PDA

View Full Version : kevin martin is as good as harden

therammingman
11-02-2012, 09:50 PM
:no: :no: :no: :no: :no: :no: :no:

Clippersfan86
11-02-2012, 09:50 PM
When people said that I said :oldlol: :facepalm ... now I say :roll: :roll: :roll: :biggums:

RRR3
11-02-2012, 09:51 PM
"Kevin Martin is close to Harden"

:roll: :roll: :roll:

"Kevin Martin is half as good as Harden"

:roll: :roll: :roll:

"Kevin Martin isn't fit to touch Harden's beard"

:applause:

therammingman
11-02-2012, 09:51 PM
When people said that I said :oldlol: :facepalm ... now I say :roll: :roll: :roll: :biggums:

btw ur team is gonna kick my lakers ass tonight

lilgodfather1
11-02-2012, 09:52 PM
Did people actually say that? Wow people will say anything to rationalize a bad trade.

SpecialQue
11-02-2012, 09:55 PM
Did people actually say that? Wow people will say anything to rationalize a bad trade.

Yeah, people actually did say shit like that. Amazing what people will say when they're suicidal.

AirTupac
11-02-2012, 09:59 PM
OKC fans tried to make it seem like losing Harden wasn't a big deal. :oldlol:

RedBlackAttack
11-02-2012, 10:15 PM
I don't think it was the worst trade in the world for OKC. From Harden's point of view, I think to really flourish the way he has, he had to get on a team where he could be utilized as a legitimate franchise player, not a No. 3 option. I'm not saying it isn't great to have a guy like that coming off your bench, but that could only go on for so long.

OKC wasn't going to be able to keep all of those guys and Harden is too good to be a non-starter, non-first option.

He had to go and the package OKC got in return was about as good as it is going to get. You are never going to get equal value for a player of Harden's talents. What you can do is acquire a bunch of assets to be used in a later trade or to develop young talent.

Martin will serve as offense off the bench and Jeremy Lamb, two first-round picks and a second-round pick give the Thunder plenty of flexibility to go out and get a guy that will really mesh well with the foundation they've built. If they can use those assets to build a formidable front court, it will have been worth it come playoff time.

We'll see how it turns out in the end.

No doubt Harden is a beast, though... my god.

BlackVVaves
11-02-2012, 10:30 PM
Yeah, a substantial amount of unrealistic OKC fans actually did say shit like that. Amazing what people will say when they're suicidal.

Fixed.

Let's not get carried away though people. Harden is going to be a really good player, and OKC probably should have just paid him. With that said, let's not act like Harden is Jordan now.

Wally450
11-02-2012, 10:41 PM
Call me when K Martin averages 41ppg

maybeshewill13
11-02-2012, 10:46 PM
A lot of mad dudes in this thread :confusedshrug:

O_City_Thunder
11-02-2012, 10:46 PM
:no: :no: :no: :no: :no: :no: :no:
I'm not sure who said he was as good as Harden or whatever, but he will put up the same numbers Harden did when he was with the Thunder. Regardless, if Martin is as good as Harden or not.

KG215
11-02-2012, 10:52 PM
17 PPG in two games for Martin and he's 6/9 from three and 10/10 from the FT line. He had two or three assists tonight, too.

Obviously he's not as good as Harden, but he's playing the "Harden" sixth man role pretty well so far. Tonight he did it perfectly. He hit a big three, a jumper, and got to the line two times in the fourth when OKC blew the game open.

Collie
11-02-2012, 10:55 PM
What people need to realize is that James Harden wasn't gonna be a 25+ ppg scorer in OKC unless they got rid of WB and/or Durant.

I think Martin can reasonably give them the scoring Harden provided off the bench. What they'd miss what Harden's playmaking and ability to create shots when needed.

irondarts
11-02-2012, 10:56 PM
But see, if Harden was on OKC he wouldn't be putting up these numbers.

He's a beast, but he's putting up these numbers in Houston because he's the first option, he wasn't that in OKC and he wasn't going to put up these numbers in OKC.

FireDavidKahn
11-02-2012, 11:13 PM
In the same role as Harden had on OKC? It's pretty close.

maybeshewill13
11-02-2012, 11:15 PM

He's a beast, but he's putting up these numbers in Houston because he's the first option, he wasn't that in OKC and he wasn't going to put up these numbers in OKC.
Exactly. Dude is given the ball pretty much every single time he comes up the court in Houston, and he's got a license to shoot.

Harden had Westbrook and Durant to share shots with. Who's Harden got in Houston? Carlos Delfino? :confusedshrug:

Kevin Martin is doing most of what Harden was in OKC so far. He's averaged 17 points off the bench so far on 6/9 from 3 point territory. Lacks a bit of passing ability Harden has, but he plays off the ball, completely different than Harden.

Either way, Harden is balling. Happy to see he's doing well, hurts though.

LakersForlife
11-02-2012, 11:33 PM
bench Martin = Harden
Starter Harden > Martin

OKC didnt lose that much

irondarts
11-02-2012, 11:34 PM
bench Martin = Harden
Starter Harden > Martin

OKC didnt lose that much
Pretty much this.

ZenMaster
11-02-2012, 11:42 PM
Exactly. Dude is given the ball pretty much every single time he comes up the court in Houston, and he's got a license to shoot.

Harden had Westbrook and Durant to share shots with. Who's Harden got in Houston? Carlos Delfino? :confusedshrug:

Kevin Martin is doing most of what Harden was in OKC so far. He's averaged 17 points off the bench so far on 6/9 from 3 point territory. Lacks a bit of passing ability Harden has, but he plays off the ball, completely different than Harden.

Either way, Harden is balling. Happy to see he's doing well, hurts though.

:no:

A couple days ago it was "Harden had the benefit of playing with great players and not being the focal point of the defense".

maybeshewill13
11-02-2012, 11:44 PM
:no:

A couple days ago it was "Harden had the benefit of playing with great players and not being the focal point of the defense".
That's irrelevant because I never said that :sleeping Try again?

ZenMaster
11-02-2012, 11:48 PM
That's irrelevant because I never said that :sleeping Try again?

Lots of people saying it is the point.

Collie
11-02-2012, 11:50 PM
It's like TMac, I mean NOBODY expected him to average 27/7/5 on the Magic after his time with the Raptors. Eerily similar situations.

Carbine
11-02-2012, 11:52 PM
Pretty much this.

My thoughts as well.

RRR3
11-02-2012, 11:53 PM
It's like TMac, I mean NOBODY expected him to average 27/7/5 on the Magic after his time with the Raptors. Eerily similar situations.
Exactly what I thought of.

Draz
11-02-2012, 11:54 PM
Don't know who said that, that is insaneeee.

maybeshewill13
11-02-2012, 11:54 PM
Lots of people saying it is the point.
So what you're saying is it had nothing to do with me, so quoting me and saying that was pointless? Got it :sleeping

KG215
11-02-2012, 11:55 PM

Not only is he a first option in Houston, he's a first option on a team that doesn't really have a legit second scoring option. I know Lin did it for about two weeks last year, but there's not really a sustained proven second scoring option on the Rockets.

Kyle_korver
11-03-2012, 12:04 AM
i hate how people ignore the fact scola lowry dragic who are all scorer were on the rockets with martin... yes harden had 45 but on a team with 0 scorer.. n k mart has dropped 50 before btw

KG215
11-03-2012, 12:12 AM
i hate how people ignore the fact scola lowry dragic who are all scorer were on the rockets with martin... yes harden had 45 but on a team with 0 scorer.. n k mart has dropped 50 before btw

Shhhhh....you're ruining overreaction week.

Good points, but I do think Harden is a better player than Martin; at least in the #1 option/starter role.

stallionaire
11-03-2012, 12:24 AM
LOL 2 games into the season.

This is why ISH is a shithole.

holy kneejerking people.

Sarcastic
11-03-2012, 12:31 AM

KM is not good enough to put up those numbers as the first option.

Whoah10115
11-03-2012, 12:32 AM
Not only is he a first option in Houston, he's a first option on a team that doesn't really have a legit second scoring option. I know Lin did it for about two weeks last year, but there's not really a sustained proven second scoring option on the Rockets.

Lin averaged over 18PPG, over 26 games. And the Knicks went 16-10 (50-51 win pace).

KG215
11-03-2012, 01:38 AM
Lin averaged over 18PPG, over 26 games. And the Knicks went 16-10 (50-51 win pace).

My fault. He has one other solid scoring threat on his team who averaged 18 PPG for about a month of his career. Though I do think Lin will average 15-17 a game for awhile for the Rockets until some of their younger players emerge and start producing more consistently.

irondarts
11-03-2012, 02:09 AM
KM is not good enough to put up those numbers as the first option.
Scoring wise? Yes he is.

He has 8 career 40 point games, has average over 20 ppg 5 times in his career. He's not as good of an all around player as Harden, but he can provide scoring off of the bench for OKC like Harden.

Whoah10115
11-03-2012, 02:17 AM
My fault. He has one other solid scoring threat on his team who averaged 18 PPG for about a month of his career. Though I do think Lin will average 15-17 a game for awhile for the Rockets until some of their younger players emerge and start producing more consistently.

Well it's a large enough portion to think it was more than a fluke...tho I have concerns, too...mostly due to how he's handled stuff since then.

KG215
11-03-2012, 02:19 AM
Scoring wise? Yes he is.

He has 8 career 40 point games, has average over 20 ppg 5 times in his career. He's not as good of an all around player as Harden, but he can provide scoring off of the bench for OKC like Harden.

And he has a 50 point game.

The assist numbers don't really show it in two games, but he's been fine with his passing and facilitating. Some nice dribble penetration moves where the kick-out to an open shooter ended with a missed shot or his pass led to an assist for another player, i.e. hockey assist. He's getting to the line too, with 10 attempts and 10 makes.

RRR3
11-03-2012, 02:20 AM
KG215 liking KMart, eh?

Whoah10115
11-03-2012, 02:24 AM
Kevin Martin is very good and isn't just an empty stats player...if he gets a chance to play on a good team. He knows how to score, not just to get his.

Doesn't change that he can't initiate team offense. But you put him in a system to utilize his quality, he will produce. I think he'll do a great job.

KG215
11-03-2012, 02:30 AM
KG215 liking KMart, eh?

Yeah, so far, but I actually liked the trade when it happened. Not because I thought Martin was better than Harden, but because I understood why Presti did it, and liked what we got in return.

It's just going to take me some time to get used to Martin. Even tonight, he helped spark a fourth quarter run with a big three, another long two, and driving and getting to the line a couple of times...very similar to how Harden helped spark fourth quarter runs to blow games open; but it still "felt" different if that makes sense.

Maybe it's because he looks so much like Thabo on the court and I caught myself thinking "how in the hell did Thabo just do that?" a few times.

IGOTGAME
11-03-2012, 02:30 AM
Harden is better than Martin in any capacity. He is a top 15 player, top 20 at worst. Martin isn't too 40. Also Harden plays with historic efficiency.

RRR3
11-03-2012, 02:32 AM
Yeah, so far, but I actually liked the trade when it happened. Not because I thought Martin was better than Harden, but because I understood why Presti did it, and liked what we got in return.

It's just going to take me some time to get used to Martin. Even tonight, he helped spark a fourth quarter run with a big three, another long two, and driving and getting to the line a couple of times...very similar to how Harden helped spark fourth quarter runs to blow games open; but it still "felt" different if that makes sense.

Maybe it's because he looks so much like Thabo on the court and I caught myself thinking "how in the hell did Thabo just do that?" a few times.
Thought I was the only one besides Kevin Harlan (?) who thinks that. Yesterday Harlan (IIRC) mistook him for Thabo.

http://i.imgur.com/nLE0G.jpg

El Kabong
11-03-2012, 02:32 AM
What people need to realize is that James Harden wasn't gonna be a 25+ ppg scorer in OKC unless they got rid of WB and/or Durant.

I think Martin can reasonably give them the scoring Harden provided off the bench. What they'd miss what Harden's playmaking and ability to create shots when needed.
Pretty much. Hardens value to OKC isn't as high as his value to Houston. That's not a knock on Harden, just with Houston he's a #1 option and with OKC he's #3.

It was a good deal for everyone, Harden got paid big, Houston got a very good player and OKC got a good player, a young guy with potential and some draft picks that could be very attractive in the future.

KG215
11-03-2012, 02:43 AM
Thought I was the only one besides Kevin Harlan (?) who thinks that. Yesterday Harlan (IIRC) mistook him for Thabo.

Yeah, even just looking at them straight on when you can see their face, you can get them mixed up. It's even worse when they're running around and moving on the court. The 12-15 Thunder fans in the chat I was in last night pointed it out and some of us got confused again tonight. A few times in the first half someone said something like "Wow, look at Thabo!" after Martin made a shot or a move to the hole and got fouled, only to realize it was Martin a few seconds later.

spiegel
11-03-2012, 02:59 AM
LOL 2 games into the season.

This is why ISH is a shithole.

holy kneejerking people.
Harden is averaGING 41 POINTS dosent matter if it's only 2 games. He had a 40 point last season to. He showed in samples last season he is capable.Anyone with a brain knew Harden>>>>Martin but it dosent negate from the fact Martin is a good player in his own right.

Thunderstruck
11-03-2012, 03:08 AM
OKC fans tried to make it seem like losing Harden wasn't a big deal. :oldlol:

Don't know where you've been, but most people here were upset to see him go. I think we got a lot back in the trade, but your mistaken if you think OKC fans were happy that Harden was traded.

KDthunderup
11-03-2012, 03:10 AM
The thing is Harden what not be able to produce what he is doing at Houston at OKC, his value to us is a lot less then what it is to the Rockets.

SpecialQue
03-19-2013, 11:05 PM
:confusedshrug: