PDA

View Full Version : Myth: perkins is a dwight stopper

Nick Young
10-11-2012, 09:13 PM
The Myth: Kendrick "Scrubkins" Perkins is the Dwight stopper. He shuts down Dwight. He knows how to get inside Dwight's head.

The facts:
Dwight Howard, the man getting supposedly shut down by perkins, averages
16.3ppg
12.6rpg
52% FG
vs Perkins.
http://www.basketball-reference.com/play-index/h2h_finder.cgi?request=1&p1=perkike01&p2=howardw01
Whereas Perkins averages 5ppg when up against Howard and his career averages are 9.8ppg.

THE CONCLUSION
Perkins doesn't stop Dwight, or even slow him down. But on the other end of things, Dwight cuts Perkins PPG in half:eek: :eek: :eek:
http://www.noodle.org/sites/default/files/5-med-school-myths-busted.jpg

talkingconch
10-11-2012, 09:30 PM
This episode is brought to u by

maybeshewill13
10-11-2012, 09:35 PM
OP still mad his precious Lakers went down 4-1 last year :lol Let it go son :sleeping

AirTupac
10-11-2012, 09:35 PM
Scurbrick Scrubkins

Mr. Jabbar
10-11-2012, 09:38 PM
Kenbrick Srubkins

AirTupac
10-11-2012, 09:40 PM
Scrubscrub Scrubrick

maybeshewill13
10-11-2012, 09:40 PM
I do agree though, Perkins needs his fat ass rolled into the ocean.

Mr. Jabbar
10-11-2012, 09:41 PM
:roll:

magnax1
10-11-2012, 09:41 PM
Well 16 ppg on 52% is a lot worse then his 18 ppg on 57% career average, and Perkins wasn't even a starter for a lot of that. I don't think there is a much of a question that Perkins guards Dwight better then anyone else either. Maybe not since the injury, but at least when he was on Boston.

28renyoy
10-11-2012, 09:45 PM
Howard averages 18.3/13.0 60.1 TS% for his career
vs Perkins he averages 16.3/12.6 54.9 TS%

So he's down 2 ppg and his efficiency free falls...SWEET THREAD OP

j3lademaster
10-11-2012, 09:50 PM
Well 16 ppg on 52% is a lot worse then his 18 ppg on 57% career average, and Perkins wasn't even a starter for a lot of that. I don't think there is a much of a question that Perkins guards Dwight better then anyone else either. Maybe not since the injury, but at least when he was on Boston.

This. If there's one thing Perkins is useful for it's guarding players who just wants to bully their opponents in the post and doesn't have many post moves. Perkins doesn't have to "shut Dwight down" (nor am I claiming he can), he just has to body him up for long enough for his help defense to arrive... and OKC has great help D.

Other than this one particular skill, the tipping rebounds away from your teammates, terrible help D, terrible PnR D, nonexistent offensive game that wastes multitudes of under the basket opportunities... yeah Perks is a scrub.

chazzy
10-11-2012, 09:52 PM
It's a good thing the Lakers can expose Perkins by putting him in a Nash/Dwight PNR rather than force feed him on the block

28renyoy
10-11-2012, 09:55 PM
It's a good thing the Lakers can expose Perkins by putting him in a Nash/Dwight PNR rather than force feed him on the block

It's a good thing for the Thunder that Kobe is useless vs the Thunder and the Lakers have absolutely noone to guard Westbrook or Durant

Nash will be guarded by Westbrook, an elite defender
Kobe will be guarded by Sefalosha, who shuts him down
Artest sucks
Gasol will be guarded by Ibaka and Collison who bully him
Dwight will be guarded by the best Dwight defender in the league

:confusedshrug:

chazzy
10-11-2012, 10:00 PM
It's a good thing for the Thunder that Kobe is useless vs the Thunder and the Lakers have absolutely noone to guard Westbrook or Durant

This thread is about Dwight vs Perkins

Mr. Jabbar
10-11-2012, 10:00 PM

Artest sucks

and then you woke up :lol

AirTupac
10-11-2012, 10:01 PM
Sorry, who shutdown Kobe when he dropped 40? :oldlol:

Steve Nash and Howard is a lot better than Howard and Nelson
Artest was great in the playoffs and he's in better shape now.
Gasol > Ibaka and Collison

and no Scrubkin can't do anything to Dwight.

iamgine
10-11-2012, 10:01 PM
In their games since 2008:

Dwight:

14 pts - perkins success
11 pts - perkins success
18 pts - perkins average
24 pts - perkins fail
9 pts - perkins success
5 pts - perkins success
19 pts - perkins average
16 pts - perkins success
28 pts - perkins fail
11 pts - perkins success
33 pts - perkins fail

Not bad at all.

SCdac
10-11-2012, 10:02 PM
:oldlol: 16 ppg

what a beast

chips93
10-11-2012, 10:09 PM

:applause:

the lakers have much better offensive options than dwight postups, they dont need to rely on howard to score from down low.

28renyoy
10-11-2012, 10:09 PM
Big bad Kobe is averaging 23/5/5 on 51 TS% 42 FG% vs Sefalosha :lol

Monta Ellis type numbers :applause:

Legends66NBA7
10-11-2012, 10:10 PM
I think the word "container" should be used, instead of stopper.

CarlosBoozer
10-11-2012, 10:11 PM
He's known as the dwight stopper because he's really the only one in that team WHO could potentially stop dwight. I mean come on, who else could defend dwight on that team? Durant? Ibaka? :oldlol:

PyrrhusX
10-11-2012, 10:19 PM
He's known as the dwight stopper because he's really the only one in that team WHO could potentially stop dwight. I mean come on, who else could defend dwight on that team? Durant? Ibaka? :oldlol:

Thabeet :applause:

Jokes.

Legends66NBA7
10-11-2012, 10:19 PM
Two playoff series:

http://gyazo.com/1f639bd66f81419b673c1e1424b4b9c7.png

http://gyazo.com/e1783687a412d7c47d0f9062811f3812.png

*No Garnett in this series.

http://gyazo.com/470a59696d0d0d578628f636156d942a.png

Also, both series were Perkins pre-injury, but I'm just saying Dwight's had success and has been contained too.

CarlosBoozer
10-11-2012, 10:32 PM
Thabeet :applause:

Jokes.
:lol Who knows maybe he might...nahh :oldlol:

LakersReign
10-11-2012, 10:38 PM
Perkins is nothing more than a big body to slow down Dwight. He's about as much of a "Dwight Stopper" as he was a Bynum Stopper.":rolleyes:

wally_world
10-11-2012, 10:40 PM
Does a better job than 99% of the league

And he does alot of his work 1 on 1, i dont think any other center takes on Dwight 1 on 1

28renyoy
10-11-2012, 11:04 PM
Perkins is nothing more than a big body to slow down Dwight. He's about as much of a "Dwight Stopper" as he was a Bynum Stopper.":rolleyes:

Bynum averaged 16/10 44 FG% vs OKC with Perkins...He shot 56% vs everyone else

G-train
10-11-2012, 11:08 PM
If Perkins can keep Howard to his average without a double team that is extremely valuable. Don't know if he can anymore, just sayin.

LakersReign
10-11-2012, 11:11 PM
Bynum averaged 16/10 44 FG% vs OKC with Perkins...He shot 56% vs everyone else

Keep OVERRATING that dude all you want to. If he's such a supposed "force" as you're trying to make him out to be, where was he in the 2012 Finals, when the Heat don't even have a quality star center?:sleeping

28renyoy
10-11-2012, 11:13 PM
Keep OVERRATING that dude all you want to. If he's such a supposed "force" as you're trying to make him out to be, where was he in the 2012 Finals, when the Heat don't even have a quality star center?:sleeping

Who the hell was he going to guard? Bosh? LeBron?

BlackVVaves
10-11-2012, 11:13 PM
Perkins is one of the worst pick and roll defending bigs in the game, right up there with the slow-footed likes of Bynum and Dexter Pittman.

He has had some success and failures guarding Dwight 1 on 1. But OKC better hope Nash and Dwight all of a sudden lose their skills a la Space Jam or else Perkins is going to be riding the pine early and often like the Spurs and Heat series last year -- for the same reason: PERKINS SUCKS AT PICK AND ROLL DEFENSE.

LakersReign
10-11-2012, 11:17 PM
Who the hell was he going to guard? Bosh? LeBron?

Ok....so let me see if I understand you. Perkins is not only a supposed Bynum Stopper, but he's also a supposed Dwight Stopper who....didn't get any playing time in the Finals....simply cuz he had nobody to guard?:roll:

G-train
10-11-2012, 11:23 PM
Ok....so let me see if I understand you. Perkins is not only a supposed Bynum Stopper, but he's also a supposed Dwight Stopper who....didn't get any playing time in the Finals....simply cuz he had nobody to guard?:roll:

He is good at guarding big centres, of which Miami play none you dolt.

G-train
10-11-2012, 11:34 PM
You make about as much sense as that other fool. So....OKC supposedly had such a great mismatch at the C position with Perkins....nobody on the Heat roster to play him....but didn't use it....because......? Hilarious:lol

you are on some sort of drug you rambling gonkie

LakersReign
10-11-2012, 11:37 PM
you are on some sort of drug you rambling gonkie

Exactly the kind of ret**ded POINTLESS rambling response I expected, which proves my point for me. Thanks for the assist dude:applause:

SyRyanYang
10-11-2012, 11:46 PM
Your avatar suggests your age and your talking gives out you intelligence.

Legends66NBA7
10-11-2012, 11:48 PM

Since when has anime ever suggested anybody's age ? :confusedshrug:

There is anime for different age groups.

ZeN
10-11-2012, 11:49 PM
All of their past meetings are irrelevant even if the future could be similar...

Dwight has never had two elite guards that could P&R with him and had never had two players to help defend like Gasol and Artest.

This wont be Howard with the Magic.. This is Howard with the help of Nash, Bryant, Artest, and Pau.. Defensively there will be a lot more that can be accomplished and executed with this combination of players.

The Lakers' dynamic and chemistry will be different than the one with Orlando... There it was Howard with a bunch of role players and here it will D12 with a bunch of elite players with a similar strong defensive team.

oh the horror
10-11-2012, 11:54 PM
All of their past meetings are irrelevant even if the future could be similar...

Dwight has never had two elite guards that could P&R with him and had never had two players to help defend like Gasol and Artest.

This wont be Howard with the Magic.. This is Howard with the help of Nash, Bryant, Artest, and Pau.. Defensively there will be a lot more that can be accomplished and executed with this combination of players.

The Lakers' dynamic and chemistry will be different than the one with Orlando... There it was Howard with a bunch of role players and here it will D12 with a bunch of elite players with a similar strong defensive team.

Bingo. People are trying to nit pick at anything, but the reality is....the dynamics are entirely different with the team surrounding Dwight right now.

LakersReign
10-11-2012, 11:58 PM

Keep telling yourself all that. An avatar is simply an avatar on a message board, nothing more. So...going by your logic if I had an avy of Albert Einstein, then they'll supposedly mean I'm supposedly a smart adult poster?:facepalm

Oh, and by the way, mature adults know how to form correct sentences. They also should know that drawing lines, trying to connect dots that AREN'T there, is a SURE sign of immaturity. OOPS!!!!:applause:

Haymaker
10-12-2012, 12:03 AM
Whats their one on one stats in the playoffs?

ZeN
10-12-2012, 12:06 AM
Whats their one on one stats in the playoffs?
lol.. you may want to go back a couple pages, and actually read the posts.. a few posters have already made a run down of all the stats.

All Net
10-12-2012, 12:10 AM
He's about as much as a Dwight stopper as ruban Patterson was supposedly a Kobe stopper.

Dwight playing with Nash is going to make dwight's life even easier as well. He could be unstoppable with Nash feeding him.

Look how good Nash has made Gortat

ZeN
10-12-2012, 12:24 AM
He's about as much as a Dwight stopper as ruban Patterson was supposedly a Kobe stopper.

Dwight playing with Nash is going to make dwight's life even easier as well. He could be unstoppable with Nash feeding him.

Look how good Nash has made Gortat
Laker haters are trying to magnify all negative possibilies.. even the most minuscule ones because they need some hope of their demise.. the have to tho, because otherwise thinking of the alternatives is much too fear inspiring.

No one knows how this team will end up as.. but no one wants to admit that their potential is unique and intriguing.

Myth
10-12-2012, 01:15 AM
http://www.noodle.org/sites/default/files/5-med-school-myths-busted.jpg

Come at me bro!

PJR
10-12-2012, 01:20 AM
It has come directly from Dwight's mouth that Perkins gets under his skin defensively. Dwight has struggled to establish consistent deep post position in a half court set, against Perkins. This much cant be denied.

chazzy
10-12-2012, 01:37 AM
Why was there so much hoopla over the Lakers acquiring a player who can be stopped by one man

Myth
10-12-2012, 01:42 AM
It has come directly from Dwight's mouth that Perkins gets under his skin defensively. Dwight has struggled to establish consistent deep post position in a half court set, against Perkins. This much cant be denied.

Combine that with Westbrook flying by Nash (which Dwight will have to pick up the slack/put him in situations to get fouls), and the Thunder could be a tough match up.

Myth
10-12-2012, 01:43 AM
Why was there so much hoopla over the Lakers acquiring a player who can be stopped by one man

Because the guy they traded for him can be stopped by one knee.

DuMa
10-12-2012, 01:51 AM
Perkins going down was the whole reason why Lakers won the title in 2010 and not the Celtics.

chazzy
10-12-2012, 01:53 AM
Perkins going down was the whole reason why Lakers won the title in 2010 and not the Celtics.
uMaD

LakersReign
10-12-2012, 01:56 AM

Riiiiiiiiiiiight. Just keep telling yourselves that. If Perkins was ever all that like you guys keep trying to make him out out be, then Boston would've never traded his a** in the first place. Go actually watch Game 6 and then come back in here and try to say that again, with a straight face:roll:

D.J.
10-12-2012, 02:41 AM
Perkins did a pretty good job on Dwight in the '09 playoffs. During that year's playoffs, I said that Dwight was going to struggle against teams with good defensive big men. He dominated Philly, didn't do as good against Boston(Perkins), dominated Cleveland, and not so hot against the Lakers(Gasol and Bynum). That was also 3 years ago though.

lakerspng
10-12-2012, 03:26 AM

ummm... Sheed was a better player for the Celtics in game 7 in his place than he'd been all series. Perkins going down gave Boston a chance.

Ariza and Bynum being out in 2008 is the only reason Boston has a single championship in the last 20 years, and the Lakers didn't 3-peat.

And all of Perkins great playoff success against Dwight came when he was on the Celtics, with KG playing D right beside him, along with the rest of Boston's veteran crew.... not exactly the same situation as the Thunder. Ibaka is no KG and as a team, they are nowhere close to the defensive squad as Boston. Anytime you're talking about a superstar being held below their averages, it's never one guy that does it, it's always a team effort.

All Net
10-12-2012, 04:36 AM
Combine that with Westbrook flying by Nash (which Dwight will have to pick up the slack/put him in situations to get fouls), and the Thunder could be a tough match up.

Nobody is saying thunder won't be a damn tough matchup. They will be the toughest.westbrook will obviously be a handful but so will Nash for them the way he can run the offense and get guys easy shots and lay ups. Dwight is going to get so many dunks thanks to Nash.

Nick Young
10-12-2012, 04:43 AM
Perkins+KG held Dwight to those percentages. Everytime Dwight plays Thunder Scrubkins, he has shitted on him for 20+

ALSO
Dwight holds K-Scrubkins to 5ppg a game, when he averages 10 a game.

Nick Young
10-12-2012, 04:48 AM
Scrubkins going down was a blessing in disguise. Sheed came in and not only played better D than Scrubkins ever has in his entire life, he also was really good offensively, again, better than Scrubkins ever has been in his entire life.

longtime lurker
10-12-2012, 12:42 PM
Yes Perkins the Dwight stopper stopped him for a whole 2 points less than his average playing with a defense geared to stopping Dwight Howard. Keep in mind Howard had teammates that are limited offensively. Now he's playing with a great pnr point guard, the best scoring guard in the league oh yeah and some guy named Pau Gasol. Someone be sure to bump this when Howard takes a huge steaming shit on Okc

Real Men Wear Green
10-12-2012, 12:59 PM
The Myth: Kendrick "Scrubkins" Perkins is the Dwight stopper. He shuts down Dwight. He knows how to get inside Dwight's head.

The facts:
Dwight Howard, the man getting supposedly shut down by perkins, averages
16.3ppg
12.6rpg
52% FG
vs Perkins.

THE CONCLUSION
Perkins doesn't stop Dwight, or even slow him down. But on the other end of things, Dwight cuts Perkins PPG in half:eek: :eek: :eek:

If you are helping to limit the opposition's best scorer to 16 points you're doing your job. It certainly helped to have the support of KG and the Celtics and if you had brought that up you would have some kind of basis for making this thread. Unfortunately your biggest piece of evidence disproves the point you completely failed to make. No one is saying Perkins can score on Howard, it's not his job to equal Howard's production. He's not the max-money superstar here, Pierce, KG, etc. are the guys that got the points.

Real Men Wear Green
10-12-2012, 01:08 PM
Yes Perkins the Dwight stopper stopped him for a whole 2 points less than his average playing with a defense geared to stopping Dwight Howard. Keep in mind Howard had teammates that are limited offensively. Now he's playing with a great pnr point guard, the best scoring guard in the league oh yeah and some guy named Pau Gasol. Someone be sure to bump this when Howard takes a huge steaming shit on Okc
That's two points under his career scoring average, which is not the same thing as what he was being counted on to score. Most of the games they've faced off Orlando was counting on Howard for a 20-plus point evening. And the Celtics as a whole often left them one-on-one. If Howard has deep post position sure they send help, but tell me what franchise player big with a scoring role in NBA history only saw one defender when he got close to the basket?

The Lakers are obviously more talented than Orlando so result could be different but Perkins was definitely effective vs. Howard in the past.

RoseCity07
10-12-2012, 03:39 PM
The myth is that he can stop talented big men. He does a good job against centers that already suck for the most part. I'm sure he can lock down Anderson Verajao. He isn't going to do shit against a versatile player that has skill.

mjokc
10-12-2012, 05:25 PM
The real myth is that people actually think Perkins is a dwight stopper. Perkins makes it so that OKC can guard dwight without double teaming him. This is huge as it takes away LA's offensive advantage of having him. Nobody actually thinks that Perkins or anybody for that matter is stopping dwight. Goodness, Laker trolls are back out in full effect after the howard trade.

Scoooter
10-12-2012, 05:27 PM
The only legit Dwight stopper (although I would sooner say "handler") plays for the Knicks and wears funny pants.

http://blogimages.thescore.com/tbj/files/2012/09/tyson-chandler-fashion-week-amish-3.jpg

mjokc
10-12-2012, 05:29 PM
The only legit Dwight stopper (although I would sooner say "handler") plays for the Knicks and wears funny pants.

http://blogimages.thescore.com/tbj/files/2012/09/tyson-chandler-fashion-week-amish-3.jpg

Perk guards dwight just as good as Chandler.

longtime lurker
10-12-2012, 07:07 PM
That's two points under his career scoring average, which is not the same thing as what he was being counted on to score. Most of the games they've faced off Orlando was counting on Howard for a 20-plus point evening. And the Celtics as a whole often left them one-on-one. If Howard has deep post position sure they send help, but tell me what franchise player big with a scoring role in NBA history only saw one defender when he got close to the basket?

The Lakers are obviously more talented than Orlando so result could be different but Perkins was definitely effective vs. Howard in the past.

So Perkins holds Dwight to just 2 points below his career average and during the playoffs his career average and he's effective? Not to mention Perkins just happens to have one of the best defensive teams in the NBA behind him. It doesn't matter what Dwight's being counted on to score because everyone else on Orlando sucked but he's not a scorer. Highest PPG he's ever scored in the regular season is 23 and highest PPG in the playoffs is 27 on a 6 based on a 6 game series. Other than that 18 to 20 points is right around his average. Sure he doesn't command a double team but none of his other teammates command that much defensive attention up until now. Not only has Perkins not really been much of a Dwight "stopper" but I don't see how you can apply a different situation to Dwight's situation on the Lakers right now.

Perkins makes it so that OKC can guard dwight without double teaming him. This is huge as it takes away LA's offensive advantage of having him.

Dwight Howard's offensive advantage is not getting double teams on the low block. It's in the pick and roll, which LA has a PG who's bread and butter is the pick and roll and Perkins isn't a good pick and roll defender. Even if they wanna go small ball Howard will just overpower whoever they put on him. Double team him sure, but you have Kobe, Nash and Gasol waiting on the perimeter.

Droid101
10-12-2012, 07:10 PM

Artest sucks

Anyone else smell fear? :oldlol:

mjokc
10-12-2012, 07:32 PM
Anyone else smell fear? :oldlol:

Yep, spell your fear.

Real Men Wear Green
10-12-2012, 07:50 PM
So Perkins holds Dwight to just 2 points below his career average and during the playoffs his career average and he's effective? Games are regularly decided by 2 points, and when you have a team like the Magic where everyone else is going to struggle to score vs. a D like the Celtics had they needed him to get more points, not less. Plus the career average includes a rookie Howard that averaged 12 points. He didn't exceed his current career ppg until his 4th season, 07-08. Similarly, Perkins didn't start playing over half the game until 07-08.
Not to mention Perkins just happens to have one of the best defensive teams in the NBA behind him. Who plays great D in a vacuum? Perkins was an important part of a strong unit. The same could be said of Bowen, Pip, MJ, Rodman, Dumars, Prince, the Wallaces in Detroit.
It doesn't matter what Dwight's being counted on to score because everyone else on Orlando sucked but he's not a scorer. Highest PPG he's ever scored in the regular season is 23 and highest PPG in the playoffs is 27 on a 6 based on a 6 game series. Other than that 18 to 20 points is right around his average.Saying it doesn't matterthat Howard got less points than Olando needed from him for them to win is basically saying that winning doesn't matter. You're not going to hold a highly-talented dunk machine like Howard to 12ppg and 35% shooting. What you can do (and Perk did) is hold him under his normal offensive production. You do that to a team's best player and you're probably going to beat his team.
Sure he doesn't command a double team but none of his other teammates command that much defensive attention up until now. Not only has Perkins not really been much of a Dwight "stopper" but I don't see how you can apply a different situation to Dwight's situation on the Lakers right now.
I specifically stated that with Howard on a better team things may be different going forward.

mjokc
10-12-2012, 08:39 PM
Yep, spell your fear.

Wow, that was so much of a fail, **** this auto correct on my phone. :))