PDA

View Full Version : NBA No Longer Interested In European Expansion

eliteballer
10-16-2012, 09:12 AM
[quote]David Stern has abandoned the concept of expanding the NBA to Europe.

Most of the basketball arenas in Europe are smaller than what the NBA typically feels is acceptable for an NBA team.

I<3NBA
10-16-2012, 10:04 AM
why expand into Europe when they have a better presence in Asia? China and Philippines in particular.

niko
10-16-2012, 10:45 AM
why expand into Europe when they have a better presence in Asia? China and Philippines in particular.

Because Europe is closer. China is too far.

eliteballer
10-16-2012, 10:51 AM

Not for the Western teams., but the answer is simple. As a business would you rather have locations in Paris, London, Madrid etc or Manila and Guangdong(sp?) Not to mention the geographic proximity of the teams IN europe and Asia.

China probably doesnt want the NBA in order to build the CBA.

Sarcastic
10-16-2012, 11:13 AM
Stern probably asked them to build arenas completely on the tax payer's dime, and they said no. So no NBA for you, Europe.

Rekindled
10-16-2012, 11:17 AM
there wont be any expansion to europe or asia.

how the hell are u gonna go play in asia if you have to adjust to a 12 hour timezone difference , also no fan in US would watch a game 7 am in the mourning. lets not be stupid

Sarcastic
10-16-2012, 11:21 AM
Not for the Western teams., but the answer is simple. As a business would you rather have locations in Paris, London, Madrid etc or Manila and Guangdong(sp?) Not to mention the geographic proximity of the teams IN europe and Asia.

The time difference from China to Los Angeles is -15 hours. The time zone from NY to London is -5 hours. That's a huge difference.

pegasus
10-16-2012, 11:33 AM

Because Europe would give them much better competition from the beginning as opposed to waiting for those teams in Asia to develop via NBA drafts (one expansion draft wouldn't cut it). Stern may not like the competition, though.

bagelred
10-16-2012, 11:37 AM

How the f-ck could you put the NBA in China? How are the going to travel there?

Even Europe is too far away....I can't realistically see it happening. You want teams to make 15 hour flights to China? :lol So we can watch games at 8 in the morning here? Good plan..........

eliteballer
10-16-2012, 11:39 AM
The time difference from China to Los Angeles is -15 hours. The time zone from NY to London is -5 hours. That's a huge difference.

The time difference between LA and London is 8 hours but look at the distances. The distance between London and LA is 5500 miles and the distance between LA and Beijing is 6300 miles.

CeltsGarlic
10-16-2012, 11:40 AM
Wouldnt say that europe was interested either.

WesWelkerACL
10-16-2012, 12:13 PM
Wouldnt say that europe was interested either.

Don't know why not, I'd be excited if the English Premiere League was expanding into the United States.

But anyone that's traveled from California to Europe knows what a bad idea it was. The jet-lag is absolutely brutal.

FKAri
10-16-2012, 12:27 PM
Don't know why not, I'd be excited if the English Premiere League was expanding into the United States.

That's impossible under FIFA rules.

Shade8780
10-16-2012, 12:29 PM
there wont be any expansion to europe or asia.

how the hell are u gonna go play in asia if you have to adjust to a 12 hour timezone difference , also no fan in US would watch a game 7 am in the mourning. lets not be stupid
You're making you Americans look so stubborn. We have to watch games at 1 in the morning in Europe.

DuMa
10-16-2012, 12:32 PM
should be looking into expanding into south america instead

kurt_rambis
10-16-2012, 12:32 PM
they would probably have to set up a schedule where the european teams play each other a disproportionate number of times, and maybe only do a western conference road trip every other year or something. it's hard to see how they could work it out so every team plays each other at least twice a year like they do now

Brick Rick
10-16-2012, 01:24 PM
There's no need for further expansion. Expanding into Canada is enough. We got 30 teams in the league, we don't need anymore to dilute the talent.

MavsSuperFan
10-16-2012, 01:27 PM
There's no need for further expansion. Expanding into Canada is enough. We got 30 teams in the league, we don't need anymore to dilute the talent.

This, the NBA should look to market, itself everywhere thou. Especially selling jerseys and other items.

WesWelkerACL
10-16-2012, 04:12 PM
That's impossible under FIFA rules.

lol, I was speaking hypothetically. Thanks though professor.

outbreak
10-16-2012, 05:01 PM
In regards to the China discussion, I think Oceania should form it's own league and combine that whole region into one. Help raise the salaries and maybe attract some NBA drop off talent to the league. They've had Singapore in the australian league in the past why not go all the way and form one league.

CavaliersFTW
10-16-2012, 05:18 PM
The NBA should expand it's D-League into Europe, that way the D-League could become a competitive rival league to their struggling Euroleauge for the title of "Best league in Europe"

SourPatchKids
10-16-2012, 05:32 PM
The NBA should expand it's D-League into Europe, that way the D-League could become a competitive rival league to their struggling Euroleauge for the title of "Best league in Europe"
I smell Euroleague bait.

Money 23
10-16-2012, 05:36 PM
Finally ditching this dumb worldwide expansion idea, kick started in the late 90's.

It's called the NATIONAL Basketball Association for a reason, Stern.

Don't out kick your coverage, when you over extend yourself too much that can be bad for business as well.

KyrieTheFuture
10-16-2012, 05:50 PM

Came in here to post this but on a more serious note. The D-league could be much more popular if it were hosted in Europe IMO. Also I think all pre season games could be held in Europe/Asia. I wouldn't say I vehemently support these but it's food for thought.

outbreak
10-16-2012, 07:01 PM
Came in here to post this but on a more serious note. The D-league could be much more popular if it were hosted in Europe IMO. Also I think all pre season games could be held in Europe/Asia. I wouldn't say I vehemently support these but it's food for thought.

If D-League teams could be hosted in larger Euro cities as well it would help generate revenue for those teams and also make them more attractive to potential D-League player, would you rather go play in Paris while trying to make the NBA or play in Canton? Could be a legit route for HS players who want to skip college and play abroad. Doesn't even have to be a shot at the talent levels of the Euro-League like some people are treating it, the D-league would get attendance based on the NBA connection and the majority of the league being American players (who in alot of casual fans minds rank higher then everyone else even if it's b.s)

ashlar
10-16-2012, 07:10 PM
Long plane rides take a huge toll on the players even if they travel in private jets and stay at at the best hotels. Imo its unfair to the players on those overseas teams if it were to happen. Imagine if one of those overseas teams were to make it deep into the playoffs. Thats about 8 round trips back and forth between continents. I don't care if you're the best athlete in the world its going to have a negative affect on your body.

ukballer
10-17-2012, 02:57 AM
Even as a European myself, I'm glad to hear this. Call me old fashioned, but I don't want to see the NBA 'tampered' with. It's a successful formula, and I just feel the expansion is unnecessary. I don't think it would make hardcore Euro Basketball fans suddenly love the NBA either. Hell, they'd probably have more disdain for it for potentially breaking up some Euro teams. While it would be a big change for the NBA, not many people seem to acknowledge the ramifications it would have on the European leagues.

Something I'd be much more interested in is seeing NBA regular season games played over in Europe. Especially in London. :D NFL are doing it, Wembley stadium will be hosting a few games over the next few years. The O2 Arena in London is an NBA ready venue and has already hosted a lot of pre-season games.

Not that I'm biased. :banana:

Euroleague
10-17-2012, 03:18 AM
Stern is so full of shit. Everyone in Europe knew this was a complete fantasy that the NBA could ever compete with big European clubs in the market in Europe.

European fans always laughed at this craziness. No NBA team can compete with Real Madrid, Barca, Olympiacos, PAO, Fener, etc. in their home markets.

The economic analysts must have finally told him how nuts he was. The NBA can't just swoop into Europe and out the Euroleague and it's big clubs, or even mildly compete with it in its own market.

They could have a team in London and maybe one in Paris, and that's about it. This was always a complete fantasy by Stern. European fan base is cemented as hard as stone with their own clubs and they would have absolutely no interest in supporting NBA teams.

The ONLY way that would have ever worked was if Stern wanted to make a European division using existing European clubs, or if he wanted to make a world championship game between the Euroleague winner and the NBA winner.

This idea of his of making 5 "expansion NBA franchises in Europe" was always totally insane and absurd, as it could never work. Apparently, he finally realized that.

Euroleague
10-17-2012, 03:20 AM

But anyone that's traveled from California to Europe knows what a bad idea it was. The jet-lag is absolutely brutal.

NBA teams would totally bankrupt in Europe, just like NFL Europe did. Europeans only care about their own clubs, which they have been supporting for decades. They won't leave that club affiliation which to them is like a part of their culture and way of life, to see an NBA expansion team.

InspiredLebowski
10-17-2012, 03:22 AM
It's not like it was ever going to happen inside of at least a decade anyway. The league wants to go to Europe they need at least an entire division there. Even for football it'd be hard to make happen logistically, let alone a game where there's 2/3 games a week.

Euroleague
10-17-2012, 03:22 AM
In regards to the China discussion, I think Oceania should form it's own league and combine that whole region into one. Help raise the salaries and maybe attract some NBA drop off talent to the league. They've had Singapore in the australian league in the past why not go all the way and form one league.

Oceania already has a combined league. It's called Australian League (NBL - National Basketball league), for Australian and New Zealand teams. It already exists.

The average salary is something like $50,000 Australian dollars.

There is also already a Southeast Asian Basketball league.

Euroleague
10-17-2012, 03:23 AM
Finally ditching this dumb worldwide expansion idea, kick started in the late 90's.

It's called the NATIONAL Basketball Association for a reason, Stern.

Don't out kick your coverage, when you over extend yourself too much that can be bad for business as well.

Then why the hell is Canada participating in the NBA?

$LakerGold
10-17-2012, 03:23 AM
Dont let the map fool you ... USA TO Asia is pretty close ... LOOK AT THE GLOBE :D

InspiredLebowski
10-17-2012, 03:25 AM
Stern is so full of shit. Everyone in Europe knew this was a complete fantasy that the NBA could ever compete with big European clubs in the market in Europe.

European fans always laughed at this craziness. No NBA team can compete with Real Madrid, Barca, Olympiacos, PAO, Fener, etc. in their home markets.

The economic analysts must have finally told him how nuts he was. The NBA can't just swoop into Europe and out the Euroleague and it's big clubs, or even mildly compete with it in its own market.

They could have a team in London and maybe one in Paris, and that's about it. This was always a complete fantasy by Stern. European fan base is cemented as hard as stone with their own clubs and they would have absolutely no interest in supporting NBA teams.

The ONLY way that would have ever worked was if Stern wanted to make a European division using existing European clubs, or if he wanted to make a world championship game between the Euroleague winner and the NBA winner.

This idea of his of making 5 "expansion NBA franchises in Europe" was always totally insane and absurd, as it could never work. Apparently, he finally realized that.The majority of NBA teams are already second fiddles to their NFL counterparts. They have no disillusions about coming in to Europe and dominating the continent like they're [insert whatever big soccer team]. But there are plenty of gigantic markets that can more than financially support NBA franchises in a far better fashion than probably at least a third of the NBA's current markets.

Whatever, how's the weather in Arkansas?

Euroleague
10-17-2012, 03:25 AM

You have got to be freaking kidding me...............

European fans are going to watch a league that would be by far worse than the average league in Europe and that they have no affiliation to?

:lol :oldlol: :roll: :facepalm :rolleyes:

Stop smoking crack.

Euroleague
10-17-2012, 03:26 AM
If D-League teams could be hosted in larger Euro cities as well it would help generate revenue for those teams and also make them more attractive to potential D-League player, would you rather go play in Paris while trying to make the NBA or play in Canton? Could be a legit route for HS players who want to skip college and play abroad. Doesn't even have to be a shot at the talent levels of the Euro-League like some people are treating it, the D-league would get attendance based on the NBA connection and the majority of the league being American players (who in alot of casual fans minds rank higher then everyone else even if it's b.s)

You are insane.

Euroleague
10-17-2012, 03:29 AM
Even as a European myself, I'm glad to hear this. Call me old fashioned, but I don't want to see the NBA 'tampered' with. It's a successful formula, and I just feel the expansion is unnecessary. I don't think it would make hardcore Euro Basketball fans suddenly love the NBA either. Hell, they'd probably have more disdain for it for potentially breaking up some Euro teams. While it would be a big change for the NBA, not many people seem to acknowledge the ramifications it would have on the European leagues.

Something I'd be much more interested in is seeing NBA regular season games played over in Europe. Especially in London. :D NFL are doing it, Wembley stadium will be hosting a few games over the next few years. The O2 Arena in London is an NBA ready venue and has already hosted a lot of pre-season games.

The NBA could never ever compete with the big European clubs on their own market. Get serious. Stern is a freaking retard and his economics and marketing people finally told him to stop it.

He was talking about having all of these European teams in cities that already have HUGE connection to their OWN clubs. Anyone that thinks this could have ever worked for the NBA is a dumb ass of historic proportions.

The idea that the D-League would do well in Europe..........it's beyond even ludicrous.

Euroleague
10-17-2012, 03:34 AM
It's not like it was ever going to happen inside of at least a decade anyway. The league wants to go to Europe they need at least an entire division there. Even for football it'd be hard to make happen logistically, let alone a game where there's 2/3 games a week.

It's the economics, not the logistics. The European fan bases won't leave their own club affiliation to support an NBA franchise. Stern probably finally grasped that, after the NBA realized that.

Could the NBA allow existing European clubs to form an NBA division and have success? That's possible.

But this idea of making a new league with new clubs to compete directly with the clubs that already exist there is absolutely ridiculous. The division would fold after one season.

Euroleague
10-17-2012, 03:37 AM
The majority of NBA teams are already second fiddles to their NFL counterparts. They have no disillusions about coming in to Europe and dominating the continent like they're [insert whatever big soccer team]. But there are plenty of gigantic markets that can more than financially support NBA franchises in a far better fashion than probably at least a third of the NBA's current markets.

This is absolutely fantasy. Those "big markets" are London and Paris. That's it. Stern claimed he needed 5 cities. Well, they don't exist. Because they all have their own clubs that they already support with incredible dedication and passion.

These markets simply don't exist because they ALREADY are totally owned by the existing local clubs.

London and Paris...yes. That's 2, not 5.

InspiredLebowski
10-17-2012, 03:48 AM
This is absolutely fantasy. Those "big markets" are London and Paris. That's it. Stern claimed he needed 5 cities. Well, they don't exist. Because they all have their own clubs that they already support with incredible dedication and passion.

These markets simply don't exist because they ALREADY are totally owned by the existing local clubs.

London and Paris...yes. That's 2, not 5.Look at at least a third of the NBA's markets and their professional sports saturation. Then look at the markets potentially available in Europe. The NBA has no interest in overtaking Euroleague clubs, just a franchise being in a market that can financially sustain it. You have no clue what this discussion is actually about.

Whatever, this argument is stupid, you're stupid.

HeddaGambler
10-17-2012, 04:42 AM
As I`ve said before on this topic, the NBA will never come to Europe in it`s current form due to to the fact that the European Union would never accept the draft-system or the CBA. In Europe we don`t allow anything close to a draft, restricted free agency as you know it or pre-defined salaries based on draft positions.

Blue&Orange
10-17-2012, 06:03 AM
How would that work? A European division? Would that be new teams or would they "draft" from existing teams? It could happen if thr NBA was willing to take losses and could find a couple of guys like prokhorov that have no respect for money.

Another thing, you guys realize that there are a gazillion of leagues and teams on europe right? And if the best players were concentrated only on 30 professional teams NBA wouldn't be much better... you guys treat Europe like it's a singular entity, well it isn't... Euroleague is a qualification tournament which means a lot of good players are left out.

10-17-2012, 06:07 AM
The NBA stands for National Basketball Association. I am assuming the "National" of NBA meant the USA and the USA only.

How come Toronto gets a team? And at one point Vancouver did too?

stax
10-17-2012, 07:31 AM

The Knicks and Pistons are playing a regular season game in London in January: http://www.nba.com/pistons/news/nba-returns-london-regular-season-game-featuring-detroit-pistons-and-new-york-knicks Tickets on sale in two weeks.

I pretty much forgot that the Nets and Craptors played back-to-back regular season games in London last season.

sodap
10-17-2012, 09:05 AM

This idea of his of making 5 "expansion NBA franchises in Europe" was always totally insane and absurd, as it could never work. Apparently, he finally realized that.

Florentino P

HeddaGambler
10-17-2012, 09:20 AM
I don't think the draft system would be a problem, technically you can argue that the league is making the selection proccess and hiring the players, then distributing them on teams.

It would never ever be accepted by the EU. Look how they changed the way football worked with the Bosman-verdict. A draft-system and a CBA severly restricting the players` ability to choose their own employers would be ruled illegal.

gabepizza
10-17-2012, 09:20 AM
NBA teams would totally bankrupt in Europe, just like NFL Europe did. Europeans only care about their own clubs, which they have been supporting for decades. They won't leave that club affiliation which to them is like a part of their culture and way of life, to see an NBA expansion team.

If this is true than why were so many European's cheering for the NBA teams in their city.
Alba Berlin guard Heiko Schaffartzik: "It was weird that so many people in the audience cheered for the opposing team. This usually does not happen here."

And here are some facebook pictures of someone who went to the Celtics/Milan game:
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10151293924603132&set=a.10151293768243132.534728.757338131&type=1&theater
This fans said: "Personally, I was at the Celtics game in Milan and, like I said in another comment, I had a frickin

niko
10-17-2012, 12:51 PM

Brooklyn exists in the Knicks market, why the **** wouldn't an NBA team and a team from another league be able to coexist in huge cities? You're a moron.

CavaliersFTW
10-17-2012, 01:02 PM
[QUOTE=gabepizza]If this is true than why were so many European's cheering for the NBA teams in their city.
Alba Berlin guard Heiko Schaffartzik: "It was weird that so many people in the audience cheered for the opposing team. This usually does not happen here."

And here are some facebook pictures of someone who went to the Celtics/Milan game:
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10151293924603132&set=a.10151293768243132.534728.757338131&type=1&theater
This fans said: "Personally, I was at the Celtics game in Milan and, like I said in another comment, I had a frickin

Sakkreth
10-17-2012, 01:11 PM
[QUOTE=gabepizza]If this is true than why were so many European's cheering for the NBA teams in their city.

DCL
10-17-2012, 01:15 PM
not even gonna bother to explain all the logical reasons.

NBA global expansion with teams across the oceans is just a dumb idea to begin with.

what the nba should do is simply continue what it's been doing and doing well, which is focusing on expanding fans all around the world and creating more exposure. they don't need to place teams overseas to have overseas fans.

Sakkreth
10-17-2012, 01:26 PM
not even gonna bother to explain all the logical reasons.

NBA global expansion with teams across the oceans is just a dumb idea to begin with.

what the nba should do is simply continue what it's been doing and doing well, which is focusing on expanding fans all around the world and creating more exposure. they don't need to place teams overseas to have overseas fans.

Simple as that.

kentatm
10-17-2012, 03:58 PM
The NBA could never ever compete with the big European clubs on their own market. Get serious.

You do realize that a Euro expansion would probably mean the NBA would be taking in the bigger Euro teams don't you?

Why start a franchise from scratch when you have ones ready made?

It would be just like when they took in several ABA teams in the 70s.

Now I agree with everyone that it was a dumb idea to begin with but the idea that they would start completely new teams is silly. They would look to bring in Euro teams that met certain benchmarks before they just did everything themselves. It would make far more financial sense to do it that way.

gabepizza
10-17-2012, 05:10 PM
Exactly it's Berlin and Milan, they have no clue wtf is going on on the court anyways. That would never happen if they played in Lithuania or balkan countries, NBA teams would have to face best crowds they've seen even tho it would be only preseason game if it was in Lithuania or Serbia.

Yes I would love nba team in my city, I would definetly come to the game (Arena is like 15minutes away on feet), but there is no way i would cheer for any nba team over Zalgiris ever in my life, there would be close to none if any at all supportes of any nba team in arena if it played vs zalgiris.

Yes and everyone should ignore Euroleague poster. He should get banned aswell, but you aren't that much better if u spend hours to argue with him, how hard is to ignore him ?

Yeah I agree. The NBA wants to market in Western Europe because it's more about money. No offense, but even though Lithuania and balkan countries care more about basketball, they just don't have the economy that would make the NBA interested. First and foremost the NBA is a business and Germany and Italy have bigger economies.

That being said. You're right about the Euroleague and I'll try to ignore him from now on.

Euroleague
10-17-2012, 06:28 PM
Look at at least a third of the NBA's markets and their professional sports saturation. Then look at the markets potentially available in Europe. The NBA has no interest in overtaking Euroleague clubs, just a franchise being in a market that can financially sustain it. You have no clue what this discussion is actually about.

Whatever, this argument is stupid, you're stupid.

You are a moron and an ignorant jackass.

Euroleague
10-17-2012, 06:30 PM
How would that work? A European division? Would that be new teams or would they "draft" from existing teams? It could happen if thr NBA was willing to take losses and could find a couple of guys like prokhorov that have no respect for money.

Another thing, you guys realize that there are a gazillion of leagues and teams on europe right? And if the best players were concentrated only on 30 professional teams NBA wouldn't be much better... you guys treat Europe like it's a singular entity, well it isn't... Euroleague is a qualification tournament which means a lot of good players are left out.

If you have not already figured it out yet, most of the posters here are retarded.

Euroleague
10-17-2012, 06:44 PM
[QUOTE=sodap]Florentino P

Euroleague
10-17-2012, 06:47 PM

Euroleague
10-17-2012, 06:50 PM
Brooklyn exists in the Knicks market, why the **** wouldn't an NBA team and a team from another league be able to coexist in huge cities? You're a moron.

Right...so an NBA team in Madrid is going to get the market over Real Madrid.

NBA team in Barcelona over Barca.....

NBA team in Athens over PAO and Olympiacos...

NBA team in Istanbul over Galatasaray, Fener, Besiktas......

NBA team in Tel Aviv over Maccabi........

NBA team over Partizan or Red Star in Belgrade......

etc., etc., etc...........

You are so ****ing stupid that it is downright pitiful.

Euroleague
10-17-2012, 06:54 PM
Exactly it's Berlin and Milan, they have no clue wtf is going on on the court anyways. That would never happen if they played in Lithuania or balkan countries, NBA teams would have to face best crowds they've seen even tho it would be only preseason game if it was in Lithuania or Serbia.

Yes I would love nba team in my city, I would definetly come to the game (Arena is like 15minutes away on feet), but there is no way i would cheer for any nba team over Zalgiris ever in my life, there would be close to none if any at all supportes of any nba team in arena if it played vs zalgiris.

Yes and everyone should ignore Euroleague poster. He should get banned aswell, but you aren't that much better if u spend hours to argue with him, how hard is to ignore him ?

I other words, everything I said was true, and everything Gabe said was fiction and totally made up. But I should be banned anyway, just because the NBA only fans argue with me.....

Right............not like the NBA only fans like Gabe that just lie endlessly here should be banned instead.......

:rolleyes: :facepalm

HeddaGambler
10-18-2012, 02:13 AM
A more feasible idea would be to let a rich European buy a team, relocate it to a city with an area with a lot of European people living there and then play a lot of games in Europe. Call it the "city name" Euros and have them play in Spain when they play the Lakers, Grizzlies, and the Timberwolves (Gasols & Rubio), in Germany when they play the Mavs, in Turkey when Kanter and Hedo`s teams visit and so on. This way you would get to keep all teams in North America while at the same time expanding the fan-base in Europe.

Meticode
10-18-2012, 02:53 AM
Good, I didn't want the NBA to expand into Europe anyway.

bdreason
10-18-2012, 03:29 AM
I think the idea was that if the NBA was going to expand into Europe, it would be by creating an entirely separate league. You would need to have 8 teams probably, and they would all just play each other, perhaps making one long trip to the States each season.

Europe already has its own thing going on though, with lots of leagues. An "NBA Europe" league, or whatever they would call it, would fail miserably.

BoutPractice
10-18-2012, 06:27 AM
I don't see how you could interpret from Stern's words that he has "abandoned" the concept. He's saying they're not there yet.

niko
10-18-2012, 08:45 AM
Right...so an NBA team in Madrid is going to get the market over Real Madrid.

NBA team in Barcelona over Barca.....

NBA team in Athens over PAO and Olympiacos...

NBA team in Istanbul over Galatasaray, Fener, Besiktas......

NBA team in Tel Aviv over Maccabi........

NBA team over Partizan or Red Star in Belgrade......

etc., etc., etc...........

You are so ****ing stupid that it is downright pitiful.

I didn't say OVER shithead. You said they couldn't exist in the same market. As always you are STUPID.

Damn stereotypical Arkansas person.