PDA

View Full Version : #26 NBA Player Of All-Time According to InsideHoops

Deuce Bigalow
09-08-2012, 04:44 AM
Isiah Thomas was voted the #25 NBA Player Of All-Time According to InsideHoops.

19.2 PPG | 3.6 RPG | 9.3 APG

Deuce Bigalow
09-08-2012, 04:45 AM
The Top 25 is complete. Here are the results of #11-25.

#11 NBA Player Of All-Time
37- Lebron James
16- Jerry West
11- Oscar Robertson
2- Isiah Thomas
1- David Robinson
1- Charles Barkley
1- Elgin Baylor

#12 NBA Player Of All-Time
16- Moses Malone
14- Jerry West
10- Oscar Robertson
2- Isiah Thomas
1- Julius Erving
1- Karl Malone
1- Dwyane Wade
1- Charles Barkley

#13 NBA Player Of All-Time
23- Oscar Robertson
19- Jerry West
5- Julius Erving
3- Isiah Thomas
1- Elgin Baylor
1- George Mikan
1- Kevin Garnett
1- Charles Barkley

#14 NBA Player Of All-Time
26- Jerry West
3- Julius Erving
1- Charles Barkley
1- Isiah Thomas

#15 NBA Player Of All-Time
22- Julius Erving
4- Charles Barkley
4- Kevin Garnett
4- George Mikan
3- Elgin Baylor
2- Isiah Thomas
1- Karl Malone
1- David Robinson
1- Dirk Nowitzki

#16 NBA Player Of All-Time
15- Kevin Garnett
13- Karl Malone
8- Charles Barkley
7- Elgin Baylor
5- Dirk Nowitzki
5- Isiah Thomas
2- David Robinson
2- George Mikan
2- Scottie Pippen
1- John Havlicek
1- Bob Pettit

#17 NBA Player Of All-Time
12- Karl Malone
10- Charles Barkley
9- Elgin Baylor
7- Dirk Nowitzki
6- Isiah Thomas
2- Scottie Pippen
1- David Robinson
1- Rick Barry
1- John Havlicek

#18 NBA Player Of All-Time
11- Charles Barkley
10- Elgin Baylor
4- Bob Pettit
4- Isiah Thomas
2- George Mikan
2- Dirk Nowitzki
1- David Robinson
1- Scottie Pippen
1- John Havlicek

#19 NBA Player Of All-Time
12- Elgin Baylor
5- Dirk Nowtzki
3- Bob Pettit
2- Isiah Thomas
2- David Robinson
1- George Mikan
1- Dwyane Wade
1- John Havlicek
1- Scottie Pippen

#20 NBA Player Of All-Time
12- Bob Pettit
11- Dirk Nowitzki
8- John Havlicek
5- David Robinson
5- Isiah Thomas
2- George Mikan
1- Scottie pippen
1- Rick Barry

#21 NBA Player Of All-Time
13- John Havlicek
7- Isiah Thomas
6- Dirk Nowitzki
6- David Robinson
4- George Mikan
1- Dwyane Wade
1- Rick Barry
1- Scottie Pippen

#22 NBA Player Of All-Time
18- Dirk Nowitzki
10- George Mikan
7- Isiah Thomas
4- David Robinson
1- Bob Cousy
1- Scottie Pippen
1- Sam Jones
1- Pete Maravich

#23 NBA Player Of All-Time
15- George Mikan
12- Isiah Thomas
7- David Robinson
1- Scottie Pippen
1- Dwyane Wade

#24 NBA Player Of All-Time
13- David Robinson
12- Isiah Thomas
4- Bob Cousy
4- Rick Barry
4- Dwyane Wade
1- Elvin Hayes
1- Scottie Pippen

#25 NBA Player Of All-Time
15- Isiah Thomas
7- Scottie Pippen
5- Dwyane Wade
2- Bob Cousy
2- Rick Barry
1- Dave Cowens

Results of the Top 10 (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/showpost.php?p=7720190&postcount=2)

fpliii
09-08-2012, 04:52 AM
not sure who I'm voting for yet, but order aside it looks like the top 30 will match my own

leaning Cousy, but he, Wade, and Pip are all top 25 guys in my book so the voters can't really go wrong

MiamiThrice
09-08-2012, 04:54 AM
http://i2.listal.com/image/2526927/600full-dwayne-wade.jpg

BoutPractice
09-08-2012, 05:30 AM
Wade, once again. Great resume, greak peak, great consistency through 9 years. His only problem has been injuries.

