PDA

View Full Version : 2012/13 Observation Deck

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

ukfan22
11-11-2012, 04:28 AM
seems like it's time this got started

Notable results so far include UConn over #14 Michigan St in Germany, #3 Kentucky hanging on to beat Maryland in Brooklyn, and #24 Florida St getting upset at home in their opener by South Alabama

Two different major non-conference games that were set to be played on the decks of aircraft carriers were canceled and will not be rescheduled, Marquette vs Ohio St and Florida vs Georgetown

#1 Indiana had no problem with Bryant, #2 Louisville begins tomorrow vs Manhattan

Shabazz Muhammad has been declared ineligible (for now) for UCLA

Should be an interesting season, it seems wide open as to who will be left standing on April 8th

ukfan22
11-11-2012, 04:35 AM
Louisville plays today actually, Sunday

there is a matchup of ranked teams today as well, as #20 San Diego St takes on #9 Syracuse in San Diego, on the flight deck of the USS Midway. This game was originally scheduled for Friday, but was postponed.

InspiredLebowski
11-11-2012, 05:42 AM
IU got Noah Vonleh, #7 recruit in 2013

qrich
11-11-2012, 02:27 PM
CSUN with a nice win over Pepperdine. :rockon:

Donovan Johnson drops 19 on 7-10 shooting, Hicks with 10/7 on 3-4 (5 giveaways though), Landon Drew with 7/4 off the bench with only 1 turnover. Eastern Washington is next and should be a good W.

Burgz V2
11-11-2012, 11:57 PM
IU got Noah Vonleh, #7 recruit in 2013

great day for IU fans, bad news for everyone else in the Big 10

SourPatchKids
11-12-2012, 12:47 AM
Vonleh commited?! :eek: And to IU?

kNicKz
11-12-2012, 07:40 PM
UCONN on the radar #23 baby! The climb continues, so thrilled!

qrich
11-13-2012, 02:42 AM
CSUN kills Eastern Washington to improve to 2-0 before 4 games in 4 nights against San Diego, Sienna, Tulsa and Northern Kentucky. 6-0 start plausible before games @ BYU & UCLA. 96-79 with 60 of the 96 in the second half. Josh Greene had 13 dimes and only 3 giveaways, Hicks and Maxwell combine for 40/18 on 17-32 shooting while Brandon Perry had 19/12.

Loving this, we are the youngest team in NC2A and will make the Big Dance next year and pull an upset sometime in the next 3 years :D

SourPatchKids
11-13-2012, 03:50 AM
CSUN kills Eastern Washington to improve to 2-0 before 4 games in 4 nights against San Diego, Sienna, Tulsa and Northern Kentucky. 6-0 start plausible before games @ BYU & UCLA. 96-79 with 60 of the 96 in the second half. Josh Greene had 13 dimes and only 3 giveaways, Hicks and Maxwell combine for 40/18 on 17-32 shooting while Brandon Perry had 19/12.

Loving this, we are the youngest team in NC2A and will make the Big Dance next year and pull an upset sometime in the next 3 years :D
Sienna and Northern may shock you guys.

InspiredLebowski
11-13-2012, 04:35 AM
Damn, Zaga beat the hell out West Virginia. I know Zaga's pretty good and all but I expected a way better showing from WV.

Grinder
11-13-2012, 11:39 AM
Damn, Zaga beat the hell out West Virginia. I know Zaga's pretty good and all but I expected a way better showing from WV.

They have 3 transfers and only 2 returning upperclassmen in the rotation and they're on the road against a nationally ranked team loaded with talent. I'm not surprised.

Prez Karnowski is going to be a monster once he sorts out his conditioning. He already has significant pro experience and an advanced skill set for a 7'1 300 lb guy. Love watching Kevin Pangos as well.

Burgz V2
11-13-2012, 02:21 PM

i dont think WV knows how good they can be. I know Gonzaga can spread the floor with the best in the country, but there's no secret to how to beat them, you just have to bust your ass and contest every shot

IGotACoolStory
11-13-2012, 03:06 PM
Once he reclassified, everyone predicted IU. Although no one saw him doing so on his only visit. I mean, what the ****? That deal had to have been done a while ago.

He reminds me a lot of Marvin Williams with a much better motor. That's a good thing.

Anyone read Telep's new article?

Prediction: "Randle won't join the Harrison twins in college. I know what everyone's saying, that they all wouldn't mind playing together. When the Miami Heat put their Big Three in motion, it helped that LeBron, Dwyane Wade and Chris Bosh were good friends. But I think it would be an upset if the three best players in Texas wind up at Kentucky."

If that happens, well you might as well sign Wiggins up for UK. Still will probably happen anyway. Although I don't know how Wiggins and Young works out in the same lineup unless Young comes off the bench.

Burgz V2
11-13-2012, 05:12 PM
Once he reclassified, everyone predicted IU. Although no one saw him doing so on his only visit. I mean, what the ****? That deal had to have been done a while ago.

He reminds me a lot of Marvin Williams with a much better motor. That's a good thing.

Anyone read Telep's new article?

Prediction: "Randle won't join the Harrison twins in college. I know what everyone's saying, that they all wouldn't mind playing together. When the Miami Heat put their Big Three in motion, it helped that LeBron, Dwyane Wade and Chris Bosh were good friends. But I think it would be an upset if the three best players in Texas wind up at Kentucky."

If that happens, well you might as well sign Wiggins up for UK. Still will probably happen anyway. Although I don't know how Wiggins and Young works out in the same lineup unless Young comes off the bench.

if Randle goes to UK i'd put my money on FSU, even though to everyone that seems mad, he's close with Rathan-Mayes, and their parents all went to FSU together.

I don't see Randle as being a follower. If Randle goes elsewhere i think Wiggins to UK is a lock. I can't really see Randle and Wiggins coexisting with the harrison twins and Young even if they are using the dribble drive offense. It's one or the other to me or these kids are making a mistake

west_tip
11-13-2012, 05:59 PM
Planning on watching Pitt v Lehigh later today to check out that Kiwi freshman, Steven Adams.

InspiredLebowski
11-13-2012, 07:17 PM
I'm liking Jalen Rose being on GameDay

IGotACoolStory
11-13-2012, 08:02 PM
I missed it...

I don't like Jalen as an NBA analyst because he sounds like he shouldn't be speaking to a national audience. But he is decently knowledgeable about the sport and he hates Duke so I'll have to catch him next time.

KG215
11-13-2012, 10:17 PM
The KU/Michigan State game was a good one. Had a tournament feel to it, except with the ugliness and rust of an early season game. Still, it was competitive throughout and came down to the final possession.

Now for Kentucky and Duke. Can't remember the last time I've watched a game where I hated both teams this much. With that said, and this will be the last time I say this unless these two teams play again in the tournament...go Kentucky.

KG215
11-13-2012, 10:58 PM
Alex Poythress is s friggin' stud.

leopoldstotch
11-13-2012, 11:03 PM
This is going to be my first time watching Nerlens Noel in live action.

KG215
11-13-2012, 11:34 PM
Goodwin and Noel have had their moments, but Poythress has impressed me the most out of the Kentucky freshmen.

Good showing by Kentucky in my opinion. You've got an experienced senior laden Duke team against a young and inexperienced Kentucky team. This is one o those games where I'd pick Duke to win tonight but Kentucky to win in March.

IGotACoolStory
11-13-2012, 11:37 PM
lol that Cal quote. Not his biggest fan, but that was priceless.

IGotACoolStory
11-14-2012, 12:48 AM
Noel looks like Ibaka. An athletic frame rather than built and strong, faces up more than posts, more of a PF than C... Good instincts, but he's bit on most of the ball fakes in this game.

I don't think he's all that good at all. Didn't think so in high school either.

Grinder
11-14-2012, 12:56 AM
I thought Poythress was the most impressive Kentucky freshman in the high school all star circuit and I stand by that. Kid's going to be a monster once he improves his ball skills and asserts himself more on offense. He got 20 points today almost entirely on his athleticism and motor.

Mason Plumlee finally looks like the guy I've been hearing about the last 3 years; when he was on the court, he was completely outmuscling and dominating Noel in the paint. Seth Curry looked like his brother on the court today.

qrich
11-14-2012, 02:50 AM
Sienna and Northern may shock you guys.

Meh, not really worried about either. NKU is making their debut season while Sienna is way too young.

:D

UCLA sucks :banghead:

KG215
11-14-2012, 02:58 AM
I thought Poythress was the most impressive Kentucky freshman in the high school all star circuit and I stand by that. Kid's going to be a monster once he improves his ball skills and asserts himself more on offense. He got 20 points today almost entirely on his athleticism and motor.
This. Felt like the Kentucky offense ran through Goodwin and Noel all night (mainly because it did) and Poythress still had 20 points. Haven't seen enough of him, yet, to make an NBA comparison, but he is man-child. Didn't really see enouh tonight, either, to give me an idea of how solid his handle is on dribble penetration, but with his size, strength, and freakish athleticism he is going to be a force. I thought Poythress was the most talented player on the floor. Maybe not the best (although that's very debatable) but definitely most talented.

Mason Plumlee finally looks like the guy I've been hearing about the last 3 years; when he was on the court, he was completely outmuscling and dominating Noel in the paint. Seth Curry looked like his brother on the court today.
Ultimately this is why I felt like Duke pulled away and won in the end. They've got the senior laden roster and were much more cohesive on offense. Noel (and this is something I was a little worried about when I saw his listed weight) is going to get muscled around all year in the post by a lot of opposing bigs. He's got to put on some weight.

I think Kentucky might be the better team in March, but right now it's no surprise Kentucky won semi-comfortably. Not to mention, without Ryan Harrow, Archie Goodwin had to handle PG duties and he's not a PG. He can handle those responsibilities when needed, but he's better of the ball in my opinion.

KG215
11-14-2012, 02:59 AM
And UCLA holds on to win by one over UC-Irvine...in OT?

InspiredLebowski
11-14-2012, 03:07 AM
Harris and Dawson being major factors for MSU's win over KU just...hurts. Dawson was supposed to be a done deal for Purdue until "message board fodder" we'll put it happened. And both Harris's parents went to Purdue, his mom kicked ass for the ladies' team.

beer
11-14-2012, 03:13 AM
And UCLA holds on to win by one over UC-Irvine...in OT?

and we got lucky... uci missed two freethrows with 2.6 seconds left... that's how we went into overtime.

Burgz V2
11-14-2012, 05:27 AM
Harris and Dawson being major factors for MSU's win over KU just...hurts. Dawson was supposed to be a done deal for Purdue until "message board fodder" we'll put it happened. And both Harris's parents went to Purdue, his mom kicked ass for the ladies' team.

Harris also was apparently a lock to stay in-state but chose to go to MSU as well.

was really impressed with Payne's conditioning coming into the season, and Appling played like a true lead guard today. If Dawson can get into decent shape we're going to be deep, we're going to defend, and we're going to cause headaches with our size and length at all positions.

kNicKz
11-14-2012, 10:47 AM
Uconn > MSU > Kansas

:bowdown:

KG215
11-14-2012, 01:31 PM
Uconn > MSU > Kansas

:bowdown:
Yeah...because that's how that works.

Dolphin
11-14-2012, 01:34 PM
UConn has good players and all, but I doubt anyone will think end of the year UConn > end of the year MSU and Kansas.

Heck, I bet if you polled most experts, after a couple weeks of action, they'd pick MSU in a re-match. Just saying...lol

Sad I only was able to see the highlights of last night's games. Had to step out of the house and my only viewing option was online.

MSU's starting lineup is gonna be pretty tough. Not just to beat, but tough in general. There will never be an excuse for them to be manhandled this season, especially if Dawson is healthy.

I am worried about the lack of a scoring threat off the bench though. Trice can do a little bit...but hopefully someone else grows into that role as well (when starters are struggling, that player who can put in 12-15 to save a game).

If their outside shooting remains consistent this year though...I'm gonna be smiling. Not often you get a team that tough in the paint, with guards who can drive well, but also punish teams from outside. Not much a team can do on offense if that's the case.

Oh, and as usual for an Izzo team, turnovers are a problem....

kNicKz
11-14-2012, 05:21 PM
Heck, I bet if you polled most experts, after a couple weeks of action, they'd pick MSU in a re-match. Just saying...lol

So? every expert in basketball picked them over us the first time, didn't seem to effect the outcome :cheers:

kNicKz
11-14-2012, 05:23 PM
Yeah...because that's how that works.
basically

#bleedblue

YouAintGrizz
11-14-2012, 07:48 PM
basically

#bleedblue

The transitive property doesn't work in sports.

Just because team A is better than team B, and team B is better than team C, that doesn't mean team A is better than team C.

kNicKz
11-14-2012, 09:29 PM
Some people really don't pick up when you're joking on here

InspiredLebowski
11-16-2012, 01:36 AM
2k Sports Classic is fixed

Grinder
11-16-2012, 02:07 AM
Jordan Adams, a freshman shooting guard for UCLA, is absolutely lighting it up through the first 3 games. He's averaging 24 ppg in ~24 mpg. He's doing it on absurd percentages as well.

beer
11-16-2012, 07:58 PM
LA time's baxter holmes has tweeted shabazz's appeal was successful and he has been cleared to play.

beer
11-16-2012, 07:58 PM
http://www.ncaa.org/wps/wcm/connect/public/ncaa/resources/latest+news/2012/november/ucla+student-athlete+muhammad+reinstated+with+conditions

qrich
11-16-2012, 09:17 PM
CSUN is 3-0 :bowdown:

kNicKz
11-16-2012, 11:03 PM
Beat Wake Forest! Great game

http://blogs.courant.com/uconn_mens_basketball/WolfPic.jpg

props to the 7 footer!!!

qrich
11-17-2012, 03:39 AM
CSUN is now 4-0 :bowdown:

Tulsa & Northern Kentucky left before BYU, 6-0 is easily plausible :bowdown:

KG215
11-17-2012, 05:20 AM
I guess it's not really a surprise he's playing so well given some of the games he had down the stretch last season, but James Michael McAdoo has been a stud so far. I know the competition for UNC hasn't been the greatest, but he's still been phenomenal on a team with a lot of new pieces. He's averaging 21.0 PPG, 11.3 PPG, and is shooting .481 from the field. I'd like to see the FG% up closer to or over 50%, but he's having to adjust to a lot of double teams anytime he catches the ball in the post.

So glad he came back (obviously) because UNC would really struggle to make the NCAA tournament without him. With that said, the four freshmen (Marcus Paige, J.P. Tokoto, Brice Johnson, and Joel James) have shown flashes of what they will probably eventually become; Paige especially. Anyone that's followed UNC closely under Roy Williams knows the learning curve for PG's in his system is a sharp one. While Paige has looked lost and unsure of himself at times, he's actually been pretty good so far. Brice Johnson needs to add weight and get stronger (he couldn't play much tonight because he was being backed down way too easily in the post) but he definitely has good instincts and a good knack around the basket. Joel James, for a player of his size, is a much better athlete than I though. He's still raw as an offensive player but has been better than I expected in that regard. Tokoto doesn't get a ton of time due to UNC's depth on the wing, but he's also shown very brief flashes of being a very solid well-rounded player.

For the second game in a row, after a really ugly first half, UNC came out looking like a completely different team in the second half to put their opponent away. There will definitely be a lot of ups and downs this year, but there's plenty of potential and talent on the team to be pretty dangerous come March. While the rotation is deep (10 players seeing consistent action) it still consists of four freshmen and two sophomores, so I expect some growing pains.

At first thought, after all four of Barnes, Henson, Zeller and Marshall announced they would enter the draft, I thought this season had potential to be another 2009-2010. That season UNC had four new freshmen who saw heavy minutes early on, a returning post player with a ton of potential who was buried behind a deep bench the year before, and uncertainty at the PG position. While it's a little too early to say the season won't be that bad (UNC has been hit hard by the injury bug the last few years), this team just has a different feel to it. Not saying they're a legit Final Four team, but if McAdoo continues to play like this the rest of the season, the freshmen continue to improve, and the 3P shooting comes along, then I could see them being a sleeper Final Four team in the tournament; and by "sleeper" I mean sleeper by UNC standards in that they get in with a 4-6 seed, but things are coming together at the right time, and they get some favorable match-ups in their region.

HB40TheNextStar
11-17-2012, 03:29 PM
McAdoo is a stud.

I had my doubts since the guy averaged like 6 points and 4 rebounds most of last year, but he is really talented. And you can tell how raw he is.. Which I equate to upside since he's still putting out good, winning, numbers in spite of his unpolished game.

I thought he was a combo forward. His skill set insisted 3 while his body and athleticism says athletic 4. He's definitely a 4 now and will be in the NBA.

First off, he's getting double and triple (I even see 4 LBSU players collapse on him at one point) teamed all night. In the first half he was double teamed just on the ball denial... He struggled to say the least. He couldn't get position at all and when he finally got the ball, their team fell on him so quickly. Smart defensive plan considering the inconsistencies of the perimeter shooting on this team.

But he still found ways to score. He got himself going with hitting the offensive glass. Then he started receiving the ball near the foul line and taking guys off the dribble. Then his teammates started making shots so LBSU couldn't collapse on him anymore. It allowed him to do whatever he wanted, and he did. He faces up and shoots, he backs you down and hits at turnaround jumper, he'll spin off you, take an incredibly quick first, and then dunk the ball on the other side of the rim.

And the interesting thing about his game is that he's a very talented passer. He will occasionally force a bad turnaround jumper (I think because he knows he has to be the man), but for the most part he passes very well out of double teams. He had one play where he picked up his dribble near the baseline and had no where to go. Last year he would have just thrown it up at the rim and airballed. Last night he held the ball, surveyed the floor while his defender was bodying him up, and threw a great pass across the line to his teammate under the basket for a layup.

Intelligent player. I now see some of the similarities to Tim Duncan he got from Telep and the DraftExpress guy when he was in high school. The on court demeanor, the patience, the calming influence on the floor...

Although he's no where near as talented as Duncan (obviously) and he really does lack some post moves right now. All he has is that turnaround jumper and relying heavily on his quickness to get around the defender. Like I said, he's raw. However, you can't deny his potential and the fact that he produces at a high level, even when teams game plan around him. That's a strong sign for the future.

SourPatchKids
11-17-2012, 03:37 PM
I'm convinced my Ducks will make the big dance.

Lakers Legend#32
11-17-2012, 05:42 PM
I already have my Ducks pegged into the Big Dance.

IGotACoolStory
11-17-2012, 06:44 PM
Wake Forest is currently losing to Iona.

I mean, both teams suck so whatever. Except they're are losing 48-19... With 4 minutes still left in the first half :roll:

At one point the score was 41-5. LOL

InspiredLebowski
11-17-2012, 07:40 PM
Rutgers and Maryland to the Big Ten? (http://espn.go.com/college-football/story/_/id/8644587/maryland-terrapins-rutgers-scarlet-knights-talks-join-big-ten-conference-sources-say)

Maryland football has to lose the dumbass uniforms if it happens.

KG215
11-17-2012, 08:02 PM
At one point the score was 41-5. LOL
I know conference affiliation an the "name of the front of the jersey" has come to mean very little in college basketball, but how does an ACC school fall behind 41-5 to a MAAC school?

InspiredLebowski
11-17-2012, 08:07 PM
I know conference affiliation an the "name of the front of the jersey" has come to mean very little in college basketball, but how does an ACC school fall behind 41-5 to a MAAC school?Especially after the same school only lost to UConn by 6.

SourPatchKids
11-18-2012, 02:17 AM
CSUN is now 4-0 :bowdown:

Tulsa & Northern Kentucky left before BYU, 6-0 is easily plausible :bowdown:
Looks like they are going 6-0 :applause:

SourPatchKids
11-18-2012, 07:50 PM
OK State fun to watch. On their way to upsetting NC State right now in the Puerto Rico Tip-off championship game.

IGotACoolStory
11-18-2012, 09:22 PM
I said this when he beat the shit out of Bazz in their matchup..

Smart reminds me so much of a young D-wade. Playing style, playing mentality, size, body type... It's crazy.

Fantastic and unique player.

SourPatchKids
11-19-2012, 12:02 AM
I said this when he beat the shit out of Bazz in their matchup..

Smart reminds me so much of a young D-wade. Playing style, playing mentality, size, body type... It's crazy.

Fantastic and unique player.
Bumped up his NBA draft stock like crazy today.

kNicKz
11-19-2012, 12:11 AM
Quinnipiac is having its way with Uconn right now, wtf did uconn do last night :facepalm

kNicKz
11-19-2012, 12:58 AM
double OT, this is why I love college basketball, sad though

InspiredLebowski
11-19-2012, 01:20 PM
Maryland's coming to the Big Ten in 2014. Oh, and Rutgers too.

This is gonna be weird.

kNicKz
11-19-2012, 01:34 PM
There's a lot of talk about Uconn going to the ACC , i think the Big East is going way downhill (Syracuse being the final blow) . What a great division it was though, I'm going to miss the rivalries

Burgz V2
11-19-2012, 02:11 PM
Maryland's coming to the Big Ten in 2014. Oh, and Rutgers too.

This is gonna be weird.

they can catch the business :lol

IGotACoolStory
11-19-2012, 02:26 PM
Conferences meaning nothing anymore.

The ACC is no longer what the ACC used to be. Same with the Pac-10, Big 12, and Big Ten. I was against VPI, BC, and Miami joining the conference and they have done very little since. That slowly started the deterioration of that conference.

It's all about money and, for some schools, power. Maryland is a cash strapped university and they are leaving, despite a huge grumble in their fanbase, because the Big Ten offers significantly more money. I don't believe Maryland offers much to the Big Ten other than DC tv markets. That's enough, though. I also believe part of the reason Delaney went after Maryland is because the ACC took Notre Dame. Or to a greater extent, the deal to which the ACC took with Notre Dame.

The ACC still has to worry about FSU and, potentially, Clemson leaving as well. Maryland is going say that the fee is "legally unenforceable" to try deal less than the 50 mil exit fee. Therefore it puts the ACC in situation where they either puss out and let Maryland out the door for less (and leaving the notion that the new exit fee holds no ground -- namely for FSU) or having to deal with a long and expensive law suit which will undeniably bring horrible PR.

For the sake of the conference, Swofford has to go with the law suit, no? If FSU leaves then you might as well start the obituary for the ACC because there is no conceivable way it survives. It will essentially become the Big East.

This is why we can't have nice things.

InspiredLebowski
11-19-2012, 02:36 PM
I'm just a huge fan of Delaney basically telling the ACC "50 million exit fee? You know who the **** you're talking to?"

I agree it's a plan to destabilize the ACC, that's at least a pretty big added benefit. ACC starts getting shaky then UNC's next. I don't know if they'd leave Duke, but even if not UNC + Duke as 15th and 16 members would be pretty damn fun.

Dolphin
11-19-2012, 02:46 PM
I'm just a huge fan of Delaney basically telling the ACC "50 million exit fee? You know who the **** you're talking to?"

I agree it's a plan to destabilize the ACC, that's at least a pretty big added benefit. ACC starts getting shaky then UNC's next. I don't know if they'd leave Duke, but even if not UNC + Duke as 15th and 16 members would be pretty damn fun.

And then Syracuse and Pitt would be all "Ummm...like wtf just happened here?" lol

IGotACoolStory
11-19-2012, 02:59 PM
If UNC leaves (and they're probably bring Duke with them) then the ACC will blow up. Probably join the scraps with the Big East to make one large and pathetic conference. FSU to the Big 12, maybe Clemson and State to the SEC, Virginia Tech somewhere, and let all the other programs die.

As a UNC fan, honestly, I would rather be in the SEC or (my preference) the Big Ten right now. The ACC is probably going to be a sinking ship soon. The problem is that much of the power of the conference is run through Tobacco Road and I feel that UNC isn't willing to give up that power unless they absolutely have to. So basically they will jump ship only if the water is neck deep.

Anyway, apparently the ACC is looking to add one of UConn or Louisville.

So a non-football school which helps push FSU out the door or going back on everything the conference is saying they stand for. Awesome.

InspiredLebowski
11-19-2012, 03:02 PM
Yeah, from everything I've heard/red UNC, Duke, and a sprinkling of UVa basically run the ACC. I couldn't see them leaving until the conference is dead.

And even if that happens, they're not running shit in the Big Ten. That's for UM and OSU. Thought isn't not as bad as some other conferences.

ukfan22
11-19-2012, 06:43 PM
Butler/Marquette in Maui, good game

ukfan22
11-19-2012, 06:53 PM
oh woooooooooooooooooooooooooow

InspiredLebowski
11-19-2012, 06:53 PM
Rotnei!

what a terrible shot lol. nothing's that bad a look for Clarke though I suppose.

Grinder
11-19-2012, 06:56 PM
Wow, what an ending to the Butler game. Incredible buzzer beater from Rotnei Clarke.

Burgz V2
11-19-2012, 08:42 PM
Wow, what an ending to the Butler game. Incredible buzzer beater from Rotnei Clarke.

that shot had no business going in. amazing, simply, the best play so far this season, what a game.

IGotACoolStory
11-19-2012, 08:48 PM
The best part of that shot is Brad Stevens having no reaction other than to walk to center court and shake the coaches hand.

Cold blooded mother****er. :pimp:

KG215
11-19-2012, 08:52 PM
I know Mississippi State is all kinds of terrible right now, and they're short-handed, but I didn't see a 49-17 halftime lead coming.

KG215
11-19-2012, 09:20 PM
UNC-Los Angeles down 10-8 early to Georgetown.

kNicKz
11-19-2012, 09:21 PM
just put on the UCLA game, where is shabazz?

edit: nevermind

IGotACoolStory
11-19-2012, 09:46 PM
Bazz is getting abused on both ends right now. Guarding Otto Porter is a joke.

KG215
11-20-2012, 01:00 AM
Yep, Texas lost to Chaminade...by 15ish. They're down 15 right now with 30 seconds left in the game.

And is Washington State not very good this year, Kansas this good, or a combination of both?

Kansas was up 50-21 at half and they're going to win by about 40.

kNicKz
11-20-2012, 01:13 AM
R.I.P. UConn AP Ranking

2012-2012

InspiredLebowski
11-20-2012, 01:38 AM
Chaminade - ~2800 students
Texas - ~38000 (they have almost as many academic personnel as Chaminade does students)

I know that doesn't really mean anything, but I still find it funny.

IlliniFan
11-20-2012, 01:57 AM
First game I've been able to watch for Illinois. Liking what I'm seeing.

KG215
11-20-2012, 02:07 AM
The f***? Does USC suck, too?

Third game tonight featuring two "name" programs that ended up being a 30-40 point blowout. First UNC and Mississippi State, then Kansas and Washington State, and now Illinois is killing USC.

Grinder
11-20-2012, 02:10 AM
I was really impressed watching Jordan Adams tonight. He's definitely a pure scorer with a complete arsenal of offensive moves. He didn't have a great night from the field but you can see he's got a knack for putting the ball in the bucket that few players his age have. Most guys with his playing style are undersized but he looks to be a solid 6'5" which is ideal for an NBA 2 guard.

Shabazz didn't have a great game but you can see he's oozing with talent and has advanced versatility on the offensive end. He had a few aggressive takes to the basket where he tried to cram it down on defenders. He nailed a long pull up jumper with a hand in his face, he hit a 3, threw down an easy dunk, and scored off a post up.

InspiredLebowski
11-20-2012, 02:13 AM
This is the only Illinois I've seen, but I won't lie, Groce has me scared.

Burgz V2
11-20-2012, 02:43 AM
This is the only Illinois I've seen, but I won't lie, Groce has me scared.

this.

Big Ten is gonna be really interesting this year.

InspiredLebowski
11-20-2012, 09:25 AM
this is from people that don't understand how and why it happened, but it's still pretty funny

https://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash3/553860_506427866047792_818933403_n.png

Dolphin
11-20-2012, 11:32 AM
First game I've been able to watch for Illinois. Liking what I'm seeing.

Don't worry, they will have time to collapse. lol

IGotACoolStory
11-20-2012, 03:10 PM
Webber was holding them back with boring Big Ten slow basketball. Groce is getting them to push the ball and it's opening the floor for everyone. Too bad Leonard didn't return.

IlliniFan
11-20-2012, 08:34 PM
I'm cautiously optimistic at this point. I like the make up of this team with two good senior guards and Abrams and Egwu really taking that freshman to sophomore leap. We are also getting good scoring off the bench with Henry and Bertrand. That bench scoring is something Illinois has really lacked in the past. I'm hoping Illinois and UNC win tonight. I would love to see how we match up with the Tar Heels.

And USC just beat Texas so that's definitely not a bad thing.

IGOTGAME
11-20-2012, 08:39 PM
UCLA is so small.

This coach and style may hurt Shabazz's draft stock.

ILLsmak
11-20-2012, 08:57 PM
I'm cautiously optimistic at this point. I like the make up of this team with two good senior guards and Abrams and Egwu really taking that freshman to sophomore leap. We are also getting good scoring off the bench with Henry and Bertrand. That bench scoring is something Illinois has really lacked in the past. I'm hoping Illinois and UNC win tonight. I would love to see how we match up with the Tar Heels.

And USC just beat Texas so that's definitely not a bad thing.

O yeah.

they gotta get Mike Shaw in there, too, though. I hate when talented players sit on the bench.

-Smak

StateProperty
11-20-2012, 09:35 PM
McAdoo getting outmuscled, out hustled, avoiding contact...he's showed 0 toughness so far.

Jailblazers7
11-20-2012, 09:40 PM
UNC looking like ass in this first half.

Excited for Pitt/Michigan tomorrow night. Went to the Pitt/Oakland game last saturday and I was not impressed. Our "star" freshman Steven Adams looks to be a big time project for the Pitt coaching staff. We roll out a young line-up so Ill be curious to see how they react to playing a big time school in primetime.

HB40TheNextStar
11-20-2012, 09:57 PM
There is zero leadership on this team. Call a god damn timeout Roy. (He says for the millionth time.)

Screw learning moments. You can only learn so much when your team is getting anally raped.

KG215
11-20-2012, 10:10 PM
Fool's gold. UNC fooled their fans by looking impressive by four bad teams. McAdoo fooled us by looking great against four bad teams. First physical decent team we've played, and the lack of experience and leadership is showing tonight, and it's embarrassing.

InspiredLebowski
11-20-2012, 10:24 PM
They didn't call Kellen Dunham the best shooter at any level of basketball in the state of Indiana for nothin

KG215
11-20-2012, 10:40 PM
Saying McAdoo has been bad this game would be a massive compliment.

And I'll finally say something I've been trying to hold-off on saying for a couple or three years now. Roy Williams, without elite recruits, is not a very good coach. I understand there's more to it than that, but he's got four freshmen in this rotation, and none of them are elite type players. All of them are 3-4 year players.

Guys like Bill Self and Coach K (and Brad Stevens) are MUCH better X's and O's coaches. Bill Self loses that many players to the NBA and enters a season where everyone doubts them; they win the Big 12 and make an Elite 8 or Final 4 run. Roy loses a bunch of players to the NBA and UNC is an NIT team.

KG215
11-20-2012, 10:56 PM
Chad Ford is in attendance tonight. I know he doesn't release mock drafts this early (does he?) but, if he did, McAdoo would go from being a top 3-5 pick to a 20-something pick.

KG215
11-20-2012, 11:06 PM
Why did it take falling behind by 30 for UNC's perimeter players to pull their heads out of their butts and attack the paint on offense instead of settling for contested jumpers?

SourPatchKids
11-20-2012, 11:23 PM
Two of my friends think Georgetown can pull off the upset. Tonight we'll find out just how good Indiana is.

InspiredLebowski
11-20-2012, 11:30 PM
I'm glad college hoops is back, but I sure as hell didn't miss Vitale

HB40TheNextStar
11-20-2012, 11:33 PM
Roy is infuriating.

Love the man. Wouldn't rather have any other coach in the country when you consider all the tasks a head coach must deal with (I mean, he shot down Kevin Durant for his principles, ffs). Coach Smith's teaching are fudamental to him and I greatly respect that, especially in the age of AAU basketball. I also realize UNC doesn't have a ton of moral ground to stand on right now, but the basketball program is clean. At least that still follows the "Carolina Way" and that is the way it needs to remain.

But this man is so ****ing stubborn.

I could go on for 10 paragraphs while covering many different facets of that thesis. I'm not going to, though.

All I will is Roy needs to unleash PJ. I don't know what PJ ever did him to be in his doghouse since his arrival at UNC. He takes 1 bad shot and he's yanked. Dex takes 3 horrible shots and he stays in the game until he gives the fatigue sign. Give me a break already.

You give PJ a little leash to play with and he can become the best player on the team. I just don't understand why... And the thing is, PJ has actually developed into a good defensive player. He's terrific on the boards. You punch him in the face, he will murder you. He's everything the team needs.

ukfan22
11-20-2012, 11:34 PM
Grinnell (Div III) player drops 138 points

http://abcnews.go.com/Sports/wireStory/jack-taylor-scores-138-points-grinnell-17774158

irondarts
11-20-2012, 11:42 PM

http://abcnews.go.com/Sports/wireStory/jack-taylor-scores-138-points-grinnell-17774158
lol @ the box score.

https://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash4/417090_10151117977256006_1060693915_n.png

Jackass18
11-20-2012, 11:47 PM
Ball hog

SourPatchKids
11-21-2012, 12:29 AM
Great game so far.

SourPatchKids
11-21-2012, 12:58 AM
OH MY GOODNESS Porteeeeeeeer!

SourPatchKids
11-21-2012, 12:59 AM
Can they do it?

SourPatchKids
11-21-2012, 01:00 AM
Georgetown is definitely a top 18 team.

SourPatchKids
11-21-2012, 01:01 AM
Porter again! Gotta defend for 4 more seconds though

KG215
11-21-2012, 01:02 AM
Otto Porter is a stud.

SourPatchKids
11-21-2012, 01:02 AM
Overtime baby! What a game

kNicKz
11-21-2012, 01:09 AM
too much dick vitale for one weekend

Jackass18
11-21-2012, 01:09 AM
Hmm, don't like this one-way officiating in this game.

SourPatchKids
11-21-2012, 01:12 AM
Drats

noob cake
11-21-2012, 01:14 AM
Refs killing Hoyas.

Zeller is being babied like a NBA superstar.

SourPatchKids
11-21-2012, 01:16 AM
Good effort though. :banghead:

kNicKz
11-21-2012, 01:16 AM
all of these free throws do make you wonder

KG215
11-21-2012, 01:28 AM
Indiana: 36 FTA
Georgetown: 10 FTA

SourPatchKids
11-21-2012, 01:40 AM
Indiana: 36 FTA
Georgetown: 10 FTA
:hammerhead:

InspiredLebowski
11-21-2012, 05:03 AM

http://abcnews.go.com/Sports/wireStory/jack-taylor-scores-138-points-grinnell-17774158kid on the other team went 34/44 for 70. More impressive.

SourPatchKids
11-21-2012, 11:26 AM
kid on the other team went 34/44 for 70. More impressive.
34 layups and two free throws?

Grinder
11-21-2012, 12:38 PM
Watched the UCLA game on DVR late last night and the team is clearly a work in progress. They have too many offensive minded players and not enough movement off the ball. Still, you can see Shabazz can score in his sleep and Kyle Anderson is a very unique player.

A lot of people compare Muhammed to Harden and I can see some of the similarities but the former seems to have a higher motor and plays a more physical game. He's got a little MKG in him.

I've been impressed with Sam Dekker on Wisconsin.

IGotACoolStory
11-21-2012, 02:57 PM
I've been impressed with Sam Dekker on Wisconsin.

This guy.

Him and Marcus Smart were my two favorite players in this past recruiting class.

Dekker, right now, is good at everything, not great at anything. But you can tell he will become a very good shooter, and that alone with his ability off the dribble, his athleticism, his basketball IQ, and his natural size (what is he, 6-7?).. Terrific prospect. Actually kind of reminds me a little of Gallo. Who ironically I've never been a fan of. And, yes, I had to compare white with white.

ILLsmak
11-22-2012, 03:45 AM
kid on the other team went 34/44 for 70. More impressive.

u trollin. If he took 550 shots and got 450 points it would still be amazing because nobody had scored that many points. When you start getting into record-breaking performances, throw efficiency out the window.

It's like saying someone worked their whole life to cure Cancer.

-Smak

Jailblazers7
11-22-2012, 04:13 AM
Michigan was clearly better than Pitt but we played well. The team has no real identity on offense but they share the ball and scrap.

One thing I noticed at the Oakland game and tonight is that we struggle against zones a bit. We need to learn how to collapse the zone and get better shots than corner 3s. Our bigs are just too raw to make a difference on offense. Sad considering we are supposed to have a top freshman C and a former McDs All-American who is still nothing more than a hustle player as a senior.

KG215
11-22-2012, 09:47 PM
Just found he game and started watching, but Adonis Thomas is a player.

Had a feeling he was going to be among those sophomores that were pretty highly rated coming out of high school but, for whatever reason had a semi-quiet freshman year, but would have breakout and/or monster sophomore seasons.

IGotACoolStory
11-22-2012, 11:28 PM
OK, I'm pretty sure the ACC is about to drown soon.

Send me to the Big Ten.

Hell, I'll take the SEC. Maybe that will get the NCAA off our ass and hopefully will destroy that piece of shit trailer school that has been hitched to our truck for all too long.

With Duke. With UVA. Not with NCSU... I don't care really care, tho. Please leave the ACC before there is no more room in, what will eventually become, the only 4 conferences with any type of relevance in the NCAA.

Burgz V2
11-23-2012, 03:04 AM
OK, I'm pretty sure the ACC is about to drown soon.

Send me to the Big Ten.

Hell, I'll take the SEC. Maybe that will get the NCAA off our ass and hopefully will destroy that piece of shit trailer school that has been hitched to our truck for all too long.

With Duke. With UVA. Not with NCSU... I don't care really care, tho. Please leave the ACC before there is no more room in, what will eventually become, the only 4 conferences with any type of relevance in the NCAA.

not really a fan of UNC or Duke but id love to see them in the SEC

ukfan22
11-23-2012, 07:49 PM
oh eat a dick Dan Dakich

InspiredLebowski
11-23-2012, 08:09 PM
oh eat a dick Dan Dakichlol, what's this about?

not really a fan of UNC or Duke but id love to see them in the SEC UNC, and sure as hell not Duke, would never go to the SEC.

UNC goes anywhere they're going to have to leave Duke, local political footballs be dammed. Duke's a small private school that brings absolutely nothing football wise. Great school, great basketball program, but that means pretty much nothing. ACC crumbles UNC and one of UVA or GA Tech are guaranteed Big Ten additions.

ukfan22
11-23-2012, 08:50 PM
Dakich made some comments at the end of the KSt/Michigan game about the end of the UK/IU series. Basically blamed it on Cal, which is asinine and not true.

InspiredLebowski
11-23-2012, 09:05 PM
meh, IU alum, on Knight's staff for 10+ years

Jailblazers7
11-23-2012, 10:27 PM
Oklahoma sucks but Im really liking Gonzaga's team this season. Theyve got better depth and size than they have had in the past.

Snoop_Cat
11-23-2012, 11:18 PM
bob knight approves:

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/ncaab-the-dagger/morehead-state-suspends-sean-woods-one-game-exchange-183708738--ncaab.html

ukfan22
11-23-2012, 11:25 PM
Archie Goodwin might be the best guard Cal has had here

he is really good

SourPatchKids
11-24-2012, 12:35 AM
Oregon can play with anybody in the nation.

KG215
11-24-2012, 01:56 AM
20 year anniversary of the 1992 Duke/Kentucky game, and Duke and Kentucky have already played for just the third time since '92, and now those two coaches will be facing each other when Duke and Louisville play in the Battle for Atlantis finals tomorrow. Just the second time ever Coach K and Pitino have coached against each other.

ukfan22
11-24-2012, 02:35 AM
we've actually played 4 times since 92, Duke is 3-1

there was a kind of forgotten game in 99, I barely remember details of it myself, other than they won

KG215
11-24-2012, 03:24 AM
we've actually played 4 times since 92, Duke is 3-1

there was a kind of forgotten game in 99, I barely remember details of it myself, other than they won
Forgot about that game. To be honest I thought they just said (during the Duke/Kentucky game a few weeks ago) that it was just the third time since 1992 the two teams were playing each other.

I'm actually more surprised this is the first time coach K and Pitino will face each other since 1992.

qrich
11-24-2012, 05:15 AM
CSUN gonna kill BYU tomorrow and improve to 7-0

ukfan22
11-24-2012, 08:54 AM
Forgot about that game. To be honest I thought they just said (during the Duke/Kentucky game a few weeks ago) that it was just the third time since 1992 the two teams were playing each other.

I'm actually more surprised this is the first time coach K and Pitino will face each other since 1992.

that is surprising, I agree

Rose
11-24-2012, 01:07 PM
Just found he game and started watching, but Adonis Thomas is a player.

Had a feeling he was going to be among those sophomores that were pretty highly rated coming out of high school but, for whatever reason had a semi-quiet freshman year, but would have breakout and/or monster sophomore seasons.
His injury last year really set him back. He had a slow as **** start to the season, then said on twitter he was quitting it to focus more on basketball, and that started playing better.:oldlol:

Then got injured.:( And was out till the Tourney.

Tigers are disappointing me already. The pieces are there, I just still don't know if Pastner is the guy to put everything together. I'm not expecting top ten team don't get me wrong. I feel like losing to Minny was pretty bad. I knew they'd lose to VCU, bad matchup and all. But it was how they lost that pissed me off.

SourPatchKids
11-24-2012, 11:21 PM
Northridge going to be 7-0 if they can pull this one off tonight.

InspiredLebowski
11-25-2012, 12:39 AM
Penn State's Tim Frazier, who's pretty much their only good player, tore his Achilles a few days ago. They'd be in full on tank mode if they were in the NBA, they may not win a conference game now.

In other news, this Duke/Louisville game's pretty great.

InspiredLebowski
11-25-2012, 12:47 AM
So Duke's beaten Kentucky, VCU, Minnesota, and Louisville. They should be #1 next week.

IlliniFan
11-25-2012, 07:04 PM
Illinois just BARELY pulled one out at home against Gardner Webb...Took a 3 pointer in the last 5 seconds to go up 1 and get the win. Hope that was just a hangover of sorts from the Maui trip. They need to be better than that at home.

wang4three
11-25-2012, 07:05 PM
Illinois just BARELY pulled one out at home against Gardner Webb...Took a 3 pointer in the last 5 seconds to go up 1 and get the win. Hope that was just a hangover of sorts from the Maui trip. They need to be better than that at home.

Hawaii and then Gardner-Webb? Gosh.. Thank god for seniors.

SourPatchKids
11-25-2012, 07:55 PM
Jet-lagged Illini showing their resiliency.

SourPatchKids
11-26-2012, 12:03 AM
Tonight first time for me watching Shabazz in live action.

SourPatchKids
11-26-2012, 01:02 AM
What a win for Poly.

beer
11-26-2012, 01:17 AM
i have never missed a ucla basketball or football game since a year before i attended the university. i'll officially not watch another game until howland is fired. blowing a 17 point lead to cal ****ing poly and losing? unacceptable.

IGotACoolStory
11-26-2012, 01:19 AM
Should have loss to Georgia and UCI.

UCLA is incredibly overrated again. What a shocker...

Tyler Lamb transferred early today.

That makes it 9 separate recruits from Mater Dei transferring in the last 9 years. 11 total transfers between those 9 players.

Worst. Basketball Factory. Ever.

KG215
11-26-2012, 01:22 AM
I don't know how big of basketball rivals SDSU and USC are, but after tonight they're going to hate each other. At least the players on these current rosters will hate each other.

Some dirty and cheap flagrant/intentional fouls by USC in the final few minutes.

And clearly, right now at least, UCLA is vastly overrated....again. I hope we're not going to be saying the same thing about UNC for the second time in four seasons.

KG215
11-26-2012, 01:30 AM
Seeing how UCLA lost makes it even worse.

Tied 68-68 a UCLA player intentionally fouls with 14 seconds left. Cal Poly makes both FTs and win 70-68.

HB40TheNextStar
11-26-2012, 02:37 AM
How do you feel?

This is my line of thinking:

1) 2010 was everything bad happening that could happen.
-Overblown expectations from the pre-season polls.
-A severe lack of leadership within the roster.
-Freshman class was a building block, not instant impact.
-Returning players didn't step up, particularly from the seniors.
-Terrible chemistry (very surprising from a Roy Williams team). There are quotes from players that said the team was divided.
-An unbelievably terrible luck with injuries.

In 2006 it was the exact opposite. Underrated, the best leader Roy has ever coached (his words) stepped up, returning role players willing to take bigger roles, a group of frosh ready to produce, great chemistry, and fortunate luck with health.

Back to 2010, I'm not sure what was the singular piece that turned that season sour--if there was one. I do believe we definitely make the NCAA Tournament with a healthy team. I realize a lot of the fallout gets pointed back to the three transfers and they're partly to blame. But (imo) most of the blame should probably fall on Ginyard and Thompson.

Look, I know what we were getting from Ginyard as a player. He's not as bad UNC fans make him out to be (watch the 2007 NCAA Tournament and tell me he didn't belong) because people seem to only remember him post-injuries. However, that is the player he was as a senior and I didn't expect him to take a Noel-jump or anything. Deon is another story.

But those guys were a part of the winningest group of players in UNC history. Not a hyperbole. The 05 class is literally the golden era in terms of winning percentage and total wins in the history of the program. I expected more in the leadership department from them. Don't want to get completely sucked in to this topic again, so...

All of that brings me to this season.

2) The 2013 season
-Overblown expectations?
--Overrated, sure. Most UNC fans said so when we saw the rankings. 2006 gave unreal expectations for what a rebuilding year should be, while 2010 humbled us back down to earth. General expectations seems realistic (5-6 seed first weekend NCAAs) for the mass. Put it this way: When you are rationalizing your ranking by talking about other teams instead of your own, your team is probably not that good. That seemed to be the case this off-season.
-Leadership?
--This I can't comment on yet. However, McDonald and Strickland went out of their way to say that wouldn't be a problem this time around. Those two, of course, being the only remaining players from 2010.
-Freshman class: building block or instant impact?
--Thus far, I think it's a little of both. It's difficult because I had no expectations for this class, seeing as it is one of the lowest rated (lowest overall?) Roy has ever brought into this program. To this point they have overachieved. I see two legitimate freshman starters in Johnson and Paige, and James and Tokoto can obviously play right now. Problem is the competition hasn't been great, yet.
-Returning players?
--McAdoo has clearly stepped up his game. Not sure how much after watching him in Maui... But I think a truly poor #1 option, which sounds much worse than it actually is. The other guys are about the same which is good and bad. Good in that they are steady and extremely effective in their roles. Bad in that they are no longer surrounded by 3 lottery picks. PJ is the tipping point in all of this and Bullock is already better than anyone we had on 2010.
-Chemistry:
--See the "leadership" comments. In post game interviews, the freshman are always talking about how much Bullock, Strickland, and McDonald have been helping them.
-Injuries:
--We shall see. We have certainly been on the short end of this stick since 2009.

As a whole, I actually feel really good about the future of this team. Although more towards the next season or two.

This year? It will come down to 4 key points:
1) McAdoo, Bullock, and Hariston -- How many, if any, can consistently come out and play against the best teams?
2) The freshman and how they progress throughout the season.
3) Injuries.
4) Roy Williams. This is the type of team Coach Smith takes and grooms them into a legitimate top ten team by March. Roy absolutely needs to make adjustments in his game planning (which he started to do in Maui). I have ideas, but I'm no coach. He's supposed to know more about basketball in his little pinky than I do my entire self, so let's see him show why he wins nearly 80% of his games.

Yep, this is what goes through my head when I know I need to be sleeping. An addiction, really, and I wouldn't have it any other way.

qrich
11-26-2012, 06:39 PM
Northridge going to be 7-0 if they can pull this one off tonight.

I loved the effort they showed. Stayed relatively close, forced BYU to go from zone to man as they kept buttering up the zone, weathered the first half run and even had a really nice run in the 2nd half, just didn't have the second one in them which many small conference schools realistically don't.

6-1 as the nations youngest team with half the wins being in double digits and a tough loss @ BYU. @ UCLA and @ ASU will both be exciting games, and both are winnable in my opinion.

I mean, UCLA is my major team to cheer for, but losing to Cal Poly and nearly losing to UC Irvine, both teams are a combined 5-6 while playing poor competition (Nevada probably being the best team either side has faced, and they lost to them), but I firmly believe CSUN can beat them. ASU is a good 4-1 with a loss to Creighton, but feel confident that Mats can upset.

I love watching Stephen Hicks play, truly believe he has to be one of the best players on a small/mid-major conference school. 18.4/8.4 in 29.6 minutes on 55/56/82 shooting. Beast. Really need him to play well against Bazz/Adams/Kyle along with THE (best nickname in sports?), Maxwell and Perry doing well enough to protect the paint. Also think Landon Drew will beast.

KG215
11-26-2012, 08:35 PM
How do you feel?

This is my line of thinking:

1) 2010 was everything bad happening that could happen.
-Overblown expectations from the pre-season polls.
-A severe lack of leadership within the roster.
-Freshman class was a building block, not instant impact.
-Returning players didn't step up, particularly from the seniors.
-Terrible chemistry (very surprising from a Roy Williams team). There are quotes from players that said the team was divided.
-An unbelievably terrible luck with injuries.
That's pretty much all that anyone should really look at regarding 2010. The injuries, one right after another, ruined what was already going to be a down year. But all your other points are very valid. UNC wasn't a top 10 team that year (like their preseason ranking tried to indicate) even when healthy, but they were an NCAA tournament team.

And, yes, the team chemistry (from what I heard/read) sounded like a bunch of high school drama nonsense where half the team sided with "this" guy and the other half the team sided with "that" guy.

Back to 2010, I'm not sure what was the singular piece that turned that season sour--if there was one. I do believe we definitely make the NCAA Tournament with a healthy team. I realize a lot of the fallout gets pointed back to the three transfers and they're partly to blame. But (imo) most of the blame should probably fall on Ginyard and Thompson.
It was just a really, really weird season. In hindsight, why in the hell did Roy even entertain the John Henson at SF experiment, let alone go through with it? But I agree, the two seniors that year showed virtually zero leadership. Neither were NBA talents (or even NBA athletes) and, on a young team, it didn't help any that our two seniors was a below the rim 6'8" PF, and a 6'5" "defensive specialist" who wasn't even that good of a defender and couldn't shoot. Or course that's being unfair because that was post-injuries Ginyard. He was on his way to being a stud before that.

But those guys were a part of the winningest group of players in UNC history. Not a hyperbole. The 05 class is literally the golden era in terms of winning percentage and total wins in the history of the program. I expected more in the leadership department from them. Don't want to get completely sucked in to this topic again, so...
Again, I agree. It was a major disappointment from a leadership standpoint.

2) The 2013 season
-Overblown expectations?
--Overrated, sure. Most UNC fans said so when we saw the rankings. 2006 gave unreal expectations for what a rebuilding year should be, while 2010 humbled us back down to earth. General expectations seems realistic (5-6 seed first weekend NCAAs) for the mass. Put it this way: When you are rationalizing your ranking by talking about other teams instead of your own, your team is probably not that good. That seemed to be the case this off-season.[/QUOTE]
This. Just like in 2010, people like to "laugh and point" about UNC being so overrated, when any level-headed UNC fan (then and now) would tell you they weren't worthy of their preseason ranking. I felt in 2010 they shouldn't have even been preseason top 10; and this year I thought they should've been ranked in the 20-25 range.

-Leadership?
--This I can't comment on yet. However, McDonald and Strickland went out of their way to say that wouldn't be a problem this time around. Those two, of course, being the only remaining players from 2010.
I was disappointed in what I saw in the first half of the Butler game. We fell behind big early, and none of the guys really stepped-up. The guards (Dex, Reggie, Leslie) kept jacking up threes, and McAdoo couldn't have looked any more disinterested. The second half of that game, though, was encouraging. A completely different team came out of the locker room and trimmed a 30 point deficit to 6 or 7 and had the ball to make get it under 5.

-Freshman class: building block or instant impact?
--Thus far, I think it's a little of both. It's difficult because I had no expectations for this class, seeing as it is one of the lowest rated (lowest overall?) Roy has ever brought into this program. To this point they have overachieved. I see two legitimate freshman starters in Johnson and Paige, and James and Tokoto can obviously play right now. Problem is the competition hasn't been great, yet.
There's going to be a lot of ups-and-downs with a freshman running the point in Roy's offense. I've already made my piece with that. I'm not saying Paige will be next Felton or Lawson, but both of them struggled their freshman seasons. However, playing with a lot of passion and intensity is something I've seen in Paige's game (even when he's struggling). I wish we could make Johnson and James one player this season. Johnson is an active player with a high motor and has shown good ability to score around the basket, but he's weak and gets pushed around too easily. Meanwhile, James has shown brief flashes of being a defensive force, and is virtually immovable once he gets position.

-Returning players?
--McAdoo has clearly stepped up his game. Not sure how much after watching him in Maui... But I think a truly poor #1 option, which sounds much worse than it actually is. The other guys are about the same which is good and bad. Good in that they are steady and extremely effective in their roles. Bad in that they are no longer surrounded by 3 lottery picks. PJ is the tipping point in all of this and Bullock is already better than anyone we had on 2010.
The season will ultimately go as P.J. and Reggie go. If they both realize they can be much more than three point shooters, then UNC will be pretty good by the end of the season. Both have prototypical wing size (P.J. at 6'5" 220 and Bullock at 6'6"-6'7" 210) and have shown they can be lethal scorers when the mix up dribble drives with their three point shooting. I think P.J. is the most talented of the two, and both have much higher ceilings than perimeter player on the 2010 team.

-Chemistry:
--See the "leadership" comments. In post game interviews, the freshman are always talking about how much Bullock, Strickland, and McDonald have been helping them.
It's early, but the chemistry already seems better than it was in 2010. Obviously it won't always look that way, but at least these guys seem to fit together better.

-Injuries:
--We shall see. We have certainly been on the short end of this stick since 2009.
Reports today that P.J. is hurt and will probably miss the Indiana game already has me (and a lot of UNC fans) in "here we go again" mode. Hopefully it's just a minor injury that will only cause him to miss one game.

This year? It will come down to 4 key points:
1) McAdoo, Bullock, and Hariston -- How many, if any, can consistently come out and play against the best teams?
2) The freshman and how they progress throughout the season.
3) Injuries.
4) Roy Williams. This is the type of team Coach Smith takes and grooms them into a legitimate top ten team by March. Roy absolutely needs to make adjustments in his game planning (which he started to do in Maui). I have ideas, but I'm no coach. He's supposed to know more about basketball in his little pinky than I do my entire self, so let's see him show why he wins nearly 80% of his games.
Agree with all of this. Like I said, this season will ultimately go as P.J. and Reggie go; McAdoo as well. However, the "x-factor" in having a good season probably ultimately hinges on Pagie's development. He was supposed to come in and be Marshall's back-up his freshman year. Instead, he's been thrown into the fire. If he continues to improve, I don't think the other freshmen's improvement is as vital. Obviously they can't stay where they are now, but Paige is the key.

kNicKz
11-27-2012, 08:19 AM
UCLA reminds me of uconn last year, a lot of weapons but they just couldn't come together to win games, I think they'll get it together in time for the tournament

Burgz V2
11-27-2012, 07:29 PM
i have never missed a ucla basketball or football game since a year before i attended the university. i'll officially not watch another game until howland is fired. blowing a 17 point lead to cal ****ing poly and losing? unacceptable.

im surprised fans weren't asking for his head when the whole reeves nelson debacle happened. all the press that came out of it really changed how i viewe him and the program.

KG215
11-27-2012, 08:21 PM
Not that I expected UNC to win tonight. In fact, I thought even at 100% there was a chance this could be a 20ish point win for Indiana. But now, with P.J. Hairston not playing - one of UNC's 2-3 best shooters and one of two perimeter players who can actually put the ball on the floor and score off dribble penetration - I'm really scared.

Of course Hairston wasn't even get as many minutes as he probably should get, so it may not really matter.

beer
11-27-2012, 09:51 PM
im surprised fans weren't asking for his head when the whole reeves nelson debacle happened. all the press that came out of it really changed how i viewe him and the program.

they were... go look at articles on any ucla blog or posts on any ucla forum before the story broke and while it broke. They wanted him fired before for missing the tourney 2 out of 3 years. To them, the si article was the final nail in the coffin.

all ucla fans and alums want him fired. about half of us (including myself) were silenced after the recruiting class and said ok, we'll give him this year to redeem himself. because there was no way our AD would fire him after that class. (our AD is a well documented idiot) well it doesn't matter and it didn't take long, he's failing.

on another note. george dohrmann has been attacking ucla since the harrick days. this is probably the fourth smear piece he's come out with against us, all of which have failed miserably(the point of dohrmann originally looking into our program was to look for recruiting violations, which he didn't find. but the man still needs a story!). i don't believe him to be honest. most if not all the players nelson supposedly bullied have denied it. (i found this link with a quick google search, it doesn't have all the players and quotes. there are a lot more than just honeycutt denying it.)

According to Nelson's lawsuit, the article claimed he was not punished after fighting with multiple teammates and intentionally injuring them during practice. The S.I. article also claims Nelson "urinated on [a teammate's] bed and clothes" -- purely as revenge for the player allegedly squealing about a New Year's Eve party.

But Nelson's high-powered entertainment lawyer Keith Fink says they can prove Dohrmann "recklessly and negligently failed to investigate the claims in the article." The lawsuit includes declarations from 18 UCLA players and ex-players who deny every allegation about Nelson.

In fact, former teammate Tyler Honeycutt says, "Nelson did not pile my clothes on my bed, and he certainly did not urinate on my clothes." According to the suit, most of the players say Dohrmann never contacted them -- and the 2 who were contacted denied the allegations.

The lawsuit further claims the S.I. writer has a longstanding beef with UCLA because he "publicly attacked UCLA's Baron Davis for driving a black 1991 Chevy Blazer, which Dohrmann publicly claimed had been purchased in violation of NCAA rules." NCAA investigators later shot down those allegations.

Read more: http://www.tmz.com/2012/05/23/reeves-nelson-ucla-basketball-sports-illustrated-defamation-lawsuit/#ixzz2DTVaPqni

fire howland.

Burgz V2
11-27-2012, 11:12 PM
they were... go look at articles on any ucla blog or posts on any ucla forum before the story broke and while it broke. They wanted him fired before for missing the tourney 2 out of 3 years. To them, the si article was the final nail in the coffin.

all ucla fans and alums want him fired. about half of us (including myself) were silenced after the recruiting class and said ok, we'll give him this year to redeem himself. because there was no way our AD would fire him after that class. (our AD is a well documented idiot) well it doesn't matter and it didn't take long, he's failing.

on another note. george dohrmann has been attacking ucla since the harrick days. this is probably the fourth smear piece he's come out with against us, all of which have failed miserably(the point of dohrmann originally looking into our program was to look for recruiting violations, which he didn't find. but the man still needs a story!). i don't believe him to be honest. most if not all the players nelson supposedly bullied have denied it. (i found this link with a quick google search, it doesn't have all the players and quotes. there are a lot more than just honeycutt denying it.)

fire howland.

with respect dohrmann, as a big program there will always be detractors. however, the response he had to Nelson's actions was despicable, simply, he allowed him to act that way because he was an important player to the team. you think Bill Self or Billy Donavan would tolerate that? Hells to the fcuk no.

the recruiting class actually makes me hate him even more. the only reason these players (Shabazz, Anderson especially) went there is because they are likely one and dones if they have a great season, taking into consideration as well that they will likely be running the show not howland.

unfortunately, i dont see it happening anytime soon if this recruiting class plays wins or play well in Pac 12

KG215
11-27-2012, 11:27 PM
Kept it pretty close most of the half. But how does a Roy Williams team get beat down the floor over and over? You go against that every damn day in practice, and I'd venture to guess Indiana had 10-15 points in the first half just because Zeller or someone else outran UNC after a made basket and got an easy dunk or layup.

F***. Indiana closed the first half on a 15-6 run and now they're up 9. UNC's two upperclassmen guards are playing like shit, too. JMM has been solid but, of all people, their freshman PG has probably been the best player. Paige has really impressed me.

beer
11-27-2012, 11:37 PM
well we agree on one point. we both hate howland. i really don't care if the SI article is or isn't true at this point in time, i just want him fired. unfortunately the story didn't get him fired, but it does look like this embarrassment of a season will.

as far as the recruits running the show... i wish. maybe ucla basketball would actually be fun to watch. it's still howland's unbearable offense. and you can add jordan adams to that list. he has stated many times it was his goal to be a one and done. sucks cause he's my fav of the recruits so far but whatever, doubt he'd stay when the new coaching staff is hired next year.

but can you elaborate on this

the recruiting class actually makes me hate him even more. the only reason these players (Shabazz, Anderson especially) went there is because they are likely one and dones if they have a great season

isn't that why all those top recruits go to kentucky.... cause they're one and dones and want to have a successful season... maybe i'm just not understanding what you're trying to say.

KG215
11-27-2012, 11:49 PM
This is more like what I expected. Indiana starts the second half on a 10-0 run. UNC has 0 points in the first 4 minutes.

No way in hell is UNC a top 15 (or even top 25) team right now.

Burgz V2
11-28-2012, 12:17 AM
well we agree on one point. we both hate howland. i really don't care if the SI article is or isn't true at this point in time, i just want him fired. unfortunately the story didn't get him fired, but it does look like this embarrassment of a season will.

as far as the recruits running the show... i wish. maybe ucla basketball would actually be fun to watch. it's still howland's unbearable offense. and you can add jordan adams to that list. he has stated many times it was his goal to be a one and done. sucks cause he's my fav of the recruits so far but whatever, doubt he'd stay when the new coaching staff is hired next year.

but can you elaborate on this

isn't that why all those top recruits go to kentucky.... cause they're one and dones and want to have a successful season... maybe i'm just not understanding what you're trying to say.

Just referring to a possibility as to why his freshman class was so strong this year. You have two guys openly saying they want to only play one year (Adams and Shabazz) and another (Anderson) who can make the jump if they make a run this year. Seems hard to believe they all said "ah man let's restore greatness to this program" that's all

as for the offense, it hasn't been as bad as previous years, but i agree. His style died with the Big East (too soon?) and it just doesn't appeal to players looking to play only one year.

btw i think ALL of these freshman would be making a mistake declaring. Jordan Adams is already an NBA shooter, but not an NBA defender...yet. Kyle Anderson has an amazing feel for the game but he needs to get so much stronger its not even funny. Shabazz is still too out of shape to tell i guess. If howland got fired and they were looking to stay in school theyd probably be all gone to other schools anyways

noob cake
11-28-2012, 12:25 AM
Can't wait until Feb 13.

HB40TheNextStar
11-28-2012, 01:54 AM
There are a few ways I want to approach this. I think I will go with this...

Roy needs to change the way he recruits. I'm not saying start secretly handing bags of cash and keys to a brand new car over to recruits, their handlers, or whomever else. Not saying get involved with World Wide Wes or Brian Clifton. Both of which are impossible now anyway, since Roy burned those bridges long ago, and thankfully so.

But Roy, like all coaches, have a type. This is from his book:

“I remember going to recruit Marvin Williams, and in one game he had 36 points. But that wasn’t what sold me on him. Marvin fouled out of that game, and while the crowd was giving him a standing ovation, he walked over to the end of the bench and grabbed five cups of water and handed them to the five guys who were going back into the game. I said to myself, ‘I really want this kid.’”

That's his type.

And there is nothing even remotely wrong with gracious, down to earth kids (that's what high school recruits are) at all. If I were a coach, I would want all my players to be exactly like that.

Except... also have the ability to turn on a switch when they step on the court.

Marvin Williams? Extremely talented basketball player who is perfectly fine with being a role player. Not in a good way like fitting within the team's scheme, but more like willing to sit in the background.

Reggie Bullock is the same. That's the reason why JP Tokoto went from the top recruit to nearly dropping out the top 100 in less than a year. Love the guy and at least he produced, but Tyler Zeller is somewhat from that mold. There are many others as well.

You can't possibly tell me there aren't players who are humble off the court and killers on. Durant and Rose come to mind... Although neither would have qualified at UNC (so close with Durant...), and I guess that's the biggest obstacle.

To his defense, Roy did find several like Lawson, Hansbrough, Hairston, Barnes and a few others.

What makes things worse is that most kids now see college as a stepping stone to the NBA. Which is fine and all, except it's no longer the top kids who see that. You have 60-100 kids wanting to come in and start right away and then get drafted as quickly as possible. Even if it's not realistically possible, the advice they get makes them think otherwise. Hell, look at Troy Williams (Indiana recruit) and his ordeal.

It's obviously a different game nowadays and I don't even know what Roy can do. But something needs to change, because he followed suit with his 2013 class again. Unless by the very off chance we land Wiggins. And then he would just be an anomaly.

In a nutshell: I'm tired of players pussying out and avoiding contact.

And I'm not backing down. I still see a nice future with this current group of players in 1-2 years.

InspiredLebowski
11-28-2012, 03:15 AM
the amount of "feels good to be a Hoosier" Facebook statuses from people I know for a fact have never even been to Bloomington, let alone are actual Hoosiers. jesus christ. these are the same people that are Notre Dame football fans.

StateProperty
11-28-2012, 10:28 AM
Pains me to watch a team like UNC. Talented yet they play SO SOFT and undisciplined/seemingly unmotivated. Starts with McAdoo. He attacks the rim like he's 6'1" avoiding contact. I almost feel they play better when he's not in the game.

They need a fire lit under their ass. Paige is the only player I like.

Burgz V2
11-28-2012, 10:31 AM
the amount of "feels good to be a Hoosier" Facebook statuses from people I know for a fact have never even been to Bloomington, let alone are actual Hoosiers. jesus christ. these are the same people that are Notre Dame football fans.

yikes :facepalm

kNicKz
11-28-2012, 10:56 AM
Louisville moves to the ACC, have "better football program" than Uconn.

Not last saturday I guess :roll:

Dolphin
11-28-2012, 02:25 PM
So Big 10 is up 4-2 heading into tonight's games. They obviously have the advantage, but I can see the ACC at least getting a tie out of this.

I will give Wisconsin and Clemson wins tonight. 5-3.

If Harris and Trice were back and not possibly rusty, I'd be confident enough that MSU would win at Miami....but MSU is always susceptible to road losses against an ok team...especially this early. If those two do play tonight, hopefully there's good cohesion. Turnovers will give Miami a chance if they aren't under check tonight as well. I will give MSU the win, but am not very confident. Hopefully they win big and give a glimpse of what they can become. 6-3.

I want to give Illinois the win, but I'm not sold on them yet. They are definitely not good enough to play average and win tonight. I think this game will come down to the wire. Now the ACC would have to win this game, the OSU/Duke game and a terrible game between BC/PSU. I doubt they can do that, but the MSU, Illinois and Wisconsin games are pretty important.

KG215
11-28-2012, 03:43 PM
So Big 10 is up 4-2 heading into tonight's games. They obviously have the advantage, but I can see the ACC at least getting a tie out of this.

I will give Wisconsin and Clemson wins tonight. 5-3.

If Harris and Trice were back and not possibly rusty, I'd be confident enough that MSU would win at Miami....but MSU is always susceptible to road losses against an ok team...especially this early. If those two do play tonight, hopefully there's good cohesion. Turnovers will give Miami a chance if they aren't under check tonight as well. I will give MSU the win, but am not very confident. Hopefully they win big and give a glimpse of what they can become. 6-3.

I want to give Illinois the win, but I'm not sold on them yet. They are definitely not good enough to play average and win tonight. I think this game will come down to the wire. Now the ACC would have to win this game, the OSU/Duke game and a terrible game between BC/PSU. I doubt they can do that, but the MSU, Illinois and Wisconsin games are pretty important.
Last night went about as expected. I expected Michigan and Indiana to win, especially playing at home; but, on top of that, both UNC and NC State were and still are struggling to find their way.

I guess Minnesota winning at Florida State could be looked at as a bit of a surprise, but Minnesota is the better team in my opinion. Don't know much about Nebraska, but Wake Forest is horrible, so I thought that was going to be another Big 10 win.

I'd probably give Ohio State the edge in tonight's game if it was at Ohio State, but I can't see them beating Duke at Duke. Georgia Tech looked surprisingly better than I thought they would during their Thanksgiving break tournament (can't remember the name of it) but I still can't see them going to Illinois and winning.

I don't know...I just thought the Big 10 was clearly the better conference this year. Their top 3-4 teams are much better than the ACC's top 3-4 teams right now, and it's a deeper conference overall in my opinion.

Oh, and the ACC is going to be really, really good (at the top at least) once Syracuse and Louisville join.

Jailblazers7
11-28-2012, 03:48 PM
Pitt better get back to being a top 15 team by the time we get to the ACC or its going to be some tough sledding.

qrich
11-28-2012, 04:03 PM
CSUN going to win a nail biter vs UCLA tonight. Well, would be nice but after Poly upset the Bruins, can't see them dropping two in a row to the Big West. Then again, I thought the same when Irvine nearly upset them.

#23 in Mid-Major polls for the Mats too :bowdown:.

6-1, 3 double digit victories and only loss being at BYU. Youngest team in the nation. Love it. In two years, if they keep developing, and with the Big West getting slightly stronger with Hawaii + another school whose name slips my mind, CSUN will be somewhat relevant :bowdown:

Landon Drew will also embarrass his older brother as well :D

InspiredLebowski
11-28-2012, 05:45 PM
Milton Jennings is suspended tonight, got busted with weed. That definitely helps Purdue's chances against Clemson.

Dolphin
11-28-2012, 09:08 PM
I love the offensive potential of this team. Nix/Payne still aren't aggressive enough at times, but Appling/Harris/Dawson make me wet. Izzo teams will always be stagnant at times, but this team has a flow on offense that is above what you really ever see with them I think.

Dolphin
11-28-2012, 09:22 PM
And I might have been wrong about the Purdue/Clemson game. lol

Big 10 has it booked.

Burgz V2
11-28-2012, 09:45 PM
I love the offensive potential of this team. Nix/Payne still aren't aggressive enough at times, but Appling/Harris/Dawson make me wet. Izzo teams will always be stagnant at times, but this team has a flow on offense that is above what you really ever see with them I think.

the team best when playing off of stops. When the other team is scoring Izzo likes to slow the game way down, but if time to blow it open it doesn't prevent his players from getting out on the break. But it all depends on consecutive stops. So far not bad this season.

Dolphin
11-28-2012, 09:57 PM
It became quite apparent early on that the only way Miami will win is if they keep nailing three pointers...and well they still aren't missing in the second half. Feels like one of the those tourny upsets where N. Iowa or a similar school just keeps hitting shots. lol

InspiredLebowski
11-28-2012, 10:27 PM
Rushing the floor for beating #13? Really Miami?

qrich
11-29-2012, 02:18 AM
Man, I got shit to do, check the score and see CSUN down 51-30 with 14:20 to go...c'mon Mats!

KG215
11-29-2012, 09:50 PM
Is Kentucky even a top 20 team right now? Struggled with Morehead State, and getting handled by Notre Dame tonight and on their way to a double-digit loss.

ukfan22
11-29-2012, 10:10 PM
yeah that was bad

we'll see how it goes on Saturday

KG215
11-30-2012, 03:57 AM
yeah that was bad

we'll see how it goes on Saturday
I think y'all are in the same state as North Carolina right now, except with better freshmen, which means you'll probably be better in the longrun. Only advantage UNC has is that they're deeper and have four or five guys that have experience to balance out their four inexperienced freshmen.

I still think (maybe hope more than think in UNC's case) both teams will be much better by March.

ukfan22
11-30-2012, 07:45 AM
yeah

they played much better against Maryland and Duke, so it could be a bit of an aberration. It was frustrating to watch, but we were missing easy shots and they were making tough ones, and that's how it goes sometimes. The defense needs to get a lot better though, I don't think they really understand how hard you have to play all the time.

KG215
11-30-2012, 08:16 PM
This Tennessee/Georgetown game is a barnburner

Tennessee leads 18-16 at the half.

InspiredLebowski
11-30-2012, 08:17 PM
Calipari's already coached more non-con games in the state of Indiana than IU will play outside of Indiana.

IGotACoolStory
12-01-2012, 02:02 AM
Rumor on twitter saying UVA and GT are announcing that they are leaving for the Big Ten on Monday.

A guy close to the UNC program (and he's often predicted recruits, coaches, etc for the last 8+ years correctly) says if the pieces fall then North Carolina is leaning towards the SEC. Probably with VPI, if UVA is going to the Big Ten.

Although another guy who, to a lesser extent, has also been correct on info over the years is saying we might got to the Big Ten if they take either of UVA or Duke with us.

I don't know what to think, but I do know that the ACC is the conference which will be left out of the new "Big 4". UNC better bolt to the SEC or Big Ten and not die with the "ACC". I say "ACC" since it looks nothing like the original ACC anymore.

InspiredLebowski
12-01-2012, 02:08 AM
UNC runs the ACC. They're going nowhere until the ACC is dead and buried. And unless they're stupid it's to the open arms of the Big Ten and the CIC.

The Big Ten brings dozens of millions. Being in the CIC (which IS the Big Ten) brings literal Billions. As a university there's no reason to say no to the Big Ten. Unless you're Notre Dame's arrogant ass who brings absolutely nothing to the research juggernaut that is the Big Ten. If Notre Dame gave a shit about their actual school they'd have been in the Big Ten in 93.

IGotACoolStory
12-01-2012, 02:28 AM
What is your interpretation of "dead and buried" for the ACC?

The conference is "dead and buried" in my mind if ANY current member leaves for another conference. If the rumor about GT and UVA is true, there is no way the ACC, as we know it, goes on without UVA.

Part of me opens to the SEC idea because, imo, North Carolina is a sleeping football giant. Look what Mack Brown accomplished before North Carolina was stupid in dealing with his contract. Look what Butch Davis could bring in with regards to recruiting. Up to this point, Fedora can actually recruit and coach.

Then in basketball you have two, maybe three if Duke comes along, blue bloods in one conference. In the past 7 seasons, no program has been more successful than North Carolina. And UK is undoubtedly on top of the college basketball world right now. Most all time rankings have both programs 1-3, if not the top two.

Not the mention the baseball in the SEC is worlds better.

However, if I know the university and the government in the state, the move will be to the Big Ten. For your reasons and anything else which the Big Ten has the upper hand academically over the SEC. Which is a lot.

I don't have a personal preference other than to leave the ACC. My personal preference is to take along UVA. Then Duke. Then VPI.

KG215
12-01-2012, 02:46 AM
What is your interpretation of "dead and buried" for the ACC?

The conference is "dead and buried" in my mind if ANY current member leaves for another conference. If the rumor about GT and UVA is true, there is no way the ACC, as we know it, goes on without UVA.

Part of me opens to the SEC idea because, imo, North Carolina is a sleeping football giant. Look what Mack Brown accomplished before North Carolina was stupid in dealing with his contract. Look what Butch Davis could bring in with regards to recruiting. Up to this point, Fedora can actually recruit and coach.

Then in basketball you have two, maybe three if Duke comes along, blue bloods in one conference. In the past 7 seasons, no program has been more successful than North Carolina. And UK is undoubtedly on top of the college basketball world right now. Most all time rankings have both programs 1-3, if not the top two.

Not the mention the baseball in the SEC is worlds better.

However, if I know the university and the government in the state, the move will be to the Big Ten. For your reasons and anything else which the Big Ten has the upper hand academically over the SEC. Which is a lot.

I don't have a personal preference other than to leave the ACC. My personal preference is to take along UVA. Then Duke. Then VPI.
While the possibility of UNC and Kentucky in the same conference (basketball wise) is fun to think about, the bold is what really sticks out to me. UNC has one of the top 5ish baseball programs in the country, and you'd be adding them to a conference that's already sending 8 or so teams a year to the NCAA tournament. The SEC just added A&M and they're pretty good at baseball, too.

So on top of the regular 8ish Super Regional/CWS threats: South Carolina, Florida, LSU, Vandy, Arkansas, Alabama, OM, Mississippi State, and Kentucky, you're throwing in A&M and UNC.

KG215
12-01-2012, 02:58 AM
On the Georgetown/Tennessee barnburner...

Markel Starks scored the eventual game winning bucket for Georgetown...with 4:08 remaining in the game. No player on either team scored more than 8 points. Georgetown won 37-36.

Jailblazers7
12-01-2012, 03:11 AM
So is every major college program east of Illinois eventually going to join the Big Ten or something?

SourPatchKids
12-01-2012, 07:02 AM
OK State vs Virginia Tech is going to be a very good game.

KG215
12-01-2012, 03:35 PM
Kentucky down six to Baylor with less than 3 minutes to go. Their 54 game home win streak is in some jeopardy.

Louisville is also down by four to Illinois State about halfway through the second half.

ukfan22
12-01-2012, 03:40 PM
just can't throw it in the ocean, from the field or the line

this team led the nation in FG% before the ND game, I don't know where those shooters went

Grinder
12-01-2012, 03:47 PM
just can't throw it in the ocean, from the field or the line

this team led the nation in FG% before the ND game, I don't know where those shooters went

You guys will be fine by the time the tourney comes around but this is definitely the most raw freshman class I've seen from Coach Cal since he took over at UK. I think Isaiah Austin is pretty far ahead of Noel and will be drafted ahead of him this summer.

Honestly, I've been more impressed by Cauley-Stein than Noel. Poythress remind me of Terrence Jones a bit. If anyone wants a laugh, go check out Rupp Rafters right now.

IGotACoolStory
12-01-2012, 03:55 PM
Lack of a PG is your problem, imo.

I think UK's ceiling is Elite Eight (if everything clicks) this season. Probably a second weekend team. Which is pretty good, all things considered.

SourPatchKids
12-01-2012, 03:57 PM
Haha loving Santa Hat Wiggins!

IGotACoolStory
12-01-2012, 04:03 PM
Ha, thanks. Props to Fap who made it.

UNC has their own problems. Bullock got injured in the IU game. PJ's been injured since before that. Paige got injured in Maui and he didn't practice today.

Awesome. 2010 all over again, sans the chemistry issues and the injuries happening the guards instead of the bigs. Although similarly in that 2010 had an abundance of bigs like 2013 has an abundance of guards.

Oh, and apparently Luke Davis tweaked his ACL and rolled an ankle. lol...

ukfan22
12-01-2012, 04:14 PM
You guys will be fine by the time the tourney comes around but this is definitely the most raw freshman class I've seen from Coach Cal since he took over at UK. I think Isaiah Austin is pretty far ahead of Noel and will be drafted ahead of him this summer.

Honestly, I've been more impressed by Cauley-Stein than Noel. Poythress remind me of Terrence Jones a bit. If anyone wants a laugh, go check out Rupp Rafters right now.

I'm not sure how you get that about Noel, he missed a lot of easy shots today he normally makes, but he's the only one playing with consistent energy, and he actually does make the right play most of the time.

Poythress, I don't know, he just looks like he's really unsure all of the time. When he gets the ball he usually makes a move, but even then he often goes into multiple defenders and puts up a bad shot. And that's not exclusive to him, the team as a whole tends to lack basketball IQ and situational awareness. He makes these explosive athletic plays, but the savvy, skilled plays seem beyond him at times.

I think they'll get better, these last 2 games they've missed a ton of shots they were making with relative ease early on. Wiltjer has to make shots, he doesn't offer much else out there. He still looks nervous, which is concerning seeing as how he's the only player with experience. Harrow looked good at the end, he has to play and run the team with some efficiency for us to get where we need to be.

Archie is really good, but he's forcing it.

Grinder
12-01-2012, 08:23 PM
I'm not sure how you get that about Noel, he missed a lot of easy shots today he normally makes, but he's the only one playing with consistent energy, and he actually does make the right play most of the time.

Poythress, I don't know, he just looks like he's really unsure all of the time. When he gets the ball he usually makes a move, but even then he often goes into multiple defenders and puts up a bad shot. And that's not exclusive to him, the team as a whole tends to lack basketball IQ and situational awareness. He makes these explosive athletic plays, but the savvy, skilled plays seem beyond him at times.

I think they'll get better, these last 2 games they've missed a ton of shots they were making with relative ease early on. Wiltjer has to make shots, he doesn't offer much else out there. He still looks nervous, which is concerning seeing as how he's the only player with experience. Harrow looked good at the end, he has to play and run the team with some efficiency for us to get where we need to be.

Archie is really good, but he's forcing it.

Noel will be a good player - no doubt about that. I've just never been sold on him as a top 5 pick, let alone the #1 overall. Nothing he's done suggests to me that he'll ever be a refined offensive player. I like his energy and defense but those types of players generally aren't top 5 picks. He was active today but a guy that size going 3/15 in a college gams is unacceptable.

Poythress' decision making is certainly questionable but I love his skillset along with his athleticism and strength. I think another year of school and he could be an absolute monster and top 3 pick.

Wiltjer needs to start taking on a bigger role and playing bigger. He's soft, can't play defense, and when his shot's not falling he's basically useless out there.

Nik Stauskas from Michigan really is an amazing shooter. Love watching these Wolverines play. Could be primed for a deep run in the NCAAs.

KG215
12-01-2012, 08:23 PM
UAB 9 for their last 10 From three including 7 in a row, and UNC still up 8?

I'll take it, I guess, but just another game where a team goes beserk on UNC from three.

IGotACoolStory
12-01-2012, 08:36 PM
Because of UNC's piss poor transition defense. It's not a coincidence every team goes off from 3 against North Carolina.

Roy's defense, by design, wants you to shoot 3's instead of 2's. The problem is our hedging and rotations are so bad this year that we leave guys wide open every time.

Zeller and Henson were great in that area. You would assume McAdoo would be because he's quicker than both. Alas he's not.

KG215
12-01-2012, 09:05 PM
Because of UNC's piss poor transition defense. It's not a coincidence every team goes off from 3 against North Carolina.

Roy's defense, by design, wants you to shoot 3's instead of 2's. The problem is our hedging and rotations are so bad this year that we leave guys wide open every time.

Zeller and Henson were great in that area. You would assume McAdoo would be because he's quicker than both. Alas he's not.
I agree, but they were hitting pull-up jumpers in transition over and over again. Didn't think something like that was sustainable but they sustained for a good stretch.

Like the smallball lineup Roy went with in the second half with Hairston, McDonald, and Bullock all on the floor at the same time. If they could defensive rebound better (which they should since Reggie and P.J. are two of the better rebounders on the team) that could be a pretty dangerous lineup.

KG215
12-01-2012, 09:25 PM
Ben Weixlmann ‏@BWeixScout
As @PorterMoser tweeted a bit ago, I confirmed through multiple sources that former #SLU coach Rick Majerus has passed away.

Sad deal.

IGotACoolStory
12-01-2012, 09:42 PM
Very sad. After Roy, he was Coach Smith's choice to become the next head coach. That was back when Roy decided to stay put at KU and we ended up with Doh.

I used to love him commentating games. Great coach as well.

InspiredLebowski
12-01-2012, 09:54 PM
Majerus passing really sucks. Straight shooter and STELLAR coach that never got his due.

beer
12-01-2012, 10:54 PM
At the sdsu game.... Way more Aztec fans here.

Rose
12-01-2012, 11:08 PM
RIP Majerus.

ukfan22
12-02-2012, 12:11 AM
RIP Rick Majerus, was a great coach

IGotACoolStory
12-02-2012, 01:10 AM
Tough weekend for UCLA fans.

Franklin is a grown ass man. He absolutely owned Bazz from what I saw. Wish he were a better shooter. He would be a top tier NBA prospect with a jumper.

irondarts
12-04-2012, 02:03 AM
Kentucky has dropped out of the AP top 25 poll. They went from being ranked 8th to being Unranked. It's the biggest single week drop since the rankings were expanded to 25 teams in 1990.

kNicKz
12-04-2012, 02:38 PM
Kentucky has dropped out of the AP top 25 poll. They went from being ranked 8th to being Unranked. It's the biggest single week drop since the rankings were expanded to 25 teams in 1990.
:oldlol:

IGotACoolStory
12-04-2012, 11:14 PM
C'mon UConn, make your layups.

Better not lose to this shitty State team.

SourPatchKids
12-04-2012, 11:31 PM
Illinois and Minnesota are lethal.

kNicKz
12-05-2012, 08:52 AM
C'mon UConn, make your layups.

Better not lose to this shitty State team.
Olander is killing us with his rebounding (or lack of). I still love this team. Got my ticket for the harvard game friday. Huskies for life!!

SourPatchKids
12-06-2012, 02:19 AM
Northridge just dropped 120! :bowdown:

qrich
12-06-2012, 03:55 AM
Northridge just dropped 120! :bowdown:

Yes we did, even if it was against Div II Vanguard.

Stephen Hicks dropped 23/11 on 9-12 shooting, this dude can flat out score.

I know its a Small Conference squad, but watch out for CSUN in 2 years. Youngest team this year, 7-2 with only losses being @ UCLA and @ BYU. Hoping we can upset Saturday in Tempe against the Sun Devils. Might be at the game.

IGotACoolStory
12-06-2012, 10:12 PM
Anyone see that Tenn-UVA score?

46-38 loss... following their 37-36 game with G'Town. :facepalm

College basketball needs to change. It's my favorite time of the year but I can't stand it anymore.

It needs to adopt some of the NBA rules. Lower the shot clock to 24, allow 8 seconds to get across the time line, and for the integrity of the sport, get rid of the one and done rule.

Go back to what it once was where you can go straight to the NBA. Change to the baseball rules where it's out of high school or 3 years. Change it to the NFL and add an extra year to make it 2 and done. Some type of adaption... Anything is better than the one and done rule. It's becoming the nail in the coffin for the sport.

I realize they won't change the draft rules because it's only there for the NBA and it's working for them (weeding out the overrated), but how about picking up the pace a bit?

Also that charge circle is embarrassing. Why add it if it's like 5 inches wide?

InspiredLebowski
12-07-2012, 12:47 AM
I'm in complete agreement with getting rid of the one and done rule, but that's the NBA's rule, not the NCAA's.

qrich
12-08-2012, 02:20 AM
CSUN is going to kill ASU tomorrow night :D

InspiredLebowski
12-08-2012, 02:32 AM
step inside the FT line, in an actual game, over a dude (http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=bhoah2OGltM)

forget about the ridiculous charge call

SourPatchKids
12-08-2012, 02:52 AM
Look out, Towson is 4-4. :eek:

SourPatchKids
12-08-2012, 02:53 AM
Who's going to watch Temple vs Duke tommorow?

kNicKz
12-08-2012, 03:48 AM
ryan boatright is god

KG215
12-08-2012, 03:20 PM
It didn't cost them the game or anything, because Michigan murdered Arkansas on the glass, and they're just flatout better; but Arkansas just played an entire 40 minute game and shot two FT's.

qrich
12-08-2012, 03:53 PM
Only down 10, lets go Mats!

SourPatchKids
12-08-2012, 05:06 PM
Who's going to watch Temple vs Duke tommorow?
Good one so far.

IGotACoolStory
12-08-2012, 07:07 PM
Unbeaten VPI falls. Both look like average-bad teams to me.

Texas and UCLA game is embarrassing. From the basketball ability to the crowd... Which has like 400 people there :facepalm Disgusting from those fan bases.

SourPatchKids
12-08-2012, 07:35 PM
9-0 Illinois plays 9-0 Gonzaga!

qrich
12-08-2012, 07:46 PM
CSUN lost by 11 to ASU. Hate losing, but three road games against the Bruins, Cougars and now Sun Devils will pay dividends in March. Took a record breaking day for the Sun Devils starting Center as well.

Landon Drew with 16/6/5 and only 2 turnovers on 6-7 shooting and 4-4 from three was awesome.

IGotACoolStory
12-08-2012, 08:27 PM
UCLA-Texas game was beyond horrible.

Words cannot describe how bad that game was.

InspiredLebowski
12-09-2012, 12:14 AM
Purdue lost to ****ing Eastern Michigan. I didn't expect a lot out of this year, but man, this team is pretty shitty. Finishing better than 10th in the conference would be an accomplishment at this point.

That CBI tourney or whatever it's called still exists right?

sunsfan1357
12-09-2012, 02:01 PM
The Wildcats were able to handle Clemson yesterday, can't wait for the Saturday showdown against Florida.

Jailblazers7
12-09-2012, 02:45 PM
Purdue lost to ****ing Eastern Michigan. I didn't expect a lot out of this year, but man, this team is pretty shitty. Finishing better than 10th in the conference would be an accomplishment at this point.

That CBI tourney or whatever it's called still exists right?

Yeah, Pitt won it last year lol

IGotACoolStory
12-09-2012, 04:05 PM
Anyone see this free throw attempt?

https://www.youtube.com/embed/x-MW5tkTWtQ

lol. He makes Dwight Howard look like Mark Price.

SourPatchKids
12-09-2012, 08:12 PM
Anyone see this free throw attempt?

https://www.youtube.com/embed/x-MW5tkTWtQ

lol. He makes Dwight Howard look like Mark Price.
Lol my friends were joking with each other that they would give $100 if on of them would do this in a real game.

ILLsmak
12-10-2012, 04:57 AM
9-0 Illinois plays 9-0 Gonzaga!

brandon.

-Smak

Dolphin
12-10-2012, 02:30 PM
Glad to see Illinois staying on their roll. Things falling into place this year....finally. Maybe it was just Bruce. lol

Big 10 is crazy. Not used to seeing 5 teams that many think are better or at least equal to MSU (we will see come conference season though, right?). It should only help the teams in the long run, but am not looking forward to the loss total by season's end. lol

Turnovers and not letting teams shoot threes like in the Miami game will be key. Also, Nix and Payne gotta man the **** up. I love Appling, Harris and Dawson. Trice and Valentine are decent backups as well. But if Nix/Payne aren't gonna put up more than 10 points (at best) each game then they gotta start averaging 10+ rpg or something. Own the offensive boards even more than they do. I'd love there to be a good post scorer, but if the perimeter players can handle that for the most part, then hopefully the bigs can focus on not looking like lost girls out there at times.

SourPatchKids
12-10-2012, 09:08 PM
Yea, conference play in the Big 10 should be wild!

InspiredLebowski
12-11-2012, 02:24 AM
I guess if there's a "good thing" about Purdue being so young it's that the Big Ten's gonna be crazy this year so all those kids will get ample quality experience. Might look like a whole different team come late February, but I kinda doubt it.

SourPatchKids
12-11-2012, 03:16 AM
Illinois vs Norfolk St. should be good.

SourPatchKids
12-12-2012, 12:29 AM
If Illinois can stay undefeated until The New Year rolls around it will be pretty impressive.

IGotACoolStory
12-13-2012, 04:06 PM
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/college-basketball/news/20121213/big-east-basketball/?sct=hp_t2_a2&eref=sihp

Apparently the catholic schools:

St Johns
Georgetown
Marquette
Providence
Villanova
Seton Hall
DePaul

are leaving the Big East for a new conference.

They're attempting to create a basketball driven league. Football drives the money bus, but those schools get little money from football anyway. It's a pretty smart idea to capitalize on a market everyone is ignoring, all while utilizing the strength of their athletic department.

kNicKz
12-13-2012, 04:40 PM
It's looking worse and worse for schools like Connecticut and Cincinnati

:facepalm

ukfan22
12-13-2012, 06:49 PM
Apparently the catholic schools:

St Johns
Georgetown
Marquette
Providence
Villanova
Seton Hall
DePaul

are leaving the Big East for a new conference.

They're attempting to create a basketball driven league. Football drives the money bus, but those schools get little money from football anyway. It's a pretty smart idea to capitalize on a market everyone is ignoring, all while utilizing the strength of their athletic department.

If they can get the A-10 schools they want, that will be a heck of a conference

KG215
12-14-2012, 02:53 AM
Not gonna lie...I had no idea all of those schools were Catholic schools. I mean I knew St. John's and Providence were, but not the rest.