PDA

View Full Version : Lets talk about Fat Lever...

pauk
11-08-2012, 03:58 PM
I never got to see him play but seeing his stats with those "near triple double" averages (http://www.basketball-reference.com/players/l/leverfa01.html) i cant help but wonder how good he truly was? Anybody who have seen enough of him or old enough to have seen him play in the 80s? Do you think he was/is underrated and who do you think his game kindof reminds of?

andgar923
11-08-2012, 04:07 PM
I never got to see him play but seeing his stats with those "near triple double" averages (http://www.basketball-reference.com/players/l/leverfa01.html) i cant help but wonder how good he truly was? Anybody who have seen enough of him or old enough to have seen him play in the 80s? Do you think he was/is underrated and who do you think his game kindof reminds of?

Some will make the obvious claim that he played for the Nuggets, so his stats are inflated.

pauk
11-08-2012, 04:10 PM
Some will make the obvious claim that he played for the Nuggets, so his stats are inflated.

Alright yea i am aware of that assessment, but i more like wonder how good he truly was and what player he would remind you of? I am just curious as i have never seen him play... highlights kindof doesnt do the trick entirely, need to see/know things such as intangibles, leadership, IQ, vision, ability, gamestyle etc.

andgar923
11-08-2012, 04:15 PM
Alright yea i am aware of that assessment, but i more like wonder how good he truly was and what player he would remind you of? I am just curious as i have never seen him play... highlights kindof doesnt do the trick entirely, need to see/know things such as intangibles, leadership, IQ, vision, ability etc.

I honestly don't know. Outside of a few clips and games I don't know too much about him.

But as far as the intangibles, vision, and IQ are concerned, not too many players match their predecessors. Possibly a more athletic quicker version of Kidd, with a better shot.:confusedshrug: :confusedshrug:

pauk
11-08-2012, 04:19 PM
I honestly don't know. Outside of a few clips and games I don't know too much about him.

But as far as the intangibles, vision, and IQ are concerned, not too many players match their predecessors. Possibly a more athletic quicker version of Kidd, with a better shot.:confusedshrug: :confusedshrug:

Yea that comparison crossed my mind, they were around the same size, are we talking about prime Kidd or the later Kidd? Because i remember Kidd being athletic in the 90s, he had no super vertical but he was very quick/fast/agile.

Mr. Jabbar
11-08-2012, 04:19 PM
Isn't there a "boring stuff" section in this board?, so we don't contaminate the troll wars going on with this yawn material?

pauk
11-08-2012, 04:22 PM
Isn't there a "boring stuff" section in this board?, so we don't contaminate the troll wars going on with this yawn material?

Not enough Kobe for you today?

andgar923
11-08-2012, 04:29 PM
Yea that comparison crossed my mind, they were around the same size, are we talking about prime Kidd or the later Kidd? Because i remember Kidd being athletic in the 90s, he had no super vertical but he was very quick/fast/agile.

naw, Lever seemed more athletic than prime Kidd, he reminds me more like Mike Conley.

SHAQisGOAT
11-08-2012, 04:36 PM
While it's true that those Nuggets teams played at a truly elevated pace, Fat was a great player still, gets overlooked, a lot.

Dude had great athletic ability, really fast and quick, scrappy with an amazing knack for rebounding (one of the best rebounding guards ever). Also a nice defender, really good at playing the passing lanes, he could be a bit of a gambler though, not the greatest of passers by any means but he was good at it. Solid shooter and good scorer.

Funny that the Nuggets also had T.R. Dunn in the 80's, another great rebounding guard (also really good defender).

pauk
11-08-2012, 04:40 PM
While it's true that those Nuggets teams played at a truly elevated pace, Fat was a great player still, gets overlooked, a lot.

Dude had great athletic ability, really fast and quick, scrappy with an amazing knack for rebounding (one of the best rebounding guards ever). Also a nice defender, really good at playing the passing lanes, he could be a bit of a gambler though, not the greatest of passers by any means but he was good at it. Solid shooter and good scorer.

Funny that the Nuggets also had T.R. Dunn in the 80's, another great rebounding guard (also really good defender).

Thanks! Yea, he averaged 9.3 RPG two seasons in a row, that is ridicilous for a 6'3" guy.... At that size/position sounds very much like a Jason Kidd with more athleticism indeed, perhaps even at his peak maybe not as good as Jason Kidd or?

SHAQisGOAT
11-08-2012, 04:40 PM
naw, Lever seemed more athletic than prime Kidd, he reminds me more like Mike Conley.

Yeah, Fats was faster/quicker, adding that to his great knack for rebounding he could get'em like crazy.

SHAQisGOAT
11-08-2012, 04:42 PM
Dawkins talking about Lever's nickname is one of the funniest things ever lmao:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nShgHUkJscc

SHAQisGOAT
11-08-2012, 04:52 PM
Thanks! Yea, he averaged 9.3 RPG two seasons in a row, that is ridicilous for a 6'3" guy.... At that size/position sounds very much like a Jason Kidd with more athleticism indeed, perhaps even at his peak maybe not as good as Jason Kidd or?

Nah at both their peaks Kidd was a better player. Also different players, Fat was faster and quicker, more mobile and better leaper. Kidd's a little bit taller and certainly bigger, more physical and stronger.
I would say Fat was a slight better rebounder imo, Kidd definitely the better passer, playmaker and floor general, as far as scoring it's a wash but Kidd always had low FG%'s though.
Kidd also the better defensive player no doubt, Lever was no slouch at it though, within his strengths and considering overall D for both.

pauk
11-08-2012, 04:55 PM
Nah at both their peaks Kidd was a better player. Also different players, Fat was faster and quicker, more mobile and better leaper. Kidd's a little bit taller and certainly bigger, more physical and stronger.
I would say Fat was a slight better rebounder imo, Kidd definitely the better passer, playmaker and floor general, as far as scoring it's a wash but Kidd always had low FG%'s though.
Kidd also the better defensive player no doubt, Lever was no slouch at it though, within his strengths and considering overall D for both.

I see, cant think of another player like that exactly with type of rebounding at that size included, if you take away that (rebounding) then i guess there are very many PGs you could compare him to

Horatio33
11-08-2012, 05:02 PM
It's all about the stats for you, pauk.

pauk
11-08-2012, 05:11 PM
It's all about the stats for you, pauk.

If that is true then i wouldnt find it necessary to make this thread and ask these questions wouldnt i?

TheBigVeto
11-08-2012, 06:21 PM
He's a great player.

Straight_Ballin
02-22-2016, 03:46 AM
Fat Lever is so criminally underated that this thread needs bumped. Show me a guy that averaged at least 6 ast, 6 reb, and 2 stl for their entire career. Led the league in triple doubles in 86-87, was 2nd the following year.

SexSymbol
02-22-2016, 04:24 AM
stats usually don't mean a lot.

tomtucker
02-22-2016, 04:49 AM
I believed Big baby davis retired ? :confusedshrug: