're gonna have to get in close, which is a moot point anyway because I'm sure Rampage would try to stand and get caught. Rampage is not a wrestling-oriented fighter despite his credentials, and his mentality is to throw the hands. Dude is as one-dimensional of an MMA fighter as you can get and I love Rampage.

But let's just agree to disagree.

Jackass18
09-04-2012, 02:15 AM
when I mean crazy I'm talking in terms of the lengths one will go to in order to hurt an opponent. Rampage's wild escapade has nothing to do w/ that.

You're trying to force some sort of point here due to your obvious Tyson bias. It becomes clear when a person acts like only 1 side in a fight would do whatever to win a fight. Somehow, the other person would be a perfect gentlemen while the other guy is the only one willing to do whatever in a fight. Rampage grew up fighting on the streets and joined MMA because he'd get paid to fight and wouldn't go to jail for it.

And you think I'm exaggerating when I say Prime Tyson holds a significant edge in punching power? Really now?

Well, a boxer with a clear, significant advantage in size, strength and punching power should easily beat a much smaller guy, right? Well, here's a fight where the boxer outweighs the other guy by about 70lbs: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TOSEw5C_nVM

BTW did you just insinuate that Tyson doesn't know how to fight as if he only possesses punching power? We're talking a world class boxer who got into the sport because he was always getting into street fights and getting arrested because of it.

That's not what I was trying to say. When I said, "actually knows how to fight", I was talking about the difference between fighting someone who doesn't know how to and someone who does. Punching power alone won't get the job done. Just look at the above fight. He beat Botha faster than Tyson did.

Fights start out standing, and to get your opponent to the ground you're gonna have to get in close, which is a moot point anyway because I'm sure Rampage would try to stand and get caught.

I gave you a direct quote from Rampage, but with your bias you think Rampage will just stand there and let Tyson punch him...

But let's just agree to disagree.

Yeah, keep on worshiping Tyson as an unstoppable, mythical beast...

ClutchOver9000
09-04-2012, 02:39 AM
You're trying to force some sort of point here due to your obvious Tyson bias. It becomes clear when a person acts like only 1 side in a fight would do whatever to win a fight. Somehow, the other person would be a perfect gentlemen while the other guy is the only one willing to do whatever in a fight. Rampage grew up fighting on the streets and joined MMA because he'd get paid to fight and wouldn't go to jail for it.

lol. I'm not forcing anything. I stated my points, you've stated yours. Did I not just say lets agree to disagree?

Well, a boxer with a clear, significant advantage in size, strength and punching power should easily beat a much smaller guy, right? Well, here's a fight where the boxer outweighs the other guy by about 70lbs: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TOSEw5C_nVM

Point irrelevant. Not only is prime Tyson a much harder hitter than 'Page, he's much more skilled in using his fists, a style Rampage likes to use very much.

That's not what I was trying to say. When I said, "actually knows how to fight", I was talking about the difference between fighting someone who doesn't know how to and someone who does. Punching power alone won't get the job done. Just look at the above fight. He beat Botha faster than Tyson did.

When did I say Tyson would win on punching power alone? I thought it was common knowledge that dude was a world class boxer. I think superior standup skill has something to do with that.

I gave you a direct quote from Rampage, but with your bias you think Rampage will just stand there and let Tyson punch him...

Clearly that's what I said. :rolleyes:

Yeah, keep on worshiping Tyson as an unstoppable, mythical beast...

:lol yes because me thinking Tyson takes this theoretical matchup makes me a worshipper. Whatever helps you feel better about your argument I suppose.

Jackass18
09-04-2012, 02:59 AM
I don't need anything to make me feel better about the argument. I'm not the one who is clearly biased. You're trying to act like it's prime Tyson vs. an over-the-hill, lazy, only wants to stand and throw punches, near the end of his career Rampage. Your own words are what make me call you a Tyson worshiper. It's pretty clear cut fanboyism. You ignore everything that would be against him and you try to stack every single thing in his favor and you even ignored a direct quote from Rampage when asked about the exact fight. If you're not even going to pretend to be reasonable, then what am I supposed to think? But yeah, let's agree to disagree because you don't want that unstoppable monster image to be shattered. Mike Tyson, the perfect fighter that would easily destroy every man on the planet.

plowking
09-04-2012, 03:06 AM
LOL at people using two fights of boxers vs MMA guys as example. Great comparison seeing as both those MMA fighters are notorious for having a great ground game and loving to take the fight to the ground. Rampage, not so much, so the comparison is as void as they come.

plowking
09-04-2012, 03:08 AM
Mike Tyson, the perfect fighter that would easily destroy every man on the planet.

He wouldn't, but he'd shit on Rampage.

ClutchOver9000
09-04-2012, 03:24 AM
I don't need anything to make me feel better about the argument. I'm not the one who is clearly biased. You're trying to act like it's prime Tyson vs. an over-the-hill, lazy, only wants to stand and throw punches, near the end of his career Rampage. Your own words are what make me call you a Tyson worshiper. It's pretty clear cut fanboyism. You ignore everything that would be against him and you try to stack every single thing in his favor and you even ignored a direct quote from Rampage when asked about the exact fight. If you're not even going to pretend to be reasonable, then what am I supposed to think? But yeah, let's agree to disagree because you don't want that unstoppable monster image to be shattered. Mike Tyson, the perfect fighter that would easily destroy every man on the planet.

lol when all else fails, rant about how the poster is just a biased fanboy.

At least you're consistent.

BTW I love how you keep insinuating that I think prime Tyson would be an unbeatable unstoppable juggernaut because I'd pick him to beat prime Rampage. :lol Relax bro, its not that serious.

Cheers. :cheers:

po3try
09-04-2012, 03:48 AM
Mike Tyson would annihilate this chump, even with all MMA rules because Rampage is one extremly one dimensional MMA fighter, all he does is box and in that area he is weak compared to Mike.

po3try
09-04-2012, 03:51 AM
Rampage is actually pretty good wrestler, but I doubt he'd be able to take Tyson down in a street fight. Prime Iron Mike was just too explosive, one good punch and and Rampage is a goner...

This.

nathanjizzle
09-04-2012, 11:49 AM
tyson no question. you cant graple someone if they have infinite room to menuver out of your grasp, the streets aint a cage.

imdaman99
09-04-2012, 01:11 PM
there is a reason all it took was 1 punch by tyson to knock you out in punch out :lol

cuz iron mike was unbeatable in his prime :bowdown:

Jackass18
09-05-2012, 11:46 PM
lol when all else fails, rant about how the poster is just a biased fanboy.

At least you're consistent.

BTW I love how you keep insinuating that I think prime Tyson would be an unbeatable unstoppable juggernaut because I'd pick him to beat prime Rampage. :lol Relax bro, its not that serious.

Cheers. :cheers:

It obviously shut you up because you can't do anything but mindlessly ramble. That's the problem with discussing anything about Mike Tyson. Too much fanboyism. No thought put into anything defending him, just "I love Mike Tyson so he'd win every fight!!!"

Edwin
09-06-2012, 12:02 AM
tyson would maul rampage in a street fight. tyson comes from a clear boxing background. rampage comes from an mma background on wrestling. if this were a street fight, they'd most likely be throwing punches and tyson has the advantage there.

rhythmic
09-06-2012, 12:17 AM
Rampage.

Hands of Iron
09-06-2012, 12:26 AM
It obviously shut you up because you can't do anything but mindlessly ramble. That's the problem with discussing anything about Mike Tyson. Too much fanboyism. No thought put into anything defending him, just "I love Mike Tyson so he'd win every fight!!!"

