PDA

View Full Version : ISPs ready to crack down on piracy

daily
10-22-2012, 11:31 PM
(CNN) -- It is about to get a bit more difficult to illegally download TV shows, movies or music online.
A new alert system, rolling out over the next two months, will repeatedly warn and possibly punish people violating digital copyrights. The Copyright Alert System was announced last July and has been four years in the making.
If you use AT&T, Cablevision, Comcast, Time Warner, or Verizon as your Internet service provider, you could receive the first of one of these notes starting in the next two months.
The Internet provider is delivering the message, but the legwork is being done by the copyright owners, which will monitor peer-to-peer networks such as BitTorrent.
They use a service called MarkMonitor, which uses a combination of people and automated systems to spot illegal downloading. It will collect the IP addresses of offenders, but no personal information. The IP addresses are turned over to the Internet providers, which will match up the address with the right customer and send the notification.
The warning system is described as a graduated response. First the Internet provider will let the customer know that their Internet connection is being used do download content illegally. The note will include information to steer them away from their life of crime, including tips on how they can download content legally.
There will also be tips on securing Internet connections, just in case you were unaware that your neighbor was downloading season three of "Dexter" using your unprotected wireless network.
"The progressive series of alerts is designed to make consumers aware of activity that has occurred using their Internet accounts, educate them on how they can prevent such activity from happening again," the CCI said in its announcement today.
After the educational phase, the customers will be asked to acknowledge that they received the warning. If they continue to download content illegally, the alerts will threaten mild punishments, such as forcing the copyright violator to read "educational materials," or throttling their Internet connection so that it is slow, making it harder to download large files.
Today's announcement claims that terminating the Internet service is not one of the options.
If a customer feels they are being wrongly accused, they can ask for a review, which will cost them $35 according to the Verge.

http://www.cnn.com/2012/10/18/tech/web/copyright-alert-system/index.html

bigkingsfan
10-22-2012, 11:34 PM
Usenet is the safest and private torrent site would be okay too. Don't be a dumbass and download from piratebay.

Meticode
10-22-2012, 11:34 PM
Just purchase a VPN, they're like $10 a month for some of them.

Meticode
10-22-2012, 11:35 PM
Usenet is the safest and private torrent site would be okay too. Don't be a dumbass and download from piratebay.
It's okay to download from pirate bay if you use a VPN, if you use a Usenet service like Giganews they usually have VPNs for free with your Usenet account.

BankShot
10-22-2012, 11:36 PM
Just purchase a VPN, they're like $10 a month for some of them.

After some preliminary reading, this seems like the best option.

Its more cost effective than ordering premium cable channels while also going to RedBox, and seems to be relatively safe in terms of piracy issues.

Meticode
10-22-2012, 11:37 PM
After some preliminary reading, this seems like the best option.

Its more cost effective than ordering premium cable channels while also going to RedBox, and seems to be relatively safe in terms of piracy issues.
Yep, since I've used it I've had zero issues. You just have to make sure it has data encryption. At most your ISP will see how much data you're using, but they won't be able to tell what you're downloading.

bigkingsfan
10-22-2012, 11:39 PM
It's okay to download from pirate bay if you use a VPN, if you use a Usenet service like Giganews they usually have VPNs for free with your Usenet account.

VPN speeds would be my main concern, if I can't get the full speed from my isp, it's simply not worth it.

Meticode
10-22-2012, 11:42 PM
VPN speeds would be my main concern, if I can't get the full speed from my isp, it's simply not worth it.
True, when I download a movie without a VPN I can get about 4.5mb/sec, usually can download a 7GB movie in about 20-30 minutes. With the VPN it's at 2.5mb/sec, Not really that big of a deal for me. A lot of of torrents don't even max out your bandwidth because usually I download newer torrents that don't have a ton of seeders and a lot of leechers.

IGOTGAME
10-22-2012, 11:43 PM
The days of torrenting seem to be coming to an end. Sad but true. Just not worth the risk for me right now.

Hopefully, I can find a way to get the latest episodes of Downton Abbey without torrents.

highwhey
10-22-2012, 11:44 PM
Hey guys, is downloading from piratebay(using bittorent app) on my phone ok? Will verizon turn me in? I've downloaded a crapload of stuff this way. I have 4g which happens to be much quicker than.home internet.

Loneshot
10-22-2012, 11:44 PM
Looks like i'll be using a lot more Letmwatchthis and Ant Video Downloader.

Meticode
10-22-2012, 11:47 PM
Hey guys, is downloading from piratebay(using bittorent app) on my phone ok? Will verizon turn me in? I've downloaded a crapload of stuff this way. I have 4g which happens to be much quicker than.home internet.
It's not Verizon, it's the trackers that sniff your IP. Basically what happens is this...

You download a torrent
While downloading the torrent you upload some of that torrent to other users
A tracker logs your IP
That tracker/sniffer finds out what your ISP is through your IP
They contact your ISP and say "Hey, this SoB is downloading illegal shit through your service, please have them stop or we will pressure you harder."
Your ISP sends you an email or letter usually about 3 times to tel you to stop

In all honesty the ISP doesn't care what you download, you're paying for their service, it's the fact that they are getting pressured from companies trying to protect the copyright laws.

irondarts
10-22-2012, 11:53 PM
It's not Verizon, it's the trackers that sniff your IP. Basically what happens is this...

You download a torrent
A tracker logs your IP
They contact your ISP and say "Hey, this SoB is downloading illegal shit through your service, please have them stop or we will pressure you harder."

In all honesty the ISP doesn't care what you download, you're paying for their service, it's the fact that they are getting pressured from companies trying to protect the copyright laws.
My GF has had her internet shut off twice by her ISP (Century Link) because they got pressured, they told her if they get another complaint they will drop her service permanently, now she won't DL anything anymore. My provider (Cable One) doesn't give a shit though. Probably just depends on your provider.

Meticode
10-22-2012, 11:55 PM
My GF has had her internet shut off twice by her ISP (Century Link) because they got pressured, they told her if they get another complaint they will drop her service permanently, now she won't DL anything anymore. My provider (Cable One) doesn't give a shit though. Probably just depends on your provider.
It does depend on the provider. I got 3 warnings from Charter, I switched to a VPN and Usenet and haven't gotten a single complaint in 2 years now.

highwhey
10-22-2012, 11:58 PM

You download a torrent
A tracker logs your IP

Thanks for explaining it to me.

That sucks.butt...i usually use download about 25-30gb a month through my phone. Guess i'll be more careful.

IGOTGAME
10-22-2012, 11:58 PM

You download a torrent
A tracker logs your IP

some of this is true. BUT, some people are actually suing people who download torrents. They are getting people's information and then suiting them in large numbers.

bigkingsfan
10-22-2012, 11:59 PM
switched to usenet last year. cant switch back to torrents
i use astraweb ssl

:rockon:

Usenet is definitely the place to go if you want to get your content quick. Sunday night TV shows are up after 2 hours they are shown. Always max out your speed, don't have to rely on seeders.

highwhey
10-23-2012, 12:02 AM
Lol everytime.i'm over at my friends house i download torrents through her wifi, she has century link as well. Although she's never received a complaint from them. We're in AZ too.

abuC
10-23-2012, 12:39 AM
switched to usenet last year. cant switch back to torrents
i use astraweb ssl

:rockon:

The best part is your ISP has no clue what you're downloading.

IGOTGAME
10-23-2012, 12:42 AM
The best part is your ISP has no clue what you're downloading.

why is that your biggest concern? they can get your info from other sources.

Meticode
10-23-2012, 12:45 AM
As long as you have a VPN, which a lot of Usenet services offer, they can't see what you're downloading.

IGOTGAME
10-23-2012, 12:47 AM
As long as you have a VPN, which a lot of Usenet services offer, they can't see what you're downloading.

Does whoever provides the VPN have access to the information?

The issue shouldn't be whether or not your ISP finds out...it should be whether or not I get sued and have to settle or hire counsel. Either course of action is going to cost several thousand dollars.

Edwin
10-23-2012, 12:48 AM
for those of you using usenet and for those of us ignorant to usenet, tell us a little more.

like one would where would one interested in such a thing go to register? how much does it cost? what type of things will be able to find there? would i be able to find british comedy shows on there? how does it work in general? do i have to wait on seeders to download stuff?

thank you greatly in advance.

abuC
10-23-2012, 12:50 AM

Read up on how usenet works, they cannot see what I'm downloading, for all they know I'm a video editor and need to download 10-20gb files. If you cannot prove I'm downloading movies, you cannot pull my service.

They can't get my info from any sources, I'm on a VPN with SSL, good luck.

maybeshewill13
10-23-2012, 12:55 AM
Private torrent sites FTW

Myth
10-23-2012, 12:57 AM
So it sounds like I am safe continuing ripping music straight from Youtube. Awesome.

Meticode
10-23-2012, 01:14 AM
So it sounds like I am safe continuing ripping music straight from Youtube. Awesome.
Ewww.

joe
10-23-2012, 01:24 AM
Copyright rulings like this are a great example of how big business uses the government to keep itself fat and rich. If music/movies wasn't able to be copyrighted, these movie and record studios would be seeing much skinnier checks by now, if not being altogether rendered obsolete in the new world of file sharing. But nope, go to the government, have them expand copyright legislation... and now you can sue your competitors, arrest their consumers, and hold back an entire industry from evolving and improving with modern technology. Sad.

tomtucker
10-23-2012, 01:39 AM

right, you just have to get a different provider, one of the smaller companys perhaps.....

RoseCity07
10-23-2012, 01:39 AM
This won't completely stop pirating. Never under estimate young people. Kids are too smart. They will always circumvent security. It will scare enough people away from torrent sites. It's not going to stop modders from downloading Halo 4 a month early.

Rose
10-23-2012, 01:49 AM
still....not worried. good luck cracking down on VPNs in the future.:lol

maybeshewill13
10-23-2012, 01:51 AM
Invites?

I don't trust anyone with my invites :lol Anyone ****s up and I lose my accounts too.

sunsfan1357
10-23-2012, 01:53 AM
Damn how do y'all download stuff so fast?! It took me like a full day to download Homeland in 720p :(

ripthekik
10-23-2012, 02:18 AM
I don't believe torrents will come to an end. I cannot imagine that day...

Loneshot
10-23-2012, 02:21 AM
I've been downloading like nuts from Piratebay and i haven't gotten a notice...well, not recently, got one some months back. Think i'll calm down until i can find a new route.

I'm not paying for any VPN or usenet though. Why would i pay to steal? WTF lol

Myth
10-23-2012, 02:25 AM
Ewww.

:confusedshrug:

Meticode
10-23-2012, 02:25 AM
I've been downloading like nuts from Piratebay and i haven't gotten a notice...well, not recently, got one some months back. Think i'll calm down until i can find a new route.

I'm not paying for any VPN or usenet though. Why would i pay to steal? WTF lol
More variety and speeds.

TheeBeast
10-23-2012, 02:27 AM
So what are the ISPs gonna do when they find out 6 in 10 of their customers download torrents?

They aren't stupid enough to do anything, just scare you :cheers:

Jello
10-23-2012, 02:40 AM
Usenet sucks. Anything old always ends up damaged or corrupt. It was pretty bad.

bigkingsfan
10-23-2012, 02:43 AM
Usenet sucks. Anything old always ends up damaged or corrupt. It was pretty bad.
You're doing it wrong or your provider sucks.

Jello
10-23-2012, 02:48 AM
You're doing it wrong or your provider sucks.
I'm pretty sure I wasn't doing it wrong and it was giganews.

bigkingsfan
10-23-2012, 02:51 AM
There are many uploads of the same exact content. Are you repairing the corrupted files with pars?

Legend of Josh
10-23-2012, 02:53 AM
Hey ISP's, suck our *****! (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bjDkYYmr_Wo)

Dude, like it'a already been said, it's not the ISPs. Do you really think they want this shit? It's costing them additional money to send all these letters out of customers, and it will likely piss many of them off and they end up cancelling or switching their service b/c at this point they're probably unaware all ISPs are now being required to adhere to this.

The ISPs gain nothing positive from this outcome, so quit your bitchin' being a hot-head and erupting before checking your facts and please, please don't blame the poor, sweet little innocent ISPs, ummmm k?

Seriously though - I can't stand ISPs and their practices, but it's just the nature of the beast. It just so happens, this time 'round, the ISPs want exactly what the common ISP customer wants, and that's the government and private watchdog agencies out of our donkey screwing business. I think I heard that somewhere, like in Japan people are getting so damn serious jail time if they're caught pirating; any truth to that?

Jello
10-23-2012, 02:55 AM
There are many uploads of the same exact content. Are you repairing the corrupted files with pars?
It was a while ago. If giganews emails me with another free trial, I'll look up repairing with pars.

bigkingsfan
10-23-2012, 02:58 AM
Uploads have pars files associated to them, some newsreader have built in repair if you have their par files like Grabit. To manually repair the files yourself, you will need quickpar. You're ****ed if you download a bunch of rar files, and one is corrupted, that's where par files come in.

