PDA

View Full Version : Royce White - Social Anxiety disorder (video)

millwad
09-07-2012, 06:08 PM
http://www.sportsgrid.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/09/royce-white.jpg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BRUS6QBiViQ&feature=player_embedded

http://www.sportsgrid.com/ncaa-basketball/royce-white-draft-night-video/

fsvr54
09-07-2012, 06:13 PM
disorder*

millwad
09-07-2012, 06:14 PM
disorder*

I'm swedish.

Deuce Bigalow
09-07-2012, 06:21 PM
I'm swedish.
http://images.hitfix.com/photos/948321/hell-on-wheels-the-swede_gallery_primary.JPG

millwad
09-07-2012, 06:26 PM
http://images.hitfix.com/photos/948321/hell-on-wheels-the-swede_gallery_primary.JPG

http://files.myopera.com/Beautiful_girl/albums/856544/2883.jpg

Deuce Bigalow
09-07-2012, 06:27 PM
http://www.karkas-dom.ru/humour/miss/004_miss_09.jpg?__SQUARESPACE_CACHEVERSION=1254678 444754
It's the swede guy on a tv show, I guess you don't know it though.

millwad
09-07-2012, 06:34 PM
It's the swede guy on a tv show, I guess you don't know it though.

I do know about him, I hate him though, not sexy..

theaussieguy
09-07-2012, 08:09 PM
dam that poor mofo, ive had panic attacks induced from smoking weed and i know exactly what he means when hes like "im sorry i can't sit i cant sit". If you sit still you can only feel and hear your heart going wild and then u think your dieing so u need to move around to keep your mind off it.

Cant believe people actually have to deal with this day in day out, brutal stuff.

Pushxx
09-07-2012, 08:47 PM
Wow. I never knew his condition was this serious. Knowing that, there's no way I would want my team to take him in the draft period.

Best of luck to the guy. I hope he gets over his disorder before his disorder gets over him.

Unforgiven
09-07-2012, 09:06 PM
I think it's a credit to him how open he is about his condition. I would imagine he manages it relatively well considering it didn't stop him from getting drafted.

LosBulls
09-07-2012, 09:07 PM
If Royce turns out to be an All Star, Kevin McHale deserves all the praise in the world.

Kobe681
09-07-2012, 10:22 PM
http://www.sportsgrid.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/09/royce-white.jpg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BRUS6QBiViQ&feature=player_embedded

http://www.sportsgrid.com/ncaa-basketball/royce-white-draft-night-video/

Thanks for sharing, that was really insightful.

We sometimes forget that there are other obstacles outside of regular basketball stuff that some of these guys go through. In the end they're all regular imperfect people like you and I.

I think it's a credit to him how open he is about his condition. I would imagine he manages it relatively well considering it didn't stop him from getting drafted.

I definitely agree with you. I'm impressed that he let the cameras follow him around and do a story that's centered on his condition. I dont think most basketball players (shit, even normal people) would be that open about such a personal aspect about themselves.

I hope that Houston gets him to see doctors to help him out. I wish this dude the best and will be following him from here on out.

brantonli
09-07-2012, 10:26 PM
incredibly stupid tiny detail, but when Royce is walking through the airport, why is it a British accented woman talking? lol.

C-Webb4
09-07-2012, 10:32 PM
I can tell you guys, I was diagnosed with general anxiety disorder when I was 18 (i'm 26 now) and it is no joke. I still have bouts every now and then, so this story really hits home for me.

Kobe681
09-07-2012, 10:35 PM
I can tell you guys, I was diagnosed with general anxiety disorder when I was 18 (i'm 26 now) and it is no joke. I still have bouts every now and then, so this story really hits home for me.

What are the main triggers of your anxiety?
What do you do to overcome them?
How long does it normally take to get past a particular "attack"?

steve
09-07-2012, 10:39 PM
I definitely agree with you. I'm impressed that he let the cameras follow him around and do a story that's centered on his condition. I dont think most basketball players (shit, even normal people) would be that open about such a personal aspect about themselves.

Personally, I think this is how he's trying to cope with it. His anxiety issues are never going away but if can sort of view them from almost a third person perspective, it might allow to better focus on and manage them. I've dealt with some anxiety issues over the years and I've always found that it helps to be open about them, so it's easier to take stock of what's bothering me. If I kept things too bottled up is when things get really bad. This seems like what he's trying to do.

C-Webb4
09-07-2012, 10:41 PM
What are the main triggers of your anxiety?
What do you do to overcome them?
How long does it normally take to get past a particular "attack"?
Shoot, when I first got them was at an airport while I was boarding a plane. Sweaty palms, rapid heart beat, feeling of impending doom, choking sensation, tingling limbs, scariest shit of my life. I don't get them as often now and not nearly as bad.. And I know social anxiety is a little different. But anyways, I mainly just use some breathing techniques and some mind tricks that i've learned over the years and it goes away fairly quickly. But i've never been able to completely expel it from my life, and I can't imagine doing what he's doing while having this.

Eric Cartman
09-07-2012, 10:50 PM
His eyes are extremely red.

Edit: After seeing the draft day footage i was moved.

theaussieguy
09-07-2012, 11:09 PM
Shoot, when I first got them was at an airport while I was boarding a plane. Sweaty palms, rapid heart beat, feeling of impending doom, choking sensation, tingling limbs, scariest shit of my life. I don't get them as often now and not nearly as bad.. And I know social anxiety is a little different. But anyways, I mainly just use some breathing techniques and some mind tricks that i've learned over the years and it goes away fairly quickly. But i've never been able to completely expel it from my life, and I can't imagine doing what he's doing while having this.

do u have valium as a backup just in case? sh!t works a charm even tho its brutal stuff to get addicted too, one of the only drugs alongside heroin and booze that can kill u from withdrawerals.

C-Webb4
09-07-2012, 11:12 PM
do u have valium as a backup just in case? sh!t works a charm even tho its brutal stuff to get addicted too, one of the only drugs alongside heroin and booze that can kill u from withdrawerals.
No, that's exactly why i've been scared to take any. Matter of fact, my doctor when she first diagnosed me offered me prescription pills, lexapro, and I took them but I never tried any. All i've taken at all was some xanax from time to time, but not very often. Only in highly stressful situations.

noosaman
09-07-2012, 11:20 PM
Busiprone is great for this

C-Webb4
09-07-2012, 11:25 PM
Personally, I think this is how he's trying to cope with it. His anxiety issues are never going away but if can sort of view them from almost a third person perspective, it might allow to better focus on and manage them. I've dealt with some anxiety issues over the years and I've always found that it helps to be open about them, so it's easier to take stock of what's bothering me. If I kept things too bottled up is when things get really bad. This seems like what he's trying to do.
The amazing part to me (well, the whole story is amazing) but the MOST amazing part to me is the fact that he says (in a different article that I read) that the one place it doesn't affect him is on the basketball court. He said that the bball court is actually his safe zone. Whereas with me, I had to work my way into being able to exercise again without a fear of dying. I used to be someone who lifted a serious amount, and then did sports in between that. I cut out the sports almost altogether, and go much lighter and less when i'm at the gym because it's like a mental barrier where you feel once you reach a certain point if you push any more, you won't be able to handle it. But perhaps it's the meds he's taking that help him to be able to do that.

On a side note, from all the research i've had to do over the years, i've actually read of cases of people who are for the most part cured of this disorder. Not necessarily cured in a sense that they are exactly like they were before it became a serious problem to them. But cured in a sense that for the most part, it doesn't disrupt their day to day lives and the few times that it does, they know how to cope. I feel like i'm personally getting there.

daily
09-08-2012, 12:10 AM
Wish him all the best in his NBA career. hopefully he and the Rockets surround himself/him with an awesome support network. It looks like it's going to be a battle but a winnable one

blacknapalm
09-08-2012, 12:29 AM
used to be the same way as far as anxiety goes. it used to feel like i couldn't breathe when i had to give a public speech or presentation. sweaty palms, nausea, racing heart, etc. in high school, my calc teacher tried to make me feel better during a presentation by saying i have a good projecting voice. i kind of just laughed but it didn't help much. my voice was still pretty shaky and i probably looked like a deer in headlights, breathing all hard and shit. i agree with him and i'm a pretty likeable guy, but it doesn't matter when you get in those situations.

the earliest experiences i had with it is 'popcorn reading'. not sure if anybody used to do that back in elementary school, but it's when you read along as a class. one student starts reading and says 'popcorn!' and then says the name of another student to read. i used to always be nervous for it and when my name was called, i'd read through my paragraph super fast. :oldlol:

your mind tends to flutter towards the worst of scenarios and like royce said, there really isn't anything to be worried or afraid about. not normal butterfly stuff, a little more serious. i mean, i've never had a traumatic experience or anything associated with that type of stuff...it was just something that always had me in a nervous wreck. it's never really that bad after i'm done. i just have to sort of laugh at myself for getting all worked up. you ask yourself, 'why'? and you have no legit answers to be so nervous really. that's the frustrating part. it's just irrational and you know it, but it happens anyway.

i got better with it over the years. group therapy and taking a course in emotional intelligence really helped. i've learned to use breathing exercises to help me but it's still a minor problem i deal with. it only happens in presentations, interviews and sometimes at parties. i'm fine around friends for the most part and i don't have a fear of flying or any irrational fears really.

anyway, big fan of royce's game and i become a bigger fan every time i see/read more about him. definitely gonna be rooting for the dude. :cheers:

Kobe681
09-08-2012, 12:39 AM
The amazing part to me (well, the whole story is amazing) but the MOST amazing part to me is the fact that he says (in a different article that I read) that the one place it doesn't affect him is on the basketball court. He said that the bball court is actually his safe zone. Whereas with me, I had to work my way into being able to exercise again without a fear of dying. I used to be someone who lifted a serious amount, and then did sports in between that. I cut out the sports almost altogether, and go much lighter and less when i'm at the gym because it's like a mental barrier where you feel once you reach a certain point if you push any more, you won't be able to handle it. But perhaps it's the meds he's taking that help him to be able to do that.

On a side note, from all the research i've had to do over the years, i've actually read of cases of people who are for the most part cured of this disorder. Not necessarily cured in a sense that they are exactly like they were before it became a serious problem to them. But cured in a sense that for the most part, it doesn't disrupt their day to day lives and the few times that it does, they know how to cope. I feel like i'm personally getting there.

Oh man, that's actually really awesome to hear. But I wonder if the teams that were passing on him (sounds like because of his condition?) knew this very important detail? It really wouldnt matter much to me as long as its not affecting him anywhere on the court. I had a lot of sympathy for him while watching that video. It felt very real.

BTW, thanks for answering my questions and glad to hear youre working (and getting better) on it. :cheers:

daily
09-08-2012, 12:46 AM

From what I understand and I could be wrong, it's a chemical imbalance and some people out grow it as they move into their 30's.

My sister fought this, got some help kind of eased herself back into life and now she's all over the place, great job, travels, off her meds.

C-Webb4
09-08-2012, 12:58 AM
From what I understand and I could be wrong, it's a chemical imbalance and some people out grow it as they move into their 30's.

My sister fought this, got some help kind of eased herself back into life and now she's all over the place, great job, travels, off her meds.
Awesome man! If you wouldn't mind, could you ask her what she has done to get rid of it and send me a PM or something?

As for my understanding of it, the first doctor I ever saw about it told me the chemical imbalance theory. But recent studies have suggested that they tested out that theory by giving a bunch of patients seratonin pills and other things to balance out that deficiency and it showed that almost none of them actually recovered from that. I was also told about vitamins. D3, high potency vitamin B3 and high potency vitamin C. I took all those things and they helped me a little bit but not even close to eliminating the problem. So a short version of what I've heard to be a successful solution is to actually be able to re-train your subconscious mind not to fear those feelings when they arise in your body, and essentially once you stop fearing those feelings, they cease to exist.

Haymaker
09-08-2012, 01:03 AM
His demeanor reminds me of a young Duncan. I wish him the best in his NBA career as a fellow anxiety sufferer.

C-Webb4
09-08-2012, 01:08 AM
Oh man, that's actually really awesome to hear. But I wonder if the teams that were passing on him (sounds like because of his condition?) knew this very important detail? It really wouldnt matter much to me as long as its not affecting him anywhere on the court. I had a lot of sympathy for him while watching that video. It felt very real.

BTW, thanks for answering my questions and glad to hear youre working (and getting better) on it. :cheers:
Thanks bro. And yeah it's real. As someone who has lived with it and is still living with it, I can say that people don't really understand what it's like. My dad used to tell me to shake it off or my mom would tell me stories of times she felt a little anxious and got over it. But the disorder part of it isn't just a little anxiety, it's when your brain automatically triggers irrational fears even in situations where you know you are perfectly safe. Such as dude going into that gym, amongst close family and friends who he knows all love and support him. But in his mind, coming from his subconscious mind, it's like he's walking into a lions den getting attacked. It's to me one of the toughest disorders out there because it's really all in your mind, and the only way to really cure it is by facing it.

daily
09-08-2012, 01:14 AM
Awesome man! If you wouldn't mind, could you ask her what she has done to get rid of it and send me a PM or something?

As for my understanding of it, the first doctor I ever saw about it told me the chemical imbalance theory. But recent studies have suggested that they tested out that theory by giving a bunch of patients seratonin pills and other things to balance out that deficiency and it showed that almost none of them actually recovered from that. I was also told about vitamins. D3, high potency vitamin B3 and high potency vitamin C. I took all those things and they helped me a little bit but not even close to eliminating the problem. So a short version of what I've heard to be a successful solution is to actually be able to re-train your subconscious mind not to fear those feelings when they arise in your body, and essentially once you stop fearing those feelings, they cease to exist.

I'll ask her right now she's hiding under the kitchen table breathing into a brown paper bag. :lol J/K lol she slapped me.

Actually though she is here visiting, she said once she realized it was just her body doing funny things and she wasn't crazy and she wasn't going to die that lifted a lot of the burden.
Once she accepted the fact the absolute worse thing that would happen was she'd hyperventilate pass out and make a fool of herself that eased the burden even more. She was on Xanax and she still carries a bottle of it with her even though she rarely takes one. more like a teddy bear, she knows it's there if she needed it, it's her own personal crutch. Breathing exercises and pinching your inner thigh really hard helps, hurts like hell but it snapped her out of it at times. She's in her 30's now and still has the occasional hiccup but fight through it and keeps moving forward

You can do it!!! she says

edit the expiration date on her Xanax is two years ago but she still carries it

C-Webb4
09-08-2012, 01:18 AM
cool man, thanks!

daily
09-08-2012, 01:24 AM
cool man, thanks!No problem, that's what we're supposed to do as humans, lol

EnoughSaid
09-08-2012, 01:48 AM
Ever since that game where he singlehandedly carried Iowa State vs. Kentucky, I've been following him and watching him closely. Hopefully this guy makes it far, and becomes one of the best players in the game. To me, he's a more talented Lamar Odom without the consistent jumpshot.

C-Webb4
09-08-2012, 02:00 AM
As crazy as it may sound, I think his journey to the NBA may help him more than it hurts him. Lots of pro athletes actually deal with some forms of anxiety. I think the most common being performance anxiety. And as such it's more and more common nowadays for them to have team psychologists as well as personal psychologists. So not only will he have some of the best, top of the line doctors helping him through it, he will also be able to challenge himself and potentially conquer his fears by facing them head on as he is doing. I'm routing for him, all anxiety talk aside, he's also a beast on the court.

wally_world
09-08-2012, 02:34 AM
Looking forward to Houston running a line up of

Lin
Lamb
White
Jones
Montejunas

would be hella fun to watch

Timmy D for MVP
09-08-2012, 02:43 AM
I had a friend who internalized his panic and it really bit him in the butt because no one knew what was in his mind. So when he had an attack no one knew what was happening.

I like how Royce talks through everything, and he's up front about it with his inner circle.

It is very brave of him to share this to the public like that. And I wish him all the best. He is a fantastic player, and he could go real far.

MetsPackers
09-08-2012, 03:17 AM
When i first read the title and saw the picture i immediately thought that royce got caught on camera blazed out of his mind and was trying to claim a medical issue

However i have reviewed the content and good for him

ukballer
09-08-2012, 03:55 AM
Considering how many flights he'll have to take throughout the season, will it ever get to the point where it just isn't an issue anymore? Is it something he can get over? Or is it something he's going to have to work through every single flight? This is aimed at the guys who have a greater insight into what he's going through. I'm talking purely about just the flying aspect, not his whole condition, I know that's not just going to go away.

C-Webb4
09-08-2012, 04:02 AM
Considering how many flights he'll have to take throughout the season, will it ever get to the point where it just isn't an issue anymore? Is it something he can get over? Or is it something he's going to have to work through every single flight? This is aimed at the guys who have a greater insight into what he's going through. I'm talking purely about just the flying aspect, not his whole condition, I know that's not just going to go away.
Let's just put it this way, what he's doing there is either gonna make him or break him. There's a theory out there called flooding (also called exposure therapy). If you're interested to know about it in more details you can google it. But just as a briefing for the purposes of your question, what that theory is, is that when you have a great fear of doing something. Driving, flying, public speaking, exercising, whatever it is, you actually immerse yourself in that thing fully until your brain reaches a point where it realizes that the thing you are most scared of actually isn't dangerous. That type of thing has actually been documented to have worked with a lot of people. So thats why i'm saying that throwing himself in there and having to fly as much as he has to may either make him or break him. I'm hoping for the former.

blacknapalm
09-08-2012, 04:06 AM

i've already read that he's made strides so far. it's not that he couldn't fly at all and fainted but he just really disliked it. i think he had his grandfather drive him on long road trips between games so he could avoid taking the plane. c-webb is spot on about immersing yourself in it. i think he'll overcome it and it will be something he won't even think about in due time.

Unforgiven
09-08-2012, 05:22 AM
Even within this thread, his story as helped some people give support to others. Wish him the best.

Also from a ball perspective, going to be interesting to see if he 'makes' it. No doubt a big risk.

C-Webb4
09-10-2012, 02:31 AM
Even within this thread, his story as helped some people give support to others. Wish him the best.

Also from a ball perspective, going to be interesting to see if he 'makes' it. No doubt a big risk.
Exactly. And whether or not he makes it in the grind of the NBA is yet to be seen, but even if he doesn't i'm glad he pushed for it. I'm glad for the awareness he has caused because a lot of people are now talking about it and taking it more seriously. I'm glad he didn't accept the doctors who told him that he should choose a different career path. I personally appreciate the people in this thread who have given encouragement and was honestly a little surprised to not have a typical troll response on a real topic like this. :oldlol: :cheers:

Phenith
09-10-2012, 09:02 AM
I didn't follow him in college, did he have any in game issues with anxiety in college?

lilbeastnani
09-10-2012, 10:19 AM
I didn't follow him in college, did he have any in game issues with anxiety in college?
Not too sure about it. I checked on google and found a couple things.
http://www.grantland.com/story/_/id/8096247/on-road-nba-draft-prospect-royce-white

Once, White experienced a panic attack during a summer tournament game. Rene Pulley, his former AAU coach, came down from the stands to sit beside White.

"It probably looked ridiculous, but I was holding his hand just to calm him down," Pulley said. "You could see the potential. One year later, he was one of the best players in the country. That's how fast he enhanced his ability [while coping]."

[QUOTE]He will fly there, of course. That's one of the most overstated elements of White's story. Unless you're George Clooney's character in Up in the Air, chances are that Royce White has been on more flights than you. He's flown to college games. He's flown to workouts. He's flown to Italy and back. And yet, the way he's been described in NBA circles, you'd think White has to be administered a horse tranquilizer just to step on a tarmac.

"It's not like I'm really nervous about getting on the plane," he says. "When I get on the plane, I'm a little uncomfortable. But I'm not panicking on the plane. It's preparing to fly