PDA

View Full Version : Who should Lakers hire as head coach now that they fired Mike Brown?

Ass Dan
11-09-2012, 12:57 PM
http://www.theheckler.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/01/2012-01-05-dantoni-pringles.jpg

Seriously, they aren't going to be able to play defense so they might as well run an offense that gets them 55 wins and hope that they have enough size to win the halfcourt game late in the playoffs.

Mike Brown is obviously in over his head running an offense designed for high school girls and I am sure Pringles could do just as well with the defense despite Brown's alleged aplomb on that end of the court.

Kobe can play the Joe Johnson role, and be Barbosa when Nash isn't on the floor. With Kobe obviously playing each role at a much higher level than the previously mentioned past semi-star ex-Suns.

Gasol and Howard can play Amare both soft and hard versions, and do a much better job on the defensive side. Dwight would actually dominate as the opposing offense would be funneled right to his wheel house.

Metta can be Shawn Marion with less pizzazz but more grit and meanness (something those old Suns lacked).

Nash, upon his return could play the Nash role.

That Suns team was a Bob Horry hipcheck away from a championship, and if you did the same screenplay, but this time with more accomplished thespians, we could be talking Oscar, that is of course if The Academy tires of LBJ.

http://img256.imageshack.us/img256/7060/dantoni.jpg

-come play my Eurof@ggy style of ball boys! Showtime 2012!

Do it Jerry, you old perv you!

Mr. Incredible
11-09-2012, 12:59 PM
:sleeping

Rekindled
11-09-2012, 12:59 PM
Mike Dantoni for head coach, demote potato head to defensive coordinater

bluechox2
11-09-2012, 01:00 PM
lakers biggest problem isnt on offense but on defense, and i doubt you will see a major improvement in winning games if pringles is coach

Mr. Incredible
11-09-2012, 01:02 PM
Mike Dantoni for head coach, demote potato head to defensive coordinater:lol You really believe he would do that? Please...

Ass Dan
11-09-2012, 01:03 PM

Pringles are a more refined form of potato in a white trashy way.

bluechox2
11-09-2012, 01:10 PM
substituting potato for another potato isnt the answer:lol

IGOTGAME
11-09-2012, 01:14 PM
Only guy I want is a motivated Jerry Sloan. The flex would be a good look for this team. I do think this team needs a system offense. Also, Sloan is a great defensive coach.

bluechox2
11-09-2012, 01:14 PM
didnt neg you...kids:facepalm

Rekindled
11-09-2012, 01:19 PM
Only guy I want is a motivated Jerry Sloan. The flex would be a good look for this team. I do think this team needs a system offense. Also, Sloan is a great defensive coach.

and nash would be awesome in Sloan's system :rockon: :rockon:

Godzuki
11-09-2012, 01:26 PM
i agree with OP. i want to see thsi team run when Nash gets back, even if some of them look old. they have too much mobile size to not take advantage of it. as things are everyone collapses down on them in halfcourt sets and the whole middle is always so clogged where they're so perimeter everything, or fouled and raped down low.

knickswin
11-09-2012, 01:34 PM
I think D'Antoni has the advantage of having the respect of these players. We know Nash respects him. Kobe respects him. Pau is a pro. Dwight will hopefully just fall in line.

D'Antoni was a bad personality for the Knicks last year, but the Knicks had a different personality profile than the Lakers. By that I guess I mean the Knicks' biggest diva, Carmelo, doesn't respect D'Antoni and the Lakers' biggest diva, Kobe, does.

knickswin
11-09-2012, 01:37 PM
what you have to understand about D'Antoni is he's casual and a bit hands off, the opposite of overbearing.

I think some players like that he treats them like men and other players feel like he doesn't give a s***.

things went very wrong last year with the Knicks, and a fair amount of the blame went on him. part of it was the front office disrespected him and didn't give him a point guard at all. but I think if nash's healthy, it'll be hard for things to go wrong.

IGOTGAME
11-09-2012, 01:38 PM
I think D'Antoni has the advantage of having the respect of these players. We know Nash respects him. Kobe respects him. Pau is a pro. Dwight will hopefully just fall in line.

D'Antoni was a bad personality for the Knicks last year, but the Knicks had a different personality profile than the Lakers. By that I guess I mean the Knicks' biggest diva, Carmelo, doesn't respect D'Antoni and the Lakers' biggest diva, Kobe, does.
Kobe lost all respect for DAntoni after all the stuff he said about him during and after those playoff series. I don't think Kobe would play for Mike DAntoni, especially with Nash on the team.

I also doubt Dwight will enjoy his philosophy of no defense.

Lastly, Mike D can't coach a team where the best player isn't a pg. All he knows how to do is maximize his pg and finishers. Lakers don't really have finishers they have 3 top notch play makers and very few finishers.

Dictator
11-09-2012, 01:38 PM
Lol at everyone calling for Mike Brown's head.

Did everyone forget LA was one or two close games away from the finals last year with a worse team?

Have some patience.

longtime lurker
11-09-2012, 01:40 PM
Just ask the Knicks how well D'antoni works out when he doesn't have his hand picked players...I can't wait to see Dwight Howard shooting 3's. On the other hand we at least know this team will be good for 60 games and if you're going to go down in a blaze of glory might as well make it entertaining. Neither pringles or potato head are suited for head coaching jobs. The perfect coach for this team would be Rick Carlisle.

daily
11-09-2012, 01:43 PM
D'Antoni? OP needs to put down the pipe

Indian guy
11-09-2012, 01:44 PM
Lakers currently rank 6th on offense, and 22nd on defense. They ranked 13th on D last season, 10th on O. When will the myth of Mike Brown being this great defensive coach end? Even Cleveland's average defensive rank in 5 seasons under him was 12. He's NOT what people think he is.

D'Antoni would be a terrible choice too. In a lot of ways, he's just as unimaginative as Mike Brown offensively. Anything less than a superstar PG and his system gets exposed. Defensively, he doesn't even have a game plan beyond "play harder". I read Jack McCallum's Seven Seconds or Less this summer, which covered Phoenix's 2006 season. He got to hang out with Phoenix's coaching staff the entire year, and D'Antoni's incompetence was something to read about. His entire basketball acumen boils down to "run on offense" and "play hard" on defense. Even when Suns' game plan repeatedly failed in the 2006 playoffs, he had no adjustments to offer beyond "continue doing what we have done all season". The guy is AWFUL and it's no surprise he sucked in NY with no superstar PG around.

Sloan would indeed be a better choice than both, but :oldlol: @ the poster above who called him a great defensive coach. Look up Utah's defensive rankings once Mark Eaton retired. Sloan may be as tough as they come, but he has churned out nothing but one soft ass defensive team after another over the years.

knickswin
11-09-2012, 01:47 PM
Kobe lost all respect for DAntoni after all the stuff he said about him during and after those playoff series. I don't think Kobe would play for Mike DAntoni, especially with Nash on the team.

I also doubt Dwight will enjoy his philosophy of no defense.

Lastly, Mike D can't coach a team where the best player isn't a pg. All he knows how to do is maximize his pg and finishers. Lakers don't really have finishers they have 3 top notch play makers and very few finishers.

well, Dwight and Pau would be finishers. I think Mike would love that front court. Dwight's the main finisher, Pau's the intellectual garbage man. but you can work mike's system with two big men. sometimes pau can space the floor. sometimes you can run the high pick and roll with pau with dwight spaced on the opposite post, ready for a dump off.

yeah, nash would be given the most responsibility, but I think I'd rather have him do the decision making than Kobe. I wouldn't worry about Kobe finding a way to get his ... plus Kobe is a very good pick and roll player as well.

DuMa
11-09-2012, 02:14 PM

Did everyone forget LA was one or two close games away from the finals last year with a worse team?

Have some patience.

um what? they lost in the 2nd round bud.

Godzuki
11-09-2012, 02:16 PM
Lakers currently rank 6th on offense, and 22nd on defense. They ranked 13th on D last season, 10th on O. When will the myth of Mike Brown being this great defensive coach end? Even Cleveland's average defensive rank in 5 seasons under him was 12. He's NOT what people think he is.

D'Antoni would be a terrible choice too. In a lot of ways, he's just as unimaginative as Mike Brown offensively. Anything less than a superstar PG and his system gets exposed. Defensively, he doesn't even have a game plan beyond "play harder". I read Jack McCallum's Seven Seconds or Less this summer, which covered Phoenix's 2006 season. He got to hang out with Phoenix's coaching staff the entire year, and D'Antoni's incompetence was something to read about. His entire basketball acumen boils down to "run on offense" and "play hard" on defense. Even when Suns' game plan repeatedly failed in the 2006 playoffs, he had no adjustments to offer beyond "continue doing what we have done all season". The guy is AWFUL and it's no surprise he sucked in NY with no superstar PG around.

Sloan would indeed be a better choice than both, but :oldlol: @ the poster above who called him a great defensive coach. Look up Utah's defensive rankings once Mark Eaton retired. Sloan may be as tough as they come, but he has churned out nothing but one soft ass defensive team after another over the years.

part of all of their TO's has to do with their pass happy offense and big men post passing everywhere, and the Lakers have always had butter fingers when they pass too much.

Godzuki
11-09-2012, 02:18 PM
Just ask the Knicks how well D'antoni works out when he doesn't have his hand picked players...I can't wait to see Dwight Howard shooting 3's. On the other hand we at least know this team will be good for 60 games and if you're going to go down in a blaze of glory might as well make it entertaining. Neither pringles or potato head are suited for head coaching jobs. The perfect coach for this team would be Rick Carlisle.

he'd have Nash, and Dwight > Amare. nevermind factoring Kobe and Pau into it

Mr. I'm So Rad
11-09-2012, 02:22 PM

Have some patience.

