PDA

View Full Version : Michael Jordan, Scottie Pippen, & Ron Harper

1987_Lakers
09-17-2012, 01:19 AM
Has there ever been better perimeter defenders on one team as good as these guys?

IMO it was these 3 guys that really made Chicago's defense elite. Here you have 3 guys who are all 6 foot 6 or taller defending guards, small forwards and having not only the great size, but the quickness to stay with them. With Harper in the lineup, Chicago created alot of havac defensively. You had 3 guys in the starting lineup that could guard 3 positions, that is remarkable. Rodman made alot of All-Defensive teams with Chicago, but at that point he was past his prime defensively, he was good, but not elite, I think Harper should get more credit for Chicago's defense than Rodman, he really made their defense more versatile.

Chicago's interior defense was solid, Rodman was a solid post defender, but not much of a shot blocker, Longley was flat footed and not much of a rebounder, but still an ok defender. It was Chicago's perimeter defense that really made them elite.

Eric Cartman
09-17-2012, 01:39 AM
How about the 2004 Pistons perimeter D?

Bandito
09-17-2012, 02:14 AM
The Pistons had excellent post and perimeter D. They played great as a team and the main starters individual D was good at worst as I think all of them in their prime played excellent D.

G-train
09-17-2012, 02:27 AM
Has there ever been better perimeter defenders on one team as good as these guys?

IMO it was these 3 guys that really made Chicago's defense elite. Here you have 3 guys who are all 6 foot 6 or taller defending guards, small forwards and having not only the great size, but the quickness to stay with them. With Harper in the lineup, Chicago created alot of havac defensively. You had 3 guys in the starting lineup that could guard 3 positions, that is remarkable. Rodman made alot of All-Defensive teams with Chicago, but at that point he was past his prime defensively, he was good, but not elite, I think Harper should get more credit for Chicago's defense than Rodman, he really made their defense more versatile.

Chicago's interior defense was solid, Rodman was a solid post defender, but not much of a shot blocker, Longley was flat footed and not much of a rebounder, but still an ok defender. It was Chicago's perimeter defense that really made them elite.

Rodman was an elite defender with the Bulls, no question.
But I agree, Ron Harper's defence was instramental, and when he was shooting well they were unbeatable.

G-train
09-17-2012, 02:28 AM

Good but not Bulls good.

Harper/Pippen/Jordan
Billups/Hamilton/Prince

One has 2 of the best defenders ever in it, the other doesn't.

Bandito
09-17-2012, 02:40 AM
Good but not Bulls good.

Harper/Pippen/Jordan
Billups/Hamilton/Prince

One has 2 of the best defenders ever in it, the other doesn't.
Jordan and Pippen were not bad compared to Prince and Hamilton bro?:biggums:

G-train
09-17-2012, 02:47 AM
Jordan and Pippen were not bad compared to Prince and Hamilton bro?:biggums:

:biggums:

Money 23
09-17-2012, 02:50 AM
Dennis Rodman was still an elite defender. He just wasn't near as versatile as he was on the Pistons when he could defend guards and move quickly laterally. He could guard PFs like nobodies business. And even at time gave Shaq problems.

But yes, you're stating the obvious about what made the late 90's Bulls defense elite. MJ and Pippen, two of the best perimeter defenders of all-time, and a 6'6 PG / SG who could guard smalls and bigger guards, who was athletic yet had great footwork and technique and was blessed with very long arms.

They wreaked havoc on teams. Watch game 1 of the ECF in 1996 v.s. the Magic. Magic were up by like 25 or something, and the Bulls defense kicked into high gear and it was lights out. A thing of beauty to watch for the true fan of the game.

G-train
09-17-2012, 02:53 AM
Dennis Rodman was still an elite defender. He just wasn't near as versatile as he was on the Pistons when he could defend guards and move quickly laterally. He could guard PFs like nobodies business. And even at time gave Shaq problems.

Despite about 7 inches height difference and 60 pounds of weight difference, Rodman guarded Shaq one on one with no double teams (unheard of at time) and kept him to averages, which meant no open looks for Magic shooters and a total ass kicking wipe out sweep of teh number 2 seed in the 96 playoffs.

Money 23
09-17-2012, 02:56 AM
Despite about 7 inches height difference and 60 pounds of weight difference, Rodman guarded Shaq one on one with no double teams (unheard of at time) and kept him to averages, which meant no open looks for Magic shooters and a total ass kicking wipe out sweep of teh number 2 seed in the 96 playoffs.
Exactly. He did about as fine of a job on Shaq as you could do, especially considering the physical disadvantages.

Thank you for being able to actually remember his abilities on the Bulls.

:oldlol: @ Rodman not being an elite defender. Only time during the whole three peat where I saw Rodman at times get abused was from Kemp during the '96 Finals.

He wasn't a stationary player like Malone or even Shaq. He was young, athletic, and had springs in his legs.

G-train
09-17-2012, 02:56 AM
They wreaked havoc on teams. Watch game 1 of the ECF in 1996 v.s. the Magic. Magic were up by like 25 or something, and the Bulls defense kicked into high gear and it was lights out. A thing of beauty to watch for the true fan of the game.

bulls owned that game from the start I think.

Money 23
09-17-2012, 02:58 AM
bulls owned that game from the start I think.
:biggums:

Do I have it confused with game 2?

One of the games the Bulls were down by like 20 something to start the 2nd half.

KG215
09-17-2012, 03:05 AM
Yeah, the Bulls won game one by 38. Orlando had a 15 point halftime lead in game two.

Dragonyeuw
09-17-2012, 08:47 AM

True, that was an outstanding defensive job. Having said that, I don't think he'd have had the same kind of 'success' against 2000 Shaq. The mental skills by that point had caught up to the physical ones. Hypothetical, of course....

And on that note, having a tough, defensive-oriented power forward was probably the difference between Chicago winning and losing to the 1995 Magic. Jordan had some uncharacteristic errors in that series, but he played well enough that a Rodman or a Grant would have been a big difference. I think Jordan being 'unJordan-like' in 95 is a bit overstated; he played much better than he's given credit for.

pauk
09-17-2012, 08:57 AM
Its their versatility that was one of a kind...

4 guys that could defend 3 positions (Jordan, Pippen, Rodman & Harper)
&
2 guys that could defend 4-5 positions (Pippen & Rodman)

Raz
09-17-2012, 09:58 AM

Thomas, Dumars, Rodman were a pretty impressive trio.

Moncrief, Johnson and Pressey were a pretty good trio when they were on the court together.

At times the 93-94 Sonics played Payton, McMillan and Gill. That was a pretty tenacious group.

But yeah, Jordan, Pippen, and Harper were down right destructive.

bizil
09-17-2012, 02:31 PM
Ya u gotta give the Bulls the nod. Having three guys that can play or defend three positions is unheard of him. I could only imagine if Harper never got the injury bug early in his career. Harper at one time was a top tier SG in the L. And along with MJ and Drexler among the most versatile in that era.

DuMa
09-17-2012, 02:37 PM
great versatility on defense allowed them to trap and rotate like crazy without having mismatches.

the only other team that comes close today would be lebron, wade and battier

arifgokcen
09-17-2012, 04:21 PM
great versatility on defense allowed them to trap and rotate like crazy without having mismatches.

the only other team that comes close today would be lebron, wade and battier

I dont like that term.

Because wade ,as good as he is defensively, is just too short to defend SFs or battier to slow to defend PGs.They can switch but they still have mismatches.

That bulls team used to switch everything.

DuMa
09-17-2012, 04:25 PM
I dont like that term.

Because wade ,as good as he is defensively, is just too short to defend SFs or battier to slow to defend PGs.They can switch but they still have mismatches.

battier guards 2s, 3s, and 4s. very rare to see him guard PGs.
Wade is a bit short to guard 3s but its not a mismatch nightmare. like it or not, they are the only bunch to remind me of how versatile the repeat 3peat bulls were on the perimeter.

L.A. Jazz
09-17-2012, 05:56 PM
Harper at one time was a top tier SG in the L. And along with MJ and Drexler among the most versatile in that era.
that`s an important note. alltough Harper was no elite guard anymore, he could do more with the ball after stealing it, than guys like Bowen or Battier. so when the Bulls stole the ball, they had 2 all-time greats and a pretty good ball handler in Harper running the break.

i also liked Ron a lot with the Lakers a few years later. he made few mistakes, brought the ball up and defended well.

gasolina
09-17-2012, 06:11 PM
I dont like that term.

You can add to that that most guards in the 90's were generally shorter than 6'6. The Bulls D was just nightmare-ish.

You have to give Pippen credit as primary ball handler and the triangle offense. This made putting Pippen-Jordan-Harper on the floor possible.

j3lademaster
09-17-2012, 08:29 PM
And just as athletic, and was a mid 20 ppg scorer before injuries.

Can you imagine having to try and dribble as a guard with those three guys running around you?

I can only imagine the frustration.

Even worse was my proposed idea for that 1996 Team USA squad that could've been.

GP / MJ / Pippen ... with Shaq / D-Rob or Hakeem guarding the rim.

:(

Pshhhh, I would rain on that defense.

*Viciously dunks foam basketball into Nerf hoop.

Collie
09-18-2012, 03:57 AM
Bulls Rodman was primarily a low post defender. He couldn't really handle the athletic explosive perimeter players anymore unlike the Detroit Rodman could (in stretches maybe).

BIG FURB
09-18-2012, 09:29 AM
Bulls Rodman was primarily a low post defender. He couldn't really handle the athletic explosive perimeter players anymore unlike the Detroit Rodman could (in stretches maybe).

I wouldn't say he couldn't, he was probably still more than capable, but he didn't really have to. There were 3 great perimeter defenders on that team, they were hardly ever in a position where they needed to stick Dennis on a wing

swi7ch
09-18-2012, 09:55 AM
GOAT team

There's a reason only 9 teams were able to beat them in '96 (I know it was 10 but PHil rest his starters on that final game of the regular season which gave them their 10th loss).

97 bulls
09-18-2012, 10:06 AM
I wouldn't say he couldn't, he was probably still more than capable, but he didn't really have to. There were 3 great perimeter defenders on that team, they were hardly ever in a position where they needed to stick Dennis on a wing
Exactly. Didnt Phil Jacksson call Rodman the greatest athlete he'd ever seen? And that was counting Jordan and Pippen

Money 23
09-18-2012, 04:12 PM
There's a reason only 9 teams were able to beat them in '96 (I know it was 10 but PHil rest his starters on that final game of the regular season which gave them their 10th loss).
Bulls actually should have won 3 more games that they lost in ridiculously close stupid fashion. I think to Phoneix, expansion Toronto, and Denver I believe. For all intensive purposes they should have been closer to 75 win total.

Bigsmoke
09-18-2012, 04:15 PM

Rip's defense wasnt anything special

below average if anything.

SHAQisGOAT
09-18-2012, 04:30 PM
Agreed. Amazing defensive trio, add Rodman to the equation also. Harper also gets underrated on that note, he was the one guarding the best scoring PG/SG in the 2nd 3peat.

Others that come to mind (when they played at the same time) are:
Isiah/Dumars/Rodman
White/Chaney/Havlicek
Gus Williams/DJ/John Johnson
Pressey/Moncrief/Marques
Cooper/Scott/Worthy
Cheeks/Erving/Bobby Jones
Payton/Gill/McMillan
Henderson/DJ/Bird (with the great help D)
also Wade/LeBron/Battier is pretty good