PDA

View Full Version : I think the Lakers were a tougher matchup with Bynum

JohnnySic
10-04-2012, 08:45 AM
In a somewhat ironic twist, I think that teams are going to find that its easier to match up with the Lakers now that they no longer have 2 7'+ twin towers in Bynum and Gasol.

Even though Howard is a slightly better player than Bynum, he isn't quite big enough for "tower" status.

Thoughts?

HylianNightmare
10-04-2012, 08:49 AM
howard play's like a legit 7 footer and will certainly make teams work just as hard on the offensive end to stop him and even harder on the defensive end as he will be swatting shots at a higher clip than drew

All Net
10-04-2012, 08:50 AM
Slightly better? Dwight is better in every area but post moves... Dwight is dominating force on both sides of the ball.

Nash alone will make life so much easier for pau and Dwight. So no teams are going to have a lot of trouble guarding this team.

niko
10-04-2012, 08:51 AM
If your premise is that Dwight is shorter, it's kind of silly because with his athleticism he takes up a huge amount of space more than Bynum. If I told you i'd give you $1MM and you had to run by either Howard or Bynum to get it, who would want to face? Bynum is immobile compared to Howard. He's a much better defender, shot blocker and rebounder than Bynum too.

mariodeathgrip
10-04-2012, 09:00 AM
:cheers:

swag2011
10-04-2012, 09:27 AM
Funny how when the lakers looked horrible last season and were getting beat in the playoffs, everyone was saying how lakers were done and needed to get dwight. Now that they have d12, ppl think bynum was a better fit

daily
10-04-2012, 10:24 AM
Remember at the slam dunk contest when Howard stuck that sticker way up hi on the glass? Bynum would need a ladder to do that

G-Funk
10-04-2012, 10:29 AM
llullz

kuniva_dAMiGhTy
10-04-2012, 10:33 AM
Dwight Howard will be a better fit. He lets Pau be Pau (his main focus being on the defensive end and boards).

Funny how when the lakers looked horrible last season and were getting beat in the playoffs, everyone was saying how lakers were done and needed to get dwight. Now that they have d12, ppl think bynum was a better fit

So "everyone" is the OP?

Bigsmoke
10-04-2012, 10:35 AM
In a somewhat ironic twist, I think that teams are going to find that its easier to match up with the Lakers now that they no longer have 2 7'+ twin towers in Bynum and Gasol.

Even though Howard is a slightly better player than Bynum, he isn't quite big enough for "tower" status.

Thoughts?

Nash arguably the best pick and roll PG

Dwight IS the best Pick and roll center

that alone is proof that Nash and Dwight would click A LOT faster and more effectively than Nash and Bynum

The Lakers need at much athleticism that they can get at this point.

not to mention that Dwight is just flat out better.

Lakers finished almost dead last in pick in roll plays last year.

Mr. Jabbar
10-04-2012, 10:41 AM
:facepalm

Mr Exlax
10-04-2012, 12:35 PM
Everybody's entitled to their own opinon.......no matter how dumb it is.

:biggums:

Kurosawa0
10-04-2012, 12:41 PM
I actually agree against a team like the Thunder in terms of the one on one match up. Perkins guards Dwight very well and seemed to struggle a bit with Bynum. Plus they could conceivably get away with Ibaka on Howard for a few minutes.

The difference really is going to be Nash though. The Lakers didn't have a great playmaker for the bigs over the last few years. That should be huge.

crisoner
10-04-2012, 12:51 PM
Howard is going to help HUGE on defense.
Bynum took nights I mean weeks off at time.

But hey we will see soon right.

SpecialQue
10-04-2012, 01:17 PM
Even if Bynum is a better player, which he isn't, I'd much rather have someone on the Lakers who shows up every single game and doesn't do retarded shit like chucking threes and storming off the court pouting.

Bynum had some great games last season, but he only sporadically brought his effort, was immature as hell, and some of his tantrums got him benched and therefore away from the court, where he was needed.

All Net
10-04-2012, 01:23 PM
I actually agree against a team like the Thunder in terms of the one on one match up. Perkins guards Dwight very well and seemed to struggle a bit with Bynum. Plus they could conceivably get away with Ibaka on Howard for a few minutes.

The difference really is going to be Nash though. The Lakers didn't have a great playmaker for the bigs over the last few years. That should be huge.

To be honest Perkins being able to guard Dwight is one of the biggest myths in the NBA. He got that rep for one playoff series I believe but Dwight doesn't have his way with him any less than he does everybody else. He still has shot 56-60% whenever perk guarded him over the years and Nash is only going to make Dwight's life even easier.

rwfletch22
10-04-2012, 01:26 PM
:kobe: :kobe:

ashlar
10-04-2012, 01:33 PM

Bynum struggled against OKC last year.

ZeN
10-04-2012, 01:37 PM
Slightly better? Dwight is better in every area but post moves... Dwight is dominating force on both sides of the ball.

Nash alone will make life so much easier for pau and Dwight. So no teams are going to have a lot of trouble guarding this team.
Absolutely QFT.

Plus, Bynum lack of mobility was a detriment to the team. Pau will be able to do so much more with a center than can actually move quickly and doesnt just camp in the middle.

eliteballer
10-04-2012, 01:41 PM
Yea, he's way too small:rolleyes:

http://l2.yimg.com/bt/api/res/1.2/xmEWG.lhF_aPEF8e5z.jjg--/YXBwaWQ9eW5ld3M7Zmk9aW5zZXQ7aD05Njg7cT04NTtzbT0xO3 c9NjMw/http://l.yimg.com/os/289/2012/10/02/Howard-Gasol-TimeWarnerCable100112-jpg_200839.jpg

Styles p
10-04-2012, 01:51 PM
Remember at the slam dunk contest when Howard stuck that sticker way up hi on the glass? Bynum would need a ladder to do that

hurr durr dwight can jump higher hes the better player hurr durr

upside24
10-04-2012, 01:53 PM
:lol

dunksby
10-04-2012, 01:53 PM
Bynum is really a tough matchup for anyone, you never know when he is pulling up for a three.

All Net
10-04-2012, 01:54 PM
Yea, he's way too small:rolleyes:

http://l2.yimg.com/bt/api/res/1.2/xmEWG.lhF_aPEF8e5z.jjg--/YXBwaWQ9eW5ld3M7Zmk9aW5zZXQ7aD05Njg7cT04NTtzbT0xO3 c9NjMw/http://l.yimg.com/os/289/2012/10/02/Howard-Gasol-TimeWarnerCable100112-jpg_200839.jpg

And Dwight is not standing up straight like pau is either...

BlackVVaves
10-04-2012, 02:38 PM

Love when people take a firm grasp on this half-empty notion.

I'll take you to task. Kurosawa0, what is Perkin's greatest weakness outside of offensive interior skill?

Also, a side-bar question to OP: In reference to your assessment of the height discrepancy between Bynum and Dwight, did you know that despite Bynum's 3 inch advantage on Dwight, Dwight has a higher reach than Bynum? In other words, when both players raise their arms to maximum length, Dwight is the taller player. This is also not considering Dwight's substantially higher vertical leap.

Essentially, Bynum is the taller player in pure measurement, but Dwight is the taller player when put into play. A player's standing reach is more important than a player's mere height, which I'm sure you know.

LakersReign
10-04-2012, 02:43 PM

Thoughts?

Howard has more consistentcy on both ends than Drew. Drew would beast on D, and then miss several easy layups in row. Added to that Howard has more experience passing out of double teams than Drew as well. Who knows, we may be seeing Shaq/Kobe Part 2

TaLvsCuaL
10-04-2012, 02:49 PM
And Dwight is not standing up straight like pau is either...

To be fair Howard is too somewhat closer to the camera, so the photos are always a bad option to measure height.

What is certain is that some act as if Dwight was a dwarf, and He is currently more than tall enough to be center.

funnystuff
10-04-2012, 03:05 PM
Even if Bynum is a better player, which he isn't, I'd much rather have someone on the Lakers who shows up every single game and doesn't do retarded shit like chucking threes and storming off the court pouting.

Bynum had some great games last season, but he only sporadically brought his effort, was immature as hell, and some of his tantrums got him benched and therefore away from the court, where he was needed.
And this is better right?
http://abasketballjones.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/07/Dwight-Howard-Miracle-Jersey-Girl.png

red1
10-04-2012, 03:15 PM
Lakers are an infinitely tougher matchup with dwight. They lost one of their main weaknesses, point guards abusing their defender and then getting to the rim for a layup - dwight singlehandedly erases this. Pau and dwight are a MUCH better fit than pau+drew, I expect pau to have a great season now that dwight makes his life much easier on defense. Dwight + nash are a perfect fit, nash is gonna shine now that he can just toss lobs to dwight all day. And the single most important thing - dwight is durable and bynum is fragile.

JohnnySic
10-04-2012, 04:00 PM
Also, a side-bar question to OP: In reference to your assessment of the height discrepancy between Bynum and Dwight, did you know that despite Bynum's 3 inch advantage on Dwight, Dwight has a higher reach than Bynum? In other words, when both players raise their arms to maximum length, Dwight is the taller player. This is also not considering Dwight's substantially higher vertical leap.

Essentially, Bynum is the taller player in pure measurement, but Dwight is the taller player when put into play. A player's standing reach is more important than a player's mere height, which I'm sure you know.
This is false; Bynum's standing reach is 9'4" and Howard's is 9'3.5".

Anyway, I wasn't just talking about height/reach, I meant sheer size/mass. Bynum takes up more space than any player since Shaq, completely closes down the lane. Howard doesn't do that. I've seen enough of DH to know, as an eastern conference fan.

Before, teams were at a real disadvantage against the Lakers' size. Now, for example, Dallas could throw out Dirk and Kaman and they match their size. Denver could throw out McGee and Mozgov and they match their size. And so on and so forth.

Money 23
10-04-2012, 04:32 PM
Before, teams were at a real disadvantage against the Lakers' size. Now, for example, Dallas could throw out Dirk and Kaman and they match their size. Denver could throw out McGee and Mozgov and they match their size. And so on and so forth.
Lakers size advantage w/ Bynum was quickly overrated. As he was entirely overrated as a player as well.

Their size didn't give any teams fits, they lost two opening round playoff series, two years in a row with that "advantage"

Bottom line is Bynum playing alongside Gasol meant their games clashed. Both were low block players, and at times actually congested the lane for their own team on offense.

Bynum on defense provided great rebounding advantage, but given how slow he was and how minute his physical leap is ... teams could take advantage of that by bringing him out more.

Howard is a couple inches shorter, has almost the same wingspan, is a more durable player, faster, quicker, and light years more athletic. D12 will be a vast improvement for the Lakers over Bynum.

jjayfive
10-04-2012, 05:19 PM
lakers gave up too many lay ups last year with bynum as their center.... I don't care how much bigger bynum is, dwight guards the rim better with a smaller frame...

Smoke117
10-04-2012, 05:23 PM
Is this a serious post? Dwight Howard is BY FAR, BY FAR the best defensive force in the league, but they were tougher match up with Bynum who wasn't half the defensive player Howard is? What kind of ****ing stupid nonsense is this? Howard is a tower, Bynum is big and slow, Howard is the most athletic GOOD center since David Robinson. He's been a legit power and speed center his entire career. Why do you think he averages so many fta's per shot? Because he's so fast and strong that teams are just forced to foul him. This thread is a god damn joke.

chips93
10-04-2012, 05:46 PM
bynum got abused when put in the pick and roll, or in pindowns against okc last year. that wont be a problem for dwight. dwights mobility is a huge gain for the laker defense.

BuffaloBill
10-04-2012, 05:47 PM
Not to mention the addition of Steve nash and multiple other key players. Tougher is the one thing they will be.

BlackVVaves
10-04-2012, 06:06 PM
This is false; Bynum's standing reach is 9'4" and Howard's is 9'3.5".

Anyway, I wasn't just talking about height/reach, I meant sheer size/mass. Bynum takes up more space than any player since Shaq, completely closes down the lane. Howard doesn't do that. I've seen enough of DH to know, as an eastern conference fan.

If I'm not mistaken, those are Dwight and Bynum's measurements as they were entering the league. I've read throughout the last year that Dwight's reach has "out-lengthed" Bynum's since; when I get home tonight and do some browsing and see if I find a reputable source stating that.

This disadvantage you speak of was virtually non-existent when the most important time of the year arose the last two years. Teams that are athletic would run up and down the court consistently at Bynum's dismay, and would exploit he and the Lakers greatest weakness on defense: pick and roll coverage.

Now in place of him you have the best defender in the league, the best pick and roll defending big man in the league, and the best pick and roll big offensively in the league. The Lakers needed to become more athletically capable both offensively and defensively - they answered their woes with Dwight.

eliteballer
10-04-2012, 06:12 PM
OP is the same guy who's said the Celtics were legit contenders for the last 2 years but that these lakers only have a 1 year window....

JohnnySic
10-04-2012, 06:29 PM
OP is the same guy who's said the Celtics were legit contenders for the last 2 years but that these lakers only have a 1 year window....
Fact and fact. :pimp:

Kurosawa0
10-04-2012, 06:54 PM
To be honest Perkins being able to guard Dwight is one of the biggest myths in the NBA. He got that rep for one playoff series I believe but Dwight doesn't have his way with him any less than he does everybody else. He still has shot 56-60% whenever perk guarded him over the years and Nash is only going to make Dwight's life even easier.

The reason Perk is considered a good defender for Dwight is because you don't have to help. Dwight's going to get his numbers, but if you have Kendrick Perkins then you'll live with one on one coverage. There's a reason Boston gave Orlando so many fits over the years.

BlackVVaves
10-04-2012, 07:39 PM
The reason Perk is considered a good defender for Dwight is because you don't have to help. Dwight's going to get his numbers, but if you have Kendrick Perkins then you'll live with one on one coverage. There's a reason Boston gave Orlando so many fits over the years.

You didn't answer my question bro :cheers:

Perkins' greatest weakness outside of offensive ineptitude?

SyRyanYang
10-04-2012, 07:43 PM
To be fair Bynum struggles more against Perkins if anything.

fsvr54
10-04-2012, 07:50 PM
Only Zaza Pachulia and Jason Collins can guard Dwight.

longtime lurker
10-04-2012, 10:59 PM
Lol at the Lakers being worse by getting a better player. For all of Bynum's strengths he was never consistent with his defense nor could he keep his head in the game at all times. Dwight by himself can change the whole defensive complexity of a team. I've yet to see someone post proof that Dwight plays horribly against Perkins it's just one of those things on the internet that enough people repeat and it somehow becomes gospel. This is actually worse for OKC because defensively Gasol can be the anchor while Dwight is free to roam around on the defense since Perkins is not an offensive threat at all. Lakers should focus on being the best defensive team in the league, the offense will work itself out.

dynasty1978
10-05-2012, 10:48 AM
A lot of wishful thinking going on in this thread.

By mid-season, these same naysayers will be singing a different tune: "Of course, the Lakers are better, they added a DPOY and top 3 player in the game."

Just wait.

Nick Young
12-10-2012, 05:58 AM
I think everyone completely agrees with you and if Bynum recovers from this latest injury and stopss getting hurt all the time, yes it's a bad trade for LA.

No one is scared of Howard, he has 2 post moves and gives up really easy. Bynum didn't give a shit and was aggressive and got his shot off even against double teams, because he refused to pass.