PDA

View Full Version : So Kobe says he'll retire in two years when his contract is up...

EricForman
10-08-2012, 06:45 PM
http://www.isportstimes.com/articles/3666/20121008/los-angeles-lakers-rumors-kobe-bryant-retire.htm

Speaking with CBSSports.com in a quiet moment after practice, Bryant conceded that, in all likelihood, the finish line and the conclusion of his current contract will be one in the same. Bryant has two years left, and though he was careful to point out, "One can never be too sure," he made it clear in the next breath it's almost unfathomable he would play beyond 2013-14, which would be his 18th season.

"It's just that three more years seems like a really long time to continue to stay at a high, high level of training and preparation and health," Bryant said. "That's a lot of years. For a guard? That's a lot of years."

9erempiree
10-08-2012, 06:46 PM
He will be Co-GOAT player with Jordan.

SyRyanYang
10-08-2012, 06:51 PM
Retire with Nash together so the lakers can rebuild around Howard.

Papaya Petee
10-08-2012, 06:53 PM
So 3 more years until Kobe fanatics go through a wave of suicides. This will br interesting.

DuMa
10-08-2012, 06:54 PM
in other words, he wants to dominate euroleague

All Net
10-08-2012, 06:58 PM
Retire with Nash together so the lakers can rebuild around Howard.

Which is why Getting Dwight is huge...get a chance to build around a superstar and by that time having alot of cap space to add pieces around him.

job well done by Mitch.

Droid101
10-08-2012, 07:01 PM
So 3 more years until Kobe fanatics go through a wave of suicides. This will br interesting.
Weird how all the Jordan fanatics lived through it three times, amirite?

Levity
http://basketball.realgm.com/src_freeagents/2015/

a list of 2015 free agents. Lakers basketball is going to be so different in a couple of seasons.

Myth
I'm hoping Dwight sees this as reason to bolt after the year is up.

The Mamba
10-08-2012, 07:02 PM
in other words, he wants to dominate euroleague
Ancient 35 or 36 year old Kobe in Euroleague?

Domination, pure and simple.

I know it's a stretch, and highly doubt it would happen. But I would love to see Kobe be the best player on this new Laker team, see them win a lot of games, and maybe get lucky and see Kobe get another MVP award or two. Him having just one is kind of appalling to me.

Levity
10-08-2012, 07:03 PM

im thinking dwight will see this as more of an incentive to stay long term

Court Vision
10-08-2012, 07:03 PM

To Brooklyn?

BlueandGold
10-08-2012, 07:04 PM
That or everyone moves on just like the league did after Jordan. I certainly wonder what all of these Kobe/"Laker" fans will once it happens.

Remember how everyone felt in 98 when people were certain Jordan (at least Jordan as we know him) was retiring for good?

I remember when some people were saying the NBA would go bankrupt post-Jordan :facepalm

Myth
10-08-2012, 07:05 PM
im thinking dwight will see this as more of an incentive to stay long term

How so? Seeing Kobe and Nash retire, plus Gasol age, doesn't bode well for Howard. It all depends on how well the Lakers can sell the idea of replacing them with more youthful stars.

Umad101
10-08-2012, 07:07 PM
Dudes bluffing he's to obsessed with ball to quit

daily
10-08-2012, 07:08 PM
How so? Seeing Kobe and Nash retire, plus Gasol age, doesn't bode well for Howard. It all depends on how well the Lakers can sell the idea of replacing them with more youthful stars.
I think the Lakers track record for the last 40 years speaks for itself. I doubt they'll need to sell Dwight on too much.

Money 23
10-08-2012, 07:08 PM
That or everyone moves on just like the league did after Jordan. I certainly wonder what all of these Kobe/"Laker" fans will once it happens.

Remember how everyone felt in 98 when people were certain Jordan (at least Jordan as we know him) was retiring for good?

I remember when some people were saying the NBA would go bankrupt post-Jordan :facepalm
League interest dipped off to dramatic lows for quite a few seasons when MJ left.

And Kobe doesn't have near the star power of MJ, so the drop off won't be as bad. Technically the game's best player and most popular (LeBron) is still playing so it won't be near as bad.

There was quite a void when MJ left following the '98 season.

Levity
10-08-2012, 07:09 PM

because with kobe, nash, and gasol all off the books, the lakers will have 50+ million in cap space. add that to the fact that they are indeed the los angeles lakers, they wont have any problem attracting big name free agents to keep them in that championship contending category. So all that plus the fact that dwight can make the most money signing with the lakers aides the idea of him staying long term.

SHAQisGOAT
10-08-2012, 07:10 PM
Damn, still remember a young, with that afro, Kobe, time passes man.

Clippersfan86
10-08-2012, 07:11 PM
Exactly what I expected. 2 more years. Then Lakers Let Gasol go in free agency most likely and Nash retires. Rebuild around Howard time.

Shadynasty's
10-08-2012, 07:11 PM

a list of 2015 free agents. Lakers basketball is going to be so different in a couple of seasons.

Doesn't Kobe's contract come off the books in the summer of 2014? If the 2013-14 season is to be his last.

I believe Chris Paul and Josh Smith will be UFAs in 2014.

talkingconch
10-08-2012, 07:12 PM
inb4 kevin love and cp3 2014

All Net
10-08-2012, 07:13 PM
To Brooklyn?

You need cap space to sign players. Dwight's options are limited with teams with cap space. Pretty sure he re-signs.

Levity
10-08-2012, 07:14 PM
Doesn't Kobe's contract come off the books in the summer of 2014? If the 2013-14 season is to be his last.

I believe Chris Paul and Josh Smith will be UFAs in 2014.

ye, that list is for the summer of 14 going into the 14-15 season. so everyone listed is either a FA or RFA at the start of the season.

All Net
10-08-2012, 07:14 PM
Exactly what I expected. 2 more years. Then Lakers Let Gasol go in free agency most likely and Nash retires. Rebuild around Howard time.

With Dwight in place and plenty of cap space I don't think it would be much to rebuild. Will have a pretty strong team with any luck

guy
10-08-2012, 07:15 PM
If he's healthy, I only see it happening if they win the next two titles. I can't imagine him not going for surpassing or tying Jordan in titles.

SpecialQue
10-08-2012, 07:16 PM

Eric Bledsoe L.A. Clippers Restricted F.A.
Monta Ellis Golden State Unrestricted F.A.
Andre Iguodala Philadelphia Unrestricted F.A.

GET IT DONE, MITCH.

Levity
10-08-2012, 07:17 PM

GET IT DONE, MITCH.

dwight has said he wants to play with monta

:rockon:

jongib369
10-08-2012, 07:20 PM
Kobe's retiring in 2 years possibly... Jesus Christ I feel old....I can't imagine how Jlauber feels

http://swiftor.com/attachments/f86/14340d1343533225t-slyhawk66s-random-daily-stories-13-scared-guy-meme-facebook-chat-code.jpg

I'll actually be kinda sad when he retires...my earliest basketball memories are Jordans "Final" shot against the Jazz...and then afterwards watching the Shaq/Kobe combo...Not sad like a B*itch or anything its just...its just

http://1000awesomethings.files.wordpress.com/2009/01/crying_baby.jpg

Time to get me some Bulls/lakers tickets

All Net
10-08-2012, 07:20 PM
dwight has said he wants to play with monte

:rockon:

Would be a nice inside/outside duo

we have options when Kobe goes thats the biggest key of all.

ihatetimthomas
10-08-2012, 07:21 PM

The Lakers are the one organization that you can trust will make the necessary moves to improve and LA is one of the most glamorous places to play in terms of their history, opportunities, and the commitment to winning. A lot of people are asking what's going to happen when Kobe retires. What will happen is the Lakers org will live on and prosper. There will be times of rebuilding or a few low years but even though Jerry Buss has essentially handed the reigns over to his son, he has shown even this year to be committed to winning.

BGriffin's Dad
so after 2014, these contracts could be gone: Kobe, Gasol, Artest, Blake...

how much cap space is that?

SpecialQue

I believe the exact amount is AN ASSLOAD.

All Net
10-08-2012, 07:24 PM

A lot

Certainly enough to get a good cast around Dwight. Only him and Nash will be the main contracts.

Droid101
10-08-2012, 07:24 PM
I believe the exact amount is AN ASSLOAD.
Guess who becomes unrestricted that same year?

http://www.nba.com/media/act_kevin_love.jpg

SpecialQue
10-08-2012, 07:26 PM

Guess who just started fapping?

All Net
10-08-2012, 07:29 PM

Thought he signed an extension?

BGriffin's Dad
10-08-2012, 07:30 PM
the summer of 2016 (http://basketball.realgm.com/src_freeagents/2017/) will be the interesting one...

LeBron James
Kevin Durant
Dwyane Wade
Chris Bosh
Al Horford
Joe Johnson
Joakim Noah
David Lee

all unrestricted? one of the first 2 will be joining Griffin on the Clippers

guy
10-08-2012, 07:31 PM
Lets also not forget that in recent memory, Shaq, KG, and Duncan have had retirement talks before the end of there last contract, yet they ended up sticking around longer.

Clippersfan86
10-08-2012, 07:33 PM

GET IT DONE, MITCH.

Bledsoe+Dwight+Iggy would be ****ing apeshit defensively. Teams that somehow do manage to get by Bledsoe and Iggy have Dwight waiting at the rim:eek: .

SyRyanYang
10-08-2012, 07:33 PM
Lets also not forget that in recent memory, Shaq, KG, and Duncan have had retirement talks before the end of there last contract, yet they ended up sticking around longer.
Let also not forget those are big men.

All Net
10-08-2012, 07:34 PM
Bledsoe+Dwight+Iggy would be ****ing apeshit defensively. Teams that somehow do manage to get by Bledsoe and Iggy have Dwight waiting at the rim:eek: .

Could see it as a pipedream but having Nash/Dwight is what I called a pipedream heading into this summer too. Who knows.

senelcoolidge
10-08-2012, 07:36 PM
Dudes bluffing he's to obsessed with ball to quit
He's going to be one of those over the hill ex-stars with ice and bandages on his knees on the Bobcats bench playing garbage minutes.

20 years from now..Kobe..who the @@@@ is that? But ISH will still have plenty of MJ and Wilt threads.

All Net
10-08-2012, 07:36 PM
He's going to be one of those over the hill ex-stars with ice and bandages on his knees on the Bobcats bench playing garbage minutes.

20 years from now..Kobe..who the @@@@ is that? But ISH will still have plenty of MJ and Wilt threads.

Nah Kobe will retire as soon as he isn't good enough to be a star.

SpecialQue
10-08-2012, 07:37 PM

Exactly.

By the way, I remember before the lockout there was talk of a Kaman for Iggy trade, and I was pissed that it didn't happen. Blake and DJ and Iggy would have been bonkers.

KeyNote
10-08-2012, 07:55 PM
The best front office in sports will actually have cap space to work with

that is going to be ridiculous

Clippersfan86
10-08-2012, 07:59 PM
Exactly.

By the way, I remember before the lockout there was talk of a Kaman for Iggy trade, and I was pissed that it didn't happen. Blake and DJ and Iggy would have been bonkers.

Philly's new ownership didn't like the deal (old ownership wanted it done)... and hacked it at last second.

ihoopallday
10-08-2012, 08:00 PM
I don't know why but I could see someone like Durant on the Lakers after his contract is up. Unless he wins a championship in OKC.

NoGunzJustSkillz
10-08-2012, 08:02 PM
Let also not forget those are big men.
what's your angle mentioning that?

NoGunzJustSkillz
10-08-2012, 08:03 PM
Nah Kobe will retire as soon as he isn't good enough to be a star.
I don't know man. If and I know it's a loooooong shot, but if the Lakers can remain contenders, I can see Kobe sticking around forever.

KeyNote
10-08-2012, 08:09 PM
We'll know if next season or the season after next is his last

trust me, kobe will announce it before that season and have sort of a fair well tour at every arena that season...standing ovations and such

he wouldn't have it any other way

NoGunzJustSkillz
10-08-2012, 08:11 PM
We'll know if next season or the season after next is his last

trust me, kobe will announce it before that season and have sort of a fair well tour at every arena that season...standing ovations and such

he wouldn't have it any other way
I can see Kobe retiring a couple times.

b1imtf
10-08-2012, 08:19 PM
In before 200mil/10 year contract

Cali Syndicate
10-08-2012, 08:35 PM

I'm sure Lakers will bode just fine. They are one of the franchises which seems to know how to distribute the money they are allowed to spend.

DixieNourmous
10-08-2012, 08:46 PM
Which is why Getting Dwight is huge...get a chance to build around a superstar and by that time having alot of cap space to add pieces around him.

job well done by Mitch.

The way Mitch does things, they will probably have durant, westbrook, lebron,
rose, and whoever else he can swindle from the grip of other teams. :lol

lakerspng
10-08-2012, 09:12 PM
Kobe wants to dominate. He's never going to be the player that wants to do just enough to hang around, it would kick his pride way too much and he is one prideful dude. If he can't do it the way he wants, he'll leave.

at that point... In the Lakers front office we trust. They will find a way to make the team competitive.

Dwight is a heck of a piece to build around.

I will be bummed when Kobe retires. I enjoy watching him play, have for 15 straight years. But the Lakers are the Lakers. At least with Kobe we got to watch his entire career play out. It was a lot more sad for me when Magic's career was cut short with HIV. The lost years that could have been...

Mr. I'm So Rad
10-08-2012, 09:15 PM
I'll shed \a few tears when the Black Mamba finally decides to hang them up. Hopefully he'll be remembered for his incredible work ethic, pure passion and dedication to the game. Above all else, he lives to enjoy the game of basketball.

swag2011
10-08-2012, 09:19 PM
League interest dipped off to dramatic lows for quite a few seasons when MJ left.

And Kobe doesn't have near the star power of MJ, so the drop off won't be as bad. Technically the game's best player and most popular (LeBron) is still playing so it won't be near as bad.

I get that lebron is the best but in what way shape or form is he more popular than kobe?

longtime lurker
10-08-2012, 09:22 PM
I get that lebron is the best but in what way shape or form is he more popular than kobe?

He's not that guy is retarded.

d.bball.guy
10-08-2012, 09:33 PM
Inb4 Mitch does something close to impossible like getting KD for 3 packs of gum and a diet soda.

TheBigVeto
10-08-2012, 09:39 PM
I can see Kobe retiring a couple times.

He'll retire 4 times just to spite Jordan.

Jordan wore 23, he wore 24
Jordan wore 9 in the Olympics, he wore 10
Jordan retired 3 times, he would want to retire 4 times.

TheBigVeto
10-08-2012, 09:41 PM

No problem.
As long as David Stern's commish, it doesn't matter who retires, the Lakers will get All Star players via (illegal) trades.

Lakers fans don't have to worry at all.

TheBigVeto
10-08-2012, 09:41 PM
He will be Co-GOAT player with Jordan.

http://oi53.tinypic.com/34rtwyh.jpg

oh the horror
10-08-2012, 09:45 PM
No problem.
As long as David Stern's commish, it doesn't matter who retires, the Lakers will get All Star players via (illegal) trades.

right. right.....so when they (DAVID STERN) vetoed the chris paul trade, that was all good though?

NoGunzJustSkillz
10-08-2012, 10:00 PM
No problem.

All good with me. Just as long as you keep crying about it :cheers:

NoGunzJustSkillz
10-08-2012, 10:08 PM
Every team that has any chance of signing Howard is going to have to sell Howard that idea. But I can guarantee you none of them teams are in the position the Lakers are right now. That along with the history the Lakers bring, he'd be a fool to think he has a better shot at multiple championships some place else. And keep in mind, his options are very limited come free agent time.

Clippersfan86
10-08-2012, 10:36 PM
Inb4 Mitch does something close to impossible like getting KD for 3 packs of gum and a diet soda.

Somehow convincing OKC's front office that they got a good deal in the process :roll: :biggums: .

westside_baller
10-08-2012, 10:36 PM
Kobe is going to live a strange, largely isolated lifestyle once he retires, much like Rick Barry and Kareem. Those two had legendary careers but they're widely reviled, even hated, on a personal level.

Kobe was largely a one-man show even as a teen on the lakers, and the emotional space between him and his teammates has grown over the years.

The elder Buss is fond of him, so perhaps he can get a token ownership role or some other symbolic position within the lakers. Otherwise, no one else will have him.

KOBE143
10-08-2012, 10:45 PM
Nooo!! :cry: My Lord pls play until 50 and win 10 more chips.. :cry: :cry: :cry:

d.bball.guy
10-08-2012, 10:47 PM
Somehow convincing OKC's front office that they got a good deal in the process :roll: :biggums: .
Or maybe Blake and CP3 for a gallon of peanut butter :coleman:

oh the horror
10-08-2012, 10:50 PM
Kobe is going to live a strange, largely isolated lifestyle once he retires, much like Rick Barry and Kareem. Those two had legendary careers but they're widely reviled, even hated, on a personal level.

Kobe was largely a one-man show even as a teen on the lakers, and the emotional space between him and his teammates has grown over the years.

The elder Buss is fond of him, so perhaps he can get a token ownership role or some other symbolic position within the lakers. Otherwise, no one else will have him.

I dont know....while Kobe isnt as outgoing as a Magic Johnson, he sure as hell isnt as isolated as Kareem.

I could see Kobe perhaps having a few sponsors here and there, and pursuing some business ventures.

All Net
10-08-2012, 10:50 PM

Well you only have to see the offer we had for Paul until Stern stepped in...

guy
10-08-2012, 11:00 PM
People honestly think he will retire in 2 years if he doesn't have 7 rings and is still healthy? Seriously? If healthy, I'd give it a 1% chance he retires if he's still at 5 rings, and a 20% chance he retires if he's at 6 rings.

BlackVVaves
10-09-2012, 12:03 AM
Nooo!! :cry: My Lord pls play until 50 and win 10 more chips.. :cry: :cry: :cry:

You, my friend, are sad.

longtime lurker
10-09-2012, 12:17 AM
Just hope he hangs around long enough to break that all time scoring record.

Heavincent
10-09-2012, 12:24 AM
He'll retire 4 times just to spite Jordan.

Jordan wore 23, he wore 24
Jordan wore 9 in the Olympics, he wore 10
Jordan retired 3 times, he would want to retire 4 times.

http://img17.imageshack.us/img17/656/tinfoilhatman.jpg

LakersReign
10-09-2012, 01:30 AM

Yeah cuz he has some many other options to try and win a title like going to Miami....right?:rolleyes:

OAN: Going to hate the day when KB says it's a wrap. But as a Laker fan first, they'll be other great Lakers after him. That just how they roll:rockon:

The Iron Fist
10-09-2012, 09:40 AM

You say that like it's wrong to live a private life. Let me ask you this. What type of scandal has Kareem ever been involved in?

AlphaWolf24
10-09-2012, 11:48 AM

- has hardly anything to do with MJ....

the league played a Lockout season...

and only 2 years later Kobe and Shaq were the faces of the NBA....

- recap: MJ retires ( his stans proclaim the NBA will drop off dramatically/no player can be Jordan)...

only 2 years later Kobe is nearly a carbon copy of Jordan....Him and Shaq are winning Titles.....and the NBA is doing great....in fact the Game now is much better then it was in the 90's

JellyBean
10-09-2012, 11:59 AM
After reading a few books on Kobe over the last 2-3 years, I have nothing but respect for Kobe as a player and for someone who set goals and went after them. In one of the books, Kobe talks about how during his first 2 years with the Lakers, how some of the veterans would try to freeze him out during practice and games because he was young. Some of the veterans even had the nerve to say that Kobe was going to wash out. Kobe took those comments to heart and put in work. He also talks about all of the hate that he received by fans and teammates, which fueled Kobe. It is awesome stuff. If these are the last 2 years of the Kobe era, we are going to miss this dude when he is gone.

upside24
10-09-2012, 12:03 PM
NBA won't be the same without him love him or hate him. I'm going to enjoy these twilight years.:cheers:

lilgodfather1
10-09-2012, 02:48 PM
That's too bad tbh. I'm not a huge Kobe fan, but he is a great player. In 2014-2015 the Lakers will just reload with their 40 some odd million in cap space, and go on to win titles with the best SF in NBA history, and the best C in the league.

NoGunzJustSkillz
10-09-2012, 03:08 PM
That's too bad tbh. I'm not a huge Kobe fan, but he is a great player. In 2014-2015 the Lakers will just reload with their 40 some odd million in cap space, and go on to win titles with the best SF in NBA history, and the best C in the league.
wonder who you'll be rooting for in 2015.

KyrieTheFuture
10-09-2012, 04:08 PM
It'll be ****in sad when he leaves the league. I won't know who to hate anymore.