PDA

View Full Version : Sources: Lakers hire Mike D'Antoni

Mgamer20o0
11-12-2012, 04:18 AM
i hope this works out.

The Los Angeles Lakers have hired Mike D'Antoni as their next head, sources told ESPN.

According to the Los Angeles Times, the deal is for four years.

D'Antoni won't be available until later in the week, after he's medically cleared following knee replacement surgery, a source told ESPN.
http://espn.go.com/los-angeles/nba/story/_/id/8622773/mike-dantoni-hired-next-coach-los-angeles-lakers-sources-say

http://www.nba.com/lakers/releases/121112lakers-hire-mike-dantoni

Lakers spokesman John Black confirmed on Sunday night that the team has signed Mike D'Antoni to a multi-year contract.

The team is expected to have a press conference to announce the deal most likely on Tuesday or Wednesday of the coming week.

According to Black, Lakers owner Dr. Jerry Buss, executive vice president Jim Buss and general manager Mitch Kupchak were unanimous that D'Antoni was the best coach for the team at this time.

Kobe Bryant and Steve Nash both expressed support for the idea of playing for D'Antoni, who was Nash's coach in Phoenix when the point guard won consecutive MVP awards in 2005 and 2006.

kobesabi
11-12-2012, 08:02 AM
sad day :facepalm I hope they know what they are doing...oh well...maybe the end of the ring era.

Looks like no championship this year...oh well, no need to beat dishnetwork to sign the deal with twc

If they fail to achieve a championship this year, the fans will have reasons to hate Jimmy even more and mark the end of Phil of coming back to Lakers AND Howard may not resign with D'Antoni. It looks like Howard was hoping for Phil too based on the post-game interview. This also means other team would try to pick Phil up now that they know he is available. It would funny as hell if Phil get picked up by Clippers later to challenge Lakers or whatever Howard goes to.

L.A. Jazz
11-12-2012, 08:05 AM
i am no fan of Dantoni, but one thing i like is that he will speed up the game. Sessions strengths were vasted by MB last year and now we have Nash and Howard and the Lakers were walking the ball up the court... :banghead:

kobesabi
11-12-2012, 08:39 AM
i am no fan of Dantoni, but one thing i like is that he will speed up the game. Sessions strengths were vasted by MB last year and now we have Nash and Howard and the Lakers were walking the ball up the court... :banghead:
If they waste this year, Howard may not return. Neither will Phil now that Lakers made this decision. Lets hope Phil made decision first instead of Lakers... I guess we will know more details soon. If they don't win this year...they will lose many Lakers fan including PJax fan.

magicmanfan
11-12-2012, 09:46 AM
D'Antoni might be a great choice... Our defence is better than
our offense at this point, and D'Antoni is an offensive guru.

And he knows Nash's skills so well, he'll get the most out of him
when he's back....

:applause: :D

DKLaker
11-12-2012, 12:24 PM
D'Antoni :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :facepalm
WTF is wrong with our Ownership.....did Jerry let Jimmy make the decision again?
And why the rush to sign him? Why not continue negotiating with Phil for the rest of the week.....D'Antoni just had surgery and can't coach for 10 days.
This reminds me of the idiotic rush to sign Mike Brown. And WHY OH WHY 4 year contract.....how did that work last time???
This guy is to Defense what Mike Brown was to Offense :facepalm
Did ownership forget that the Showtime Lakers focused on defense and rebounds in addition to running?
An older Nash and Kobe cannot fly up the court shooting in 7 seconds for a season without fading in the 4th and in the playoffs.
Geez.....has sanity fled this organization?
Ugh.....I don't know who makes worse head coaching decisions.....my Raiders, My Dodgers or my Lakers......yeah, it's that bad. ....UGH!!!!!!!!!
There is a reason D'Antoni has never been to the NBA finals.
I would've given Phil anything he wanted except part ownership....and would've extended the negotiation.......I'm so very pissed!!!

Wow......Just heard Stephen A. Smith rail on the selection of D'Antoni worse than I just did.....he added some big time facts....D'Antoni's teams were always in the bottom 4 in the league in defense,
Skip just called it a disaster of a signing. They said they are sure Jimmy made the decision.
They are blowing up the signing worse than I did.
Apparently Steve Kerr tried to get D'Antoni to coach some defense and he said he'd rather leave than change....so he goes to N.Y and continues to be in the bottom 4 in defense.
Stephen A. just called Jimmy Buss a problem for the team and said his people tell him the same thing.......just as I have been telling everyone.

DKLaker
11-12-2012, 01:48 PM
Stephen A. Smith on D'Antoni signing;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hM8SHzQ6Q6A

This is the one without Skip...but still just as harsh and true.

ZenMaster
11-12-2012, 02:27 PM
Wow......Just heard Stephen A. Smith rail on the selection of D'Antoni worse than I just did.....he added some big time facts....D'Antoni's teams were always in the bottom 4 in the league in defense,

He's just spewing shit, that is something he made up.

DKLaker
11-12-2012, 02:29 PM
D'Antoni said he didn't want anyone to post up because it clogs the lane, this is why Amare never learned any post up moves, he said this is why he went to learn post moves and defense from Hakeem.......we have Dwight.....why did we hire this guy :facepalm :banghead:
This is going to end badly!!!!!

DKLaker
11-12-2012, 02:40 PM
He's just spewing shit, that is something he made up.

So....he made up facts that are well known throughout the NBA and are very easy to look up???? Uh.....sure :facepalm :facepalm :facepalm

lakerfreak
11-12-2012, 02:50 PM
Really excited about this move. Can't comment now. I'm driving. You'll hear my analysis tonight when I return. Try not to start a riot before I Grr back dk okay? :)

*from my android*

DKLaker
11-12-2012, 03:02 PM
Really excited about this move. Can't comment now. I'm driving. You'll hear my analysis tonight when I return. Try not to start a riot before I Grr back dk okay? :)

*from my android*

Oh boy.....I can't wait to hear this :rolleyes:

:oldlol:

The team will at least be exciting.....but that's as far as it goes.

Jam.22_
11-12-2012, 03:32 PM
Nash is going to have a field day with D’Antoni as coach, so I'm pretty optimistic about that since he was struggling before he got injured. If the Lakers can show they can play D, then this might work. Offense will take care of itself. Not my first choice but I'll reserve my judgement.

"Mike D'Antoni expected to reach out to fellow USA assistant Nate McMillan as potential defensive assistant, league source tells"

Get it DONE.

TryToBeUnbias
11-12-2012, 03:47 PM
I'm hoping Nate is signed.

mr sax
11-12-2012, 03:56 PM
I can just imagine what Phil Jackson said:

"I want 10 million a year and I want to coach all out of town games from my couch. I'll call my assistant coaches on my cell phone and tell them what to do." hahaha

The biggest downside of this hire is that my buddy DK is going to gripe, whine and bitch about it the entire season! In DK's words:

:banghead:

hahahahahaha Just joking DK.

I'm leaving town tomorrow until Xmas so I won't be able to check in as often. DK, I suspect upon hearing this news that you will be saddened but do try and get along without me. Have a great Thanksgiving guys!

Lakers_Kobe_Fan
11-12-2012, 04:25 PM
I think i am ok with the Mike D'Antoni signing.

Phil reached and thought the lakers were freaking needy to go to him and Dr Buss B1tch slapped him. I trust Dr Jerry Buss, Mitch & Jim buss(after this summer) more now then last year

Phil Wanted:
Stake in ownership or 10-12 mil
wanted to coach only home games
wanted to have a say in personal moves the lakers were making.

basically Phil wanted Jim/Mitch to hand him the key to the franchise. Which i say Fcuk NO.

Mike D is talking about bringing Nate Mcmilan as his top assistant and planning on retaining Chuck P & Steve Clifford. Which is a good idea

I would like to see this before giving my opinion on this.

I trust in Jerry Buss.

DKLaker
11-12-2012, 05:30 PM
I can just imagine what Phil Jackson said:

"I want 10 million a year and I want to coach all out of town games from my couch. I'll call my assistant coaches on my cell phone and tell them what to do." hahaha

The biggest downside of this hire is that my buddy DK is going to gripe, whine and bitch about it the entire season! In DK's words:

:banghead:

hahahahahaha Just joking DK.

I'm leaving town tomorrow until Xmas so I won't be able to check in as often. DK, I suspect upon hearing this news that you will be saddened but do try and get along without me. Have a great Thanksgiving guys!

LMAO...that was pretty funny :roll: :roll: :roll:
See, I like this Mr.Sax much better :D

Have a very Happy Thanksgiving :cheers:

DKLaker
11-12-2012, 05:57 PM
I think i am ok with the Mike D'Antoni signing.

Phil reached and thought the lakers were freaking needy to go to him and Dr Buss B1tch slapped him. I trust Dr Jerry Buss, Mitch & Jim buss(after this summer) more now then last year

Phil Wanted:
Stake in ownership or 10-12 mil
wanted to coach only home games
wanted to have a say in personal moves the lakers were making.

basically Phil wanted Jim/Mitch to hand him the key to the franchise. Which i say Fcuk NO.

Mike D is talking about bringing Nate Mcmilan as his top assistant and planning on retaining Chuck P & Steve Clifford. Which is a good idea

I would like to see this before giving my opinion on this.

I trust in Jerry Buss.

I get where you are coming from HOWEVER......
How much money has Phil meant to this Lakers franchise?

Stake in ownership....I would say no to anything above 1% at the point that we have pushed all our money into the center of the table.....what's the big deal to pay him even up to $20 million a year? Is he less valuable than Kobe?
Pau is getting $18 million this year....is HE worth more than PJ :no: :no: :no:
Better yet, coaches salary doesn't count against the cap.....so Pau is really costing us $36 million....and we don''t want to pay Phil????? :facepalm

Phil not coaching the road games? I don't think it makes much difference as long as the assistant knows the system and Phil was coaching all Playoff games. Phil is 1000000000 x > 'Antoni ( No D :oldlol: ).
This is like turning down sleeping with Kim Kardashian for 6 months out of a year in favor of sleeping with Rosie O'Donnell for the full year :oldlol:

Having a say in team personnel.....is this really a problem? He has always had a say in his own way, he didn't like rookies so we drafted and he wouldn't play them RIGHT. So he had control in his own way.....what is the real problem here? He want's to get players he can actually use???? Do you think he would seek out Smush Parker and Kwame to come back in trades??? What's the worst that could happen??? Ok.....so he'd bring back Luke, that's just 1 guy.

I trust in Jerry Buss too.....but Jerry didn't do this...this is clearly a Jimmy move.

What I see happening is that within 2 years 'Antoni will be out and we will be paying him $$$ for nothing just like we are paying the remainder of Brown's contract EXACTLY AS I SAID WE WOULD from the day we signed him.

3 years from now we will be paying 'Antoni, Brown and the next coach who comes in.....how is that cost effective???

I mean damn, there were good viable candidates out there who would've better fit this team.....hell, Dunleavy would have even been better.
At least 'Antoni does know basketball and is not an idiot...but his ideas will never be successful in the NBA and will most likely lead to a Dwight exit after the season. We will not catch Boston in titles....not anytime soon.

I have loved my Lakers since 1960 and this is the biggest fiasco since the Shaq trade.....maybe biggest ever considering how freaking much talent we have.

I took a whole ton of heat when I said this about Mike Brown, I expect to take even more heat about this now.......but just like with Brown you will all realize that I am right........but hey, at least the team should be exciting.

dd24
11-12-2012, 06:03 PM
I was really bummed to read this new this morning. I really would've liked McMillan to be the head coach and for D'antoni to be the assistant, but it looks like it will be the other way around. If we land McMillan too, it won't be so bad. I just don't see what the Lakers management is thinking when they are hiring coaches.

L.A. Jazz
11-12-2012, 06:09 PM
the main fault was to hire MB so unnecessary fast! and now again the same hurry. i dont understand it.

dd24
11-12-2012, 06:09 PM
This is interesting....

Peter Vecsey: How surprised were Jackson's people? Agent Brian Musberger was on Chicago-2-LA plane 2 negotiate w Lakers re contract when D'A was hired. Twitter @PeterVecsey1

ZenMaster
11-12-2012, 06:14 PM
So....he made up facts that are well known throughout the NBA and are very easy to look up???? Uh.....sure :facepalm :facepalm :facepalm

Yes he did.

I just looked up one example and in 07 Phoenix was ranked 13th in defense...

http://www.basketball-reference.com/leagues/NBA_2007.html

DKLaker
11-12-2012, 06:19 PM
the main fault was to hire MB so unnecessary fast! and now again the same hurry. i dont understand it.

This was rash, impulsive Jimmy Buss at work once again :banghead:

kobesabi
11-12-2012, 06:20 PM
This is interesting....
I saw that this morning too on LA Times and another where Phil was stunned.

Many Lakers fan are stunned.

They didn't even bother negotiate to curb Phil's requests. This is still about anti-Phil.

If this turn out to be another failure experiment and wasted this year or next. Definitely Phil won't be coming back to answer them.

If I were Phil now, I probably take other team offers then Lakers won't be having the last laugh and D'Antoni won't be having smooth sailing either.

I think this experiment will fail again.
7 seconds or less won't work. It didn't work with Carmelo. It probably won't with Kobe too.
If Kobe became Carmelo, what can DAntoni do? Quit again?
Kobe and Nash don't have fresh legs anymore. Even if they could, they probably won't have much energy near the end of the game.
7 seconds or less system could get Nash hurt 7 seconds or less.
Dwight Defensive strength will probably get rusty overtime
You don't have that many sharp shooter on the current roster
DAntoni couldn't handle 1 mega stars, how can he handle 3 more?
DAntoni himself is sensitive to criticism when he should be neutral to it.
If this whole thing fail, they will lose a number amount of Lakers fans.

DKLaker
11-12-2012, 06:25 PM
Yes he did.

Look at the opponent PPG
Anyone who knows the game can tell you that his teams don't play Defense.....even owners, gm's and players who were involved with him have stated this........apparently you missed all this......it's just like arguing that water is wet :facepalm

DKLaker
11-12-2012, 06:27 PM
I saw that this morning too on LA Times and another where Phil was stunned.

Many Lakers fan are stunned.

They didn't even bother negotiate to curb Phil's requests. This is still about anti-Phil.

If this turn out to be another failure experiment and wasted this year or next. Definitely Phil won't be coming back to answer them.

If I were Phil now, I probably take other team offers then Lakers won't be having the last laugh and D'Antoni won't be having smooth sailing either.

I think this experiment will fail again.
7 seconds or less won't work. It didn't work with Carmelo. It probably won't with Kobe too.
Kobe and Nash don't have fresh legs anymore. Even if they could, they probably won't have much energy near the end of the game.
7 seconds or less system could get Nash hurt 7 seconds or less.
Dwight Defensive strength will probably get rusty overtime
You don't have that many sharp shooter on the current roster

Oh you right......and these guys will find out soon enough.

ZenMaster
11-12-2012, 06:27 PM
Look at the opponent PPG
Anyone who knows the game can tell you that his teams don't play Defense.....even owners, gm's and players who were involved with him have stated this........apparently you missed all this......it's just like arguing that water is wet :facepalm

Defensive rating is more important than opponent ppg..

And even in opponent ppg they weren't 4th last..

DKLaker
11-12-2012, 06:36 PM
Defensive rating is more important than opponent ppg..

And even in opponent ppg they weren't 4th last..

Doesn't matter what you say, this crap is going to fail just as Mike Brown did, I was 100% correct then and have not an ounce of doubt that I am correct again......everyone knows his system will never work in the NBA playoffs.
The playoffs are about defense, rebounding and halfcourt offense......'Antoni is terrible at all of these.

daily
11-12-2012, 06:37 PM
Yes he did.

Stephen A was using PPG which is wrong.
The Suns played at a high pace leading to more possessions per game so scoring would naturally go up on both ends of the court. You have to adjust PPG by possessions to get a true rating which has the Suns at the 13th spot you linked to.

It is Stephen A Smith after all, never one to be shy about bending the facts to make his points. Arguing with Skip Bayless overtime will do that to you

ZenMaster
11-12-2012, 06:39 PM
Doesn't matter what you say, this crap is going to fail just as Mike Brown did, I was 100% correct then and have not an ounce of doubt that I am correct again......everyone knows his system will never work in the NBA playoffs.
The playoffs are about defense, rebounding and halfcourt offense......'Antoni is terrible at all of these.

Maybe so, but there is a point to calling you and Stephen A out when trying to sell people on stats that are simply not true.

DKLaker
11-12-2012, 07:33 PM
Maybe so, but there is a point to calling you and Stephen A out when trying to sell people on stats that are simply not true.

I am saying that the stats ARE true....but as with all stats, they do not tell the whole story.....this is why you have to watch the game and UNDERSTAND what you are seeing other than the obvious........this comes with experience.

We could go back and forth on this but the main point is that he doesn't believe in defense and runs a system that doesn't work in the NBA beyond the early rounds of the playoffs....and that is with personnel that fits his system.....we don't have players to fit his system.......too old, not enough shooters.

I'll say this, just as I did about Brown....I HOPE I am completely wrong and we win multiple championships....I would very happily take all the laughs and critique from you guys.....unfortunately I know better.

ZenMaster
11-12-2012, 07:53 PM
I am saying that the stats ARE true....but as with all stats, they do not tell the whole story.....this is why you have to watch the game and UNDERSTAND what you are seeing other than the obvious........this comes with experience.

We could go back and forth on this but the main point is that he doesn't believe in defense and runs a system that doesn't work in the NBA beyond the early rounds of the playoffs....and that is with personnel that fits his system.....we don't have players to fit his system.......too old, not enough shooters.

I'll say this, just as I did about Brown....I HOPE I am completely wrong and we win multiple championships....I would very happily take all the laughs and critique from you guys.....unfortunately I know better.

I wasn't saying one thing or another, just that you are lying about the stats.

DKLaker
11-12-2012, 08:00 PM
I wasn't saying one thing or another, just that you are lying about the stats.

Argumentative person aren't you :oldlol: Nobody was lying about the stats at all and I am not going to waste my time over such drivel, nor engage on meaningless name calling with someone who doesn't get the point.
Think what you want to think, learn what you want to learn.....or not I really don't care. Now if you actually have some basketball knowledge to share I will certainly listen :oldlol:

Lakers_Kobe_Fan
11-12-2012, 08:02 PM
Mike D is much much better then potato head.

I think I will have to watch couple of games with Mike D to have an opinion of me.

The Suns were unlucky team...they could have won 1 if things went their way ...like they did for the mavs....

we shall see...

honestly its easy to say..give him part of the ownership/let him coach only homes games/ have him say on personals moves...but i personally dont like it...

Phil wanted Rush over Prince
May over bynum

I am still pissed but I totally understand where the lakers came from.

Freaking if spolstra can win championship....so can Mike D....

its players league and always will be....nash, Kobe having history with mike D also helps

DKLaker
11-12-2012, 08:05 PM
Mike D is much much better then potato head.

I think I will have to watch couple of games with Mike D to have an opinion of me.

The Suns were unlucky team...they could have won 1 if things went their way ...like they did for the mavs....

we shall see...

honestly its easy to say..give him part of the ownership/let him coach only homes games/ have him say on personals moves...but i personally dont like it...

Phil wanted Rush over Prince
May over bynum

I am still pissed but I totally understand where the lakers came from.

Freaking if spolstra can win championship....so can Mike D....

its players league and always will be....nash, Kobe having history with mike D also helps

Coach Spo is not a good coach.....I agree BUT, at least he understands that you have to play both offense and defense....not just 1 of those. That is why 'Antoni is dangerous.

Lakers_Kobe_Fan
11-12-2012, 08:34 PM
Coach Spo is not a good coach.....I agree BUT, at least he understands that you have to play both offense and defense....not just 1 of those. That is why 'Antoni is dangerous.

hmm....there are already rumors that Nate McMilan will be coming along as a lead Assistant that will help

Also Steve Clifford(SVG asked MikeD to keep him around) & Chuck Persons might hang around too so we will see...

