PDA

View Full Version : What's the most overrated moment in NBA history?

jongib369
09-27-2012, 10:14 PM
Regular Season AND playoff?

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_wY6tlEv4Ff4/S7K-W9BiiZI/AAAAAAAAALI/3Ymoz7IGnPE/s1600/AwesomeOlajuwon.jpg

http://i53.tinypic.com/2uf7j9w.png

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2197/2421164818_c5ca37f62a_o.jpg

http://images.china.cn/attachement/jpg/site1007/20120102/001372a9ae05106b99f717.jpg

B-Low
09-27-2012, 10:22 PM
Jordan's stupid "switch hand" layup against the Lakers in the 91 finals. I have NEVER got the hype around that shot. It was unnecessary and he did things 10 times more spectacular than that on an almost nightly basis.

"A SpecTACular move, by Michael Jordan!"

JBull
09-27-2012, 10:27 PM
Jordan's stupid "switch hand" layup against the Lakers in the 91 finals. I have NEVER got the hype around that shot. It was unnecessary and he did things 10 times more spectacular than that on an almost nightly basis.

:biggums:

andgar923
09-27-2012, 10:28 PM

He's had more spectacular moves, but it was one of those things that has to be seen within the moment. Is Magic's skyhook that great of a highlight outside its context? MJ's shot vs the Cavs/Ehlo?

Sports are filled with legendary plays in which taken out of context don't seem spectacular compared to other highlights.

Not to defend that moment per se, but just something to think about when replying to this thread in general.

Money 23
09-27-2012, 10:34 PM
:biggums:

Go take some more of your infamous web cam pics of yourself, man ... duck lips and all.

:oldlol:

Cali Syndicate
09-27-2012, 10:39 PM

IIRC, that layup was his 13th consecutive made FG in a row.

B-Low
09-27-2012, 10:41 PM
Oops I offended the Mousekateers :oldlol:

Look I like Jordan, and it was a decent move, but it wasn't the iconic moment everyone claimed it to be. I remember when it happened, that was the first year I watched the playoffs with my dad and he was all blown away by it too. Even back then though, I just never thought it was THAT great

BuGzBuNNy
09-27-2012, 11:03 PM

:oldlol: Same here

He's had more spectacular moves, but it was one of those things that has to be seen within the moment. Is Magic's skyhook that great of a highlight outside its context? MJ's shot vs the Cavs/Ehlo?

Sports are filled with legendary plays in which taken out of context don't seem spectacular compared to other highlights.

Not to defend that moment per se, but just something to think about when replying to this thread in general.
True

SevereUpInHere
09-27-2012, 11:14 PM

Came in to post this exact same thing.

BlueandGold
09-27-2012, 11:18 PM

Yea that one has to be #1 or up there.. the game was already easily at hand at that point by the bulls.. they were up by like 17 in the 4th when he did that.

This is just one example of how the way the NBA is broadcasted and commentated upon dramatically affects how the game is perceived. If you think about it the color commentators have a huge amount of power over the game and the league, which is why the vast majority of the veteran commentators all have hall of fame/all-star votes.

Not to defend that moment per se, but just something to think about when replying to this thread in general

No it's context that provides the environment for everything.. the context surrounding Jordan's hand-change layup was that the Bulls were already up big in the 4th when he did that. Magic's baby hook was the game winner.

TheBigVeto
09-27-2012, 11:30 PM
Regular season: Kobe's 81 points

Playoffs: Magic's game 6 in 1980 finals.

LakersReign
09-27-2012, 11:34 PM
Lebron's Game 6 vs Boston, that ESPN OVERHYPED to the nth degree

TheMarkMadsen
09-27-2012, 11:37 PM
No dis repspect to Lebron but his game winner against Orlando in the playoffs is heavily overrated. It was a good shot yeah, but his team didn't even win that series, so it really meant nothing.

Yet to this day its still commercials & hyped up as a "big moment" when discussing Lebrons career.

kurt_rambis
09-27-2012, 11:42 PM
this thread totally won't turn into a cesspool of irrational hate or anything

andgar923
09-27-2012, 11:43 PM
No it's context that provides the environment for everything.. the context surrounding Jordan's hand-change layup was that the Bulls were already up big in the 4th when he did that. Magic's baby hook was the game winner.

Context:

MJ was on a streak of hitting shot after shot after shot, he simply couldn't miss. So when he did that move it added even more excitement to the moment. It gave the moment some flair. It wasn't like he was hot and just made a regular baseline shot or a simply layup, the mufuhka went up with the ball in one hand brought it down, switched hands and laid it in on the opposite side.

We've grown tired of that video (I'm one of them), but when it happened the entire world went bananas.

pauk
09-27-2012, 11:45 PM
No dis repspect to Lebron but his game winner against Orlando in the playoffs is heavily overrated. It was a good shot yeah, but his team didn't even win that series, so it really meant nothing.

Yet to this day its still commercials & hyped up as a "big moment" when discussing Lebrons career.

He averaged close to a 40 point triple double that series, made lots of clutch plays, scored any time he wished, rebounded, used every inch of his teammates aswell while having to run like a headless chicken defensively trying to help guard all the mismatches..... meanwhile Dwight abused the likes of Varejao and guys like Rashard Lewis and Turkoglu hit some very blessed gamewinning shots to steal games which could have gone to Cleveland..... Are you really gona say what he did was overrated because his team simply didnt win that series? What more could he or anybody in NBA history done?

L.Kizzle
09-27-2012, 11:48 PM
Willis Reed's game 7 performance.

Him just playing and coming onto the court is not overrated by any means, but his performance was. You see his 2 jump shots more than any of Walt Frazier's 36 points or 19 assist ... :biggums: He kilt an All-Time great Jerry West at his peak (or close to it.)

RRR3
09-27-2012, 11:50 PM
this thread totally won't turn into a cesspool of irrational hate or anything
Totally.

jlip
09-27-2012, 11:51 PM

Him just playing and coming onto the court is not overrated by any means, but his performance was. You see his 2 jump shots more than any of Walt Frazier's 36 points or 19 assist ... :biggums: He kilt an All-Time great Jerry West at his peak (or close to it.)

^This^

Legends66NBA7
09-27-2012, 11:52 PM
The John Starks dunk vs the Bulls

TheMarkMadsen
09-27-2012, 11:54 PM
He averaged close to a 40 point triple double that series, made lots of clutch plays, scored any time he wished, rebounded, used every inch of his teammates aswell while having to run like a headless chicken defensively trying to help guard all the mismatches..... meanwhile Dwight abused the likes of Varejao and guys like Rashard Lewis and Turkoglu hit some very blessed gamewinning shots to steal games which could have gone to Cleveland..... Are you really gona say what he did was overrated because his team simply didnt win that series? What more could he or anybody in NBA history done?

I said the SHOT was overrated, not the series he played?

The shot gets played to be some big moment in NBA/lebrons history when it's not, it won them one game in a series which they eventually lost.

andgar923
09-27-2012, 11:55 PM
The John Starks dunk vs the Bulls

Naw

M.Bustly15A5RU8
09-28-2012, 12:00 AM
MJ's offensive foul aka game winner against the Jazz in 98

Freedom Kid7
09-28-2012, 12:46 AM
Kareem's shot over the Celtics in Game 6 of the 1974 NBA Finals.
Bron's shot over Orlando in 09 to beat the buzzer. They didn't deserve to win that game imo.
I feel the 2002 WCF is the most overrated series of all time, but another story another day.

jongib369
09-28-2012, 12:53 AM

I'm SO glad you mentioned that...they always talk about it like an injured willis tore up Wilt...If anything that game showed how much Wilt being a nice player hurt his game...Theres this quote of wilt saying he didnt have the "killer instinct"...he was talking about how he never just destroyed people like shaq even though he could of...Ive heard stories of him going to dunk the ball but letting up when someones hand was near the basket...saw it in a highlight the otherday.

jongib369
09-28-2012, 12:53 AM
Kareem's shot over the Celtics in Game 6 of the 1974 NBA Finals.
Bron's shot over Orlando in 09 to beat the buzzer. They didn't deserve to win that game imo.
I feel the 2002 WCF is the most overrated series of all time, but another story another day.
I've never seen it!!! can you send a link? youtube isnt working for me ATM ill watch it when it does

jongib369
09-28-2012, 12:55 AM

Yeah I can see how it would be crazier in the moment...Ive always liked it but like you said Jordan has done better moves.

It almost reminds me of stairway to heaven...Not Led Zeppelins best song, but there most famous one...and after they played it a MILLION times in the 70s, a LOT of people got sick of hearing it :P

DaHeezy
09-28-2012, 12:58 AM

I got to agree. He nearly flopped a dunk and just tossed it up. It's tricky, but it wasn't a defining moment

ihatetimthomas
09-28-2012, 01:02 AM

Overrated in terms of his other moves yes. But it was not unnecessary. He did it because he thought Perkins was going to come up and block his shot.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w7vsjOHq5E0

Freedom Kid7
09-28-2012, 01:04 AM
I've never seen it!!! can you send a link? youtube isnt working for me ATM ill watch it when it does
jump to 6:37 (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rOjkFKIwLYQ) (Kareem)
LeBron's GameWinner (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oZ-Y6tjiAm0)

Psileas
09-28-2012, 09:52 AM

Context is the only thing that makes these highlights great and people recognise it. Magic hit tons of hook shots and Jordan tons of jump shots, so it's not as if those highlights are mentioned just because of their nature. Jordan's move is consistently mentioned among his most spectacular moves, regardless of context. The further most people go is to state that he did it in an NBA Finals game.

Context:

MJ was on a streak of hitting shot after shot after shot, he simply couldn't miss. So when he did that move it added even more excitement to the moment. It gave the moment some flair. It wasn't like he was hot and just made a regular baseline shot or a simply layup, the mufuhka went up with the ball in one hand brought it down, switched hands and laid it in on the opposite side.

We've grown tired of that video (I'm one of them), but when it happened the entire world went bananas.

Then how come almost no video makes a point out of Jordan hitting shot after shot and lots of young fans ignore this completely? To make a contrast, compare it to Jordan in Game 1 of the 1992 Finals: Showing him just making his last 3-pointer and shrugging would make no sense, so most highlight films that mention this moment show him making one 3-pointer after another, so, the point is made. This isn't the case here.

guy
09-28-2012, 12:45 PM
I said the SHOT was overrated, not the series he played?

The shot gets played to be some big moment in NBA/lebrons history when it's not, it won them one game in a series which they eventually lost.

Its pretty clearly the greatest game winner Lebron has made. So for his history its definitely a big moment. I don't see it replayed alot unless its in a video for Lebron.

guy
09-28-2012, 12:52 PM
The Jordan layup is somewhat overrated to me. Every time there's some countdown for his greatest moments, its usually like in the top 3 along with the 89 game winner and 98 game winner. Yes, he was having an all-time great shooting game, but whenever the layup is brought up, that is generally ignored. I'd take 63 points vs. the Celtics, the 89 game winner, 92 game 1 vs. the Blazers, 93 54 point game 4 vs. Knicks, 93 55 point game 4 vs. Suns, 95 55 points vs. the Knicks, flu game vs. the Jazz, 98 game winner vs. the Jazz over that. If it was the game in general plus the layup, then maybe not.

Really, it being overrated to me doesn't mean its not a great moment. Just goes to show how many great moments he's had. Arguably no one is even close (although alot of that has to do with more coverage).