PDA

View Full Version : Putting away the myth that Kobe is a better midranger shooter than MJ

Derivative
10-18-2012, 04:09 AM
I don't know how the myth that kobe is a better midrange shooter than Jordan even came from. It was league consensus that Jordan was already one of the, if not the, best midrange shooter in the league back in 1990.

Already in the first three peat, most of Jordan's points came from midrange jumpshots, and Jordan was able to average 60% TS with midrange as his primary weapon.

Even in the second threepeat, where Jordan is mostly using midrange shots, he still achieves better FG% and TS% than Kobe in his PRIME.

Jordan is a much much better midrange shooter than Kobe and its not even close.

StateOfMind12
10-18-2012, 04:21 AM
So how does that make him a better mid-range shooter again?

Yeah, MJ had a higher TS and FG% but that's because he was the better decision maker and had a better shot selection, not because he was necessarily a better mid-range shooter.

L.A. Jazz
10-18-2012, 04:23 AM
I don't know how the myth that kobe is a better midrange shooter than Jordan even came from. ...
Never heard about this myth before, so there is a big chance you made it up just to start this thread.

KOBE143
10-18-2012, 04:29 AM
This is no myth.. Kobe is better.. This is known fact already.. Stop making up lies..

LJJ
10-18-2012, 04:30 AM
I don't know how the myth that kobe is a better midrange shooter than Jordan even came from.

Literally nobody thinks this other than the most delusional Kobe stans.

Not thread worthy.

LakersReign
10-18-2012, 04:38 AM
I don't know how the myth that kobe is a better midrange shooter than Jordan even came from. It was league consensus that Jordan was already one of the, if not the, best midrange shooter in the league back in 1990.

Already in the first three peat, most of Jordan's points came from midrange jumpshots, and Jordan was able to average 60% TS with midrange as his primary weapon.

Even in the second threepeat, where Jordan is mostly using midrange shots, he still achieves better FG% and TS% than Kobe in his PRIME.

Jordan is a much much better midrange shooter than Kobe and its not even close.

Any Kobe thread you make is an absolute fabricated joke. Just like this one: http://207.58.151.151/forum/showthread.php?t=269505

GTFOH:rolleyes:

andgar923
10-18-2012, 04:41 AM
Never heard about this myth before, so there is a big chance you made it up just to start this thread.
you haven't been around have you.

andgar923
10-18-2012, 04:41 AM

Yeah, MJ had a higher TS and FG% but that's because he was the better decision maker and had a better shot selection, not because he was necessarily a better mid-range shooter.
:biggums:

BoutPractice
10-18-2012, 06:20 AM
How do you compare shooters who face a similar amount of defensive attention if you're not allowed to compare their shooting percentage from the same distance?

How good their form looks? Their "reputation"? How much you like them personally?

Odinn
10-18-2012, 06:56 AM
Kobe's fadeaway looks fancier than MJ's. That's all.

Anaximandro1
10-18-2012, 07:30 AM
It's close

Difference is: Jordan is quicker and smarter,so he gets better looks than Kobe.

NumberSix
10-18-2012, 07:33 AM
I've actually NEVER heard anyone say Kobe was a better mid-range shooter than MJ.

NumberSix
10-18-2012, 07:34 AM

^You'd think that this was a comment draped in sarcasm and intentional irony, but no, you're actually sincere. Yup. You're THAT stupid.

ripthekik
10-18-2012, 07:47 AM
I haven't heard this myth either.
If it exists, it's probably because Kobe likes to take those incredibly tough shots and makes them sometimes.
Over the career, MJ is better no doubt.

lakerspng
10-18-2012, 08:39 AM
MJ has always been considered a better midrange shooter, which he is.

Kobe has been considered to be a better long range shooter, which he is.

Dragonyeuw
10-18-2012, 08:48 AM
The whole 'Kobe makes incredibly tough shots' is sort of a back-handed compliment. People like to bring up era and defenses and a whole bunch of fluff to explain the different in shooting percentages: can it just be that Jordan took smarter shots? I've seen Kobe take shots that MJ just wouldn't take, simply because from a standpoint of the 'right' basketball play it was a very poor decision. Sure, both guys have taken their fair of poor shots in their careers, it's part of the game. But generally, MJ took better shots and didn't waste motion dribbling himself into creating space. Kobe likes to do that, Jordan was more of a 'fake one way, go the other, two hard dribbles, pull-up shot'. They're similar and both very different at the same time.

Dragonyeuw
10-18-2012, 08:48 AM

This.

poido123
10-18-2012, 09:15 AM
Don't you guys get sick of talking about Kobe vs MJ comparison threads?

Its clear that arguing with younger generation Kobe fans is gonna get you nowhere. MJ was a better midrange shooter, I just know that with what I saw, and the statistics will back that up also. But hey, who's gonna talk logic here, people with agendas will twist the truth to suit their own homerism.

scandisk_
10-18-2012, 09:31 AM

The only correct answer.

upside24
10-18-2012, 11:37 AM

This seems to be the general consensus.

At least with level headed unbiased posters.