Media is fcuking clueless as we are...they are just like headless chicken's mutha fcuka's dont know anything....keep on saying...Phil, Phil & Phil

1 thing i learnt is take everything related to "Source" with a bag of salt

ZenMaster
11-12-2012, 08:57 PM
Argumentative person aren't you :oldlol: Nobody was lying about the stats at all and I am not going to waste my time over such drivel, nor engage on meaningless name calling with someone who doesn't get the point.
Think what you want to think, learn what you want to learn.....or not I really don't care. Now if you actually have some basketball knowledge to share I will certainly listen :oldlol:

Saying nobody is lying about the stats is very thick skinned, I do get your point though.

Personally I think it can go either way.

IMO people who think the Lakers will play nearly as fast as his Phoenix teams did are wrong, he's toned it down since and it's not SSOL anymore, he's toned down the pace accordingly to his personnel and last year Knicks where the 4th slowest team in the regular season. A lot of the games he's being judged on are 5-6 years old, most coaches can develop quite a bit in that time frame hell I'm quite a better coach today than I was just 1 year ago.

I think it's a good sign he's looking into having someone else handling the defense for the most part, reports are one Mcmillan who's team have been pretty good in transition D which is a key for us.
Assistant coaches are some of the most underrated people in basketball, all responsibility is on the head coach but these guys spend just as much or more time with the players, having a strong figure with HC experience like Mcmillan is nice.

I think D'Antoni has pretty good half court offense, good sets that offer good chance for ball movement and spacing along with the pickn'roll he's good at teaching.

If we don't have the shooters we don't have the shooters, all the best playoff teams have good shooters and the last two champions just straight up bombed from distance even though they said you could never win from the 3pt line. We won't win the title on Dwight ISO post ups if he only shoots 50-60% from the line, players and the ball need to be moving and attacking.
D'Antonis system offers a good chance for shooters to be succesful, if Meeks, Jamison, Blake and Artest are going to clonk 3's they didn't other places in their career we aren't going to win no matter what sytem we run, not in 2013 NBA.
Artest haven't really shot well since his thumb injury but Meeks and Blake were very good 3pt shooters on other teams, Jamison has been okay as well, these guys have to pick up their shit on open shots because they will be getting them, throw Gasol in that mix he's also been missing too many open jumpers.

Mgamer20o0
11-12-2012, 09:41 PM
i dont get why they gave him a 4 year deal.... why not team options for the last 2 years like players get.

as for phil i am not sure of all the demands. maybe it was not to go to back to back road games i dont see how he could he ask to skip all of them. as for money give him a kicker for how deep into the play offs he gets. wins the champ give him the 12-15m it would have been worth it.

bladefd
11-12-2012, 09:42 PM
Media is fcuking clueless as we are...they are just like headless chicken's mutha fcuka's dont know anything....keep on saying...Phil, Phil & Phil

1 thing i learnt is take everything related to "Source" with a bag of salt

I think you might have a point there. If you watch espn, look at how nuts they are going over this. If somebody had no idea who Phil or D'Antoni or nba was, they would think that there is some huge major controversy going. It's obvious that they want to absolutely hype this up and juice it out..

Gotten to the point that some idiots in media manufactured this whole "Phil didn't want to coach any of the away games" and "wanted to control every Laker roster move" and "wanted part ownership" along with other garbage.... where the hell did all that come from?
Phil said they didn't even talk about contract specifics in the Jimmy/Mitch/Phil meeting on Saturday morning. Kurt Rambis also said neither of it is true and was never discussed. Phil's agent said that he went to LA on Sunday evening to negotiate the contract and said that neither of those two things were even talked about. The Lakers did NOT refute anything that Phil/Rambis/his agent said. If they were lying, wouldn't lakers have refuted it by now?

It's obviously somebody in the media made up that nonsense and they all started using it. What a joke.

DKLaker
11-12-2012, 09:46 PM
Saying nobody is lying about the stats is very thick skinned, I do get your point though.

Personally I think it can go either way.

IMO people who think the Lakers will play nearly as fast as his Phoenix teams did are wrong, he's toned it down since and it's not SSOL anymore, he's toned down the pace accordingly to his personnel and last year Knicks where the 4th slowest team in the regular season. A lot of the games he's being judged on are 5-6 years old, most coaches can develop quite a bit in that time frame hell I'm quite a better coach today than I was just 1 year ago.

I think it's a good sign he's looking into having someone else handling the defense for the most part, reports are one Mcmillan who's team have been pretty good in transition D which is a key for us.
Assistant coaches are some of the most underrated people in basketball, all responsibility is on the head coach but these guys spend just as much or more time with the players, having a strong figure with HC experience like Mcmillan is nice.

I think D'Antoni has pretty good half court offense, good sets that offer good chance for ball movement and spacing along with the pickn'roll he's good at teaching.

If we don't have the shooters we don't have the shooters, all the best playoff teams have good shooters and the last two champions just straight up bombed from distance even though they said you could never win from the 3pt line. We won't win the title on Dwight ISO post ups if he only shoots 50-60% from the line, players and the ball need to be moving and attacking.
D'Antonis system offers a good chance for shooters to be succesful, if Meeks, Jamison, Blake and Artest are going to clonk 3's they didn't other places in their career we aren't going to win no matter what sytem we run, not in 2013 NBA.
Artest haven't really shot well since his thumb injury but Meeks and Blake were very good 3pt shooters on other teams, Jamison has been okay as well, these guys have to pick up their shit on open shots because they will be getting them, throw Gasol in that mix he's also been missing too many open jumpers.

