PDA

View Full Version : Blake Griffin or Carmelo Anthony?

NumberSix
11-07-2012, 12:44 AM
Who is the better player? I got BG.

eliteballer
11-07-2012, 12:45 AM
Melo's better, he's better at creating his own offense which makes him more dominant at the biggest strength these two guys have.

RRR3
11-07-2012, 12:45 AM
Carmelo by ten miles.

Heavincent
11-07-2012, 12:47 AM
Carmelo, easily. Besides being more athletic, what is Griffin better at?

TheeBeast
11-07-2012, 12:49 AM
I'd pick Melo

dilley
11-07-2012, 12:50 AM
Seriously?

Xiao Yao You
11-07-2012, 01:00 AM
Griffin

ncrizzle
11-07-2012, 01:01 AM
Melo and its not that close

Rekindled
11-07-2012, 01:02 AM
Melo at the 4 > griffin
Melo at the 3 <griffin

kNicKz
11-07-2012, 01:55 AM
Who is the better player? I got BG.

troll

http://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash3/545334_10151516904069616_1807370619_n.jpg

umadtho

RRR3
11-07-2012, 01:58 AM
troll

http://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash3/545334_10151516904069616_1807370619_n.jpg

umadtho
Not even going to say it. You already know. :D

Fudge
11-07-2012, 02:00 AM
Melo is better than Griffin at every single thing besides rebounding. :no:

EDIT: ...and dunking.

Meticode
11-07-2012, 02:05 AM
Carmelo Anthony, they're kind of polar opposites. Griffin is a superior athelete, with his skill not maximizing while Anthony is a great skilled player, but his atheletic ability isn't as high as you think it should be.

fsvr54
11-07-2012, 02:09 AM
This is a joke right?

miggyme1
11-07-2012, 02:11 AM
Carmelo Anthony, they're kind of polar opposites. Griffin is a superior athelete, with his skill not maximizing while Anthony is a great skilled player, but his atheletic ability isn't as high as you think it should be.

lol u crazy.anthony isnt more athletic than blake but he is more athletic than most people give him credit for.

Clippersfan86
11-07-2012, 02:16 AM
I love how when voted on before and ranked by ESPN and SLAM very few people questioned Blake being above Melo as an all around player.... but now that Melo is off to a great start after 3 games and Blake is off to a subpar one 4 games in people suddenly act like it's insane to pose the question. Goes to show how fickle people are. Both are 10-15 ish ranked players (Griffin will go up from where he is now obviously and Melo will come down).

Meticode
11-07-2012, 02:20 AM
lol u crazy.anthony isnt more athletic than blake but he is more athletic than most people give him credit for.
He's not super athlete as Blake, he's not even in the same conversation. He's not even the second most athletic player on his team.

Meticode
11-07-2012, 02:21 AM
I love how when voted on before and ranked by ESPN and SLAM very few people questioned Blake being above Melo as an all around player.... but now that Melo is off to a great start after 3 games and Blake is off to a subpar one 4 games in people suddenly act like it's insane to pose the question. Goes to show how fickle people are. Both are 10-15 ish ranked players (Griffin will go up from where he is now obviously and Melo will come down).
Personally, since Blake has been in the league I never felt at any point he was a greater player than Anthony. I just haven't seen the progression in his game to warrant that. I feel Carmelo is going to have to decline for Blake to be better.

RRR3
11-07-2012, 02:21 AM
He's not super athlete as Blake, he's not even in the same conversation. He's not even the second most athletic player on his team.
Or third or fourth. Melo doesn't rely on athleticism that much.

Clippersfan86
11-07-2012, 02:23 AM
Personally, since Blake has been in the league I never felt at any point he was a greater player than Anthony. I just haven't seen the progression in his game to warrant that. I feel Carmelo is going to have to decline for Blake to be better.

Sure but even if you feel Melo is better people are saying it's a ridiculous question like there is a big gap. Griffin's last two years were better than Melo's last two years in terms of stats and all around impact. Right now? Obviously Melo is playing like an MVP contender and Griffin is playing like crap, so if you're asking about at this exact moment obviously Melo. I don't base full blown player rankings on 3 or 4 games though. Just like unlike most people I don't feel like Dirk is the best PF in the game easily just based on a dominant playoff showing.

