PDA

View Full Version : Best players who were never the best player in the league?

fpliii
09-25-2012, 10:25 PM
Who you got?

StateOfMind12
09-25-2012, 10:55 PM
I wonder where you got this thread idea from.... :rolleyes:

lol, for the record I did make this thread on another site, anyways it's probably Dwyane Wade unless some of you guys considered him the best at one point in 06 or from 09-11.

Other good candidates would be Charles Barkley, Karl Malone, Dirk Nowitzki, etc.

fpliii
09-25-2012, 10:56 PM

lol, for the record I did make this thread on another site, anyways it's probably Dwyane Wade unless some of you guys considered him the best at one point in 06 or from 09-11.

Other good candidates would be Charles Barkley, Karl Malone, Dirk Nowitzki, etc.

lol hey, I've been jacking threads from REDACTED for months (mostly on ESPN though)

they have some good discussions there, but it seems like most people don't actually watch games

BEAST Griffin
09-25-2012, 10:57 PM
Kobe Bryant :lol

StateOfMind12
09-25-2012, 10:58 PM
He is a legitimate candidate. One could argue that Kobe was never the best although I absolutely would not agree.

L.Kizzle
09-25-2012, 11:00 PM
Isiah Thomas

jlip
09-25-2012, 11:13 PM
Jerry West
Was Oscar ever really the "best" player in the league? His prime seemed to overlap Wilt's and Russell's primes.
Was peak Walton actually considered better than Kareem at the time?

TheMarkMadsen
09-25-2012, 11:16 PM
Allen iverson

noosaman
09-25-2012, 11:17 PM

Dirk was by far the best player in the NBA in 2011.

Dave3
09-25-2012, 11:17 PM
Barkley?

plowking
09-25-2012, 11:22 PM
Dirk was by far the best player in the NBA in 2011.

But you also have to take into account that he actually wasn't.

noosaman
09-25-2012, 11:24 PM
But you also have to take into account that he actually wasn't.

OK humor me. Who was better? No one came close in the playoffs and prior to his injury in the regular season, he absolutely dominated as did the Mavs. He was quite clearly the league's best player.

RRR3
09-25-2012, 11:26 PM
OK humor me. Who was better? No one came close in the playoffs and prior to his injury in the regular season, he absolutely dominated as did the Mavs. He was quite clearly the league's best player.
http://blogs.orlandosentinel.com/en_fuego/files/2012/04/dwight-howard1.jpg

:lebronamazed:

noosaman
09-25-2012, 11:27 PM
http://blogs.orlandosentinel.com/en_fuego/files/2012/04/dwight-howard1.jpg

:lebronamazed:

HAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHA.

Yeah, no.

RRR3
09-25-2012, 11:28 PM
HAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHA.

Yeah, no.
^mad

maybeshewill13
09-25-2012, 11:28 PM
Kobe Bryant

Freedom Kid7
09-25-2012, 11:30 PM
I don't think Isiah Thomas was ever considered the best player in the league (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-7BmIVHdl3o&feature=g-upl)

Deuce Bigalow
09-25-2012, 11:31 PM
Jerry West
Was Oscar ever really the "best" player in the league? His prime seemed to overlap Wilt's and Russell's primes.
Was peak Walton actually considered better than Kareem at the time?
West was the best in '69 and '70.

RRR3
09-25-2012, 11:32 PM
West was the best in '69 and '70.
Jlauber's hasn't even been posting here anymore, give it a ****ing rest already:facepalm

noosaman
09-25-2012, 11:32 PM
Kobe Bryant

He was the best player from 04-10

Deuce Bigalow
09-25-2012, 11:33 PM
Jlauber's hasn't even been posting here anymore, give it a ****ing rest already:facepalm
:facepalm
What does it have to do with Lauber?

Check Jerry's numbers in the '69 Finals and Playoffs.

RRR3
09-25-2012, 11:34 PM
What happened to Dirk being the "almighty"? Moved on and become a Kobetard, have we?:oldlol:

RRR3
09-25-2012, 11:35 PM
:facepalm
What does it have to do with Lauber?

Check Jerry's numbers in the '69 Finals and Playoffs.
Stop being intentionally obtuse

Deuce Bigalow
09-25-2012, 11:38 PM
Stop being intentionally obtuse
BBButthurt. I've noticed you are still butthurt.

noosaman
09-25-2012, 11:38 PM
What happened to Dirk being the "almighty"? Moved on and become a Kobetard, have we?:oldlol:

He is The Almighty, that doesn't change the fact that Kobe was on/past Jordan level from 05-08 and still better than the rest from 08-10.

Your boyfriend Lefraud has never been and never will be the league's best player. Not one player, GM, or coach in the NBA thinks he ever was the best player, either. He will only be remembered as the guy who won in a lockout shortened asterisk season when everyone else was hurt or traded away, and he had to hop on the jocks of two stars to even get the ring.

StateOfMind12
09-25-2012, 11:40 PM
Isiah was never the best player in the league but he's still not close to being the best player that was never the best.

Isiah gets so overrated on this site it's not even funny. Well, Isiah gets overrated in general so I'm not too surprised.

RRR3
09-25-2012, 11:40 PM
BBButthurt. I've noticed you are still butthurt.
Says the guy who threw a tantrum when I negged him.:rolleyes:

He is The Almighty, that doesn't change the fact that Kobe was on/past Jordan level from 05-08 and still better than the rest from 08-10.

Your boyfriend Lefraud has never been and never will be the league's best player. Not one player, GM, or coach in the NBA thinks he ever was the best player, either. He will only be remembered as the guy who one in a lockout shortened asterisk season when everyone else was hurt or traded away and had to hop on the jocks of two stars to even get the ring.
You're right Kobe is the GOAT and LeBron is the worst player ever.

noosaman
09-25-2012, 11:42 PM

You're right Kobe is the GOAT and LeBron is the worst player ever.

Not saying he sucks but he's never been the best player. He's a small forward equivalent of Shaq.

RRR3
09-25-2012, 11:43 PM
Not saying he sucks but he's never been the best player. He's a small forward equivalent of Shaq.
LOL is that supposed to be an insult? Shaq arguably has the most dominant peak ever, I'm glad you think so highly of LeBron:applause: :applause:

Freedom Kid7
RRR3, Dwight was good during the '11 season, but Jesus Christ his team got beat by Atlanta. That is not an achievement and if the MVP did go to him, then that would have been a disgrace to the award IMO.

Deuce Bigalow

When have a threw a tantrum? ou wrote me an essay, that was clear butthurt.

noosaman
09-25-2012, 11:44 PM
LOL is that supposed to be an insult? Shaq arguably has the most dominant peak ever, I'm glad you think so highly of LeBron:applause: :applause:

I think you misunderstood the analogy. He;s only great because of his physical size. he has almost no actual skill/talent.

RRR3
09-25-2012, 11:46 PM
I think you misunderstood the analogy. He;s only great because of his physical size. he has almost no actual skill/talent.
Yeah, you're dumb.

plowking
09-25-2012, 11:49 PM

Lebron, Wade, Kobe, Howard.

Playing better for a series and winning doesn't make you the best player. It just means you played the best at the time.

RRR3
09-25-2012, 11:51 PM
Lebron, Wade, Kobe, Howard.

Playing better for a series and winning doesn't make you the best player. It just means you played the best at the time.
Don't engage him bro. He's a troll who thinks LeBron is a scrub

plowking
09-25-2012, 11:56 PM
Don't engage him bro. He's a troll who thinks LeBron is a scrub

Hes an honorary Australian. Hes cool.

noosaman
09-25-2012, 11:57 PM

Hell yeah man! Thanks for the love.

RRR3
09-25-2012, 11:58 PM
He's a racist guy who trolls the board. Not exactly my definition of "cool".

MiamiThrice
09-25-2012, 11:58 PM
Lol @ the idiot that said Dwight was better than Dirk in 2011. Can't even beat Atlanta in the first round? Meanwhile Dirk takes a team without any other all-stars to the NBA Title while beating 3 consecutive oppenents(LAL,OKC,MIA) as the underdog. That playoff run Nowitzki earned the title, Horsecock.

Dirk was also the best player in 2006, 2007.

I think I'll go with Kobe Bryant. Good player, but he was never the best in the league. In his best individual years his team was irrelevant and by the time he got Gasol, LeBron was far superior.

StateOfMind12
09-26-2012, 12:00 AM
Lol @ the idiot that said Dwight was better than Dirk in 2011. Can't even beat Atlanta in the first round?.
Funny how you say this and then you consider Dirk the best in 2007 when he couldn't even beat Golden State.

Legends66NBA7
09-26-2012, 12:01 AM
RRR3, Dwight was good during the '11 season, but Jesus Christ his team got beat by Atlanta. That is not an achievement and if the MVP did go to him, then that would have been a disgrace to the award IMO.

I honestly didn't even think he was in the race, at least not the media angle. I can see if he did win the MVP that year, it would be similar to Dirk's 07 MVP (losing to Atlanta).

With that said, he did have a case.

plowking
09-26-2012, 12:02 AM
He's a racist guy who trolls the board. Not exactly my definition of "cool".

He is racist, and he does troll the board, but what you gonna do? :confusedshrug:

Its a forum. And a lot of the shit he writes, I don't think he truly believes either.

noosaman
09-26-2012, 12:04 AM
He is racist, and he does troll the board, but what you gonna do? :confusedshrug:

Its a forum. And a lot of the shit he writes, I don't think he truly believes either.

Racist how? I like to think of it more as I am thought provoking.

Legends66NBA7
09-26-2012, 12:05 AM

You can always report it. If you really wanted to do something, make a thread and ask for petition his ban.

I believe he's banned once already, under his old account.

I'm with you on that too, which is sad since he's wasting his and everyone else's time.

RRR3
09-26-2012, 12:05 AM
Lol @ the idiot that said Dwight was better than Dirk in 2011. Can't even beat Atlanta in the first round? Meanwhile Dirk takes a team without any other all-stars to the NBA Title while beating 3 consecutive oppenents(LAL,OKC,MIA) as the underdog. That playoff run Nowitzki earned the title, Horsecock.

I think I'll go with Kobe Bryant. Good player, but he was never the best in the league. In his best individual years his team was irrelevant and by the time he got Gasol, LeBron was far superior.
A Heat fan calling Dirk better than Wade in 2006, eh?

http://images.t-nation.com/forum_images/8/f/8f8cc_ORIG-intredasting.jpg

MiamiThrice
09-26-2012, 12:06 AM
Funny how you say this and then you consider Dirk the best in 2007 when he couldn't even beat Golden State.

Do you want to compare 2007 Golden State to 2011 Atlanta?

Golden State was a great team and truth be told they were probably the worst possible matchup for Dallas in that entire playoffs. Don Nelson knew EVERYTHING about the Mavericks especially Dirk since he became his father figure once he reached the NBA. He really laid out the blueprint for how to guard Dirk before Dirk reinvented his game. Avery Johnson got outcoached hard.

Dallas was 0-2 vs Golden State in that regular season.
They were 67-13 vs the rest of the league.

It was no surprise Golden State won as matchup wise it was heavily in their favor.

Dirk had a great year individually and his best teammate was Josh Howard. 25 PPG 50/40/90 shooting and 9 boards per game while leading the league in Win shares proving how instrumental he was to his teams success. When Dirk struggled in the playoffs you knew it was over for Dallas because the year before he nearly carried them to the title all by himself.

Lol @ acting like Dwight did anything in 2011 people will remember ten years from now.

RRR3
You can always report it. If you really wanted to do something, make a thread and ask for petition his ban.

I believe he's banned once already, under his old account.

I'm with you on that too, which is sad since he's wasting his and everyone else's time.
Twice actually, thomaspynchon and brisbaneman both got permabanned. Agree on 2nd part.

tmacattack33
David Robinson.

Steve Nash.

Karl Malone.

Scottie Pippen.

shaq2000
09-26-2012, 12:07 AM
In no particular order:

Allen Iverson
Oscar Robertson
Charles Barkley
Karl Malone
Elgin Baylor
Julius Erving
Kevin McHale
Bill Walton
Patrick Ewing
Clyde Drexler
David Robinson
Isiah Thomas
Alonzo Mourning
Gary Payton
Steve Nash
Dirk Nowitzki
Chris Paul
Dwyane Wade
Dwight Howard
Kevin Durant

But as far as ranking them or choosing the best... hmmm

Legends66NBA7
09-26-2012, 12:07 AM

I had someone bring this argument to me too. I can't say I really agree with it, but there is a case.

I'm with you that Dirk wasn't better all year and certainly not the Finals, but he was better in the regular season than Wade, at least.

RRR3
09-26-2012, 12:08 AM
I had someone bring this argument to me too. I can't say I really agree with it, but there is a case.

I'm with you that Dirk wasn't better all year, but he was better in the regular season that Wade, at least.
I just think it's weird, considering that poster stans LBJ and Wade and hates on Kobe all the time, that's all:confusedshrug:

MiamiThrice
09-26-2012, 12:08 AM

http://images.t-nation.com/forum_images/8/f/8f8cc_ORIG-intredasting.jpg

Wade had the better Finals series(the best all-time actually) however I judge the entire year by more than that. Dirk overall was more impressive in the playoffs and more impressive during the regular season. His series vs San Antonio and Phoenix were ****ing epic.

Wade didn't even make 1st team All NBA that year.

noosaman
09-26-2012, 12:10 AM
I just must say it's funny how the "white get whiter" topic is still up...not once have I ever been racist. Not that I care.

This place is populated by 14 yr olds anyways

StateOfMind12
09-26-2012, 12:11 AM
It was no surprise Golden State won as matchup wise it was heavily in their favor.
Atlanta Hawks also had the matchup advantage over the Orlando Magic. Hawks were 3-1 vs. the Magic that season. The Hawks beat the Magic due to strategy. Larry Drew just did a great coach adjusting and coaching in that series.

Also, Dirk played horrible in the 2007 series vs. the warriors while Dwight was actually pretty good in the 2011 series vs. the Hawks, his team just sucked.

There is a difference for a star between losing because you didn't perform to your standard and losing because the rest of your team didn't play up to theirs.

Dirk's Mavericks lost in 2007 because Dirk didn't play well enough.
Dwight's Magic lost in 2011 because Dwight's teammates didn't play well enough.

You can check their stats if you want to compare how they did individually.

Lol @ acting like Dwight did anything in 2011 people will remember ten years from now.
And the only thing people will remember about this year was how Dirk was the first MVP to lose in the 1st round and have his MVP conference be after he was eliminated from the playoffs.

LakersFan626
09-26-2012, 12:13 AM

Kobe was the best in 06, 07, and 08 (not even close), as well as 09 and 2010 (LeBron was close both years as well as Wade in 09 but Kobe delivered when it mattered most and had enough game winners in 2010 to catapult the Lakers to a number 1 seed when they would have been a lower seed had they not happened). Dirk was in no way the best in 06 and 07...

Freedom Kid7
09-26-2012, 12:13 AM
Wade had the better Finals series(the best all-time actually) however I judge the entire year by more than that. Dirk overall was more impressive in the playoffs and more impressive during the regular season. His series vs San Antonio and Phoenix were ****ing epic.

Wade didn't even make 1st team All NBA that year.
:applause: . I'd rep you if I could. Good to know I can agree with something you said (the overall playoffs and RS).

Also, RRR3, respond to my post. And to Legends, I feel that the Magic didn't win enough games to be compared to Dirk's 07 run if Dwight won the MVP. Dwight played well, put up good numbers, but his team wasn't necessarily elite at the time and they got knocked out by Atlanta

plowking
09-26-2012, 12:17 AM
Racist how? I like to think of it more as I am thought provoking.

Haha. Just that you think there is some agenda against white players, and once you make that point, you usually make a disparaging comment toward black people or players.

Going to the valley this week? Magic City is having a re opening thing. Sounds decent.

Legends66NBA7
09-26-2012, 12:18 AM
And to Legends, I feel that the Magic didn't win enough games to be compared to Dirk's 07 run if Dwight won the MVP. Dwight played well, put up good numbers, but his team wasn't necessarily elite at the time and they got knocked out by Atlanta

Yeah, I get that... the whole "team needs to win more games to garner more votes for MVP" poll. I agree with latter part too.

All I'm saying is that the case is there. Maybe the Dirk 07 wasn't the best example, but that's what I was thinking for the moment.

RRR3
09-26-2012, 12:18 AM
:applause: . I'd rep you if I could. Good to know I can agree with something you said (the overall playoffs and RS).

Also, RRR3, respond to my post. And to Legends, I feel that the Magic didn't win enough games to be compared to Dirk's 07 run if Dwight won the MVP. Dwight played well, put up good numbers, but his team wasn't necessarily elite at the time and they got knocked out by Atlanta
http://i2.kym-cdn.com/entries/icons/original/000/007/423/untitle.JPG

LOL JK. D12 or LBJ the best in 2011 IMO. One series doesn't change much for me. D12 did great against the Hawks, his teammates played like doo-doo though. LeBron blew it in the finals, but he was still great the majority of the year.

noosaman
09-26-2012, 12:20 AM
Haha. Just that you think there is some agenda against white players, and once you make that point, you usually make a disparaging comment toward black people or players.

Going to the valley this week? Magic City is having a re opening thing. Sounds decent.

Where is that? I was thinking of getting really sweaty inside Kalibar then going for classy older women at Cloudland...you?

Freedom Kid7
09-26-2012, 12:23 AM
LOL JK. D12 or LBJ the best in 2011 IMO. One series doesn't change much for me. D12 did great against the Hawks, his teammates played like doo-doo though. LeBron blew it in the finals, but he was still great the majority of the year.
Alrite, I understand your point. I disagree, but your argument is a valid one

plowking
09-26-2012, 12:24 AM
Where is that? I was thinking of getting really sweaty inside Kalibar then going for classy older women at Cloudland...you?

Umm its near Electric Playground if you know where that is. Or the GPO, you should know that. Essentially just across from the Met. Its more of a hip hop club type thing. Not really my thing in terms of the vibe and crowd (too much dancing), but the music is good.

Kalibar? Oh yeah. I might be at the Press Club as well, so I might make a stroll down there. Maybe finally catch up and have a few beers.

MiamiThrice
09-26-2012, 12:24 AM
Atlanta Hawks also had the matchup advantage over the Orlando Magic. Hawks were 3-1 vs. the Magic that season. The Hawks beat the Magic due to strategy. Larry Drew just did a great coach adjusting and coaching in that series.

Also, Dirk played horrible in the 2007 series vs. the warriors while Dwight was actually pretty good in the 2011 series vs. the Hawks, his team just sucked.

There is a difference for a star between losing because you didn't perform to your standard and losing because the rest of your team didn't play up to theirs.

Dirk's Mavericks lost in 2007 because Dirk didn't play well enough.
Dwight's Magic lost in 2011 because Dwight's teammates didn't play well enough.

You can check their stats if you want to compare how they did individually.

And the only thing people will remember about this year was how Dirk was the first MVP to lose in the 1st round and have his MVP conference be after he was eliminated from the playoffs.

The Atlanta Hawks and Orlando Magic were both irrelevant teams. None of them had any shot whatsoever at the title. I could give two shits about what happened in that series between mediocre teams.

In 2007 Dallas was an elite team with legit title aspirations. Other than Golden State the only one that could have beat them would have been SA(who went on to win the championship) and I still think Dallas would have won.

The fact is that Golden State swept Dallas in the regular season while Dallas literally steamrolled the rest of the league. It was an unfortunate matchup and basketball is a team game as evidenced by this fact.

Dirk was still the best player in basketball that year. Anyone that discards an entire years worth of footage/skills/gameplay because of a weeks worth of games is a ****ing idiot.