Hey, Hey!!!!! FINALLY, real basketball conversation....quite good too!!!! :cheers:
I was starting to think you didn't have it in you :oldlol:

Mike 'Antoni (No D) has been coaching a very long time....not just in the NBA, those are the type of guys who don't change their system...if he didn't really change all that time he is not going to change now.....sure to your point maybe he won't try to run as fast...because they can't....but he will definitely not have a defense that is worth a crap.....I don't care WHO the assistant coaches are, it's the head coach who tells them what to do....he, just like Brown doesn't listen to his assistants....one reason Brown lost most of his during the offseason. He has had players, owners, GMs beg him to work on defense and he refused, I cannot see him suddenly changing now.

Last year a ton of guys boasted about how Brown's assistant coaches were so good and were going to do this and that.......oh this guy is a defensive expert and that guy is a great offensive guy......and what happened.....NOTHING. i just flat out don't trust that this guy gets it, I see a guy who wants to prove everyone wrong....that his shoot quick no D CAN win a championship....this is how he wants to leave his mark on the game.
Other than him either coaching great D or at least saying that he is going to commit to defense and rebounding I will not change my views.
It's like someone thinking Phil Jackson would play rookies big minutes :oldlol:

Again, just as I said about Brown....I HOPE TO BE PROVEN WRONG :cheers:

ZenMaster
11-12-2012, 10:43 PM
Hey, Hey!!!!! FINALLY, real basketball conversation....quite good too!!!! :cheers:
I was starting to think you didn't have it in you :oldlol:

Mike 'Antoni (No D) has been coaching a very long time....not just in the NBA, those are the type of guys who don't change their system...if he didn't really change all that time he is not going to change now.....sure to your point maybe he won't try to run as fast...because they can't....but he will definitely not have a defense that is worth a crap.....I don't care WHO the assistant coaches are, it's the head coach who tells them what to do....he, just like Brown doesn't listen to his assistants....one reason Brown lost most of his during the offseason. He has had players, owners, GMs beg him to work on defense and he refused, I cannot see him suddenly changing now.

Last year a ton of guys boasted about how Brown's assistant coaches were so good and were going to do this and that.......oh this guy is a defensive expert and that guy is a great offensive guy......and what happened.....NOTHING. i just flat out don't trust that this guy gets it, I see a guy who wants to prove everyone wrong....that his shoot quick no D CAN win a championship....this is how he wants to leave his mark on the game.
Other than him either coaching great D or at least saying that he is going to commit to defense and rebounding I will not change my views.
It's like someone thinking Phil Jackson would play rookies big minutes :oldlol:

Again, just as I said about Brown....I HOPE TO BE PROVEN WRONG :cheers:

He agreed to having Woodson hired in New York and is now looking at Mcmillan, to me that sends a message he's willing to outsource the defense.
Chuck Pearson is also rumored to be staying, he was in charge of the defense the last year Phil was coaching.

It's also fair to consider what we can actually expect from this group of players defensively. If we can hit the open shots at a good rate I think this team should be 1st or 2nd offensively. But defensively what do you expect?
I know we have Dwight but people are old and just doesn't move as fast as they used to.
Last year under Brown the defensive specalist we had the 17th(!!!) ranked defense in the league and this year so far we're 14th.
So what can we realistically expect from these players?
I think if we can have a perhaps top 7-10 ranked defense and number 1 or 2 offense it would be a pretty strong combination, and I think there's a better chance of achieving that for this group of players than to say they have to form into an elite defensive unit when the potential isn't really there.
And just to clarify when I talk about offensive and defensive rankings I'm talking about effectiveness per possesion and not points total.

This team need needs good offense to have good defense, because when we miss shots and make turnovers(Lakers have an insane ammount of turnovers so far) the other team attacks in our weakest spot transition defense.

I think 'Antoni can get the optimal out of this group offensively, he got the same point guard albeit older, the best big man in the league and one of the best wing players ever, they will do great, take responsibility away from Artest so he doesn't have to make hard decisions, he's looked horrible in both the princeton and triangle because his mind can't process the decisions fast enough, also he can't dribble and have a hard time shooting, shit...he's tough to watch these days. I bet if Meeks can shoot like he did last year at 37 or so % he will get more time because he'll open things up considerably.

I could be wrong about all of this and we fail miserably, but I'm just trying to look at the possibilites from a positive point of view, it can't all be negative thoughts :cheers:

VegasLakerFan
11-12-2012, 11:25 PM
I'm curious to see how Jamison will fit into all of this. He seemed a bit lost under Brown while playing at the 3( :facepalm ). Could he be an option to open things up as a 4 along side Howard or when/if Pau ever plays center?

DKLaker
11-13-2012, 12:40 AM
I think you might have a point there. If you watch espn, look at how nuts they are going over this. If somebody had no idea who Phil or D'Antoni or nba was, they would think that there is some huge major controversy going. It's obvious that they want to absolutely hype this up and juice it out..

Gotten to the point that some idiots in media manufactured this whole "Phil didn't want to coach any of the away games" and "wanted to control every Laker roster move" and "wanted part ownership" along with other garbage.... where the hell did all that come from?
Phil said they didn't even talk about contract specifics in the Jimmy/Mitch/Phil meeting on Saturday morning. Kurt Rambis also said neither of it is true and was never discussed. Phil's agent said that he went to LA on Sunday evening to negotiate the contract and said that neither of those two things were even talked about. The Lakers did NOT refute anything that Phil/Rambis/his agent said. If they were lying, wouldn't lakers have refuted it by now?

It's obviously somebody in the media made up that nonsense and they all started using it. What a joke.

Phil DID ask for this on his last contract with the Lakers, that is where this came from a fact that was well known and I commented on it a couple months ago in a thread, it was assumed that he would ask for the same thing. It was not made up out of thin air.
Now did he ask for this again.......probably so but not to the point that negotiations should've been cut off. My guess is that Jimmy got drunk and/or pissed off at Jeanie and did the deal in the middle of the night.....why else would he do it at that hour, it's not like anyone was after 'Antoni.
It's the only thing that makes sense because the coach can't even be there for over a week :banghead: :banghead: :banghead:

DKLaker
11-13-2012, 12:53 AM
He agreed to having Woodson hired in New York and is now looking at Mcmillan, to me that sends a message he's willing to outsource the defense.
Chuck Pearson is also rumored to be staying, he was in charge of the defense the last year Phil was coaching.

It's also fair to consider what we can actually expect from this group of players defensively. If we can hit the open shots at a good rate I think this team should be 1st or 2nd offensively. But defensively what do you expect?
I know we have Dwight but people are old and just doesn't move as fast as they used to.
Last year under Brown the defensive specalist we had the 17th(!!!) ranked defense in the league and this year so far we're 14th.
So what can we realistically expect from these players?
I think if we can have a perhaps top 7-10 ranked defense and number 1 or 2 offense it would be a pretty strong combination, and I think there's a better chance of achieving that for this group of players than to say they have to form into an elite defensive unit when the potential isn't really there.
And just to clarify when I talk about offensive and defensive rankings I'm talking about effectiveness per possesion and not points total.

This team need needs good offense to have good defense, because when we miss shots and make turnovers(Lakers have an insane ammount of turnovers so far) the other team attacks in our weakest spot transition defense.

I think 'Antoni can get the optimal out of this group offensively, he got the same point guard albeit older, the best big man in the league and one of the best wing players ever, they will do great, take responsibility away from Artest so he doesn't have to make hard decisions, he's looked horrible in both the princeton and triangle because his mind can't process the decisions fast enough, also he can't dribble and have a hard time shooting, shit...he's tough to watch these days. I bet if Meeks can shoot like he did last year at 37 or so % he will get more time because he'll open things up considerably.

I could be wrong about all of this and we fail miserably, but I'm just trying to look at the possibilites from a positive point of view, it can't all be negative thoughts :cheers:

Chuck Person will never help anyone's defense, it was a joke that Phil let him try. The guy was an incredible shooter but never played an ounce of defense in his entire career......that was like hiring Shaq to teach free throw shooting :facepalm Brown actuall got that one thing right this year, he had Person working on Dwight's free throw shooting, I always said a legendary shooter like Person should be their shooting coach....nothing else. I'd be happy with a top 10 in defense....I do think we have the potential to be top 5......with the right HEAD COACH, which we don't have.

Good offense to have good defense......yes, that does help but it doesn't do it all, you still have to have aggressive play, strong, active rebounding and great rotations. 'Antoni doesn't give practice time for defense.

Keep your positive attitude :cheers: I would love to join you but after enduring the idiot coach Mike Brown, this is the last guy I wanted coaching the Lakers, I'm burned out on bad coaching at this point.

Lakers_Kobe_Fan
11-13-2012, 01:21 AM
Chuck Person will never help anyone's defense, it was a joke that Phil let him try. The guy was an incredible shooter but never played an ounce of defense in his entire career......that was like hiring Shaq to teach free throw shooting :facepalm Brown actuall got that one thing right this year, he had Person working on Dwight's free throw shooting, I always said a legendary shooter like Person should be their shooting coach....nothing else. I'd be happy with a top 10 in defense....I do think we have the potential to be top 5......with the right HEAD COACH, which we don't have.

Good offense to have good defense......yes, that does help but it doesn't do it all, you still have to have aggressive play, strong, active rebounding and great rotations. 'Antoni doesn't give practice time for defense.

Keep your positive attitude :cheers: I would love to join you but after enduring the idiot coach Mike Brown, this is the last guy I wanted coaching the Lakers, I'm burned out on bad coaching at this point.

top 5 is reaching. Even with tom thibedou i am not sure about that.

I would give it a chance honestly. you never know with hiring of Nate M, Steve Clifford and C Person( the same chuck who jackson once trusted with his own offense)

People change over experience. He hired woodson for defense in NYK.

Not everybody is served on silver plate like Phil who had MJ/Pippen & Kobe/Shaq.

look at pop...what has he won since 2007? we can as might well say the old man has lost it...good team in regular season but gets bounced in playoffs pretty badly....

