PDA

View Full Version : Mike Brown is mind numbingly bad at coaching

no pun intended
02-11-2011, 10:00 PM
Many say that the Cleveland Cavaliers are struggling because of LeBron James's departure. If so, should Mike Brown have earned Coach of the Year honors for their victories? Because what if Mike Brown coached the Cavaliers right now instead of Byron Scott? Would that have made a difference? Would the Cavaliers still be failing? So, was Mike Brown really a good coach or did the Cavaliers just win because of LeBron James?

asdf1990
02-11-2011, 10:02 PM
Many say that the Cleveland Cavaliers are struggling because of LeBron James's departure. If so, should Mike Brown have earned Coach of the Year honors for their victories? Because what if Mike Brown coached the Cavaliers right now instead of Byron Scott? Would that have made a difference? Would the Cavaliers still be failing? So, was Mike Brown really a good coach or did the Cavaliers just win because of LeBron James?

plz tell me u are joking? mike browns playbook was give lebron the ball and get the hell out of the way.

kaiiu
02-11-2011, 10:03 PM
No. He had good defensive schemes but he was so stubborn that if even the schemes were failing like in 09 against Orlando and 10 against Celtics, he wont adjust at all. Lets not even get started on his offense:facepalm

Lebron23
02-11-2011, 10:05 PM

Byron Scott also won the NBA Coach of the year, and he also led the Nets in the 2002 and 2003 NBA Finals.

Scott is a better coach than Brown.

Warriors fan
02-11-2011, 10:06 PM
he was okay Bryon Scott is better

Lebron23
02-11-2011, 10:08 PM
plz tell me u are joking? mike browns playbook was give lebron the ball and get the hell out of the way.

This

http://insidehoops.com/forum/showthread.php?t=207724

Straight from Coach Brown's mouth. "you don't need to draw up plays for Bron. And sometimes the best thing is to just let him go do his thing."

Ne 1
02-11-2011, 10:46 PM
LeBron fans discount the Cavs' loss of Mike Brown and various players like Shaq, Big Z and Delonte, along with them being riddled with injuries this year all you want, but can you please explain why last year's Cavs managed to have a better record than this year's Heat after the first 52 games?

2011 Heat after 52 games- 38-14
2010 Cavs after 52 games- 41-11

Please don't use any excuses about a "period of adjustment", either. Supposedly, LeBron can join any team in the league and turn them into a 60+ win team all by himself with no regard to who is in the lineup according to his disciples. There should be no reason for the 2011 Heat to have a similar record as last year's Cavs if LeBron's previous team was truly that awful.

And if you still think the Cavs' success was solely because of LeBron, why couldn't he even make the playoffs without Mike Brown as coach?

2005: Cavs go 42-40, miss playoffs
2006: Cavs hire Mike Brown, go 50-32 and take Detroit to 7 games in the second round

Also, Cleveland managed to win 50 games and make the Finals in 2007 with LeBron posting inferior overall stats compared to his last season without Mike Brown coaching.

Lebron James in '05: 27.2 points per game, 47.2% field goal percentage, 75% free throw percentage, 35.1% three-point percentage, 7.4 rebounds, 7.2 assists and 2.2 steals per game.

Lebron James in '07: 27.3 points per game, 47.6% field goal percentage,. 69.8% free throw percentage, 31.9% 3-point percentage 6.7 rebounds per game, 6 assists per game, 1.6 steals per game.

For all the times I've heard people disparage Mike Brown, it's hard to ignore the turnaround Cleveland had when he took over. They went from missing the playoffs for consecutive seasons with LeBron, and then nearly making it to the Eastern Conference Finals the very next season with no major additions other than Larry Hughes who only played in 36 games.