Legend of Josh
10-23-2012, 03:08 AM
It's a lost cause really, for these morons who can't see the forest for the trees (the ones trying to stop pirating. They're so focused on stopping it, they've lost sight or the simple common sense that all you can do is slow the beast down; you can't stop it. Someone, somewhere will invent some new type or successful method to illegally downloading music and movies (games too, or whatever else).

It's the same thing with hackers, etc. Why do you think Norton and all the followers in the industry create and implement new software every six to twelve months? Alright, yes of course, to make additional money, but the truth of the matter is they need those new updates annually or even as early as every six months. The concept and reality behind pirating is no different really.

Legend of Josh
10-23-2012, 03:38 AM
Hey LoJ, suck our *****! (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bjDkYYmr_Wo)

It's a joke man, you can chill.

:oldlol:

I see here that you only just now discovered the awesomeness that is Workaholics, and you want to create multiple posts where you drop the same youtube vid, I suppose as a means to have people think you're cool. (joke, just messin')

"Hey, that video was funny Anti! ... man, what is that?"

Anti: "Oh, you know, just this new TV show that I FOUND BEFORE ALL OF YOU AND JUST BE THANKFUL I SHARED IT WITH YOU!"

_____

That's enough pancake smacking between us for one day. You're the anti-hero, which isn't fair because you get to be Dr. Doom if you wanted. He's the baddest of them all, ask Krispy Kreme. Since I have to play the hero part, I guess I'll be Bobby Digital.

Bobby Digital hung Anti-Hero (in this case, you chose the White Queen, also known as Emma Frost) with an analog cable that was lying around. Her (his) body now just lying on the ground. Soul probably having a little fun flying around. If she released an album, you damn right, I'm buying the sound. I got my eye on the town, the city loves watching me, but when I spy I can't be found!

Yes I did cry, tears were abound. Why can't I just die, by fire or drown? Raphael pass me your sai, time to murder this clown. LOJ, I do not lie, Splinter said with a frown. Tell me why, why do you deserve the crown? Master, as I look up at the sky, my chest begins to pound. The Dolphins had a bye, Matt Cain took the mound. Armstrong, dope fiend stay high, what a ****ing clown.

Legend of Josh
10-23-2012, 04:24 AM
I think you took this all too seriously.. It's just a goof man. I like your in depth posts though. You bring smiles to my day and for that I thank you.

I'm not being serious.

RedBlackAttack
10-23-2012, 05:03 AM
The days of torrenting seem to be coming to an end. Sad but true. Just not worth the risk for me right now.

Hopefully, I can find a way to get the latest episodes of Downton Abbey without torrents.
Private trackers are as safe now as they were five years ago. Just use your head and there is nothing to worry about.

ErhnamDjinn
10-23-2012, 06:24 AM
they recentlly signed the cybercrime law in the phillippines which punishes downloading movies and music. It got put on a TRO by the supreme court due to a provision in it which made online libel a criminal offense. All this due to a jack a$$ senator being butt hurt for being called out for plagarism.But due to the actual vaguness of the law you could get jailed for liking a libelous post of someone else by just agreeing to it. Also the cyber sex law also was not well defined and made it a crime to say webcam you and your gf/wife even if it was consensual. hopefuly this isnt the end of torrenting in the phil. and you get warnings first not the police knocking on your door to take u to jail.

dunksby
10-23-2012, 06:31 AM
they recentlly signed the cybercrime law in the phillippines which punishes downloading movies and music. It got put on a TRO by the supreme court due to a provision in it which made online libel a criminal offense. All this due to a jack a$$ senator being butt hurt for being called out for plagarism.But due to the actual vaguness of the law you could get jailed for liking a libelous post of someone else by just agreeing to it. Also the cyber sex law also was not well defined and made it a crime to say webcam you and your gf/wife even if it was consensual. hopefuly this isnt the end of torrenting in the phil. and you get warnings first not the police knocking on your door to take u to jail.
Don't worry none of that will happen, from my experience this type of ambiguous laws are usually passed to reduce pressure on the government. Passing laws is easy enforcing them is costly and consuming.

niko
10-23-2012, 08:29 AM
Time Warner is not doing this. I remember specifically talking to people there, we had criminal complaints (like real crimes) we helped the police get information for. It's time consuming and expensive. The request then came from hollywood to do this for EVERY customer and everything they downloaded. The response was

1) **** you

UNLESS

2) We'll do it if you pay for workers to sift through everything. A lot of workers.

#2 has no chance of happening.

I think this is puffing smoke.

ace23
10-23-2012, 09:31 AM
Does this shit apply to zip files?

Meticode
10-23-2012, 09:52 AM
Here's what i used...

Giganews as the provider
NBZ Matrix as the .nzb size to download from
Alt.Binz as the program

I never had a corrupt file as long as I downloaded the .pars and had them repaired with Alt.Binz.

Meticode
10-23-2012, 09:53 AM
Does this shit apply to zip files?
Yes, if the zip file has copyrighted material in it.

Legend of Josh
10-23-2012, 09:54 AM
Time Warner is not doing this. I remember specifically talking to people there, we had criminal complaints (like real crimes) we helped the police get information for. It's time consuming and expensive. The request then came from hollywood to do this for EVERY customer and everything they downloaded. The response was

1) **** you

UNLESS

2) We'll do it if you pay for workers to sift through everything. A lot of workers.

#2 has no chance of happening.

I think this is puffing smoke.

Link?

Maybe you're the one puffing smoke, dude. I'm pretty sure you made up that 1) ... 2) ... 3) response letter. You post this stuff as if you conducted these experiment trails yourself. Answer me this, sir. Do you work alone, or do you require a staff of highly trained, lowly paid, dumb jerks who know damn well they work under you but refuse to call you Leader, or Big Boss Man! Hell, they are your subordinates, are they not, sir?

OMG, FYI, ATM I just realized you don't even have a link. For the record, just so we're all clear, there never was a link to your claims. Maybe you did read all this somewhere, but coming from you, an actual link would make the perfect complement. I love you, you love mink, I so purdy please make me a dwink...

*wink* *wink*

http://www.606studios.com/bendisboard/images/smilies/new6-05/jackoff.gif

*link* *link*

:yaohappy:

blablabla
10-23-2012, 09:55 AM
has anyone ever had to pay a fine because of piracy??

IGOTGAME
10-23-2012, 10:09 AM
has anyone ever had to pay a fine because of piracy??

My family was sued and had to file pleadings. .

niko
10-23-2012, 10:32 AM
Link?

Maybe you're the one puffing smoke, dude. I'm pretty sure you made up that 1) ... 2) ... 3) response letter. You post this stuff as if you conducted these experiment trails yourself. Answer me this, sir. Do you work alone, or do you require a staff of highly trained, lowly paid, dumb jerks who know damn well they work under you but refuse to call you Leader, or Big Boss Man! Hell, they are your subordinates, are they not, sir?

OMG, FYI, ATM I just realized you don't even have a link. For the record, just so we're all clear, there never was a link to your claims. Maybe you did read all this somewhere, but coming from you, an actual link would make the perfect complement. I love you, you love mink, I so purdy please make me a dwink...

*wink* *wink*

http://www.606studios.com/bendisboard/images/smilies/new6-05/jackoff.gif

*link* *link*

:yaohappy:

I don't care if you believe me or not. You also can believe they are doing this is you like. I don't work at TWC, i have friends and collesgues who worked there, we were the same company until the spin off. I know people who allocated IT resources (including someone who moved to our group), and they did so for the police, and got a request to look for some specific shows for all the customers, and they rejected it because it was too pricey to do.

You asking for a link is so stupid it's not even funny. I HAD A ****ING CONVERSATION WITH SOMEONE. Do your conversations have links?

Again, you don't have to believe me..doesn't bother me. Just don't download.

DeuceWallaces
10-23-2012, 10:39 AM
I'm pretty sure I wasn't doing it wrong and it was giganews.

Then you're lying. GigaNews has been tops for many years. They have nearly perfect retention for up to 1,000 days if I remember correct.

Anyway, I don't see how this is any different than before. They've been checking IP's through P2P and sending out letters for years now. I've gotten a few of them.

This doesn't seem any different than before.

niko
10-23-2012, 10:45 AM
Then you're lying. GigaNews has been tops for many years. They have nearly perfect retention for up to 1,000 days if I remember correct.

Anyway, I don't see how this is any different than before. They've been checking IP's through P2P and sending out letters for years now. I've gotten a few of them.

This doesn't seem any different than before.

:confusedshrug: Whatever. Yes, i have an agenda to lie to protect people from knowing the truth about TWC, because i'm just like that. Even though we spun them off as a different company and nothing there affects me anymore.

Gina Carano
10-23-2012, 10:46 AM
have gotten 2 emails from my intenet provider, but that was around 3 years ago, got them like in 2 weeks apart.. they never said anything about getting a third and disconnecting my internet.. *touch wood*