Round Mound
09-08-2012, 05:33 AM
Stockton :confusedshrug:

Deuce Bigalow
09-08-2012, 05:35 AM
Hard to chose someone right now. But what do you guys think of Dwyane Wade? Do you think that 2006 was legit? It seems to me that if everyone thought that 06 was legit Wade would easily be top 25. One of the greatest playoffs runs of all-time, one of the greatest finals performance of all-time, finals MVP, and now 2 Championships, his peak was great as well. But it looks like people just don't count it (06). I'm not saying the refs did it or not, just assuming what many people outside of Miami think.

magnax1
09-08-2012, 05:53 AM
Hard to chose someone right now. But what do you guys think of Dwyane Wade? Do you think that 2006 was legit? It seems to me that if everyone thought that 06 was legit Wade would easily be top 25. One of the greatest playoffs runs of all-time, one of the greatest finals performance of all-time, finals MVP, and now 2 Championships, his peak was great as well. But it looks like people just don't count it (06). I'm not saying the refs did it or not, just assuming what many people outside of Miami think.
I don't think I've ever seen a good case for Miami being helped much in the 06 series. I've seen lots of bad angles on fouls that were clearly fouls, and I've seen some questionable calls, but nothing that pointed towards the heat being given some sort of edge constantly. What happened in the 06 finals was pretty simple really. First off, the Mavericks probably gave an aging Shaq too much defensive attention for a second option, even as it became clear he wasn't going to be the one swinging the series (A couple Mavs players even said at one point that Alonzo was making more of an impact when he came in then Shaq did and I wouldn't wholly disagree), and then secondly the Mavs just weren't a great defensive team. Not awful by any means, but they really had no defensive perimeter talent. Wade blew by everyone they put on him once he finally put his mind into scoring every time down the court in game 3.
Also, I just think the Heat were plainly better. They won 52 games despite having some injury problems, and they had 8 guys who were capable of making an impact, two of whom were all stars.
Then on top of that Dirk didn't really show up, which really isn't brought up that often. He played a pretty awful series, which I think is just something that's going to happen to shooters from time to time. I feel that guys who rely on range shooting primarily won't be as consistent as guys who get inside, and Dirk has been a pretty good example of that.
So, I don't think there is anything to argue about in terms of the legitimacy of the championship. In fact, there is more to argue about with Wade in terms of what sort of wins his team could have put up without injuries in 05 and 07. The 07 team put up a respectable win loss ratio despite not having Shaq and Wade half the season, (and that season was a particularly weak one in the east which they could have taken advantage of) and Wade being out in the 05 ECF might very well have been the determining factor of that series, if not the championship.

WillC
09-08-2012, 06:58 AM
Bob Cousy.

This is getting ridiculous.

WillC
09-08-2012, 07:03 AM
The case for Cousy:

- 6 x NBA champion
- 10 x All-NBA 1st Team
- 1 x MVP
- 13 x All-Star
- 2 x All-Star MVP
- Led NBA in assists for 8 consecutive seasons

How he wasn't voted into the top 25 is beyond me. He was the most famous and impressive basketball player of the 1950s and, other than perhaps Magic Johnson, has the best resume of any point guard in NBA history.

kurple
09-08-2012, 07:39 AM
Pippen

pauk
09-08-2012, 08:22 AM
feels very wrong to not have bob cousy here, my vote is cousy.

nycelt84
09-08-2012, 08:23 AM
Bob Cousy

pauk
09-08-2012, 08:24 AM
The case for Cousy:

- 6 x NBA champion
- 10 x All-NBA 1st Team
- 1 x MVP
- 13 x All-Star
- 2 x All-Star MVP

How he wasn't voted into the top 25 is beyond me. He was the most famous and impressive basketball player of the 1950s and, other than perhaps Magic Johnson, has the best resume of any point guard in NBA history.

that is even top 15 worthy, not to mention he was the man in at least 2 of those championship runs, hypothetically had at least 2 fmvps

arifgokcen
09-08-2012, 08:33 AM
I am still trying to understand why wade is not even in discussion.He is seriously underrated.Even though he had some injuries,his peak was better than most top 11-25 guys.His finals performance is probably top 5.He is 2 time nba champion.

Wade

christian1923
09-08-2012, 08:42 AM
Ewing

Kblaze8855
09-08-2012, 08:47 AM
The case for Cousy:

- 6 x NBA champion
- 10 x All-NBA 1st Team
- 1 x MVP
- 13 x All-Star
- 2 x All-Star MVP

He has a better resume than Magic id say. 2 less MVPs but 1 more ring, 1 more all nba first team, more all star games, led the league in assists 4 more time than Magic and relative to his era was probably more beloved and maybe...just about as well rounded. Believe it or not...bob Cousy actually played center just like Magic did. At his size...he was put at center more than once. Dont ask my how it worked out...I didnt see the game. But I read the recap and read Red saying he did it now and then for mismatch purposes.

That said....

If his resume were the issue he would be top 10. But it isnt. And to me there is one very good reason for that....

He had a team with 3 all nba first teamers on it and didnt even make the finals before Russell much less win. He wins Bills rookie season powered by the frontcourt(Bill and Heinson went off...Cousy and sharman combined to go 5-40 in game 7)...loses when Bill is hurt in the finals(cousy going 5-15, 5-17, and 4 of 15 in 3 of the games Bill was injured in no doubt didnt help...considering 2 of the 3 were one shot losses and the other was a 3 point loss). never loses again with Bill playing....by the end hes openly wondering in the press if he should even be starting over KC Jones. He had gone like 5-35 over a stretch and thought he was hurting the team being a started just because of his name....

So he retires. Russell ranks the first season without him as the teams best...and the greatest team of all time. Why? because they played the best defense. He mentioned that Cousys style was not going to help them win so he changed his defense for the express purpose of letting Cousy off the hook for letting his man by him so often...and they set up a deal where Bill blocks the shots and gets cousy the ball on the break as quickly as possible so he can run and do his flashy thing. Cousy himself said he was a capable but not always willing defender.

That...kinda sickens me. A guy whos greatest legacy will always be being a winner on those teams....got drug into respectable basketball by Bill Russell. And admits he didnt even want to play defense.

His resume is what it is because of Bill Russell. And them winning 5 rings without him should make that painfully clear. I dont know how his legacy really stacks up to a guy like even....Dolph Schayes or Pitchin Paul considering that.

These guys were warriors. Dolph was out there playing in the finals with a gotdamn cast on his broken arm. Dude was top 5 or so in asssits, led the league in rebounds I believe, dropped 50 on Bill Russell, led his team to a tlte(before Russell arrived), I think...didnt miss a game for like 10 years.....retired the all time leading rebounder and scorer. He was a 25/14 player in his prime. Could do it all. Ive heard Wilt praise his toughness, rebounding, shooting(he shot 90+ percent from the line several times), and defense(ive read that when his arm was broken he would pretty much just hit guys with the cast as a weapon...which I kinda like).

Plenty of guys like him. Arizin is out there dropping 30ppg to lead his team to a title and not shooting 32% on the way as cousy did some years they won.

But he will never be remembered by history because he wsnt lucky enough to be gifted Bill Russell and win 6 of his 11 rings.

You can call it unfair to knock Cousy for the greatness of his teammate...it might be unfair. But its sure as hell not fair to the guys who managed to get it done without a guy who oozed victory next to them that cousy gets all this love for shit he clearly wasnt the driving force behind.

Plenty of sidekicks are lucky to have their #1...sure. how many can say the guy won 5 rings without them at all?

Some find it disrespectful of Cousy to say. I find it disrespectful of the other guys who worked just as hard and dont even get mentioned despite doing what Cousy never could. Winning without Bill Russell.

And cousy flat out saying hes a capable but not always willing defender disrespects the game more to me than me pointing out that he said it and that bill russell covered for him and made him the winner hes remembered as.

Give me Stockton, Barry, Wade, willis Reed, Cowens, and a hell of a lot of others over Cousy. They didnt win like him. But he didnt win like him on teams that needed him to do it.

And its time more people would just be real about it.

No disrespect to anyone. Im paying more respect....to the people who worked all their lives to be great and dont get remembered like Bob because they played fundamental ball and didnt get Bill Russell to bail them out.

Id vote Paul Arizin in before Bob. Wanna give someone pioneer credit...he and Joe Fulks pretty much invented the pullup jumper. But since he didnt get the greatest winner ever....and since he joined the Marines in his prime during the Korean war...he cant have Cousys legacy. But he did lead his team to the title.

More than we can say for Cousy. Though im sure plenty of people at the time wanted to credit Cousy anyway. Im told it was tough for a guy like Russell to get love in the 50s. Not cousy though. wonder why that could be......

dunksby
09-08-2012, 09:15 AM
John Stockton.

KOBE143
09-08-2012, 09:39 AM
Pippen

JMT
09-08-2012, 10:37 AM
Rick Barry

LosBulls
09-08-2012, 11:18 AM
Allen Iverson

Ne 1
09-08-2012, 11:36 AM
Pippen.

Alan Ogg
09-08-2012, 11:41 AM
Still don't think All Star MVPs carry enough weight to even be thrown into discussions.

v1ncelis
09-08-2012, 11:43 AM
The Answer

IGotACoolStory
09-08-2012, 12:00 PM
When ESPN ranked PGs a while back (like 05 or 06), I believe they had Stockton ranked just ahead of Cousy. Year doesn't matter since they both retired by then.

But I will vote Cousy just so people will stop bitching. He should be in the next 3 anyway.

Young X
09-08-2012, 12:10 PM
Wade

Heilige
09-08-2012, 12:11 PM
Bob Cousy

Heavincent
09-08-2012, 12:19 PM
Pippen

wally_world
09-08-2012, 12:36 PM
Steve MP3 Nash

LongLiveTheKing
09-08-2012, 12:38 PM
Dwade.

EnoughSaid
09-08-2012, 12:43 PM
LESSSGO! D Wade. :rockon:

INDI
09-08-2012, 12:45 PM
Bob Cousy

redhonda76
09-08-2012, 12:47 PM
Ewing

Da_Realist
09-08-2012, 12:57 PM
He has a better resume than Magic id say. 2 less MVPs but 1 more ring, 1 more all nba first team, more all star games, led the league in assists 4 more time than Magic and relative to his era was probably more beloved and maybe...just about as well rounded. Believe it or not...bob Cousy actually played center just like Magic did. At his size...he was put at center more than once. Dont ask my how it worked out...I didnt see the game. But I read the recap and read Red saying he did it now and then for mismatch purposes.

That said....

If his resume were the issue he would be top 10. But it isnt. And to me there is one very good reason for that....

He had a team with 3 all nba first teamers on it and didnt even make the finals before Russell much less win. He wins Bills rookie season powered by the frontcourt(Bill and Heinson went off...Cousy and sharman combined to go 5-40 in game 7)...loses when Bill is hurt in the finals(cousy going 5-15, 5-17, and 4 of 15 in 3 of the games Bill was injured in no doubt didnt help...considering 2 of the 3 were one shot losses and the other was a 3 point loss). never loses again with Bill playing....by the end hes openly wondering in the press if he should even be starting over KC Jones. He had gone like 5-35 over a stretch and thought he was hurting the team being a started just because of his name....

