PDA

View Full Version : Pau Gasol vs. Chris Webber

IGOTGAME
09-16-2012, 02:35 PM
Who was the better player? Ranked higher?

Both were supremely skilled and played on very good teams. One was a first option while the other was a number 2. One has multiple rings.

L.Kizzle
09-16-2012, 02:37 PM
Is this real life?

StateOfMind12
09-16-2012, 02:46 PM
I'll take Gasol. Webber was just blessed playing on those stacked Kings teams. Neither could win as a 1st option but Gasol was a much better 2nd/3rd option than Webber would ever be.

L.Kizzle
09-16-2012, 02:53 PM
I'll take Gasol. Webber was just blessed playing on those stacked Kings teams. Neither could win as a 1st option but Gasol was a much better 2nd/3rd option than Webber would ever be.
Webber also led a pretty bad Bullets team to the playoffs for the first time in years.

And lol at Webber being blessed, but not Gasol being gift wrapped to the Lake Show. Lol at Webber's teams being stacked. Not like he was playing with perennial All-Stars like Gasol with LA. Peja was decent, but he's no different from Rashard Lewis.

Gasol couldn't win at least one game in Memphis, not one.

StateOfMind12
09-16-2012, 03:01 PM
Webber also led a pretty bad Bullets team to the playoffs for the first time in years.
Those Bullets teams were decent though. He had Juwan Howard, Rod Strickland, etc. It was just like Gasol's Grizzlies.

He never won a playoff game with the Bullets either and he only made the post-season with the Bullets twice.

I fail to see how what he did in Washington was any different than what Gasol did with the Grizzlies.

And lol at Webber being blessed, but not Gasol being gift wrapped to the Lake Show. Lol at Webber's teams being stacked. Not like he was playing with perennial All-Stars like Gasol with LA. Peja was decent, but he's no different from Rashard Lewis.

Besides Kobe, who was Gasol playing with during those championship years (09-10) ? Odom was not an all-star and neither was Bynum.

Webber's teams were stacked. There is a reason why the Kings continued to play well even when he was injured. It was because he wasn't that important nor that good.

Knicksfever2010
09-16-2012, 03:05 PM

'stacked teams'? when did weber ever play with the best player in the leauge or 2nd best player in the league?

*weber was the #1 guy in sac., when was gasol ever the #1 guy in l.a.?

L.Kizzle
09-16-2012, 03:10 PM
Those Bullets teams were decent though. He had Juwan Howard, Rod Strickland, etc. It was just like Gasol's Grizzlies.

He never won a playoff game with the Bullets either and he only made the post-season with the Bullets twice.

I fail to see how what he did in Washington was any different than what Gasol did with the Grizzlies.

Besides Kobe, who was Gasol playing with during those championship years (09-10) ? Odom was not an all-star and neither was Bynum.

Webber's teams were stacked. There is a reason why the Kings continued to play well even when he was injured. It was because he wasn't that important nor that good.
I watched both players career, Webber since back in the Bullet days and Gasol from a rookie dunking om KG.

While I do agree Gasol was underrated as a Grizzly, he was never put on the same level as Webber. Why, because he wasn't on his level. At Webber's best he was fighting with a prime Duncan and KG as the top PF and was above Dirk.

http://cdn2.sbnation.com/imported_assets/1087777/p-491859-kevin-garnett-chris-webber-dirk-nowitzki-tim-duncan-kobe-bryant-may-2002-insid-hc-lt2a7js1hs_medium.jpg

Don't know why Kobe is there, but those were the premier PF's 1999-2005.

Even now, Gasol is not considered the best PF in the game and Webber is gone and Dirk, KG and Duncan are all old.

Whoah10115
09-16-2012, 03:11 PM
It's Chris Webber. People may have preferences, but it's clearly Chris Webber.

StateOfMind12
09-16-2012, 03:13 PM
]Even now, Gasol is not considered the best PF in the game and Webber is gone and Dirk, KG and Duncan are all old.
Most people had him in the conversation in 2009 and 2010 though. 2010 I would say most people considered Gasol the best especially since Dirk was underrated before the championship.