They lost in the 2nd round...

konex
11-09-2012, 02:25 PM
Please no D'Antoni

stallionaire
11-09-2012, 02:25 PM
Why not Pjax?

Mr. Incredible
11-09-2012, 02:26 PM
No way he coaches the baby again

konex
11-09-2012, 02:27 PM
Oh shit, I forgot about Dwight lol

niko
11-09-2012, 02:30 PM
He doesn't use bigs well, especially defensive oriented bigs. However during the Linsanity era we were playing defense but it seemed kind of self motivated. So when it didn't last it wasn't surprising.

Not sure it's a good fit.

KLovin
11-09-2012, 02:30 PM

Lol, nice oversight

wang4three
11-09-2012, 02:31 PM
It's clearly Byron Scott if they can wait till the off season.

niko
11-09-2012, 02:31 PM
Where is Phil? When's he coming back? D'Antoni? Sloan? NOPE. Phil is on his white horse back to piss everyone off.

DuMa
11-09-2012, 02:32 PM
Phil wants a 5 year 100 million contract

Indian guy
11-09-2012, 02:33 PM
Good lord, I hope not. I want to see LeBron win more championships. Getting Phil would be the end of that, for the next couple of years at least.

305Baller
11-09-2012, 02:34 PM
" Stan Van Gundy is the obvious hire"
I agree with this notion.

dirkdiggler41
11-09-2012, 02:34 PM
Please go Sloan style. He makes players play hard as fuu, shares the ball and keep demands. Kobe will love playing for him. He will also thoughen up Gasol and keep Howard doing what he does best.

305Baller
11-09-2012, 02:36 PM
How weird would a Van Gundy/Howard reunion in LA be?

All Net
11-09-2012, 02:36 PM
Wouldn't be that much of an upgrade

Jeff van gundy maybe?

lebeast666
11-09-2012, 02:37 PM
Good lord, I hope not. I want to see LeBron win more championships. Getting Phil would be the end of that, for the next couple of years at least.

Dumbest thing you could have said. Aint nobody putting an end to Miami winning championships :no:

tomtucker
11-09-2012, 02:39 PM
***** both him and his mustache :rant

Whoah10115
11-09-2012, 02:40 PM
Please go Sloan style. He makes players play hard as fuu, shares the ball and keep demands. Kobe will love playing for him. He will also thoughen up Gasol and keep Howard doing what he does best.

Yep.

Zodiac
11-09-2012, 02:40 PM
Hiring Scalabrine

wang4three
11-09-2012, 02:42 PM
I really don't think a guy like Jerry Sloan culturally fits with the ritz and glamour of LA.

305Baller
11-09-2012, 02:42 PM
this.

Whoah10115
11-09-2012, 02:43 PM
Jackson is the wrong choice.

Nash
11-09-2012, 02:43 PM
This will and should happen. He's healthier now, wants to get back to coaching and Lakers have Dwight and Nash now which is something I think Phil wants to be a part of.

shaq2000
11-09-2012, 02:44 PM
If he loved pulling strings with Kobe/Shaq and Kobe/Gasol, I bet Phil's mouth is watering at the thought of playing with a new chess piece in Dwight.

Fudge
11-09-2012, 02:45 PM
Dumbest thing you could have said. Aint nobody putting an end to Miami winning championships :no:
"lebeast666"

:roll:

niko
11-09-2012, 02:47 PM
Jackson is the wrong choice.

****ing deep analysis.

niko
11-09-2012, 02:47 PM
Lebron will when he walks his ass somewhere else. Lebron's winning titles, not Miami.

StateOfMind12
11-09-2012, 02:49 PM
This will be completely up to Phil. If Phil doesn't want to then expect Eddie Jordan to step in as the head coach.

barkleynash
11-09-2012, 02:51 PM
The next 2 moves I predict will be to bring in Dantoni, then trade Pau and Steve Blake to the raptors for Bargs, Gray, John Lucas and Landry Fields.

Nash, Lucas
kobe Meeks
Metta Fields
Bargs, Hill
Howard, Gray

Raps
Lowry, Calderon, Blake
Derozen, Ross
Kleiza, Anderson
Pau, Amir, Davis
Val, Pau

Both teams would appear to be better after that trade. La gets a stretch 4, lucas who can shoot and defend a bit on the ball, Gray, nice size off the bench and Fields as a defender off the bench.
Raps get a go to powerforward and a great inside out combo with Val. Blake takes lucas' role with Toronto.

Indian guy
11-09-2012, 02:51 PM

The guy won 11 championships with 2 superstars at the top and a bunch of role players. You think he's screwing up Kobe, Dwight, Gasol and Nash, even with no training camp? GTFOH. Phil's GOD.

Whoah10115
11-09-2012, 02:52 PM
****ing deep analysis.

Having a rough...post 2009.

If Jackson actually came out of retirement, for the Lakers, again...the Lakers don't need someone to come in and take advantage of every forward movement they make. He left LA. He needs a new challenge. It would go very stale, I believe.

Jerry Sloan is a terrific coach and he's itching to coach again. Those Utah teams were always very good, but they were carried but the best duo this side of Michael and Scottie. They also had Hornacek...but while they often had a decent bench, they didn't have many options outside of those 2. This Lakers team has an incomplete bench, but very solid guys in Hill, Jamison, Meeks...and Blake is not as bad as people make him out to be. Sloan would likely maximize him.

Also, his system is perfect for this team...especially because he wouldn't stop Nash from running. His system was always a much better evolution of what the Princeton offense is supposed to be.

derb2k2
How weird would a Van Gundy/Howard reunion in LA be?

so awkward lol

dirkdiggler41
His teams are always very hard in their playing style. A lot of great passing from big men to guard cutters. He has that Kobe hardworking mentality that the rest of the team needs, especially Gasol and Howard. He also knows how to use a point guard like Nash.

Zodiac
Scalabrine, Kobe, Dwight, Nash, and Pau

GOAT team...hands down.

#Scalabrine4Lakers

niko
11-09-2012, 02:53 PM
Having a rough...post 2009.

If Jackson actually came out of retirement, for the Lakers, again...the Lakers don't need someone to come in and take advantage of every forward movement they make. He left LA. He needs a new challenge. It would go very stale, I believe.

Jerry Sloan is a terrific coach and he's itching to coach again. Those Utah teams were always very good, but they were carried but the best duo this side of Michael and Scottie. They also had Hornacek...but while they often had a decent bench, they didn't have many options outside of those 2. This Lakers team has an incomplete bench, but very solid guys in Hill, Jamison, Meeks...and Blake is not as bad as people make him out to be. Sloan would likely maximize him.

Also, his system is perfect for this team...especially because he wouldn't stop Nash from running. His system was always a much better evolution of what the Princeton offense is supposed to be.

:lol I have high standards i expect from you!

I like Sloan but i'm not sure Laker mgmt would like him. He is very abrasive.

wang4three
11-09-2012, 02:54 PM
Still standing by my choice of Byron Scott. He's a Laker Alumni, always succeeds with a top PG, and empowers smart players like Kobe and Nash.

I mean, he's not an Xs and Os coach but a really good motivator, which is probably all LA needs.

francesco totti
11-09-2012, 02:55 PM
jackson wont take the job, because he knows miami will win the title for some years. he will only come back if winning title opportunity represents

StateOfMind12
Still standing by my choice of Byron Scott. He's a Laker Alumni, always succeeds with a top PG, and empowers smart players like Kobe and Nash.

I mean, he's not an Xs and Os coach but a really good motivator, which is probably all LA needs.
It's kind of hard to hire a coach that's already coaching another team. Chances are Lakers just hire one of the assistants to step in like Eddie Jordan.

niko

Is he free after this year? I like him a lot too.

Fudge

Didn't he sign an extension with Cleveland?

imdaman99
lol why is this a sticky? no way is ron jeremy gonna wanna coach the baby again :oldlol:

Bobcat4Ever
11-09-2012, 02:57 PM
lol why is this a sticky? no way is ron jeremy gonna wanna coach the baby again :oldlol:

:oldlol:

Faptastrophe
11-09-2012, 02:58 PM
Knee replacement surgery expected to keep Mike D'Antoni unable to coach until late December, league source tells Y! Sports (https://twitter.com/WojYahooNBA/status/266977703821987840).

KOBEtherealKing
11-09-2012, 02:59 PM

Have some patience.

one or two games? had to go through okc than spurs, no guarantee lakers would have went to the finals.

Bobcat4Ever
11-09-2012, 03:00 PM
Lakers should hire Sam Vincent

StateOfMind12
11-09-2012, 03:01 PM
He'll have Dwight Howard in the corner shooting 3s.

Lakers fans would probably say No Thanks Jeff.

dbugz
11-09-2012, 03:01 PM
Jerry Sloan can still talk? wtf Last I heard him coaching, dude is having hard time speaking already like he's gasping for air already when he talks.

Force
11-09-2012, 03:03 PM
Yes, there are about 20 teams that would obviously he better off if they fired their current coach and hired Sloan. People were screaming for Sloan to replace Vinny in Clipper land not long ago. Clips could win it all with Sloan right now possibly. Lakers should have taken Adelman or Scott when they had the chance. Sloan would be perfect for the Lakers and many other teams.

DFish
11-09-2012, 03:03 PM
Doubt he'd come back. Phil only coachers superstars while they are still in their primes so he can look like a great coach.

shaq2000
11-09-2012, 03:08 PM
Ireland on ESPN radio says they're looking to get the band back together. Frank Hamblen, Jim Cleamons, and Kurt Rambis... with you know who as the head coach.

Blue&Orange
11-09-2012, 03:15 PM
:lol

:coleman:

vegasbigshots
11-09-2012, 03:15 PM
Thought on Brown's firing?

About time?

Source: Yahoo Sports

Yung D-Will
11-09-2012, 03:16 PM
There's no way Jerry could implement his offense, and bring this team deep in the playoffs without even a full training camp. The flex isn't that simplistic

vegasbigshots
11-09-2012, 03:17 PM
Another source LA Times: http://www.latimes.com/sports/lakersnow/la-sp-ln-lakers-coach-mike-brown-fired-replaced-20121109,0,4845829.story

hawkfan
11-09-2012, 03:18 PM
Derek Fisher for head coaching job of the Lakers.

Discuss.

And post the different videos of Fisher smiling and flopping. Thank you.

dazzer87
11-09-2012, 03:18 PM
Please let this be true......:roll:

Connor B
11-09-2012, 03:19 PM
What a stupid thread.

shaq2000
11-09-2012, 03:20 PM
http://i.imgur.com/gdP1C.jpg

lakers_forever
Bill Simmons ‏@sportsguy33

2 Lakers moves that would scare me: (1) Hire Mike D'Antoni, (2) trade Pau to Atlanta for Josh Smith, Kyle Korver + Petro's expiring.

The_Yearning
It's kind of hard to hire a coach that's already coaching another team. Chances are Lakers just hire one of the assistants to step in like Eddie Jordan.

Lol Eddie Jordan is the father of the princeton offense

lakers_forever
11-09-2012, 03:21 PM
Ireland on ESPN radio says they're looking to get the band back together. Frank Hamblen, Jim Cleamons, and Kurt Rambis... with you know who as the head coach.

:banana: :banana:

hawkfan
11-09-2012, 03:21 PM
What a stupid thread.

I got negged for this?
Lame.
How is this a stupid thread? If you don't like, fine.
But Fisher would be a legitimate candidate for head coach.

hawkfan
11-09-2012, 03:22 PM
Bill Simmons ‏@sportsguy33

2 Lakers moves that would scare me: (1) Hire Mike D'Antoni, (2) trade Pau to Atlanta for Josh Smith, Kyle Korver + Petro's expiring.

The Hawks won't do that move now.
We'll wait until the off-season, if we make any moves.
The Hawks might go into total rebuild if Josh leaves, gut the entire roster and then try to get high draft picks. That's not out of the question.

shaq2000
11-09-2012, 03:23 PM
Whoa.. mods just mashed like 5 different threads into one.

DixieNourmous
11-09-2012, 03:25 PM
Where will the Lakers go from here...

Pjax would be best choice if available

Jerry Sloan - Maybe too hard nose to fit Kobe`s personality but a master of the pick and roll. Nash/Howard = Stockton/Malone?

SVG - Not so sure Howard will be happy with this.

D`Antoni - Fast paced game historically, may not fit older lakers

Byron Scott - Has the respect factor and may be a good choice

lakers_forever
11-09-2012, 03:27 PM
Where will the Lakers go from here...

Pjax would be best choice if available

Jerry Sloan - Maybe too hard nose to fit Kobe`s personality but a master of the pick and roll. Nash/Howard = Stockton/Malone?

SVG - Not so sure Howard will be happy with this.

D`Antoni - Fast paced game historically, may not fit older lakers

Byron Scott - Has the respect factor and may be a good choice

My order of preference as just a fan:

1. Phil

2. Sloan

3. D'antoni

No to all others. A guy like Shaw (or any young coach) does not have big enough of a name to be coach of a team full of stars like this one.

R.I.P.
11-09-2012, 03:29 PM
92% almost there...........................what no 78% try harder.....uh oh 89, 90, 91% excitement
http://i.imgur.com/gdP1C.jpg
WTF, Detroit down to 62%....miss more free throws 87%, 88%, 89%....100% Mission complete COACH FIRED

Indian guy
11-09-2012, 03:29 PM
Phil's the DUH choice, but as someone who doesn't have LA's best interests at heart, I'm praying that doesn't happen. The next best available coach is SVG, but Howard's presence makes him obsolete. After him, it's probably Jerry Sloan, who's never really had the level of star power necessary to win it all....but this LAKER team does. Getting him wouldn't be such a bad idea, although I do wonder how him and Kobe would get along.

lakers_forever
11-09-2012, 03:33 PM
FROM LG "Phil canceled business conf in Chicago for next week"

http://www.fa-mag.com/fa-news/12863-alan-alda-replacing-phil-jackson-at-schwab-impact-.html

stickfigure87
11-09-2012, 03:35 PM
please, no d'antoni. the thought of kobe, pau, and mwp constantly running sounds like a horrible idea. plus no one on this team can shoot.

phil if he's willing or sloan.

Joshumitsu
11-09-2012, 03:39 PM
Would Phil really return? If not, realistically, the list would look something like this:

1. D'Antoni
2. McMillan
3. Sloan

Having worked with D'Antoni and McMillan, Dwight and Kobe would have nothing but good things to say. At this point, it's not so much about x's an o'x as it is about leadership. If you look at why Kobe didn't respect Mike Brown, it wasn't so much about the coaching system as it was that the man had zero composure. Mike and Nate coaches have composure. They can command superstars.

Something in my head wants these two coaches to team up for the next two years.

KyrieTheFuture
11-09-2012, 03:43 PM
Sloan and PJ don't want this mess of a team

r15mohd
11-09-2012, 03:44 PM
Would Phil really return? If not, realistically, the list would look something like this:

1. D'Antoni
2. McMillan
3. Sloan

Having worked with D'Antoni and McMillan, Dwight and Kobe would have nothing but good things to say. At this point, it's not so much about x's an o'x as it is about leadership. If you look at why Kobe didn't respect Mike Brown, it wasn't so much about the coaching system as it was that the man had zero composure. Mike and Nate coaches have composure. They can command superstars.Something in my head wants these two coaches to team up for the next two years.

:biggums:

place "Melo" repsonse here _________________________.

comerb
11-09-2012, 03:47 PM
FROM LG "Phil canceled business conf in Chicago for next week"

http://www.fa-mag.com/fa-news/12863-alan-alda-replacing-phil-jackson-at-schwab-impact-.html

Nice catch.

Phil is the only person that makes sense to me, and I think they already have him lined up. It makes no sense to fire Brown right now w/out a replacement lined up. Phil is the only guy that I think could come in and make an immediate culture change. Plus I think it would appeal to Jackson's ego to come in and play the white knight hero to save the season.

D'Antoni doesn't work with this lineup. He's a run & gun coach and this is a terrible lineup for that. Plus their biggest problem is defense, not offense.

Sloan just doesn't seem like he'd want to deal with the LA circus.

Shaw doesn't have enough respect to lead this type of team.

Stan Van Gundy doesn't work, way too awkward a situation plus they have no shooters.

The only other person I can think of is Nate Mcmillian, but he's not any different than Mike Brown.

InfiniteBaskets
11-09-2012, 03:55 PM
If the Lakers go with Phil, they need to make sure he's willing to put in the effort and not coach on autopilot. The last time he coached the Lakers they got swept by the Mavs and it seemed like he couldn't care less about the series.

skaterbasist
11-09-2012, 04:14 PM
Uh, Kobe has the utmost respect for Brian Shaw. I think that's enough and would trickle down to the rest of the players.

DuMa
11-09-2012, 04:20 PM
Chris Broussard @Chris_Broussard 1 minute ago

Source says Mike D'Antoni would be interested in Lakers job, that he'd listen.

Skep
11-09-2012, 04:23 PM
No way in hell Jerry coaches the Lakers. Their best options in my opinion would be Nate Mcmillan or Brian Shaw

G-Funk
11-09-2012, 05:05 PM
Mitch says they already have a list and that it will be a coach who is currenty unemployed, has experienced and whos sytem wont be diffcult to learn. He also said that they would be stupid not to consider Phil.

SIRI1
11-09-2012, 05:17 PM
He obviously isnt a candidate, but Stan Van Gundy is on with Dan LeBatard in Miami and was just asked if he'd be interested in the job. His answer was "No. GOD no!" Then went off on the Lakers front office.

He would've been so awesome on ESPN.

InspiredLebowski
11-09-2012, 05:19 PM
Shaw's a little busy. Lakers would have to get permission.

That and it doesn't seem Shaw's all that interested after the way they treated him like shit.

SourPatchKids
11-09-2012, 05:25 PM
My Grandma

:no: :no: :no: :no: :no: :no: :no:

:kobe:

amfirst
11-09-2012, 05:35 PM
I think sloan is a better fit with Nash and maybe Kobe.

bagelred
11-09-2012, 05:46 PM
Chris Broussard @Chris_Broussard 1 minute ago

Source says Mike D'Antoni would be interested in Lakers job, that he'd listen.
:rolleyes: Mulitple sources. Shit I could have made up that tweet.

crisoner
11-09-2012, 06:12 PM
To the people saying Phil....

How do you guys think Nash would do with the Triangle????
That would not best suite his skills you know.

ZeN
11-09-2012, 06:23 PM
To the people saying Phil....

How do you guys think Nash would do with the Triangle????
That would not best suite his skills you know.
Phil is smart enough to adjust his offense to suit a PG of Nash's caliber. Its not like hes ever had that good of a lead guard to work with. Also, there is a fastbreaking side to the triangle that they havent utilized a lot.. Tex Winter use to mention it a lot. The notion of making the triangle push type offense more was flirted with back when the Lakers were trying to implement Jordan Farmars' more fast pace style. Its no surprise that they never went through with it, since his caliber of play is not as elite as Nash.

Heavincent
11-09-2012, 06:40 PM
D'Antoni is a terrible idea imo. They should either hire PJ, Sloan, or Brian Shaw.

Nick Young
11-09-2012, 06:46 PM
1. Brian Shaw
2. Jerry Sloan
3. Jeff Van Gundy-he lost dat street hunger doe
4. Coachbe the player coach.

ihoopallday
11-09-2012, 06:48 PM
D'Antoni is a terrible idea imo. They should either hire PJ, Sloan, or Brian Shaw.

Honestly, I think that's the only coach that can maximize this Lakers roster.

RRR3
11-09-2012, 06:49 PM
Honestly, I think that's the only coach that can maximize this Lakers roster.
You don't think Phil could? Please.

Nick Young
11-09-2012, 06:50 PM
Shaw's a little busy. Lakers would have to get permission.

That and it doesn't seem Shaw's all that interested after the way they treated him like shit.
I agree that was disgusting, Shaw was ready and lined up and the #1 best candidate to be the lakers new head coach in the post Phil Jackson era and they hire potatotard brown instead. The ultimate disrespect, here's hoping Shaw gets to be a head coach soon, of the Lakers or any other team in the league.

Heavincent
11-09-2012, 06:53 PM
I can't believe they didn't hire Shaw after PJ retired. He's the guy Kobe wanted to be head coach.

ihoopallday
11-09-2012, 06:54 PM
You don't think Phil could? Please.

I just dont see Phil coming back. Sloan wants that championship on his resume.

swi7ch
11-09-2012, 06:54 PM
Phil Jackson go t swept in his final series with LA. He's done coaching. Lakers need a new blood.

RRR3
11-09-2012, 06:55 PM
I just dont see Phil coming back. Sloan wants that championship on his resume.
But will Be respect him???

clayton
11-09-2012, 06:57 PM
Team sucks, blame the coach. :oldlol: It ain't gonna make any difference.

ihoopallday
11-09-2012, 07:02 PM

I don't see why he wouldn't.

longtime lurker
11-09-2012, 07:02 PM
Really all they need is a coach that will emphasize defense and have the players playing hard every night. Nash can take care of the offense. They don't even need a big name coach, just someone who knows his shit. It's crazy that Thibs has lead the Bulls to back to back 60 win seasons but the best Mike Brown can do with this star studded lineup is 1-4

Droid101
11-09-2012, 07:08 PM
:rolleyes: Mulitple sources. Shit I could have made up that tweet.
http://www.terezowens.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/07/620346389.jpg

RRR3
11-09-2012, 07:44 PM
http://www.terezowens.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/07/620346389.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/IK0pB.png

daily
11-09-2012, 07:47 PM
PJ then D'Antoni. Problem with bringing Jackson back is it's almost certainly a two year gig at best. Sooner or later Lakers need to wash their hands of Jackson and move on.

Nick Young
11-09-2012, 07:55 PM
Really all they need is a coach that will emphasize defense and have the players playing hard every night. Nash can take care of the offense. They don't even need a big name coach, just someone who knows his shit. It's crazy that Thibs has lead the Bulls to back to back 60 win seasons but the best Mike Brown can do with this star studded lineup is 1-4
O my lawd Jerry Sloan is the perfect candidate judging by your conditions. Mitch Kupchak is the greatest manager in NBA history, no doubt he has Sloan on top of his own list, he will promise loads of cash and an opportunity at multiple rings.

SpecialQue
11-09-2012, 08:56 PM

http://rlv.zcache.com/3d_bee_basketball_postcard-p239651181860554303envli_400.jpg

kobesabi
11-09-2012, 09:14 PM
Did run and gun style ever won championship?

lilgodfather1
11-09-2012, 10:10 PM
Did run and gun style ever won championship?
If you count every title team before the 90's as Run n Gun then yes. If you count the Showtime Lakers as Run n Gun then yes. If not then no.

O_City_Thunder
11-09-2012, 10:21 PM
I hope Phil Jackson doesn't come back to coach the Lakers. And it's only because I hate that over sized chair he sits in every game.

Rekindled
11-09-2012, 10:31 PM
710 espn is reporting that its between Phil and MDA

DixieNourmous
11-09-2012, 10:42 PM
710 espn is reporting that its between Phil and MDA

I think Phil will end up doing it. He dates the Buss daughter and is family to the organization long time.

NoGunzJustSkillz
11-09-2012, 10:52 PM
I think Phil will end up doing it. He dates the Buss daughter and is family to the organization long time.
Phil Jackson tells Mike D'Antoni to go sit the fck down (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t-p_PudYj38)

jl1718
11-09-2012, 10:55 PM
Randy Pfund spotted trying to break in to the Great Western Forum.

LA Lakers
11-10-2012, 04:31 AM
Anyone who says D Antoni knows we aint winning shit and must really be a Laker hater. At first I thought Jerry Sloan would be a good fit but really, only one coach has the gravitas to coach this team. And when he was our coach during those championship years, we used to blow some middle of the road team out by 30 points. It was a normal thing. The crowd was chanting his name tonight...

Y2Gezee
11-10-2012, 06:23 AM
IMO. Best person for this roster is Jerry Sloan. This personnel fits his system to the tee, he'd have their respect, and he's hungry for a ring.

But Phil is the obvious choice if he's ready to come back.

I'll lMFAO if they hire Mike Dantoni.

RRR3
11-10-2012, 07:11 AM
http://rlv.zcache.com/3d_bee_basketball_postcard-p239651181860554303envli_400.jpg
LMAO I call Kobe "Be"

Optimus Prime
11-10-2012, 07:36 AM
Phil Jackson

Honorable Mention:

Jerry Sloan
Mike D'Antoni
A Van Gundy (not gonna happen though...)

:kobe:

mentallooser
11-10-2012, 09:13 AM
Jerry Sloan

Jeff Van Gundy

franchise#3
11-10-2012, 09:35 AM
They should go with Phil. Mike is no good in the playoffs man. He just can't win, same thing with Donnie Nelson. They cannot win the da playoffs.

D-Rose
11-10-2012, 10:46 AM
I'm kind of warming up to the idea of Mike D...good ties with Kobe and Nash, exciting offense, wouldn't run a true run and gun but would be good for bench energy. Defense will be centered around Dwight. Will see soon!

LakersForlife
11-10-2012, 11:10 AM
what about larry brown

Rekindled
11-10-2012, 11:24 AM
They should go with Phil. Mike is no good in the playoffs man. He just can't win, same thing with Donnie Nelson. They cannot win the da playoffs.

dantoni was 1 horry hipcheck away from going to the finals in 07 , also they would have beaten dallas in WCF 06 if amare wasnt out for the year.

TheFan
11-10-2012, 11:25 AM
Kobe is like a highschool bitchy hot girl... He stomps on nice guys... bring d'Anthony and he will be gone before all star break... there is only one man that can coach that team... and it's Prime Phil Jackson... not "i got 11 rings and im done coaching" Jackson.

Doctor Rivers
11-10-2012, 12:50 PM
Kobe is like a highschool bitchy hot girl... He stomps on nice guys... bring d'Anthony and he will be gone before all star break... there is only one man that can coach that team... and it's Prime Phil Jackson... not "i got 11 rings and im done coaching" Jackson.

You're a clown

EllEffEll
11-10-2012, 02:30 PM
If you count every title team before the 90's as Run n Gun then yes. If you count the Showtime Lakers as Run n Gun then yes. If not then no.

The 80's Lakers ran when they had the opportunity, but what made them lethal in the playoffs is that they ran a very deliberate half court offense, especially in crunch time late in the game. They were nowhere near a one dimensional team like a D'Antoni type team generally is.

The Showtime Lakers also got the fast break going by playing tough defense. I know Magic gets a lot of flak here for his defense, but consider that Kobe just passed Magic in career steals at the beginning of this year. When Magic got his hands on the ball in that situation, the break was on if possible, but it wasn't the only way they flourished.

Eat Like A Bosh
11-10-2012, 02:57 PM
I want to see them hire Stan Van Gundy, just to see the look on Dwight's face!

http://sports.cbsimg.net/images/visual/whatshot/van-gundy-howard.jpg

EllEffEll
11-11-2012, 08:14 AM
If it's true that PJ wants some measure of control over personnel and coaches, I don't see Jim Buss and Mitch giving that up, especially 'Little Jimmy'.

If he pulls that off with the Lakers, he is truly a PIMP among pimps :pimp:

LakersForlife
11-11-2012, 11:41 PM
Dan Nelson pls.

EllEffEll
11-12-2012, 12:16 AM
Dan Nelson pls.

I assume you meant Don Nelson?

Fire Mike Brown only to import Nellie-Ball?

That wouldn't be my call :confusedshrug:

Collie
11-12-2012, 02:22 AM
Bernie Bicketstaff

Y2Gezee
11-12-2012, 03:58 AM
Lenny Wilkins

Ass Dan
02-08-2013, 03:38 AM
Bumped as proof that Ass Dan can predict the future.

2013 year of the mamba