So he retires. Russell ranks the first season without him as the teams best...and the greatest team of all time. Why? because they played the best defense. He mentioned that Cousys style was not going to help them win so he changed his defense for the express purpose of letting Cousy off the hook for letting his man by him so often...and they set up a deal where Bill blocks the shots and gets cousy the ball on the break as quickly as possible so he can run and do his flashy thing. Cousy himself said he was a capable but not always willing defender.

That...kinda sickens me. A guy whos greatest legacy will always be being a winner on those teams....got drug into respectable basketball by Bill Russell. And admits he didnt even want to play defense.

His resume is what it is because of Bill Russell. And them winning 5 rings without him should make that painfully clear. I dont know how his legacy really stacks up to a guy like even....Dolph Schayes or Pitchin Paul considering that.

These guys were warriors. Dolph was out there playing in the finals with a gotdamn cast on his broken arm. Dude was top 5 or so in asssits, led the league in rebounds I believe, dropped 50 on Bill Russell, led his team to a tlte(before Russell arrived), I think...didnt miss a game for like 10 years.....retired the all time leading rebounder and scorer. He was a 25/14 player in his prime. Could do it all. Ive heard Wilt praise his toughness, rebounding, shooting(he shot 90+ percent from the line several times), and defense(ive read that when his arm was broken he would pretty much just hit guys with the cast as a weapon...which I kinda like).

Plenty of guys like him. Arizin is out there dropping 30ppg to lead his team to a title and not shooting 32% on the way as cousy did some years they won.

But he will never be remembered by history because he wsnt lucky enough to be gifted Bill Russell and win 6 of his 11 rings.

You can call it unfair to knock Cousy for the greatness of his teammate...it might be unfair. But its sure as hell not fair to the guys who managed to get it done without a guy who oozed victory next to them that cousy gets all this love for shit he clearly wasnt the driving force behind.

Plenty of sidekicks are lucky to have their #1...sure. how many can say the guy won 5 rings without them at all?

Some find it disrespectful of Cousy to say. I find it disrespectful of the other guys who worked just as hard and dont even get mentioned despite doing what Cousy never could. Winning without Bill Russell.

And cousy flat out saying hes a capable but not always willing defender disrespects the game more to me than me pointing out that he said it and that bill russell covered for him and made him the winner hes remembered as.

Give me Stockton, Barry, Wade, willis Reed, Cowens, and a hell of a lot of others over Cousy. They didnt win like him. But he didnt win like him on teams that needed him to do it.

No disrespect to anyone. Im paying more respect....to the people who worked all their lives to be great and dont get remembered like Bob because they played fundamental ball and didnt get Bill Russell to bail them out.

Id vote Paul Arizin in before Bob. Wanna give someone pioneer credit...he and Joe Fulks pretty much invented the pullup jumper. But since he didnt get the greatest winner ever....and since he joined the Marines in his prime during the Korean war...he cant have Cousys legacy. But he did lead his team to the title.

More than we can say for Cousy. Though im sure plenty of people at the time wanted to credit Cousy anyway. Im told it was tough for a guy like Russell to get love in the 50s. Not cousy though. wonder why that could be......

Wow. You just ripped his legacy to shreds. I kept picturing Cousy wobbling, barely able to stand and hearing "FINISH HIM!" throughout the post. :oldlol:

fsvr54
09-08-2012, 12:57 PM
rick barry

Amare4lyfe
09-08-2012, 01:03 PM
The warrior Patrick Ewing.

This was Ewing at 34 before he broke his wrist and foot issues. How many players at that age can still perform like that.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ET7tk7RhY8Q

Bigsmoke
09-08-2012, 01:26 PM
Dwyane Wade

Sarcastic
09-08-2012, 01:43 PM
Rick Barry

Eric Cartman
09-08-2012, 01:47 PM
Bob Cousy

colts19
09-08-2012, 01:55 PM
Rick Barry

ScalabrineStan
09-08-2012, 03:02 PM
Pippen.

longhornfan1234
09-08-2012, 03:05 PM
Wade.

Freedom Kid7
09-08-2012, 03:10 PM
Top 25 is really well done actually. I disagree with it moreso than last year, but whatever.

This is between Stockton/Barry/Cousy at this point. I'll vote Cousy. Laid the groundwork for a Point Guard.

