PDA

View Full Version : Now that the Big 3 Era is officially over in Boston, what letter grade do they get?

fpliii
09-16-2012, 02:10 PM
It's been a little while since the playoffs ended and Ray Allen left in free agency, so I'm just wondering what you all think the bottom line is on the Celtics with a KG-Allen-Pierce core? Did they meet, fall short of, or exceed your expectations as of summer 2007? What letter grade do you give them for their five seasons together?

http://boston.sportsthenandnow.com/wp/wp-content/uploads/2012/07/the-big-three-2.jpg

WillC
09-16-2012, 02:12 PM
They achieved their goal: they won a championship together and came oh-so-close to making it two. It's hard to fault them. Their longevity has exceeded expectations.

I give them an A- (would be an A if they'd won two championships).

fpliii
09-16-2012, 02:15 PM
They achieved their goal: they won a championship together and came oh-so-close to making it two. It's hard to fault them. Their longevity has exceeded expectations.

I give them an A- (would be an A if they'd won two championships).

How far do you think they go in 09 with a healthy KG?

Rubio2Gasol
09-16-2012, 02:16 PM
How far do you think they go in 09 with a healthy KG?

Finals definitely.

Possibly winning it though Kobe was on a mission and if Gasol can replicate his 10 finals performance they may have a chance.

BoutPractice
09-16-2012, 02:29 PM
They could've had a three peat, but it's not like they underachieved due to their own fault. Their longevity was much better than expected (they even got close to winning in 2012) thanks to the emergence of Rajon Rondo, so they deserve an A+ overall.

KG215
09-16-2012, 02:46 PM
As soon as they won it all in 2008 the grade was set an A+ and it was going to take something drastic to bring it down to a B.

You have to remember, when they teamed up that summer, people were already thinking they were already at the tail end of their prime. They probably had a 2ish year window to get a ring. That was the thinking at the time. Rondo's emergence certainly extended that window a bit but, in the summer of 2007, I think most thought they had a two maybe three year window to get a ring.

This is the at the extreme end of the positive, but they were a Kevin Garnett injury in 2009 and Kendrick Perkins injury in 2010 from a possible 3-peat. Not sure they win all three years but you can realistically say they might win two in three years. If you want to say injuries are part of the game and bring their grade down because of that, fine. I just can't do that.

Their unexpected ECF run to a game seven in 2012 definitely strengthens their overall resume. I'd say they get an A or A- at worst.

Money 23
09-16-2012, 03:16 PM
As soon as they won it all in 2008 the grade was set an A+ and it was going to take something drastic to bring it down to a B.

You have to remember, when they teamed up that summer, people were already thinking they were already at the tail end of their prime. They probably had a 2ish year window to get a ring. That was the thinking at the time. Rondo's emergence certainly extended that window a bit but, in the summer of 2007, I think most thought they had a two maybe three year window to get a ring.

This is the at the extreme end of the positive, but they were a Kevin Garnett injury in 2009 and Kendrick Perkins injury in 2010 from a possible 3-peat. Not sure they win all three years but you can realistically say they might win two in three years. If you want to say injuries are part of the game and bring their grade down because of that, fine. I just can't do that.

Their unexpected ECF run to a game seven in 2012 definitely strengthens their overall resume. I'd say they get an A or A- at worst.
Excellent post.

It was the best team I had seen since the early 2000's Lakers.

It's such a shame injuries held them back. I think they were the best team in 2009 pre KG's injury by quite a bit. They showed major resiliency being so effective in 2011 and 2012 which brings their letter grade back up.

Cone
09-16-2012, 03:32 PM
Pierce: A+, obvious team leader. Would be nowhere without him.
Allen: B+, numerous clutch shots. Stepped up when needed.
KG: C+, just rode along with Pierce and Allen. Good defense. Always injured. Choked in 2010, non existent in 08.

A- overall. Thanks to PP and Doc

TheMarkMadsen
09-16-2012, 03:52 PM
KG: C+, just rode along with Pierce and Allen. Good defense. Always injured. Choked in 2010, non existent in 08.

:facepalm KG was the anchor of their defense & the heart & soul of their team.

If he's healthy in 09 they make the finals.

Without KG the Celtics don't win a damn thing & probrably get bounced in the first round by the Hawks in 09

KLovin
09-16-2012, 03:54 PM

:roll: :roll: :roll:

fpliii
09-16-2012, 04:01 PM

:wtf:

triangleoffense
09-16-2012, 04:07 PM

Good post, the majority of what you said is true. The only reason I might give them an A- is just because of all the injuries, considering that they win a hypothetical finals series against OKC the celtics would essentially be 2 games away from having 3 championships since 2008. (1 game away against the Lakers in 2010 and Heat in 2012)

DJ Leon Smith
09-16-2012, 04:26 PM
They won a title against the odds (check the predictions before the 2008 NBA Finals). A at the least, probably A+.

Unless you're Kobe, then you can give them an F. I mean, you could have had the 2008 championship if it wasn't for that 24 point half-time lead at home you gave up and the 39-point deciding game. Don't worry though, you're still better than Jordan/Magic/Russell/Shaq/Wilt/Bird/West.

KG215
09-16-2012, 04:31 PM

Anchoring an all-time great defense is being non-existent? Come on man. If you're going to create a troll account for the sole purpose of hating on one player, at least try to make posts that aren't bullshit and lies.

CeltsGarlic
09-16-2012, 04:46 PM
Anchoring an all-time great defense is being non-existent? Come on man. If you're going to create a troll account for the sole purpose of hating on one player, at least try to make posts that aren't bullshit and lies.

Dude, why are you replying?

9erempiree
09-16-2012, 04:50 PM
More like the Big 3 Failed Lead Dogs.

So they had to join together.

For their efforts I would say it's average. C+ B-

JohnnySic
09-16-2012, 04:51 PM
Ray Allen had been replaced by Rondo in the "big 3" before he left, so in a way its not over...

kNicKz
09-16-2012, 04:53 PM
the Big 3 Failed

http://www.joeybaer.com/2008/celtics.jpg

AK47DR91
09-16-2012, 05:02 PM
A for basketball impact, could have been A+ if they won the chip in 2010.

But they do get an A+ for beyond the court impact. Nobody has really mentioned this but the Big 3 Celtics really brought back the basketball media and fans attention back to the East coast. Something that was missing since the Jordan, Ewing-Knicks and Miller days. New York, Boston, Chicago, etc, all these big Eastern/Central cities that love the NBA didn't have much to root on or jeered against. The 2000's Pistons were a great squad but they weren't bringing in ratings or coverage. LeBron was great in Cleveland but he was just 1 player, and still very young at the time. The NBA was pretty much Western Conf. lure from 1999-2007 with Shaq, Kobe, Duncan, Spurs, Kings, Blazers, Suns and Mavs.

Look at the effect the Big 3 had on the Eastern Conference. The 2009 Celtics-Bulls series and Coach Thibs help brought Chicago basketball back into the spotlight that they didn't have since Phil, Jordan and Pippen left. Though, D-Rose deserves a most of the credit for Chicago's return but that series really gave the Bulls confidence to build a stronger team. Miami and New York started building their own Big 3. The Knicks being relevant since 2001 was huge.

Thanks to the Big 3 for bringing excitement basketball back to the Eastcoast. :cheers:

fpliii
09-16-2012, 05:04 PM
Ray Allen had been replaced by Rondo in the "big 3" before he left, so in a way its not over...

perhaps, but it's a different core

KG will always be able to contribute (anchoring defense), but Pierce looks to be seriously declining (brutal in the semis and ECF, pretty bad against Atlanta too)

MisterAmazing
09-16-2012, 05:05 PM

ALL this :applause: :applause:

DuMa
09-16-2012, 05:07 PM
injuries to KG killed their chances of getting the 3peat in 2009.

Smoke117
09-16-2012, 05:10 PM

I'm a Celtic fan and it's not really a big three anymore either way. KG isn't really going to do anything through out the the regular season, and Pierce just gets slower and slower each year and to get to the finals you have to go through Miami which means he has to match up with Lebron and this isn't 2008 anymore so that is a brutal match up for them.

I give them an A-. All this Kobe was on a mission bullshit in 2009 is just that bullshit. Before KG was hurt the Celtics were pretty easily the best team in the league. Ray had fully recovered from his ankle surgeries, KG was KG, paul was paul, Rondo was developing along nicely, and so was perkins. They were beating down the league before KG hurt his knee and on their way to a repeat. Kevin was never even fully recovered and they managed to make it to the finals in 2010, so who knows what could have happened if he had never gotten hurt in the first place. An actual threepeat would not have been out of the picture.

JohnnySic
09-16-2012, 05:55 PM
A for basketball impact, could have been A+ if they won the chip in 2010.

But they do get an A+ for beyond the court impact. Nobody has really mentioned this but the Big 3 Celtics really brought back the basketball media and fans attention back to the East coast. Something that was missing since the Jordan, Ewing-Knicks and Miller days. New York, Boston, Chicago, etc, all these big Eastern/Central cities that love the NBA didn't have much to root on or jeered against. The 2000's Pistons were a great squad but they weren't bringing in ratings or coverage. LeBron was great in Cleveland but he was just 1 player, and still very young at the time. The NBA was pretty much Western Conf. lure from 1999-2007 with Shaq, Kobe, Duncan, Sours, Kings, Blazers, Suns and Mavs.

Look at the effect the Big 3 had on the Eastern Conference. The 2009 Celtics-Bulls series and Coach Thibs help brought Chicago basketball back into the spotlight that they didn't have since Phil, Jordan and Pippen left. Though, D-Rose deserves a most of the credit for Chicago's return but that series really gave the Bulls confidence to build a stronger team. Miami and New York started building their own Big 3. The Knicks being relevant since 2001 was huge.

Thanks to the Big 3 for bringing excitement basketball back to the Eastcoast. :cheers:
Good post.

Owl
09-16-2012, 06:11 PM
They get an A as far as I'm concerned.

First year together they were dominant despite many teams taking time to gel after such a significant shake up. Then I would say healthy they would be favoured to win a second title. Very good performance since I think I recall Bill Simmons saying they had a 2 year window. In the third year they weren't at the same level but still made a finals and were close in the seventh game, though they were outscored by 24 over the series.

9erempiree
09-16-2012, 06:19 PM
injuries to KG killed their chances of getting the 3peat in 2009.

LOL

What 3peat? Even if they were healthy they still lost in game 7 against the Lakers the following year.

ballup
09-16-2012, 06:39 PM
LOL

What 3peat? Even if they were healthy they still lost in game 7 against the Lakers the following year.
KG wasn't even at his current health state, which is better than the one he was in during that Finals series.

Raz
09-16-2012, 06:40 PM

Welcome to ignore.

KG215
09-16-2012, 06:56 PM
More like the Big 3 Failed Lead Dogs.

So they had to join together.

For their efforts I would say it's average. C+ B-

Do you ever get tired of making incredibly stupid posts?

D.J.
09-16-2012, 07:17 PM
A. Back in 2007, they were 32/31/30. They had a 2-3 year window at best at the time. They managed a 5 year window while reaching game 7 of the ECF in year 5. Their longevity most certainly exceeded expectations. In 5 years, they reached the Finals twice while winning once. They also reached game 7 of the ECF in another season. The expectation was to win a ring and they did exactly that. They should have 2, but you can't hold that against them.

Y2Gezee
09-16-2012, 07:30 PM
They get an A. I know expectations, was that they'd have a 2 year window to win it all, but they exceeded that in large due to Rondo's emergence.

They were a favorite to win the championship every year since they started except for last season IMO. But key injuries during playoffs prevented a second championship, including Rondo's elbow injury in Miami series (which hasn't been brought up).

I still feel as if their window has closed (the Celtics, not the big 3 as Allen is gone). I know they've implemented youth, but will rely heavily on KG, PP, and even JET...and they're O L D. Good enough to upset anyone, but would take a Dallas Maverick type/ 2006 Miami Heat type effort to get it done...and I don't think Rondo has it in him.

Boston C's
09-16-2012, 08:23 PM
They get an A in my book...all fulfilled their roles that were assigned to them when coming together...what i hate is when ppl say how they "teamed up" Ray and K.G were traded to boston...ray was traded against his will...when ray was traded to boston he was upset because he wanted to help mold durant into a great player while k.g was traded for a shitload of players...so the whole "they teamed up" thing really doesn't apply for them

poido123
09-16-2012, 08:40 PM
Although Ray Ray has moved on, I still think the Big 3 era is still very much alive, just replacing Rondo with Allen. This years team looks very strong, stronger than any version the Celtics have had since the Big 3 got together, and they were one game 7 away last year from the finals with a hobbling Allen.
Many here on ISH are sleeping on the Celtics, but Rondo is in his prime, KG seems to have recovered from injury last year and back to his best despite his age. Pierce's decline is the only concern, but they have acquired some decent players in Lee, Terry and Green who will be back from injury and a huge boost to this squad. NTM,avery bradley who was injured too.
Can't believe your getting 23-1 odds for Celtics to win championship here in australia, there are really only about 6 contenders for the title this year and Celtics IMO is one of them.

Joshumitsu
09-16-2012, 08:51 PM
A.

Everyone knew they were short term. Most people were only giving them 2-3 years tops. To last 4 (and maybe more) years w/ high level basketball, I think they slightly exceeded people's expectations.

Plus, they got 2 finals appearances and one championship. They brought back the Celtics.

That is enough for an A in my book.

Donnybrook
09-16-2012, 11:26 PM
A.

Everyone knew they were short term. Most people were only giving them 2-3 years tops. To last 4 (and maybe more) years w/ high level basketball, I think they slightly exceeded people's expectations.

Plus, they got 2 finals appearances and one championship. They brought back the Celtics.

That is enough for an A in my book.

I can certainly agree with this. :applause:

DirtySanchez
09-17-2012, 02:03 AM
A-

2008 was a great team...09 KG injury hurt them. But everyone thought they were done in 2010 and they took the Lakers to 7. They had great teams...we saw the emergence of Rondo as well.

I will not be surprised if this team shocked it next year and took out the Heat.

Bandito
09-17-2012, 02:25 AM
A-

2008 was a great team...09 KG injury hurt them. But everyone thought they were done in 2010 and they took the Lakers to 7. They had great teams...we saw the emergence of Rondo as well.

I will not be surprised if this team shocked it next year and took out the Heat.
They were a Perkins injury of winning it all. I was rooting against them because I wanted Kobe to finish it clean. But meh, injuries happen; Celtics :bowdown:

Money 23
09-17-2012, 03:00 AM
That 2009 team would've won that ring with KG playing at the level he was before his injury in January.

That was the same year Rondo kicked it up to a higher gear. I don't see them losing at all to LA with a healthy Garnett.

I honestly don't think that injury to Perk in 2010 is as big of a deal as people make it out to be. He didn't provide THAT much for that team.

KG215
09-17-2012, 03:29 AM
That 2009 team would've won that ring with KG playing at the level he was before his injury in January.

That was the same year Rondo kicked it up to a higher gear. I don't see them losing at all to LA with a healthy Garnett.

I honestly don't think that injury to Perk in 2010 is as big of a deal as people make it out to be. He didn't provide THAT much for that team.

Yeah, they got off to a really good start. They went 18-2 in the first month and got off to a historically great start in their first 30 games with a 27-3 record including a 19 game win streak. Lost four in a row towards the end of December then reeled off a 12 game win streak. They were 44-12 before Garnett got hurt. The Lakers were 44-10 and the Cavs were 41-11 at the same point. The Celtics were on their way to another 65ish win season and they were looking really good.

rmt
09-17-2012, 03:38 AM
I'd give them an A- as they accomplished their goal of winning a championship. Actually they were similar in result to the Piston of the mid 00s - a powerhouse for many years in the East, a championship and a loss in game 7 the following year.

Dragonyeuw
09-17-2012, 08:07 AM
2008: Championship
2009: ECF
2010: Finals
2011: Second round
2012: ECF

Just the fact that they won a championship in their first season together qualifies them in my mind for an A. Another championship was very possible if KG wasn't plagued by injuries for 2+ seasons. Last year's KG on the 2010 team could have very well been the difference between losing and winning the 2010 finals.

sipitri
09-17-2012, 08:09 AM
A.
Regardless of the accomplishmets they were a joy to watch. (Celtics as a whole in the big 3 era)

Collie
09-18-2012, 04:03 AM
The fact that they won a title gives them an A+ for me. They won a championship their first year together, something which NEVER happens ever (See Miami, Houston 90's, Wilt/West/Baylor, etc.).

I don't see their subsequent years as disappointments, but actually over achievements. How many expected them to even go deep in '10, let alone get within a win of a second title?

Great era, great team. Mission accomplished for Boston.

TheFan
09-19-2012, 04:47 PM
B+
The A+ scenario would have been a 3peat.
They won 1 title.. that IMO, it is a C+ scenario. but considering injuries.. i give them a B+

lilgodfather1
09-19-2012, 04:57 PM
I expected them to win two titles, and while they fell short it wasn't by much. One game... I was very happy to see Ray Allen win a title, as I always loved him, and KG while a dirty, disrespectful player imo was still a beast. Never liked Pierce the player, but I respected him for what he had to do night in and night out against the premiere players in the leauge. They underachieved in the title count imo, but they long overachieved in the title contention category. I figured they would have at most 3 years in title contention, and then fall off a cliff, but they didn't obviously. Overall i'd say a solid B+.

swi7ch
09-19-2012, 05:03 PM
B+

Good but only good enough for one title.

LA Lakers
09-20-2012, 03:35 AM
A- and nothing less. They made it to 2 finals. Got 1 ring. Great Coach in Doc, too.

KG215
09-20-2012, 03:50 AM
B+

Good but only good enough for one title.
I wouldn't say they were "only good enough" for one title. They just suffered some really untimely injuries to key pieces.

Not to mention "only" one title is nothing to scoff at. They outlived their expected shelf life and got to a game 7 in the ECF in a year most people assumed they'd be too old to compete.

Jacks3
09-20-2012, 03:55 AM
Three all-stars team up in their prime and only get 1 ring. Not impressed.

C+.

KG215
09-20-2012, 03:58 AM
Three all-stars team up in their prime and only get 1 ring. Not impressed.

C+.

They weren't really in their prime anymore by 2009 or 2010; and like I said, them only getting one title had more to do with untimely injuries than them underachieving and/or not living up to expectations.