PDA

View Full Version : Greg Oden keeps improving, as expected

GOBB
01-27-2007, 02:02 PM
13 games he is avg 15.4 10rbs 3.6blks as a freshman. Keep an eye on him in March.

SoCalMike
01-27-2007, 02:04 PM
The kid is impressive and I look forward to seeing him play in the NBA and if he can compete at that level...

:pimp:

DatZNasty
01-27-2007, 02:08 PM
and playing without total use of his dominant hand

Da KO King
01-27-2007, 02:12 PM
The issue some have with Oden isn't his production for OSU. It's the fact that he's never shown any of the skill many are claiming he has.

DeuceWallaces
01-27-2007, 02:20 PM
Isn't he still playing one handed?

BlackMoses
01-27-2007, 02:26 PM
Oden's been great, this wasn't unexpected though. The college game is not big man friendly stat-wise in recent years. NCAA is definitely a guards/wings game.

GOBB
01-27-2007, 02:27 PM
The issue some have with Oden isn't his production for OSU. It's the fact that he's never shown any of the skill many are claiming he has.

Maybe i gotta read what they are reading. Because i knew Oden wasnt Tim Duncan or Hakeem in the low post. I just knew he had a soft touch around the rim. I never really read articles or peoples outlook on the kid during his media hype honestly. Just watch him in those HS games on TV, vids in HS and college games. Just go off that.

What skills were being said he has that he hasnt shown? Cuz i know nbadraft.net has him down as Drob. And i laughed at that when they first put him on their site. He's not as agile as Drob nor does he have the range and ability to put it on the floor. Drob could put it on the floor just enough to get his shot off. Eh

Comedy Central
01-27-2007, 02:28 PM
he is living up to the expectations so far but still has a long way to go before being dominant.

If he can stay for another year and become pretty dominant at the end, he'd be the nastiest thing out of college since Tim Duncan.

raiderfan19
01-27-2007, 02:32 PM
hater? no. Do i think durant is and will continue to be better? yes. Not a knock on oden though.

RidonKs
01-27-2007, 02:33 PM
I don't know much about the guy, so can someone fill me in on his current situation? Is it fairly likely that he'll come out this year, or are most thinking he's going to stay another year in college?

DeuceWallaces
01-27-2007, 02:35 PM
I don't think anyone could tell you with any confidence either way right now. He's been a defensive monster but has a broken? shooting? hand since before the start of the season.

thenextgreatbigman
01-27-2007, 02:36 PM
i just hope he stays in college for another year or 2

GOBB
01-27-2007, 02:44 PM
I don't know much about the guy, so can someone fill me in on his current situation? Is it fairly likely that he'll come out this year, or are most thinking he's going to stay another year in college?

Who knows...even if he was avg 20 and 20 he could stay another year. Reports and from his mouth? He's staying. But when the draft nears and endorsements are thrown at him with hefty $$$ signs he could bite. :confusedshrug:

His shooting hand has been in a cast for a long time. Its a soft one now i believe. Gives him more movement then before where he was simply limited and had to shoot left handed especially during FT's. So maybe he stays another year or two even. This bastard could stay 3-4yrs.

Only guy i know who would bolt is Durant. And he said he is glad he is in college because he would have blew all his money if he were a rookie in the NBA. Basically saying he would have been finacially irresponsible.

NASH = BEST
01-27-2007, 02:55 PM
Maybe the mods should change the title of your thread. :mad:

Reminder: Constantly talking about 'haters' and 'groupies' is just as bad as

actually BEING an irrational, ridiculously biased "hater" or "groupie"

Don't talk about them

Don't be one

Just be a regular, honest, intelligent fan with a main goal of having good

basketball conversations

garytalarino
01-27-2007, 03:13 PM
I wouldn't call myself an Oden hater, but definitely a doubter. If I had the #1 pick (and didn't have to draft based on needs aka best available), I'd take Durant. Oden could be the next Duncan, but is more likely the next Camby. An excellent defender, and not much on the offensive end outside of offensive rebound putbacks (it took Camby a while to get that consistent 18 footer in his game).

Durant is a game changer both ends. If Oden is a 15-12-4 NBA player, I'd rather have Durant at 25-10-2. I watch Durant play, and I think of a Marion-McGrady hybrid. Duncan was just so feared at Wake, you could always see it coming. And the way draft picks are under the microscope these days, Oden just doesn't seem like he's going to develop the offensive game quick enough, unless he does the smart thing and stays in school until he's at least a sophomore, if not a junior. Then he'd be worth the #1 pick.

Jailblazers7
01-27-2007, 03:14 PM
I think the hand injury will help in the long run because it is forcing him to develop his left hand now which will benefit him later.

DeuceWallaces
01-27-2007, 03:20 PM
That's impressive if he's been shooting off hand all season.

GOBB
01-27-2007, 03:24 PM
He plays MSU tonight at 9 on espn2.

Durant is a game changer on the defensive end? When was this?

poorlilrich
01-27-2007, 03:31 PM
He plays MSU tonight at 9 on espn2.

I though u were a durant supporter; what happened?

You even said he was better than Oden.

dak121
01-27-2007, 03:33 PM

Durant plays defense?

And this Kevin Garnett comparison stuff needs to stop. He's more like Rashard Lewis than Garnett.

DeuceWallaces
01-27-2007, 03:33 PM
I'll have to watch that, always enjoy state getting waxed.

GOBB
01-27-2007, 03:34 PM

Huh? You need to spend more time studying, reading. I said right now Durant is a better COLLEGE PLAYER than Greg Oden. But Greg Oden is not only a lock for the #1 pick but a player I would take over Durant 10 out of 10 times in a draft based on future potential. Follow or is this too difficult to grasp?

Both players are locks for the 2 picks in the draft if they declare. Reading is fundamental.

DeuceWallaces
01-27-2007, 03:35 PM

It is possible to like a player without being a D0uche homer.

poorlilrich
01-27-2007, 03:41 PM
It is possible to like a player without being a D0uche homer.

Did i say durant was better than Oden in my post?

AKADS
01-27-2007, 04:35 PM
Durant is goin to be another KG type. He is goin to get great stats and play a different game for his position and might have the most talent but Odens game will allow other player to complement his game.

Thats what makes great players great they are able to complement there teammates game and hove there teammates complement theres.

Suns4Life
01-27-2007, 05:13 PM
Durant plays defense?

Texas always plays a zone and Durant just camps the lane. He still gets his fair share of defensive rebounds and is just as active on the floor as any other college big man playing the zone. Since teams they play against always swing it around the perimeter and all you see are the guards flying all over and Durant just standing there, you may want to say he isn't playing defense, but thats just their system.

gts
01-27-2007, 05:25 PM
Maybe the mods should change the title of your thread. :mad:

weren't you like banned or lost a bet or something?

as for oden, i hope he gets good advice before making his plans, he looks pretty impressive to me but i'm not at all sure he is ready for the nba. a second year would sure help him develop his game, but the money starts talking and players that don't have a mentor can make some rash decisions...

lakers-city
01-27-2007, 05:27 PM
im not a hater, im deffinitelly a doubter though, when i saw the comparisons with duncan's and robinson's game i couldnt help but walk away laughing, the guy looks more like camby.

JohnnySic
01-27-2007, 05:30 PM
There is NO WAY any team takes Durant over Oden. A center with Oden's total package comes around once every 15 years or so.

PS - Oden will be a Celtic. Book it. :pimp:

Cool
01-27-2007, 05:32 PM
I think he is a great player. He is one hell of a defensive player. And his offense has been pickin up. I really like what the kid does. And I cant wait to see him in the NBA.

Gotterdammerung
01-27-2007, 06:20 PM
And this Kevin Garnett comparison stuff needs to stop. He's more like Rashard Lewis than Garnett.

Could you explain this assertion? Is it a lack of athleticism that makes Durant more similar to Lewis than KG?

i seen hippos
01-27-2007, 06:20 PM
The real question is whether Oden can stay with Marquis Gray tonight in the post. Probably the hardest test he'll face in his life.

dgbigballer9329
01-27-2007, 06:29 PM
Durant is not only the better college player, but will be a better pro. He's playing arguably the best ball of any freshman in the last 20 years, and frighteningly, he's got a lot of room to improve, and he even admits it. As of now he can operate in the low post even with his skinny frame, and take SF's off the dribble, not to mention shoot from deep. He can be surely be better than Garnett if he fulfills his potential, and just because he's young doesn't make it unreasonable to say that..........

His overall talent level is above Oden's. It's just a matter of "will Oden be a defensive game-changer" that can get Oden picked first. Even as a prep he wasn't dominant offensively.

Suns4Life
01-27-2007, 06:40 PM
Durant is not only the better college player, but will be a better pro. He's playing arguably the best ball of any freshman in the last 20 years, and frighteningly, he's got a lot of room to improve, and he even admits it. As of now he can operate in the low post even with his skinny frame, and take SF's off the dribble, not to mention shoot from deep. He can be surely be better than Garnett if he fulfills his potential, and just because he's young doesn't make it unreasonable to say that..........

His overall talent level is above Oden's. It's just a matter of "will Oden be a defensive game-changer" that can get Oden picked first. Even as a prep he wasn't dominant offensively.

Thats my boy, D Gizzle. I've been watching Texas games religiously this year because of Durant. I never got into Texas basketball, even when TJ Ford took us to the final 4, it was always 2nd fiddle to Texas football and I even liked watching Huston Street pitch for the baseball team more than watching basketball. When I first watched Durant this year, I was completely in awe of how polished this guy was. He has ice running in his veins, he is too cold. I literally lost my voice yelling over and over during the triple overtime game against Oklahoma St. Only game that got me that good last couple years was last year's Rose Bowl. Dude is going in to the NBA ready to play, book it. I'm going to scrounge as many tickets to home Texas games as I can, to tell people I saw Durant play at Texas.

Force
01-27-2007, 07:00 PM
Anybody who doubts Oden is just ignorant to the truth. You will all see. By the time this guy is in his 3rd year in the NBA, he will be a bona fide superstar in the league. His game is well suited for the NBA. Sure he'll have his ups and downs in the first couple of years but seriously, this guy is going to have his presence felt fairly quickly.

Durant looks like a complete stud as well. But Oden will be drafted above him. GM's find it easier to build around star big men than they do star wingmen. He's just a much more rare player.

DCL
01-27-2007, 07:17 PM
he's good, but still, his hype exceeds his skill.

GOBB
01-27-2007, 07:34 PM
Chris Jackson had a better freshman year than Durant.

(mahmoud abdul rauf)

Jailblazers7
01-27-2007, 08:12 PM
PS - Oden will be a Celtic. Book it. :pimp:

Nope Oden will be a Sixer.

MTing
01-27-2007, 08:17 PM
Hes too good to be hated on

dak121
01-27-2007, 08:47 PM
Hes too good to be hated on

No one is good enough to not be criticized. When he gets to the NBA level his weaknesses will be exposed, and he'll have to improve on them. Specifically his lack of strength and defense.(like most young players)

abuC
01-27-2007, 08:52 PM
Im just happy to see a big man play almost exclusively with their back to the basket.

Spike Spiegel
01-27-2007, 09:02 PM
Not a hater/doubter...simply resentful because he's the reason they've been getting more media coverage than UW, even though OSU is the inferior team.

At least I'm honest, ya?

Spike Spiegel
01-27-2007, 09:05 PM
No one is good enough to not be criticized. When he gets to the NBA level his weaknesses will be exposed, and he'll have to improve on them. Specifically his lack of strength and defense.(like most young players)

Huh? Isn't everyone pimping this out to be his best quality?

fatlever
01-27-2007, 10:16 PM

:oldlol: This dude can't be serious, can he? :confusedshrug:

fatlever
01-27-2007, 10:21 PM

...nah, for real...I had to quote this again to really make sure this guy is not joking. Cause if I read that really quick without looking at the names, I would have sworn that's the bio for Oden instead of Durant.

Needlessly to say that if this guy was a GM and passed on Oden based on this dribble, he be fired before he walked off the draft podium. :oldlol:

raiderfan19
01-27-2007, 10:28 PM
actually hes right. Durant is without question a better player right now though no he isnt a defensive game changer. Oden will and should go first for the simple reason that if they are both great and become franchise players, a franchise center is more valuable and rare than a franchise forward(at either position).

eurobum
01-27-2007, 10:30 PM
:oldlol: This dude can't be serious, can he? :confusedshrug:

This dude is serious and owns you in every aspect of life, especially sports analysis. If he says Durant da God > Oden then Durant > Oden. Believe.

Gots your back, boy!

fatlever
01-27-2007, 10:38 PM
actually hes right. Durant is without question a better player right now though no he isnt a defensive game changer. Oden will and should go first for the simple reason that if they are both great and become franchise players, a franchise center is more valuable and rare than a franchise forward(at either position).
And your basing this off what? Durant is a fully healthy 6-11 wingman that shoots threes in a wide open offense. Oden is an injured 7-1 center on a half court team that still shoots alot of threes. Yeah, Durant averages more points, so what you're point? He also averages more shots and more turnovers...why not point that out? :confusedshrug: And this argument is just based on both players offensive skill set (need we compare defensively?).

I also vote to include a disclaimer in all threads made about Oden to have to include a disclaimer signature that states he's playing with an injured shooting hand so I don't have to keep pointing it out. Sound good? :confusedshrug:

eliteballer
01-27-2007, 10:44 PM
Has Oden decided if he's even coming out this year?

Force
01-27-2007, 10:52 PM
No. Why would he? College players rarely announce they are coming out in January right? How often does that really happen for underclassmen? It would seem somewhat disrespectful to the college they play for and disrespectful to the teammates. I think it's something they wait to announce until the season is over.

fatlever
01-27-2007, 11:01 PM
...I wanted to also add if Durant is without question the better college player then why the hell is he only shooting 48% from the field? Wow, that's a great shooting percentage for someone that's unquestionably better than a guy that gets you 3.5 blocks a game as well as shooting a rediculous 66% himself. Some of you dudes are just comical. :oldlol:

Younggrease
01-27-2007, 11:20 PM
...I wanted to also add if Durant is without question the better college player then why the hell is he only shooting 48% from the field? Wow, that's a great shooting percentage for someone that's unquestionably better than a guy that gets you 3.5 blocks a game as well as shooting a rediculous 66% himself. Some of you dudes are just comical. :oldlol:

48% and scoring like 30 on any given night while grabbing 12-14 boards is pretty amazing. Consider he shoots from the perimeter as well.

Im watching Oden now and he looks worst than Bynum right now. He cant even get position on undersized college players

Younggrease
01-27-2007, 11:46 PM
oden getting soft calls in college????

RobertSwift31
01-28-2007, 12:06 AM
lets see how clutch he is

GOBB
01-28-2007, 10:37 AM
Im watching Oden now and he looks worst than Bynum right now. He cant even get position on undersized college players

Ok now criticize Durants game because there is room for it

JtotheIzzo
01-28-2007, 11:20 AM
Im watching Oden now and he looks worst than Bynum right now.

that's because your observations of the game of basketball are consistently wrong. I can't believe you're still on this diss Oden kick, what are you missing in your life to hate on guys all the time?

Younggrease
01-28-2007, 11:21 AM
that's because your observations of the game of basketball are consistently wrong. I can't believe you're still on this diss Oden kick, what are you missing in your life to hate on guys all the time?

did you watch the game yesterday???

JtotheIzzo
01-28-2007, 11:23 AM

c'mon who are you kidding, he's already a good defender, and the only good true center in the NBA right now (Yao) isn't particularly strong.

I can't believe people doubt this guy, falkin pathetic

JtotheIzzo
01-28-2007, 11:25 AM
did you watch the game yesterday???

I believe you left a question mark out.

I also love how you characterize a player by one game,

especially coming off a broken hand while missing the first month of practice as a freshman. Think rationally and tell me he wont be an all star sooner rather than later, think....c'mon....oh yeah, you dont do that.

GOBB
01-28-2007, 11:37 AM
c'mon who are you kidding, he's already a good defender, and the only good true center in the NBA right now (Yao) isn't particularly strong.

I can't believe people doubt this guy, falkin pathetic

Why cant you believe people doubt him? Blame the sports media for creating a monster and that monster not scaring some people. Oden was built up into this legit big man in a million years. Gotta go back to Zeus. So people expect the best, they expect greatness, they expect hints of greatness. When its not given regardless of situation then doubt emerges. Some doubt from the start, other doubt along the way.

Greg Oden isnt catching the ball in the post and lookin like Hakeem.
Greg Oden isnt catching the ball in the post and overpowering like Shaq
Greg Oden isnt catching the ball in the post and giving footwork like Duncan
Greg Oden isnt dominating on offense like Wilt or Kareem

Does he have a bread and butter move? No
Can he face up the basket and score either by jump or putting the ball on the floor? No
Does he have a consistent hook that is unstoppable, hard to defend? No
Can he score over double teams easily or just in general? No
Is his offensive game developed for a big man to dominate yet? No

But here is the kicker...can Oden develop his game offensively to dominate as a big man? Yes. Why? Because he has a ton of time too thats why.

So you can see why people doubt. Heck some arent thrilled because he isnt showing pure athletic ability ass a big man. They want him hoping around, showing fluid motions and agility. And since he doesnt people throw out Ewing comparisons because both of thier movements mirror one another.

Now i didnt type all this to side on the doubters. Just saying when you understand all this you can see why people would doubt them. It goes back to how the sports media put him up in the air and all these past legend comparisons that people operate in the microwave moment. They want to see it now, not later.

Too bad we dont have film/game video on Shaq as a freshman. Duncan as a freshman. So we can examine how much of legends they appeared to be.

Younggrease
01-28-2007, 11:37 AM
I believe you left a question mark out.

I also love how you characterize a player by one game,

especially coming off a broken hand while missing the first month of practice as a freshman. Think rationally and tell me he wont be an all star sooner rather than later, think....c'mon....oh yeah, you dont do that.

i have said he will be an all star sooner than later many times. But question some things about his game and dont think he will be the next great big man. His hand has nothing to do with not getting position on 6"8 unathletic dudes. Until he shows me more than one OK move in the post I will assume he doesnt have anymore.

If Oden is 110% even next year there is no way he is doing the stuff Shaq did in college. Shaq could block shots in college too, he had 17 in a game(the all time record). Oden is not the next great big, its not a title you just throw on someone without them proving anything.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZiZBGzSviRo

JtotheIzzo
01-28-2007, 11:46 AM
Why cant you believe people doubt him? Blame the sports media for creating a monster and that monster not scaring some people. Oden was built up into this legit big man in a million years. Gotta go back to Zeus. So people expect the best, they expect greatness, they expect hints of greatness. When its not given regardless of situation then doubt emerges. Some doubt from the start, other doubt along the way.

Greg Oden isnt catching the ball in the post and lookin like Hakeem.
Greg Oden isnt catching the ball in the post and overpowering like Shaq
Greg Oden isnt catching the ball in the post and giving footwork like Duncan
Greg Oden isnt dominating on offense like Wilt or Kareem

Does he have a bread and butter move? No
Can he face up the basket and score either by jump or putting the ball on the floor? No
Does he have a consistent hook that is unstoppable, hard to defend? No
Can he score over double teams easily or just in general? No
Is his offensive game developed for a big man to dominate yet? No

But here is the kicker...can Oden develop his game offensively to dominate as a big man? Yes. Why? Because he has a ton of time too thats why.

So you can see why people doubt. Heck some arent thrilled because he isnt showing pure athletic ability ass a big man. They want him hoping around, showing fluid motions and agility. And since he doesnt people throw out Ewing comparisons because both of thier movements mirror one another.

Now i didnt type all this to side on the doubters. Just saying when you understand all this you can see why people would doubt them. It goes back to how the sports media put him up in the air and all these past legend comparisons that people operate in the microwave moment. They want to see it now, not later.

Too bad we dont have film/game video on Shaq as a freshman. Duncan as a freshman. So we can examine how much of legends they appeared to be.

sports media is full of reactionaries,they usually say things we already assume a little more loudly.

Oden feels like a once in a generation big man, because true big men are now basically coming around once every eight to ten years.

That alone makes him special, and it's not like he needs to be Hakeem to play in the NBA these days, a drop step, up and under, and jump hook will get him 20-10 as a rook and I am sure he can do that all day now. his size will give him another 2.5 blocks, and its hardly fair to judgehands and passing when one is broken.

Playing with a broke hand (your shooting one) is hard, but the fact he shoots well with his off hand shows a uniqueness and a skill that is so valuable in post play (shoot with both hands, which means he drop or seal and score on either side, meaning he'll score a lot or see double teams straight away).

Individual talent also gets promoted more in the pros, he'll get better entry passes, at better times, teams wont be able to collapse zones around him, guys will have to guard him one on one, and in the NBA today there's falk all for good centers.

Oden will be great

GOBB
01-28-2007, 11:52 AM
Shaq wasnt a freshman in that damn video. Very misleading.

Younggrease
01-28-2007, 11:54 AM
Shaq wasnt a freshman in that damn video. Very misleading.

but do you honestly think Oden can get there???? Some of the stuff like the pass he through over the head, i just dont think Oden could ever do. I think Oden is overrated rated as an athlete.

abuC
01-28-2007, 11:57 AM
I think his developement will really begin when he's cleared to get in the weight room and bulk up some. I see he's listed at 280lbs, but I really doubt it, he looks like he can put on some weight without taking much of a hit to his athletic ability.

JtotheIzzo
01-28-2007, 12:02 PM
but do you honestly think Oden can get there???? Some of the stuff like the pass he through over the head, i just dont think Oden could ever do. I think Oden is overrated rated as an athlete.

who's gonna stop him?

Did you think Yao would get this good?

He was a pathetic weakling and soft as mush at Oden's age, and now look at him.

Oden has a lot more to work with, with the exception of Yao's touch from 15'. He's young, his strength, athleticism and maturity will go through the roof eventually once he comes together as a player, and compared to everyone else at the position, it wont even be close. You mentioned Bynum earlier, look how far he's come as a pro. This is nowhere near the end of Oden's development, simply the beginning.

GOBB
01-28-2007, 12:03 PM

Shaq was a rare talent.

As far as what Oden can do? We'll have to see him progress as a big.

Juvenile
01-28-2007, 02:10 PM
I havent seen anyone throwing around the Shaq comparison. Shaq very well might be the best center ever to play in the NBA.

Most I have seen anyone make him out to be is Bill Russell. I at last dont expect Shaq-like production on offense. But the 2 games I have seen from him so far make me think of a really really good defensive center and in that department, the Ewing comparison is no shame. Bill Russell is another question, but I fail to see, how Oden does not compare to Ewing/Robinson/Mutombo/Mourning and can very well equal all they did in the NBA.

GOBB
01-28-2007, 02:57 PM
I havent seen anyone throwing around the Shaq comparison. Shaq very well might be the best center ever to play in the NBA.

Most I have seen anyone make him out to be is Bill Russell. I at last dont expect Shaq-like production on offense. But the 2 games I have seen from him so far make me think of a really really good defensive center and in that department, the Ewing comparison is no shame. Bill Russell is another question, but I fail to see, how Oden does not compare to Ewing/Robinson/Mutombo/Mourning and can very well equal all they did in the NBA.

Can Oden equal Drob on offense? Remains to be seen. As of today, i dont see Oden and think Drob.

Da KO King
01-28-2007, 02:59 PM
...That alone makes him special, and it's not like he needs to be Hakeem to play in the NBA these days, a drop step, up and under, and jump hook will get him 20-10 as a rook and I am sure he can do that all day now. his size will give him another 2.5 blocks, and its hardly fair to judgehands and passing when one is broken...

The beef many, including myself, have with the Oden lovefest is that he's never shown the slightest hint at being able to do the bolded items.

I don't doubt he'll be a good player in the NBA. What I do doubt is that he's be the rare game changing player many are expecting him to be.

Y2Gezee
01-28-2007, 04:21 PM
Oden is going to be a monster people face it. He's dominating with a bad right wrist, shooting with his left. Becoming so comfortable with his left hand is only going to help him become an even more dominant player. He does need to add some moves for the NBA, but he's going to be a good one.

Da KO King
01-29-2007, 12:01 AM
People need to get over this bad right wrist thing. The kat's wrist has been graded by the medical staff as "100% healthy" for about two or three weeks now.

johndeeregreen
01-29-2007, 12:14 AM
What was that mix supposed to do, aside from show me that Shaq can dunk and goaltend?

deion2123
01-29-2007, 12:28 AM
People need to get over this bad right wrist thing. The kat's wrist has been graded by the medical staff as "100% healthy" for about two or three weeks now.
yet he still shoots left handed ?? :lol:

nashforprez
01-29-2007, 02:15 AM
when are the announcers going to stop saying, "just wait until his wrist gets better

Twiens
01-29-2007, 02:33 AM
Does Oden really remind anyone else of Emeka Okafor?

hateraid
01-29-2007, 03:05 AM
Since we're comparing Oden to tapes of stars in their freshmen year, somebody should brign up Mutumbo's. I thought they played very similarily offensively.

Force
01-29-2007, 03:54 AM
I wouldn't say Mutombo is a good comparison. To this day, he has never been able to get the ball and go up quickly. He's always been extremely slow in gathering the ball and that's one of the reasons why he was never a big scorer in the league. Oden will be a better scorer than Dikembe in the NBA for sure. You can make a better case comparing them defensively, but not on the offensive end imo.

I'm interested in seeing his development once he gets into the league. I wanna see if he'll have the ability to hit the occasional 12-15 foot jump shot. I know it's not his game, but he's quick enough on his feet to take other centers off the dribble if they come up to defend him outside.

Y2Gezee
01-29-2007, 04:14 AM

Just because there may be no remaining structural damage doesn't mean he feels 100% comfortable with it yet. He still wears a cast on it, so....

And regardless, he's still dominating. 16pts 10 boards. 4 blocks. 64% fg. And you gotta still believe that he'd be a better scorer if he had full use of his right hand and shot fts with his right hand.

Younggrease
01-29-2007, 11:04 PM
Just because there may be no remaining structural damage doesn't mean he feels 100% comfortable with it yet. He still wears a cast on it, so....

And regardless, he's still dominating. 16pts 10 boards. 4 blocks. 64% fg. And you gotta still believe that he'd be a better scorer if he had full use of his right hand and shot fts with his right hand.

how is that dominating. That is not even close to dominating.

Kevin Durant's statline is closer to dominating but he isnt either.

Manila
03-30-2014, 02:01 PM
this is a fun read :lol

Andrei89
03-30-2014, 02:03 PM

How is it a fun read?

The guy was an absolute beast but turned out to be injury prone.

Nobody knows what Oden could have been injury free.

Fail bump

zoom17
03-30-2014, 02:36 PM
How is it a fun read?

The guy was an absolute beast but turned out to be injury prone.

Nobody knows what Oden could have been injury free.

Fail bump

:lol

Crimsonrain777
03-30-2014, 03:09 PM

<jan2014 :facepalm

Manila
03-30-2014, 10:08 PM
<jan2014 :facepalm

july 2012 :bowdown:

Manila
03-30-2014, 10:10 PM
it was fun reading this, because they are comparing durant and oden going into the draft. I have a feeling that the same thing will happen to embiid and will bump this in 2016

Milbuck
03-30-2014, 10:26 PM
hater? no. Do i think durant is and will continue to be better? yes. Not a knock on oden though.
:applause:

Hamtaro CP3KDKG
03-30-2014, 10:28 PM
:applause: :applause: :applause: :applause:

Upgrayedd
03-30-2014, 10:34 PM
july 2012 :bowdown:

Actually it says Jun 2012.

Manila
03-30-2014, 10:56 PM
Actually it says Jun 2012.

since rose decided not to play?

irondarts
03-30-2014, 11:01 PM
I hate when threads on this topic are bumped. Back when these threads were made about Oden and Durant, nearly everyone thought Oden was the better prospect. Nobody could've predicted the horror show of injuries Oden suffered.