PDA

View Full Version : Lebron a couple years ago was SCARY fast

SourPatchKids
10-18-2012, 09:14 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N_EGgNhDlhw&feature=related

LikeABosh
10-18-2012, 09:15 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N_EGgNhDlhw&feature=related
His speed has gone down a bit because of adding extra muscle, but I think he's just toned down his play. He paces himself and plays more in control. When he has too he can still turn those jets on though

b1imtf
10-18-2012, 09:16 PM
I don't care what you say, he's not as fast now

G-Funk
10-18-2012, 09:23 PM
Damn I didn't know Lee posterized him

arifgokcen
10-18-2012, 09:26 PM

Lebron was behind him how can you call that posterized i dont know.

But damn what a speed

TaLvsCuaL
10-18-2012, 09:28 PM
His mobility is still excellent for someone of this height and weight. The dude is a freak.

magnax1
10-19-2012, 02:13 AM
His speed has gone down a bit because of adding extra muscle, but I think he's just toned down his play. He paces himself and plays more in control. When he has too he can still turn those jets on though
Is he really that much bigger then 09? I mean, he's a lot bigger then his first couple years, but I really don't think he's gotten much if any bigger since he's entered his prime.

tmacattack33
10-19-2012, 02:30 AM
I think he's slowed down a little bit. Not really because of muscle, i'm a gym rat/old track star (ok, not really a star but i was decent) and muscle doesn't make you slow down if it's pure muscle and not fat.

I think he's just gotten a little slower due to age and wear and tear on his joints.

rodman91
10-19-2012, 02:48 AM
Hgh.

plowking
10-19-2012, 03:21 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0OQalbnPdiY

That's as a member of the Heat. Still as fast as ever in my opinion, and one of the plays that truly excited me as a Heat fan becoming accustomed to our two new stars that season; even though it was a goaltend.

Hes changed his game up, so all this eye test field reports by posters are useless. We as humans can't tell the difference when its that slight, although we can in patterns, and its obvious his game has changed with his new team.

SyRyanYang
10-19-2012, 03:21 AM
If you look closely, he and lee started at around same position at the same time.

SyRyanYang
10-19-2012, 03:23 AM

But damn what a speed
I'm sure it would make a damn good post if captured at a right angle.

plowking
10-19-2012, 03:26 AM
If you look closely, he and lee started at around same position at the same time.

Take into account Lee had forward movement, time of reaction for Lebron, and you notice that at half court Lee had a good 8 foot lead on him. Also the fact Lee could flat out go for the dunk and not slow down, where as Lebron had to make sure not to foul him.

SyRyanYang
10-19-2012, 03:55 AM
Take into account Lee had forward movement, time of reaction for Lebron, and you notice that at half court Lee had a good 8 foot lead on him. Also the fact Lee could flat out go for the dunk and not slow down, where as Lebron had to make sure not to foul him.
True, not saying he wasn't fast. But there's something more than just speed. Like co-ordination and body control. In short: Freak of nature

2swift4u
10-19-2012, 04:51 AM
I guess he's a little bit slower these days but his speed is still impressive.

inclinerator
10-19-2012, 05:52 AM
he ran like lee had the last bucket of fried chicken

pauk
10-19-2012, 07:40 AM
4.4 sec 40 yard dash is not a fluke...

I think he's just toned down his play. He paces himself and plays more in control. When he has too he can still turn those jets on though

This.

TheNaturalWR
10-19-2012, 07:42 AM
4.4 sec 40 yard dash is not a fluke...

This.

He doesn't run a 4.4. Don't be stupid.

arifgokcen
10-19-2012, 07:47 AM
Yeah he can run 4.4

nathanjizzle
10-19-2012, 08:17 AM

sorry plowking, but it seems you have never played a descent game of basketball in your life. to say a player on a fastbreak with the ball has an equal opportunity of speed as a chasing defender.

pauk
10-19-2012, 08:36 AM

It is kindof mindboggling indeed, but it is true... Lebron was measured at an average of 4.4 sec in the 40 yard dash test at the combine in 2003 after 3 tries, his best was closer to 4.3 sec... its in his "Believe the hype" book and the 4.4 sec time is confirmed all over the internet, compare that to the 40 yard dash time world record times: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/40-yard_dash ... notice that all are between 5'5" and 6'2", widerecievers and so on...

Lebron might not have/had the fastest quickness, darting here and there like a fly (aka Iverson, Rose and so on), but from one end to the other of the court.... he will kill you...

stax
10-19-2012, 08:57 AM

But damn what a speed

You can call it posterized if a photo of the play would make a good poster. :confusedshrug:

http://www4.pictures.gi.zimbio.com/LeBron+James+Cleveland+Cavaliers+v+Orlando+i_pzoVc QehBl.jpg

http://www.straitpinkie.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/07/courtney-lee-dunks-on-lebron-james-game-3.jpg

http://blog.cleveland.com/cavs_impact/2009/05/medium_lbjleedrivetb.jpg

Ikill
10-19-2012, 11:49 AM
Lebrons lost a good amount of athleticism the difference is clear and very noticeable. People won't admit it because he's still so good if this was any other player no would be denying something so obvious.

Ikill
10-19-2012, 11:51 AM

That's as a member of the Heat. Still as fast as ever in my opinion, and one of the plays that truly excited me as a Heat fan becoming accustomed to our two new stars that season; even though it was a goaltend.

Hes changed his game up, so all this eye test field reports by posters are useless. We as humans can't tell the difference when its that slight, although we can in patterns, and its obvious his game has changed with his new team.
not that impressive

CavaliersFTW
10-19-2012, 11:53 AM
...its in my Bible, his "Believe the hype" book...
Yep... a book called "Believe the hype"... sounds like a quality read full of "facts" :lol

eliteballer
10-19-2012, 11:55 AM
Ask yourself this: does that video look like what players move like on TV? Courtney Lee himself looks like Iverson in that.

pauk
10-19-2012, 01:06 PM
Yep... a book called "Believe the hype"... sounds like a quality read full of "facts" :lol

It is full with quotes & facts... i heard and read very many other places that Lebron indeed ran a 4.4 sec 40 yard dash time, not sure what you are trying to say anyways? You dont believe it?

gyu
10-19-2012, 01:21 PM
I'm sure Courtney runs faster without dribbling as well though, especially for a shooting guard with average handles at best.

Rake2204
10-19-2012, 01:40 PM

Hes changed his game up, so all this eye test field reports by posters are useless. We as humans can't tell the difference when its that slight, although we can in patterns, and its obvious his game has changed with his new team.To be honest, I do not believe that link to be a great example. In contrast, I always felt this sequence (on the dribble) was a great showcase of his speed abilities: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0ymWeSe-TgY

Ikill
10-19-2012, 02:36 PM
To be honest, I do not believe that link to be a great example. In contrast, I always felt this sequence (on the dribble) was a great showcase of his speed abilities: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0ymWeSe-TgY
that was a better example

che guevara
10-19-2012, 07:41 PM
that was a better example
Still nowhere near some of the fast breaks I've seen from his Cleveland days though. Compare it to a dunk like this and it looks like he's laboring:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SyBT7xEdnAw

Also his speed on chasedowns from his Cavs days was clearly superior, look how easily he gets up the court here:

www.youtube.com/watch?v=5od9O8kPtEc#t=0m38s

Rake2204
10-19-2012, 08:57 PM
Still nowhere near some of the fast breaks I've seen from his Cleveland days though. Compare it to a dunk like this and it looks like he's laboring:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SyBT7xEdnAw

Also his speed on chasedowns from his Cavs days was clearly superior, look how easily he gets up the court here:

www.youtube.com/watch?v=5od9O8kPtEc#t=0m38sBoth of those were good examples but I do have some off topic beef with the second clip. When they show replays of chasedown blocks, there's always announcers who say, "He has no business being in those plays, look how far away he is." They said the same thing for Tayshaun Prince (and I love the Pistons and that Prince block). But I just don't find it that amazing to know they made up that space. To me, that's how chasedown blocks work. A speeding defender is trailing an offensive player either slightly slowed by having to dribble, accelerating while the defender is in a sprint, or dealing with a separate defender besides the trailer.

I mean, it's an awesome play regardless, but I just never found the "distance" between one player and another to be the spectacular thing.

RoseCity07
10-19-2012, 09:23 PM
There's a highlight mix of Wade where Wade looks like he was shot out of a cannon. That doesn't even look real either. Looks like fast forward.

Ai2death
10-20-2012, 03:09 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=62sVb8_OcNc&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Money 23
10-20-2012, 03:15 AM
There is two examples from the same game of LeBron's speed and quickness.

Both come in game 3, 1st round v.s. the Bulls (2010)

One's a head of steam transition dunk where he blows past Deng and throws it down on the entire Bulls roster.

The other is where out of a triple threat he ZOOMS past Kirk Hinrich, one of the best and quickest on ball defenders in the game.

Shame he doesn't have those 2008, 2009, and 2010 abilities now. Miami would be down right frightening if LeBron had the physical abilities to score whenever he wanted to again in the half court.

Eric Cartman
10-20-2012, 03:31 AM

One's a head of steam transition dunk where he blows past Deng and throws it down on the entire Bulls roster.

The other is where out of a triple threat he ZOOMS past Kirk Hinrich, one of the best and quickest on ball defenders in the game.

Shame he doesn't have those 2008, 2009, and 2010 abilities now. Miami would be down right frightening if LeBron had the physical abilities to score whenever he wanted to again in the half court.

Yeah except he does. He hasn't lost anything he is 27 for f*cks sake. Add in the fact that he is a better post player now than he ever was.

Money 23
10-20-2012, 03:35 AM
Yeah except he does. He hasn't lost anything he is 27 for f*cks sake. Add in the fact that he is a better post player now than he ever was.
He's lost a lot of physical abilities. He's not near this quick and explosive.

He's 27, but he has ten years of NBA mileage on his body. That isn't a regular 27 year old.

He scores most of his buckets off transition baskets and free throws.

Pointguard
10-20-2012, 12:40 PM
Seeing Lebron live makes you blink to adjust your reality scans.

He and Derrick Rose seem distinguishably different from anybody else in real time. You would think Lebron could run into a brick house with his speed and power.

eliteballer
10-20-2012, 01:51 PM
There's a highlight mix of Wade where Wade looks like he was shot out of a cannon. That doesn't even look real either. Looks like fast forward.

:applause: :applause: :applause: People don't understand the difference between "real time" and video frame rates.

che guevara
10-20-2012, 02:33 PM

Yeah, he was looking as explosive as he ever had in the '10 playoffs, but it's like he used it up or something because his athleticism evaporated after the 2010 playoffs were over. Usually it's a gradual decline over a few years, but with Lebron it happened in 3-4 months during the offseason.

Money 23
10-20-2012, 02:38 PM
Yeah, he was looking as explosive as he ever had in the '10 playoffs, but it's like he used it up or something because his athleticism evaporated after the 2010 playoffs were over. Usually it's a gradual decline over a few years, but with Lebron it happened in 3-4 months during the offseason.
I know, it was so weird.

Actually his athleticism and quickness was still there for his preseason games as a member of the Heat v.s. Detroit and Atlanta ... then it just disappeared.

Obviously he's still really athletic, but his quickness and first step is no where NEAR where it used to be.

In 2011 it was atrocious, in 2012 it started to get a little bit better. I don't know if that first year he was partying a lot down on South Beach? Gained weight? Maybe had some lingering annoyances in his legs or knees that we weren't privy about as fans?

Either way, the decline was noticeable. And it came sudden, and quick.

Pointguard
10-20-2012, 07:15 PM
Both of those were good examples but I do have some off topic beef with the second clip. When they show replays of chasedown blocks, there's always announcers who say, "He has no business being in those plays, look how far away he is." They said the same thing for Tayshaun Prince (and I love the Pistons and that Prince block). But I just don't find it that amazing to know they made up that space. To me, that's how chasedown blocks work. A speeding defender is trailing an offensive player either slightly slowed by having to dribble, accelerating while the defender is in a sprint, or dealing with a separate defender besides the trailer.

I mean, it's an awesome play regardless, but I just never found the "distance" between one player and another to be the spectacular thing.

Tayshaun caught a retiring Reggie Miller (Reggie wasn't fast 15 years before Tay cuaght him), And it got a lot of play. It was never a habit of anybody else I could recall because its a hard thing to catch somebody from behind. Lebron was catching guards and these guys have great gauge of what they can get away with and they are usually totally stunned that he caught them. There's another thread here of a poster talking about how fast these guys are that can barely score 2 ppg in the league. Pippen, Jordan, Barkley and Hakeem were super freaks and they weren't catching people from behind in the fast break era, I'm sure they did but it was infrequently at best. And Lebron was doing it with regularity for like three years. Its real freaky stuff. And Lebron has caught Road Runners like Chris Paul and Westbrook.

Money 23
10-20-2012, 07:46 PM
Pippen, Jordan, Barkley and Hakeem were super freaks and they weren't catching people from behind in the fast break era, I'm sure they did but it was infrequently at best.
You missed it when MJ as a 39 year old in 2002, ran down Ron Mercer and pinned his ish on the glass?

che guevara
10-20-2012, 10:44 PM
You missed it when MJ as a 39 year old in 2002, ran down Ron Mercer and pinned his ish on the glass?

Pippen, Jordan, Barkley and Hakeem were super freaks and they weren't catching people from behind in the fast break era, I'm sure they did but it was infrequently at best.
The same way you missed the key word.

Meticode
10-20-2012, 10:57 PM
That's not a posterize. LeBron came from behind by like 20 feet and caught up and almost got hte block and was behind him. I think for a poster you have to be at least to the side of the dunker.

Hoopz2332
10-26-2014, 12:42 PM
http://giant.gfycat.com/UnawareClearcutHarvestmouse.gif

STATUTORY
10-26-2014, 01:01 PM
http://giant.gfycat.com/UnawareClearcutHarvestmouse.gif

:roll: :roll: :roll: @ this double dribbling nikka

everyone is fast when you can just run with the ball like you are marshawn lynch.