PDA

View Full Version : BREAKING: Leandro Barbosa signs with Celtics

bagelred
10-17-2012, 04:18 PM
Free agent guard Leandro Barbosa has reached agreement on a one-year deal with the Boston Celtics, league sources tell Yahoo! Sports

All Net
10-17-2012, 04:18 PM
Sucks

HylianNightmare
10-17-2012, 04:19 PM
why

CeltsGarlic
Just another good player to the huge depth we already have.

Clippersfan86
More depth to a top 3 deepest team in the NBA already. Great signing although between Bradley, Terry, Barbosa and Rondo they are more undersized than any backcourt I've seen in recent years so I wonder if that will hurt them.

IGOTGAME
10-17-2012, 04:20 PM
Really wish Mitch could have signed him. At least he would get playing time in LA.

bagelred
10-17-2012, 04:21 PM
More depth to a top 3 deepest team in the NBA already. .

Who are the other two? :coleman:

Rab
10-17-2012, 04:22 PM
I'm guessing the bulk of his playing time will come behind Rondo. Who is the backup PG? With Terry and Courtney Lee there, they have a lot of backcourt depth, especially when Avery Bradley comes back.

Clippersfan86
10-17-2012, 04:22 PM
Who are the other two? :coleman:

Hey can't hate me for being honest :oldlol: . I think the Nuggets, Celtics and Clippers are the 3 deepest teams on paper. I think Spurs and Knicks round out the top 5.

qrich
10-17-2012, 04:23 PM
Rondo, Terry, Bradley, Lee, Barbosa.

Hell of a guard rotation

bagelred
10-17-2012, 04:24 PM
Hey can't hate me for being honest :oldlol: .

:coleman: :coleman:

ChuckOakley
10-17-2012, 04:25 PM
Good signing but what an undersized set of guards.. and PF with Bass/Sullinger.

Xiao Yao You
10-17-2012, 04:27 PM
More depth to a top 3 deepest team in the NBA already. Great signing although between Bradley, Terry, Barbosa and Rondo they are more undersized than any backcourt I've seen in recent years so I wonder if that will hurt them.

arguable as to rather they are more undersized in the backcourt than the Clipps.

Heavincent
10-17-2012, 04:28 PM
Damn, good offseason for the Celtics.

Rekindled
10-17-2012, 04:36 PM
Hey can't hate me for being honest :oldlol: . I think the Nuggets, Celtics and Clippers are the 3 deepest teams on paper. I think Spurs and Knicks round out the top 5.

clippers are deep? who the hell is their backup center. who the hell is backup PF? fat odom? :roll: :roll:

Real Men Wear Green
10-17-2012, 04:37 PM
I like the signing as injury insurance (knock on wood) but there are going to be a few guys upset with pt.

Clippersfan86
10-17-2012, 04:39 PM
arguable as to rather they are more undersized in the backcourt than the Clipps.

Billups is 6'4 215+, Crawford is 6'5 200. Sure somewhat undersized but nothing like having all 4 rotation guards that small.

Terry= 6'1
Bradley 6'2
Barbosa= 6'3
Rondo= 6'1

Besides wasn't criticizing them. I was praising their depth and the addition and just noting how small the backcourt is becoming.

Nash
10-17-2012, 04:41 PM
Keep stackin' them SG's. No wonder Ray left.

mark
10-17-2012, 04:43 PM
I win.

used to be one of my fav players with his constant hustle and effort. Declined alot, and argued with different teams. This is not good for the Celtics. Lame pickup.

Xiao Yao You
10-17-2012, 04:50 PM
clippers are deep? who the hell is their backup center. who the hell is backup PF? fat odom? :roll: :roll:

supposedly Odom is their back-up center though he hasn't really played that position outside the World Championships. :confusedshrug:

Billups is 6'4 215+, Crawford is 6'5 200. Sure somewhat undersized but nothing like having all 4 rotation guards that small.

Billups is growing? He's always been listed at 6'3".

Terry= 6'1
Bradley 6'2
Barbosa= 6'3
Rondo= 6'1

Terry 6'2. I believe Barboasa supposedly grew to 6'4 or so. You conveniently left out their likely starter Lee at 6'6.

Besides wasn't criticizing them. I was praising their depth and the addition and just noting how small the backcourt is becoming.

Who said you was criticizing them? You called them the smallest backcourt in recent years when the best rotation and deepest team in basketball has an even smaller one.

ChuckOakley
10-17-2012, 05:19 PM
supposedly Odom is their back-up center though he hasn't really played that position outside the World Championships. :confusedshrug:

Billups is growing? He's always been listed at 6'3".

Terry 6'2. I believe Barboasa supposedly grew to 6'4 or so. You conveniently left out their likely starter Lee at 6'6.

Who said you was criticizing them? You called them the smallest backcourt in recent years when the best rotation and deepest team in basketball has an even smaller one.
Lee is 6'6"?
On the Nets he looked closer to 6'4" and thin.

Clippersfan86
10-17-2012, 05:23 PM
Well I did forget Lee, so fair enough. He is listed as 6'4-6'6 which is still plenty for SG. If he's starting then yea def not bad on size. Although your heights are wrong. Terry was listed as 6'1 for over a decade... I'm not buying that he grew an inch in his mid-late 30's. Barbosa is definitely not anywhere near 6'4 as Billups is taller than him and in 90 percent of listings on the web Barbosa is 6'3.

ripthekik
10-17-2012, 05:28 PM
Love this. Would have been useless if he signed to another random team.. I like it this way so the Celtics can give the Heat a better challenge, or else the East is going to be a catwalk again.

DuMa
10-17-2012, 05:35 PM
so this is why they cut dionte christmas.

just another SG for Wade to feast on like he did against Indiana.

crisoner
10-17-2012, 05:40 PM
Damn it would of loved to have him on the Lakeshow.

How much playing time will he even get there?

LA Lakers
Sheeit. I was hoping hed come to LA. At least this gives the Celtics more of a punchers chance to beat the Heat. Yes, thats how much I hate the Heat...

Real Men Wear Green
so this is why they cut dionte christmas.

just another SG for Wade to feast on like he did against Indiana.
The Cs have the defenders to throw at Wade in Bradley, Lee, and Rondo. The real problem is James. Unfortunately I don't know which free agent out there changes that.

crisoner
10-17-2012, 05:42 PM
Sheeit. I was hoping hed come to LA. At least this gives the Celtics more of a punchers chance to beat the Heat. Yes, thats how much I hate the Heat...

I'm kind over the Heat hate I back to rooting for the Lakers and who ever plays the Celtics.

BlackWhiteGreen
10-17-2012, 06:15 PM
The Cs have the defenders to throw at Wade in Bradley, Lee, and Rondo. The real problem is James. Unfortunately I don't know which free agent out there changes that.

Realistically so few players can play him or Durant well enough that they become a premium and will likely never be free agents. I can deal with throwing Pierce, Green and Lee at him.

lilgodfather1
10-17-2012, 06:19 PM
Barbosa isn't a great player, but he's decent enough. Nice depth signing though, and good for the East so the Heat just don't sweep their way to the finals this year. Maybe the Celtics can push them to 5 now.

DuMa
10-17-2012, 06:22 PM
those kooky brazilians are taking over the celtics.

hipballinjigga
10-17-2012, 06:42 PM
Barbosa isn't a great player, but he's decent enough. Nice depth signing though, and good for the East so the Heat just don't sweep their way to the finals this year. Maybe the Celtics can push them to 5 now.

5? Let's look at it objectively and not just as a fan. If they do meet, both teams will match up rather nicely. 7 game series all the way. Plus, Stern knows how to make money.

longtime lurker
10-17-2012, 07:12 PM
Seriously where the hell do the Celtics get all this money to keep signing players? Nice signing. Their depth reminds me of an Eastern conference version of the Spurs, but they have a lot of young vets

JohnnySic
10-17-2012, 07:14 PM
Good signing. Another smurf though? :oldlol:

Whoah10115
10-17-2012, 07:35 PM
I don't get the need for this...and I also don't get how many exemptions a team can get. What the hell was that lockout for?

ballup
10-17-2012, 08:10 PM
Any backcourt will have nightmares when facing the Celtics this season.

bisk
10-17-2012, 08:15 PM
I heard rumours of him earlier during the off-season possibly joining the Cavs. Thank **** that didn't happen.

Xiao Yao You
10-17-2012, 08:30 PM
Lee is 6'6"?
On the Nets he looked closer to 6'4" and thin.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/teams/bos/roster

6'5 here

Terry was listed as 6'1 for over a decade... I'm not buying that he grew an inch in his mid-late 30's. Barbosa is definitely not anywhere near 6'4 as Billups is taller than him and in 90 percent of listings on the web Barbosa is 6'3.

I never remember Terry as anything but 6'2. Barbosa supposedly grew close to an inch and they don't generally change heights. Please show us the 6'4" listing for Chauncey?

HorryIsMyMVP
10-17-2012, 08:32 PM
Ray Allen will be missed by the Celtics. He is as good of a shooter as they come. He will flourish in Miami with Lebron.

HaNdLe ThE RoCk
10-17-2012, 09:42 PM
Lee is 6'5 and Barbosa is 6'3. As from Terry i'd say he's closer to 6'1 but listed at 6'2 everywhere. I'm lost on why Barbosa wouldn't pick the lakers over boston? bradley, terry, lee and rondo is going to be crowded but never can have to much depth

Xiao Yao You
10-17-2012, 09:56 PM
Lee is 6'5 and Barbosa is 6'3. As from Terry i'd say he's closer to 6'1 but listed at 6'2 everywhere. I'm lost on why Barbosa wouldn't pick the lakers over boston? bradley, terry, lee and rondo is going to be crowded but never can have to much depth

Lakers were an option for him?