Anyways, I'll take Gasol since he is the better 2nd/3rd option since I know I won't get anywhere with Webber as the 1st option. I know I won't get anywhere with Gasol as the 1st option either but I like my chances with him as a sidekick.

magic chiongson
09-16-2012, 03:15 PM
webber was a legit mvp candidate when shaq, duncan, garnett,kobe were at their primes

Swaggin916
09-16-2012, 03:17 PM
Statistics wise you would have to take Webber but I just would rather have Gasol. He's just a more efficient player.

c3z4r
09-16-2012, 03:17 PM

Not like he was playing with perennial All-Stars like Gasol with LA. Peja was decent, but he's no different from Rashard Lewis.

I don't remember rashard lewis being fourth in Mvp voting in his career, maybe you can refresh my memory on that. Peja was an absolutely amazing scorer, very similar to michael redd, maybe even better, he just choked incredibly hard in the playoffs.

Apart from peja, webber had an absolutely stacked team, which included mike bibby, a more than decent starter pg on any team, doug christie, a very very good defensive player, vlade divac a starting center on almost any team in the league, bobby jackson, 6 man of the year, rookie gerald wallace, sophomore hedo turkoglu, and scott pollard, a very good backup C and even starter on some teams.

CavaliersFTW
09-16-2012, 03:20 PM
I watched both players career, Webber since back in the Bullet days and Gasol from a rookie dunking om KG.

While I do agree Gasol was underrated as a Grizzly, he was never put on the same level as Webber. Why, because he wasn't on his level. At Webber's best he was fighting with a prime Duncan and KG as the top PF and was above Dirk.

http://cdn2.sbnation.com/imported_assets/1087777/p-491859-kevin-garnett-chris-webber-dirk-nowitzki-tim-duncan-kobe-bryant-may-2002-insid-hc-lt2a7js1hs_medium.jpg

Don't know why Kobe is there, but those were the premier PF's 1999-2005.

Even now, Gasol is not considered the best PF in the game and Webber is gone and Dirk, KG and Duncan are all old.
Kobe's shoes :roll:

TaLvsCuaL
09-16-2012, 03:24 PM
I'm a huge Gasol fan but I think Chris was slightly better. Anyway Gasol is a great player, terribly underrated here. Specially as defender.

L.Kizzle
09-16-2012, 03:24 PM
I don't remember rashard lewis being fourth in Mvp voting in his career, maybe you can refresh my memory on that. Peja was an absolutely amazing scorer, very similar to michael redd, maybe even better, he just choked incredibly hard in the playoffs.

Apart from peja, webber had an absolutely stacked team, which included mike bibby, a more than decent starter pg on any team, doug christie, a very very good defensive player, vlade divac a starting center on almost any team in the league, bobby jackson, 6 man of the year, rookie gerald wallace, sophomore hedo turkoglu, and scott pollard, a very good backup C and even starter on some teams.
That was obviously a fluke season. Webber missed 1/3 of the season but came back for Playoffs but was obviously not the same.
Him gettin fourth in MVP doesn't make him that much better than Shard Lewis? Call me when Peja drops 50 in a game.

MiamiThrice
09-16-2012, 03:26 PM
It's Pau Gasol. Webber was always soft that shrunk in big time moments. He had some super talented supporting casts as well, but never came through. There's a reason why a Chris Webber team never got to the Finals, yet Pau Gasol was the best player in the 2010 Finals winning his team the NBA championship. Pau is just a bigger presence inside and plays closer to the basket both offensively and defensively which is a recipe for success.

magictricked
09-16-2012, 03:30 PM
Statistics wise you would have to take Webber but I just would rather have Gasol. He's just a more efficient player.This. Gasol is a more complete player IMO, smart too.

Webber was a great player but I'd go with Gasol.

Segatti
09-16-2012, 03:33 PM
You guys overrated Pau Gasol a lot. He is very good, but almost every all star big man would win two rings sided with the greatest player of his era.

Rubio2Gasol
09-16-2012, 03:33 PM
Weber is better.

