PDA

View Full Version : Lakers games will only air on Time Warner Cable.

bdreason
09-27-2012, 02:57 AM
Didn't see a thread, but right now the new Time Warner SportsNet, which will be carrying every Lakers game this season, does not have a contract with any other providers besides Time Warner Cable.

That means unless you have Time Warner Cable, the only Lakers games you will see are the nationally televised games.

Now, a deal could still be made before the season starts, but I've heard Time Warner is asking for $4 per subscriber. That means that if Cox, or Verizon, or Direct-TV want to carry Time Warner SportsNet, they will have to pay $4 for every customer they have in Southern California.

These deals often go down to the wire from what I've read, but if I was a die-hard Lakers fan, I certainly wouldn't risk it. I remember the Yankees had a similar situation a few years back, and a contract was not signed until like halfway through the season.

bdreason
09-27-2012, 02:59 AM
And I realize this isn't the Lakers forum, but I thought it was an interesting enough topic to post here.

ihoopallday
09-27-2012, 03:03 AM
Interesting. What if you have NBA league pass?

SAKOTXA
09-27-2012, 03:05 AM
They'll eventually get the deal done before the season. No worries.

Mgamer20o0
09-27-2012, 03:17 AM
Didn't see a thread, but right now the new Time Warner SportsNet, which will be carrying every Lakers game this season, does not have a contract with any other providers besides Time Warner Cable.

That means unless you have Time Warner Cable, the only Lakers games you will see are the nationally televised games.

Now, a deal could still be made before the season starts, but I've heard Time Warner is asking for $4 per subscriber. That means that if Cox, or Verizon, or Direct-TV want to carry Time Warner SportsNet, they will have to pay $4 for every customer they have in Southern California.

These deals often go down to the wire from what I've read, but if I was a die-hard Lakers fan, I certainly wouldn't risk it. I remember the Yankees had a similar situation a few years back, and a contract was not signed until like halfway through the season.
TMC isnt even a option around here. $4 a sub is way too much for the station.

KeyNote
09-27-2012, 03:20 AM

I've read if no deal is done, league pass will only be broadcasting laker away games

kurt_rambis
09-27-2012, 03:27 AM
They'll eventually get the deal done before the season. No worries.
you think so? time warner is paying $200 million a year for exclusive rights, i don't see them being all that eager to work out a deal with other providers

flipogb
09-27-2012, 03:28 AM
the title of the thread should somehow allude to the fact that deals will eventually happen .only question is when and how many games ,if any, will we miss

flipogb
09-27-2012, 03:30 AM
you think so? time warner is paying $200 million a year for exclusive rights, i don't see them being all that eager to work out a deal with other providers

its the opposite , that is exactly why they have to make a deal. they cannot afford to pay that from their own subscriptions only.

All Net
09-27-2012, 03:33 AM
I've read if no deal is done, league pass will only be broadcasting laker away games

Yeah that would suck

kurt_rambis
09-27-2012, 03:38 AM
its the opposite , that is exactly why they have to make a deal. they cannot afford to pay that from their own subscriptions only.
that's a fair point, but if their goal is to lure people away from directv and dish network making the lakers available on those services wouldn't really make sense. they're also expected to try and get exclusive access to the dodgers next year

Noof
09-27-2012, 03:46 AM
I already have Time Warner. :D This will be the only time that's a good thing.

oh the horror
09-27-2012, 03:55 AM
I already have Time Warner. :D This will be the only time that's a good thing.

Aint that the truth. Time Warner usually sucks.

OG LeeTSkeeT
09-27-2012, 04:06 AM
was gon drop TWC but now guess I gotta keep it and get verizon fios internet.

monkeypox
09-27-2012, 04:17 AM
From what I've heard the terrestrial cable companies will likely get a deal done before the start of the regular season if not the pre-season. TWC isn't actually in direct competition with them since all the cable companies have carved up the land to create their little monopolies. For them it's just seeing who blinks first on price.

For DirecTV it's supposedly a whole other ball game. All the land based cable companies are super butt hurt about DirecTV. (If you've every switched between the two you'll see the rivalry goes all the way down to the guy that installs the cable because they'll always complain about how horrible the other service is.) Sunday ticket was a huge win for DTV, snagging a bunch of cable customers away. As TWC sees it, this Laker deal has been the first major strike back at the satellites that any cable company has had. There was a TWC cable rep on the radio here and he literally said that if a deal with DTV ever get's done they're going to make sure they take an "arm and a leg" with them at the very least.

With the sudden increase in demand for Laker games the Cable companies are salavating at the chance to take a chunk out of DTV. Which is why TWC is paying 200 mill a year for the rights.

OmniStrife
09-27-2012, 04:52 AM
I'd be mad pissed if they won't show the Lakers on LP...

It costs too much money for that kind of crap.

bagelred
09-27-2012, 07:47 AM
James Dolan owns Cablevision and we had the Knicks blacked out from Time Warner for bunch of games last season. But Linsanity came along and the outrage forced two sides to make a deal. So if that deal happened, I'm sure a deal will take place when the outrage factor gets high.

swi7ch
09-27-2012, 09:27 AM
FirstRowSports has them all.

Optimus Prime
09-27-2012, 11:55 AM
Those league pass rumors better not be true but I wouldn't be surprised if they were true. Cable...dish...media companies just love to screw us all over to make a few bucks.:rant

:kobe:

krazymofo
09-27-2012, 12:18 PM
Any news on AT&T Uverse users? lawl

IGOTGAME
09-27-2012, 12:29 PM
FirstRowSports has them all.

for shit quality.

If I can't watch my Lakers than I'm not sure if I need/really want league pass this year.

kennethgriffin
09-27-2012, 12:48 PM
you guys are dumb if you think the nba wouldnt have rights to the nba... league pass isnt an outside source. its the nba.

exclusive rights my a** LOL

Levity
09-27-2012, 12:53 PM
To all those concerned about league pass. Yes, league pass will stilll stream lakers games. Unless, of course, you live in southern california. Then, League pass games will be blacked out. So TWC reigns supreme down here when it comes to laker games.

And a little over a year ago i dropped that piece of shit provider, time warner cable, for fios. And then this bullshit happens. O well. I have no doubt that cable providers in the area make a deal with TW. because if they didnt, they would without a doubt lose a big chunk of their customers. Bars and restaurants alone would all have to switch to TWC if they wanted their regular basketball fans to come in during the season.

kennethgriffin
09-27-2012, 12:56 PM
To all those concerned about league pass. Yes, league pass will stilll stream lakers games. Unless, of course, you live in southern california. Then, League pass games will be blacked out. So TWC reigns supreme down here when it comes to laker games.

And a little over a year ago i dropped that piece of shit provider, time warner cable, for fios. And then this bullshit happens. O well. I have no doubt that cable providers in the area make a deal with TW. because if they didnt, they would without a doubt lose a big chunk of their customers. Bars and restaurants alone would all have to switch to TWC if they wanted their regular basketball fans to come in during the season.

exactly

its the same thing we have here in ottawa for the hockey league pass senators games.

lakerspng
09-27-2012, 12:57 PM
that's a fair point, but if their goal is to lure people away from directv and dish network making the lakers available on those services wouldn't really make sense. they're also expected to try and get exclusive access to the dodgers next year

their goal is to force DirecTV, charter, Cox, etc to pay as high a per-subscriber licensing fee as possible to carry it on their networks, with the threat that Lakers fan will leave them if they can't view the games in their area. And they will get a premium per subscriber fee. Directv and others may just charge it back to the consumer though.

flipogb
09-27-2012, 01:41 PM
any filipinos here that have Time Warner ?

do they have filipino channels (TFC) ?

if it has that and laker games then I will probably switch

ShawnieMac06
09-27-2012, 04:27 PM
To clarify the OP's first post, this is for Time Warner subscribers who live in Southern California and Hawaii. The Lakers' designated broadcast territory also includes Las Vegas, but the entire Vegas region is covered by Cox Cable.

The new channels (one each in English and Spanish) launch this coming Monday, and now since Time Warner just added NFL Network last week, they have a bit more leverage in regards to luring new subscribers from DirecTV or Dish Network.

colorz
09-27-2012, 06:49 PM

Yeah they should, I had Time Warner a couple months ago and it was there.

And I'll be pissed if Lakers games aren't there. Not a fan of them, but I like to watch their games.

Math2
09-27-2012, 07:34 PM

Hopefully for SoCal the NBA will lift the 75 mile limit (or whatever it is) if the deal doesn't go down.

Levity
09-27-2012, 07:54 PM
Hopefully for SoCal the NBA will lift the 75 mile limit (or whatever it is) if the deal doesn't go down.

That's what im hoping for, as well. I dont mind paying the $100+ for league pass, considering i would be see up to 4 other teams games. But if Laker games are indeed blacked out, there wouldnt be enough incentive for me to buy it.

kuniva_dAMiGhTy
09-27-2012, 08:01 PM

Unless you're a huge football fan (they just picked up NFL Network and Redzone), TWC is probably the most reliable cable provider out there right now. Haven't had any problems in a minute.

crisoner
09-27-2012, 08:05 PM
I live in the Bay so don't matter for me....

LETS GO LAKESHOW!!!!!

d.bball.guy
09-27-2012, 08:17 PM

I have Time Warner and they have TFC. My parents watch TFC all the time :lol

KeyNote
09-27-2012, 09:33 PM

That's huge news for me because I'm supposed to be moving to florida while I attend school...sweet

flipogb
09-28-2012, 12:21 AM
I have Time Warner and they have TFC. My parents watch TFC all the time :lol
just checked, wth is wrong with Time Warner. Im in Pasadena CA which is like 20 miles or less from Staples and I can't get TWC

KeyNote
09-28-2012, 01:17 AM
just checked, wth is wrong with Time Warner. Im in Pasadena CA which is like 20 miles or less from Staples and I can't get TWC

HEY SAME!!! :D

yea only charter and u-verse (in some areas) around here...but I just got DirectTV on friday..so good...i'm confident a deal will be made by the opener

flipogb
09-28-2012, 02:32 AM
HEY SAME!!! :D

yea only charter and u-verse (in some areas) around here...but I just got DirectTV on friday..so good...i'm confident a deal will be made by the opener
i sure hope so, but for now I think il just go get some tickets for a preseason game so I can at least watch one since I think we are gonna miss all of them on TV before a deal is made right before the season opener

Duncan21formvp
09-28-2012, 12:23 PM
Wait I thought Time Warner Cable was bought out by Comcast?