Eric Cartman
10-17-2012, 10:00 PM
Ray Allen will be missed by the Celtics. He is as good of a shooter as they come. He will flourish in Miami with Lebron.

And this is relevant in this discussion because?

Rekindled
10-17-2012, 10:10 PM
boston is going to trade some of their backcourt players right? i assume a bass+lee/bradley for a josh smith type of deal is coming up :confusedshrug:

bagelred
10-17-2012, 10:36 PM
Good signing. Another smurf though? :oldlol:

Does that make Doc Rivers, Papa Smurf? :coleman:

longtime lurker
10-17-2012, 10:54 PM
boston is going to trade some of their backcourt players right? i assume a bass+lee/bradley for a josh smith type of deal is coming up :confusedshrug:

That's awful value to Atlanta. I see Celtics having to give up at least one of their young draft picks and a future pick

therammingman
10-17-2012, 10:55 PM
how many freaking guards???

Pushxx
10-17-2012, 10:57 PM
Celtics clearly gearing to play small-ball all season. Guess the lack of centers in the NBA makes that pretty easy.

OmniStrife
10-18-2012, 12:58 AM
WTF
I get it that Ray is gone but
Bradley / Terry / Lee / Barbosa
is kinda dumb...

ballup
10-18-2012, 01:04 AM
WTF
I get it that Ray is gone but
Bradley / Terry / Lee / Barbosa
is kinda dumb...
Bradley is out until January I think. It's more like this:
Rondo/ Terry
Lee/Barbosa/Bradley

ConanRulesNBC
10-18-2012, 01:04 AM
Damn! This season keeps on getting better and better. The Heat have real competition out east in the Celtics and pretty much any of the big teams out west (Lakers, Spurs, Mavericks, Thunder).

Clifton
10-18-2012, 01:21 AM
Terry and Barbosa on the same team?

Someone explain to me why that isn't a really bad idea.

I mean, they added a good player to their roster... but one of those two guys is going to get short shrift. You ever hang out with a group of people and one of them is wayyy too much like you, in looks and personality? It grates on you. You don't want them there. Or when you're driving on the highway and someone else is going the exact same speed as you?

Barbosa's going to hate being on this team because I don't think he's as good as Terry and the Celtics already have a breakneck-speed small guard Rondo who's going to be on the floor most of the time. Barbosa should have signed with someone that could use him.

kNIOKAS
10-18-2012, 04:40 AM
This for instant offense of the second unit? And he could play the first, also. I don't think of Barbosa as a high intelligence guy but he's fast, and he has some skills to go with. Well, we'll see.

kNIOKAS
10-18-2012, 04:42 AM
I'll call him Barbarosa. Why somebody mentioned smurfs?!

greymatter
10-18-2012, 11:58 AM
Terry and Barbosa on the same team?

Someone explain to me why that isn't a really bad idea.

I mean, they added a good player to their roster... but one of those two guys is going to get short shrift. You ever hang out with a group of people and one of them is wayyy too much like you, in looks and personality? It grates on you. You don't want them there. Or when you're driving on the highway and someone else is going the exact same speed as you?

Barbosa's going to hate being on this team because I don't think he's as good as Terry and the Celtics already have a breakneck-speed small guard Rondo who's going to be on the floor most of the time. Barbosa should have signed with someone that could use him.

Basically this. A good comparison would be to have Ray Allen and Reggie Miller on the same team.

Celtics don't really get much better. He winds up being more of an insurance signing if they lose JT, Rondo, or Bradley. He'll be good for what, 10-14 minutes a game at best?

Hardly an impact player given the circumstances.

JohnnySic
10-18-2012, 12:24 PM
It could be that Ainge is stockpiling players in anticipation of a trade. Josh Smith perhaps.

Real Men Wear Green
10-18-2012, 12:24 PM
Basically this. A good comparison would be to have Ray Allen and Reggie Miller on the same team.

Celtics don't really get much better. He winds up being more of an insurance signing if they lose JT, Rondo, or Bradley. He'll be good for what, 10-14 minutes a game at best?

Hardly an impact player given the circumstances.
Who's the impact player out there to sign? Right now he's an insurance signing but his preserve also gives the Celtics a roster that they can build a trade with more easily. He's not a huge addition but who would be?

UtahJazzFan88
10-18-2012, 12:42 PM
Barbosa's just going to be riding the bench unless someone gets injured. So it's probably a really smart pick-up, but not someone I'm playing at all if my top guys are fine.