PDA

View Full Version : Greatest Ballers not to play in the NBA???

Hoofa22
09-23-2012, 06:08 AM
Should have. Could have, Didn't!!!

Any High School or College ballers who were destined for greatness but did not quite make it to the NBA??

MJ(Mean John)
09-23-2012, 06:14 AM
My dude RAYLEW!

Cali stand up.

And me. Mean john.

Hoofa22
09-23-2012, 06:14 AM
Real names LOL

jongib369
09-23-2012, 06:16 AM
Pee Wee Kirkland, Earl Manigult

LEN BIAS!! Could have stopped Jordan from getting 6 rings possibly

:bowdown:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MSLLpiWoiz4

Hoofa22
09-23-2012, 06:20 AM
Watched a doco on Len Bias, Such a shame...............

jongib369
09-23-2012, 06:26 AM
Yeah it is, such much potential

This guy could of been a GOAT also

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=enJJeOqHbqE

Fiba basketball
09-23-2012, 07:27 AM
Dejan Bodiroga

Overdrive
09-23-2012, 07:34 AM
V-Span

oh wait :lol

I wonder how Oscar Schmidt would've done in the NBA.

Miserio
09-23-2012, 07:36 AM
Dejan Bodiroga
This. What a beast he was!

SyRyanYang
09-23-2012, 07:46 AM
me.

shallehalle
09-23-2012, 08:06 AM
Pee Wee Kirkland, Earl Manigult

LEN BIAS!! Could have stopped Jordan from getting 6 rings possibly

:bowdown:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MSLLpiWoiz4
i have one question. how did championship teams or contender teams in 70's and 80's get such high draft picks?

it's like lakers, miami, thunder or boston getting top 5 picks in the draft

QuebecBaller
09-23-2012, 08:09 AM
The GOAT Earl Manigault

Noof
09-23-2012, 08:22 AM
Barack Obama

LBJFTW
09-23-2012, 09:30 AM
It sure as hell wouldn't be a Euroleaguer.

pauk
09-23-2012, 09:39 AM
Dejan Bodiroga
Nikos Galis
Dimitris Diamantidis
Sasha Djordjevic

In that order, if you havent seen Dejan Bodiroga in his prime he was basically a 6'9 more skill dependant prime Grant Hill or even Lebron James (was a PG/SG/SF/PF) minus the vertical, he was all skills, iq, footwork.... his ballhandling was absolutely ridicilous, in his prime much better than any guy at that size and over i ever seen (even better than Magic Johnson, same ballsecurity but Bodiroga had more flashy dribbling.).

Here he is a bit past his prime schooling Carmelo with his dribbling and some other US players:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=DQEzmPKdqt4

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=Bb9bt978xG8

CeltsGarlic
09-23-2012, 09:53 AM
Dejan Bodiroga
Nikos Galis
Dimitris Diamantidis
Sasha Djordjevic

In that order, if you havent seen Dejan Bodiroga in his prime he was basically a 6'9 more skill dependant prime Grant Hill or even Lebron James (was a PG/SG/SF/PF) minus the vertical, he was all skills, iq, footwork.... his ballhandling was absolutely ridicilous, in his prime much better than any guy at that size and over i ever seen (even better than Magic Johnson, same ballsecurity but Bodiroga had more flashy dribbling.).

Here he is a bit past his prime schooling Carmelo with his dribbling and some other US players:

Sick, sick ,sick crossovers.

SHAQisGOAT
09-23-2012, 09:56 AM
Len Bias

Earl "The GOAT" Manigault

Ben "Benji" Wilson

Raymond Lewis

/thread

#number6ix#
09-23-2012, 10:25 AM
Dejan Bodiroga
Nikos Galis
Dimitris Diamantidis
Sasha Djordjevic

Reminds me of Manu

pauk
09-23-2012, 10:42 AM
Reminds me of Manu

Yea, very similar.

pauk
09-23-2012, 10:44 AM
Len Bias

Earl "The GOAT" Manigault

Ben "Benji" Wilson

Raymond Lewis

/thread

Did you ever see them play?