But I don't know why you're trolling Peja to prove it.

mariodeathgrip
09-16-2012, 04:08 PM
Gasol is a soft b!tch!! Weber played with heart!! Gasol got lucky because jerry west gave him over to la!! Knowing marc Gasol had more love for the game!!

P.s. weber had a weak soft supporting cast couldn't caring them!!

kNicKz
09-16-2012, 04:45 PM
how is this even a debate? webber shits all over gasol

Smoke117
09-16-2012, 05:11 PM
I'll take Pau Gasol. Webber is overrated and always thought he was a much better scorer than he really was. This is one of those things where you wish Pau Gasol had an ego like Webber because he certainly had the much better game that's for sure.

fsvr54
09-16-2012, 06:32 PM
:biggums:

Chris Webber was better, and never even reached his potential

ispin69
09-16-2012, 06:50 PM
Would you like Pau Gasol as much if he stayed a Memphis Grizzlies?
I'll take Chris Webber all day. He never had a legit team (bibby/christie/white chocolate? all sucked, divac super flopper) He was a legit opponent to Shaq. He could have dominated.

Back to Back 50+pt games.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AvZzSrVTIRM

ispin69
09-16-2012, 06:54 PM
Also Kings could have gone ALL THE WAY if it wasn't for REFBALL. The cheating ref even ref'd that game.

swi7ch
09-16-2012, 06:55 PM
CWebb > Pau

dyna
09-16-2012, 07:03 PM
Webber

JohnnySic
09-16-2012, 07:05 PM
Webber; different caliber player. Webber is in the conversation with Duncan, Garnett, Dirk. Pau isn't.

alwaysunny
09-16-2012, 07:05 PM
Neither could win as a 1st option

LOL WHAT? Webber-led Kings were supposed to beat prime Shaq-led defending champions who lost only 1 game in the playoffs the year before. (who went on to 3 peat mind you)

GTFO. Webber > Gasol and it's not even close.

D.J.
09-16-2012, 07:11 PM
Who was the better player?

Webber was clearly the more skilled of the two.

Ranked higher?

Webber, but it's very close.

Both were supremely skilled and played on very good teams.

Webber was clearly the more skilled of the two.

One was a first option while the other was a number 2.

And neither was winning anything as the #1 option.

To summarize, both are elite #2 options, but not winning a damn thing as the #1 option. Webber was the superior scorer, better rebounder, and was more skilled. Pau is the better defender. I'd rather have Pau, but Webber is ranked higher.

StateOfMind12
09-16-2012, 07:41 PM
LOL WHAT? Webber-led Kings were supposed to beat prime Shaq-led defending champions who lost only 1 game in the playoffs the year before. (who went on to 3 peat mind you)

GTFO. Webber > Gasol and it's not even close.
Again, those Kings teams were stacked.

It's not like Webber was playing with the 09 and 10 Cavs or something.

If you replace Webber with Gasol, Gasol would be the best player on those Kings teams too but I don't think the Kings go any further with Gasol than they do with Webber though. I think they do the same.

L.Kizzle
09-16-2012, 07:42 PM
Again, those Kings teams were stacked.

It's not like Webber was playing with the 09 and 10 Cavs or something.

If you replace Webber with Gasol, Gasol would be the best player on those Kings teams too but I don't think the Kings go any further with Gasol than they do with Webber though. I think they do the same.
Would the Kings even get passed Dallas with Gasol for Webber?

Rubio2Gasol
09-16-2012, 07:45 PM
I think Pau would be a slightly better fit for that Kings team which just happens to be my favorite team of all time.

I don't think they would neccessarily be better , but Pau's skillset applied to that Philosophy would be a great match.

Was hoping to see it this year with Minesota.

Y U NO TRADE KEVIN LOVE.

Money 23
09-16-2012, 07:51 PM
Easily Chris Webber, and this isn't even close.

StateOfMind12
09-16-2012, 07:53 PM
Would the Kings even get passed Dallas with Gasol for Webber?
I really don't see why not. I don't think there are many aspects Webber was better than Gasol in. Webber was a worse scorer than the numbers showed.

If there is any big man of 2000s that I can think of that was softer than Gasol, it was Webber.

L.Kizzle
09-16-2012, 07:55 PM
I really don't see why not. I don't think there are many aspects Webber was better than Gasol in. Webber was a worse scorer than the numbers showed.

If there is any big man of 2000s that I can think of that was softer than Gasol, it was Webber.
Dirk? Just cause he won a championship doesn't take away his soft title.

kNicKz
09-16-2012, 07:59 PM
Just cause he won a championship doesn't take away his soft title.

http://mavsmag.com/redirk/wp-content/uploads/2011/06/258027_522846740410_162900200_30684324_6201276_o-500x373.jpg

so soft

L.Kizzle
09-16-2012, 08:01 PM
http://mavsmag.com/redirk/wp-content/uploads/2011/06/258027_522846740410_162900200_30684324_6201276_o-500x373.jpg

so soft
What does this have to do with him being soft or not?

kNicKz
09-16-2012, 08:03 PM
What does this have to do with him being soft or not?

Uhh, shutting down the best player on earth maybe and scraping the defending champs in the playoffs?

:facepalm

kNicKz
09-16-2012, 08:05 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QEECwgdigZY

calling this dude soft....smh

L.Kizzle
09-16-2012, 08:08 PM
Yeah he soft. Doesn't mean he's not a great player. Not sure where you're goin with this.

kNicKz
09-16-2012, 08:11 PM
Yeah he soft. Doesn't mean he's not a great player. Not sure where you're goin with this.

Did you watch the video? elbowing and creating space, dunking in traffic, mouthpiece 3 pointers, I'm sure you're a very tough man but damn bro :roll:

L.Kizzle
09-16-2012, 08:15 PM
Did you watch the video? elbowing and creating space, dunking in traffic, mouthpiece 3 pointers, I'm sure you're a very tough man but damn bro :roll:
I don't need to watch the video, I've seen his whole career. I remember when Dirk was a rookie to getting snubbed of the all-star team for teammate Mike Finley to upsetting the Jazz to beating the Spurs to get to the Finals to losing to the 8th seed Warriors to David West giving him the finger-face to winning the NBA Championship.

He may have toughened up when he first started, but he's know Charles Oakley.

IGOTGAME
09-16-2012, 08:35 PM
People do realize how mentally weak Pau has been the majority of his career. Just because he is slightly tougher after playoff wars and Kobe screaming at him doesn't change how he was the majority of his career.Phil Jackson was so frustratedwith his lack of toughness he literally got up in Paus face and get in his chest.

People are really forgetting all the times Gasol ran from the ball in key situations. I'm not the biggest CWebb fan but for the majority of the time they played in the NBA it wasn't really that close. Gasoline has made only 4 all star teams. Just think about that.

wang4three
09-16-2012, 08:38 PM
Webber Webber Webber Webber. Webber did everything Gasol did, but better.

Smoke117
09-16-2012, 09:42 PM
Pau Gasol is a much more skilled player than Chris Webber. As far as scorers he is easily a better one because of that. The big difference is ego as I said before. Webber always had a huge ego and thought he was much better than he really was like his career high 27.1ppg season. That's impressive right? Averaging 27.1ppg over an entire season?...not much so when you realize it was on 23.4 shot attempts a game. Pau Gasol was a MUCH BETTER SCORER he just never took as many shots. His efficiency is far superior. Webber is the better rebounder but not by so much that it is really relevant. He's a better passer/play maker and one of the best at the PF position, so he has that going for him, but Gasol is no slouch in that department himself. Defensively it's about a wash. Really it boils down to the fact that Webber was more of a selfish ego driven player who thought he was a much better scorer than he really was and Gasol is frankly too humble for the skills he does have. One guy shot way too much...and the other doesn't enough as Gasol is a far superior scorer than Webber as far as talent and skill, but he has just never jacked up shots like Webber did.

TaLvsCuaL
09-16-2012, 09:43 PM
People do realize how mentally weak Pau has been the majority of his career. Just because he is slightly tougher after playoff wars and Kobe screaming at him doesn't change how he was the majority of his career.Phil Jackson was so frustratedwith his lack of toughness he literally got up in Paus face and get in his chest.

People are really forgetting all the times Gasol ran from the ball in key situations. I'm not the biggest CWebb fan but for the majority of the time they played in the NBA it wasn't really that close. Gasoline has made only 4 all star teams. Just think about that.

I disagree, Gasol is a leader. He has led the Spain national team to be the second best team in the world and the best in Europe by far during the last 10 years.

He's just a smart person, that fits what you are asked to do. When the Lakers asked him to take a step forward he did, and in my opinion was more decisive then Kobe in the second ring. But nobody thanked him properly and yet continued using him a scapegoat when the team did not work. It is quite clear that Pau has been unhappy with the Lakers in the last two years, white swan, black swan... blablabla... while the more serious problems were the Lakers perimeter defense and a ridiculously short bench.

Gasol is a great player, and incredibly underrated, especially by those who refer to themselves as Lakers fans, but they really are just Kobe stans. Not saying it's your case.

gilalizard
09-16-2012, 10:37 PM
Webber's teams were stacked.

lol no

LeBron on the Heat is stacked

Webber had a damn good team, but it was not even close to "stacked".

NewYorkNoPicks
09-16-2012, 10:44 PM
Are we really having this discussion?

I really cant stand some of these young dudes sometimes...

If you never saw C-Webb play then you shouldnt be commenting.

Webber is one of the most talented big men of all time. There are few big men in NBA history who had the court vision and passing skills he posessed. He was a guy who could hit the 20 footer, face up and take his man off the dribble, in the high post, low post, you name it. In his prime he was a better player than Garnett, except for the defensive aspect.

Pau Gasol is no where near Webbers level, hes a poor mans version of him. Pau Gasoft

TheBigVeto
09-16-2012, 11:40 PM
Gasol.

Webber is very talented but got no heart.

Bigsmoke
09-17-2012, 12:52 AM
lol no

LeBron on the Heat is stacked

Webber had a damn good team, but it was not even close to "stacked".

weren't the Kings 19-9 without Webber in 2002 and 44-15 without Webber in 2004?

stating that a team without its best player can go 44-15 but wasn't considered stacked sounds mad stupid...really REALLY stupid

dont tell me that Heat without LeBron can win 44 out of 59 games in the West

IGOTGAME
09-17-2012, 12:55 AM
weren't the Kings 19-9 without Webber in 2002 and 44-15 without Webber in 2004?

stating that a team without its best player can go 44-15 but wasn't considered stacked sounds mad stupid...really REALLY stupid

dont tell me that Heat without LeBron can win 44 out of 59 games in the West
Yea, they could. If everyone was healthy they could win a title without lebron.

Bigsmoke
09-17-2012, 01:01 AM
Yea, they could. If everyone was healthy they could win a title without lebron.

that only if they bring in someone like Tyson Chandler and Darren Collison.

theres no ****ing way the LeBron'less Heat team would go all the way with Joel Anthony or whoever have have starting at center like that.

Wade and Bosh themselves werent going to take down the Thunder. don't be slow

DKLaker
09-17-2012, 01:03 AM
webber was a legit mvp candidate when shaq, duncan, garnett,kobe were at their primes

That's why I'll take Webber

Bandito
09-17-2012, 02:20 AM
I disagree, Gasol is a leader. He has led the Spain national team to be the second best team in the world and the best in Europe by far during the last 10 years.

He's just a smart person, that fits what you are asked to do. When the Lakers asked him to take a step forward he did, and in my opinion was more decisive then Kobe in the second ring. But nobody thanked him properly and yet continued using him a scapegoat when the team did not work. It is quite clear that Pau has been unhappy with the Lakers in the last two years, white swan, black swan... blablabla... while the more serious problems were the Lakers perimeter defense and a ridiculously short bench.

Gasol is a great player, and incredibly underrated, especially by those who refer to themselves as Lakers fans, but they really are just Kobe stans. Not saying it's your case.
Its true what you said but Gasol is just big he's not particularly strong or athletic like Webber was back in the day. He's IQ is throught the roof though.

RaininTwos
09-17-2012, 03:32 AM
That's why I'll take Webber
That's why everyone should take webber, no disrespect to pau.

Hoopz2332
09-19-2012, 05:55 AM
Are we really having this discussion?

I really cant stand some of these young dudes sometimes...

If you never saw C-Webb play then you shouldnt be commenting.

Webber is one of the most talented big men of all time. There are few big men in NBA history who had the court vision and passing skills he posessed. He was a guy who could hit the 20 footer, face up and take his man off the dribble, in the high post, low post, you name it. In his prime he was a better player than Garnett, except for the defensive aspect.

Pau Gasol is no where near Webbers level, hes a poor mans version of him. Pau Gasoft

:applause:

SyRyanYang
09-19-2012, 06:14 AM
Webb is far better as #1 option. But as for 2nd/3rd option, I might pick pau. Great complementary player, like Pippen.

SHAQisGOAT
09-19-2012, 06:22 AM
Pau's got tremendous skill but I'll still take Webber.

ZaaaaaH
09-19-2012, 10:16 AM
Webb is far better as #1 option. But as for 2nd/3rd option, I might pick pau. Great complementary player, like Pippen.

Bingo !

mr beast
09-19-2012, 12:33 PM

if i recall correctly

Webber actually turned the kings around.......

he actually was very pissed about being traded to kings when it happened, he was very vocal about it which made some fans upset

nobody really knew anyone on the kings roster probably except Divacs and Webber until rest of the pieces started to shine through their notorious smooth offense

tpols
09-19-2012, 12:41 PM
Webber is twice the talent and competitor of pau. Gasol would be at vlade divacs level if he played in cwebbs era.. Just an average fundamentally sound skilled soft euro not even close to a superstar.

IGOTGAME
09-19-2012, 12:46 PM
Webber is twice the talent and competitor of pau. Gasol would be at vlade divacs level if he played in cwebbs era.. Just an average fundamentally sound skilled soft euro not even close to a superstar.

wow...lets lay off Vlade. Guy was a good player.

tpols
09-19-2012, 12:53 PM
wow...lets lay off Vlade. Guy was a good player.
Nowhere near cwebb though. All these euro guys are more skilled and generally better ball players than all of the American black athletes but they aren't physical or aggressive enough to dominate with their skill and iq.. It's a big fault in their games and mindsets. I think it's cuz they have more of a team mentality from playing with close knit teams in their home country that they don't feel comfortable demanding the ball and being agressaive like real nba superstar have to do.

get these NETS
09-19-2012, 02:04 PM
interesting topic

Webber is clearly the better player and talent

I can't think of a power forward with a better overall skillset than C-webb, now or ever....he was a polished version of prime Derrick Coleman

He almost single handedly turned the kings from clowns to contenders...and as was mentioned her played in a SUPERSTACKED conference against perhaps best talent at his position in modern era

Gasol is talented also but never did anything or win a playoff series or even a playoff GAME..I think....until he was paired with kobe...

longtime lurker
09-19-2012, 07:35 PM
Pau Gasol is a much more skilled player than Chris Webber. As far as scorers he is easily a better one because of that. The big difference is ego as I said before. Webber always had a huge ego and thought he was much better than he really was like his career high 27.1ppg season. That's impressive right? Averaging 27.1ppg over an entire season?...not much so when you realize it was on 23.4 shot attempts a game. Pau Gasol was a MUCH BETTER SCORER he just never took as many shots. His efficiency is far superior. Webber is the better rebounder but not by so much that it is really relevant. He's a better passer/play maker and one of the best at the PF position, so he has that going for him, but Gasol is no slouch in that department himself. Defensively it's about a wash. Really it boils down to the fact that Webber was more of a selfish ego driven player who thought he was a much better scorer than he really was and Gasol is frankly too humble for the skills he does have. One guy shot way too much...and the other doesn't enough as Gasol is a far superior scorer than Webber as far as talent and skill, but he has just never jacked up shots like Webber did.

:biggums: Wow you're wrong on just about every level