PDA

View Full Version : UFC 152: Jones Vs. Belfort

$LakerGold
09-22-2012, 08:16 PM
Discuss Here. :pimp:

jamal99
09-22-2012, 09:29 PM
My pc really found good time to stop working.
I want to see Pokrajac and Vinny Magalhaes fight :(

Qwyjibo
09-22-2012, 09:35 PM
My pc really found good time to stop working.
I want to see Pokrajac and Vinny Magalhaes fight :(
Ooooh totally forgot that Vinny was back in the UFC. I'm excited to see if he's improved.

I remember watching that season of TUF and thinking he was headed for big things. He seemed like one of those guys who you never wanted to even come close to because of those submissions. Then the moment someone connected with a strike on him he crumbled. To be fair, it was Bader but it was still disappointing. Then he lost again and that was it.

Qwyjibo
09-22-2012, 09:49 PM
Wow. There wasn't enough to determine whether or not Vinny has anything standup wise but those subs are some of the best you'll ever see. Interesting fighter to have back in the UFC.

jamal99
09-22-2012, 10:04 PM
Hell yeah, go Vinny :banana:
I can only imagine how nasty was that sub...

longhornfan1234
09-22-2012, 10:05 PM
Jones is going to sleep.

mn9500
09-22-2012, 10:06 PM
any links to a stream?

Playmakers Dad
09-22-2012, 10:08 PM
Wow. There wasn't enough to determine whether or not Vinny has anything standup wise but those subs are some of the best you'll ever see. Interesting fighter to have back in the UFC.
His jits has translated really well to MMA..He's still too one dimensional to ever be more then a strong gate keeper.

B-Low
09-22-2012, 10:09 PM
Any links? Will rep as always :cheers:

jamal99
09-22-2012, 10:21 PM
Find live stream on www.vipbox.tv
Im on my mobile now so i cant give exact link

Playmakers Dad
09-22-2012, 10:21 PM
Any links? Will rep as always :cheers:
http://atdhe.tw/watch.php?id=428541

Qwyjibo
09-22-2012, 10:23 PM
His jits has translated really well to MMA..He's still too one dimensional to ever be more then a strong gate keeper.
It depends on his chin and conditioning. He may never be able to do much damage when striking but if he can take some shots, keep his wits and eventually get a hold of the other guy, he could make some noise. None of that was really tested tonight though.

SourPatchKids
09-22-2012, 10:23 PM
There's nothing Vitor really has in his arsenal to control Jones, he's just got to get lucky and smother Jones and then unleash a barrage of punches and one might find it's way onto Jones's chin.

jamal99
09-22-2012, 10:26 PM
He would sub Jones if he'd ever be able to take him to the ground lol

Qwyjibo
09-22-2012, 10:30 PM
Yeah Mirgliotta, calmly tell Hamill to avoid the back of the head while he's not even looking at you. That will work.

B-Low
09-22-2012, 10:36 PM
http://atdhe.tw/watch.php?id=428541

Thanks! Have another rep bar :cheers:

$LakerGold
09-22-2012, 10:55 PM
@B-Low www.thefirstrow.eu

Anyways ... Beautiful Jiu-Jitsu display by Vinny.

Stann Vs. Bispin bout to start :D Someone's goin to sleep between these two :D

Qwyjibo
09-22-2012, 10:56 PM
I have a hard time seeing Bisping knocking Stann out. It could happen of course but if Bisping wins, it's most likely a decision.

AK47DR91
09-22-2012, 11:05 PM
just got home, is the Jones fight next?

Qwyjibo
09-22-2012, 11:07 PM
This could get interesting if it goes to a decision. I have feeling the judges will give Stann round 1 since he staggered Bisping at the end. Bisping definitely gets round 2.

AK47DR91
09-22-2012, 11:12 PM
johnson/benevidez next

and then jones/belfort
thanks.

should have stayed at one of the nearby bars i was at. maybe they had this PPV event live.

Qwyjibo
09-22-2012, 11:14 PM
Bisping being more active in round 3 will probably get him the decision. 29-28 for sure, he might even get one 30-27.

Smart fight from him but he will need to do A LOT of talking to give himself even a sniff of Anderson Silva. Hype and trash-talking is the only way that fight happening.

