PDA

View Full Version : OKC's big mistake was Kendrick Perkins

Clippersfan86
10-28-2012, 01:36 PM
http://probasketballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/10/28/oklahoma-citys-big-mistake/

Good read. Basically says trading for and extending Perkins is what sabotaged keeping Harden. Also the team knew these contracts were coming up yet still didn't amnesty Kendrick before the deadline, even after his terrible playoff showing.

MontaHardaway
10-28-2012, 01:45 PM

Good read. Basically says trading for and extending Perkins is what sabotaged keeping Harden. Also the team knew these contracts were coming up yet still didn't amnesty Kendrick before the deadline, even after his terrible playoff showing.
:facepalm at Thunder GM. That fat-sack-of-sh*it cost them Jeff Green and James Harden?!

and for what? The Celtics runs he was apart of were mostly a fluke anyway with minimal contribution from him.

:biggums:

If Durant and Westbrook can still keep this team at the same level, that would be incredible, but it just got harder without Harden.

EnoughSaid
10-28-2012, 01:47 PM
Ibaka could easily play center in this league. A lineup of Westbrook/Harden/Durant/Green/Ibaka would have destroyed.

50inchvertical
10-28-2012, 01:48 PM
Perkins is terrible now and only living off reputation. Arguably his best yr here was his first, when he was on 1 leg (and that one wasn't even 100%) and well overweight.

Somehow he continues to lose weight, but isn't getting any faster or more athletic. ANd I don't get how he manages to turn the ball over so much when he is wide open. It's comically bad.

At the same time, our rotation now is Perkins and Thabeet, and prior to the trade it was going to be Aldrich is we felt the need to back him up with a real center, but we usually (and it;s the right decision since those dudes SUCK) steal minutes with Collison at some 5 and Ibaka gets some minutes there

Clippersfan86
10-28-2012, 01:56 PM
Perkins is terrible now and only living off reputation. Arguably his best yr here was his first, when he was on 1 leg (and that one wasn't even 100%) and well overweight.

Somehow he continues to lose weight, but isn't getting any faster or more athletic. ANd I don't get how he manages to turn the ball over so much when he is wide open. It's comically bad.

At the same time, our rotation now is Perkins and Thabeet, and prior to the trade it was going to be Aldrich is we felt the need to back him up with a real center, but we usually (and it;s the right decision since those dudes SUCK) steal minutes with Collison at some 5 and Ibaka gets some minutes there

Collison has been your most productive post player for years off the bench and his adjusted numbers crush Perkins. I would have amnestied Perkins and let Ibaka+Collins+Aldrich run the paint and had Harden for the future.

Lakers_Kobe_Fan
10-28-2012, 02:16 PM

perkins playing defense is so overrated....he thrived in Boston cause KG was the real defensive anchor....

remember how the clippers smacked the thunder last year every time...playing P&R...

fat a$$ cant move and cant rebound like a real center

he is the real fake tough guy in this league

iamgine
10-28-2012, 02:18 PM
I thought Perkins was brought to guard centers like Howard and Bynum. And he's been doing a pretty good job on them.

longtime lurker
10-28-2012, 02:25 PM
This. Extending Perkins was the dumbest thing the Thunder could have done. They could have used Harden to get rid of Perkins but they did well for themselves regardless.

BlackVVaves
10-28-2012, 02:27 PM
Funny thing is, Tyson was traded to OKC in 2011. Then they rescinded the trade on the premise of a failed physical, health concerns. Instead, they trade for Perkins, while Tyson goes to Dallas.

A year and a half later, Chandler is the reigning DPOY and became one of the most focal pieces to a championship team. And Perkins? A offensively handicap, defensively overrated player who each year loses a substantial amount of weight, and yet finds a way to still be one of the most slow-footed bigs in the league.

Oh, and if not for his over-paid contract, OKC would be able to have kept their core intact for years to come.