I saw only some documentaries about them, was mostly excited about Ben Wilson, he was a 6'9 PG that many say was gona show Magic how it is done.

funnystuff
09-23-2012, 11:18 AM
Kevin Hart

IGOTGAME
09-23-2012, 11:27 AM
I would have loved to see Bodiroga in the NBA. I remember watching that Team USA game and thinking he really knew how to play. Some of the videos of his were sick. Guy had the whole package.

Euroleague
09-23-2012, 11:59 AM
Oscar Schmidt

Nikos Galis

Sasha Djordevic

Sergey Belov

Dejan Bodiroga

etc....

SHAQisGOAT
09-23-2012, 12:24 PM
Did you ever see them play?

I saw only some documentaries about them, was mostly excited about Ben Wilson, he was a 6'9 PG that many say was gona show Magic how it is done.

For Len, I've seen documentaries, games in college, read about... Dude was such a beast, incredible physique, such a great leaper, the man was just raw, plus he had a really soft touch with range, smooth jumper and he almost jumped out of the gym while shooting, such a high release point, and he could still develop in the NBA. He could've been an amazing 6th man for Boston, then actually learn and become a franchise player, plus give Bird and McHale some needed rest, keep their careers longer, Boston would've got more chips right now.

You cannot really find footage of The GOAT playing but if Kareem calls him the best he's ever seen, plus numerous other ballers said he was really something, the reports on what he could do, that's enough for me. Reportedly had a 52'' vert, plus could shoot lights out.

Benji was also great. He was like 6'9, not as big as Magic, not as great a passer and didn't have a postgame like Magic but he was really quick, fast and a great leaper, really good handles and great at shooting.

Also Raymond Lewis was a beast, he could score like crazy, reportedly dropped 56 against Michael Cooper in a 1983 summer pro league game. Such a shame, seemed like he was blackballed by the NBA. Street-legend though.

Calabis
09-23-2012, 12:40 PM
Ronnie Fields, great HS baller, broke his neck, but still went to lead the CBA in scoring and steals..., his outside shot was suspect, but was a great slasher, I'm sure he could have helped someones bench.

In High School:

Fields averaged an absurd 32.4 points, 12.2 rebounds, 5.1 assists, 4.5 blocks, 4 steals, and 4.5 dunks a game

CBA

24.9, 3.2 stls

At age 32
Fields averaged 21.4 points, 4.9 assists, and a league-leading 2.7 steals

SHAQisGOAT
09-23-2012, 01:23 PM
Ronnie Fields, great HS baller, broke his neck, but still went to lead the CBA in scoring and steals..., his outside shot was suspect, but was a great slasher, I'm sure he could have helped someones bench.

In High School:

Fields averaged an absurd 32.4 points, 12.2 rebounds, 5.1 assists, 4.5 blocks, 4 steals, and 4.5 dunks a game

CBA

24.9, 3.2 stls

At age 32
Fields averaged 21.4 points, 4.9 assists, and a league-leading 2.7 steals

Good call, dude was such a high flyer.

Fiba basketball
09-23-2012, 01:30 PM
Oscar Schmidt

Nikos Galis

Sasha Djordevic

Sergey Belov

Dejan Bodiroga

etc....
I think Djordjevic played in Portland .

swi7ch
09-23-2012, 01:35 PM
* Andrew Gaze
* Some other Brazilian (I think) that I can't remember the name that's king of the olympics

CeltsGarlic
09-23-2012, 01:36 PM
* Andrew Gaze
* Some other Brazilian (I think) that I can't remember the name that's king of the olympics

Oscar Schmidt

Euroleague
09-23-2012, 01:58 PM
I think Djordjevic played in Portland .

Yeah, you are right.

OK.

How about?

Oscar Schmidt

Nikos Galis

Dejan Bodiroga

Panagiotis Giannakis

Drazen Dalipagic

Sergey Belov

Dino Meneghin

Kresimir Cosic

Epi

Radivoj Korac

Theo Papaloukas

Dimitris Diamantidis

Milos Teodosic

Ramunas Siskauskas

Erazem Lorbek

Giorgos Sigalas

Bo McCalebb

Dragan Kicanovic

Wayne Brabender

Antonello Riva

Mirza Delibasic

Cliff Luyk

Bob Morse

Juan Corbalan

Zoran Slavnic

Emiliano Rodriguez

Ivo Daneu

Petar Skansi

Pier Marzorati

Gregor F u ck a

Fanis Christodoulou

Terrell McIntyre

Carlton Myers

About all I can think of right now...........