Qwyjibo
09-22-2012, 11:18 PM
Weidman going up against Boetsch next, no?

Qwyjibo
09-22-2012, 11:23 PM
Who knows how many fights Silva has left in him at a top level performance. I'm thinking that he'll be hesitant to take any fights unless they are guaranteed huge paydays for him and that makes sense. That's probably why it was reported he didn't want to fight Weidman.

The WW division isn't looking too bad right now. I don't see GSP taking that fight unless the money is beyond ridiculous.

Qwyjibo
09-22-2012, 11:39 PM
This is just like watching Cruz (Johnson) vs Faber (Benavidez). One guy trying to land some big strikes vs the other guy's movement and quickness.

Qwyjibo
09-22-2012, 11:53 PM
Big missed opportunity for Benavidez there. A 10-9 round may not do much for him at this point. That's based on me thinking Johnson took the first 3 rounds though (which is very arguable).

$LakerGold
09-22-2012, 11:54 PM
wtf .. who round 4?

Qwyjibo
09-22-2012, 11:59 PM
Solid fight. I have it 4-1 in rounds for Johnson. I could see an argument for 3-2. All 10-9, of course.

Brick Rick
09-23-2012, 12:01 AM
I can't get excited for two manlets going at it. My grandmother is bigger than these dudes. lol.

Noob Saibot
09-23-2012, 12:12 AM
Rashad Evans sighting.

millwad
09-23-2012, 12:14 AM
Never been a fan of Jones and will never be, I'll root for Belfort but he's going to get slaughtered by Jones.

It's scary, everytime Jon fights the other guy is always scary helpless and vulnerable.

plowking
09-23-2012, 12:14 AM
Please someone knock this f@g Jones out.

millwad
09-23-2012, 12:16 AM
Please someone knock this f@g Jones out.

Belfort is not going to be the one.

Hopefully the swede Gustafsson will do so later on.

Qwyjibo
09-23-2012, 12:20 AM
I hope Belfort wins it but even if he does, I don't see it meaning much in the long-run. It'll be just another Serra-GSP moment. Jones would be back at the top of the division in no time.

plowking
09-23-2012, 12:20 AM
Belfort is not going to be the one.

Hopefully the swede Gustafsson will do so later on.

I realize this is probably true. But I'm hoping for a wild swing and hit.

Machida is the only one with a shot at LHW in my opinion.

blacknapalm
09-23-2012, 12:23 AM
holy shit!

Qwyjibo
09-23-2012, 12:23 AM
Please don't let a cut stop this fight.

plowking
09-23-2012, 12:26 AM
Should have broke the thing.

blacknapalm
09-23-2012, 12:30 AM
vitor needs to circle around or surge forward. no idea what his gameplan is...at least throw an inside thigh kick and take away jon's base/stance a bit

be badass if the whole brazilian chute boxing crew was in vitor's corner, lol

Qwyjibo
09-23-2012, 12:31 AM
I feel like I'm watching a repeat of Jones vs zombie Shogun.

millwad
09-23-2012, 12:34 AM
This shit is not even funny, Jones should go up one weight class, he is bigger and taller than everyone he's facing..

blacknapalm
09-23-2012, 12:37 AM
vitor believes he's a gracie now...pulling guard? :wtf:

Qwyjibo
09-23-2012, 12:37 AM
I guess Vitor has more confidence in a sub than landing a big punch. Can't blame him considering Jones' reach. But he might take some more elbows during it all.

plowking
09-23-2012, 12:39 AM
He hasn't done that bad standing up against him... Don't know why hes pulling guard if hes not going to be more aggressive like he was in the first round.

millwad
09-23-2012, 12:39 AM
Vitor's gameplan - Drop to the floor.. :D

plowking
09-23-2012, 12:41 AM
Jones can go suck a fat one. Get JDS or Cain in the ring against him.

Qwyjibo
09-23-2012, 12:42 AM
Damn. I hope Vitor was cranking that arm as hard as possible in the 1st round. Break it if you have to. So close.

Noob Saibot
aw man. Jones pull that arm wwwwayyyyy wwwwaayyyy back. total control.

millwad
Jon Jones, the lamest guy ever.

Fighting a bunch of midgets for a living.. Go up one weight class if you're so good..

blacknapalm
09-23-2012, 12:45 AM
jones da gawd untappable and beats vitor with one arm

rousey vs jones, make it happen

class interview by vitor. will always like that guy

ClutchOver9000
09-23-2012, 12:48 AM
Belfort's an idiot. Dude kept pulling guard, he deserved to get subbed.

I'm still not impressed w/ Jones. Dude needs to be a heavyweight...seriously.

Qwyjibo
09-23-2012, 12:52 AM
I'm no Jones fan but how can people not be impressed by him? He is huge but I consider being able to cut that kind of weight and be ready for tough fights a skill too. I'm not a fighter but I assume that takes a lot of work and preparation. One of the goals in MMA is to give yourself the biggest advantage possible over your opponents. Jones seems to do it perfectly.

Jones annoys me and should not be called a role model (**** off, Goldberg) after the DUI but you have to give him tons of credit for this run.

millwad
09-23-2012, 12:53 AM
Time for Jones to go up one weight class or face Gustafsson, the only great fighters he faced were well shorter than him and with a reach that can't get compared with his.

Gustafsson got a great reach and he is about as tall as Jones, that would be a sick fight, tired of all these midget fighters getting slaughtered by Jones.

Lebron23
09-23-2012, 12:53 AM
Jon Jones

:bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown:

blacknapalm
09-23-2012, 12:56 AM
I'm no Jones fan but how can people not be impressed by him? He is huge but I consider being able to cut that kind of weight and be ready for tough fights a skill too. I'm not a fighter but I assume that takes a lot of work and preparation. One of the goals in MMA is to give yourself the biggest advantage possible over your opponents. Jones seems to do it perfectly.

Jones annoys me and should not be called a role model (**** off, Goldberg) after the DUI but you have to give him tons of credit for this run.

exactly and the HW division has guys that walk around with much more weight naturally than jones does. even jds does and he's not an especially big HW. jones has an almost unfair reach but if you think he isn't legit, i don't know what to tell you. the same thing has been said about klitschko forever.

ClutchOver9000
09-23-2012, 12:57 AM
Time for Jones to go up one weight class or face Gustafsson, the only great fighters he faced were well shorter than him and with a reach that can't get compared with his.

As well as much older.

$LakerGold
09-23-2012, 01:03 AM
Jones just Kimura'ed well-beaten Belfort and won. Ho-hum.

That was an Americana.

DropStep
09-23-2012, 01:06 AM
The level of Butthurt Jon Jones generates is amazing. He is officially my favorite fighter. People hate on him for being tall lmao. Fighters know what they are dealing with coming into the fight. Jones is gonna pick you apart from a distance till you make a mistake then finish you. There is a reason why Stefan Struve gets KO'd so much and Jones doesnt. Dude beat the bricks off Vitor after getting his arm ****ed up. Yet people still hating.
Silva vs Jones needs to happen next year or the UFC can go **** itself.

blacknapalm
09-23-2012, 01:08 AM
That was an Americana.

and rogan called it a kimura right? how the hell does that guy have a black belt in bjj and not notice that? :lol

$LakerGold
09-23-2012, 01:09 AM
Vitor was hesitating throwing those punches ... I mean who wouldn't? IMO, if he came out explosive .. Jones would've caught him or somethin worst gonna happen to Vitor ...

9erempiree
09-23-2012, 01:09 AM
Jones was dominant as hell.

Best fighter in the UFC.

His reach and his wrestling skills make him unstoppable and breaking out of that arm bar was fantastic.

Lebron23
09-23-2012, 01:18 AM
Jones has some sharp elbows. Silva vs. Jones needs to happen next year.

ClutchOver9000
09-23-2012, 01:24 AM
Jones has some sharp elbows. Silva vs. Jones needs to happen next year.

Jones would win easily. Why? He'd never risk standing w/ Anderson, he'd go for the takedown as he did w/ Vitor, and would then ground and pound Silva either to a TKO victory (due to cuts) or would eventually sink in a sub.

Silva couldn't stop Chael from getting him to the ground at will. Jones is much bigger, much longer, and much stronger, it'd be a cakewalk for Jones.

Silva wins only if Jones was dumb enough to make it a standup fight, where he'd get picked apart.

ClutchOver9000
09-23-2012, 01:26 AM
Jones was dominant as hell.

Best fighter in the UFC.

His reach and his wrestling skills make him unstoppable and breaking out of that arm bar was fantastic.

Arguably.

CarlosBoozer
09-23-2012, 01:43 AM
Who's jon jones gonna fight next? Alexander or Machida? :o

Qwyjibo
09-23-2012, 01:48 AM
Henderson

blacknapalm
09-23-2012, 01:50 AM

jones says he has unfinished business with hendo but we'll see. machida or hendo makes sense. i like alexander but i don't know if he's ready yet. he's only had seven fights in the ufc and his toughest opponent was probably thiago silva. i think he needs one more good fight.

Qwyjibo
09-23-2012, 01:51 AM
Dana is now ripping into the Toronto Sun in the post-fight conference. Awesome. Anyone here in Ontario knows that the Sun is the biggest piece of garbage when it comes to sports reporting.

millwad
09-23-2012, 02:37 AM
jones says he has unfinished business with hendo but we'll see. machida or hendo makes sense. i like alexander but i don't know if he's ready yet. he's only had seven fights in the ufc and his toughest opponent was probably thiago silva. i think he needs one more good fight.

Gustafsson is facing Rua next, if he beats him then they most give him a shot against Jones.

blacknapalm
09-23-2012, 02:48 AM
Gustafsson is facing Rua next, if he beats him then they most give him a shot against Jones.

aww ya, totally forgot about that fight. wouldn't be against that at all given "the mauler" gets past rua

btw, it's kinda funny looking all the recent comments to any greg jackson/jones interviews...ssooo many dislikes too. they have to be the most hated duo in mma right now, no?

raiderfan19
09-23-2012, 04:50 AM
So why does everyone say it's not fair for jones to figh guys smaller than him but then wants him to fight guys so much bigger than him.

I agree he needs to go to hw at some point but not yet because once he goes up there is no point in him coming back down.

It's insane that a 25 year old is the greatest 205er ever considering the names(rua,liddell,rampage,Henderson...etc) that have fought in that division

lakerstekkenn
09-23-2012, 05:32 AM
bones Jones is the sugar ray rob of mma iff you cant see that your not a fan

he wouldn't tap wow this is history be proud to be alive to see him

he will go down as the greatest mma fighter in history book it

lakerstekkenn
09-23-2012, 05:43 AM
this is the only guy that we will say he could beat bruce lee and hes a baby in mma 2 years of mma wow sick

bruce started mma he had a black belt in jujitsu bones dosent not yet

wow :applause: :rockon: :bowdown: :cheers: :pimp: :banana: :D

DropStep
09-23-2012, 09:35 AM
Mighty Mouse would beat bruce lee in a hilarious fashion.

bdreason
09-23-2012, 01:21 PM
Jones looked incredibly beatable to me last night. Not just from the armbar, but just the entire fight in general. Props for not tapping though.

Vragrant
09-23-2012, 07:50 PM
Dana is now ripping into the Toronto Sun in the post-fight conference. Awesome. Anyone here in Ontario knows that the Sun is the biggest piece of garbage when it comes to sports reporting.

I'm not surprised. He's just defending his company. But the Sun article does have some good points. I've been saying for a while that the UFC is overexposed with too many PPV's and the article mentioned the same thing. This leads to diluted cards and ultimately a diluted product.

They also mentioned that the PPV numbers have been dropping, and part of the reason was due to some of the old guard moving on (eg: Couture/Lidell/Ortiz). I think thats a fair point we well.

One of the other points is that Jones is not a crossover star like they seem to be banking on. Maybe he could be but it just hasn't happened yet. We'll see what the numbers are for this PPV and his PPV's in the future.

But Dana will rip anything that hes perceives as anti UFC.

IcanzIIravor
09-23-2012, 08:38 PM
Jones looked incredibly beatable to me last night. Not just from the armbar, but just the entire fight in general. Props for not tapping though.

That comes from a short training camp. He went from preparing for Hendo to preparing for Vitor. Given a full training camp I would bet he destroys Vitor in a much shorter time and doesn't get caught with an arm bar attempt.

$LakerGold
09-23-2012, 09:49 PM
and rogan called it a kimura right? how the hell does that guy have a black belt in bjj and not notice that? :lol
Lol it can be confusing at times just because it looks really similar to a kimura.

gigantes
09-24-2012, 12:36 AM
it was a perfectly reasonable article (http://www.torontosun.com/2012/09/20/ufc-looking-like-a-jugger-not) IMO. maybe not the source of all that's right in the world, but the points were valid and rational.

only thing that stayed the same was DFW pulling his crazed bully act against a small flea that irritated him... yet again.

Jackass18
09-24-2012, 09:43 AM
I don't care to defend Dana, but that is a shitty article.

gigantes
09-24-2012, 12:02 PM
[quote]This is a company clearly at the crossroads. It

Jackass18
09-25-2012, 12:54 AM
Dana says GSP has been the top draw for long time and not Lesnar. People can talk numbers, but it's a lot harder to draw when your opponent is one of the most boring fighters in the UFC (Shields) than when your opponent is a HW slugger (although, GSP/Shields did outdraw Lesnar/Overeem). GSP has brought some big numbers against some rather lackluster opponents. The writer says part of the reason is because Couture, Ortiz and Liddell were too old to continue in 2012, but Couture hasn't been a draw for a couple years, Ortiz hasn't been a draw in a longer time than Couture and Liddell hasn't fought in over 2 years. None of those guys really helped the PPV numbers in 2011 (Liddell didn't fight at all, Couture only once, and when's the last time people paid money to watch Tito?). Then, he gets on Jones, but Jones/Evans had a 700,000 buyrate and in 2012.

Next, he says that they should go from 12 fights to 9. Why? Does he not realize that fighters need fights, so why take away opportunities from them? Also, why give us less fights for the same price? Less PPVs a year? That's been said a million times already, but I'd like to see more free cards instead of less cards. What I think they should do is a better job of promoting some of the lesser known fighters in the UFC. Why not a TV show aimed at promoting the less known guys?

The biggest problem and the one that should have received most of the attention is the injuries. There's not a lot you can do about it. There's some things they can do, but the closer they occur to the event the harder it is to do anything. Also, I think they overestimated the drawing power of the smaller divisions. For whatever reason, there's a number of people out there who aren't into the smaller divisions (and it's a shame). When they've had a least a decent main event not featuring fighters from the smaller divisions, then the PPV numbers haven't been bad. Silva/Sonnen II did a 1,000,000 buyrate, which is a reason why Dana had such a hardon to get Sonnen into UFC 151.

DaHeezy
09-25-2012, 01:07 AM
I was in Toronto during the weekend and it was truly pathetic. They couldn't even give tickets away. The bar I went to was dead inside. This is the city where Dana gauranteed a packed house.

gigantes
09-25-2012, 02:53 AM
a TV show for the lesser-known fighters makes sense to me in favor of TUF. that way the fans can continue following who they watched and took interest in instead of the reset button being pushed every time a new season begins. replace some of the canned reality show drama with more and better coverage of how pro fighters train. make the show more educational and insightful. they could even throw in a short 'gracie bros' style segment where a specific move or hold is broken down. not sure how well that would connect with the public, exactly, but they've got to mix it up somehow. friday nights is also a killer.

and lorenzo needs to either figure out a way to keep dana on a shorter lease, or else buy him out. you can't have your promoter constantly feuding with the media, fans and various fighters. it's just not going to help grow the product. they need a more professional person (or people) who would have *immediately* sat down with jones when a major problem came up... instead of getting in to the long-distance macho thing of dueling interviews and "i'll see him eventually when i've cooled down" routine. what a rube.

anyway, yea... retain the same number of events to keep the fighters busy and make your PPV's more stacked. that way when a late scratch happens, you still have a strong card left. they might make less money from the TV revenue, but the paid events should be more explosive and memorable, theoretically making them more attractive and lucrative.

and as someone pointed out at one of the SB nation sites, the buildup and the commentary needs to be more varied and mindful of reality. forcing everything in to the "this guy might have the perfect style to beat this higher-ranked fighter" or else "these guys are feuding and really dislike each other" storylines is getting really old. the way that rogan and goldberg kept trying to sell the idea that JDS was on a mission to avenge big nog was ludicrous by the end. everything JDS actually said was at odds with that idea, but rogan seems so hellbent on hyperbole at times that he just can't let it go. anyway, what if they used a rotating 3rd man to try out some fresh blood? what if there's an announcing team somewhere out there that is significantly better than these guys? but no... white and rogan came up almost together, so that would be a betrayal. everything the UFC does these days has DFW's prints all over it...

Jackass18
09-25-2012, 05:48 AM
Unfortunately, we're stuck with Dana White. At this point, about all I can hope for is that he doesn't go too far, and hold out for that slight bit of hope that he finally realizes he needs to become more professional.

They do use a different team for their FX and Fuel TV broadcasts, Jon Anik and Kenny Florian. From all I've seen, the 2-man commentating team works best. A 3-man team turns into a cluster**** at times. Bringing in a third guy, like a current or retired fighter, from time-to-time isn't so bad, though. It could be fresh if they did it like once every 3 or so events. Or perhaps, they just use the 3rd guy for the co-main event and the main event.

DaHeezy
09-25-2012, 12:45 PM
Dana has got to stop protecting fighter's reps and start forcing them to develop in weight classes while the opportunity is still there. Meaning Jones goes to HW, Anderson to LHW, and GSP to MW.
They do not have to compete with Pride's reputation anymore or the Fedor saga.
That or promote superfights early

gigantes
09-25-2012, 07:32 PM
http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/images/reputation/reputation_neg.gif UFC 152: Jones Vs.... (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/showthread.php?p=7814311#post7814311) 09-24-2012 08:12 PM Jon Jones is a beast. You ignorant moron!
wow, someone sure is sensitive...

Jackass18
09-26-2012, 05:21 AM
Dana has got to stop protecting fighter's reps and start forcing them to develop in weight classes while the opportunity is still there. Meaning Jones goes to HW, Anderson to LHW, and GSP to MW.
They do not have to compete with Pride's reputation anymore or the Fedor saga.
That or promote superfights early

Um, what? Dana has no right nor should he to dictate what weight class a fighter fights in as long as he makes weight.

DaHeezy
09-26-2012, 08:47 AM
Um, what? Dana has no right nor should he to dictate what weight class a fighter fights in as long as he makes weight.

He's in charge of the final product and that is exactly what consumers want. he's the boss, he can dictate anything he wants

raiderfan19
09-26-2012, 09:38 AM
He's in charge of the final product and that is exactly what consumers want. he's the boss, he can dictate anything he wants
If the UFC did this it would go out of business. This is the dumbest idea iv ever read. Dana doesn't own them. What the hell right does he or anyone have to make them move up?

DaHeezy
09-26-2012, 10:14 AM
If the UFC did this it would go out of business. This is the dumbest idea iv ever read. Dana doesn't own them. What the hell right does he or anyone have to make them move up?

So a sytem that's worked in boxing with all it's longevity won't work with the UFC...hmm...

Do you listen to fans around you? Despite you may not liking the idea, the paying public wants to see these fights. the general perception is the current champs are too dominant for their weight class.

Jackass18
09-26-2012, 11:04 PM

No he can't. He's not the grand dictator of MMA. He can't dictate how fighters train and how they cut weight. He can't force anyone to fight at a certain weight class. That's not his job. That's up to the fighters.

So a sytem that's worked in boxing with all it's longevity won't work with the UFC...hmm...

What system has worked in boxing? They don't always give the fans the fights they want to see. If the Pacquiao/Mayweather fight ever happens, then it's still taken a long, long time for it to happen.

Do you listen to fans around you? Despite you may not liking the idea, the paying public wants to see these fights. the general perception is the current champs are too dominant for their weight class.

