PDA

View Full Version : Prototypical Player By Position

jlip
09-08-2012, 07:50 PM
By this I mean what player fits your understanding of the most fundamental role that position requires. The player doesn't have to be the greatest at it, but simply does the job "the right way" in your mind. Here is my list:

pg:
Description: I think the point guard's primary objective is to run the offense. Everything else is secondary or even tertiary. He should be a pass 1st and 2nd player with scoring being 3rd on the list. He should not be a scoring liability and should be able to hit shots especially from the perimeter if necessary. Finally he should be, at worst, a solid perimeter defender.
Player: John Stockton

sg:
Description: This player's primary objective is to put the ball in the basket. That's why he's call a "shooting" guard. Scoring is what he does. In order to fit within any offense he should be able to run off screens, catch and shoot, and create his own shot in an isolation situation if necessary. Preferably his perimeter shot should be great.
Player: Ray Allen

sf:
Description: Maybe the small forward's role has greatly evolved over the years, but IMO the sf is the "utility guy" on the floor. He's the jack of all trades and is known for his versatility on both sides of the ball. I prefer him to be my best perimeter defender. If he needs to run the offense for a few possessions he should be able to do that. If I need him to score 20-25 on any given night he should be able to do that also. Finally if the post players need a little help on the boards he should likewise be able to fill in that gap.
Player: Scottie Pippen

pf:
Description: This is the garbage man and the "dirty work" player of the interior. I need him to be able to guard post players effectively and help the center rebound. Offensively, I need him to set great picks and be able to hit an open 15 footer also.
Player: Charles Oakley

c:
Description: While the game has changed over the years, I still prefer my center to be able to dominate the paint. His prioity is to control the backboard and to anchor the team's defense. Perimeter players should feel comfortable funneling their man to him because they know he's going to challenge any thing that comes into the paint. Offensively when the ball is thrown into him he should be able to make the correct play whether it's score himself of pass it to open players (cutters or shooters).
Player: Prime Bill Walton

What are yours?

dbk123
09-08-2012, 07:54 PM
PG: Lebron James
SG: Lebron James
SF: Lebron James
PF: Lebron James
C: Lebron James if he feels like it

IGotACoolStory
09-08-2012, 08:14 PM
PG: Chris Paul
SG: Kobe Bryant
SF: Scottie Pippen
PF: Tim Duncan
C: Alonzo Mourning

Maybe could have chosen better examples... But that's basically the player I want at each position, in terms of skill set and size. Although I would like my point guard to be a couple inches taller.

MisterAmazing
09-08-2012, 08:21 PM
PG: Jason Kidd
SF: probably someone like Shane Battier, who can hit mid and outside shots as well as be a lockdown defender
PF: Karl Malone
C: Shaq

TheMarkMadsen
09-08-2012, 08:26 PM
By this I mean what player fits your understanding of the most fundamental role that position requires. The player doesn't have to be the greatest at it, but simply does the job "the right way" in your mind. Here is my list:

pg:
Description: I think the point guard's primary objective is to run the offense. Everything else is secondary or even tertiary. He should be a pass 1st and 2nd player with scoring being 3rd on the list. He should not be a scoring liability and should be able to hit shots especially from the perimeter if necessary. Finally he should be, at worst, a solid perimeter defender.

sg:
Description: This player's primary objective is to put the ball in the basket. That's why he's call a "shooting" guard. Scoring is what he does. In order to fit within any offense he should be able to run off screens, catch and shoot, and create his own shot in an isolation situation if necessary. Preferably his perimeter shot should be great.

sf:
Description: Maybe the small forward's role has greatly evolved over the years, but IMO the sf is the "utility guy" on the floor. He's the jack of all trades and is known for his versatility on both sides of the ball. I prefer him to be my best perimeter defender. If he needs to run the offense for a few possessions he should be able to do that. If I need him to score 20-25 on any given night he should be able to do that also. Finally if the post players need a little help on the boards he should likewise be able to fill in that gap.

pf:
Description: This is the garbage man and the "dirty work" player of the interior. I need him to be able to guard post players effectively and help the center rebound. Offensively, I need him to set great picks and be able to hit an open 15 footer also.

c:
Description: While the game has changed over the years, I still prefer my center to be able to dominate the paint. His prioity is to control the backboard and to anchor the team's defense. Perimeter players should feel comfortable funneling their man to him because they know he's going to challenge any thing that comes into the paint. Offensively when the ball is thrown into him he should be able to make the correct play whether it's score himself of pass it to open players (cutters or shooters).

What are yours?

great list. Mine would be basically this. A pure pg who cant shoot & pass but is past first, pass second shoot third.

A 2 guard who can shoot the ball from anywhere on the court & is athletic enough to get to the rim & make plays, can also handle the ball well.

A defensive minded small forward who can also handle the ball & can be counted on to get a bucket if need be.

A bruising 4 who will intimidate other players & out muscle most. Great rebounding is a must.

A center who's game lives & dies in the paint, and rebounding.

This is exactly how i build my teams in 2k, works everytime during sim.

ImmortalD24
09-08-2012, 08:31 PM
PG: Steve Nash
PF: Kevin Garnett
C: Tim Duncan

SourPatchKids
09-08-2012, 08:34 PM
http://www.forumsextreme.com/images2/sCh_supersmilie.gif

TheFan
09-08-2012, 08:38 PM
in my opinion:

PG: Rondo.

SG: Ray Allen.

SF: This is hard, almost all SFs todays deviate from the SF original job, which is an athletic player that does a little bit of everything but thrives at nothing... Think the role Pippen played with the Trailblazers and you have and idea of prototypical SF.

PF: David Lee.

C: Andrew Bynum.

miller-time
09-08-2012, 09:12 PM
how is kobe prototypical? it isn't the best player at the position, it is someone that is the closest to a textbook definition of that position. kobe disrupts his own offense once he holds the ball and jacks shots.

lilgodfather1
09-08-2012, 09:16 PM
I would go with

Nash
Ray Allen
Pippen
Duncan
Shaq

Basically for a PG you want a great shooter, passer, and play maker imo. Defense is extra, although appreciated. I was going to go with JKidd, but I value spacing more than the defense, and when JKidd was at his best he wasn't exactly a great shooter.

For a shooting guard you want the guy that can shoot. HM to Reggie Miller.

SF is easily the hardest position to define. A SF isn't someone who is elite at any one thing perse, but great at a lot of things. I think Pippen is the best example of that despite being one of the top defenders of all time. HM to LeBron, but I don't feel he is a prototype because he is an elite scorer, passer, and defender. I consider a prototypical SF to be a jack of all trades, but king of none.

PF this one was hard because I was going to say Barkley, but theoretically if you could build a PF you would want him to be A) tall, and B) good defensively, so then we have Duncan.

C there are so many great C's throughout NBA history that it was hard to choose one, but I went with the one that I saw play most of the greats, which is Shaq.

LeBird
09-08-2012, 09:41 PM
Yeh, good list. What's funny is that many of the GOAT players are those who gave you headache matchups because they weren't purely prototypical. The Birds, the Magics, the Jordans, etc.

TheeBeast
09-08-2012, 10:07 PM
how is kobe prototypical? it isn't the best player at the position, it is someone that is the closest to a textbook definition of that position. kobe disrupts his own offense once he holds the ball and jacks shots.

I agree, Kobe has more than what his position is meant for.

lilgodfather1
09-08-2012, 10:18 PM
I agree, Kobe has more than what his position is meant for.
He is far from a prototype that's for sure. Most SG's don't do more than shoot the ball very well, which Kobe doesn't exactly do very well compared to a player like Ray or Reggie. Kobe i a great player, but not a prototype.

BuGzBuNNy
09-08-2012, 10:19 PM
Shaq is way too rare of a player to make the list, or come close for that matter.

TheeBeast
09-08-2012, 10:29 PM
He is far from a prototype that's for sure. Most SG's don't do more than shoot the ball very well, which Kobe doesn't exactly do very well compared to a player like Ray or Reggie. Kobe i a great player, but not a prototype.

:biggums: Kobe's one of the best shooters in the game today and all time.

As Miller-Time put it, his shot creation disrupts his fg%. If you think he doesn't shoot very well, take a look at his ft%. Just cuz he never played with a pg that could create shots for him, doesn't mean he can't shoot the ball as well as Ray, because he could

TMT
09-08-2012, 10:36 PM

:oldlol: Lebron can't play big for a whole game. He needs the ball in his hands at the top of the key. You couldn't be very successful throwing him the ball in the post all game.

Hate when people say he can play all 5 positions with next to no proof.

jlip
09-08-2012, 10:39 PM
:oldlol: Lebron can't play big for a whole game. He needs the ball in his hands at the top of the key. You couldn't be very successful throwing him the ball in the post all game.

Hate when people say he can play all 5 positions with next to no proof.
That post was obviously a troll post. Please do not get baited into that foolishness and allow this thread to become unnecessarily derailed into a thread about Lebron.

KOBE143
09-08-2012, 10:46 PM
pg - Steve Nash
sg - Kobe Bryant
sf - Metta World Peace
pf - Pau Gasol
c - Dwight Howard

scandisk_
09-08-2012, 10:53 PM
PG: Stockton or CP3
SG: Reggie Miller
SF: either Pip or Deng
PF: Malone
C: The Chief

jlip
09-10-2012, 10:47 PM
Shaq is way too rare of a player to make the list, or come close for that matter.

While Shaq is indeed one of the most dominating players of all time, irrespective of position, I guess he was the textbook definition of a center. He did only a center's job. He just so happen to have done it better than 99% of others.

dyna
09-10-2012, 11:05 PM
PG: John Stockton
SG: Michael Jordan
c: Hakeem Olajuwon

Right Now:

PF: Kevin Love
C: Andrew Bynum

StateOfMind12
09-11-2012, 01:29 AM
PG - John Stockton
SG - Mitch Richmond
SF - Paul Pierce
PF - Karl Malone or Kevin Mchale - doesn't matter
C - Patrick Ewing

TheeBeast
09-11-2012, 01:34 AM

I have a feeling you wouldn't have said that if he were still a Laker

Immaturity, short temper, inconsistency ect is prototypical?

therammingman
09-11-2012, 01:43 AM
penny
jordan
pippen
duncan
hakeem

Suckafree
09-11-2012, 01:44 AM
pg - Steve Nash
sg - Kobe Bryant
sf - Metta World Peace
pf - Pau Gasol
c - Dwight Howard

Kinda fits doesn't it?

My team would go:
PG: Late nets/pre-ship mavs Jason Kidd --> Want my PG to be able to push it on the break aswell as control the tempo when the game slows down. Strong defensively. Must be able to knockdown the open long ball (Which is why I went with older Kidd, Chauncey Billups is a good fit here too)

SG: Rip Hamilton --> Great off the ball, solid defensively, knows when to make the right pass

SF:Andre Iguodala --> Secondary Playmaker/Slasher/Athlete

PF: Karl Malone --> Probably my most reliable scorer. Not most clutch, but most reliable during the middle portions of the game. Can face up, knock down a 16 footer, rebound well, run the break and catch and finish

C:Tyson Chandler --> This man does the dirty work. Has to be great defensively, active, set good screens and communicate clearly with the rest of the guys

Whoah10115
09-16-2012, 04:13 PM
I think the OP's list is easily the best one. I would also shout out Patrick Ewing, Karl Malone, Jason Kidd, Larry Bird, Michael Jordan. And because you can always plug him in, anywhere: Magic Johnson. Bill Russell too, for the intangibles and defensive anchoring.

You can run an offense thru Ewing, and he can anchor your defense. He's an all-time shot-blocker. Jason Kidd is everything you want in a PG, plus athleticism...tho he does have the issue of shooting. Karl Malone is a hard worker, with a post game and jumpshot, able to run the floor better than anyone. He's also a terrific passer and a great combo player, able to work in multiple ways. Larry Bird is as fundamental as you get. He does everything. And he somehow doesn't need to have the ball all the time.

And Jordan is actually pretty ideal. He can get his own shot, is a great jumpshooter, and is actually very good off of screens. It just so happens that he could initiate.

pauk
09-16-2012, 04:57 PM

This could actually work lol

But:

PG - John Stockton
SG - Reggie Miller
SF - Scottie Pippen
PF - Shawn Kemp (im talking about the 20-11-2-2-2 @ 56% FG super behemoth Kemp)
C - Hakeem Olajuwon

KobesFinger
09-16-2012, 05:07 PM
PG: John Stockton
SG: Michael Jordan
c: Hakeem Olajuwon

Right Now:

PF: Kevin Love

Kevin Love isn't a prototypical PF. He is a great rebounder but a typical 4 plays in the post.

clipps
09-16-2012, 05:31 PM
SG: Ray Allen
SF: James Worthy
C: David Robinson

INDI
09-16-2012, 06:14 PM

pg:

sg:

sf:

pf:

c:

What are yours?

Wow yours and mine is similar. Instead of ray I have miller and instead of Walton I have Jabbar.

Stockton
Miller
Pippen
Oakley
Jabbar

My other one would be to give each position one of the 5 main stats

Stockton (assists)

Jordan (points)

Pippen (steals)

Rodman (rebounds)

Mutumbo (blocks)

CAstill
09-16-2012, 06:25 PM
This could actually work lol

But:

PG - John Stockton
SG - Reggie Miller
SF - Scottie Pippen
PF - Shawn Kemp (im talking about the 20-11-2-2-2 @ 56% FG super behemoth Kemp) :applause:
C - Hakeem Olajuwon

No it won't but nice post anyways

Owl
09-16-2012, 07:01 PM
PG:John Stockton (All time assists and steals leader. Pass first, didn't take bad shots). 2nd Choice/alternate: Maurice Cheeks
SG:Bill Sharman (Shooter and scorer, but also didn't just try to outscore his man but defended him as well- so certainly the prototype of what you want, not necessarily typical of what you actually get). 2nd Choice/alternate: Jerry West
PF: Buck Williams: (Rebounder, defender without being a huge shot blocker, hustler, high percentage shooter on middling usage but willing to take less shots). 2nd Choice/alternate: Horace Grant (Considered Lucius "Luke" Jackson but his percentage was too low).

The other two positions are tougher, there being less of a prototype.

Small Forward: Not sure there is a prototype here but I guess all rounders like apex Erving, Pippen, Kirilenko, Grant Hill, Bobby Jones, Shawn Marion if he passed better, possibly Baylor though he might be too good a rebounder.

Center: Too many greats who have played it in so well in so many different ways. But some combination of Mourning, Howard, Gilmore, Thurmond, Ewing, Lanier, Parish. Some of them have characteristics that are atypical, have a bit more range than the typical center. But efficient scorers - score from the post (but maybe not dominating the offense), warriors, dominate the paint, big, muscular, rebounder-blocker.

Money 23
09-16-2012, 07:26 PM
PG - John Stockton
SG - Reggie Miller
SF - Scottie Pippen
PF - Shawn Kemp
C - Patrick Ewing

jlip
03-06-2014, 01:33 PM
Bump

WallIn
03-06-2014, 01:35 PM
Remeber

Prototypical Center is also required to brick free throws

Mass Debator
03-06-2014, 01:47 PM
PG = Stockton
SG = Ray Ray
SF = Worthy
PF = Duncan
C = KAJ

wally_world
03-06-2014, 02:09 PM
PG: Mark Jackson / Kendall Marshall
Pass first, pass second, shoot last. 6'0"-6'2" without much athleticism. High basketball IQ. Decent team defender.

SG: Ray Allen (Boston version)
3pt range, runs off-ball screens, secondary ball handler, terrific off the ball. 6'5"-6'6" with decent athleticism.

SF: Trevor Ariza
Jack of all trades, master of none. Primary wing defender, athletic, 6'7"-6'9". Opportunity scorer with the ability to finish around the basket and knock down open shots.

PF: Serge Ibaka / Horace Grant
High post player with a decent midrange jumper. 6'9"-6'11", probably the most or second most athletic player of the team. Great weakside shot blocker.

C: Hakeem Olajuwon / Tim Duncan
Low post player but able to step out to the elbows or corners. 6'11"-7'1" defensive anchors who rebound the basketball. Makes good decisions on the defensive glass, good outlet passer.

Tried to avoid using superstars because they probably do alot of things very well. Pippen was too much of a scorer for my liking. Stockton was a little too ball dominant. Prime Ray Allen was too good as well.

Prometheus
03-06-2014, 02:19 PM

pg:

sg:

sf:

pf:

c:

What are yours?

:applause:

To be honest, I wouldn't change this one bit.

Well... I could possibly replace Oakley with Malone or Duncan, and I could also stand to replace Walton with someone, but Owl is right that the center position has a lot of margin for variety.

Excellent thread, excellent post.

:cheers:

NumberSix
03-06-2014, 02:26 PM
Jerry West is the prototypical SG

rufuspaul
03-06-2014, 02:52 PM
Nash
MJ
LeBron
Larry Johnson
Shaq

HOoopCityJones
03-06-2014, 02:56 PM
Jerry West is the prototypical SG

Someone that can only drive one way? Ok :lol

ZoPunde
03-06-2014, 03:18 PM
http://media.giphy.com/media/sCPXWE2QvwKGI/giphy.gif

SCdac
03-06-2014, 03:21 PM
PG: Stockton or Payton
SG: Jordan or Miller
SF: Bird or Pippen
PF: Duncan or Malone (pf's should be posting up/facing up/putting the ball on the floor/shooting)
C: Hakeem or Jabbar

Karl Malone - Face-up Game/Jumpshots
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uKedq1udBZ8

Tim Duncan - Post Moves & Scoring comp (shows off that bank shot of his among other shots)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QURRXrYQ9yI

RoundMoundOfReb
03-06-2014, 03:22 PM
I'm a huge Chuck fan but how is he a "prototypical" PF? He was undersized as heck. KG/Duncan are better examples imo.

kshutts1
03-06-2014, 03:36 PM
Since they don't have to be best at their position...

Mario Chalmers -- Defensive guy that can hit open shots and run an offense well. Shouldn't be asked to carry the whole load. Edit: Didn't pick Stockton because my memory of him (which may be wrong) is that he was very ball-dominant. I want a PG that can run the offense and be ball-dominant, but is more of a defender/shooter).

Milwaukee/Seattle Ray Allen -- deadeye shooter that can also create his own shot, or create for others. Defense optional.

Lebron -- Can do everything well (in his case, exceptionally well). Essentially, can play guard of forward, depending on the situation. Can hit from range, but doesn't need to be deadly (even though Lebron kinda is now). Pippen is another player that fits this mold.

KG/Webber/Brand -- Consistent shooter out to about 18-20 feet. Beyond that is unnecessary. Just enough of a jumper to open up the paint. Can bang inside, but shouldn't do that all game. Best playing the high post. Good D both inside and quick feet to do spot duty on the perimeter.

Kareem -- Good back to the basket game. Strong rebounder and interior defender. Doesn't need to be a strong m-2-m defender, but definitely a shot-blocking threat/force.

Coach -- Pop. Someone that instills structure and discipline, yet allows their team to play through stretches, figure it out on their own. Even with the structure, allows some free-wheeling (Manu, Bonner running point, etc).

After reading through everything, I realize I kinda went with the first-three-peat Bulls model. Role player, Star, Star, Role player, stay-near-the-basket.

Im so nba'd out
03-06-2014, 03:55 PM
My Team Would Be
Pg Lebron
Sg Durant
Sf Paul George
Pf Ibaka
C Shaq

10 Str8 Rings