PDA

View Full Version : Which one is worse, getting your ankles broke and falling down or getting dunked on?

longhornfan1234
09-19-2012, 09:40 PM
It's tough for me.

SevereUpInHere
09-19-2012, 09:45 PM
I've never been dunked on and I imagine it would stick with me much longer than being crossed. Getting crossed is going to happen eventually playing the point like I used to. No biggie.

CarlosBoozer
09-19-2012, 09:46 PM
Ankles for me, especially if the guy swishes the shot.

swi7ch
09-19-2012, 09:49 PM
Both---getting dunked on and then falling down 'cos your ankles broke.

RoundMoundOfReb
09-19-2012, 09:56 PM
Getting ankles broken easily. Getting dunked on is not even that bad. better than not contesting the dunk at all.

ganja0710
09-19-2012, 10:04 PM
none of y'all probably haven't even been dunked on yet. :oldlol:

colorz
09-19-2012, 10:05 PM
I've never been dunked on, but I imagine if I did, my friends/people I ball with will talk about it forever. Getting crossed is embarrassing, but they'll get over it eventually because it's pretty common for someone to get crossed.

d.bball.guy
09-19-2012, 10:05 PM
Getting my ankles broken. Getting dunked on should not be embarrassing, it's a brave action to try and stop the dunker.

StateOfMind12
09-19-2012, 10:06 PM
Getting dropped is easily worse. Both will happen if you try but getting dropped has more to do with your balance while getting dunked on has more to do with effort and position.

Nevaeh
09-19-2012, 10:11 PM
none of y'all probably haven't even been dunked on yet. :oldlol:

Yeah, it really depends on the dunk too. If it's a transition dunk , where you're a bit late sliding over defensively, you can live with that. If it's a "Tea-Bag" dunk where your face is full of the other dude's manhood, well that just sucks.
http://www.ezboard.com/images/emoticons/laugh.gif

Crossing can happen if you're a taller dude caught on a defensive switch, so it's not like it'll happen all that often. I usually play off a guy with a sick handle just to avoid overworking myself.

Rake2204
09-19-2012, 10:14 PM
I think getting the ol' ankles broken up would be worse. I get excited for monster poster dunks, but there's always a small part of me that often respects the defender who contested in the first place. It's harder for me to find that sympathy after watching someone getting their ankles snapped. Though, often those most likely to get broken down in that manner are folks who are defending very tightly with great effort, so I tend to respect that as well.

It's a tough choice because a lot of times I've seen both happen and people tend to get a little excited but then they move on. I think the horrid embarrassment supposedly attached to being on the business end of each maneuver is a little overplayed. That said, I think I tend to remember the people I dunked on more than the people whose ankles I broke.

KLovin
09-19-2012, 10:47 PM
I'm tempted to say getting your ankles broken because getting posterized just means you tried......but ultimately, playing aggressive and tight defense leaves you a little more susceptible to getting your ankles broken, anyway. Certainly more admirable and unfortunately much more telegenic than just letting a dude blow by you.

longhornfan1234
09-19-2012, 10:59 PM
Getting dunked on in a recreational game is the worst.They literally stop the game and people that aren't apart of the game run out on the floor laughing and dancing as if they did it. Getting your ankles broken people just laugh for the most part...but it doesn't stop a game

tpols
09-19-2012, 11:01 PM
ankles broken way worse. Ive had both happen and you at least get a little respect going up to challenge a dunker. Getting crossed will draw laughs tho:lol

livingby3's
09-19-2012, 11:06 PM
Let's ask this guy

http://i1094.photobucket.com/albums/i458/leeyock/479953_10151124602102743_176239109_n_zps3324d155.j pg

d.bball.guy
09-19-2012, 11:15 PM
Let's ask this guy

http://i1094.photobucket.com/albums/i458/leeyock/479953_10151124602102743_176239109_n_zps3324d155.j pg
Well, he just stood there to try to take the charge. I don't think it's the same as getting dunked on while contesting the shot.

Collie
09-19-2012, 11:31 PM
Weiss could have avoided that if he just went up for the block. He would have been smashed, but not immortalized.

bballnoob1192
09-19-2012, 11:42 PM
better question would be getting dunked on and falling down like a little bitch while the other player walks over you making you stare at his junk or getting your dunk blocked mid dunked palm to ball to palm style and falling on your ass.

P.S. this aint no swap block i mean a legit stuff ball into the face i think nene did it to odom when he was a lakers one time

fsvr54
09-19-2012, 11:42 PM
What Scottie Pippen did to Ewing.

Rake2204
09-20-2012, 12:29 AM
better question would be getting dunked on and falling down like a little bitch while the other player walks over you making you stare at his junk or getting your dunk blocked mid dunked palm to ball to palm style and falling on your ass.I do think there can be a little more embarrassment tied to getting dunked on depending about the post-dunk effect. If it's just two players meeting and one finishing strong for the flush, it's often nothing to worry about. On the contrary, last week I watched a fellow get tip-dunked upon, and he just collapsed to the ground and into the basket pole. He then played the rest of the game looking as if he were about to cry. That's embarrassing. Had he bounced up and jumped right back into the mix, probably not as much of a problem.

funnystuff
09-20-2012, 12:52 AM
http://gif.mocksession.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/08/NIGERIAN-CROSSOVER1.gif

longhornfan1234
09-20-2012, 01:06 AM
http://gif.mocksession.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/08/NIGERIAN-CROSSOVER1.gif

I'm weak. :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

MrWarrior
09-20-2012, 01:20 AM
Honestly it depends who's around and the reaction of the people who's around. You can get crossed and no one reacts to it and it's not that embarrassing or vice-versa.

Either way, both is pretty embarrassing.

WockaVodka
09-20-2012, 01:22 AM
If it's a teabag dunk then that's worse but any other type of dunked on is better than getting your ankles dropped.

MiamiThrice
09-20-2012, 01:29 AM
Getting dunked on in a recreational game is the worst.They literally stop the game and people that aren't apart of the game run out on the floor laughing and dancing as if they did it. Getting your ankles broken people just laugh for the most part...but it doesn't stop a game

lmao

http://www.myfacewhen.net/uploads/1727-i-know-that-feel.png

ThaRegul8r
09-20-2012, 01:43 AM
The former. The latter will eventually happen if you play defense and you're playing against anyone who's any good. I was a shotblocker during my playing days, and I've been dunked on before, and I've blocked dunks before. It comes with the territory.

LT Ice Cream
09-20-2012, 02:03 AM
You honestly cant answer this question yourself? I'd rather get my ankles broke than a sack in my face.

LakersReign
09-20-2012, 02:24 AM
Geeting dunked on is worse, cuz it makes you look like a punk, who can't play decent enough D to get the block

Rake2204
09-20-2012, 09:13 AM
Getting dunked on in a recreational game is the worst.They literally stop the game and people that aren't apart of the game run out on the floor laughing and dancing as if they did it. Getting your ankles broken people just laugh for the most part...but it doesn't stop a gameHaha, I've actually only been in one environment where that happened, it was an open gym at a community college and it all went down literally almost exactly as you described. My teammate and I broke out in a two-on-one fast break, he was built like a 6'5'' Ben Wallace. He had the ball at half court and it was a clear passing situation (to me) but he held onto the rock. I kept calling for it, then I saw the defender uncharacteristically backing off, retreating to the rim. The defender was more or less asking my teammate to try to dunk on him, so he could block it.

As it happened, both players rose up (I was still wide open but I may as well not even existed at that point). What transpired was one of the nastiest posters I've ever witnessed first hand. There were two games being played simultaneously and the dunk shut them both down. And suddenly, everyone began dancing - from our court, from the other court, from the hallways. It was such a strange phenomenon. I swear a disco ball was lowered down from the roof at one point. I personally didn't really know how to respond, I just walked downcourt, smiled at first, then halfway wondered, "Sooooo, are we done then?"

longhornfan1234
09-20-2012, 09:15 AM
lmao

http://www.myfacewhen.net/uploads/1727-i-know-that-feel.png

:lol

ILLsmak
09-20-2012, 09:19 AM
Getting ankles broken easily. Getting dunked on is not even that bad. better than not contesting the dunk at all.

Yeah. lol. I remember one time I slipped. It wasn't even due to the dude's moves I just slipped and fell and I never forgot that shit. I've been dunked on, but I'm not a big. I'd rather hear "get out of the paint" than get my ankles broken.

It might have a lot to do with size, though. If I was a big dude, I would rather get my ankles broken cuz I shouldn't be letting people dunk on me.

Basically, though, to get dunked on means the dude overpowered you or got higher than you. To get your ankles broken means you made a huge mistake and spazzed out. Now, if you get dunked on then thrown to the ground or Lister'd then maybe it'd be just as bad.

-Smak

Mr Exlax
09-20-2012, 10:56 AM
I've been dunked on and then fell down after. No biggie because I was able to dunk on the same guy a couple of trips down after that play. Now, when that same guy crossed the shit out of me and made me stumble out of bounds.........yeah that shit was waaaaay worse because my handles have never been good enough to break ankles. I feel like it's worse if you can't get revenge.

Whoah10115
09-20-2012, 11:09 AM
Ankles is clearly worse. It's not even close.

A big guy would say getting dunked on. But big guys never are in a position to really get their ankles broke and it would be completely self-regarding.