Needless to say, had OKC never rescinded that trade, they would have 1, if not 2, championships right now. Funny how things work.

Perkins is not a Howard stopper. He is a Bynum stopper, and was acquired for that exact reason. Statistically, Tyson Chandler is a Dwight stopper, for he can manage him in the post, and stay with him in pick and roll coverage. Perkins' greatest weakness, outside of offensive incompetence, is pick and roll defense. Hence the reason he was best pals with the bench when teams like the Spurs or Miami faced OKC in the post-season. The Lakers were never able to exploit this, because they have been one of the worst pick and roll teams both offensively and defensively the last few years, as their bigs were almost as a slow (in Bynum's case slower) as Perkins. With Dwight as their center - statistically the best roll man in the league according to 82games - and Nash as their point guard - statistically the 8th best point guard coming off of pick and roll screens according to 82games - Perkins is now open to seriously exploiting, if the Lakers are smart enough to do so.

Perkins is the most overrated big defensively in the league. A by-product of playing alongside one of the best defensive bigs in NBA history in Garnett, and in one of the two best defensive systems in the last 15 years in the 2008, 2010 Celtics.*

He is a great man to man post defender when guarding back-to-the-basket bigs. That's. It. He doesn't do anything else exceptionally well. He doesn't rebound greatly, he doesn't block greatly, he doesn't strip the ball greatly, he doesn't alter shots greatly, he doesn't anchor a team's defense.

Oh-ver-rate-tid.

Sadly, the one bad move of the OKC Front Office the last few years may become the most costly and profound. Perkins is overrated, overpaid, and cost OKC fans the joy of watching their youngsters grow up together and dominate the NBA for what could have been a decade.

hawkfan
10-28-2012, 02:35 PM
The Thunder should have traded or amnestied Perkins if they wanted to keep Harden, but clearly they didn't want to keep him.

5 million difference would have been easy to compromise on - the Thunder could have gone up from 54 million to 56 or 56.5 and then they would have reached a deal.

Xiao Yao You
10-28-2012, 02:42 PM
:facepalm
at Thunder GM. That fat-sack-of-sh*it cost them Jeff Green and James Harden?!

Jeff Green had to go with Ibaka, Durant and Harden around. Time will tell rather Harden is a max player or if he's more valuable than Lamb and the picks they will get not to mention Martin and the flexibility that gives them moving forward.

Whoah10115
10-28-2012, 03:40 PM
I really don't even know if Perkins is a center. He's just a straight post defender. Offensively, he's crap either way. Tho I do think he runs the floor well (seriously). He just can't do anything with the ball, when there's no one around.

Defensively, he's a straight post player. Even his positioning is...I don't know. But Ibaka better learn to do more than just block shots.

ThunderKat
10-28-2012, 03:49 PM
The Thunder need a legit low post defender with Howard in LA. If the Howard deal wouldn't have happened I think they amnesty Perkins and max Harden. The Thunder will be a better team this season. They offered Harden a heck of a deal and he wanted max money.. so good luck. I think Harden loses in the long run due to the lack of endorsement money when the rockets suck again next season. Oh well.. only time will tell, but I think this deal is really going to work out well for the Thunder.

StroShow4
10-28-2012, 03:58 PM
Perkins is terrible now

Terrible now? He's always been terrible. :oldlol:

Perkins being OKC's mistake is old news. Tried to tell everybody the day they traded for him. Got flamed.

Clippersfan86
10-28-2012, 04:07 PM

Perkins being OKC's mistake is old news. Tried to tell everybody the day they traded for him. Got flamed.

Joyner used to write how dominant his D was and how he was like the GOAT post defender of all time.. :biggums:

StroShow4
10-28-2012, 04:11 PM
Joyner used to write how dominant his D was and how he was like the GOAT post defender of all time.. :biggums:

The Celtics D was dominant primarily because of Kevin Garnett and Tom Thibodeau (look what he's done with the Bulls). Perkins was nothing but a big lummox who leaned on people, set moving screens, and struggled to swing the ball from side to side without traveling or throwing it to the other team.