Things get screwed up when you listen to dumbass fans that don't know wtf they're talking about. People start getting undeserved title shots like the one they were trying to hand to Sonnen on a silver platter. The fans aren't matchmakers. Sure, they can have opinions, but they're not matchmakers.

rknine15
09-26-2012, 11:10 PM
I was in Toronto during the weekend and it was truly pathetic. They couldn't even give tickets away. The bar I went to was dead inside. This is the city where Dana gauranteed a packed house.
Where did you go? Most good UFC events you have to book reservations to even get a spot at most bars.

Brujesino
09-27-2012, 12:02 AM
Cant force fighters to fight in different divisions.

I agree that they should place 3rd commentator and it HAS to be someone who has actually fought in the octagon.

raiderfan19
09-27-2012, 12:22 AM
Tito is an awesome commentator.

As for the boxing system argument, you get that boxers have more control over what weight they fight at and who they fight than Mma fighters right? Do you know anything about either sport? Like anything at all?

raiderfan19
09-27-2012, 09:18 AM
:oldlol:
I'm surprised that a chael fan wouldn't be a Tito fan

DaHeezy
09-27-2012, 11:16 AM
Where did you go? Most good UFC events you have to book reservations to even get a spot at most bars.

The Loose Moose

DaHeezy
09-27-2012, 11:20 AM

As for the boxing system argument, you get that boxers have more control over what weight they fight at and who they fight than Mma fighters right? Do you know anything about either sport? Like anything at all?

I realize that. But promoters find them the payday and paydays are in the bigger opponents. Do you think Manny makes money staying at lightweight his whole career? This is where UFC can take advantage through the fact they have one promoter.

Do you know anything about business and making money? Like anything at all?

DaHeezy
09-27-2012, 01:27 PM
No he can't. He's not the grand dictator of MMA. He can't dictate how fighters train and how they cut weight. He can't force anyone to fight at a certain weight class. That's not his job. That's up to the fighters.

He's the grand dictator of UFC. And are you that naive to beleive he can't influence weight class?

What system has worked in boxing? They don't always give the fans the fights they want to see. If the Pacquiao/Mayweather fight ever happens, then it's still taken a long, long time for it to happen.

That boxers and promoters know they can't stay in a lower weight class if they've completely run the field. I thought that was an obvious :confusedshrug:

Things get screwed up when you listen to dumbass fans that don't know wtf they're talking about. People start getting undeserved title shots like the one they were trying to hand to Sonnen on a silver platter. The fans aren't matchmakers. Sure, they can have opinions, but they're not matchmakers.

Bro, when are you going to realize that you purist are in the minority now? So you think this sport will get by doing the "right" fights. I guess that's why this year has been so successful (turn on sarcasm detector). You have Jones and Silva in their primes yet can't fill out stadiums. This is a business. You can't just cater to the purists. you got to give the paying fans what they want and sometimes it's the "wrong" thing.

If you were an owner and you asked 1000 PPV random subscribers if they would like to see Jones fight JDS or continue to run the LHW field what do you think the people would say?
Sorry but you would be the Jackass that would take the lesser payday. But hey, as long as it's the "right" thing.

and don't tell me Jones wouldn't want to fight in HW. Anybody will fight anybody for the right amount of money

ErhnamDjinn
09-27-2012, 01:54 PM

lol wut??!? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CS4bGO5ndVs&feature=related

I would say Brian Stann would make a good color commenter, plus he sounds very well spoken.

raiderfan19
09-27-2012, 05:22 PM
The fact that you think a 37 year old silva is "in his prime" is all I need to know.

As for jones vs jds or silva, I'd love to see either. But the thing that makes that kind of matchup special is that they don't happen all the time. Also there are a much more limited number of great Mma fighters than boxers. Too many of those fights and you spoil too many fighters too fast.

For all your talk of a jones jds fight, if bones dominates it then what?(not saying he would) you can't move him back down remotely credibly and you have basically ended every marketable match for a 25 year old with the exception of maybe a Cain fight.

You can't always worry about just the next fight.

DaHeezy
09-27-2012, 08:23 PM
The fact that you think a 37 year old silva is "in his prime" is all I need to know.

He hasn't declined as of yet. He's every bit as good as he was 5 years ago. 37 isn't old considering fighters have fought into their 40's at top level. Chuck was at his peak at 37. As far as I'm concerned you're still in your prime until you clearly can't string together wins against top level competition. And don't act like a condescending prick thinking I'm some sort of UFC newb. I've watched and followed since UFC I.

As for jones vs jds or silva, I'd love to see either. But the thing that makes that kind of matchup special is that they don't happen all the time. Also there are a much more limited number of great Mma fighters than boxers. Too many of those fights and you spoil too many fighters too fast.

For all your talk of a jones jds fight, if bones dominates it then what?(not saying he would) you can't move him back down remotely credibly and you have basically ended every marketable match for a 25 year old with the exception of maybe a Cain fight.

You can't always worry about just the next fight.

And you think he'll be marketable at LHW? Again, you've lost the business aspect of it. JDS was an example, albeit the best example. Jones will not be a major draw at this division. I was IN Toronto when this event was on. They couldn't give away tickets! Even from the people who were watching at the bar you'd hear I would have paid if Jones fought somweone even the likes of Pat Barry. He's too dominant for LHW. If Bones dominates HW, then consider his the greatest fighter who ever live. The sport needs a long standing champ.

gigantes
09-28-2012, 03:42 AM
wow... really interesting posts going on lately. very cool.

i hate the new SBnation format. two of my favorite sites, MMAfighting and bloodyelbow, are part of that network, and they both went from a slick, clean format to this pretentious NY times-wannabe format with unneeded pics on the front page and this pompous, serif-up-the-ass fonts. and still no mobile format yet, so anytime you try to access on your phone, the whole thing tends to crash.

bah.

Jackass18
09-29-2012, 04:11 PM
He's the grand dictator of UFC. And are you that naive to beleive he can't influence weight class?

All he can do is sit down with them and try to talk them into it. I don't know why you think Dana White can do anything. Are you naive to believe Dana has ultimate control?

That boxers and promoters know they can't stay in a lower weight class if they've completely run the field. I thought that was an obvious :confusedshrug:

They're 2 different sports. Contenders come along fairly often in MMA. 1 big win is sometimes enough to catapult a guy into contender status. Then, there's always rematches. Also, boxing has more weight classes. There's a weight class like every 4-7 pounds.

Bro, when are you going to realize that you purist are in the minority now? So you think this sport will get by doing the "right" fights. I guess that's why this year has been so successful (turn on sarcasm detector).

What are you even talking about? They haven't been doing the "right" fights and much of the trouble has been due to injuries. They've had successes in a number of PPVs this year. It's just that injuries have been rampant and the lower weight divisions haven't been draws. 1 of the superfights (Silva/GSP) is fairly close to becoming a reality anyways. If they both win their next fights, then it could very well happen.

If you were an owner and you asked 1000 PPV random subscribers if they would like to see Jones fight JDS or continue to run the LHW field what do you think the people would say?
Sorry but you would be the Jackass that would take the lesser payday. But hey, as long as it's the "right" thing.

There's a lot of things they could have done to get big PPV numbers, but they didn't because they didn't make much sense to do in the realm of the sport.

and don't tell me Jones wouldn't want to fight in HW. Anybody will fight anybody for the right amount of money

Jones says he's looking at HW in 2013.

37 isn't old considering fighters have fought into their 40's at top level. Chuck was at his peak at 37.

If that was his peak, then it was a very short peak considering he went 1-5 after beating Ortiz.

Jones will not be a major draw at this division. I was IN Toronto when this event was on. They couldn't give away tickets! Even from the people who were watching at the bar you'd hear I would have paid if Jones fought somweone even the likes of Pat Barry. He's too dominant for LHW. If Bones dominates HW, then consider his the greatest fighter who ever live. The sport needs a long standing champ.

16,800 attendance and $1.9 million gate wasn't that bad all things considered. Bones/Belfort was a late add to this card and Belfort wasn't really a worthy opponent. Imagine if Bones/Belfort wasn't added to this card. Bones last PPV before this one did a 700k buyrate against a legitimate opponent. Though, his reputation did take a hit after that.

Jackass18
09-29-2012, 04:16 PM
I know purists aren't in the majority. I'm just saying you can't bend to the will of the casual fans. Maybe once in a while, but you can't do it often.