How does that list look to you? Which ones do you pick as the best?

CavaliersFTW
09-23-2012, 02:04 PM
Yeah, you are right.

OK.

How about?

Oscar Schmidt

Nikos Galis

Dejan Bodiroga

Panagiotis Giannakis

Drazen Dalipagic

Sergey Belov

Dino Meneghin

Kresimir Cosic

Epi

Radivoj Korac

Theo Papaloukas

Dimitris Diamantidis

Milos Teodosic

Ramunas Siskauskas

Giorgos Sigalas

Bo McCalebb

Dragan Kicanovic

Wayne Brabender

Antonello Riva

Mirza Delibasic

Cliff Luyk

Bob Morse

Juan Corbalan

Zoran Slavnic

Emiliano Rodriguez

Ivo Daneu

Petar Skansi

Pier Marzorati

Gregor F u ck a

Fanis Christodoulou

Terrell McIntyre

Carlton Myers

How does that list look to you? Which ones do pick as the best?
:facepalm My city league has more talent than that awful list

LJJ
09-23-2012, 02:06 PM
Oscar Schmidt

Nikos Galis

Sasha Djordevic

Sergey Belov

Dejan Bodiroga

etc....

Galis - 68th NBA draft pick, cut from training camp

Djordjevic - 3ppg average in the NBA

Those guys tried the NBA, but were simply not NBA level talent.

CavaliersFTW
09-23-2012, 02:09 PM

The rest probably tried the NBA and wished they could play in it since childhood but got rejected due to lack of talent

Euroleague
09-23-2012, 02:10 PM

You are a ****ing disgrace.

Euroleague
09-23-2012, 02:11 PM
:facepalm My city league has more talent than that awful list

The NBA does not have 1/5 of that talent right now.

Euroleague
09-23-2012, 02:12 PM
The rest probably tried the NBA and wished they could play in it since childhood but got rejected due to lack of talent

You literally are retarded.

LJJ
09-23-2012, 02:12 PM

Eh, some of them had great careers in Europe, but the game is different here.

Bodiroga is probably the best of the lot. Off the charts basketball IQ, but he wasn't fast and quick enough to be a star in the NBA. Anyone who watched him play and is realistic realizes this.

Miller for 3
09-23-2012, 02:13 PM
Theo Papaloukas always impressed me.

Euroleague
09-23-2012, 02:15 PM
Eh, some of them had great careers in Europe, but the game is different here.

Bodiroga is probably the best of the lot. Off the charts basketball IQ, but he wasn't fast and quick enough to be a star in the NBA. Anyone who watched him play and is realistic realizes this.

Bodrioga wasn't as good as Galis. Sorry.

Euroleague
09-23-2012, 02:17 PM
Theo Papaloukas always impressed me.

He was fantastic as a passer and spectacular as an athlete when he was younger. After age 30 he lost his game though.

The bad thing was he never could shoot though. Still, he was far better than Rubio will ever be.

Fiba basketball
09-23-2012, 02:40 PM
Yeah, you are right.

OK.

How about?

Oscar Schmidt

Nikos Galis

Dejan Bodiroga

Panagiotis Giannakis

Drazen Dalipagic

Sergey Belov

Dino Meneghin

Kresimir Cosic

Epi

Radivoj Korac

Theo Papaloukas

Dimitris Diamantidis

Milos Teodosic

Ramunas Siskauskas

Erazem Lorbek

Giorgos Sigalas

Bo McCalebb

Dragan Kicanovic

Wayne Brabender

Antonello Riva

Mirza Delibasic

Cliff Luyk

Bob Morse

Juan Corbalan

Zoran Slavnic

Emiliano Rodriguez

Ivo Daneu

Petar Skansi

Pier Marzorati

Gregor F u ck a

Fanis Christodoulou

Terrell McIntyre

Carlton Myers

How does that list look to you? Which ones do you pick as the best?
I agree with you . I would choose Bodiroga , Galis , Schmidt as best . I would add Caroll as best 3 point shooter to never play in NBA but it's just me .

2swift4u
09-23-2012, 02:48 PM
what about Ed "Booger" Smith ? In many movies and articles they say he would have been an awesome PG if he had made it to the league.

