PDA

View Full Version : Sources: Lakers possibly looking at Dantoni

therammingman
11-03-2012, 02:15 PM
https://twitter.com/lazenby/status/264786585382424576

According to sources, Lakers have identified Mike D'Antoni as a possible replacement for current head coach Mike Brown.

Kobe 4 The Win
11-03-2012, 02:21 PM
I'd prefer Sloan but Dantoni could be interesting with this group. We need more 3 point shooters if this happens. Kobe is a big Dantoni fan and of course Nash.

CeltsGarlic
11-03-2012, 02:21 PM
Nash back with Dantoni, I would love it. Definitely would think better about the Lakers.

Indian guy
11-03-2012, 02:22 PM
Yeah, replacing Mike Brown with an even worse defensive coach is the answer :rolleyes:. And an OLD ass team running D'Antoni's offense?

Adelman is the best candidate out there. He should be LA's focus.

Gotterdammerung
11-03-2012, 02:23 PM
This shit never gets old. :oldlol:

Gotterdammerung
11-03-2012, 02:24 PM
:biggums: Best candidate out there? :facepalm

He's coaching the Minnesota Timberwolves.

FireDavidKahn
11-03-2012, 02:25 PM
Yeah, replacing Mike Brown with an even worse defensive coach is the answer :rolleyes:. And an OLD ass team running D'Antoni's offense?

Too bad Adelman is locked up for 2 more years.

blablabla
11-03-2012, 02:26 PM
the goat is coming back 70 wins book it

Clutch
11-03-2012, 02:27 PM
Looking forward to seeing bunch of 30+ guys playing run and gun and giving even less effort on defense.

Please sign D'Antoni,it will be comical :oldlol:

DuMa
11-03-2012, 02:28 PM
Looking forward to seeing bunch of 30+ guys playing run and gun and giving even less effort on defense.

Please sign D'Antoni,it will be comical :oldlol:

this. would also love metta taking the transition 3 in the first 7 seconds of the shot clock

R.I.P.
11-03-2012, 02:29 PM
The good news: They already play his defensive system. :D :D

CeltsGarlic
11-03-2012, 02:30 PM
The good news: They already play his defensive system. :D :D

:applause: .

White Mamba
11-03-2012, 02:31 PM
anything but BROWN:facepalm

Meticode
11-03-2012, 02:31 PM
:roll:

Kobe 4 The Win
11-03-2012, 02:33 PM
We could have had Byron Scott. :facepalm

Styles p
11-03-2012, 02:36 PM
you guys should just promote Eddie Jordan to head coach :oldlol: how that idiot got another job in the nba boggles my mind.

HorryIsMyMVP
Atleast they would score buckets.

Meticode
We could have had Byron Scott. :facepalm
I'm still wondering what made the Lakers choose Brown over Shaw last year.

IGotACoolStory
11-03-2012, 02:39 PM

I don't know, man. I think Doc or Pop would be a better fit.

NewYorkNoPicks
11-03-2012, 02:39 PM
For the Lakers...it may not be horrible.

But this is a little known fact about D'Antoni that you wouldn't know about unless he was your coach before..... He can only make it work with specific type of players...he can not modify his system to work with players who dont exactly fit it (i.e. Kobe).

He also needs a very strong point guard to run his offense. If you dont have that then he's useless as a coach. So you'd have to hope Nash can return to a star calibur level.

ZenMaster
11-03-2012, 02:40 PM
God I hope this happens, Chuck Pearson could be in charge of the defense like he was at the end under Phil Jackson.

TonyD
11-03-2012, 02:45 PM
Wouldn't he have the same issues with Kobe that he had with Melo?

no pun intended
11-03-2012, 02:48 PM
I can see Carlisle working well with the Lakers.

Meticode
11-03-2012, 02:50 PM
I think a lot of people don't realize that Rick still is coaching the Timberwolves for at least two more years. :lol

NoGunzJustSkillz
11-03-2012, 02:54 PM
This is to lure Phil out of retirement. Phil hates D'Antoni, WTF, go sit down (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YlkeKbStexE).

SpecialQue
11-03-2012, 02:56 PM
WHAT?

http://i.imgur.com/h5Sce.gif

R.I.P.
11-03-2012, 02:56 PM
I think a lot of people don't realize that Rick still is coaching the Timberwolves for at least two more years. :lol

Apparently and Carlisle has four more years with the Mavs.

Sloan has just visited his first NBA game since he quit his job and to be honest he didn

mentallooser
11-03-2012, 02:58 PM
Jvg Jvg Jvg Jvg

Freedom Kid7
11-03-2012, 02:59 PM
I hate Dantoni. I hate his stupid system. He doesn't know how to fit defense into anything, and the defense will only get worse. However, I can imagine Dantoni being better than Brown.

kennethgriffin
11-03-2012, 03:05 PM
lol@ these insiders using my 2 day old threads as a source

i just said LA should do it. didn't say they are

:roll:

guy
11-03-2012, 03:07 PM
Actually, Phil Jackson is the best candidate out there, if he's interested. It actually would make a lot sense. I'm sure he has some interest coaching another super stacked team, but maybe not for the long haul. He can do this for the rest of this season, and instituting the triangle won't be as hard with Kobe and Gasol knowing it. Then again, I'm sure things will pick up for them even with Mike Brown, but Kobe and Nash might be tool old anyway regardless of the coach.

CelticsDraftee
11-03-2012, 03:08 PM
Jvg Jvg Jvg Jvg

http://gifrific.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/06/Jeff-Van-Gundy-Stare.gif

Asiantastic
11-03-2012, 03:09 PM

:oldlol:

ooohhh2
11-03-2012, 03:16 PM

:biggums: :lol :lol :lol You guys never cease to crack me up..

Mr. Jabbar
11-03-2012, 03:19 PM

:roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

jbot
11-03-2012, 03:24 PM
brown w/o lebron = crap.

Basketbolero
11-03-2012, 03:49 PM
you guys should just promote Eddie Jordan to head coach :oldlol: how that idiot got another job in the nba boggles my mind.
THIS

Fudge
11-03-2012, 03:54 PM
Idiot alert. :oldlol:

All Net
11-03-2012, 03:56 PM
How would he be any better?

Bandito
11-03-2012, 03:56 PM
Imagine D'Antoni and Mike together?:lol

ConanRulesNBC
11-03-2012, 04:01 PM
I was just thinking the Lakers should do this last night after their 3rd loss in a row. I think he'd be great for this team. With Nash playing point, Kobe, Dwight, Gasol. They could average 100+ PPG with that offense under D'Antoni.

rhythmic
11-03-2012, 04:48 PM
If it's not Phil, Jerry Sloan is the best candidate for the job. He demands a lot from his players and holds everyone accountable. Plus he has coached the best pick and roll tandem probably of all-time. He'd utilized Nash correctly and make Gasol/Howard's jobs easier. I'm sure Kobe would respect Jerry as a coach too because he has a good track record. If it wasn't for Jordan, he'd probably have won a couple of championships with those Jazz teams.

I don't want D'Antonio, I have never considered him a great coach; he just always had a lot of talent in Phoenix that fit well around Nash. Without him Nash was still a prolific point guard with a bunch of scrubs the past few years. I really don't think D'Antonio is the answer.

We either need Phil, who is the best of all-time at managing talent or Sloan who is a great X's and O's coach and demands a lot out of his players.

rhythmic
11-03-2012, 04:51 PM
I was just thinking the Lakers should do this last night after their 3rd loss in a row. I think he'd be great for this team. With Nash playing point, Kobe, Dwight, Gasol. They could average 100+ PPG with that offense under D'Antoni.

Miami, Dallas, LA, SA, Detroit all won championships because they all had strong defenses. A potent offense isn't going to win you a championship. I think LA will eventually find comfort offensively even with potato head as the coach, but defensively? Yeah, Sloan or Phil are perfect candidates.

I'd prefer Phil of course, I hope the Buss family already contacted him. To make MB feel better they might let him be an assistant or something, or maybe the new Gatorade boy which suits him better.

swi7ch
11-03-2012, 04:52 PM
Just do it like this:

Mike Brown - defense coach / head coach
Mike D'Antoni - offense coach / assistant coach
Chuck Person - FT coach / assistant coach

That's it. Lakers will win the next 3-4 championships. So easy I fixed the Lakers in less than 2 minutes.

imdaman99
11-03-2012, 04:55 PM
mike antoni good luck with that :lol

HorryIsMyMVP
11-03-2012, 05:02 PM
Just do it like this:

Mike Brown - defense coach / head coach
Mike D'Antoni - offense coach / assistant coach
Chuck Person - FT coach / assistant coach

That's it. Lakers will win the next 3-4 championships. So easy I fixed the Lakers in less than 2 minutes.
Well it's ntlike Mike Brown's defensive schemes have been doing anything.

rhythmic
11-03-2012, 05:05 PM
Well it's ntlike Mike Brown's defensive schemes have been doing anything.

Exactly, our defense is more of a concern then our offense. We're averaging close to 100 PPG on a solid 50% so far, and we still look confused as hell out there.

Defensively, we're atrocious.

Patrick Chewing
11-03-2012, 05:06 PM
anything but BROWN:facepalm

http://cdn.memegenerator.net/instances/400x/29537823.jpg

Noof
11-03-2012, 05:06 PM
Idk....our defense is our biggest problem, not our offense. What is D'antoni gonna do to fix that?

westside_baller
11-03-2012, 05:14 PM
Kurt Rambis is available! Woot!

FireDavidKahn
11-03-2012, 05:50 PM
Kurt Rambis is available! Woot!
:oldlol:

You guys would long for Mike Brown

KOBEtherealKing
11-03-2012, 05:54 PM

:lol

Pacers4ever
11-03-2012, 05:54 PM
Idk....our defense is our biggest problem, not our offense. What is D'antoni gonna do to fix that?
Wear a top hat and pretend to know what he's doing. But yeah I hope the lakers sign him it would seal their fate.

BlueandGold
11-03-2012, 05:58 PM
Pry Shaw out of indiana. BTW I told everyone this same ****ing thing right when Shaw was skipped over Brown. Seriously dig up any of my posts about Brown from that point. Knew he wasn't worth a damn even in his days in Cleveland. Lebron as early as his 2nd season into the league already had more sway with management in cleveland than Brown ever commanded in that city, and it's cleveland for christ's sake. In hindsight along with Lebron's ineptitude in the fourth, Brown's inability to command respect in the locker room is what eventually forced Lebron out of Cleveland after having lost all those playoff games as the favorite.

Actually, Phil Jackson is the best candidate out there, if he's interested. It actually would make a lot sense. I'm sure he has some interest coaching another super stacked team, but maybe not for the long haul. He can do this for the rest of this season, and instituting the triangle won't be as hard with Kobe and Gasol knowing it. Then again, I'm sure things will pick up for them even with Mike Brown, but Kobe and Nash might be tool old anyway regardless of the coach.

That would be a wet dream.. one of the worst coaches (glorified assistant) in the league to GOAT all time.

UtahJazzFan88
11-03-2012, 05:58 PM
Why not hire SVG? Him and Dwight got along well? :oldlol:

BallsOut
11-03-2012, 06:07 PM
Dantoni would face very similar criticism in my opinion. This Lakers team does not have the personel to run due in part to Mike Brown's horrendous decisions to cut/pass on guys like Matt Barnes, Chris Douglas Roberts and Leandro Barbosa.

Coaches the Lakers should go after (in order):
1) Phil Jackson
2) Jerry Sloan
3) Jeff Van Gundy

That's it. Any other coach would just be a minimal upgrade that won't get the most of this veteran squad.

Levity
11-03-2012, 06:11 PM
there was an AMAZING amount of hate for MDA last year. I could only imagine how much that hate would multiply, from both la and non la fans, if he was to coach the lakers.

BlueandGold
11-03-2012, 06:14 PM
Dantoni would face very similar criticism in my opinion. This Lakers team does not have the personel to run due in part to Mike Brown's horrendous decisions to cut/pass on guys like Matt Barnes, Chris Douglas Roberts and Leandro Barbosa.

Coaches the Lakers should go after (in order):
1) Phil Jackson
2) Jerry Sloan
3) Jeff Van Gundy

That's it. Any other coach would just be a minimal upgrade that won't get the most of this veteran squad.
Not all good coaches have to be big name coaches.. I'm sure there's a handful of high school coaches that would get the most out of this team. Like I stated before Shaw has already proven he's a great quasi head coach (assistant to vogel) in indiana and knows the makeup of the team and organization better than anyone.

What the Lakers front office should be thinking is what would be the best fit for this team, instead of who's the biggest name head coach on the market.

iDunk
11-03-2012, 06:14 PM
Damn that sucks or the Lakes considering D'Antoni isn't a coach.

swi7ch
11-03-2012, 06:16 PM
Not all good coaches have to be big name coaches.. I'm sure there's a handful of high school coaches that would get the most out of this team.

Kobe would not listen to any of those no-name HS coaches... what are you smoking, bro? :roll:

BallsOut
11-03-2012, 06:17 PM
Not all good coaches have to be big name coaches.. I'm sure there's a handful of high school coaches that would get the most out of this team. Like I stated before Shaw has already proven he's a great quasi head coach (assistant to vogel) in indiana and knows the makeup of the team and organization better than anyone.

What the Lakers front office should be thinking is what would be the best fit for this team, instead of who's the biggest name head coach on the market.

The reason you need a big name coach is to have all of the players buy in, including Kobe. Kobe's a guy that will only respect you if you know what you're doing, guys that are at the highest levels in their professions. The Lakers will need a coach that can stand up to him when he's shooting too much, etc.

BlueandGold
11-03-2012, 06:21 PM
The reason you need a big name coach is to have all of the players buy in, including Kobe. Kobe's a guy that will only respect you if you know what you're doing, guys that are at the highest levels in their professions. The Lakers will need a coach that can stand up to him when he's shooting too much, etc.
That's one argument for it. Another would be that all these guys are at the stage of their career where they only want to win above all else. If you noticed guys on the floor almost seem too willing to share the ball because everyone is so anxious to have it work out.

Look at 2008 with Doc Rivers.. I remember plenty of people wondering if Doc would be able to make it out in Boston.. just because of the degree of star-power that was there. If you get a good enough coach in there he'll make it work no matter what.

Blue&Orange
11-03-2012, 06:24 PM
please god make it happen

vinsane01
11-03-2012, 06:25 PM
:lol

devin112
11-03-2012, 06:34 PM
No more PrincetonBe offense?

Derka
11-03-2012, 07:16 PM
Here we go with this sources shit again...

upside24
11-03-2012, 07:21 PM
Pop coaching Nash, Kobe, Gasol and Howard.:bowdown:

ispin69
11-03-2012, 07:34 PM
Mike D'antoni and Nash so they can be like the old Phoenix team? How successful was that? Run and gun, NO DEFENSE whatsoever. :oldlol:

Kobe 4 The Win
11-03-2012, 07:48 PM
Mike D'antoni and Nash so they can be like the old Phoenix team? How successful was that? Run and gun, NO DEFENSE whatsoever. :oldlol:

The old Phoenix team didn't have Kobe, Dwight and Gasol.

rhythmic
11-03-2012, 07:53 PM

Yeah lets compare Amare's defensive presence to Howard's shall we? :lol

senelcoolidge
11-03-2012, 07:56 PM
laker fans and media sound and look desperate as f##k. deal with your problems. not everything can be handed to you on a silver platter. be realistic. you have old ass players. a horrible bench. the team has a new offense that they need to learn. be patient. this is why lakers are so hated. their stupid fans. even kobe called you guys idiots.

ispin69
11-03-2012, 07:58 PM
Yeah when you start running and gunning, Howard will start looking like Amare. If he's so great on defense now...why are they losing and people talking about the defense?

upside24
11-03-2012, 08:04 PM
Yeah when you start running and gunning, Howard will start looking like Amare. If he's so great on defense now...why are they losing and people talking about the defense?
Have you watched Howard play this year?