Kobe is my favorite player ever but he is not a superior midrange shooter than MJ. As far as threes go, MJ didn't shoot them often because he worked to get better closer shots. Kobe settles for threes when he could sometimes work for a better shot.

Jordan could have been the better 3 point shooter but that was a part of his game he didn't emphasis. If he wanted he could've been a great long range shooter.

eliteballer
10-18-2012, 11:41 AM
Kobe's pretty clearly a better midrange shooter, mainly because he's a much better shooter off the dribble.

Young X
10-18-2012, 12:25 PM
MJ shot 43% from the shortened 3-pt line (22 ft.) in '96, and also shot 42% from midrange in '03, which is slightly higher than what Kobe shot last season from midrange, and also higher than most of Kobe's seasons.

Segatti
10-18-2012, 12:31 PM
achieves better FG% and TS% than Kobe in his PRIME.

This is because the guards of his era were smaller and more weak.

daily
10-18-2012, 12:35 PM
MJ shot 43% from the shortened 3-pt line (22 ft.) in '96, and also shot 42% from midrange in '03, which is slightly higher than what Kobe shot last season from midrange, and also higher than most of Kobe's seasons.Links?

Money 23
10-18-2012, 12:36 PM

Honesty

scm5
10-18-2012, 12:38 PM

This.

We've all heard that Kobe's midrange game is one of the best in the league right now, but it isn't as good as MJ's was.

Young X
10-18-2012, 12:41 PM
Links?
http://www.basketball-reference.com/play-index/plus/shooting.cgi?player_id=jordami01&year_id=2003&shot_pts=2&shot_type=JUMP_SHOT

eliteballer
10-18-2012, 12:46 PM
MJ shot 43% from the shortened 3-pt line (22 ft.) in '96, and also shot 42% from midrange in '03, which is slightly higher than what Kobe shot last season from midrange, and also higher than most of Kobe's seasons.

Way to ignore about a million different variables that go into that, but I see your red rating so it's understandable.

SourPatchKids
10-18-2012, 12:50 PM
I've actually NEVER heard anyone say Kobe was a better mid-range shooter than MJ.
yes

NoGunzJustSkillz
10-18-2012, 12:51 PM
season is right around the corner, time to move on from the usual mj/kobe off-season threads.

Young X
10-18-2012, 12:51 PM
Way to ignore about a million different variables that go into that, but I see your red rating so it's understandable.
LOL @ this hating ass n*gga, at least there is some kind of factual proof behind my post, unlike your post which is just built on speculation/perception and hate for MJ.

Money 23
10-18-2012, 12:59 PM
LOL @ this hating ass n*gga, at least there is some kind of factual proof behind my post, unlike your post which is just built on speculation/perception and hate for MJ.
Don't forget the Laker dildo he sits on while typing on ish. :oldlol:

StateOfMind12
10-18-2012, 01:19 PM
^You'd think that this was a comment draped in sarcasm and intentional irony, but no, you're actually sincere. Yup. You're THAT stupid.
I don't think Kobe was a better mid-range shooter. I'm just saying the argument used is invalid.

If MJ's FG% from mid-range is better then he does have a point but it's just overall FG% and TS% which factors in numerous of other variables such as shot selection, finishing ability, etc.

Whoah10115
10-18-2012, 01:26 PM
Jordan is the better mid-range shooter, but Kobe is a better pure shooter than Michael.

DuMa
10-18-2012, 01:28 PM
if i need a 3, i'll still take jordan. dont give a shit if kobe has made more. hes also missed many more.

chazzy
10-18-2012, 01:43 PM
if i need a 3, i'll still take jordan. dont give a shit if kobe has made more. hes also missed many more.
Ray Allen has also missed many more, nice logic

glidedrxlr22
10-18-2012, 02:02 PM

:applause: :roll: Repped!

NoGunzJustSkillz
10-18-2012, 02:09 PM
Money thinking about d!ck while typing on a basketball forum.

HBKMGa
10-18-2012, 02:15 PM
:applause: :roll: Repped!

:applause: :roll: Negged!

OldSchoolBBall
10-18-2012, 04:14 PM
Kobe's pretty clearly a better midrange shooter, mainly because he's a much better shooter off the dribble.

No, he's really not. You simply repeating this nonsense in multiple threads doesn't make it true.

RaininTwos
10-18-2012, 04:20 PM
http://i655.photobucket.com/albums/uu275/otriumph/Gifs/stare.gif

westside_baller
10-18-2012, 04:51 PM

Incorrect. Kobe and Michael's 3 pt percentages are nearly identical. Kobe is 33.7% for his career, Jordan is at 32.7% for his career.

However, Kobe's 3 pt percentage has declined the past 3 seasons, to barely 30% this past season. Kobe and Jordan will most likely have identical 3 pt percentages by the time Kobe retires.

eliteballer
10-18-2012, 04:59 PM
Incorrect. Kobe and Michael's 3 pt percentages are nearly identical. Kobe is 33.7% for his career, Jordan is at 32.7% for his career.

However, Kobe's 3 pt percentage has declined the past 3 seasons, to barely 30% this past season. Kobe and Jordan will most likely have identical 3 pt percentages by the time Kobe retires.

No FOOL. Jordan's inflated by the short 3 point line. His % with the real line is 29%.

:coleman:

Money 23
10-18-2012, 05:03 PM
No FOOL. Jordan's inflated by the short 3 point line. His % with the real line is 29%.
God, you're dumb. You don't simply take away the percentages from those two season.

MJ got better at shooting from distance every season in the league starting in 1990.

You don't take the inflated percentages, but you give him a mean or median average of what he shot in 1990, 1991, 1992, 1993, and 1998 from distance. Use that for the two seasons in '96 and '97 where he shot from the shortened line, what he would've shot from the normal distance.

Which is only a ruler length closer, and you have the accurate percentage. MJ would've shot around 30 - 33% from the normal three point line.

Much the same as Kobe. There is a difference though, it doesn't mean MJ's as good from 3. Kobe shoots it more, so his percentage dips. Having watched them, Kobe is the superior player from deep. He has better and more consistent range.

With that said MJ is easily the better and more consistent mid range shooter. Eye test folks. No bias either way, just truth.

DatAsh
10-18-2012, 05:03 PM

Yep.

It should be clear that Jordan was the better mid-range shooter and Kobe the better long-range shooter.

eliteballer
10-18-2012, 05:05 PM
God, you're dumb. You don't simply take away the percentages from those two season
MJ got better at shooting from distance every season in the league starting in 1990.

You don't take the inflated percentages, but you give him a mean or median average of what he shot in 1990, 1991, 1992, 1993, and 1998 from distance. Use that for the two seasons in '96 and '97 where he shot from the shortened line, what he would've shot from the normal distance.

Which is only a ruler length closer, and you have the accurate percentage. MJ would've shot around 30 - 33% from the normal three point line.

Much the same as Kobe. There is a difference though, it doesn't mean MJ's as good from 3. Kobe shoots it more, so his percentage dips. Having watched them, Kobe is the superior player from deep. He has better and more consistent range.

With that said MJ is easily the better and more consistent mid range shooter. Eye test folks. No bias either way, just truth.

:roll: Pathetic. Much like Jordans % with the real line.

Money 23
10-18-2012, 05:12 PM
:roll: Pathetic. Much like Jordans % with the real line.
He shot 38% in 1990
He shot 31% in 1991
He shot 35% in 1993

How is that pathetic? It's moot anyway, we all know bailing the defense out and shooting dumb / lower percentage shots wasn't his game.

That's why he was a better offensive player and better / more consistent scorer than Kobe. :facepalm

tmacattack33
10-18-2012, 05:25 PM
"Mid" Range?

That's definitely MJ.

Anything even slightly further than that is Kobe.

Cali Syndicate
10-18-2012, 05:43 PM
For those saying they've never heard this, Tim Legler called Kobe possibly the greatest midrange shooter of all time. I don't agree but there's one. A notable guy as well.

BEAST Griffin
10-18-2012, 06:13 PM
Dirk is a better midrange shooter than Kobe.

DatAsh
10-18-2012, 06:17 PM
For those saying they've never heard this, Tim Legler called Kobe possibly the greatest midrange shooter of all time. I don't agree but there's one. A notable guy as well.

Neither Jordan nor Kobe has any case for being the best midrange shooter of all time.

Derivative
10-18-2012, 06:22 PM
Neither Jordan nor Kobe has any case for being the best midrange shooter of all time.

actually jordan does, how else was he still the best player in the league at age 35?

DatAsh
10-18-2012, 07:59 PM
actually jordan does, how else was he still the best player in the league at age 35?

Because his combined skill set - which included his midrange game - was still better than that of anyone else in the league.

Derivative
01-17-2013, 11:00 PM
wut?

gigantes
01-22-2013, 02:37 AM
Putting away the myth that Kobe is a better midranger shooter than MJ
kobe is still a long ways from reaching MJ's level, but i gotta say that you sound a little angry about all this, dude.

just saying, is all.

Teanett
01-22-2013, 08:44 AM

+1

kshutts1
01-22-2013, 09:29 AM
The other night I got bored, so I went on basketballreference.com and looked up career shooting numbers for Jordan and Kobe.

Taking 3p shots out of the equation (I wanted to see if Jordan was really that more efficient than Kobe with shooting, or if Kobe just took more 3s), Jordan shot about 51% for his career while Kobe shot 48%.

With 3s, the "difference" increases, as Jordan's % goes down a touch (Not a good 3p shooter), but Kobe's goes down quite a bit cuz he takes so many 3s. Though it should be noted that Kobe's 3p percentage is about 36% (if my memory serves correctly) which makes it points-wise just as efficient, if no moreso, than Jordan's 51% non-3p.

I'm not making any sort of inferences, I was just bored. Figured I'd throw that out since the convo is similar

Calabis
01-22-2013, 11:13 AM
Tex Winter:

Some people say Kobe is a better shooter but Michael really developed as a shooter as he went along. I don't know if Kobe is a better shooter than Michael was at his best."