Miserio
09-23-2012, 03:36 PM
Bodrioga wasn't as good as Galis. Sorry.
I'm a Galis fan but Bodiroga was better, I'm sorry. Except from scoring he did everything better than Galis.

Euroleague
09-23-2012, 06:50 PM
I'm a Galis fan but Bodiroga was better, I'm sorry. Except from scoring he did everything better than Galis.

No. Sorry. Galis was definitely better than Bodiroga.

Galis is in the class of Petrovic, Sabonis, Dirk, Pau - of all time greatest European players ever.

Bodiroga is in the next tier. And if you think differently - then there is not a snowball's chance in hell that you ever saw Galis play. At his prime, no one, not Drazen, not Sabonis could touch Galis in Europe.

And you could put him easily in the same level with Bird, Jordan, and Magic then.

kNicKz
09-23-2012, 07:09 PM
http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_1xuvS9H2BEk/S_OVpG82ZZI/AAAAAAAAAC8/SNDUvMSK7i0/s1600/Joe_The_Destroyer_Hammond.jpg

If you don't know who this is, kill yourself

CavaliersFTW
09-23-2012, 07:13 PM
http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_1xuvS9H2BEk/S_OVpG82ZZI/AAAAAAAAAC8/SNDUvMSK7i0/s1600/Joe_The_Destroyer_Hammond.jpg

THE DESTROYER :bowdown:

midatlantic09
09-23-2012, 08:00 PM
-Ronnie Fields
-Schea Cotton

tmacattack33
09-23-2012, 08:12 PM
How about that guy that Ron Artest was talking about when he was talking to Craig Sager about the hardest players he's ever had to guard. :oldlol:

TheBigVeto
09-23-2012, 08:19 PM
Oscar Schmidt
He would've been top 5 SFs of all time.

Also, Sabonis. The 'Sabonis' who played in the NBA is just an impostor.

09-24-2012, 05:39 AM
earl the goat manigault.

MetsPackers
09-24-2012, 05:50 AM

GOBB at age 45?

morbius
09-24-2012, 07:10 AM

NBA was never fond of slow, selfish, undersized shooting guards who play no defense. The guy however could score in truckloads. He could have easily played in the NBA as a Steve Kerr kind of player.

Make no mistake, this guy was an absolute beast! Arguably the best European PG of modern era. Think Jason Kidd who could shoot. And best of all, he had ice in his veins, he was as clutch as it gets. The reason he didn't make it in the NBA is that Portland simply didn't know what it had. Coach PJ Carlessimo probably just took one look at him and thought "Bah, European, already over 30, why bother?"

nycelt84
09-24-2012, 07:13 AM
Meadowlark Lemon

sick_brah07
09-24-2012, 07:30 AM
No. Sorry. Galis was definitely better than Bodiroga.

Galis is in the class of Petrovic, Sabonis, Dirk, Pau - of all time greatest European players ever.

Bodiroga is in the next tier. And if you think differently - then there is not a snowball's chance in hell that you ever saw Galis play. At his prime, no one, not Drazen, not Sabonis could touch Galis in Europe.

And you could put him easily in the same level with Bird, Jordan, and Magic then.

This is why posters hijack your threads and post stupid things to you.

A poster has acknowledged your great list and just shared their opinion which isnt ridiculous just a little different to yours, and you shoot him down like he has suggest Luke Walton is a HOF'er

RESPECT PEOPLES OPINIONS IF YOU WANT YOURS TO BE RESPECTED

Euroleague
09-24-2012, 04:47 PM
NBA was never fond of slow, selfish, undersized shooting guards who play no defense. The guy however could score in truckloads. He could have easily played in the NBA as a Steve Kerr kind of player.

Make no mistake, this guy was an absolute beast! Arguably the best European PG of modern era. Think Jason Kidd who could shoot. And best of all, he had ice in his veins, he was as clutch as it gets. The reason he didn't make it in the NBA is that Portland simply didn't know what it had. Coach PJ Carlessimo probably just took one look at him and thought "Bah, European, already over 30, why bother?"

You compared Galis to Kerr? You are officially the biggest troll in this site's history.

Euroleague
09-24-2012, 04:50 PM
This is why posters hijack your threads and post stupid things to you.

A poster has acknowledged your great list and just shared their opinion which isnt ridiculous just a little different to yours, and you shoot him down like he has suggest Luke Walton is a HOF'er

RESPECT PEOPLES OPINIONS IF YOU WANT YOURS TO BE RESPECTED

Every single top level coach and player from Europe during the 80s 90s era has gone on record as officially saying Galis was the best European player they ever saw.

He is held as Euroleague's Michael Jordan by virtually every single European basketball historian.

Bodiroga is probably viewed as something like Euroleague's version of Larry Bird.

So saying Bodiroga was better than Galis is the equivalent of saying Bird was better than Jordan.

CavaliersFTW
09-24-2012, 04:52 PM
Every single top level coach and player from Europe during the 80s 90s era has gone on record as officially saying Galis was the best European player they ever saw.

He is held as Euroleague's Michael Jordan by virtually every single European basketball historian.

Bodiroga is probably viewed as something like Euroleague's version of Larry Bird.

So saying Bodiroga was better than Galis is the equivalent of saying Bird was better than Jordan.
And Anthony Parker was the Euroleague Wilt Chamberlain, what's your point?

Euroleague
09-24-2012, 04:53 PM
And Anthony Parker was the Euroleague Wilt Chamberlain, what's your point?

Anthony Parker MIGHT make a top 20 list of Americans to play in Europe. MAYBE.

Fiba basketball
09-24-2012, 05:44 PM

I heard a lot of people saying Petrovic , not Galis , was Jordan of Europe , I agree with you that Galis is better than Bodiroga but in my oppinion Petrovic is best European player not Galis .

Round Mound
09-24-2012, 07:11 PM
I Remember Oscar Schmidt...One of the Best Pure Shooters I`ve Seen.
Also, a Pretty Good Player was Spain`s Jofresa (something like that)...Maybe Some Remember Him.

sick_brah07
09-26-2012, 07:50 AM

Your missing the point to what I am saying. I am not disagreeing with you on this topic in fact I really don't have enough knowledge to even comment on this topic I have only watched bodiroga enough to comment on his game and that's only because I'm Yugoslavian.

All I am saying is you clearly know a lot about European basketball and enjoy it a lot which is great man. I myself enjoy watching fiba basketball but don't follow it any where close to how much I follow the nba.... A lot more posters would take your posts more seriously if you didn't shoot them down on there opinion.... Any poster who enjoys basketball as much as you do will appreciate your explanation and reason to your opinion, and no doubt would want to know more about certain players you clearly have a lot of knowledge on.... But when you tell people they have no idea what there talking about all the time they will all turn on you and you will see a lot more a.parker 2 time MVP

That's just my 2 cents

LBJFTW
09-26-2012, 08:26 AM
Your missing the point to what I am saying. I am not disagreeing with you on this topic in fact I really don't have enough knowledge to even comment on this topic I have only watched bodiroga enough to comment on his game and that's only because I'm Yugoslavian.

All I am saying is you clearly know a lot about European basketball and enjoy it a lot which is great man. I myself enjoy watching fiba basketball but don't follow it any where close to how much I follow the nba.... A lot more posters would take your posts more seriously if you didn't shoot them down on there opinion.... Any poster who enjoys basketball as much as you do will appreciate your explanation and reason to your opinion, and no doubt would want to know more about certain players you clearly have a lot of knowledge on.... But when you tell people they have no idea what there talking about all the time they will all turn on you and you will see a lot more a.parker 2 time MVP

That's just my 2 cents

We're still trying to figure Euroleague out. This guy lives in Arkansas, was blessed to be within driving distance of an NBA game as opposed to being overseas, and spends all his time following European players when he's not even European himself. :confusedshrug:

Owl
09-26-2012, 08:53 AM
Bob Kurland
http://www.sportslegendsphotos.com/prodimages/Basketball-Legends/BobKurlandBW.jpg

Not someone who would have been dominant like Kurland could but still worth a mention
Hank Gathers
http://byonestinvazion.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/03/hank-gathers.gif

ihoopallday
09-26-2012, 09:20 AM
Me. Decided to focus on school instead.

BuffaloBill
09-26-2012, 12:50 PM
Does Greg Oden count? He barely played in the nba