Ignore the stats and use your eyes, he can hardly jump. He isn't as eager to contest shots and other than rebounds that fall in his lap he isn't going up there and getting them.

In the Clippers game he missed out on several rebounds in his area that when healthy would have been his. On one posession he didn't even attempt to jump and get it.

Once/If Howard returns to form in a month or two then we can judge his defensive presence, but right now he is clearly not what we are used to seeing.

AK47DR91
11-03-2012, 08:08 PM
Can those old legs even do run and gun anymore? :lol

VegasLakerFan
11-03-2012, 08:15 PM
No D'Antoni, please!
The Lakers need stability. They need someone who can gain the respect of all the players. They need someone- and I can't believe I am saying this about a NBA head coach- who will actually have a set rotation and not run Kobe and the other stars into the ground by January and who can make adjustments after halftime. I do not think D'Antoni is that coach. I'd like Jerry Sloan.
As a fan who watches every game, I'd just like a coach who doesn't squeak at his players during games and who doesn't look like he's half retarded when the camera pans on him.
Most of the time, Mike Brown either looks like he smelled a bad fart or lost the use of his jaw muscles. D'Antoni is not much better either; he usually looks like he's on the toilet, constipated. Ugh.

longtime lurker
11-03-2012, 08:45 PM
Uh from one god awful coach to the next. Can't wait to see Dwight Howard shooting threes :facepalm if you guys think Mike Brown is horrible making adjustments just wait till you see D'Antoni. Just ask Knicks fans.

Foster5k
11-03-2012, 08:49 PM
Lol.

Lakers getting all these exiled coaches. First, Mike Brown who was ran out of Cleveland. Now, Dantoni who was ran out of New York.

Mr. Jabbar
11-03-2012, 08:51 PM
A worthy sucesor of mr potato head :lol

blablabla
11-03-2012, 09:46 PM
what about nate mcmillan he's a solid coach definitely better than mike brown
or mike budenholzer he's been an assistant since 96

clipps
11-03-2012, 10:05 PM
-Mike D becomes the Lakers new head coach.
-Lakers win 2 games in a row and the Lakers "fans" come back to troll ISH
-Steve Nash comes back and Mike D tries to run an offense through Nash.
-Kobe gets butthurt and does his own thing(similar to 40pts in losing fashion).
-Last scenario gets repeated 3 or 4 games in a row.
-I laugh
-Clippers are on the news for something positive.
-5 threads on the first page of ISH has something to do with Nah/Mike D hate started from Laker "fans"
-I laugh again
-Lakers win their first game(just kidding, they'll probably have 3 or 4 by then)
-Clippers lose 2 straight and CF86 calls for Vinny's head
-Laker fans speculate on Vinny being their new head coach.
-I laugh again.

raprap
11-03-2012, 10:10 PM
I could coach this team better than mike brown :lol

clipps
11-03-2012, 10:26 PM
I could coach this team better than mike brown :lol

We would all be the best GM's and Owners ever.

daily
11-04-2012, 12:11 AM
No D'Antoni, please!
The Lakers need stability. They need someone who can gain the respect of all the players. They need someone- and I can't believe I am saying this about a NBA head coach- who will actually have a set rotation and not run Kobe and the other stars into the ground by January and who can make adjustments after halftime. I do not think D'Antoni is that coach. I'd like Jerry Sloan.
As a fan who watches every game, I'd just like a coach who doesn't squeak at his players during games and who doesn't look like he's half retarded when the camera pans on him.
Most of the time, Mike Brown either looks like he smelled a bad fart or lost the use of his jaw muscles. D'Antoni is not much better either; he usually looks like he's on the toilet, constipated. Ugh.

It's not true. It's a guy who runs a blog and makes a bunch of tweets a week usually just copying stuff off ESPN and yahoo and trying to pass it off as his own, he never links to stories. now and then he starts making stuff up, you should have seen him during the Howard trade talks.

The only reason it's on Lazenby's twitter feed is because the guy tweeted it to Lazenby, as Lazenby said later in the day "don't blame me I just shared it"

VegasLakerFan
11-04-2012, 12:17 AM
It's not true. It's a guy who runs a blog and makes a bunch of tweets a week usually just copying stuff off ESPN and yahoo and trying to pass it off as his own, he never links to stories. now and then he starts making stuff up, you should have seen him during the Howard trade talks.

The only reason it's on Lazenby's twitter feed is because the guy tweeted it to Lazenby, as Lazenby said later in the day "don't blame me I just shared it"

Regardless, he's one of the few coaches I can see the Lakers looking into if/when they decide to ditch Brown. No thanks.

daily
11-04-2012, 12:24 AM
Regardless, he's one of the few coaches I can see the Lakers looking into if/when they decide to ditch Brown. No thanks.I'm with you on that. Lakers front office isn't that stupid either.

gilalizard
11-04-2012, 12:33 AM

Oy vey

gilalizard
11-04-2012, 12:41 AM
lol don't rub it in

that's just cruel

VegasLakerFan
11-04-2012, 12:46 AM

Wait...Mr. Potato Head...PRINGLES are made from potatoes.
Oh F***.

gilalizard
11-04-2012, 12:47 AM

Kobe often blew off Phil ****ing Jackson.

Who's he gonna listen to?

Lakers_Kobe_Fan
11-04-2012, 01:00 AM
-Mike D becomes the Lakers new head coach.
-Lakers win 2 games in a row and the Lakers "fans" come back to troll ISH
-Steve Nash comes back and Mike D tries to run an offense through Nash.
-Kobe gets butthurt and does his own thing(similar to 40pts in losing fashion).
-Last scenario gets repeated 3 or 4 games in a row.
-I laugh
-Clippers are on the news for something positive.
-5 threads on the first page of ISH has something to do with Nah/Mike D hate started from Laker "fans"
-I laugh again
-Lakers win their first game(just kidding, they'll probably have 3 or 4 by then)
-Clippers lose 2 straight and CF86 calls for Vinny's head
-Laker fans speculate on Vinny being their new head coach.
-I laugh again.

I look at the rings scoreboard 16- 0
I laugh
I look again
I laugh again

Kiddlovesnets
11-04-2012, 01:32 AM
Many people are saying that hes a bad coach, but oh well, hes at least better than Mike Brown. May not be a huge improvement, but a slight improvement is better than none.
:sleeping

el gringos
11-04-2012, 01:44 AM
The worry is Carmelo had the same thoughts Kobe has of dantoni from the Olympics coaching before he played for him as a knick. He lost Carmelo pretty quick. Though it takes a humble person to coach men- the Knicks experiance probobaly had an effect on dantoni- I think D'antoni would be the best coach for this situation and would be very good w the lakers

Walker
11-04-2012, 02:09 AM
I would imagine using a NFL style system would work best.
Keep brown and use him as a defensive coordinator and Pringles as offensive coordinator.

ZeN
11-04-2012, 12:37 PM
It would be fun to watch if they really buy into the system.. but Im sure the lack of defense and winning strategy will inevitably have them not close to winning a championship.

hangintheair
11-04-2012, 04:29 PM

Epic Fail:facepalm

TheBigVeto
11-04-2012, 06:25 PM
D'Antoni is not a bad coach. He's better than Mike Brown.

Clutch
11-04-2012, 06:33 PM
D'Antoni is not a bad coach. He's better than Mike Brown.
http://i.imgur.com/UB1eV.gif

knickswin
11-04-2012, 06:37 PM
as long as kobe and dwight don't decide to be malcontents like melo (obviously, no worries regarding nash and pau), mike would be a good fit.

Kobe used to idolize mike d'antoni when mike played in italy, so that's a start.

magnax1
11-04-2012, 06:43 PM
He's way better then Brown. That's for certain.