I don't think the Cavs were a particularly loaded team by any stretch of the imagination, but the amount of abuse hurled towards Cleveland over the past year by LeBron supporters (who were all cheering for Cleveland last year) has been ridiculous. Cleveland's turn for the worse was a result of losing most of their front court with no legitimate replacements and the loss of their best asset and coach. They also had one of the biggest front courts last year and now they are undersized at practically every position. I'm sorry, but 6'3'' Sessions and Antawn Jamison hardly make up for the giant hole in the middle that Cleveland now has. I'll admit that some fans have gone overboard with their hate for LeBron and have been unreasonable with some of the things they've said. I don't think Cleveland was guaranteed to win it all and they didn't have the best supporting cast in the league, either. I won't deny these things, but how anyone can say that they had no shot at winning the championship is beyond me. They had the best record in the league, swept the eventual champions in their regular season series and were heavily favored to beat Boston in the second round with home court advantage. How does a team like that have no shot whatsoever at winning it all?

knightfall88
02-11-2011, 10:55 PM
Good Coach but he was too scared of Lebron. Unfortunately Spoelstra is the same but is little bit better

G-Funk
02-12-2011, 02:16 AM
He Was The Right Coach

jbryan1984
02-12-2011, 02:22 AM
Mike Brown had excellent defense, taught to him by Gregg Popovich. He just didn't know what to do with the offense, he pretty much left it up to LeBron to run it. The season or 2 we had John Kuester as an assistant, he ran a lot of offense for us. People talk about how bad we are losing LeBron, Shaq, Z, Delonte. We also lost our coach and our defensive system. Byron Scott runs Princeton offense, not LeBron offense. People like Andy V and Boobie Gibson have never played in any other defensive or offensive system besides Brown's and LeBron's up until now. I guess you can compare it a lot to the 99 Bulls.

Aye Dee
02-12-2011, 02:43 AM
LeBron fans discount the Cavs' loss of Mike Brown and various players like Shaq, Big Z and Delonte, along with them being riddled with injuries this year all you want, but can you please explain why last year's Cavs managed to have a better record than this year's Heat after the first 52 games?

Please don't use any excuses about a "period of adjustment", either. Supposedly, LeBron can join any team in the league and turn them into a 60+ win team all by himself with no regard to who is in the lineup according to his disciples. There should be no reason for the 2011 Heat to have a similar record as last year's Cavs if LeBron's previous team was truly that awful.

And if you still think the Cavs' success was solely because of LeBron, why couldn't he even make the playoffs without Mike Brown as coach?

2006: Cavs hire Mike Brown, go 50-32 and take Detroit to 7 games in the second round

Also, Cleveland managed to win 50 games and make the Finals in 2007 with LeBron posting inferior overall stats compared to his last season without Mike Brown coaching.

Lebron James in '05: 27.2 points per game, 47.2% field goal percentage, 75% free throw percentage, 35.1% three-point percentage, 7.4 rebounds, 7.2 assists and 2.2 steals per game.

Lebron James in '07: 27.3 points per game, 47.6% field goal percentage,. 69.8% free throw percentage, 31.9% 3-point percentage 6.7 rebounds per game, 6 assists per game, 1.6 steals per game.

For all the times I've heard people disparage Mike Brown, it's hard to ignore the turnaround Cleveland had when he took over. They went from missing the playoffs for consecutive seasons with LeBron, and then nearly making it to the Eastern Conference Finals the very next season with no major additions other than Larry Hughes who only played in 36 games.

I don't think the Cavs were a particularly loaded team by any stretch of the imagination, but the amount of abuse hurled towards Cleveland over the past year by LeBron supporters (who were all cheering for Cleveland last year) has been ridiculous. Cleveland's turn for the worse was a result of losing most of their front court with no legitimate replacements and the loss of their best asset and coach. They also had one of the biggest front courts last year and now they are undersized at practically every position. I'm sorry, but 6'3'' Sessions and Antawn Jamison hardly make up for the giant hole in the middle that Cleveland now has. I'll admit that some fans have gone overboard with their hate for LeBron and have been unreasonable with some of the things they've said. I don't think Cleveland was guaranteed to win it all and they didn't have the best supporting cast in the league, either. I won't deny these things, but how anyone can say that they had no shot at winning the championship is beyond me. They had the best record in the league, swept the eventual champions in their regular season series and were heavily favored to beat Boston in the second round with home court advantage. How does a team like that have no shot whatsoever at winning it all?

:violin:

ginobli2311
02-12-2011, 02:45 AM

mike brown brought a defensive mentality which obviously helped lebron and the cavs grow. but you seriously under estimate the importance of hughes...sad that hughes was such a key piece of the cavs, but he brought a ton to the table....especially in brown's schemes.

people always forget that the cavs lost hughes for pretty much the entire finals in 07 and it was a big reason why they looked like a different team. his all around defense was so key for that team. on the stat sheet hughes would look terrible i'm sure, but he actually was probably their 2nd most valuable player if you ask me.

but back to brown. he's a good defensive guy. but he's terrible in series playoff adjuster and his offensive sets were a joke. although he really didn't have much to work with offensively outside of lebron. but he struggled in lineup rotations and adjustments in the playoffs big time.

ShaqAttack3234
02-12-2011, 02:52 AM
They'd probably be noticeably better because they'd be a better defensive team. I think that with Mike Brown and a healthy team, they'd be a 35-40 win team if they were giving the same effort they gave when Lebron was there.

Bigsmoke
02-12-2011, 03:27 AM
great regular season coach.

2LeTTeRS
02-12-2011, 07:04 AM

Thats the best way to play with a superstar like Bron though. You saw how much the Heat struggled when Spoelstra tried to micromanage everything and operate everything off plays, right? And you remember how uninterested Bron used to look on D? If it wasn't for Brown I don't see LeBron developing into half the defender he currently is (although he might be better on offense without the ball in his hands).

I think in today's NBA a coach should be more concerned about teaching players sets and ensuring that they talk on the court so they can make plays on their own instead of trying to dictate the game from the sidelines.

TaLvsCuaL
10-03-2012, 06:56 PM
The question may sound stupid but Howard/Pau coexistence can be a big problem. Pau performance fell sharply after being away from the rim, and the best seasons in his NBA career has been playing C with Odom as PF. And Howard has played his entire career with plenty of space. Finding a balance should not be easy. Might cost more than a year.

The possible incompatibility between Nash and Kobe is also quite possible, both need the ball to make their game. Also Kobe is a good defender but not as good at 2 or 3 years ago, and Nash would be a black hole on defense.

I'm not saying this will happen, but it is possible. Many people are talking about how fascinating are the new Lakers team, but far less are talking about their possible problems. Especially with a coach that not inspire confidence, at least to me. I have no faith in Mike Brown, and I think for such a great mission you should have pick a better coach.

What do you think?

Btw my english is really bad, im sorry. I hope you understand my point.

daily
10-03-2012, 07:07 PM
The question may sound stupid but Howard/Pau coexistence can be a big problem. Pau performance fell sharply after being away from the rim, and the best seasons in his NBA career has been playing C with Odom as PF. And Howard has played his entire career with plenty of space. Finding a balance should not be easy. Might cost more than a year.

The possible incompatibility between Nash and Kobe is also quite possible, both need the ball to make their game. Also Kobe is a good defender but not as good at 2 or 3 years ago, and Nash would be a black hole on defense.

I'm not saying this will happen, but it is possible. Many people are talking about how fascinating are the new Lakers team, but far less are talking about their possible problems. Especially with a coach that not inspire confidence, at least to me. I have no faith in Mike Brown, and I think for such a great mission you should have pick a better coach.

What do you think?

Btw my english is really bad, im sorry. I hope you understand my point.

Howard is a lot more willing to play away from the rim than Bynum was. Bynum can't and won't play any further away than 7 feet on D or Offense. Howard has the quckness to play away from the rim and still cover the paint which will open up things for Gasol on both ends of the floor. Coordinating the two will be much easier with two willing participants.

Kobe can play without the ball he doesn't need it in his hands to be effective.

Mike Brown will be OK. With a traditional training camp to get the team on the same page and days to actually practice between games it will look much different than last years learn on the run system we saw

DukeDelonte13
10-03-2012, 08:09 PM
if the lakers buy into Mike Brown's D they will be champions.