Y2Gezee
11-07-2012, 02:24 AM

Which is why he will remain better than Blake....maybe forever.

Tking714
11-07-2012, 02:26 AM

Thats not a a bad thing at all when he's behind high flyers like Shump, JR, Amare(former-ish highflyer), Chandler :lol

RRR3
11-07-2012, 02:30 AM
Which is why he will remain better than Blake....maybe forever.
Seems fairly likely.

Meticode
11-07-2012, 02:33 AM
Sure but even if you feel Melo is better people are saying it's a ridiculous question like there is a big gap. Griffin's last two years were better than Melo's last two years in terms of stats and all around impact. Right now? Obviously Melo is playing like an MVP contender and Griffin is playing like crap, so if you're asking about at this exact moment obviously Melo. I don't base full blown player rankings on 3 or 4 games though. Just like unlike most people I don't feel like Dirk is the best PF in the game easily just based on a dominant playoff showing.
I feel there's a slight gap between them. Probably a larger one than what you feel.

Tking714
11-07-2012, 02:41 AM
Melo is leaps and bounds a better shooter and post player. Rebounding isn't that huge of a gap. Melo can bang with the best if asked, he just sticks on the perimeter because he's asked to do that. His shot is deadlyyy

Blake is ok, but he is force-fed his looks. Blake is clearly an elite rebounder, but melo is usually one of the top 3 SF's in rebounding.

Clippersfan86
11-07-2012, 02:41 AM
I feel there's a slight gap between them. Probably a larger one than what you feel.

And I respectfully disagree. Griffin has the better metrics, better raw numbers and commands more of the defense than Melo in the average game due to his damage in the paint. Not to mention the fact that he's even comparable at 23 years old shows just how good he really is. Rather than overrated like most people think, Griffin has become one of the most underrated. People act like dude has no impact and just dunks and occasionally rebounds. Griffin was top 7 in scoring his first two seasons, top 7 in rebounding his first two years and the only player in the NBA to average 20+,11+,3+ in the last two seasons.

Melo scores 3 ppg more the last two years but he also takes 5 more shots a game and isn't getting hurt at the free throw line like Griffin was. Griffin may still end up with a 25 ppg this season. The reason I give it a chance is because I don't expect him to remain this passive and his free throw shooting is at 68 percent this year so far and his jumper has been pretty money. Now it's just a matter of him demanding the ball and attacking more.

SevereUpInHere
11-07-2012, 02:44 AM
Griffin couldn't be anywhere near as effective in our team as Melo is. He's not in the same stratosphere as far as clutch shot making ability. He can't make his shot anywhere near as well as Melo. Griffin is obviously a better rebounder, but that's all I really think he has over Melo as far as production goes.

Melo is a 1st option, I really don't think Griffin is. He puts up 1st option numbers, but he's got CP for making plays and shots down the stretch. That's the main difference.

Clippersfan86
11-07-2012, 02:47 AM
Melo is leaps and bounds a better shooter and post player. Rebounding isn't that huge of a gap. Melo can bang with the best if asked, he just sticks on the perimeter because he's asked to do that. His shot is deadlyyy

Blake is ok, but he is force-fed his looks. Blake is clearly an elite rebounder, but melo is usually one of the top 3 SF's in rebounding.

Biggest myth about Blake. Blake got more touches, more usage, more possession time and more shots BEFORE CP3 and also when Baron was down with injury. These ball dominant PG's actually hurt his numbers based on all the evidence. I think he needs a Nash or Rondo type PG that is ALWAYS looking to pass, run PNR and looking for cutters and fastbreaking players.

Meticode
11-07-2012, 02:50 AM
And I respectfully disagree. Griffin has the better metrics, better raw numbers and commands more of the defense than Melo in the average game due to his damage in the paint. Not to mention the fact that he's even comparable at 23 years old shows just how good he really is. Rather than overrated like most people think, Griffin has become one of the most underrated. People act like dude has no impact and just dunks and occasionally rebounds. Griffin was top 7 in scoring his first two seasons, top 7 in rebounding his first two years and the only player in the NBA to average 20+,11+,3+ in the last two seasons.

Melo scores 3 ppg more the last two years but he also takes 5 more shots a game and isn't getting hurt at the free throw line like Griffin was. Griffin may still end up with a 25 ppg this season. The reason I give it a chance is because I don't expect him to remain this passive and his free throw shooting is at 68 percent this year so far and his jumper has been pretty money. Now it's just a matter of him demanding the ball and attacking more.
Thanks for the post. :D

Sarcastic
11-07-2012, 02:53 AM
Blake's game hasn't changed since his rookie year. It may have even gone backwards at this point, what with the knee injury and all. What's he gonna do when he can't jump through the ceiling anymore?

Clippersfan86
11-07-2012, 02:53 AM
Thanks for the post. :D

I'm just saying... it's not just random hype that leads ESPN+Slam to rank Griffin above Melo a spot or two. Sure they get the rankings wrong sometimes but if there is a fair sized gap like you say that anomaly wouldn't exist. Also by NBA writers Griffin was All NBA 2nd team, Melo was on 3rd team. Doesn't point to a gap in favor of Melo.

brandonislegend
11-07-2012, 02:55 AM
Griffin most overrated player in the league.

Meticode
11-07-2012, 02:56 AM
I'm just saying... it's not just random hype that leads ESPN+Slam to rank Griffin above Melo a spot or two. Sure they get the rankings wrong sometimes but if there is a fair sized gap like you say that anomaly wouldn't exist. Also by NBA writers Griffin was All NBA 2nd team, Melo was on 3rd team. Doesn't point to a gap in favor of Melo.
I know, I was legitimately thanking you for post and insight. I totally understand where you're coming from, but it doesn't change my opinion of what I've thought of Anthony and Blake the last two or three years. I feel Anthony is the superior player.

Clippersfan86
11-07-2012, 02:59 AM
I know, I was legitimately thanking you for post and insight. I totally understand where you're coming from, but it doesn't change my opinion of what I've thought of Anthony and Blake the last two or three years. I feel Anthony is the superior player.

Oh thought you were being sarcastic. Yea I'm open to the idea and they are close IMO to where I would never criticize somebody for in general saying Melo is better. What I criticize is when people say "clear gap" "noticeable gap" or "big gap" etc.

bluechox2
11-07-2012, 02:59 AM
blake is walking on the exact career path of amare...he better get that jumper on automatic

Clippersfan86
11-07-2012, 03:02 AM
blake is walking on the exact career path of amare...he better get that jumper on automatic

Have you watched this year? His jumper is much nicer, smoother and his free throw shooting is at 68 percent. His defense is better as well. His big problems right now are...

1. He's playing passive and shook. Dude looks like he's defeated and afraid to go at people like he usually does.

2. His post game is the ugliest it's been in his career. He keeps doing that thing where he spins into two defenders, gets stuck and throws up UGLY ass shots.

3. He's passing WAY too much and not demanding the ball enough. Dude seems to be trying to play PG instead of PF.

4. His rebounding is at 8 ppg which is terrible for him. He's getting thrown around and beaten up in the paint like I've never seen before.

Meticode
11-07-2012, 03:04 AM
Oh thought you were being sarcastic. Yea I'm open to the idea and they are close IMO to where I would never criticize somebody for in general saying Melo is better. What I criticize is when people say "clear gap" "noticeable gap" or "big gap" etc.
There's a noticeable gap to me. :lol Not huge, but when I saw the question I didn't even have to think about it. Blake just hasn't progressed well to me. I haven't seen any improvement in him in the last couple years at all.

Meticode
11-07-2012, 03:05 AM
Have you watched this year? His jumper is much nicer, smoother and his free throw shooting is at 68 percent. His defense is better as well. His big problems right now are...

1. He's playing passive and shook. Dude looks like he's defeated and afraid to go at people like he usually does.

2. His post game is the ugliest it's been in his career. He keeps doing that thing where he spins into two defenders, gets stuck and throws up UGLY ass shots.

3. He's passing WAY too much and not demanding the ball enough. Dude seems to be trying to play PG instead of PF.

4. His rebounding is at 8 ppg which is terrible for him. He's getting thrown around and beaten up in the paint like I've never seen before.
We're only 4 games into the season. I think all those things you mentioned will come back down to earth. He'll start missing his jumpers and he'll shoot 55-60% from the line. I mean you mention all these "improvements' but he's only shooting 45% from teh field, which is horrible for a player that plays as close to the basket as he does.

Maybe it's his injuries?

http://espn.go.com/los-angeles/nba/story/_/id/8601416/blake-griffin-los-angeles-clippers-play-wednesday-burst-bursa-sac-elbow-neck-strain

SevereUpInHere
11-07-2012, 03:05 AM
Clippersfan86, how do you think Griffin would do playing Melo's role on the Knicks, and vice versa?

Clutch
11-07-2012, 03:09 AM
Melo is much better at scoring and creating his own shot. He's also a better defender and passer. Basically the only thing Griffin is better at is dunking and rebounding.

Griffin couldn't be #1 scoring option like Melo is. Guy can't hit a free throw to save his life.

Clippersfan86
11-07-2012, 03:11 AM
We're only 4 games into the season. I think all those things you mentioned will come back down to earth. He'll start missing his jumpers and he'll shoot 55-60% from the line. I mean you mention all these "improvements' but he's only shooting 45% from teh field, which is horrible for a player that plays as close to the basket as he does.

Maybe it's his injuries?

http://espn.go.com/los-angeles/nba/story/_/id/8601416/blake-griffin-los-angeles-clippers-play-wednesday-burst-bursa-sac-elbow-neck-strain

His elbow bursitis and strained neck shouldn't be affecting him this much so I don't buy it. He seems mentally checked out and I have no freaking clue why. Blake's missing a lot of the post shots and finishes at the rim he usually makes but his midrange shot has been better, that's all I said. I don't expect the free throws or jumper to decline because it's due to his new shooting form and work with shooting coach.

Who BTW said Griffin's shot improved more in two months than Kidd's did in a year in a half with him. Thate said "Griffin won't be a good shooter, but a GREAT one eventually". He said this because of how hard of a worker Griffin is and how much progress he had seen.

I expect Griffin to still have the best year of his career, I'm just very bummed at how vulnerable he looks mentally.

Clippersfan86
11-07-2012, 03:12 AM
Melo is much better at scoring and creating his own shot. He's also a better defender and passer. Basically the only thing Griffin is better at is dunking and rebounding.

Griffin couldn't be #1 scoring option like Melo is. Guy can't hit a free throw to save his life.

Huh?

Griffin has averaged 3.5+ apg the last 2 seasons+these 4 games. Melo has averaged 3. Not to mention Griffin is a much smarter passer IMO. So more like...

Scoring=Melo
Defense=Melo
Rebounding=Griffin
Passing=Griffin

Not to mention one is a 9 year vet the other is a 3rd year.

SevereUpInHere
11-07-2012, 03:14 AM
Huh?

Griffin has averaged 3.5+ apg the last 2 seasons+these 4 games. Melo has averaged 3. Not to mention Griffin is a much smarter passer IMO. So more like...

Scoring=Melo
Defense=Melo
Rebounding=Griffin
Passing=Griffin

Deal with my question...

Clippersfan86
11-07-2012, 03:17 AM
Deal with my question...

If Griffin would do well in NY right now? I honestly think he would do better than he is now due to how great your PG's have been at feeding Melo (assuming they did same with Blake as they should). So yes, he would be playing great. Better than Melo is? Impossible to say honestly. Melo is around his career averages right now numbers wise if you look at his numbers.

Clutch
11-07-2012, 03:18 AM
Huh?

Scoring=Melo
Defense=Melo
Rebounding=Griffin
Passing=Griffin

Do you expect Griffin can be #1 option like Melo and lead his team,especially in the 4th quarter ?
And I'm talking about right now,not for 4-5 years or whatever.

Personally I think Blake is a very good player but he's simply not that #1 option guy. Put him in Melo's position and he'll struggle or at least he won't play as good as he's now. You can't just give him the ball and say "make a basket". He doesn't have a jumpshot,his post game isn't terrific and basically you can foul him at any time because you know he'll probably miss at least one free throw.
He would get some nice passes from Felton,Kidd and Prigioni though but he has CP3 in LA who is much better than any of those three.

RRR3
11-07-2012, 03:19 AM
You can't base passing skill solely off APG, that's silliness.

Clippersfan86
11-07-2012, 03:20 AM
Do you expect Griffin can be #1 option like Melo and lead his team,especially in the 4th quarter ?
And I'm talking about right now,not for 4-5 years or whatever.

Personally I think Blake is a very good player but he's simply not that #1 option guy. Put him in Melo's position and he'll struggle or at least he won't play as good as he's now. You can't just give him the ball and say "make a basket". He doesn't have a jumpshot,his post game isn't terrific and basically you can foul him at any time because you know he'll probably miss at least one free throw.

No I don't think right now Griffin can be as effective as a 1st option as Melo this early in his development. I never tried to imply Griffin was an equal scorer or go to player though. The point is that's not what makes a player good or better than a player. Obviously it's very important but you don't have to be a go to player to be a better player than somebody else or on the same tier.

Tking714
Biggest myth about Blake. Blake got more touches, more usage, more possession time and more shots BEFORE CP3 and also when Baron was down with injury. These ball dominant PG's actually hurt his numbers based on all the evidence. I think he needs a Nash or Rondo type PG that is ALWAYS looking to pass, run PNR and looking for cutters and fastbreaking players.

Because he was force-fed the ball and was the only option. It was either him, Aminu, or Eric Gordon in a Suit.

Clippersfan86
You can't base passing skill solely off APG, that's silliness.

Griffin is also a more willing and smarter passer as I said. It's not based on raw numbers, they just help.

SevereUpInHere
11-07-2012, 03:21 AM
If Griffin would do well in NY right now? I honestly think he would do better than he is now due to how great your PG's have been at feeding Melo (assuming they did same with Blake as they should). So yes, he would be playing great. Better than Melo is? Impossible to say honestly. Melo is around his career averages right now numbers wise if you look at his numbers.

Griffin would get his numbers during the game for sure, just like he does now. Melo is a game winner though. I bet even you don't trust Blake to get a score when the game is on the line, hell, even when the shot clock is running down. Let's not act like Melo is a product of our PGs.

Clippersfan86
11-07-2012, 03:22 AM
Because he was force-fed the ball and was the only option. It was either him, Aminu, or Eric Gordon in a Suit.

You were saying in the present he's force fed which is UNTRUE which was my point. Make up your mind on where you're trying to go with this man.

Clippersfan86
11-07-2012, 03:23 AM
Griffin would get his numbers during the game for sure, just like he does now. Melo is a game winner though. I bet even you don't trust Blake to get a score when the game is on the line, hell, even when the shot clock is running down. Let's not act like Melo is a product of our PGs.

No I don't trust Griffin with the game on the line. Ironically as a rookie he was very underrated in the clutch and had HUGE shots and rebounds to seal games. Yet these last two years he seems VERY shook in the clutch. Maybe CP3's control over the team has taken away his confidence to be the guy sometimes? Who fu**ing knows.

Y2Gezee
11-07-2012, 03:26 AM

I think you're imagining things. Melo gets more attention just trying to get post position or going through screens to open himself up, than Blake when he has the ball in his hands within 12 ft of the rim.

Tking714
11-07-2012, 03:28 AM
You were saying in the present he's force fed which is UNTRUE which was my point. Make up your mind on where you're trying to go with this man.

I'm talking present, jump-shotless, post-moveless, force-fed Blake. YOU brought up pre-cp3 and Baron days and I responded to that as well.

Clippersfan86
11-07-2012, 03:28 AM
I think you're imagining things. Melo gets more attention just trying to get post position or going through screens to open himself up, than Blake when he has the ball in his hands within 12 ft of the rim.

Post players 9 out of 10 times are going to see more traps and doubles than perimeter players. I understand Melo gets to the rim more than most wing players but no he doesn't see anywhere near the defensive attention Griffin does on a nightly basis.

SevereUpInHere
11-07-2012, 03:29 AM
No I don't trust Griffin with the game on the line. Ironically as a rookie he was very underrated in the clutch and had HUGE shots and rebounds to seal games. Yet these last two years he seems VERY shook in the clutch. Maybe CP3's control over the team has taken away his confidence to be the guy sometimes? Who fu**ing knows.

Post players 9 out of 10 times are going to see more traps and doubles than perimeter players. I understand Melo gets to the rim more than most wing players but no he doesn't see anywhere near the defensive attention Griffin does on a nightly basis.

Maybe CP3 is hindering his development.

The ability to score with the game on the line is a bigger deal than you're making it out to be. To truly be a great player in this league you need to be able to close out games. That's the difference between Melo and Griffin

Bolded part is absolutely untrue also.

Clippersfan86
11-07-2012, 03:32 AM
Maybe CP3 is hindering his development.

The ability to score with the game on the line is a bigger deal than you're making it out to be. To truly be a great player in this league you need to be able to close out games. That's the difference between Melo and Griffin

I agree it's valuable man. Not taking that away from Melo at all. Just saying I would group being a go to player in with the scoring edge which I already said Melo clearly has. I think they are both tier 2 stars. Not "superstars" obviously but perennial all star caliber players.

Melo is in his prime obviously, Griffin isn't yet (unless he just becomes flat out mentally broken and regresses for good). I just wish I could see ahead 3 years and see where Griffin will be at development wise.

If I was the Clippers GM I'd be calling Boston to offer CP3 for Rondo right now though. Rondo isn't better all around IMO but fit wise I think Blake will blow up next to Rondo.

Y2Gezee
11-07-2012, 03:45 AM

Melo is a post player. One of the best post players in the NBA. Better than Blake Griffin could ever imagine becoming.

Clippersfan86
11-07-2012, 03:48 AM
Melo is a post player. One of the best post players in the NBA. Better than Blake Griffin could ever imagine becoming.

Sure he has a more refined, complete post arsenal but no he isn't a more productive post player. Griffin led the NBA in points in the paint last year and was an elite finisher within 5 feet (more so than Melo) and almost led the league as a rookie.

ClutchOver9000
11-07-2012, 03:50 AM
lol Melo is so disrespected its actually become comical to me...

bdreason
11-07-2012, 03:51 AM
It's Melo. Griffin is going to have to make significant improvements to even be considered in the same category as Melo.

brandonislegend
11-07-2012, 04:12 AM
The delusion that CF86 brings to a thread is beyond belief.

Clippersfan86
11-07-2012, 04:20 AM
The delusion that CF86 brings to a thread is beyond belief.

Your one liners which bring zero discussion, insight or substance to anything you post in this forum are pretty awesome. I don't think I've ever seen you post anything worth a damn in the time you've been here. Everything is dickish 1 liners similar to what Nugzfan does.

Whoah10115
11-07-2012, 04:21 AM

Considering you wanted him traded last night, I don't think you have much to say about this.

Clippersfan86
11-07-2012, 04:26 AM
Considering you wanted him traded last night, I don't think you have much to say about this.

I mentioned him not being untradable like I previously considered him. Never said flat out I want him gone or he should be traded. If I did it was obviously me just raging. Even if that is the case doesn't mean I can't vouch for him ever again, not sure what logic that is you're using (I'm going to lean towards none in this case).

You're a fair poster in general but this post isn't valid IMO.

Doranku
11-07-2012, 04:28 AM

I don't know if I've ever been this angry or disappointed in the Clippers in 13+ years. So much talent yet no fu**ing heart. They don't seem to have any direction, any focus. I'd be looking to trade DJ, let CP3 walk and extend Bledsoe and sign a different max player. I'd then be open to Griffin trades while his value is high because dude mentally looks broken and weak this year.

:confusedshrug:

Fudge
11-07-2012, 04:29 AM
:oldlol:

Whoah10115
11-07-2012, 04:31 AM
I mentioned him not being untradable like I previously considered him. Never said flat out I want him gone or he should be traded. If I did it was obviously me just raging. Even if that is the case doesn't mean I can't vouch for him ever again, not sure what logic that is you're using (I'm going to lean towards none in this case).

It's a valid point tho, isn't it? An overreaction (tho at least emotionally based), just like this is an overreaction thread.

And this thread is an overreaction thread, not on the choice or even or the gap people see, but in the way everyone is bashing Griffin. I have no idea why people are so sure this guy is all athleticism and nothing more. I guess they don't actually watch him play basketball.

Also, the Amare comparison is stupid and lazy. Even Melo haters are hating on Griffin.

Legends66NBA7
11-07-2012, 04:31 AM
I'd take Carmelo Anthony.

Now, Griffin does have a better rebounding, can pass better, and uses is athletic ability a lot. But he's seriously lacking in a lot of things I would take Melo for.

Much more skilled scorer: jab step, versatility to create more mis-matches, mid-range, 3-point shot, etc... Something Blake's missing is that consistent jumper. Also, the biggest thing that makes me trust Melo's offense much more is his clutch play down the stretch (at least regular season wise). Melo has the 3rd most game winners for a reason and is the best converting them from all active players. That's probably going to up more this year.

On the other hand, Chris Paul is going to the player carrying his team in the clutch and can do pretty much what Melo does that separates himself as well from Blake: create for himself and others.

Maybe I'm ragging too much about clutch scenarios, but that something very clear to me.

Defensively, neither are great but Melo can definitely give more above average defense at times.And then you have the playoffs and while this is Griffin's 3rd season, Melo is just much proven in the playoffs between the two.

Until Blake's jump shot and defense show much more improvement, it's Melo for me.

Clippersfan86
11-07-2012, 04:44 AM

What does this prove? Should I dig up the classic Lakers fan threads about how the world is over after a couple losses as well? All this shows is my expectations have been raised and when sh** goes bad I blew up (REALLY sad that a Lakers fan of all people would point this out). This is like normal behavior for you guys.

Clippersfan86
11-07-2012, 04:44 AM
It's a valid point tho, isn't it? An overreaction (tho at least emotionally based), just like this is an overreaction thread.

And this thread is an overreaction thread, not on the choice or even or the gap people see, but in the way everyone is bashing Griffin. I have no idea why people are so sure this guy is all athleticism and nothing more. I guess they don't actually watch him play basketball.

Also, the Amare comparison is stupid and lazy. Even Melo haters are hating on Griffin.

Fair enough :cheers:

Rubio2Gasol
11-07-2012, 04:50 AM
It's not a knock on Griffin.

For me Melo is one of the biggest assets you can have in the game, and has always been , would take him far ahead of most power forwards currently.

joeyjoejoe
11-07-2012, 04:57 AM
Melo and im a clipper fan, theres a lot of talk about clutch and for a good reason griffin last year had to even taken out at the end of some closr games with turnovers and hack a blake was frustrating to watch, cp3 saved them many times, i dont think blakes ready to be the man on a winning team melo on the other hand is proven

jlitt
11-07-2012, 05:14 AM
Melo will never be a winner in the NBA.

He is about as talented a half court scorer I have ever seen. He literally can score in more ways than any nba wing player ever. He can dominate the post. Has one of the best mid range games ever and can draw fouls at will. He is a lazy defender as expected for most players that handle the scoring load but he can really d up when he needs to.

The main thing about melo though is his production does not translate into winning. He does not make his teammates better.

Blake is not nearly as gifted as melo. But here is the thing. he is much more efficient. A pf that can avg 22 pts a game on 55 percent fg shooting is very remarkable and shows the discipline Blake plays with. He rarely takes a bad shot and does not have the offense run through him.

The 2 knocks on blake though are his terrible d and his free throw shooting. Id say that his teririble d is not a big deal since they have jordan down low too. But if he ever becomes a 75 percent free throw shooter he could be an mvp one day.

Melo is the better player, but he had had more time to show if he can win or not. I just dont think he will ever win that is why i go with blake every time.

Y2Gezee
11-07-2012, 05:35 AM
Sure he has a more refined, complete post arsenal but no he isn't a more productive post player. Griffin led the NBA in points in the paint last year and was an elite finisher within 5 feet (more so than Melo) and almost led the league as a rookie.

I'm gonna say this and just leave it alone.

Stats like that don't prove your point. He gets points in the paint from transition, some dumpoff passes, back cuts, whatever....as well as his post game or drives. Blakes post game/drive game one on one can be handled by a single quality defender....I mean sure he'd f*ck up David Lee or something, but not Pau or Dwight or Surge or Perkins on a nightly basis to where a defense has to shift to stop him. Blake gets his points in ISO, but he's not capable of carrying an offense doing so...he's gotta get points off pick and roll, transition, offensive boards, finishes at the rim from someone else creating the shot in order to be a 25ppg scorer. In other words, his post game isn't going to shift the defense enough to really make everyone better or open them up from a simple pass. (And I saw someone say Blakes a better passer than Melo in this thread, which is a sad sad joke :facepalm ), and aside from that he can't be given the ball in a critical situation and be expected to get you a basket.

Melo on the other hand is an advantage in the low/midpost vs anyone he plays one on one....EVERYONE. Therefore Melo can get a very good shot for himself, anytime he's played one on one. And when he's doubled (which he always is in the post), he can change the defense and open things up for others. Whether that's an open jumpshot, open driving lane, or cutting lane right to the basket.

In otherwords, Melo's post game is more effective than Blakes.

Clutch
11-07-2012, 08:19 AM
Griffin has much room to improve but if I'm not mistaken I haven't seen much improvement in his game since he came to the league. Actually this season he has looked even worse,like he regressed (but it's probably too early to judge,he played only like 4 games).

His numbers are actually worse every year. Not saying it's impossible for him to become better but what may I ask you guys why do you think he's going to improve much in the coming years ? It's already his 3rd season in the NBA and I don't see much improvement. He's a very good player but I just don't think he'll ever be an elite player in this league.

Ikill
11-07-2012, 08:37 AM
Melos a good athlete great strength and first step but in his denver day early years he had the entire package and imo was an elite athlete.

Pacers4ever
11-07-2012, 09:04 AM
Melo imo

http://img841.imageshack.us/img841/3019/melodb.jpg

SilkkTheShocker
11-07-2012, 10:19 AM
Both have been past the 1st round the same amount of times

Clippersfan86
11-07-2012, 12:17 PM
Griffin has much room to improve but if I'm not mistaken I haven't seen much improvement in his game since he came to the league. Actually this season he has looked even worse,like he regressed (but it's probably too early to judge,he played only like 4 games).

His numbers are actually worse every year. Not saying it's impossible for him to become better but what may I ask you guys why do you think he's going to improve much in the coming years ? It's already his 3rd season in the NBA and I don't see much improvement. He's a very good player but I just don't think he'll ever be an elite player in this league.

This is a myth. Griffin's PER jumped two full points last year. He improved his post game, defense and jumper. His efficiency was up as well. His raw numbers were down because of all the talent around him by he was a better player overall, no question. Blake led the entire NBA in on and off court differential. His impact is much better than people realize.

millwad
11-07-2012, 01:31 PM
This is a myth. Griffin's PER jumped two full points last year. He improved his post game, defense and jumper. His efficiency was up as well. His raw numbers were down because of all the talent around him by he was a better player overall, no question. Blake led the entire NBA in on and off court differential. His impact is much better than people realize.

No.

upside24
11-07-2012, 02:27 PM
Carmelo by ten miles.
This.

Griffin is still raw shooting free throws poorly while not having a jumper relying on athleticism and a derth of quality bigs.

Melo is as well rounded a scorer as just about anybody in the league and is CLUTCH.

You really want Hack-A-Griffin instead of go aheads?

knickswin
11-07-2012, 02:34 PM

honestly, this is delusional-type thinking ... this would be like me saying carmelo gets more defensive attention than lebron ...

melo's sweet spot is the left post area and he gets a ton of defensive attention anytime he posts up there because he is a total mismatch for nearly everyone one-on-one.

carmelo is a power three, kind of in the mold of bernard king (but bernard king was even more of a power three). he's at his best when he's playing like a big man.