Clippersfan86
10-28-2012, 04:14 PM
The Celtics D was dominant primarily because of Kevin Garnett and Tom Thibodeau (look what he's done with the Bulls). Perkins was nothing but a big lummox who leaned on people, set moving screens, and struggled to swing the ball from side to side without traveling or throwing it to the other team.

Naw... I meant when Perkins was traded to OKC Joyner defended him like a MOFO. Talking about how he anchors OKC's defense etc...

red1
10-28-2012, 04:15 PM
I love perk but anyone who paid attention during the finals knows that he was a huge liability

ThunderKat
10-28-2012, 04:19 PM
I love perk but anyone who paid attention during the finals knows that he was a huge liability

Against Miami.. no doubt. However, he will be needed to get back to the finals. The Lakers adding Howard means the Thunder had to keep him.

Segatti
10-28-2012, 04:34 PM
Against Miami.. no doubt. However, he will be needed to get back to the finals. The Lakers adding Howard means the Thunder had to keep him.

"Slow down" Dwight vs 20 points off the bench on very good efficiency and great passing

bdreason
10-28-2012, 04:34 PM
Jeff Green is hot garbage. I'd take Perkins over him.

StroShow4
10-28-2012, 04:52 PM
Jeff Green is hot garbage.

"Hot" garbage >>> whatever kind of garbage Perkins is.

LJJ
10-28-2012, 04:58 PM

There was a time when pretty much all of the major Celtics fans on this site were saying how Perkins was one of the great defensive bigs in the NBA.

BlackVVaves
10-28-2012, 05:14 PM

Against Miami, the Spurs, the Clippers, and any team that makes Perkins have to defend constant pick and rolls.

When Dwight puts his back to the basket, Perkins will be a good asset to have. When Nash and Dwight play pick and roll, Perkins is going to turn into slow, mean, fouling machine who will get outrebounded by his counterpart due to his horrible positioning as a big man and lack of consistent effort.

Perkins sole purpose on OKC was to stop Bynum, when he finally got a head on his shoulder. He has been exploited as a "center" the last two seasons, and will continue to. When your coach has to bench you for a player who makes a fraction of your salary because he literally does all but ONE thing better than you in the most important games of your season, you are the definition of liability.

Dude is a turnover machine that literally offers one aspect of the game to the team on the court. Oh, and his "veteran leadership," :roll: That certainly proved it's worth in the Finals last season. And, how many actual effective back-to-the-basket centers are there in the NBA? You can count them on one hand.

All at the discounted price of $10 Million per year :applause:

jamal99
10-28-2012, 05:34 PM

I remember that. you were being flamed hard. Everyone was raving about Perkins' incredible D, like he was some mix of Zo and Mutombo...

KDthunderup
10-28-2012, 05:35 PM
**** this stop Dwight bullshit. We should get an offensive center, the points he can score will more then outweigh the overated defence of Perkins will stop.

BlackVVaves
10-28-2012, 05:42 PM
I remember that. you were being flamed hard. Everyone was raving about Perkins' incredible D, like he was some mix of Zo and Mutombo...

Perkins isn't even a top 10 center in his own conference :oldlol:

Noof
10-28-2012, 06:04 PM
Perkins isn't even a top 10 center in his own conference :oldlol:
Howard
Jordan
Bogut
Cousins
Gortat
Marc Gasol
Pekovic
Duncan
McGee
Jefferson

You're right :yaohappy:

That isn't in any order btw, just the order that they popped into my head.

BlackVVaves
10-28-2012, 06:09 PM
Howard
Jordan
Bogut
Cousins
Gortat
Marc Gasol
Pekovic
Duncan
McGee
Jefferson

Add Asik, Anthony Davis, and Kaman to the list.

Actually, Perkins might be overall the worst starting center in the Western Conference :eek:

Wow :oldlol:

dbk123
10-28-2012, 06:17 PM
The Thunder need a legit low post defender with Howard in LA. If the Howard deal wouldn't have happened I think they amnesty Perkins and max Harden. The Thunder will be a better team this season. They offered Harden a heck of a deal and he wanted max money.. so good luck. I think Harden loses in the long run due to the lack of endorsement money when the rockets suck again next season. Oh well.. only time will tell, but I think this deal is really going to work out well for the Thunder.
harden is gonna actually start and lead a team. that would get him more exposure, not to mention jeremy lin's asian fans

ThunderKat
10-28-2012, 06:21 PM
harden is gonna actually start and lead a team. that would get him more exposure, not to mention jeremy lin's asian fans

Bro, they have to make a deep run into the playoffs to be relevant.. do you see that happening? Look at the shoe deals Lebron, Rose etc.. have gotten.. huge money, but you have to be relevant to get those types of deals. I wish Harden the best, but I think he's going to regret it when they aren't winning. I could be wrong, but I doubt it.

TheeBeast
10-28-2012, 06:29 PM
I thought Perkins was brought to guard centers like Howard and Bynum. And he's been doing a pretty good job on them.

Dwight vs. Perkins (http://www.basketball-reference.com/play-index/h2h_finder.cgi?request=1&p1=perkike01&p2=howardw01) in their last 5 games against each other: 21.4/12 on 53fg%

Playoffs: 19/14/ 3blks on 55%

I don't see how Perk makes a difference :confusedshrug:

SpecialQue
10-28-2012, 06:52 PM
Howard
Jordan
Bogut
Cousins
Gortat
Marc Gasol
Pekovic
Duncan
McGee
Jefferson

This is amazing. I feel like this is ISH's version of Penn & Teller's Bullshit. It was annoying how many people overrated and continue to overrate that frowny fvck.

BlackVVaves
10-28-2012, 06:58 PM
This is amazing. I feel like this is ISH's version of Penn & Teller's Bullshit. It was annoying how many OKC fans overrated and continue to overrate that frowny fvck.

Hmm.

BlackVVaves
10-28-2012, 07:04 PM
Dwight vs. Perkins (http://www.basketball-reference.com/play-index/h2h_finder.cgi?request=1&p1=perkike01&p2=howardw01) in their last 5 games against each other: 21.4/12 on 53fg%

Playoffs: 19/14/ 3blks on 55%

I don't see how Perk makes a difference :confusedshrug:

Perkins is one of the best defensive bigs of our time, dude is a straight Dwight stopper

:coleman:

BlackVVaves
10-28-2012, 07:08 PM
Until otherwise proven, Perkins is officially stripped of his title as a Dwight stopper. He'll have to actually earn that title this season/post-season.

He can keep the title of "most overrated center in the league" though :bowdown:

StroShow4
10-28-2012, 07:18 PM

Yup. :oldlol: :roll:

G-train
10-28-2012, 07:48 PM
Kendrick Perkins is an exceptional low post defender.
He can guard either Dwight or Bynum one on one with no help, or anyone who wants to try and back him down.
He has championship experience as a starting centre, and is a vocal anchor off the ball.

Noobs at the park don't understand the value of this. Is he a great player? No.
But he is a valuable role player if they want to win a championship.

G-train
10-28-2012, 07:49 PM
Until otherwise proven, Perkins is officially stripped of his title as a Dwight stopper. He'll have to actually earn that title this season/post-season.

He can keep the title of "most overrated center in the league" though :bowdown:

He is a proven great defender against Howard. I swear ISHers have a 10 day memory.

BlackVVaves
10-28-2012, 07:59 PM
He is a proven great defender against Howard. I swear ISHers have a 10 day memory.

No. The CELTICS were great defenders against Howard. The only benefit of Perkins comes when he defends Dwight when he plays with his back to the basket. He gets killed on pick and rolls, gets outrebounded, and pretty much holds Dwight to his season averages.

You're calling people sufferers of short term memory, when your perspective is three years outdated. Aside from that, Perkins constantly turns the ball over, and spends crucial parts of games in the post-season on the bench because he is a offensive liability and can't guard the pick and roll for shit.

And championship experience? :roll: My, how useful that was in 2011 and 2012. You're right, that veteran leadership is well worth his $10 million/year contract that ultimately costed OKC the opportunity to grow their successful core of Durant, Westbrook, Ibaka, and Harden together.

TheeBeast
10-28-2012, 08:04 PM
http://lakers.topbuzz.com/gallery/d/270065-3/Derek+Fisher+goes+down+low+to+play+defense+against +Jameer+Nelson.jpg
GOAT defender

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-zaQ78QXUKH4/T-tiTN3vfZI/AAAAAAAAABc/GVOmzbnheZE/s1600/Perkins+guards+Bynum.jpg
GOAT post defender

G-train
10-28-2012, 08:14 PM
No. The CELTICS were great defenders against Howard. The only benefit of Perkins comes when he defends Dwight when he plays with his back to the basket. He gets killed on pick and rolls, gets outrebounded, and pretty much holds Dwight to his season averages.

You're calling people sufferers of short term memory, when your perspective is three years outdated. Aside from that, Perkins constantly turns the ball over, and spends crucial parts of games in the post-season on the bench because he is a offensive liability and can't guard the pick and roll for shit.

And championship experience? :roll: My, how useful that was in 2011 and 2012. You're right, that veteran leadership is well worth his $10 million/year contract that ultimately costed OKC the opportunity to grow their successful core of Durant, Westbrook, Ibaka, and Harden together.

A factually incorrect post from a low IQ basketball mind.
You must know more than Sam Presti.
Not sure why I offer my decades of basketball experience at a high level on a website full of 16 year olds that think they know it all.
No wonder Da KO King is never around.

BlackVVaves
10-28-2012, 09:09 PM
Not sure why I offer my decades of basketball experience at a high level on a website full of 16 year olds that think they know it all.
No wonder Da KO King is never around.

:roll:

Get over yourself, go ahead and take a hike, I assure you you'll be on your own on your trail to obsolete.

Low basketball IQ, eh? Factually incorrect huh? So, is Perkin's usefulness on the court limited to defending back-to-the-basket players in an era where centers don't play much back-to-the-basket or not? Does Dwight not still average his relative season averages against Perkins over the last two seasons or not? Was KG and Tom Thibs not the primary reasons behind Boston's elite team and interior defense particularly against Dwight, or was it Perkins? Does Perkins not get outrebounded by the majority of his counterparts? Does Perkins anchor OKC's defense? Has Perkins ever anchored a defense? Is Perkins not one of the most turnover prone bigs in the NBA? Is Perkins not terrible at pick and roll defense? Did he not get exploited by the Spurs and Heat last season because of that? Is Perkins not a liability offensively and often sits on the bench while Brooks puts his most effective lineup of Ibaka, Durant, Thabo, Harden, and Westbrook on the floor? Is Perkins not one of the 4 worst starting centers in the Western Conference?

Go ahead, display your infinite wisdom built upon decades of basketball observation and answer those questions. Go check basketballreference.com or 82games.com. Supplement that with game clips from OKC games on YouTube. Show us that Perkins is well worth the contract Presti gave him.

And by the way. I don't know who you think you're speaking to, but I've been watching the NBA for two decades, chump. So quiet all that "low basketball IQ" nonsense. You aren't talking to Kennethgriffin, I actually...you know....watch the game of basketball.

Perkins was advertised as the missing piece to the Thunder's championship formula. He was sold high and bought high. Two seasons later and not only have the Thunder not won a championship, but aside from his great man defense on another athletically incompetent big in Bynum, he has served as a very minute reason why OKC has gotten where they have the last two seasons. Aside from when facing the likes of Bynum and other strictly back to the basket bigs, replace Perkins with Collison full-time and OKC doesn't miss a beat. More offensively polished, more versatile defensively, and doesn't get called for a walk every other time he tries to put the ball on the floor :oldlol:

Presto will soon rid himself of Perkins and his contract. Then what are you going to say? That Presti doesn't know what he's doing? Because when that day finally comes, it's either he was wrong for giving Perkins that contract, or wrong for getting rid of him. I doubt anything changes in terms of Perkins' performance between when he was first acquired and when he is undoubtedly let go. So what will be your divine stand then?

Spare me man. Jump off your high horse and take a dive into reality. Replace Perkins with 10 other starting centers in his own conference and OKC becomes title favorites.

Tuh.

StroShow4
10-28-2012, 09:17 PM

:rolleyes:

And this whole idea that Kendrick Perkins is some sort of Dwight Howard kryptonite is a myth. When they met in the 2010 Playoffs, Howard posted games of 28, 30, and 32 points (hell, just last season Dwight had 33 against OKC). Perkins is somewhat effective in leaning on a guy like Howard due to his size and strength, but he's no "Dwight Stopper." What little Perkins brings to the table is easily outweighed by his numerous shortcomings.

BlackVVaves
10-28-2012, 09:24 PM
I still have OKC penciled in the Finals unless this trade truly does regress them as a team. However, like last season, it will have little to nothing to do with Perkins' play at center.

Doctor Rivers
10-28-2012, 09:28 PM
Hey guys it's: Kendrick Olajuwon Abdual-Jabbar O'Neal Russell Bynum Perkins

Kujo
10-28-2012, 09:47 PM
I honestly thought Aldrich would eventually at least become the backup center with OKC, and a solid one. He's been a disappointment to say the least (dude has hardly plaid so far in his NBA career). I guess they couldn't wait to trade him. Maybe he'll blossom with Houston.

Perkin's is arguably the worst starting center in league. No doubt OKC needs to upgrade the position. Perkins is a backup center.

Whoah10115
10-28-2012, 10:17 PM
Perkin's is arguably the worst starting center in league. No doubt OKC needs to upgrade the position. Perkins is a backup center.

Kornheiser and I have always thought this. He can be a starter tho, but he's in the lower tier. Certainly serviceable in the right fit, but people are just trying to plug holes such as toughness and whatever, without thinking it thru as a basketball move.

I think Perkins would do well in Portland, next to Aldridge. But in OKC, I don't see it. He runs the floor well, I think. He just is terrible with the ball in his hands.

As it is OKC don't move the rock. Perkins makes it worse, even if it's not his mindset.

SpecialQue
10-28-2012, 10:18 PM

Who's his competition for that?

Whoah10115
10-28-2012, 10:21 PM
Who's his competition for that?

Well Anthony is no longer the starter in Miami...

StroShow4
10-28-2012, 10:34 PM
He runs the floor well, I think.

We haven't been watching the same Kendrick Perkins.

The man is a turtle in transition. Not because he doesn't hustle, but simply because he's f@cking slower than sh!t. Seriously, it's borderline painful to watch the poor guy laboring up and down the floor. Every step looks like a struggle.

Whoah10115
10-28-2012, 10:45 PM
We haven't been watching the same Kendrick Perkins.

The man is a turtle in transition. Not because he doesn't hustle, but simply because he's f@cking slower than sh!t. Seriously, it's borderline painful to watch the poor guy laboring up and down the floor. Every step looks like a struggle.

I just think he knows where to run, if that makes sense. He's got a good feel for running the floor. There were faster guys than Malone, but no one has ever run the floor better.

daily
10-28-2012, 11:11 PM
No wonder Da KO King is never around.Obviously you're the proud owner of two full length mirrors

Derka
10-28-2012, 11:38 PM

Had to hear the same shit when I made the suggestion that trading away Perkins to get a Jeff Green when we were going to lose Perkins to free agency anyway wasn't a terrible move on Danny's part.

I loved Perk in a Celtics uniform, but what made him better as a defender was having Kevin Garnett on the floor with him.

G-train
10-29-2012, 01:10 AM
:roll:

Get over yourself, go ahead and take a hike, I assure you you'll be on your own on your trail to obsolete.

Low basketball IQ, eh? Factually incorrect huh? So, is Perkin's usefulness on the court limited to defending back-to-the-basket players in an era where centers don't play much back-to-the-basket or not? Does Dwight not still average his relative season averages against Perkins over the last two seasons or not? Was KG and Tom Thibs not the primary reasons behind Boston's elite team and interior defense particularly against Dwight, or was it Perkins? Does Perkins not get outrebounded by the majority of his counterparts? Does Perkins anchor OKC's defense? Has Perkins ever anchored a defense? Is Perkins not one of the most turnover prone bigs in the NBA? Is Perkins not terrible at pick and roll defense? Did he not get exploited by the Spurs and Heat last season because of that? Is Perkins not a liability offensively and often sits on the bench while Brooks puts his most effective lineup of Ibaka, Durant, Thabo, Harden, and Westbrook on the floor? Is Perkins not one of the 4 worst starting centers in the Western Conference?

Go ahead, display your infinite wisdom built upon decades of basketball observation and answer those questions. Go check basketballreference.com or 82games.com. Supplement that with game clips from OKC games on YouTube. Show us that Perkins is well worth the contract Presti gave him.

And by the way. I don't know who you think you're speaking to, but I've been watching the NBA for two decades, chump. So quiet all that "low basketball IQ" nonsense. You aren't talking to Kennethgriffin, I actually...you know....watch the game of basketball.

Perkins was advertised as the missing piece to the Thunder's championship formula. He was sold high and bought high. Two seasons later and not only have the Thunder not won a championship, but aside from his great man defense on another athletically incompetent big in Bynum, he has served as a very minute reason why OKC has gotten where they have the last two seasons. Aside from when facing the likes of Bynum and other strictly back to the basket bigs, replace Perkins with Collison full-time and OKC doesn't miss a beat. More offensively polished, more versatile defensively, and doesn't get called for a walk every other time he tries to put the ball on the floor :oldlol:

Presto will soon rid himself of Perkins and his contract. Then what are you going to say? That Presti doesn't know what he's doing? Because when that day finally comes, it's either he was wrong for giving Perkins that contract, or wrong for getting rid of him. I doubt anything changes in terms of Perkins' performance between when he was first acquired and when he is undoubtedly let go. So what will be your divine stand then?

Spare me man. Jump off your high horse and take a dive into reality. Replace Perkins with 10 other starting centers in his own conference and OKC becomes title favorites.

Tuh.

Fail.

I stand by my comments you emo tw@t:

Kendrick Perkins is an exceptional low post defender.
He can guard either Dwight or Bynum one on one with no help, or anyone who wants to try and back him down.
He has championship experience as a starting centre, and is a vocal anchor off the ball.
He is a valuable role player if they want to win a championship.

I never claimed anything more.

G-train
10-29-2012, 01:18 AM
:rolleyes:

And this whole idea that Kendrick Perkins is some sort of Dwight Howard kryptonite is a myth. When they met in the 2010 Playoffs, Howard posted games of 28, 30, and 32 points (hell, just last season Dwight had 33 against OKC). Perkins is somewhat effective in leaning on a guy like Howard due to his size and strength, but he's no "Dwight Stopper." What little Perkins brings to the table is easily outweighed by his numerous shortcomings.

Your opinion in the subject is worth zero as your hate of Perkins blinds you.
Perkins is a great defender, and guards Dwight as good as anyone. I never called him a Dwight stopper. But he can guard him one on one.

A fact most of ISH fails to realise: Not every player is a well rounded star in the NBA. Most teams have a starter that can only do a few things well.
In fact the 2 teams in the finals started Battier, Thabo and Perkins. the Spurs start Danny Green. The Lakers start MWP. The Celtics start Brandon Bass. The Bulls won 3 titles with Luc Longley starting. Do I need to continue?
Perkins is role player, and a good role player. I'm not alone on that, Danny and Doc started him on a title team in Boston and Presti traded for him in OKC. Did he overpay? Probably. But I'd rather Perk at the 5 for 8m in win now mode than some others on bigger contracts.

noobs.

Pushxx
10-29-2012, 01:38 AM
:facepalm at Thunder GM. That fat-sack-of-sh*it cost them Jeff Green and James Harden?!

and for what? The Celtics runs he was apart of were mostly a fluke anyway with minimal contribution from him.

:biggums:

If Durant and Westbrook can still keep this team at the same level, that would be incredible, but it just got harder without Harden.

The Jeff Green moves wasn't the best, but their GM has generally made spectacular decisions, including the Harden deal considering the circumstances.

Oh and calling the Celtics runs fluky...:facepalm GTFO

raprap
10-29-2012, 08:49 AM
Perkins is up there in my overrated list. Still cant get over the fact that they traded Harden that fast :facepalm

StroShow4
10-29-2012, 08:56 AM
Your opinion in the subject is worth zero as your hate of Perkins blinds you.

You're the one who's ignoring the facts.

-Dwight puts up his regular numbers against Perkins.
-Perkins is an offensive liability: a turnover machine who leads the league in moving picks, collects technical fouls, and fails to understand that he should stop trying to score in the post. He can't finish because he completely lacks explosion, he has no hands whatsoever, and he can't outrun a slug in a footrace.
-Perkins is not a "great defender." He's a useful defender in a few select scenarios. I used to consider him a "great one-on-one defender," but that's really not even the case, as it really only applies against a handful of players, or maybe even less.
-Perkins does not rebound or block shots well. He is not a defensive anchor like a Garnett or a Howard.
-Perkins is not a "high IQ" player. He knows how to use his strength to lean on Andrew Bynum. Other than that, he's a bonehead (refer to bullet #2).

Pretty much everyone else has finally accepted that I was right all along, man. You may as well do the same before your boy gets amnestied and your hand is forced.

2swift4u
10-29-2012, 10:26 AM
I never really understood why OKC wanted Perkins. Imo he doesn't fit into this team anyway. But I'm looking forwart to see Harden as a starter in Houston.

Bigsmoke
10-29-2012, 12:25 PM
better than Nenad Krstic

BarberSchool
10-29-2012, 03:10 PM

Perkins being OKC's mistake is old news. Tried to tell everybody the day they traded for him. Got flamed.I did likewise. Called Perkins a SLOW, unathletic, stupid, bloated scowling face with no talent who lived off a false reputation as a defensive stopper and "tough guy" if I recall correctly. i also posted the Altar boy picture and made some derisive alabama-prison nativity scene rape joke.

Everyone flamed me too. :roll:

ILLsmak
10-29-2012, 03:13 PM
I did likewise. Called Perkins a SLOW, unathletic, stupid, bloated scowling face with no talent who lived off a false reputation as a defensive stopper and "tough guy" if I recall correctly. i also posted the Altar boy picture and made some derisive alabama-prison nativity scene rape joke.

Everyone flamed me too. :roll:

heh THEY MADE IT TO THE FINALS WITH PERKINS STARTING. I think Perkins, since he left Boston, has become afraid of the ball. I think he's got a complex.

But no matter what stupid shit he did, they still made it to the Finals with him playing. Keep that in mind.

-Smak

StroShow4
10-29-2012, 03:51 PM
heh THEY MADE IT TO THE FINALS DESPITE PERKINS STARTING.

Fixed.