Anyone see Dirk losing to the ****ing Hawks? I know I don't LOL. Replace Dwight with MVP Dirk in 2011 and Orlando becomes the best team not named Miami in the Eastern conference.

Next.

noosaman
09-26-2012, 12:26 AM
Umm its near Electric Playground if you know where that is. Or the GPO, you should know that. Essentially just across from the Met. Its more of a hip hop club type thing. Not really my thing in terms of the vibe and crowd (too much dancing), but the music is good.

Kalibar? Oh yeah. I might be at the Press Club as well, so I might make a stroll down there. Maybe finally catch up and have a few beers.

Yeah man. I am not a big hip hop club guy unless I am smashed. Remember once it's 11 the Kalibar gets packed!!!

plowking
09-26-2012, 12:31 AM
Yeah man. I am not a big hip hop club guy unless I am smashed. Remember once it's 11 the Kalibar gets packed!!!

I'll be there at 12 yelling out 'noosamaaaaaan' and seeing if anyone responds. :oldlol:

Is there still a covercharge at Cloudland?

noosaman
09-26-2012, 12:34 AM
I'll be there at 12 yelling out 'noosamaaaaaan' and seeing if anyone responds. :oldlol:

Is there still a covercharge at Cloudland?

Not that I know of, but you can just get in if you go to the bar right next to it, by the way. They share a common corridor.

If you see me, I'll be trying to pick up some university girl, lol. That place is off the hook!

MiamiThrice
09-26-2012, 12:35 AM
Kobe was the best in 06, 07, and 08 (not even close), as well as 09 and 2010 (LeBron was close both years as well as Wade in 09 but Kobe delivered when it mattered most and had enough game winners in 2010 to catapult the Lakers to a number 1 seed when they would have been a lower seed had they not happened). Dirk was in no way the best in 06 and 07...

What did Kobe do in 06 and 07?

Oh yeah he lost in the first round and his team for the most part was irrelevant. LA went from yearly title favorite to irrelevancy after trading Shaq and before getting Gasol. Kobe put up good scoring numbers individiaully, but it wasn't translating to wins.

Dirk led the league in win shares in both 2006 and 2007, easily beating Kobe both years. Now the way win shares works is if your team sucks its actually going to help you because your important is recognized. it shows how many wins you bring. Dirk had more in both years despite Kobes crap teammates.

In 2006 Dirk had the best overall playofff run of any player. He put up 27-13 on 53% shooting vs the Spurs who were at their peak defensively winning one of the best best series of all-time. He had 37 points and 15 rebounds in Game 7 while going 20-20 from the line and 11-20 from the field. Vs the Suns in the next round he put up 28 PPG and 13 RPG. Dirk stepped up his rebounding big time in the postseason proving that he was willing to put his body on the line when it really matter(the playoffs).

While Dirk was making all of these impressive achievements Kobe was at home jerking off to Bangbros after the first round.

In 2007 Dirk led his team to a 67-15 record with Josh Howard as his best teammate while winning the MVP Award.

Gifted Mind
09-26-2012, 12:40 AM
In no particular order:

Allen Iverson
Oscar Robertson
Charles Barkley
Karl Malone
Elgin Baylor
Julius Erving
Kevin McHale
Bill Walton
Patrick Ewing
Clyde Drexler
David Robinson
Isiah Thomas
Alonzo Mourning
Gary Payton
Steve Nash
Dirk Nowitzki
Chris Paul
Dwyane Wade
Dwight Howard
Kevin Durant

But as far as ranking them or choosing the best... hmmm

A very well done list and summary :applause:

I agree none of those players were ever the best in the league, and all of them were still very good players.

KG215
09-26-2012, 01:08 AM

Your boyfriend Lefraud has never been and never will be the league's best player. Not one player, GM, or coach in the NBA thinks he ever was the best player, either. He will only be remembered as the guy who won in a lockout shortened asterisk season when everyone else was hurt or traded away, and he had to hop on the jocks of two stars to even get the ring.

If anyone questioned your ignorance and whether you were a troll or not before this post, the bolded should be enough for anyone to make up their mind.

maybeshewill13
09-26-2012, 01:11 AM

LMAO! :roll:

kennethgriffin
09-26-2012, 01:18 AM
kobe bryant... he was never the best at any time yo!

noosaman
09-26-2012, 01:20 AM
If anyone questioned your ignorance and whether you were a troll or not before this post, the bolded should be enough for anyone to make up their mind.

Many NBA players from Cassell to Mullins said he was at or better than Jordan

TheeBeast
09-26-2012, 02:37 AM

http://i.imgur.com/Td1V3.png

ILLsmak
09-26-2012, 02:44 AM

I came into this thread just to hear this response and lol at the backlash.

so:

lol

-Smak

KG215
09-26-2012, 03:25 AM
Many NBA players from Cassell to Mullins said he was at or better than Jordan

Many players huh? Care to name more than two and maybe actually provide some sort of proof? I'm guessing they were saying sometime during that 2005-2008 stretch which would make them "prisoner's of the moment." Not that their opinions aren't worth noting but, Kobe at his very best, was not better than Jordan at his best. 2005-2008 Kobe is nowhere close to 1990-1993 Jordan. He might've been in some facets of the game (mainly scoring) but not as an all-around two-way player.

2005-2008 Kobe was not at his best defensively. 2008 he was close but the other years he wasn't as good on the defensive end as he was during the 3-peat years. Jordan, on the other hand, was the best two-way perimeter player in the NBA from 1990-1993, and you could argue best two-way player period, including bigs.

TheBigVeto
09-26-2012, 03:31 AM

This is correct.

L.A. Jazz
09-26-2012, 06:06 AM
my candidates are Karl Malone and David Robinson. they are both MVPs but they never were the best players in the game.

(for me Kobe was the best from 06-08, before Shaq and Duncan were and 09-now Lebron is better. so he is not on my list)

maybeshewill13
09-26-2012, 08:13 AM
my candidates are Karl Malone and David Robinson. they are both MVPs but they never were the best players in the game.

(for me Kobe was the best from 06-08, before Shaq and Duncan were and 09-now Lebron is better. so he is not on my list)

Dirk and Nash > Kobe

You could MAYBE argue Kobe one year, but that's certainly no given.

Rojogaqu11
09-26-2012, 09:24 AM
So Kobe was voted best player of the last decade by pretty much every poll by experts, and you could probably make an hour long compilation of all the commentaries made by coaches, players, analysts, etc. through many years praising Kobe as the best player in the league, even compared to MJ (another topic), with performances in his threepeat that even made some question if Shaq (the MDE) was really the best in the Lakers, etc. but here some actually believe he wasn't even the best player for a single year... not even in his MVP year, or after going to the finals for 3 straight years and winning 2 back to back... No current player, and very few before him, have enjoyed such success along with such individual credentials.

Kids nowadays... :biggums:

No matter if you're a fan of his or you're not, Kobe's already a legend. You just gotta deal with it.

Jacks3
09-26-2012, 09:48 AM
Dirk and Nash > Kobe
:oldlol:

kNicKz
09-26-2012, 10:11 AM
If you don't think kobe has ever been the best player in the league then you're definitely mad

Whoah10115
09-26-2012, 11:08 AM
What does best player mean? The best in a single season or actually being the best.

Agree with Derrick Rose being the best PG or not is irrelevant. He was most certainly not the best last year and he won't play for maybe half of this year. People haven't knocked him down. Josh Smith had a better season than Dirk but is Josh Smith a better player than Dirk?

Was Dirk ever the best player in the league? No, but he was the best player in 2011. He had the best season. I just don't get how people do this, so I'm asking.

Mr Know It All
09-26-2012, 11:22 AM
Dirk Nowitzki 2006 Stats:

PER: 28.1 (1st)
Win Shares: 17.7 (1st)
Win Shares Per 48 Minutes: .275 (1st)
Led Mavericks to 60 wins and to the NBA Finals on a terrific playoff run

Dirk Nowitzki was the best player in the league in 2006, it's actually one of the more pathetic oversights in NBA history that he is not considered as such. Again, the only way I can explain this is racism, because to not acknowledge his peak stats this year is quite sad and speaks to the ignorance of many NBA fans.