G-Funk
10-03-2012, 08:13 PM
Only thing Mike needs to worry about is running the defense. He can sit his ass down on offense.

kennethgriffin
10-31-2012, 01:00 AM
problem solved

agreed?

joeysms55
10-31-2012, 01:01 AM
Bench Kobe ;) LOL

In b4 lock

flipogb
10-31-2012, 01:02 AM
I say this everyday on various Laker forums.

it makes too much sense and It needs to happen

kennethgriffin
10-31-2012, 01:03 AM
Bench Kobe ;) LOL

In b4 lock

why would it be locked?

and kobe played well tonight.. the offensive system is too slow.. they don't even bother using nash in pick and rolls with howard or gasol. why bother?

and they need to hire a coach that teaches free throw shooting

flipogb
10-31-2012, 01:06 AM
Dwight is too athletic to play this slow, we need Dantoni.

then we need to trade Pau

cranincu
10-31-2012, 01:07 AM
Mike Brown is about to play his old and injured starters for 35+ minutes in a blow out gaame on a back to back.

This coaach is retarded as hell.

KOBE143
10-31-2012, 01:10 AM
Mike Brown sucks.. Doesnt know how to use Nash.. Agree, fire him before its too late..

Mr. Incredible
10-31-2012, 01:10 AM
The excuses already :roll:

bluechox2
10-31-2012, 01:11 AM
dantoni cant coach kobe

KBryant24
lakers on pace to go 0-82
damn they suck

SacJB Shady
Brandon wright schooling d12!!!!!! The lakers ain't goin to playoffs!!!!!

atljonesbro
10-31-2012, 01:12 AM
The team is out of sync. Mike brown has lost control, steve nash and his decision making tonight has been terrible., dwight is being a bitch, pau gasol is screaming everytime he gets the ball, you cannot tell antawn jamison and jodie meeks apart they look like ****ing father and son with the same wristband, metta world peace is jacking up 3's, kobe is jacking up sky high 3's and they go in and everythings okay in mike browns eyes apparently, if you chuck it and they go in who cares it went in, no it was a ****ing bad shot mike pull him from the damn game, then brandon wright his a circus shot and all you do is stare in awe. you pull a ****ing randy wittman, and stare in awe. then go down the court and call for a kobe iso, you "teach dwight a new FT form" and he's 2-11

KDthunderup
10-31-2012, 01:12 AM
P...P...Pre...Preseason. Oh wait.

flipogb
10-31-2012, 01:13 AM
dantoni cant coach kobe
if you know anything about those two, you should know Kobe respects Dantoni and besides, telling Kobe to run and SHOOT, is very easy

oh the horror
10-31-2012, 01:13 AM
In b4 mid season bump when the Lakers look vastly different.

roffie
10-31-2012, 01:15 AM
brown is a terrible coach, srs.

HeyIt'sMe
How a franchise like the Lakers got tricked into actually thinking he could coach is beyond me. Must have had compromising photos at his interview.

atljonesbro
Don't even get me started on the eddie jordan hiring as assistant coach. and you only hire him cause he's coached antawn jamison in washington with ****ing jordans career 257-343 record. Dwight fouled out LOL. mike brown has lost control

KG215
10-31-2012, 01:16 AM
Game 1 of 82.

KDthunderup
10-31-2012, 01:18 AM
you can tell lack of depth for the Lakers is going to arse them in the regular season

clipps
10-31-2012, 01:18 AM
Nice job Lakers... It's always good to get the chemist.... Oh wait... The preseason is over. Can't wait til Friday.

KG215
10-31-2012, 01:19 AM
Ummmm....that was the first game of an 82 game season.

And if this thread isn't serious: good one.

atljonesbro
10-31-2012, 01:19 AM
You just yell and yell at Bynum for jacking up a 3 but when Pau does it it's ok? What is he a good ol trusty vet? Brown is a HYPOCRITE. Mike Brown has lost controll of this team. The Lakers are a 4th seed at best.

Noob Saibot
10-31-2012, 01:20 AM
I sense some drama by Christmas.

kennethgriffin
10-31-2012, 01:21 AM
nom

Mr. Jabbar
The team is out of sync. Mike brown has lost control, steve nash and his decision making tonight has been terrible., dwight is being a bitch, pau gasol is screaming everytime he gets the ball, you cannot tell antawn jamison and jodie meeks apart they look like ****ing father and son with the same wristband, metta world peace is jacking up 3's, kobe is jacking up sky high 3's and they go in and everythings okay in mike browns eyes apparently, if you chuck it and they go in who cares it went in, no it was a ****ing bad shot mike pull him from the damn game, then brandon wright his a circus shot and all you do is stare in awe. you pull a ****ing randy wittman, and stare in awe. then go down the court and call for a kobe iso, you "teach dwight a new FT form" and he's 2-11

i loled at bolded

bmulls
I sense some drama by Christmas.

THIS JUST IN: Dwight Howard demands a trade back to Orlando

TaLvsCuaL
10-31-2012, 01:22 AM
bump

KOBE143
its tanking time.. :lol

DaSeba5
The offense will be good, but that defense man. I'm not sure it's going to improve enough to stop the elite guards in that conference. They looked really slow tonight.

KDthunderup
Only Mike Brown could have a team so full of talent play so shit and out of sync.

atljonesbro
10-31-2012, 01:24 AM
Ummmm....that was the first game of an 82 game season.

And if this thread isn't serious: good one.
This Lakers team is a an absolute joke. Mike Brown 0 control. The players are doing whatever the fu*k they want out there. **** let Devin Ebanks coach he aint getting no damn playing time.

bluechox2
10-31-2012, 01:24 AM
its tanking time.. :lol

they traded their draft picks for nash and dwight, its hopeless now

SourPatchKids
10-31-2012, 01:25 AM
Anyone else look at the boxscore and see how bad Dwight's +\- ratio was compared to the rest of his team?

AlonzoGOAT
10-31-2012, 01:26 AM
http://fc08.deviantart.net/fs71/f/2012/135/d/9/oh_gif_kid_by_magnasicparvis-d4zugsk.jpg

raprap
10-31-2012, 01:29 AM
in b4 81-1 :banana:

pauk
10-31-2012, 01:29 AM

This.

But Mike Brown had something to do with it as he ran the plays for Lebron:

http://blacksportsonline.com/home/wp-content/uploads/2010/05/Mike-Brown-Playbook-300x216.jpg

or sometimes he would get a great idea and draw something even better like:

http://9.media.sportspickle.cvcdn.com/1/1/sportspickle.568516d1d5ad5b61acf2fcc1b4db35d4.jpg

BMOGEFan
10-31-2012, 01:30 AM
He is gone

Mr. Incredible
10-31-2012, 01:30 AM
Suuuuuuure

Joshumitsu
10-31-2012, 01:32 AM
Fire him. If you can't get Phil back or Sloan out of retirement, pick up guys like Nate McMillan or D'Antoni who have coached Kobe, Dwight, and Nash before.

At this point, coaching xo's aren't as important as someone who can command the team.

Mike Brown can coach strategy (lol not really) but he has no charisma.

He can't command ego...which this team has w/ four elite all-stars.

If you don't fire him asap, you're just wasting Kobe and Nash's last years in the NBA.

Would be quite said, don't you think?

clipps
10-31-2012, 01:32 AM
He's the only guy responsible for the loss. Heh heh I'm Cornhohlio heh heh FIRE

TheBigVeto
10-31-2012, 01:33 AM
Obviously Mike Brown isn't as good of a coach as D'Antoni. That is a fact.
But the Lakers' loss against the Mavs is not his fault. It's Kobe's choking.

bluechox2
10-31-2012, 01:35 AM
if you know anything about those two, you should know Kobe respects Dantoni and besides, telling Kobe to run and SHOOT, is very easy
:roll: :coleman:

blackification
10-31-2012, 01:38 AM
kobe would ****ing kill him lol he hates d'antoni

KOBE143
10-31-2012, 01:40 AM
He was a great coach or one of the best coach in the league when he still in Cleveland and made LeBron the player he is but he regressed big time when he went to LA.. Dunno why? Maybe becos of the pressure of coaching the GOAT..:confusedshrug:

I want Cleveland Mike Brown.. With that old self, I have no doubt that we will win the championship..

M.Bustly15A5RU8
10-31-2012, 01:41 AM
:lebronamazed:

BMOGEFan
10-31-2012, 01:42 AM
phantom calls

Mr. Jabbar
10-31-2012, 01:44 AM
He had little to work with in CLeveland, it was a simple plan, give the ball to james, see what happens :lol

Here he needs to handle a lot more, and I think hes just not that type of coach. 1 important thing also is that players do not respect him much. You need to believe in your coach, thats basic in sports.

I<3NBA
10-31-2012, 01:44 AM
this tool cost Lebron 2 championships.

pauk
10-31-2012, 01:45 AM
Oh he was only playing all positions... and guarding all positions... averaging close to 30 point triple doubles... stuff like that...

It was easy to coach:

http://blacksportsonline.com/home/wp-content/uploads/2010/05/Mike-Brown-Playbook-300x216.jpg
http://9.media.sportspickle.cvcdn.com/1/1/sportspickle.568516d1d5ad5b61acf2fcc1b4db35d4.jpg

ihoopallday
10-31-2012, 01:45 AM
LeBron was winning 60+ games with Mike Brown. Either LeBron was that good, or the Lakers are that hard to coach with Brown. I think the only coach Kobe will ever listen to is Phil Jackson.

maybeshewill13
10-31-2012, 01:47 AM
LMFAO here are the excuses already.. :sleeping

Walker
10-31-2012, 01:48 AM
LOL this is funny was thinking the exact same thing today. But no, D'Antonio's lack of rotation would drive this team into the dirt before the Allstar break.

Collie
10-31-2012, 01:50 AM
Mike Brown is actually a pretty good defensive coach. It's on offense where he falls apart. That Cavs team was ideal for his coaching style since he only had to worry about defense (which was excellent), and just dump the ball to LBJ for offense.

Mr. Incredible
10-31-2012, 01:51 AM
Because he's the GOAT

KOBE143
10-31-2012, 01:51 AM
He did not.. Dont make up lies..

clayton
10-31-2012, 01:52 AM
Only the best in the world can make the finals with Mike Brown as coach. :applause:

pauk
10-31-2012, 01:52 AM
http://i56.tinypic.com/qp3wj6.jpg

Bigsmoke
10-31-2012, 01:59 AM
LBJ is da mighty best since Jordan

atljonesbro
10-31-2012, 02:04 AM
And another thing. Metta World peace needs to change his fu*king name unreal

Lebron23
10-31-2012, 02:06 AM
Because He's the Basketball God. The son of Michael Jordan and Gloria James.

Zedja
10-31-2012, 02:07 AM
http://i56.tinypic.com/qp3wj6.jpg
Explains everything.

maybeshewill13
10-31-2012, 02:09 AM
OP :lol

Zedja
10-31-2012, 02:11 AM
kthanx.

TheBigVeto
10-31-2012, 02:14 AM
He's better than Kobe.
/thread

Bandito
10-31-2012, 02:17 AM
Why do lebron fans always talk about Kobe LOL. The reason Lebron did it was because the team was built to his strengths and he is pretty good too.

atljonesbro
10-31-2012, 02:55 AM
Bump for those who didn't see this sh1t is insane. Mike Brown has lost control of this locker room. The players can do whatever the hell they want. Sht make Devin Ebanks the coach for god sake he made a rap song hes a leader.

Burgz V2
10-31-2012, 04:32 AM
more and more teams are going with partially improvised offenses in today's NBA.

the premise is to put a system in place, where Player A must do x,y, or z, if player B does a certain action. effectively, these may be systems but they operate on CHOICES. players make these choices and depending on their IQ their may excel or be terrible. This makes it essential that you have these types of players. this is why the Spurs and Mavs do well every year, they reload with players that excel at the mental aspect of the game, or are put in situations enough times where they may make the right decisions.

Coaches from the Pop and Rick Carlisle's pipeline seem to be the ones this strategy is most popular with.

with all that said, i think that Mike Brown is COMPLETELY out of his depth as the coach of the Lakers. watching the Lakers get into their sets was so brutal. byt the time there offense is initiated, the shot clock is already bearing down on them. Nash needs to play a more creative role in order for them to be successful. tonight, he did a lot of bringing the ball up dish to a big at the elbow and cut to the weakside corner. the problem with this is they dont execute qucikly enough to be able to get the ball back to him if the shot clock is running down and they need someone to create. instead you have dudes forcing shots.

ive never been one to hate on Mike Brown, i think defensively, he's one of the best coaches there is, but i think getting Nash and Dwight might have been both a blessing and a curse. there is no reason they should not be looking crisper than they did tonight with an entire training camp behind them.

fire mike brown, give the lakers fans nothing else to complain about lol