L.Kizzle
09-08-2012, 03:11 PM
Damn, Cousy or Barry?

I'll go Mr. Basketball.

Deuce Bigalow
09-08-2012, 04:41 PM

That said....

Not Bob Cousy :oldlol:

MasterDurant24
09-08-2012, 04:49 PM
Cousy

dyna
09-08-2012, 04:51 PM
Rick Barry

Raz
09-08-2012, 04:56 PM
Bob Cousy

Deuce Bigalow
09-08-2012, 04:59 PM
I'll go Rick Barry here

FreezingTsmoove
09-08-2012, 05:36 PM
you guys are ridiculous D Wade is only 30 yrs old. He ain't above Pippen and Cousy yet!

Deuce Bigalow
09-08-2012, 08:19 PM
#26 NBA Player Of All-Time According to InsideHoops Voting

11- Bob Cousy
9- Dwyane Wade
6- Rick Barry
5- Scottie Pippen
4- Patrick Ewing
2- John Stockton
2- Allen Iverson
1- Steve Nash

longtime lurker
09-08-2012, 08:26 PM
Current Results

11- Bob Cousy
7- Dwyane Wade
6- Rick Barry
4- Scottie Pippen
3- Patrick Ewing
2- John Stockton
2- Allen Iverson
1- Steve Nash

Oh my. Dwyane Wade over the likes of Pippen, Barry and John Stockton. Bill Walton is rolling in his grave :roll: :roll:

Deuce Bigalow
09-08-2012, 08:28 PM
Oh my. Dwyane Wade over the likes of Pippen, Barry and John Stockton. Bill Walton is rolling in his grave :roll: :roll:
Bill's still alive, I think I saw him at the HOF ceremony on TV :lol

miles berg
09-08-2012, 08:28 PM
Patrick Ewing

IGOTGAME
09-08-2012, 08:43 PM
Bob Cousy
Why, there are still better players.

SilkkTheShocker
09-08-2012, 08:55 PM
Wade

Heavincent
09-08-2012, 09:14 PM

Yup. Wade being this high on the list would be pretty dumb.

TheMarkMadsen
09-08-2012, 09:37 PM

If Bill Walton ends up dead tonight, you're the # 1 suspect

Kblaze8855
09-08-2012, 09:39 PM
Why, there are still better players.

Not who got to share a career with Bill Russell. Well Sam Jones maybe....

ganja0710
09-08-2012, 09:58 PM
scottie pippen.

Deuce Bigalow
09-08-2012, 09:58 PM
Not who got to share a career with Bill Russell. Well Sam Jones maybe....
Sam Jones did work in big games

Game 7 Performances:
credit to alexandreben for the stats

Sam Jones 27.1 pts 9W-0L(Sam Jones averaged only 17.7pts in regular)

W 1959 EDF Game 7 vs Syracuse: Boston won 130-125, Sam Jones scored 13pts

W 1960 Finals Game 7 vs St Louis Hawks: Boston won title 122-103, Sam scored 18pts

W 1962 EDF Game 7 vs Phila: Boston won 109-107, Sam finished with 28pts with a diciding final 2 seconds clutch shot

W 1962 Finals Game 7 vs Lakers: Boston won 110-107 (OT), Same finished with 27pts

W 1963 EDF Game 7 vs Cincinnati: Boston won 142-131, Sam Jones scored the highest 47pts in the NBA Game 7 history

W 1965 EDF Game 7 vs Phila: Boston won 110-109, Sam scored 37pts led Celtics to victory

W 1966 Finals Game 7 vs Lakers: Boston won title 95-93, Sam finished 22pts

W 1968 EDF Game 7 vs Phila: Boston won 100-96, Sam Jones scored 28pts in this game 7, and he averaged 21.3pts which's the best on the team in regular

W 1969 Finals Game 7 vs Lakers: Boston won title 108-106, Sam Jones scored 24pts(10-16) 7rbs 2ast before fouled out

PJR
09-08-2012, 10:21 PM
Wade.