Dirk Nowitzki 2007 Stats:

PER: 27.6 (1st)
Win Shares: 16.3 (1st)
Win Shares Per 48 Minutes: .278 (1st)
Again Dirk leads the Mavericks to 60+ wins on 40/50/90 shooting splits. Incredible peak statistics continue and yet so does the oversight.

Anyone saying Dirk was not the best player at this time in the league (or at least had one of the top three best arguments) clearly has an agenda of their own or is completely ignorant to his performance during these seasons.

Whoah10115
09-26-2012, 11:43 AM
Dirk Nowitzki 2006 Stats:

PER: 28.1 (1st)
Win Shares: 17.7 (1st)
Win Shares Per 48 Minutes: .275 (1st)
Led Mavericks to 60 wins and to the NBA Finals on a terrific playoff run

Dirk Nowitzki was the best player in the league in 2006, it's actually one of the more pathetic oversights in NBA history that he is not considered as such. Again, the only way I can explain this is racism, because to not acknowledge his peak stats this year is quite sad and speaks to the ignorance of many NBA fans.

Dirk Nowitzki 2007 Stats:

PER: 27.6 (1st)
Win Shares: 16.3 (1st)
Win Shares Per 48 Minutes: .278 (1st)
Again Dirk leads the Mavericks to 60+ wins on 40/50/90 shooting splits. Incredible peak statistics continue and yet so does the oversight.

Anyone saying Dirk was not the best player at this time in the league (or at least had one of the top three best arguments) clearly has an agenda of their own or is completely ignorant to his performance during these seasons.

Yes, because you can't make an argument for Kobe Bryant.

Yes, because Nash didn't lead the Suns to the best record in the league the year before (the biggest turnaround in NBA history), go farther in the playoffs, and then only lose to Dirk in the WCF's the next year when they had no Amare.

Thank you :bowdown:

kennethgriffin
09-26-2012, 12:30 PM
again... its kobe bryant!

its always been kobe bryant

why do kobe fans fight with people who argue and troll about the same things every day? just let them win. its all that helps them sleep at night lol

StateOfMind12
09-26-2012, 12:55 PM
Whoever thinks Dirk was the best player in 2006 or 2007 must not care about anything else other than scoring and advanced metrics because that is their only argument.

Mr. I'm So Rad
09-26-2012, 12:59 PM
Dirk had a great year individually and his best teammate was Josh Howard. .

Why do people talk about Josh Howard like he was a scrub back then? I know he's fallen of the face of the earth now but back then dude was a capable 20ppg scorer, a good rebounder and defender and played much better than Dirk in that Golden State series.

Ikill
09-26-2012, 01:00 PM

I'm with you that Dirk wasn't better all year and certainly not the Finals, but he was better in the regular season than Wade, at least.
There regular season are pretty close Wade averaged 27/7/6/2/1 59% ts he scored more with less shots. He was clearly a better passer/playmaker and he also averaged near 6 rebounds which is more impressive than big getting 9 a game.

Mr. I'm So Rad
09-26-2012, 01:01 PM
So Kobe was voted best player of the last decade by pretty much every poll by experts, and you could probably make an hour long compilation of all the commentaries made by coaches, players, analysts, etc. through many years praising Kobe as the best player in the league, even compared to MJ (another topic), with performances in his threepeat that even made some question if Shaq (the MDE) was really the best in the Lakers, etc. but here some actually believe he wasn't even the best player for a single year... not even in his MVP year, or after going to the finals for 3 straight years and winning 2 back to back... No current player, and very few before him, have enjoyed such success along with such individual credentials.

Kids nowadays... :biggums:

No matter if you're a fan of his or you're not, Kobe's already a legend. You just gotta deal with it.

Welcome to the internet

RRR3
09-26-2012, 01:19 PM
What is with this revisionist history going on with Dirk stans? I don't remember anyone trying to argue Dirk was as good as Kobe back in 2006-07, let alone better than him:facepalm Kobe at his best has always been better than Dirk at his best, when did this become a debate? :biggums: