PDA

View Full Version : Kobe in media day: "it's my team"

tommyhtc
10-02-2012, 12:28 AM
This is not a thread trying to bash kobe.

I noticed that in two interviews during the media day it seems like he is trying to make sure that everybody in the world knows that it is his team.

On one hand, I really like how he is being honest with fans, but on the other hand,
I never really recall a franchise player repeatedly trying to call himself the first option, or saying whether this is "my team", or someone else's. I hope this is a not a hint of him still trying to take 30 shots a game.

Do you guys think there will be chemistry problems? how will dwight howard and steve nash react to Kobe's dominance? I'm sure this has been beaten to death, but this is really the first time where Kobe openly talks about his role in the laker team.

These are the links:

http://www.nba.com/video/channels/nba_tv/2012/10/01/kobe-bryant-media-day-interview.nba/

http://espn.go.com/los-angeles/nba/story/_/id/8450210/kobe-bryant-makes-clear-los-angeles-lakers-team

RRR3
10-02-2012, 12:29 AM
Kobe will be the Leader, but Dwight will be the best player.

tommyhtc
10-02-2012, 12:31 AM
yeah, but I don't think Kobe agrees with you

RRR3
10-02-2012, 12:33 AM
yeah, but I don't think Kobe agrees with you
I don't think Kobe cares what I think.:lol

tommyhtc
10-02-2012, 12:36 AM
I don't think Kobe cares what I think.:lol
alright:oldlol:

but what I'm saying is Kobe still believes he is the best player and the leader, and that's delusion at its best

lilblasta
10-02-2012, 12:36 AM
They asked him a question and he answered. :confusedshrug:

Really seems like you are looking for drama that isn't there. Dwight and Nash both know it is Kobe's team. If anything Nash will take on a co-captain role similar to what Fisher was as a locker room leader, with Kobe being the alpha dog of the team.

EDIT: Would just like to add that Dwight has already gone on record saying he thinks being with the Lakers will be a great learning opportunity for him to learn from some all time greats like Kobe and Nash on how to lead a team and be a great leader. He's not looking to run the show until after Kobe retires. So no, Dwight will not likely be looking for the leader role this season or next.

kennethgriffin
10-02-2012, 12:37 AM
is it really that hard to believe?

dwights more valuable position wise. but better? no

more efficient? yes

more tallented? more determined? a better leader? more clutch? no, no, no and no

he couldnt handle being a leader just like pau... they go to kobe and win

kobe averages the near 30ppg lines... wins the finals mvps... and is the more popular more worshipped more loved more hated player for it... its natural to be jealous and predict kobes downfall every year before it happens. its just part of being a sap

and most people are saps. not many can handle the truth.

kobe is jack nickolson..

yall are a bunch of tom cruise's

YOU WANT ANSWERS?

http://i200.photobucket.com/albums/aa280/cashforcards/vfewbv.jpg

YOU WANT THE TRUTH?!

http://i200.photobucket.com/albums/aa280/cashforcards/KobeBryant5rings.jpg

YOU CANT HANDLE THE TRUTH!!!!!!!!

http://i200.photobucket.com/albums/aa280/cashforcards/28911710.jpg
http://i200.photobucket.com/albums/aa280/cashforcards/07-bryant.jpg
http://i200.photobucket.com/albums/aa280/cashforcards/fff.jpg

SourPatchKids
10-02-2012, 12:38 AM
Heh. TypicalBe. Of course it's still his team though.

oh the horror
10-02-2012, 12:39 AM

Exactly.

Why is it, when threads like this are created, people always leave out the entire story?

Kobe was flat out asked the question.

He answered.

Dude is going into what? His 17th season on this Laker team? This is Kobe's team. All of Los Angeles knows that.

tommyhtc
10-02-2012, 12:40 AM

Really seems like you are looking for drama that isn't there. Dwight and Nash both know it is Kobe's team. If anything Nash will take on a co-captain role similar to what Fisher was as a locker room leader, with Kobe being the alpha dog of the team.
I think everyone knows that it is Kobe's team in terms of his status among fans or ranking in the laker franchise,
but with two superstars who had been franchise players for the past 6 years coming in, do you think it's a wise choice to say "this is my team" in front of the world?

Umad101
10-02-2012, 12:41 AM
The way I look at it is Kobe is the best offensive player while Howard is the best defensive payer of the team. Both aiding to their strength to help the team

DuMa
10-02-2012, 12:42 AM
Kobe in media day: "it's my team"

http://assets.sbnation.com/assets/1266325/kobev.gif

lilblasta
10-02-2012, 12:42 AM
I think everyone knows that it is Kobe's team in terms of his status among fans or ranking in the laker franchise,
but with two superstars who had been franchise players for the past 6 years coming in, do you think it's a wise choice to say "this is my team" in front of the world?

Yes. Because it is. There is no issue here, quit trying to make drama out of nothing. It's kind of sad really. Please read my edit from my previous post.

kennethgriffin
10-02-2012, 12:43 AM

i swear when people hate on a guy like kobe or lebron or durant and try and say its not their team. all i can picture is them looking like this

http://i200.photobucket.com/albums/aa280/cashforcards/frewrefre-1.png

devin112
10-02-2012, 12:44 AM
He's the leader, so it's his team. Nash will probably run the offense and Dwight will probably be the leader defensively... idk something like that.

G-train
10-02-2012, 12:45 AM
It's Jerry Buss's team.

:confusedshrug:

tommyhtc
10-02-2012, 12:47 AM
Yes. Because it is. There is no issue here, quit trying to make drama out of nothing. It's kind of sad really. Please read my edit from my previous post.
I'm not trying to make drama out of anything,
what I'm saying is, even though what Kobe said is very obvious and in many ways quite true, he shouldn't flat out say it in front of everyone else.

And yes, of course dwight howard is going to say he is trying to learn, because he is trying to politically correct.

Many may think this is Kobe's "swag" or anything, but it is this type of I don't give a sxxx attitude that can cause problems

kennethgriffin
10-02-2012, 12:47 AM
It's Jerry Buss's team.

:confusedshrug:

kobe > buss

look at 2004 and 2007

clear cut examples of the power ranking

lilblasta
10-02-2012, 12:50 AM
I'm not trying to make drama out of anything,
what I'm saying is, even though what Kobe said is very obvious and in many ways quite true, he shouldn't flat out say it in front of everyone else.

And yes, of course dwight howard is going to say he is trying to learn, because he is trying to politically correct.

Many may think this is Kobe's "swag" or anything, but it is this type of I don't give a sxxx attitude that can cause problems

The reporter ASKED HIM DIRECTLY who was the leader of the team and in your own words he gave an answer that was "very obvious and in many ways quite true", so why exactly shouldn't he flat out say it in front of everyone else if it is such an obvious and true statement?

And Dwight isn't trying to be politically correct, he's being honest. His run as a leader in Orlando didn't result in championships so he wants to better himself and learn from some of the best.

daily
10-02-2012, 12:51 AM
I got a question earlier about whose team this is. I don't want to get into the, 'Well, we share ...' No, it's my team. But I want to make sure that Dwight (Howard), when I retire, this is going to be his.

"I'm willing to go through that process, learn from one of the greatest to ever play the game and I think it will be great," Howard said. "I think learning from a guy like Kobe, I know he's going to be tough on me but I expect that and I want him to do that. So, I'll take all the heat that he's going to give me because I know at the end of the day that's going to make me a better player and a better person and it's going to make this team better."

End of faux drama

oh the horror
10-02-2012, 12:53 AM
And Dwight isn't trying to be politically correct, he's being honest. His run as a leader in Orlando didn't result in championships so he wants to better himself and learn from some of the best.

I think you bring up a good point. Maybe Dwight is finally learning that he does need to go through the process, and learn more before taking the lead position.

I dont know where exactly he felt he was going to go and be "the man" anyway.

tommyhtc
10-02-2012, 12:58 AM
The reporter ASKED HIM DIRECTLY who was the leader of the team and in your own words he gave an answer that was "very obvious and in many ways quite true", so why exactly shouldn't he flat out say it in front of everyone else if it is such an obvious and true statement?

because that's not probably a good way to start the season, all NBA players have egos, especially superstars, yes dwight howard right now may truly believe that he has a lot to learn, but he(along with everyone else) also knows that kobe is no longer on top of his game, being in his own prime, do you honest think he believes he is inferior to Kobe? i don't think so.

You can say the same about when Kobe was entering the lakers. Everyone knows it is shaq's team, but Kobe eventually had enough of Shaq. By 2003,2004 Kobe has gotten much better, but shaq still believes Kobe is his second option. Right now Kobe is like shaq, and if he keeps on thinking this way, there will be problems.

you are interpreting his " my team" statement as him trying to say his the leader, but "my team" can mean much more than that, it can mean that he is still the best player in the team, at least this is how I look at it.

And don't blame dwight's failure in orlando as a leader, the management has more blame than he does.

DatAsh
10-02-2012, 12:59 AM
If I were a Lakers fan, I'd much rather Kobe Bryant lead the team than Dwight Howard. Being the team's best player doesn't make you the team's best leader.

LakersReign
10-02-2012, 12:59 AM
Kobe answered the question and flat out put an end to any ridiculous speculation about whose team it is. He probably already heard that ludicrous theory of the Lakers supposedly being Howard's team now. Kobe wasn't about to do the dance Wade/Lebron did. "Oh well....it's his(Lebron to Wade) team. Not it's his(Wade to Lebron) team." He was asked the question, and answered it. The end

kennethgriffin
10-02-2012, 01:01 AM
If I were a Lakers fan, I'd much rather Kobe Bryant lead the team than Dwight Howard. Being the team's best player doesn't make you the team's best leader.

the best player also wins finals mvp more often than not. and i'l bet it wont be dwight if the lakers win the title

ROCSteady
10-02-2012, 01:09 AM
This is absolutely Kobe Bryant's team. He's just being honest as Mr. Bryant tends to be with the media about the Lakers.

Bryant has seen it all, grizzled, accomplished the highest of achievements with titles , scoring crowns, MVP, Olympic Gold medalS for America, etc.

But he has also been accused of being a chucker, missed the playoffs as the league's best player, had public feuds with possibly the only more domineering player he's ever played with (not to mention the greatest Champion coach ever), had public court cases, plays in one of U.S's largest market, etc.

Kobe's been around so much and seen so many valleys and peaks the only question is: How can Kobe NOT be this team's ultimate leader??

Can't wait to get it going

http://blitzsportsnetwork.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/08/2013-los-angeles-lakers1.jpg

Nash's main concern is a ring, Dwight now in LA market where his passive aggressive shit won't fly. Either he plays it straight or he'll get aired out way worse than he did in ORL. And and we have Pau too still.....:rockon:

lilblasta
10-02-2012, 01:10 AM
because that's not probably a good way to start the season, all NBA players have egos, especially superstars, yes dwight howard right now may truly believe that he has a lot to learn, but he(along with everyone else) also knows that kobe is no longer on top of his game, being in his own prime, do you honest think he believes he is inferior to Kobe? i don't think so.

You can say the same about when Kobe was entering the lakers. Everyone knows it is shaq's team, but Kobe eventually had enough of Shaq. By 2003,2004 Kobe has gotten much better, but shaq still believes Kobe is his second option. Right now Kobe is like shaq, and if he keeps on thinking this way, there will be problems.

you are interpreting his " my team" statement as him trying to say his the leader, but "my team" can mean much more than that, it can mean that he is still the best player in the team, at least this is how I look at it.

And don't blame dwight's failure in orlando as a leader, the management has more blame than he does.

Oh, okay so this thread is really about saying Kobe isn't as good as he was? And that Dwight is the best individual player on the team? Yes, those are both true, HOWEVER

I don't know how many sports teams you have played on, but being the best player on a team doesn't make you the leader, and visa versa.

As far as Kobe being like Shaq and refusing to give up the reigns of the team, Kobe made it clear the keys are his when he retires (which in all likely hood will be after next season). Dwight wants to learn right now and just as Lakers reign said, Kobe is stomping out any media rumors of team turmoil over who is the leader right at the start of it. It was a smart move.

Maybe Dwight's failure to win championships in Orlando isn't all his fault, but Dwight still understands that at the end of the day he didn't win. He wants to win, so he is happy to be with the Lakers where he can learn from winners. I know I am repeating myself a lot but that is because there is really not much to it. What you are claiming is unfounded conjecture, so there's not much else I can say but the facts.

tommyhtc
10-02-2012, 01:17 AM
Oh, okay so this thread is really about saying Kobe isn't as good as he was? And that Dwight is the best individual player on the team? Yes, those are both true, HOWEVER

I don't know how many sports teams you have played on, but being the best player on a team doesn't make you the leader, and visa versa.

As far as Shaq being like Kobe and refusing to give up the reigns of the team, Kobe made it clear the keys are his when he retires (which in all likely hood will be after next season). Dwight wants to learn right now and just as Lakers reign said, Kobe is stomping out any media rumors of team turmoil over who is the leader right at the start of it. It was a smart move.

Maybe Dwight's failure to win championships in Orlando isn't all his fault, but Dwight still understands that at the end of the day he didn't win. He wants to win, so he is happy to be with the Lakers where he can learn from winners. I know I am repeating myself a lot but that is because there is really not much to it. What you are claiming is unfounded conjecture, so there's not much else I can say but the facts.
this thread is not about whether Kobe's is still the best, it's about how that arrogant attitude of his that could eventually hurt the team. I'm not trying to infer anything.

Did shaq have a timetable in his head on when to pass the torch to Kobe? I think so, does Kobe have a timetable as well? Yes, but do their time tables fit into the reality? Maybe not...

Right now, there is no question on who is gonna be the leader of the laker team, but if Kobe keeps on dismissing these questions as silly questions, it will eventually be problematic for the lakers.

TheBigVeto
10-02-2012, 01:20 AM
Of course it's his team. David Stern said so.

lilblasta
10-02-2012, 01:27 AM
this thread is not about whether Kobe's is still the best, it's about how that arrogant attitude of his that could eventually hurt the team. I'm not trying to infer anything.

Did shaq have a timetable in his head on when to pass the torch to Kobe? I think so, does Kobe have a timetable as well? Yes, but do their time tables fit into the reality? Maybe not...

Right now, there is no question on who is gonna be the leader of the laker team, but if Kobe keeps on dismissing these questions as silly questions, it will eventually be problematic for the lakers.

His attitude wasn't arrogant or rude, it was an honest answer to a question. It was the first time he was asked the question, and get used to hearing the answer "It is my team, and when I retire it is Dwight's team" if it gets asked anymore. I think it is not reasonable to believe that answer will be problematic at all. Also he never 'dismissed it as a silly question', he answered the question with a direct answer, he didn't laugh off the question or say it was a stupid question. You are reading way too deeply into what Kobe said.

Oh and you don't know if Shaq had any time table so that doesn't really offer up any solid support for your suggestion.

tmacattack33
10-02-2012, 01:28 AM
The fact that he said it was a silly question leads me to believe he was moreso talking about it being his city and his team, since he's been there for like 18 years and Dwight just got there a month ago. So he's the face of the team. It's ridiculous to think otherwise.

It doesn't seem like he's saying he's going to be the best player on the team, because that certainly would not be a ridiculously silly question.

tommyhtc
10-02-2012, 01:33 AM
His attitude wasn't arrogant or rude, it was an honest answer to a question. It was the first time he was asked the question, and get used to hearing the answer "It is my team, and when I retire it is Dwight's team" if it gets asked anymore. I think it is not reasonable to believe that answer will be problematic at all. Also he never 'dismissed it as a silly question', he answered the question with a direct answer, he didn't laugh off the question or say it was a stupid question. You are reading way too deeply into what Kobe said.

Oh and you don't know if Shaq had any time table so that doesn't really offer up any solid support for your suggestion.
hmm... watch the interview he did with craig sager, he did dismiss it as a silly question.
It was not really a direct answer, it's quite obvious he that found the question to be ridiculous.

Yes, the answer was correct, but how he thinks it's a stupid question is what's really bothering me.

Let's say Shaq never had a time table, but that doesn't change my argument. What I'm trying to say is that what superstars perceive is quite often very different from the reality. And that's because of their ego and confidence in themselves.

Shaq did not believe his time is up, but his performance suggested otherwise.
I don't know if Kobe believes he has declined, but at least he thinks he is still good enough to laugh that question off.

KOBE143
10-02-2012, 01:33 AM
Kobe will be the Leader and the best player on the team. Dwight will be the sidekick.

I agree.. :rockon:

lilblasta
10-02-2012, 01:43 AM
hmm... watch the interview he did with craig sager, he did dismiss it as a silly question.
It was not really a direct answer, it's quite obvious he that found the question to be ridiculous.

Yes, the answer was correct, but how he thinks it's a stupid question is what's really bothering me.

Let's say Shaq never had a time table, but that doesn't change my argument. What I'm trying to say is that what superstars perceive is quite often very different from the reality. And that's because of their ego and confidence in themselves.

Shaq did not believe his time is up, but his performance suggested otherwise.
I don't know if Kobe believes he has declined, but at least he thinks he is still good enough to laugh that question off.

Haha, he did say it was a silly question. However, you are suggesting that by Kobe saying he is the leader of the team he is somehow feeding his own ego and telling himself he is the best player on the team. You are still associating "It's my team" with meaning "I'm the best player on the team" as if it is some kind of certain fact. That is simply not true. It is a loose conjecture based on how you perceive athletes to be. You really don't have any stone cold facts in your defense, and if you have read all the other posts on this thread everyone else agrees that Kobe is stating the obvious. He is the leader of the team. That doesn't mean he is saying he is the best player on the team, nor should it matter. Once again, you are looking for locker drama that is not there.

RazorBaLade
10-02-2012, 01:44 AM
whoever gets the ball with 30 seconds left in gm 7 of nba finals is who the leader of the team is

and it will be kobe

All Net
10-02-2012, 01:48 AM
Look how long he has been on this team leading it. How would it not still be his team?

tommyhtc
10-02-2012, 01:53 AM
Haha, he did say it was a silly question. However, you are suggesting that by Kobe saying he is the leader of the team he is somehow feeding his own ego and telling himself he is the best player on the team. You are still associating "It's my team" with meaning "I'm the best player on the team" as if it is some kind of certain fact. That is simply not true. It is a loose conjecture based on how you perceive athletes to be. You really don't have any stone cold facts in your defense, and if you have read all the other posts on this thread everyone else agrees that Kobe is stating the obvious. He is the leader of the team. That doesn't mean he is saying he is the best player on the team, nor should it matter. Once again, you are looking for locker drama that is not there.
you're right, we never really know whether Kobe still thinks he's the best, and that's really what I inferred from the kobe I know so far.

LOL, again I'm not looking for locker drama, I'm just looking at whether shaq vs kobe will happen all over again.

That's why I'm trying to analyze Kobe's attitude right now, I just think his dismissive attitude and the fact that he doesn't need to think twice before answering questions like these(even if the answer is obvious) will play a huge role in his relationship with dwight. we'll see..

lilblasta
10-02-2012, 01:58 AM
you're right, we never really know whether Kobe still thinks he's the best, and that's really what I inferred from the kobe I know so far.

LOL, again I'm not looking for locker drama, I'm just looking at whether shaq vs kobe will happen all over again.

That's why I'm trying to analyze Kobe's attitude right now, I just think his dismissive attitude and the fact that he doesn't need to think twice before answering questions like these(even if the answer is obvious) will play a huge role in his relationship with dwight. we'll see..

Ok so let me get this straight... You are "not looking for locker room drama" yet you want to see if "shaq vs kobe will happen all over again".. hmmm.. okay..

SHAQ VS KOBE WAS LOCKER ROOM DRAMA.
:coleman:

tommyhtc
10-02-2012, 02:01 AM
Ok so let me get this straight... You are "not looking for locker room drama" yet you want to see if "shaq vs kobe will happen all over again".. hmmm.. okay..

SHAQ VS KOBE WAS LOCKER ROOM DRAMA.
:coleman:
Looking for and trying to predict whether something will happen are two very different things.

I'm just trying to look at how will Kobe's personality and attitude affect his relationship with dwight howard, from the sources that I have. That's all.

SacJB Shady
10-02-2012, 02:03 AM
I believe Kobe will ultimately take a lot of shots. Just like in the all star games, he loves to show everyone even more so. Now he thinks it's just another all star team in which he will be the ultimate star of stars.

lilblasta
10-02-2012, 02:05 AM
Looking for and trying to predict whether something will happen are two very different things.

I'm just trying to look at how will Kobe's personality and attitude affect his relationship with dwight howard, from the sources that I have. That's all.

Sooooo you are 'trying to predict' locker room drama. Whatever man, now you are just being ridiculous.

You are looking for locker room drama. That's all

shadow
10-02-2012, 02:08 AM
Shaq used to say that a lot.
I'm really hoping he tones his game down and plays smart like he did in 2008. I'm sick of seeing the one man show, especially with his mileage. he runs out of gas by the time the 4th hits and ends up hurting the team more than he helps.

tommyhtc
10-02-2012, 02:11 AM
Sooooo you are 'trying to predict' locker room drama. Whatever man, now you are just being ridiculous.

You are looking for locker room drama. That's all
for the conversations that we've had throughout this thread, I thought we've reached the point where we understand each other's viewpoint,

but now you are just drawing conclusions.

I don't see why "predicting" something is ridiculous. You look at history and try to anticipate the future.

If Kobe have had problems before, who can say that it's impossible for him to have locker room problems again? or who can say he will definitely cause problems?
This is what predicting is all about. We look at how Kobe thinks right now, and think about whether his current actions may contribute to a future feud.

Rekindled
10-02-2012, 02:13 AM
well considering nash and howard havent played even 1 game with the lakers yet, obviously it's still kobe's team

lilblasta
10-02-2012, 02:23 AM
for the conversations that we've had throughout this thread, I thought we've reached the point where we understand each other's viewpoint,

but now you are just drawing conclusions.

I don't see why "predicting" something is ridiculous. You look at history and try to anticipate the future.

If Kobe have had problems before, who can say that it's impossible for him to have locker room problems again? or who can say he will definitely cause problems?
This is what predicting is all about. We look at how Kobe thinks right now, and think about whether his current actions may contribute to a future feud.

The kind of suggestion you are using, and have been using throughout this thread is the same thing Fox news does to push their aggressively conservative opinions under the guise of journalism. i.e. "Was Obama born outside of the US?" "Is public health care a potential disaster?" "Is the economic system failing under democratic administration?" "Is Obama a terrorist?". You are presenting an idea that paints a certain party in a negative light and doing so under the guise of asking questions to make it seem like you are legitimately trying to have a conversation about the topic.

In your case it is "Is Kobe ruining his relationship with his new team by saying it is his team?"

I have tried repeatedly to point out the facts to you but you keep going back to your opinions about Kobe as an egotistical douche, then saying he is possibly leading his team to its destruction before the season has even started. So I apologize if I am becoming rude, but I am getting impatient with you tip toeing around facts and repeatedly pushing the idea that Kobe is ruining the team by creating locker room drama.

tommyhtc
10-02-2012, 02:34 AM
The kind of suggestion you are using, and have been using throughout this thread is the same thing Fox news does to push their aggressively conservative opinions under the guise of journalism. i.e. "Was Obama born outside of the US?" "Is public health care a potential disaster?" "Is the economic system failing under democratic administration?" "Is Obama a terrorist?". You are presenting an idea that paints a certain party in a negative light and doing so under the guise of asking questions to make it seem like you are legitimately trying to have a conversation about the topic.

In your case it is "Is Kobe ruining his relationship with his new team by saying it is his team?"

I have tried repeatedly to point out the facts to you but you keep going back to your opinions about Kobe as an egotistical douche, then saying he is possibly leading his team to its destruction before the season has even started. So I apologize if I am becoming rude, but I am getting impatient with you tip toeing around facts and repeatedly pushing the idea that Kobe is ruining the team by creating locker room drama.
I don't know where this argument is heading because I can't really disagree with what you have said right here. I can't refute your opinions on how I look at this issue.

I probably sound like a broken record.
But,
Yes I am asking that question.

I don't care what kind of person Kobe is, what he said today is fine, but if he keeps on answering questions that way, he will impact the team negatively.

it's late and I'll probably stop right here.

daily
10-02-2012, 03:03 AM
Kobe's been in the league for how many years? He's won how many titles? I think Kobe knows what it takes to win games in the NBA. This worrying about how Kobe views himself is just a bunch of static.

BlackVVaves
10-02-2012, 04:05 AM
I understand and agree with OP in some respect. Kobe could have taken the high road and said "it's our team" like Dwight said earlier. It would have been a nice gentle massage on the ego of Dwight.

However, I also understand what Kobe wad doing. I don't think he was being egotistic, but rather nipping it in the butt early who the leader of the team was. When the leader of the team is doubtful, or up to public opinion, things can and usually DO go sour when adversity hits when it inevitably does - ask the 2011 Miami Heat, who struggled with that search from the pre-season to the last game of the Finals.

Check out what Nash said today on the topic:

I think this is Kobe's team. For the media's perspective, this is Kobe's team. But anyone who's ever played on a basketball team, it's also our team. The team needs to share in that responsibility. Kobe can't do everything. He's going to be great at what he's great at, and the rest of us got to pick up the pieces that get to us. This is undoubtedly Kobe's team. He's been here his whole career. He's won championships. And he's the best player on the team. We got to be there for him every day, so it's essentially our team as well.

I think Nash hits it right on the head. It's Kobe's team, in terms of leadership and tenure. But, it's the sum of the pieces that will determine how far the Lakers go, so it's also their team.

I don't agree with him that Kobe is the best player on the team (I think Dwight will be), but that's just my opinion.

BlackVVaves
10-02-2012, 04:09 AM
I'm willing to go through that process, learn from one of the greatest to ever play the game and I think it will be great. I think learning from a guy like Kobe, I know he's going to be tough on me but I expect that and I want him to do that. So, I'll take all the heat that he's going to give me because I know at the end of the day that's going to make me a better player and a better person and it's going to make this team better.

Interesting.

DirtySanchez
10-02-2012, 04:14 AM
Kobe is the alpha Dogg...agree with him 100%.

LakersReign
10-02-2012, 04:15 AM
I don't know where this argument is heading because I can't really disagree with what you have said right here. I can't refute your opinions on how I look at this issue.

I probably sound like a broken record.
But,
Yes I am asking that question.

I don't care what kind of person Kobe is, what he said today is fine, but if he keeps on answering questions that way, he will impact the team negatively.

it's late and I'll probably stop right here.

You can continue posting, further embarrassing yourself, trying to convince people to see something that obviously ISN'T there.:sleeping

DirtySanchez
10-02-2012, 04:17 AM
I understand and agree with OP in some respect. Kobe could have taken the high road and said "it's our team" like Dwight said earlier. It would have been a nice gentle massage on the ego of Dwight.

However, I also understand what Kobe wad doing. I don't think he was being egotistic, but rather nipping it in the butt early who the leader of the team was. When the leader of the team is doubtful, or up to public opinion, things can and usually DO go sour when adversity hits when it inevitably does - ask the 2011 Miami Heat, who struggled with that search from the pre-season to the last game of the Finals.

Check out what Nash said today on the topic:

I think Nash hits it right on the head. It's Kobe's team, in terms of leadership and tenure. But, it's the sum of the pieces that will determine how far the Lakers go, so it's also their team.

I don't agree with him that Kobe is the best player on the team (I think Dwight will be), but that's just my opinion.

Nash makes everything better....man we really don't need Fisher anymore. Nash is the good cop.

Cali Syndicate
10-02-2012, 04:26 AM
Look how long he has been on this team leading it. How would it not still be his team?

Seriously, right?

Kobe might not be young anymore but I doubt he's stepping aside for anyone let alone Dwight or Nash. And the Olympics really cemented the mentality Kobe lives and dies with. In his mind he'a still the best player in the L and can compete with anyone, it's his body that won't be holding up.

senelcoolidge
10-02-2012, 04:35 AM
It's my team..Kobe..:lol . This team is going to underachieve. Please Kobe just make it your team.

blacknapalm
10-02-2012, 04:43 AM
as competitive as kobe is, i didn't really expect him to say anything different. dwight's had to be the man and he's gotten to the finals but now he's going to learn the nuances of what makes a champion from kobe and pau since they've been there. let's not forget artest and nash have plenty of playoff experience under their belts as well.

dwight is not going to take this as literal as some of you make it seem. kobe's the face of the franchise until he retires. that's just the way it is. he said the same sort of things when the media was calling him old. that...overt attitude can be both a strength and weakness.

anyway, these are grown ass men. they won't be offended by what kobe said. that's just who he is. they're not going to get in a war of words or argue about semantics. this shit ain't the jersey shore.

really...this on par for kobe. the more interesting statement he made was this:

"On its face, it’s the best talent I’ve been around," Bryant said. "Whether that translates into winning a championship remains to be seen. But just on paper you’re talking Defensive Player of the Years, MVPs, All-Stars. You’re talking about a myriad of things. Guys who are at the top of their position at one point or another. It’s pretty dope."

when he says stuff like that, expectations will obviously be high....

Ruutu
10-02-2012, 04:54 AM
I can see some conflict in this team...but maibe not...

swag2011
10-02-2012, 05:03 AM
LOL i don't know why people are surprised with Kobe saying it's his team. Is it not? He may not be the best player on the team any more, but i can guarantee you that when the Lakers lose ANY game this year, the blame will 100% be placed on Kobe. Whether it's because he shoots too much, doesn't shoot enough, doesn't pass enough, didn't play good D, or whatever. He'll get the blame for it, and he doesn't mind that role. That's a f*ckin leader.

And i love how you don't put the part in where he clearly says he wants to teach Dwight everything he knows and this will be his team in 2 to 3 years.

White Mamba
10-02-2012, 05:22 AM
its kobe's team in good or bad, if they fail all eyes will be on kobe, so yes its his team.

coin24
10-02-2012, 05:32 AM
LOL i don't know why people are surprised with Kobe saying it's his team. Is it not? He may not be the best player on the team any more, but i can guarantee you that when the Lakers lose ANY game this year, the blame will 100% be placed on Kobe. Whether it's because he shoots too much, doesn't shoot enough, doesn't pass enough, didn't play good D, or whatever. He'll get the blame for it, and he doesn't mind that role. That's a f*ckin leader.

And i love how you don't put the part in where he clearly says he wants to teach Dwight everything he knows and this will be his team in 2 to 3 years.

This:applause:

Kobe.. Such a knowledgeable and giving leader.. Hes the #1 option that the Lakers need right now:bowdown: :bowdown:

Jax
10-02-2012, 05:43 AM
i swear when people hate on a guy like kobe or lebron or durant and try and say its not their team. all i can picture is them looking like this

Thing is, most people that try to make fun of other peoples weight actually look like that lol:facepalm

Nero Tulip
10-02-2012, 05:49 AM

You realise that is exactly what everybody here knows you are like?

miller-time
10-02-2012, 06:07 AM
He's the leader, so it's his team. Nash will probably run the offense and Dwight will probably be the leader defensively... idk something like that.

so if nash is running the offense and dwight is leading the defense then what exactly is kobe leading?

coin24
10-02-2012, 06:13 AM
so if nash is running the offense and dwight is leading the defense then what exactly is kobe leading?

FGA:rockon: :rockon:

Like a boss:applause: :bowdown: :bowdown:

MaxFly
10-02-2012, 06:20 AM
Do you guys think there will be chemistry problems? how will dwight howard and steve nash react to Kobe's dominance? I'm sure this has been beaten to death, but this is really the first time where Kobe openly talks about his role in the laker team.

I don't think there will be chemistry problems largely because of a few things Bryant said that you failed to comment on. They really touch on his overall mindset on this particular issue. I'm surprised that you did not make mention of them in your original post.

How do you feel about this quote...

"I got a question earlier about whose team this is," Bryant told reporters at the Lakers media day Monday. "I don't want to get into the, 'Well, we share ...' No, it's my team. But I want to make sure that Dwight, when I retire, this is going to be his. I want to teach him everything I possibly know so that when I step away this organization can ride on as if I never left."

... or this one...

"According to Bryant, part of his plan to nurture Howard is to prepare the All-Star center to become the face of the Lakers franchise when he retires. Bryant has two years remaining on his contract with the team. Howard only has one year, but it is widely assumed that Howard will re-sign a max extension with the Lakers this upcoming offseason.

This organization has done so much for me. I'm so thankful to them," Bryant said. "That's one of the conversations that (Lakers vice president of player personnel) Jimmy (Buss) and I had over the summer. It was like, 'If you have the opportunity to get Dwight, get him because I want to see this organization continue to flourish and continue to be successful long after I'm gone.' "

It seems like he's going about this the right way and that everyone is on board, especially Dwight.

Nick Young
10-02-2012, 06:38 AM
Gawdbe asserting his dominance:bowdown: :bowdown:

Rysio
10-02-2012, 08:19 AM
captainobviousBe

of course its your team.

BoutPractice
10-02-2012, 08:43 AM
If you were Kobe you'd answer the same thing.
And in many ways you'd be right.

At this stage in his career though Dwight and Gasol will be the ones who make the difference between winning and losing. They represent the team's "strategic advantage".

Kobe will do what he does, but the Lakers will only win the championship if Dwight and Gasol don't underperform.

That's why I hope he plans to share the rock a bit more next year so his teammates can flourish.

christian1923
10-02-2012, 08:53 AM
That's why he's a 5 time champion! This man is a legend!:bowdown:

OhNoTimNoSho
10-02-2012, 10:46 AM
Only on ISH will a simple factual statement receive pages of analysis, speculation, and mental *********ing

takai
10-02-2012, 11:38 AM
Kobe haters are so salty.

Yes, this is Kobe's team. It will always be his until he leaves. He's the best player, he's won championships, MVP's, etc. He's done everything with this team and has lead 5 teams to a championship ring. There is no doubt that it's his team, and anyone who thinks otherwise is a friggin' moron.

Swaggin916
10-02-2012, 11:45 AM

This. Kobe is the dominant personality on that team. However, lets not think he's not going shotjack still and shit. There will be times when he will do that... but I do suspect they will be a lot fewer this year as we will be in control of most games. Everybody is super motivated.

LakersReign
10-02-2012, 12:11 PM
Kobe haters are so salty.

Yes, this is Kobe's team. It will always be his until he leaves. He's the best player, he's won championships, MVP's, etc. He's done everything with this team and has lead 5 teams to a championship ring. There is no doubt that it's his team, and anyone who thinks otherwise is a friggin' moron.

Exactly:lol

AlphaWolf24
10-02-2012, 12:23 PM
When you are the #1 option in crunchtime...it's always your team.

Kobe's team since 2001 easily...

deal wit it.

next

crisoner
10-02-2012, 12:36 PM
LMAO

This is not an issue what so ever.
It's Kobe's team and trust me everybody will bow out to him.
And this is exactly what Dwight needs a guy like Kobe pushing him hard.
He already said it himself.

scm5
10-02-2012, 12:55 PM
It's kinda like the Spurs. Tim Duncan is no longer the best player on the Spurs, I would say TP is... the margin between Timmy and TP is about the same between Kobe and Dwight. The Spurs will be Timmy's until he retires.

What I am hoping for as a Laker fan is that Kobe learns this season that he doesn't need to put up huge numbers all the time to have people recognize it's his team, much the same as Timmy's style of leadership in San Antonio. If he realizes this, I believe he would be able to play for 4-5 more years, not put up such incredible numbers, but still be dominant in spurts while letting the rest of the team do their thing. Learn from Timmy, Kobe.

niko
10-02-2012, 01:20 PM
Who do you want the team to take on the personality of? Kobe or Howard?

Yeah i thought so...

scm5
10-02-2012, 01:22 PM
Who do you want the team to take on the personality of? Kobe or Howard?

Yeah i thought so...

Well, Howard's personality on the court isn't exactly a bad thing. He might be lighthearted and smiley, but he always wants to win and tries his hardest. He's very active defensively as well.

This is coming from a Laker fan who can't really stand Dwight. His off court persona, in interviews... makes me cringe. Easily the fakest NBA player there is.

DCL
10-02-2012, 01:23 PM
when kg and ray allen went to boston, it was the big 3. yeah, it was paul pierce's original team, but they divided up the shine and pretty much became just one single triple-unit entity.

but of course kobe would have none of that sharing the glory sh!t. :oldlol:

niko
10-02-2012, 01:36 PM
Well, Howard's personality on the court isn't exactly a bad thing. He might be lighthearted and smiley, but he always wants to win and tries his hardest. He's very active defensively as well.

This is coming from a Laker fan who can't really stand Dwight. His off court persona, in interviews... makes me cringe. Easily the fakest NBA player there is.
Dwight gets frustrated and loses confidence. He floats at times. he just gives good effort, but if he takes on the Kobe swagger and anger? With his skillset and physical gifts? He'd be freaking ridiculous.

AlphaWolf24
10-02-2012, 01:37 PM
when kg and ray allen went to boston, it was the big 3. yeah, it was paul pierce's original team, but they divided up the shine and pretty much became just one single triple-unit entity.

but of course kobe would have none of that sharing the glory sh!t. :oldlol:

- triple unit entity?...that broke up 4 seaons later and they hate Ray allen now.

- Kobe was also a 5X champion/greatest player of his generation...PP was on some of the worst teams in NBA History and never won anything before 2 other great players joined him.

DCL
10-02-2012, 01:37 PM
- triple unit entity?...that broke up 4 seaons later and they hate Ray allen now.

talking about at the time. not now. of course, they hate jesus now.

AlphaWolf24
10-02-2012, 01:40 PM
talking about at the time. not now. of course, they hate jesus now.

again,

- a triple unit entity that won 1 title then broke up after 4 seasons...

- Kobe is already a 5X champion and by far the greatest player of his generation...Paul Pierce was never at that level , especially before KG and Ray joined.

- you know not what of you spoke.

DCL
10-02-2012, 01:43 PM
again,

- a triple unit entity that won 1 title then broke up after 4 seasons...

- Kobe is already a 5X champion and by far the greatest player of his generation...Paul Pierce was never at that level , especially before KG and Ray joined.

- you know not what of you spoke.

you are talking out of your ass because you keep on bringing an argument i didn't even make. just stop.

AlphaWolf24
10-02-2012, 01:49 PM
you are talking out of your ass because you keep on bringing an argument i didn't even make. just stop.

- your whole silly response was to show that Kobe wouldn't want to share the spotlight with DH and Nash...( as to why he claimed it was his team)

- you then referenced Paul Pierce and the Celtics ( when KG and Ray showed up)

- I showed you how it was clearly not the same scenario.....and even still it turned out less then stellar so far for the Celtics.

- anything else?...if not then please get back in my pocket kid.

next

DCL
10-02-2012, 01:54 PM
- your whole silly response was to show that Kobe wouldn't want to share the spotlight with DH and Nash...( as to why he claimed it was his team)

- you then referenced Paul Pierce and the Celtics ( when KG and Ray showed up)

- I showed you how it was clearly not the same scenario.....and even still it turned out less then stellar so far for the Celtics.

- anything else?...if not then please get back in my pocket kid.

next

well, you really love talking out of your ass.

i said kobe will have none of that sharing the glory crap, which is correct, yet you keep on pulling dumb ass arguments on why you love to suck kobe's d!ck so much. :confusedshrug:

Sarcastic
10-02-2012, 01:59 PM

- Kobe was also a 5X champion/greatest player of his generation...PP was on some of the worst teams in NBA History and never won anything before 2 other great players joined him.

Shaq isn't part of Kobe's generation? Lebron isn't part of Kobe's generation?

kuniva_dAMiGhTy
10-02-2012, 02:02 PM
Either Kobe or Nash's team. Both of them are great leaders.

Overdrive
10-02-2012, 02:16 PM
whoever gets the ball with 30 seconds left in gm 7 of nba finals is who the leader of the team is

and it will be kobe

Although I agree that Kobe is the leader, why should Dwight handle the ball with 30 seconds left? That's more related to position. We might aswell see Nash having the ball in his hands at that moment. Doesn't make Nash the leader.

BlackVVaves
10-02-2012, 02:21 PM

Lebron, no. Lebron, Wade, Bosh, and many of the stars of the 02-05 drafts are considered in a generation of their own.

Some people also consider Shaq in a different "generation" of players, a generation that preceded the Kobe, Ray Allen, Tim Duncan, Dirk "generation."

But, that just comes down to perception. I'm any case, I'd say Kobe & Duncan, not merely Kobe, are the greatest of their generation. Dirk, Nash, Ray Allen, Iverson, KG, Kidd, Carter, T-Mac. In terms of fulfilled career, no one comes close.

crisoner
10-02-2012, 02:21 PM
Good lord...

Kobe statement just shows WHY he is a dying breed in the NBA.
And all these kids on these boards that take offense to it get some freaking dry panties now. The man has the experience and knowledge of winning titles on the NBA's biggest stage. Dwight can learn from that and it will be Dwight's team when Kobe is gone.

There is a clear pecking order and Dwight will benefit from this.

AlphaWolf24
10-02-2012, 02:40 PM

- yes they are...and Kobe won SI poll , SN's poll and TNT's Poll by a wide margin as the Decade's greatest player..

- trust me it wasn't even close.

AlphaWolf24
10-02-2012, 02:42 PM
well, you really love talking out of your ass.

i said kobe will have none of that sharing the glory crap, which is correct, yet you keep on pulling dumb ass arguments on why you love to suck kobe's d!ck so much. :confusedshrug:

- so Kobe won't share the Glory?....like Paul Pierce did ? right?...

that is what you are trying to say? ( BTW look what that got em')

- go away son....you silly and sad.

Overdrive
10-02-2012, 02:46 PM
- yes they are...and Kobe won SI poll , SN's poll and TNT's Poll by a wide margin as the Decade's greatest player..

Shaq's prime ended half way through the decade, Lebron's started at the decade's end. Only compareable players in that timespan were Duncan and Garnett. Kobe's > both imo, although I'd built around Duncan.

If it was 1995-2005 it would change trastically. Decade just sounds and looks more poppy and people dig that. Kobe's prim just happened to start at the decades start.

Money 23
10-02-2012, 02:50 PM
If it was 1995-2005 it would change trastically. Decade just sounds and looks more poppy and people dig that. Kobe's prim just happened to start at the decades start.
Yea. Kobe's prime started in 2001 and ended in 2008, Shaq's started in 1995 and ended in 2003. LeBron's started in 2008 or 2009. Each of these players is a different generation, IMO. I'd consider KG / Duncan apart of Kobe's generation. They all hit their primes around the same time.

NASH = BEST
10-02-2012, 03:30 PM
The shyt is really funny how the media is making this a big deal. Kobe was asked a question and he gave the right answer. I mean how do expect him to answer that?

It doesn't come off as he's trying hard to let everyone know its still his team. MJ never had to proclaim his status on the Bulls, but I dont think the media ever asked him either. MJ would have probably beat the reporter up just for asking, followed by the dude likely getting fired for doing so.

One of the main reasons why this question was even asked is because of the Shaq/Kobe drama. It's just the media trying to stir some Hollywood shyt up again, and its also great for trolls to feed off of on message boards.

Anyways, it's Kobe's team till Dwight learns how to make it his, and I think Kobe gets that. Could come sooner than Kobe's retirement also. Dwight is no doubt the best player on the team, but like others have pointed out, DH hasnt shown yet the determination, obsession, and leadership of a Kobe or LeBron. And making it to the Finals out of the East probably doesn't impress Kobe much either. Nash will no doubt be Co Captain, and Howard doesn't seem to mind taking a back seat to these guys. After I read some of the quotes from media day Howard seams comfortable not having all the pressure squarly on him for once.

There is more pressure on Kobe to win this year than anyone else on the team, and most of the criticism will fall on him if the Lakers don't win. So if it wasn't his team then why would that be the case?

Overdrive
10-02-2012, 03:40 PM
It doesn't come off as he's trying hard to let everyone know its still his team. MJ never had to proclaim his status on the Bulls, but I dont think the media ever asked him either. MJ would have probably beat the reporter up just for asking, followed by the dude likely getting fired for doing so.

If another MVP candidate went to the Bulls in '98 they would've asked Jordan the same question. I don't get why it's a problem to ask this.

Kujo
10-02-2012, 04:28 PM
Do you guys think there will be chemistry problems?

Yes. Absolutely.

Kobe's never played with a ball dominate PG like Steve Nash before. I'm fascinated to see how these two mesh.

NASH = BEST
10-02-2012, 04:32 PM
If another MVP candidate went to the Bulls in '98 they would've asked Jordan the same question. I don't get why it's a problem to ask this.

I don't think its a problem to ask, I just think its funny over the reaction of Kobe's answer. Its getting made a bigger deal than it should be, trying to create problems.

If Shaq would have gone to the Bulls in 98', and the same question and answer had been given by Jordan, would the public reaction be the same?

Overdrive
10-02-2012, 04:34 PM
I don't think its a problem to ask, I just think its funny over the reaction of Kobe's answer. Its getting made a bigger deal than it should be, trying to create problems.

If Shaq would have gone to the Bulls in 98', and the same question and answer had been given by Jordan, would the public reaction be the same?

I see, you're right, the reaction is blown out of proportion. They didn't even play one game.
And no it would not, although Jordan produced more locker room dramas than either Kobe or Shaq.

Heavincent
10-02-2012, 04:36 PM
Kobe is just stating the obvious. Don't see what the big deal is :confusedshrug:

Sarcastic
10-02-2012, 04:38 PM

A decade and a generation are not the same thing. Had you said Kobe was the best player of the 2000s, then I would agree with you.

NASH = BEST
10-02-2012, 04:39 PM
Yes. Absolutely.

Kobe's never played with a ball dominate PG like Steve Nash before. I'm fascinated to see how these two mesh.

I am also, but I'm very optimistic about what we're about to witness. Nash has never played with the quality of these skilled athletes before.

Money 23
10-02-2012, 05:02 PM
It's Kobe's team, LeBron's league though.

:biggums:

Dictator
10-02-2012, 05:03 PM
I don't see what so wrong.....

AlphaWolf24
10-02-2012, 05:28 PM
A decade and a generation are not the same thing. Had you said Kobe was the best player of the 2000s, then I would agree with you.

I said "best player of his generation"

meaning the 00's generation..

it is the same thing.

example:

80's generation = Magic / Bird

90's = MJ

00's = Kobe

BlackVVaves
10-02-2012, 05:59 PM
I said "best player of his generation"

meaning the 00's generation..

it is the same thing.

example:

80's generation = Magic / Bird

90's = MJ

00's = Kobe

No, it's not the same thing. Generation usually references draft classes, just as in sociological terms, it refers to a period of years in which you were born.

Being the best of your generation, and the best of a decade, is not entirely the same.

Legends66NBA7
10-02-2012, 06:00 PM
No, it's not the same thing. Generation usually references draft classes, just as in sociological terms, it refers to a period of years in which you were born.

Being the best of your generation, and the best of a decade, is not entirely the same.

How would one define a generation ?

DatAsh
10-02-2012, 06:01 PM
How would one define a generation ?

It's usually listed as 20-22 years, or somewhere in that ball-park.

Money 23
10-02-2012, 06:06 PM
Agreed. That is what a generation is ...

If we're naming best players of the decade, I don't even think it's that cut and dry for Kobe.

Much like the 80's is split between Bird and Magic, same goes for the 00's. The 00's is actually arguably between three players.

80s: Bird / Magic
90s: Jordan
00s: Shaq / Duncan / Kobe
10s: Bron

Legends66NBA7
10-02-2012, 06:06 PM

Well, looked it up myself:

the term of years, roughly 30 among human beings, accepted as the average period between the birth of parents and the birth of their offspring.

So it's not even been close yet to either definition. I just thought it was different in terms of sport.

Given yours and the definition look up... let's just say 25 years, for the hell of it. I'd rather stick to decades though.

DatAsh
10-02-2012, 06:08 PM

So it's not even been close yet to either definition. I just thought it was different in terms of sport.

Given yours and the definition look up... let's just say 25 years, for the hell of it. I'd rather stick to decades though.

Don't know where you got your source, but if it's somewhat reputable I would go with what it says. My answer wasn't scientific by any means - just the number I generally hear with regards to a generation.

Legends66NBA7
10-02-2012, 06:09 PM

I agree with this.

Pre-modern era would probably be something like:

50s: Mikan / Pettit
60s: Russell / Wilt
70s: Kareem

Legends66NBA7
10-02-2012, 06:10 PM
Don't know where you got your source, but if it's somewhat refutable I would go with what it says. My answer wasn't scientific by any means - just the number I generally hear with regards to a generation.

Oh okay, I just wanted two sources for a number.

I got it here:

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/generation

Money 23
10-02-2012, 06:16 PM
I agree with this.

Pre-modern era would probably be something like:

50s: Mikan / Pettit
60s: Russell / Wilt
70s: Kareem
I don't know much of the game pre Bird / Magic (the birth of modern era) but I have read about it, and sounds about right. But wouldn't Oscar be thrown into the 60s, and West / Baylor into the 70s as well? I think there is a few players that can be thrown in the conversation.

tpols
10-02-2012, 06:22 PM
I think you have to separate a basketball generation from the real life generation. It makes no sense to lump kobe and Bron into the same time period as bird magic and Kareem with everyone in between. There have been several distinct eras or 'generations' in the nba that usually go by the turns of the decade. It's semantixs

AlphaWolf24
10-02-2012, 06:23 PM

- I'm talking about sports...not social construct.

- since the average career of an athlete is probably under 5 years...a decade in sports represents a Generation

- again...in basketball generational speaking...

80's generation = Magic/Bird...by Dr.J , Kareem ,Isiah , Nique,King Dantley etc.

90's generation = MJ , Hakeem ,Robinson , Drexler , Malone , Barkley , PippenStockton etc.

00's generation = Kobe , Duncan , Shaq , TMAC , AI, Vince, Wade Lebron etc.

- social Generations and sports generations are two very different things

- By your Criteria...Kobe and AI would be the same generation as Magic and Bird...wich according to all of the basketball community is 100% wrong!

AlphaWolf24
10-02-2012, 06:31 PM
Agreed. That is what a generation is ...

If we're naming best players of the decade, I don't even think it's that cut and dry for Kobe.

Much like the 80's is split between Bird and Magic, same goes for the 00's. The 00's is actually arguably between three players.

no it's nt...

Kobe was voted by a wide margin ( it wasn't close) as the greatest player of the 00's.

If a player overwhemingly gets voted as the greatest by the majority of the fanbase....and YOU say it's still arguable...then that means no matter what ( any decade) it's arguable.

Legends66NBA7
10-02-2012, 06:32 PM
I don't know much of the game pre Bird / Magic (the birth of modern era) but I have read about it, and sounds about right. But wouldn't Oscar be thrown into the 60s, and West / Baylor into the 70s as well? I think there is a few players that can be thrown in the conversation.

I would agree with them as well, but Russell and Wilt really put the NBA on the local map with their rivalry.

Along with winning 8 of the 10 MVP's in the 60's (both 4 each) and leading all-time great teams to titles, I think the choice is easily Bill and Wilt for the 60's, while Oscar gets overshadowed. I wouldn't mind him being mentioned though.

West and Baylor would be 60's too (Honorable mentions), as they were on the down side after like 1971.

For the 70s, Dr.J, Rick Barry, Willis Reed, Walt Fraizer, Wes Unseld, Elvin Hayes, John Havlicek (he better seasons in the 70s, than 60s), Dave Cowens, Moses Malone, etc... Lot of great names there too, but Kareem was that much above them, dominating with 5 MVP's (most in one decade).

Money 23
10-02-2012, 06:40 PM
Kobe was voted by a wide margin ( it wasn't close) as the greatest player of the 00's.
PLEASE ...

Lots of dumb casual fans vote on those type of things. And we all know the sizable Laker fan community in Cali, chalk full of soccer playing, grass mowing, low ryder driving basketball fans (if you get my drift) who would obviously be as biased as China voting in Yao Ming, or Jeremy Lin into this year's all-star game.

Obviously Kobe is among the best of the decade, but among knowledgable people, it isn't that cut and dry in his favor. But for Shaq and Duncan to be left out of the conversation shows your ridiculous fan boy bias, and bias logic.

No one in this decade dominated the way Shaq did in the early 2000's. Duncan was amazing, and very consistent ... carrying his franchise for virtually the entire decade (Kobe can't even make that claim) cause Kobe didn't become lead dog on the Lakers until 2005, and the decade ends after the 2009 season.

Shaq dominated from 2000 - 2005 / 2006 ish

5 title runs, 3 rings, 1 MVP

Duncan dominated from 2000 - 2008
3 title runs, 3 rings, 1 MVP

Kobe dominated from 2001 - 2009
5 title runs, 4 rings, 1 MVP

It's not like he dominated enough to be named the CLEAR cut individual talent of the decade, along with resume / team success.

Only one singular athlete of a decade did that ... and that was MJ.

6 title runs, 6 rings, 4x MVPs

And he sat out two seasons of his prime / peak

You're talking gaga once again, with your Laker dildo planted firmly in cheek. Shame on you as a basketball head for leaving both Shaq and Duncan out the equation.

daily
10-02-2012, 06:51 PM
I think you have to separate a basketball generation from the real life generation. yep. A real life generation is based on people living a certain length of time usually in excess of 60 years. In a sport like the NBA where the average career is 5 to 7 years a NBA generation will be much much shorter than in real life.

upside24
10-02-2012, 06:59 PM
It his team. He is the leader although no longer the best on the team. He is still the alpha. I do hope he reduces his part on the team to get some balance. I want Kobe to lead me, not Dwight.

Legends66NBA7
10-02-2012, 07:02 PM

Just a correction, Duncan had 2 MVP's... Only player to win back to back MVP's from 2000-2009.

BlackVVaves
10-02-2012, 07:18 PM

Yea, 25-30 years is typically the measuring stick in sociology. For NBA purposes, it's usually considered a smaller scale. I'd say, for instance, that the generation that Lebron is considered in begins with Amare's draft class, and ends with Bogut's draft class.

It's truly all subjective, but it makes sense when you sit and look at it. When we look at Durant's "generation," we automatically think of players like D-Rose, Aldridge, Bargnani, Westbrook, John Wall, Blake Griffin. And, just like Lebron's generation class, those players all fall within a 3-4 year window where they were drafted.

Idk, that's my perception at least.

daily
10-02-2012, 07:22 PM
Yea, 25-30 years is typically the measuring stick in sociology. For NBA purposes, it's usually considered a smaller scale. I'd say, for instance, that the generation that Lebron is considered in begins with Amare's draft class, and ends with Bogut's draft class.

It's truly all subjective, but it makes sense when you sit and look at it. When we look at Durant's "generation," we automatically think of players like D-Rose, Aldridge, Bargnani, Westbrook, John Wall, Blake Griffin. And, just like Lebron's generation class, those players all fall within a 3-4 year window where they were drafted.

Idk, that's my perception at least.Good perception

BlackVVaves
10-02-2012, 07:22 PM
Just a correction, Duncan had 2 MVP's... Only player to win back to back MVP's from 2000-2009.

In your opinion, does that extra MVP that Duncan carries above Kobe warrant him being regarded as having the better individual career? The same question for the extra FMVP he has over Kobe.

Also, in your mind, who do you think had the better career and will be/ is ultimately acclaimed higher on your All-Time list: Shaq or Duncan?

KG215
10-02-2012, 07:27 PM

Idk, that's my perception at least.

And even then, you've got guys from the 2001-2005ish draft classes whose peak and prime overlaps a good deal with players from the 2006-2010ish draft classes. When I think of generations, I don't really think of LeBron and Kobe being in the same generation although Kobe's best years were arguably from 2008-2010 when LeBron was in his prime and maybe even peaking depending on how the next 3-4 years play out.

There's some overlap between guys like Kobe, Duncan, Shaq, KG, and Dirk and LeBron, Wade, Howard, Durant, and CP3. It's hard to distinguish between distinct definable generations. In that regard, I've always sort of been under the perception that an NBA generation is a decade, more-or-less. But I don't know if you can simplify it down to just specific decades like 50s, 60s, 70s etc. Was Jordan part of the Bird/Magic generation or was he part of the 90s generation? Isn't there some overlap there, too? Same with Shaq and the 90s/00s.

I think NBA/sports generations are highly subjective and there's not one correct answer as to what separates one generation from the next.

Jacks3
10-02-2012, 07:38 PM
[QUOTE]

AlphaWolf24
10-02-2012, 07:42 PM
PLEASE ...

Lots of dumb casual fans vote on those type of things. And we all know the sizable Laker fan community in Cali, chalk full of soccer playing, grass mowing, low ryder driving basketball fans (if you get my drift) who would obviously be as biased as China voting in Yao Ming, or Jeremy Lin into this year's all-star game.

Obviously Kobe is among the best of the decade, but among knowledgable people, it isn't that cut and dry in his favor. But for Shaq and Duncan to be left out of the conversation shows your ridiculous fan boy bias, and bias logic.

No one in this decade dominated the way Shaq did in the early 2000's. Duncan was amazing, and very consistent ... carrying his franchise for virtually the entire decade (Kobe can't even make that claim) cause Kobe didn't become lead dog on the Lakers until 2005, and the decade ends after the 2009 season.

It's not like he dominated enough to be named the CLEAR cut individual talent of the decade, along with resume / team success.

You're talking gaga once again, with your Laker dildo planted firmly in cheek. Shame on you as a basketball head for leaving both Shaq and Duncan out the equation.

- here we go again....:rolleyes:

- Casual fans make up the majority of the fan base....us "hardcore fans" who use "lead dog":roll: criteria's and advanced math to figure out Kobe shot 52% TS compared to 54% doesn't mean anything.

example: 1% of the fanbase ( us "smart hardycorey fans baseketball elitits) say Kobe isn't the best player of the decade...but 99% of the rest of world thinks he is...

that doesn't mean he isn't...in fact the NBA itself uses acclamation as judging thier players...by acclamation __________ players get judged ( majority opinion)

- By 2001 Kobe dominated at the same level as Shaq did....especially considering Kobe's role...( facilitate early and Dominate the 4th quarters and crunchtime)..but why do we have to regergitate all this stupid criteria that hardly anyone uses????

- Do people discredit Larry Bird for not winning Finals MVP?....do they suggest Cedric Maxwell was the lead Dog because he won Finals MVP instead?...what about Magic?...was Worthy the lead dog when he won Finals MVP?...Kareem?

- Casual fans don't discredit Michael Jordan when his team nearly won a title without him....his "lead dog":rolleyes: staus replaced by a CBA player...and still the Bull's dominated...in fact outta the 15 seasons as "Lead Dog"..MJ had 5 losing seasons and was swept in the first round 3 times as "Lead dog"...so many ways to spin the stupid criteria.

- Kobe Dominated the early 2000's with Epic Playoff runs and winning 3 Titles....in the middle of the decade he was clearly the best overall player and put scoring runs up not seen since Wilt Chamberlain..

- Kobe Dominated the end of the Decade goindg to 3 straight NBA Finals...and putting up Epic Playoff/championship Runs just as he did with Shaq...in fact he never quit to play Baseball for a year....he never retired...he dominated more then any player of his generation...

- by acclamation clearly the answer was Kobe.

Legends66NBA7
10-02-2012, 07:46 PM
In your opinion, does that extra MVP that Duncan carries above Kobe warrant him being regarded as having the better individual career? The same question for the extra FMVP he has over Kobe.

Well I definitely think those two awards are the highest valued individual awards. Taking into account that Tim Duncan won back to back MVP's definitely shows that he was playing at a high level for his team and great consistency. Also, won the most MVP's in one decades, which is again notable.

Individually, one should consider that very highly. I also consider something else: playoff matchups. While Duncan and Kobe rarely faced off against each other, Kobe has outplayed him in more playoff series. Again, that should noted.

Now, does that make Kobe better than Duncan when he outplayed him in those certain playoff series ? Depends on the context used for those years.

Also, in your mind, who do you think had the better career and will be/ is ultimately acclaimed higher on your All-Time list: Shaq or Duncan?

Very tough question, but I'll say Shaq. IMO, his peak of 00-02... I think that would probably the greatest players we've ever seen, maybe even over 90-93 Jordan. And even though Duncan was amazing as well and even played well against Shaq, I think the 3 peat, better longevity, and peak play puts Shaq over Duncan, even with Duncan's great defensive accolades and outstanding winning consistency.

Playoff matchups, Duncan has the edge to me there.

Duncan, legacy wise, should be considered better because he was the best player for all 4 titles he brought to a small market team in San Antonio. And when you bring that first title to a team that never had any, that just means much more to me for a legacy. I think what hurts Shaq, legacy wise, is that after 2006, he really started moving around teams and was injury prone.

So all-time wise, I go with Shaq, but ultimately I do think Duncan more than has a case over him... plus, who knows what another title would mean, IF he plays at a high level.

I think both have a case over Magic and Bird too.

NuggetsFan
10-02-2012, 07:50 PM
I think you bring up a good point. Maybe Dwight is finally learning that he does need to go through the process, and learn more before taking the lead position.

I dont know where exactly he felt he was going to go and be "the man" anyway.

Is this a joke? Dwight has to go through the process and learn more before coming into the "lead position"? Dude took a team to the finals already. Came close to winning MVP's. Played big in the playoffs. Entire f*cking league has to go through the "process" I guess, as well as aton of retired vets.

Dwight is the best player on the team. Kobe fans just need to deal with it. L.A fans who are Laker fans FIRST probably know that. Who will be the leader, I have no idea. Whoever the media shoves down our throat, we don't see behind closed doors. Guy's like Fisher are probably as much of a leader as any All-Star in the entire league.

That's not to say Kobe isn't important or won't get his and still shine big. He's Kobe Bryant. L.A can be his team all he wants because really what the f*ck does that mean? This isn't tennis, it's the NBA. 12 man rosters, 5 starters. It's a team game, a Dwight Howard is the best individual on that team. Which in the grand scheme of things should mean very little to L.A fans if you win a championship...

TheeBeast
10-02-2012, 07:54 PM
17 years, one of the longest lasting commitments any player has made to an NBA team. 5 championships, 7 finals. This is Kobe's team until he retires

LakersReign
10-02-2012, 08:16 PM
PLEASE ...

Why is it such a hard concept for you people to grasp that not ALL Laker fans live in LA? This is the second post of yours I've read that has that ludicrous idea in it. On what planet? So...according to your logic then, ALL Spurs fans MUST live in San Antonio....ALL Knicks fans MUST live in New York...etc? You love to call Laker fans dumb and all that, while posting ret**ded sh*t like that? Nice:facepalm

Fudge
10-02-2012, 08:42 PM
is it really that hard to believe?

dwights more valuable position wise. but better? no

more efficient? yes

more tallented? more determined? a better leader? more clutch? no, no, no and no

he couldnt handle being a leader just like pau... they go to kobe and win

kobe averages the near 30ppg lines... wins the finals mvps... and is the more popular more worshipped more loved more hated player for it... its natural to be jealous and predict kobes downfall every year before it happens. its just part of being a sap

and most people are saps. not many can handle the truth.

kobe is jack nickolson..

yall are a bunch of tom cruise's

YOU WANT ANSWERS?

http://i200.photobucket.com/albums/aa280/cashforcards/vfewbv.jpg

YOU WANT THE TRUTH?!

http://i200.photobucket.com/albums/aa280/cashforcards/KobeBryant5rings.jpg

YOU CANT HANDLE THE TRUTH!!!!!!!!

http://i200.photobucket.com/albums/aa280/cashforcards/28911710.jpg
http://i200.photobucket.com/albums/aa280/cashforcards/07-bryant.jpg
http://i200.photobucket.com/albums/aa280/cashforcards/fff.jpg
You're corny as hell. :oldlol: :facepalm

KG215
10-02-2012, 09:01 PM
You're corny as hell. :oldlol: :facepalm

Not so much corny as he's a biased awful trolling poster who just needs to go away.

G-Funk
10-02-2012, 09:15 PM
He's right. It's HIS team to lead to a championship or HIS team to set up for failure. Plus its Kobe we're talking about, guy's as confident as it gets but Kobe will know what's needed come playoff time.

SCdac
01-20-2013, 05:01 PM
He's right. It's HIS team to lead to a championship or HIS team to set up for failure. Plus its Kobe we're talking about, guy's as confident as it gets but Kobe will know what's needed come playoff time.

Pretty much.

"Kobe's team" losing to the Raptors that he once dropped 81 on. Kinda surprised tbh.

ispin69
01-20-2013, 05:04 PM
I agree, if they win he gets to take most of the credit.
If they lose, he should take most of the credit too.

knickscity
01-20-2013, 05:07 PM
I agree, if they win he gets to take most of the credit.
If they lose, he should take most of the credit too.
he wants to be the man, then take the blame.

SCdac
04-28-2013, 10:03 PM
Kobe's team thoroughly sucked this season... WITH or WITH OUT him :roll:

http://www.ngngsports.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/02/kobe-bryant-dwight-howard1.jpg

chosen_wun
04-28-2013, 10:05 PM
:oldlol: :oldlol: :oldlol:

The-Legend-24
04-28-2013, 10:06 PM
:oldlol: :oldlol:

PickernRoller
04-28-2013, 10:09 PM

He's retired - to his many alts. :roll: :roll:

Anyway why you all bumping these threads?

TheBigVeto
04-28-2013, 10:24 PM
Kobe's wrong. It's David Stern's team.

ripthekik
04-29-2013, 12:10 AM
:roll: :roll: :roll:
damn, now that I think about it.. some of these april 2013 accounts do sound like him. Yo RRR3 come out of your shell :roll: :roll:

WeGetRing2012
04-29-2013, 12:28 AM
Hated this comment from Kobe. Very Unnecessary...

dh144498
04-29-2013, 02:16 AM
He's retired - to his many alts. :roll: :roll:

Anyway why you all bumping these threads?

:roll: