PDA

View Full Version : Wilt averaging 50 points wasn't that impressive after all...

iamgine
09-09-2012, 03:31 PM
Many would see Wilt scoring 50 ppg and either say "wow, he was so great" or "what a weak era that was that he was able to score that high." Actually, neither statement was fully correct.

Wilt's 50 point season...his per 36 minutes ppg was 'only' 37 ppg. Still extremely high right? After all, even MJ's highest per 36 minutes ppg was 33 ppg. Not so fast. Adjust that for modern pace it would be much lower. It would 'only' be around 31 ppg.

But that's still pretty darn high right? I would agree, except by playing 48.5 minuter per game, Wilt would've played in a lot of garbage minutes. So that inflated his ppg and other stats. And If you factor that by playing 48.5 minutes, it means he also played against 60's scrubs A LOT. That also inflated his ppg and other stats.

In the end his 50 PPG translated to modern era would be about 25 ppg, maybe 28 ppg if he's allowed to play 42 minutes per game. Not that extraordinary after all. Nice stamina though...

M.Bustly15A5RU8
09-09-2012, 03:35 PM
And the next best scorer that season didn't come close to that. Those scrubs were just too scrubby to score on each other.

LamarOdom
09-09-2012, 03:36 PM
True:applause:

7_cody
09-09-2012, 03:42 PM
I'd post my opinion, but I know that it'll piss off a lot of people

Context is important. Let's pretend that an 8 foot giant that is as mobile and strong as Shaq joins the league today. He'd probably dominate. Now let's pretend that 20 years later most centers are at least 8 feet tall and that mobile and strong.

I'm not impressed by Wilt's dominance over 6'6" unathletic centers, I'm also not impressed by the method used to score his 100 point game

DatAsh
09-09-2012, 03:44 PM

Context is important. Let's pretend that an 8 foot giant that is as mobile and strong as Shaq joins the league today. He'd probably dominate. Now let's pretend that 20 years later most centers are at least 8 feet tall and that mobile and strong.

I'm not impressed by Wilt's dominance over 6'6" unathletic centers, I'm also not impressed by the method used to score his 100 point game

An 8 foot Shaq in today's game would be far more of an anomaly than 7 foot 1 inch Wilt Chamberlain was in his.

jlip
09-09-2012, 04:04 PM
Seriously...How many times can this thread be done?

coin24
09-09-2012, 04:09 PM
Wilt = javale mcgee:lol

Pointguard
09-09-2012, 04:40 PM
Many would see Wilt scoring 50 ppg and either say "wow, he was so great" or "what a weak era that was that he was able to score that high." Actually, neither statement was fully correct.

Wilt's 50 point season...his per 36 minutes ppg was 'only' 37 ppg. Still extremely high right? After all, even MJ's highest per 36 minutes ppg was 33 ppg. Not so fast. Adjust that for modern pace it would be much lower. It would 'only' be around 31 ppg.

But that's still pretty darn high right? I would agree, except by playing 48.5 minuter per game, Wilt would've played in a lot of garbage minutes. So that inflated his ppg and other stats. And If you factor that by playing 48.5 minutes, it means he also played against 60's scrubs A LOT. That also inflated his ppg and other stats.

In the end his 50 PPG translated to modern era would be about 25 ppg, maybe 28 ppg if he's allowed to play 42 minutes per game. Not that extraordinary after all. Nice stamina though...
Wow, and that means that Russell was averaging negative 7 ppg!!! Jerry West and the Big O right at 5 ppg!!! But not so fast, most of the league would average about about negative 10 ppg. My only guess is that points were much harder to come by in Wilt's time than now. They must have widened the rim and brought it down a foot to help boost the scoring for the modern era.

7_cody
09-09-2012, 04:44 PM
An 8 foot Shaq in today's game would be far more of an anomaly than 7 foot 1 inch Wilt Chamberlain was in his.

Sure, my numbers weren't the best-chosen in order to prove a point, but my point has been proved regardless

Poetry
09-09-2012, 04:45 PM

Just as a sampling, i'll remind you that in Wilt's rookie year, all but two teams had centers below 6'10-7'0.

The Nationals and the Celtics featuring 6'9 Bill Russell.

The Celtics went on to win the title.

Do a little research. It's enlightening.

7_cody
09-09-2012, 04:47 PM
Just as a sampling, i'll remind you that in Wilt's rookie year, all but two teams had centers below 6'10-7'0.

The Nationals and the Celtics featuring 6'9 Bill Russell.

The Celtics went on to win the title.

Do a little research. It's enlightening.

How is saying that most teams had centers BELOW 6'10 NOT supporting what I said?

I acknowledge that what you wrote may have been a typo - of course 6'10 footers and 7 footers existed, but so did the 6'6" centers that Wilt dominated -- do you see any 6'6" centers today? No, there's a reason why

jlip
09-09-2012, 04:50 PM

http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/showpost.php?p=6900973&postcount=202

WillC
09-09-2012, 04:50 PM
I'm not impressed by Wilt's dominance over 6'6" unathletic centers

:facepalm

Where does this myth about 6'6" white centers come from?

In 1961-62 when Wilt averaged over 50ppg there were just 9 teams in the NBA. Here's a list of the starting centers for each of those teams:

Philadelphia Warriors: Wilt Chamberlain* 7'1"
Boston Celtics: Bill Russell* 6'10"
Syracuse Nationals: Red Kerr 6'9" (main backup: Swede Halbrook 7'3")
New York Knicks: Phil Jordon 6'10" (main backup: Darrall Imhoff 6'10")
Los Angeles Lakers: Jim Krebs 6'8" (main backup: Ray Felix 6'11")
Cincinnati Royals: Wayne Embry 6'8"
Detroit Pistons: Walter Dukes 7'0"
St. Louis Hawks: Clyde Lovellette* 6'9" (main backup: Larry Foust 6'9")
Chicago Packers: Walt Bellamy* 6'11"

*Denotes Hall of Famer

Then factor in that players were measured bare footed back then, so you can add another inch or so if you want those heights to be in keeping with modern measurements.

Wilt Chamberlain faced no more 6'6" centers than Shaq, Kareem or any other legendary center did.

Clearly, later in his career, Wilt faced even tougher competition at center, including the likes of Willis Reed, Kareem Abdul-Jabbar, Nate Thurmond and Bob Lanier.

And guess what? He still dominated.

Poetry
09-09-2012, 04:56 PM
How is saying that most teams had centers BELOW 6'10 NOT supporting what I said?

I acknowledge that what you wrote may have been a typo - of course 6'10 footers and 7 footers existed, but so did the 6'6" centers that Wilt dominated -- do you see any 6'6" centers today? No, there's a reason why

6 out of 8 teams had Centers that were 6'10 and up in Wilt's rookie year.

There were players then that played multiple positions, F-C, same as today. But primarily, almost all the teams had BIG big men.

Let's not act like LeBron wouldn't be one of the three best centers in the league today. Like Wilt, LeBron is a freak of nature athlete.

The league has gotten smaller in the last 10-15 years. And being 6'10 and up doesn't guarantee a players will be the best center in the league.

7_cody
09-09-2012, 04:58 PM

Where does this myth about 6'6" white centers come from?

In 1961-62 when Wilt averaged over 50ppg there were just 9 teams in the NBA. Here's a list of the starting centers for each of those teams:

Philadelphia Warriors: Wilt Chamberlain* 7'1"
Boston Celtics: Bill Russell* 6'10"
Syracuse Nationals: Red Kerr 6'9" (main backup: Swede Halbrook 7'3")
New York Knicks: Phil Jordon 6'10" (main backup: Darrall Imhoff 6'10")
Los Angeles Lakers: Jim Krebs 6'8" (main backup: Ray Felix 6'11")
Cincinnati Royals: Wayne Embry 6'8"
Detroit Pistons: Walter Dukes 7'0"
St. Louis Hawks: Clyde Lovellette* 6'9" (main backup: Larry Foust 6'9")
Chicago Packers: Walt Bellamy* 6'11"

*Denotes Hall of Famer

Then factor in that players were measured bare footed back then, so you can add another inch or so if you want those heights to be in keeping with modern measurements.

Wilt Chamberlain faced no more 6'6" centers than Shaq, Kareem or any other legendary center did.

Clearly, later in his career, Wilt faced even tougher competition at center, including the likes of Willis Reed, Kareem Abdul-Jabbar, Nate Thurmond and Bob Lanier.

And guess what? He still dominated.

A quick google search tells me that there are like 46 seven footers in the NBA today. The list posted earlier had like 8 or 9 I think. So what you're basically saying is that there were 8 or 9 games where he faced a seven footer, most not very talented, but other then that he had a severe size advantage

His numbers are impressive for his era, nothing else, IMO

7_cody
09-09-2012, 04:59 PM
Alright, I graciously accept defeat on the size issue -- I'm still not impressed with Wilt's method of scoring his 100, or the era that he played in (as arrogant as that sounds as a basketball fan)

I don't think Wilts dominance would translate to this era, but that is impossible to prove, so it's just an opinion

Poetry
09-09-2012, 05:00 PM
A quick google search tells me that there are like 46 seven footers in the NBA today. The list posted earlier had like 8 or 9 I think. So what you're basically saying is that there were 8 or 9 games where he faced a seven footer, most not very talented, but other then that he had a severe size advantage

You do realize the league was much smaller then? Do some research man. You're making yourself sound so uninformed.

WillC
09-09-2012, 05:05 PM
Alright, I graciously accept defeat on the size issue -- I'm still not impressed with Wilt's method of scoring his 100, or the era that he played in (as arrogant as that sounds as a basketball fan)

I don't think Wilts dominance would translate to this era, but that is impossible to prove, so it's just an opinion

Nobody is saying Wilt would average 50ppg today or be able to score 100 points in a game if he played today.

But that doesn't deny the fact that averaging 50ppg - even back in 1961-62 - was ****ing impressive.

I find it baffling why you are trying to piss all over the history of a sport that you clearly love. Care to explain your reasons for doing so?

7_cody
09-09-2012, 05:14 PM
Nobody is saying Wilt would average 50ppg today or be able to score 100 points in a game if he played today.

But that doesn't deny the fact that averaging 50ppg - even back in 1961-62 - was ****ing impressive.

I find it baffling why you are trying to piss all over the history of a sport that you clearly love. Care to explain your reasons for doing so?

I'm not very knowledgeable on the NBA before the 1980s, well I know quite a bit but I'm not expert is what I want to say

From what I've seen watching classic games probably pre 1970s or so (which is how I like to judge, by watching, not reading stats) - the game was in its early stages of evolution and none of it was impressive

It doesn't make basketball less amazing, every sport started somewhere.

WillC
09-09-2012, 05:23 PM
I'm not very knowledgeable on the NBA before the 1980s, well I know quite a bit but I'm not expert is what I want to say

From what I've seen watching classic games probably pre 1970s or so (which is how I like to judge, by watching, not reading stats) - the game was in its early stages of evolution and none of it was impressive

Without meaning to sound condescending, perhaps you ought to learn a bit more about basketball pre-1970s before criticising it?

Basketball wasn't impressive pre-1970? That's an incredibly naive and insulting comment.

Hank Luisetti's use of the one-handed shot wasn't impressive in the 1930s?

Nat Holman's Original Celtics invention of the pivot play wasn't impressive?

The Harlem Renaissance's intricate team play wasn't impressive?

Oscar Robertson's all-around dominance in college and the pros wasn't impressive?

The Boston Celtic's 11 championships weren't impressive?

I think you need to learn a bit more before commenting in the future.

CavaliersFTW
09-09-2012, 05:25 PM

A quick google search isn't research - research that would tell you there aren't 46 7 footers in the NBA today at all. Because NBA list heights today are ridiculously exaggerated.

swi7ch
09-09-2012, 05:26 PM
Shaq would do the same in that era, perhaps more pts.

WillC
09-09-2012, 05:27 PM
Shaq would do the same in that era, perhaps more pts.

That's correct.

But he wasn't even alive then, so your point is a moot one.

Poetry
09-09-2012, 05:30 PM

For the most part, the game is the same now as it was then, with a few differences in what was considered kosher and what wasn't.

The biggest leap in the game occurred post Mikan with the introduction of the shot clock. There's never been a bigger leap from one era to the other since then.

Back then, a team like the Globetrotters could dribble out the game clock and steal a victory from the Lakers.

FROM NBA.com:

"Two momentous events in NBA history occurred prior to the 1954-55 season. George Mikan, who had been the standard-bearer as the league gained a foothold in the public consciousness, announced his retirement. But if anything could overshadow the departure of the game's greatest player, it was the adoption of the 24-second clock and an accompanying limit on the number of fouls a team could commit in a quarter. Syracuse owner Danny Biasone and his GM, Leo Ferris, came up with the shot clock idea, which along with the team foul limit, created the pro basketball game we know today.

The shot clock is born.

Scoring shot up immediately, from 79.5 ppg to 93.1. While team scoring soared, individual point totals did not, with the increased points seeming to come from across the team."

Pointguard
09-09-2012, 05:32 PM

Outside of Wilt, nobody was blocking Kareem's hook with regularity. That just didn't happen. Not Sampson, not Hakeem, not Ewing, not Bol, not Eaton. So everybody was 6'6 to Kareem. So why didn't he score 50ppg. Yao had a much bigger height advantage and he could shoot. Shaq had a bigger advantage than Wilt because he used his weight to dominate and nobody had his size AND the refs worked with him on his advantages. Shaq was also quicker, among the longest, stronger and faster than all the other centers (wasn't as fast D Rob tho). Height doesn't have as much to do with scoring as you think. How many 7 foot centers ever averaged over 30ppg. I can only think of Kareem and Wilt. The more impressive center scorers were 6/10 ish Amare, Moses, McAdoo, Hakeem and they did so with impressive movement and finess more so than anything. Shaq is unique in the power game aspect.

Who was the best defender on Shaq? For me it was 6'8 Rodman. I not feeling the height argument. AI amazingly, doesn't even get respect from most of you guys claiming that the 60's was small, and AI isn't 6 ft tall and scored primarily from 15 feet and in, so height isn't that crazy of factor for most of yall.

WillC
09-09-2012, 05:34 PM
Outside of Wilt, nobody was blocking Kareem's hook with regularity. That just didn't happen. Not Sampson, not Hakeem, not Ewing, not Bol, not Eaton. So everybody was 6'6 to Kareem. So why didn't he score 50ppg. Yao had a much bigger height advantage and he could shoot. Shaq had a bigger advantage than Wilt because he used his weight dominate and nobody had his size AND the refs worked with him on his advantages. Shaq was also quicker, among the longest, stronger and faster than all the other centers (wasn't as fast D Rob tho). Height doesn't have as much to do with scoring as you think. How many 7 foot centers ever averaged over 30ppg. I can only think of Kareem and Wilt. The more impressive center scorers were 6/10 ish Amare, Moses, McAdoo, Hakeem and they did so with impressive movement and finess more so than anything. Shaq is unique in the power game aspect.

Who was the best defender on Shaq? For me it was 6'8 Rodman. I not feeling the height argument. AI amazingly, doesn't even get respect from most of you guys claiming that the 60's was small, and AI isn't 6 ft tall and scored primarily from 15 feet and in, so height crazy of factor for most of yall.

Excellent post full of good examples. Why can't more ISH members make intelligent well-researched posts like this?

swi7ch
09-09-2012, 05:37 PM
That's correct.

But he wasn't even alive then, so your point is a moot one.
I don't care, as long as I'm right. :rockon:

swi7ch
09-09-2012, 05:38 PM
Also, imagine how much McGee would dominate that era. :eek:

BlueandGold
09-09-2012, 05:38 PM
Regardless of what a lot of NBA revisionists would like to say there's no way Wilt would average close to that in today's game.

Take into consideration:

- # of teams in the league at that point was a 1/3rd of what it is now, ABA also existed to take away talent from the NBA

- # of playoff games needed to win a championship was much lower as well (factoring in championships)

-# of possessions per game and pace was MUCH higher during the 60s/70s. There's a great possessions/drating chart that's been floating around that shows that the pace was the highest in the 60s, 70s and 80s, lowest in the late 90s and 00s.

- Average height/wingspan of your average player was much smaller, also mentioned earlier the talent pool was diluted due to ABA sapping talent away from the league. Hell even the Harlem Globetrotters took Wilt before Philly was able to secure him.

CavaliersFTW
09-09-2012, 05:39 PM
Regardless of what a lot of revisionists would like to say there's no way Wilt would average close to that in today's game.

Take into consideration:

- # of teams in the league at that point was a 1/3rd of what it is now, ABA also existed to take away talent from the NBA

- # of playoff games needed to win a championship was much lower as well (factoring in championships)

-# of possessions per game and pace was MUCH higher during the 60s/70s. There's a great possessions/drating chart that's been floating around that shows that the pace was the highest in the 60s, 70s and 80s, lowest in the late 90s and 00s.

- Average height/wingspan of your average player was much smaller, also mentioned earlier the talent pool was diluted due to ABA sapping talent away from the league
I research player barefoot height / wingspans that predate draftexpress and I can tell you that's bullshit right off the bat. Sounds like your other reasonings are simply making up excuses for your own fav players when anyone could easily cherry pick reasons why their own era is "weak". Plus, your accusing people of saying things that have never been said trying to make the opposition look stupid with lies. Find me one quote of anyone on ISH saying Wilt would average 50 today. I'll wait.

MasterDurant24
09-09-2012, 05:40 PM

The only big differences I see from back then to now is the ball handling, because players werent allowed to carry the ball back then and more dunks. And of course the 3point line. But post play especially, hasnt seemed to change that much.

WillC
09-09-2012, 05:41 PM
Regardless of what a lot of NBA revisionists would like to say there's no way Wilt would average close to that in today's game.

Take into consideration:

- Average height/wingspan of your average player was much smaller, also mentioned earlier the talent pool was diluted due to ABA sapping talent away from the league. Hell even the Harlem Globetrotters took Wilt before Philly was able to secure him.

Find me one person who thinks that Wilt would average 50ppg today.

Nobody thinks he would or could.

However, that doesn't take anything away from what he did achieve in the 1960s, when he single-handedly decimated the record books for eternity.

If you don't respect that, then that's your loss. It's a shame you can't respect the history of the game.

WillC
09-09-2012, 05:43 PM
The only big differences I see from back then to now is the ball handling, because players werent allowed to carry the ball back then and more dunks. And of course the 3point line. But post play especially, hasnt seemed to change that much.

You're spot on; ball-handling and the three-point line are the main changes.

BlueandGold
09-09-2012, 05:44 PM
Find me one person who thinks that Wilt would average 50ppg today.

Nobody thinks he would or could.

However, that doesn't take anything away from what he did achieve in the 1960s, when he single-handedly decimated the record books for eternity.

If you don't respect that, then that's your loss. It's a shame you can't respect the history of the game.

It's a shame that's all you got from my post.

BTW idolizing and glorifying past NBA players is not "respecting the history of the game".

I'm not sure how old you are but have some more self-respect please, or at least respect the legitimate posters on this forum. If not you'll find yourself arguing with only the trolls on this forum (at least 50% of the posters here)

Math2
09-09-2012, 05:46 PM
True:applause:

The funniest part of that post is as if you hadn't ever had a thought close to this ever.

Yet garbage minutes or not, think of how a man playing an entire game under more PHYSICAL rules and harder opposition (yes, not every single game, but that's like criticizing Kobe for scoring some crazy amount of points against Charlotte "but it's against Charlotte" is how you denigrate the entire 60s basketball, when infact the league was infinitely stronger. I guess everyone in the league has no marketable stars just because Charlotte doesn't).

Can you see anyone playing 48 minutes in today's pussyball? Exactly.

WillC
09-09-2012, 05:49 PM
It's a shame that's all you got from my post.

BTW idolizing and glorifying past NBA players is not "respecting the history of the game".

I'm not sure how old you are but have some more self-respect please, or at least respect the legitimate posters on this forum. If not you'll find yourself arguing with only the trolls on this forum (at least 50% of the posters here)

I'm not glorifying past NBA players; I'm merely defending them from people who show no respect for what those players and teams accomplished.

In your post, you made up a load of crap and expect people to buy it.

I'm probably twice your age and, from what I can tell, know infinitely more about basketball than you do. You said you're a "legitimate poster on this forum" and yet your previous post stated that "regardless of what a lot of NBA revisionists would like to say there's no way Wilt would average close to that in today's game", proving that you struggle with reading comprehension.

I'll ask once again: please find me one person who thinks that Wilt would average 50ppg today. Even jlauber doesn't think that.

Now, if you've got nothing constructive to say about NBA history, then stop trying to piss all over it.

Thank you.

Poetry
09-09-2012, 05:51 PM
Can you see anyone playing 48 minutes in today's pussyball? Exactly.

He led the league practically every year, well into the end of his career, it's almost unimaginable.

Once in a generation, freak of nature athlete.

Even if his minutes were reduced in todays game, he would be raring to get off the bench and add to his 20,000 list.

BlueandGold
09-09-2012, 05:55 PM
I'm not glorifying past NBA players; I'm merely defending them from people who show no respect for what those players and teams accomplished.

In your post, you made up a load of crap and expect people to buy it.

I'm probably twice your age and, from what I can tell, know infinitely more about basketball than you do. You said you're a "legitimate poster on this forum" and yet your previous post stated that "regardless of what a lot of NBA revisionists would like to say there's no way Wilt would average close to that in today's game", proving that you struggle with reading comprehension.

I'll ask once again: please find me one person who thinks that Wilt would average 50ppg today. Even jlauber doesn't think that.

Now, if you've got nothing constructive to say about NBA history, then stop trying to piss all over it.

Thank you.
Good to know your so modest. Anyways it's pretty obvious to most of the posters on here who are the trolls and who aren't.All I stated were factors to consider and your getting that worked out about it and then attack me for "making up a load of crap".

If your not offended by my opinions then simply ignore me or choose not to read.

I'm sure your going to post some smart response back as to that's exactly what you plan to do but I'll continue to read your posts and respond to them as I see fit. When you want to have a civilized/legitimate discussion on NBA matters feel free to respond to mine with a little something more than calling everything what I have to say "a load of crap".

Anyways back to the OP:

- the pace per possessions WAS significantly much more in the 60s and 70s.
- took much less games to win a championship (only had to win 8) and the ABA also sapped talent away from the league (Dr. J, Moses, etc)
- Wilt's point production also dropped significantly in the playoffs, even with the higher pace was unable to outscore Jordan and Shaq in playoff PPG

If you want to dispute those facts than please go ahead, will only respond to NBA related content.

b1imtf
09-09-2012, 05:57 PM
How the **** does he average 48.5 minutes?

CavaliersFTW
09-09-2012, 05:58 PM
Wow. It's literally an all out ISH war right now between those who consider the 60's and 70's as a legitimately competitive NBA era (and the players who accomplished feats in that era) and those who clearly don't. Most NBA "fans" on the non-supportive side must have failed miserably in their history classes when they were in school. Clearly it isn't valued. Most of the people talking about that era that don't think it was competitive are OPENLY STATING that they have seen little of it and know little of it. Yet they are just as keen on saying it wasn't impressive :facepalm

WillC
09-09-2012, 05:59 PM
Good to know your so modest. Anyways it's pretty obvious to most of the posters on here who are the trolls and who aren't.All I stated were factors to consider and your getting that worked out about it and then attack me for "making up a load of crap".

If your not offended by my opinions then simply ignore me or choose not to read.

I'm sure your going to post some smart response back as to that's exactly what you plan to do but I'll continue to read your posts and respond to them as I see fit. When you want to have a civilized/legitimate discussion on NBA matters feel free to respond to mine with a little something more than calling everything what I have to say "a load of crap".

*you're

Everything you said in your post at the bottom of page 2 was incorrect, so yes, it was a load of crap.

Like I said, it's a shame you can't respect the League's history, instead of trying to belittle it.

Raz
09-09-2012, 06:01 PM

Are you mentally deficient? There are more today because there are more teams. Do your research, kid.

WillC
09-09-2012, 06:02 PM
Wow. It's literally an all out ISH war right now between those who consider the 60's as a legitimately competitive NBA era (and the players who accomplished feats in that era) and those who clearly don't. Most NBA "fans" must have failed miserably in their history classes.

Those who don't respect the League's history are those of a certain age (i.e. school kids).

However, there's some good news: In 10 years time, when LeBron is retired, there will be some new kids on ISH who will try to tell people that LeBron was overrated. People like BlueandGold and his cronies will suddenly find themselves in our shoes; they will defend LeBron rationally and, all of sudden, it'll dawn on them that the League's history should be respected.

Only then will BlueandGold and his fellow teenagers have an appreciation of Wilt Chamberlain and other superstars of yesteryear.

In the meantime, it's like banging our heads against a brick wall.

They just don't get it.

But they will get it one day.

7_cody
09-09-2012, 06:03 PM
*you're

Everything you said in your post at the bottom of page 2 was incorrect, so yes, it was a load of crap.

Like I said, it's a shame you can't respect the League's history, instead of trying to belittle it.

I really liked what you brought to this thread so far -- you even changed my perspective a bit on the "history of the game and its greatness back in the 60s"

however, to be fair, you're not really rebutting anything BlueandGold said. All of it is false just because you said so? Any proof? Looks to me like he made have made three very valid points, which I haven't researched or clarified, but have you?

7_cody
09-09-2012, 06:06 PM
Those who don't respect the League's history are those of a certain age (i.e. school kids).

However, there's some good news: In 10 years time, when LeBron is retired, there will be some new kids on ISH who will try to tell people that LeBron was overrated. People like BlueandGold and his cronies will suddenly find themselves in our shoes; they will defend LeBron rationally and, all of sudden, it'll dawn on them that the League's history should be respected.

Only then will BlueandGold and his fellow teenagers have an appreciation of Wilt Chamberlain and other superstars of yesteryear.

They just don't get it.

I respect the "history of the game" for what it was -- the history. I also believe that it has evolved and will continue to do so. From what I've seen watching footage and classic games of the very, very early games I was not impressed by the level of athleticism and skill. But that's to be expected, every sport starts somewhere.

Don't you think the level of talent and skill in the NBA and the world will be even better in 20 years from now, not worse?

With that said, I can see why you're frustrated, it's like your analogy of people bashing LeBron in the future -- if 20 years from now my grand kids are telling me that Kobe wasn't very good, or even LeBron, then they'll be hearing it from me lol

BlueandGold
09-09-2012, 06:08 PM
I really liked what you brought to this thread so far -- you even changed my perspective a bit on the "history of the game and its greatness back in the 60s"

however, to be fair, you're not really rebutting anything BlueandGold said. All of it is false just because you said so? Any proof? Looks to me like he made have made three very valid points, which I haven't researched or clarified, but have you?

I recommend that you, if you are truly a fan of the history of the game like myself. Anyways I wouldn't bother wasting any more text on willc, looks like he's out of trolling material already.

BTW Cavs what argument have to offer on the points i just made?

7_cody
09-09-2012, 06:08 PM
Are you mentally deficient? There are more today because there are more teams. Do your research, kid.

I never said otherwise -- a smaller league is also advantageous for individual performance and success

I don't care enough to do the research and exactly what percentage of 7 footers existed back then compared to today -- most of us, well most of us should know that it's obviously a much higher percentage today

WillC
09-09-2012, 06:09 PM

Fine, just for you, I will point out why each of BlueandGold's points is invalid...

Take into consideration:

If anything, playing against just 9 teams made life harder for Wilt; instead of beating up on the likes of the Bobcats, he had to face the 8 best opposing centers in the league game-after-game.

Meanwhile, the ABA didn't exist in 1961-62 :facepalm

What has that got to do with Wilt averaging 50ppg in the regular season? :facepalm

That is true.

Wilt averaged 50.4ppg that season. Second place? Walt Bellamy with 31.6ppg. The pace is irrelevant; nobody has ever won the scoring title by such a huge margin.

The wingspan comment isn't true; the average height of centers back then was the same as it is now. I've already pointed out that players were measured bare-footed back then.

And, as I've already said, the ABA didn't exist in 1961-62.

So there you have it, 7_cody. I hope that proves that everything BlueandGold said was a load of crap.

Soundwave
09-09-2012, 06:13 PM
I think if you gave Wilt a year to train/adjust to the modern game though he'd be the best player in the game today (yes above LeBron) even at "only" 26-28 ppg/11-12 rpg.

Poetry
How the **** does he average 48.5 minutes?

https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-XHwF6g-Ue6Y/T2kxn9YwXZI/AAAAAAAADQ0/3q2doFcf7L0/s800/tumblr_lhxn994rWB1qbpbljo1_500.jpg

BlueandGold
*you're

They just don't get it.

lol I see Willc has clamed down?

Where does such a dramatic turn come from when he turns from this type of post ^ to the post he just made :oldlol:

WillC
09-09-2012, 06:14 PM
From what I've seen watching footage and classic games of the very, very early games I was not impressed by the level of athleticism and skill.

You need to look more closely. Sure, you won't have seen Iverson-esque crossovers in the 1960s. You won't see (many) alley-oops. You won't see (many) behind the back passes.

But what you will see is incredible team play. You'll see Bill Russell playing the high-post pivot better than anyone in history. You'll see Bob Cousy knowing exactly where each of his teammates prefers to receive the ball. You'll see Wilt Chamberlain and Kareem Abdul-Jabbar scoring in more ways than Dwight Howard can even dream of. You'll see Oscar Robertson mastering the art of backing down his man and scoring with the most beautiful jump shot you will ever see.

If that's not skill, then I don't know what is.

(By the way, you seem intelligent enough to take on board everything I am saying, so I hope I'm not wasting my time here)

7_cody
Well looks like I'm going to watch some more Wilt footage. Maybe I was wrong about him.

Before anyone bashes me -- I have great basketball knowledge, but I've admitted that I'm weak on the very very early history of the NBA

Not many people would admit this

Legends66NBA7
Wilt averaged 50.4ppg that season. Second place? Walt Bellamy with 31.6ppg. The pace is irrelevant; nobody has ever won the scoring title by such a huge margin.

Just to clarify, wasn't that the last year that a scoring title was determined by Total Points, not Points Per Game ?

I know I've read that it used to be the case to determine a scoring title. Unless, this isn't true.

For what matters, Wilt still led the league in scoring by a huge margin

WillC
09-09-2012, 06:16 PM
Just to clarify, wasn't that the last year that a scoring title was determined by Total Points, not Points Per Game ?

I know I've read that it used to be the case to determine a scoring title. Unless, this isn't true.

I would need to look that up. But that doesn't change things; Walt Bellamy had the second highest points per game average that season.

And it was nearly 20ppg less than Wilt's.

Poetry
09-09-2012, 06:17 PM
Well looks like I'm going to watch some more Wilt footage. Maybe I was wrong about him.

There are some incredible videos floating around on this forum. You'll be amazed by his arsenal.

WillC
09-09-2012, 06:19 PM
I think it's safe to say that I just won this argument, so I'm logging off.

Hopefully a few people will learn to respect the history of the game a bit more after reading this thread.

Legends66NBA7
09-09-2012, 06:19 PM
I would need to look that up. But that doesn't change things; Walt Bellamy had the second highest points per game average that season.

And it was nearly 20ppg less than Wilt's.

Yeah, I just edited my post.

7_cody
09-09-2012, 06:20 PM
You need to look more closely. Sure, you won't have seen Iverson-esque crossovers in the 1960s. You won't see (many) alley-oops. You won't see (many) behind the back passes.

But what you will see is incredible team play. You'll see Bill Russell playing the high-post pivot better than anyone in history. You'll see Bob Cousy knowing exactly where each of his teammates prefers to receive the ball. You'll see Wilt Chamberlain and Kareem Abdul-Jabbar scoring in more ways than Dwight Howard can even dream of. You'll see Oscar Robertson mastering the art of backing down his man and scoring with the most beautiful jump shot you will ever see.

(By the way, you seem intelligent enough to take on board everything I am saying, so I hope I'm not wasting my time here)

Actually the ball and off ball movement is really the only thing that has impressed me. I was always disgusted at the hunchback dribbling and refusal to go left, but now I understand that may be because of the fact that players couldn't carry back in the day.

And no you're not wasting my time -- you've already changed my perspective a bit and shown me that I'm weak in the early history of the game, so I gotta work on that

CavaliersFTW
09-09-2012, 06:20 PM

Before anyone bashes me -- I have great basketball knowledge, but I've admitted that I'm weak on the very very early history of the NBA

Not many people would admit this
Very big of you to say that - theres a starting point
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YVDzzxVE34k

WillC
09-09-2012, 06:22 PM
Actually the ball and off ball movement is really the only thing that has impressed me. I was always disgusted at the hunchback dribbling and refusal to go left, but now I understand that may be because of the fact that players couldn't carry back in the day.

And no you're not wasting my time -- you've already changed my perspective a bit and shown me that I'm weak in the early history of the game, so I gotta work on that

[This really is my last post, I promise...]

After you've learned more about the early days of the NBA, the next step is to learn more about pre-NBA history. You'll be amazed at what you'll discover.

When you find yourself reading 300-page books about Hank Luisetti (look him up), then I will be happy that you've reached my level of obsession on the game's history :pimp:

Best of luck and enjoy every second of it.

upside24
09-09-2012, 06:26 PM

Good post. The subtle nuances of 60's and 70's games go unnoticed by many fans of today's basketball because they are more focused on highlight plays and athleticism.

Your mention of the Big O is excellent. He would back his man down right to his preferred spot on the court and turnaround with that high release and get a good look virtually everytime. It's not flashly like a crossover and drive for a dunk like Wade but it requires a great deal of skill and talent. Bill Simmons likened Oscar's high post game as "bringing an Uzi to an Old West gunfight."

Poetry
09-09-2012, 06:36 PM
Very big of you to say that - theres a starting point
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YVDzzxVE34k

His scoop-lay up shot looks so hard to defend. It's almost like you can't tell if it's going to be a fake, a dunk or a shot.

7_cody
09-09-2012, 06:40 PM
His scoop-lay up shot looks so hard to defend. It's almost like you can't tell if it's going to be a fake, a dunk or a shot.

Hard to cleanly block to, gonna hit his arm most of the time

magictricked
09-09-2012, 06:41 PM

Take into consideration:

These posts. To much wrong to even begin addressing it.

Teams were more stacked in the 60's 70's and 80's despite the ABA and it's relatively short existence. The league we see now is more diluted. All the talk we hear of now about Super teams was the norm way back when.

What does the number of playoff games have to do with regular season statistics?

The pace of the game is the only legit statement you've made and it would be the only thing to curtail Wilt putting up big numbers on a consistent basis but Wilt was an incredible player in his day and if he were transported to today with today's training methods he'd be even more of a force of nature. It would be tough no arguing that but in the right system with the right role players around him I don't doubt for a second he'd make a proper run at it

the Harlem Globetrotters comment. WTF does that have to with anything?

7_cody
09-09-2012, 06:43 PM

These posts. To much wrong to even begin addressing it.

Teams were more stacked in the 60's 70's and 80's despite the ABA and it's relatively short existence. The league we see now is more diluted. All the talk we hear of now about Super teams was the norm way back when.

What does the number of playoff games have to do with regular season statistics?

The pace of the game is the only legit statement you've made and it would be the only thing to curtail Wilt putting up big numbers on a consistent basis but Wilt was an incredible player in his day and if he were transported to today with today's training methods he'd be even more of a force of nature. It would be tough no arguing that but in the right system with the right role players around him I don't doubt for a second he'd make a proper run at it

the Harlem Globetrotters comment. WTF does that have to with anything?

WillC already debunked this for you, think it's on the previous page

Poetry
09-09-2012, 06:52 PM
Hard to cleanly block to, gonna hit his arm most of the time

Yeah when he has deep position, you can see defenders holding his other arm, since the extension makes it so hard to reach the ball.

Owl
09-09-2012, 07:07 PM

An interesting post. Some points more valid than others.

Minutes did indeed increase substantially his opportunity to score points.

Also depending on whether you're trying to project Wilt into the modern game (without the benefit of sports science and chartered flights etc), or state how dominant he was you might also want to adjust his field goal percentage up. You could do this a number of ways, you might choose the modern 2 point percentage as early NBA players had little incentive to take such long shots, you might adjust by the margin he was ahead of the pack or by the percentage he was above the average.

How many garbage minutes do you think there are in the average game? Also how much do you think other teams went to their bench. As I'm sure you're aware all the elite players in the 60s played big minutes. Bill Russell average 42.3mpg over his career, Oscar Robertson 44 mpg through to the 1970 season, Walt Bellamy played 42.3 minutes that year. So no he wasn't playing scubs a lot.

Your most valid points relate to the huge minutes (which weren't atypical for the era, but he probably wouldn't be allowed to play that much today) and pace. But turning 50ppg into 25ppg just isn't credible.

Whilst Elgin Baylor played only 48 games in 1961-62 due to military service his 38.3 ppg should be acknowledged, even if we are going to say it might not meet minimum thresholds. Given that Baylor got better than 34 points in the year before and after in years in which the league scoring average was lower it would be disingenuous to say that Baylor would not have at very least matched his 34ppg or suggest 38ppg was a fluke. Even excluding Baylor there were 5 players averaging over 30 points per game, with no other year having more than 3 such players. So for that one single season, whilst Wilt's lead over the pack was substantial, it was not as large as others have perhaps implied and pace I think we would all recognise, was a factor.

Still the ideas that what Wilt did "wasn't that impressive", or that Wilt should be punished for his athleticism and strength or that he was playing 6'6 pivotmen (Chuck Hayes anyone?) are not credible. Whilst there are legitimate factors that should be accounted for (pace, smaller pool of potential players, racial quotas) in Wilt's early career numbers, his achievements are undeniably staggering.

iamgine
09-09-2012, 10:37 PM
How many garbage minutes do you think there are in the average game? Also how much do you think other teams went to their bench. As I'm sure you're aware all the elite players in the 60s played big minutes. Bill Russell average 42.3mpg over his career, Oscar Robertson 44 mpg through to the 1970 season, Walt Bellamy played 42.3 minutes that year. So no he wasn't playing scubs a lot.

For centers, only Bill and Walt averaged 42+ minutes. The rest of the league's centers averaged less than 35 minutes. So yes, he was playing scrubs a lot.

Deuce Bigalow
09-09-2012, 10:48 PM
http://img577.imageshack.us/img577/7296/28615355ddnbgli.jpg

Colbertnation64
09-09-2012, 11:11 PM
my wilt video for 7 cody

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FgbfZTQeKRk

RazorBaLade
09-09-2012, 11:18 PM
idk if its in this thread or not , it might be at the start, but whoever posted that the whole adjusting of stats shit is useless because it means russel averaged neg 7 points.... you are amazing and truly made an intelligent point. dont know fi the ***** will see this BUT PROPS WERE AERNED

Deuce Bigalow
09-09-2012, 11:23 PM
my wilt video for 7 cody

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FgbfZTQeKRk
Lil B follows you on twitter :oldlol:

Colbertnation64
09-09-2012, 11:36 PM
Lil B follows you on twitter :oldlol:
hahaha so happy about that.

He followed me randomly, I woke up one day with the email. :oldlol:

DatAsh
09-10-2012, 12:25 AM
idk if its in this thread or not , it might be at the start, but whoever posted that the whole adjusting of stats shit is useless because it means russel averaged neg 7 points.... you are amazing and truly made an intelligent point. dont know fi the ***** will see this BUT PROPS WERE AERNED

With a purely multiplicative function like the one used to adjust for pace and minutes, you won't end up with a negative value unless you multiply by a negative(which you shouldn't).

For instance, Wilt's 62 team played at a 130.5 pace. If we adjust that down to the 90.9 pace that Kobe's 05-06 team played at you come out with around 35 points a game. From there, you can adjust the minutes down to whatever amount you see fit; with 44 mpg, you're now looking at 32 ppg, 42mpg - 30ppg.

If we apply the same method to Bill Russell we'll end up with 13ppg @44mpg and 12ppg @42mpg. You shouldn't be getting negative numbers. If you are, you're doing something wrong.

Apologies if you were being sarcastic, I couldn't tell.

Owl
09-10-2012, 05:54 AM
For centers, only Bill and Walt averaged 42+ minutes. The rest of the league's centers averaged less than 35 minutes. So yes, he was playing scrubs a lot.
Wilt, Bellamy and Russell one third of starting centers. Clyde Lovellette played only 29.8 mpg but Bob Pettit played some center was he a scrub?

Like I said the elite players played long minutes at the time, which as I showed, was the norm.

Even accounting for ten minutes against so called "scrubs" how much more is that than an average center would have? Five extra minutes? Or are you confident that you bench patterns from back then. They weren't the same as today you know. For a time Havlicek started on the bench then after coming in sometimes never left the game.

Then account for how fatigue would have affected many of Wilt's minutes to be sub-optimal. Presumably in the modern game Wilt would have been rested and generally in even better condition. Yet you fail to account for this.

Trusting your calculations on pace and minutes he was at 31ppg per 36, Wilt would be at 36.16666667 ppg based on playing 42 minutes. Yet you project him scoring "maybe 28ppg". You're projected that he gained an extra 8 and a bit points by virtue of playing so called "scrubs" even though you've already pulled his minutes down and thus presumably taken away most of his minutes against said "scrubs". You've punished him twice by taking away his minutes (thus projecting him to play only against full timers) and then removed nearly a quarter of his points total suggesting it was earn't against scrubs despite the fact that you've taken those minutes away.

The second adjustment would need to take into account the first but you just lopped off 8 points without any reasoning as to why that amount is appropriate. Had you projected based on even semi-justified assumptions then we could at least debate it (e.g. had you said "I'm projecting Wilt to play 36mpg -on the low side but makes calculations easier- so I could take a quarter of his ppg away, but I think I'm taking his minutes against scrubs away so I think he'll have had more of his points then so I'll take three tenths of ppg away" then we could at least argue it). But instead you've lopped off an arbitrary chunk of his scoring, without any accounting for how he might benefit from rest.

50ppg was inflated, we all know that but to suggest that that it equates to half his actual points total in the modern game is ludicrous. It would project Oscar Robertson as a 12.5ppg career scorer (peaking at 15.6ppg), Jerry West as a 13.5ppg scorer etc. Put simply it's just not credible. Adjust properly with a real, transparent methodology or don't do it at all, but don't just conjure up numbers from nowhere.

iamgine
09-10-2012, 07:22 AM
Wilt, Bellamy and Russell one third of starting centers. Clyde Lovellette played only 29.8 mpg but Bob Pettit played some center was he a scrub?

Like I said the elite players played long minutes at the time, which as I showed, was the norm.

Even accounting for ten minutes against so called "scrubs" how much more is that than an average center would have? Five extra minutes? Or are you confident that you bench patterns from back then. They weren't the same as today you know. For a time Havlicek started on the bench then after coming in sometimes never left the game.

Then account for how fatigue would have affected many of Wilt's minutes to be sub-optimal. Presumably in the modern game Wilt would have been rested and generally in even better condition. Yet you fail to account for this.

Trusting your calculations on pace and minutes he was at 31ppg per 36, Wilt would be at 36.16666667 ppg based on playing 42 minutes. Yet you project him scoring "maybe 28ppg". You're projected that he gained an extra 8 and a bit points by virtue of playing so called "scrubs" even though you've already pulled his minutes down and thus presumably taken away most of his minutes against said "scrubs". You've punished him twice by taking away his minutes (thus projecting him to play only against full timers) and then removed nearly a quarter of his points total suggesting it was earn't against scrubs despite the fact that you've taken those minutes away.

The second adjustment would need to take into account the first but you just lopped off 8 points without any reasoning as to why that amount is appropriate. Had you projected based on even semi-justified assumptions then we could at least debate it (e.g. had you said "I'm projecting Wilt to play 36mpg -on the low side but makes calculations easier- so I could take a quarter of his ppg away, but I think I'm taking his minutes against scrubs away so I think he'll have had more of his points then so I'll take three tenths of ppg away" then we could at least argue it). But instead you've lopped off an arbitrary chunk of his scoring, without any accounting for how he might benefit from rest.

50ppg was inflated, we all know that but to suggest that that it equates to half his actual points total in the modern game is ludicrous. It would project Oscar Robertson as a 12.5ppg career scorer (peaking at 15.6ppg), Jerry West as a 13.5ppg scorer etc. Put simply it's just not credible. Adjust properly with a real, transparent methodology or don't do it at all, but don't just conjure up numbers from nowhere.
Bellamy was actually a rookie and not good defensively. So that leaves just Russell.

Oscar would be projected at about 20 ppg in 61-62, not 12.5 ppg.

Owl
09-10-2012, 08:53 AM
Bellamy was actually a rookie and not good defensively. So that leaves just Russell.

Well no halving his ppg that year would put him around 15ppg. But as I clearly stated I was reffering to his career totals.
I never said Bellamy was a good defender. But if it was about what you put up against whom, he was putting up over 40ppg on Russell that year. Russell who probably was playing full games versus Chamberlain. And ignoring Bellamy assumes that that we're saying that playing a good offensive player doesn't require any extra effort or exertion.

That aside I don't know why each time you're responding to only one line out of each of my posts. I asume it's because you you accept the general point that you pulled 25ppg out of nowhere and then took away substantial minutes and yet still assumed he'd play substantial minutes against backups and ended up badly overadjusting.

Nobody thinks 50ppg wasn't inflated, I've said that in every post I've made. But 25ppg is very low and you've shown no methodology for it so why on earth are you so wedded to that figure.

iamgine
09-10-2012, 09:42 AM
Well no halving his ppg that year would put him around 15ppg. But as I clearly stated I was reffering to his career totals.
I never said Bellamy was a good defender. But if it was about what you put up against whom, he was putting up over 40ppg on Russell that year. Russell who probably was playing full games versus Chamberlain. And ignoring Bellamy assumes that that we're saying that playing a good offensive player doesn't require any extra effort or exertion.

That aside I don't know why each time you're responding to only one line out of each of my posts. I asume it's because you you accept the general point that you pulled 25ppg out of nowhere and then took away substantial minutes and yet still assumed he'd play substantial minutes against backups and ended up badly overadjusting.

Nobody thinks 50ppg wasn't inflated, I've said that in every post I've made. But 25ppg is very low and you've shown no methodology for it so why on earth are you so wedded to that figure.
I only responded with 1 line because it's all in the 1st post. It's not just simply halving the points. Jerry West, for example would be projected at around 22 ppg in 61-62.

Psileas
09-10-2012, 11:01 AM
One more point about projecting modern numbers to Wilt's era: Do so for whole teams or convert 60's teams' scoring stats into modern ppg numbers, then compare players and report the results, thank you.

Or, alternatively, someone tell me how no team in the 80's wasn't "smart" enough to raise their pace from 100 to 130 and therefore raise their ppg from 110 to 140+.

CavaliersFTW
09-10-2012, 11:09 AM

:oldlol: baseless - classic garbage post material. your better than this

KyrieTheFuture
09-10-2012, 11:21 AM
So since when does height make an era strong? Is this a weak era? Because there are plenty of big ass dudes out there who aren't doing anything versus smaller competition. Roy hibbert was 6 inches taller than anyone on the Heat roster and he didnt put up 50. Dwight is the best center in the league at 6'9. I don't understand why people are so hell bent on lowering wilt's legacy. The dude was legit. Would he score 100 today? No. He would be damn good though.

kurple
09-10-2012, 11:47 AM
Wilt = javale mcgee:lol
i wish

fpliii
09-10-2012, 11:50 AM
I don't really have any comment, other than that there (almost certainly) isn't a linear relationship between pace/minutes and performance. You'll obviously get diminishing returns as minutes increase, so it's difficult to compare players on the basis of adjusted production.

Pointguard
09-10-2012, 12:30 PM
If you scored the points, they count as points. You can't make them disappear. But the second you adjust them you can only adjust them to the point that if somebody scored that you can't take that away from him. Since Ted Luckenbill averaged two ppg on that Wilt team you can't pretend that he didn't score. Reality demands that he exist as a scorer. The most points you can take away from Wilt would be 1.9ppg. Any other adjustment is a lie on earth, for all practical reasons.

The second point is if 50ppg is predicated on minutes and inferior competition then why doesn't it exist in our HS or college ranks where disparities exist in much greater proportions? How about Kareem in every level of the game he was only disturbed by Thurmond and Wilt but he never got within 15ppg of that year. Here's a contemporary of Wilt and he had an unstoppable shot and is top GOAT on nearly everybody's list.

He scored more than 20% more than any other full time player. Please show me a similar example in any major sport. It seems like a distortion of reality. If that doesn't impress you then what will?