Tyson's prime didn't last long, but it's made up for with his activity level. Prior to his incarceration, he compiled a 41-1-0 (36 KOs) record over the course of just seven years. You can cite the lack of greats all day long, but the blame certainly doesn't fall on Tyson, who was fighting the best opposition available to him. Need proof? Here's the rating of several fighters he fought during his prime at the time he fought them, not including himself obviously: Trevor Berbick (31-4, #1), Bonecrusher Smith (19-5, #1), Pinklon Thomas (29-1, #1), Tony Tucker (34-0, #1), Tyrell Biggs (15-0, #8 ), Michael Spinks (31-0, Lineal claimant), Carl Williams (22-2, #2), James Douglas (29-4, #7), Razor Ruddock x2 (25-1, #1). He also took care of Frank Bruno (32-2) as a mandatory, who had been and would again be a top-rated heavyweight and future titlist, beat the hell out of Tubbs (24-1) inside two for a large payday in Tokyo, who'd give prime Riddick Bowe all sorts of a fight long afterwards; Alex Stewart (26-1) inside of a round, whom was never on the canvas against Holyfield (and would go the distance with in a second fight) and lost a close decision to Foreman afterwards.

People continually bring up Spinks the LHW and Holmes the washed up ATG and refuse to acknowledge a few key points here. Spinks beat an undefeated Larry Holmes at Heavyweight convincingly the first go-round, who while no longer prime, was again: undefeated. He's not exactly John Ruiz, folks. Second, it was at the time an absolute public demand that Tyson fight Spinks and The RING had recognized him as the Top Heavyweight until Tyson beat him. A good number of people in and around boxing actually gave him a fair chance to win the damn fight. To see his performance ravaged by revisionist historians is pretty dispicable.

As far as Holmes, there is quite a lot made about his 21-month lay off between Spinks II and Tyson. He didn't willingly retire so much as he was basically forced into it, partly by his own hand with the comments he made. There's little doubt he won and was screwed out of the Spinks re-match and it left a bitter taste in his mouth. Perhaps the case for it being a worthless win would have credibility if Holmes hadn't decided to come back four years later at 42 and put a schooling on Ray Mercer to EARN himself a title shot against Holyfield, whom he won several rounds against and went the distance with, ditto for Oliver McCall at the age of 44. Nobody stopped or KO'ed Larry Holmes before or after, much less within four rounds.

Don't think there's ever been a 215-220 lb fighter more coordinated or who moved so fluidly. He was not up against men of much more similar physical dimensions as the lower weights and he was never going to be able to put on back-foot boxing clinics against world-rated heavyweights. That's only a recipe for defeat and runs the risk of possibly getting himself KTFO in that division. He was cursed to be a come-forward, aggressive natured fighter. It was obviously not a philosophy of his to use his face as a mode of defense and he often effectively jabbed his way in, slipped and countered shots to near perfection, used a variety of angles and planes of movement to create openings, simultaneously able to shuffle his feet quickly into position to gain full leverage on his combinations to the body and head. His defense I do believe was slightly overstated, if energy wasting and used as a tool to get himself into his mid-range sweet spot but it's hard to argue it's effectiveness up through his first 35-37 fights over which he cleaned out most of the division. I think Mike's aggressive style, work rate, effective defense, good chin and lightning quick hands make him just as adept to taking wide points decisions as the next guy and it happened on a few ocassions. He was the P4P #1 fighter in his time for a reason.

AlphaWolf24
09-06-2012, 12:26 AM
tyson would maul rampage in a street fight. tyson comes from a clear boxing background. rampage comes from an mma background on wrestling. if this were a street fight, they'd most likely be throwing punches and tyson has the advantage there.

:facepalm

For ****s sake??

- has MMA not taught us anything the past 15+ years...

- The fighter that trains and knows how to fight in all areas will have a much superior advantage...

- Of course Mike Tyson was a better boxer....But Rampage is a better fighter in more areas...

In a fight on a "street" or anywhere else you most likely will start standing up....but if Mike Tyson throws a left hook and doesn't KO Rampage.....then Rampage easily takes him down and gets in a solid top position and R@pes Tyson...knowing what your doing on top/bottom will negate someone trying eye gouge or bite.

if someones trying to bite you while you have mount...you could elbow until the cows come home

- in a situation like that you gonna do what you know best...Rampage absolutely knows how to clinch / dirty box and get a take down...

all Tyson has is a prayer of hitting page on the first strike...after that Page by anything he wants.

- Boxing is one small aspect of fighting (throwing punches)....Page has trained and is better at "fighting" then Tyson...

- since both are similar in size..Page has an extreme advantage.

- someone mentioned Toney vs Couture......Randy got mount very easily...Page could easily do the same...and Page is much more dangerous on top.

and to the idiots who say Page doesn't like Takedowns.....he was a top shelf wrestler in highschool...but he's not a great submission fighter....he has said many times he likes to fight MMA and try to KO his opponent on his feet to put on a good show.....

but I bet in a real fight (especially against a great boxer) he wouldn't be worried about a show...only surviving.

ClutchOver9000
09-06-2012, 12:35 AM

you shut me up? :lol W/e bro.

Yes me telling you to relax and that its not a crime for me to back Tyson in a theoretical fight w/ Rampage (keyword = theoretical) equals me mindlessly rambling.

And yes me telling you that I believe Tyson would win based on his superior skill/explosiveness in punching, and power in said punches especially against an opponent who despite his ability in taking the fight to the ground, has the mindset to slug it out equals me putting no thought into defending him.

And according to you I've apparently stated that I love Tyson and that nobody could beat him. Apparently, siding against Rampage = I think Tyson is unbeatable.

Dude you're a trip. Sit back, and reassess how you've been responding. You sound like your username. An awfully butthurt one at that.

AlphaWolf24
09-06-2012, 12:53 AM
you shut me up? :lol W/e bro.

Yes me telling you to relax and that its not a crime for me to back Tyson in a theoretical fight w/ Rampage (keyword = theoretical) equals me mindlessly rambling.

And yes me telling you that I believe Tyson would win based on his superior skill/explosiveness in punching, and power in said punches especially against an opponent who despite his ability in taking the fight to the ground, has the mindset to slug it out equals me putting no thought into defending him.

And according to you I've apparently stated that I love Tyson and that nobody could beat him. Apparently, siding against Rampage = I think Tyson is unbeatable.

Dude you're a trip. Sit back, and reassess how you've been responding. You sound like your username. An awfully butthurt one at that.

- If Rampage looked and saw Tyson trying to uppercut him....I guarantee you he would not "try to slug it out"

- Page would http://gif.mocksession.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/02/RAMPAGE-SLAM-BADER.gif

http://cdn3.sbnation.com/imported_assets/814314/vimut3_jpg.gif

http://i40.tinypic.com/4hsdxv.jpg

oh that's right...all he likes to do is brawl:rolleyes:

ClutchOver9000
09-06-2012, 01:28 AM
^^ Ok.

eliteballer
09-06-2012, 01:49 AM
Tyson, his skills would translate better to a street fight, and I think he's on a completely different level as a fighter.

Edwin
09-06-2012, 08:51 AM
rampage doesn't use takedowns anymore or offensive wrestling anymore. he mainly relies on keeping the fight standing. that's why i said that about rampage.

sure that bader slam is recent, but that's the only time i think he went for a takedown in his ufc run.

of course anyone who's rampage's ufc fights would know this.

Rysio
09-06-2012, 09:01 AM
rampage would be too scared to even fight tyson.

DaHeezy
09-06-2012, 10:45 AM
rampage doesn't use takedowns anymore or offensive wrestling anymore. he mainly relies on keeping the fight standing. that's why i said that about rampage.

sure that bader slam is recent, but that's the only time i think he went for a takedown in his ufc run.

of course anyone who's rampage's ufc fights would know this.

The OP said primes. That's like saying Tyson has no heart anymore, he'll revert to earbiting.

DaHeezy
09-06-2012, 10:47 AM
Tyson, his skills would translate better to a street fight, and I think he's on a completely different level as a fighter.

How does a fighter who's one dimensional translate better into a street fight compared to somebody who's trained on all aspects of fighting?

Edwin
09-06-2012, 12:37 PM
The OP said primes. That's like saying Tyson has no heart anymore, he'll revert to earbiting.
missed that part, my bad.