I am going to have a open mind about this and we will see

daily
11-13-2012, 01:56 AM
I am going to have a open mind about this and we will see Me too, repped. I think this will be fun. I bet half the people crying the Lakers didn't hire Jackson use to bitch and moan about Phil when he was head coach. I got sick of watching them underachieve that final season, no motivation no effort, swept by the Mavs while I yelled at Phil to get off his ass and coach somebody, anybody. Rookies never getting burn.

Time for some new blood a new way of Lakers basketball.

Mgamer20o0
11-13-2012, 05:36 AM
Phil DID ask for this on his last contract with the Lakers, that is where this came from a fact that was well known and I commented on it a couple months ago in a thread, it was assumed that he would ask for the same thing. It was not made up out of thin air.
Now did he ask for this again.......probably so but not to the point that negotiations should've been cut off. My guess is that Jimmy got drunk and/or pissed off at Jeanie and did the deal in the middle of the night.....why else would he do it at that hour, it's not like anyone was after 'Antoni.
It's the only thing that makes sense because the coach can't even be there for over a week :banghead: :banghead: :banghead:
something i said in the other thread.... it kind of seems like a rush to judgement for coach. they won a couple games it didnt have to be that exact min. if they gave phil until monday i dont get why not wait let that pass. i am not even trying to say it was a wrong move just wrong timing. same thing when brown got hired they were talking to several people. i believe there was others that were going to come in to interview. brown comes in and basically walks out with the job. it seems as if there is no thought process any more. no longer calculated but rash decisions.

L.A. Jazz
11-13-2012, 12:19 PM
have the Lakers ever changed their coach twice in one season?

:rolleyes: :wtf: :oldlol:

DKLaker
11-13-2012, 12:44 PM
have the Lakers ever changed their coach twice in one season?

:rolleyes: :wtf: :oldlol:

Oh....and it's not done yet.....just wait.

DKLaker
11-13-2012, 12:47 PM
something i said in the other thread.... it kind of seems like a rush to judgement for coach. they won a couple games it didnt have to be that exact min. if they gave phil until monday i dont get why not wait let that pass. i am not even trying to say it was a wrong move just wrong timing. same thing when brown got hired they were talking to several people. i believe there was others that were going to come in to interview. brown comes in and basically walks out with the job. it seems as if there is no thought process any more. no longer calculated but rash decisions.

Jimmy is a spoiled brat, always has been, this is typical for him.
None of this would've happened if Jerry or Jeanie was fully in control.

dd24
11-13-2012, 01:39 PM
Oh....and it's not done yet.....just wait.

I would highly doubt that D'antoni doesn't make it through the season. He typically puts up a good regular season record, so I don't think the red flags will even really be noticed until the playoffs. Plus the Lakers aren't going to want to pay 3 head coaches at the same time. They're already paying Brown, if they fired D'antoni they would need to pay him too, plus whoever else they would hire. I think unfortunately we're stuck with D'antoni for the long haul.....

Lakers_Kobe_Fan
11-13-2012, 02:53 PM
Me too, repped. I think this will be fun. I bet half the people crying the Lakers didn't hire Jackson use to bitch and moan about Phil when he was head coach. I got sick of watching them underachieve that final season, no motivation no effort, swept by the Mavs while I yelled at Phil to get off his ass and coach somebody, anybody. Rookies never getting burn.

thanks Dude.

DKLaker
11-13-2012, 03:01 PM
I would highly doubt that D'antoni doesn't make it through the season. He typically puts up a good regular season record, so I don't think the red flags will even really be noticed until the playoffs. Plus the Lakers aren't going to want to pay 3 head coaches at the same time. They're already paying Brown, if they fired D'antoni they would need to pay him too, plus whoever else they would hire. I think unfortunately we're stuck with D'antoni for the long haul.....

Oh.....I didn't mean THIS season, I meant next season.
If it doesn't go well and the guys don't like his coaching + Dwight says change coaches or I'm gone......bye bye Mike part 2 :oldlol:

DKLaker
11-13-2012, 03:04 PM
Me too, repped. I think this will be fun. I bet half the people crying the Lakers didn't hire Jackson use to bitch and moan about Phil when he was head coach. I got sick of watching them underachieve that final season, no motivation no effort, swept by the Mavs while I yelled at Phil to get off his ass and coach somebody, anybody. Rookies never getting burn.

The problem I have is NOT with the fact they didn't sign Phil, it was with them hiring the worst available coach for the job.....even he was shocked.
In addition the unprofessional procedure speaks volumes about Jimmy Buss.
I wanted Adelman at the time they screwed up and signed Brown....not Phil.

dd24
11-13-2012, 03:26 PM
Oh.....I didn't mean THIS season, I meant next season.
If it doesn't go well and the guys don't like his coaching + Dwight says change coaches or I'm gone......bye bye Mike part 2 :oldlol:

I could see a possible change midway through next season. They would need to do very bad in the playoffs this year and start out slow next year though. I'm not certain we'll see that happen yet. To me the one thing that might help this thing work is if McMillan comes on board and D'Antoni lets him handle all of the defensive work. What that also does though is makes it easier for the Lakers to fire D'Antoni if it doesn't work and then let McMillan take things over for the rest of the season. Kind of like what happened in NY with Woodson. I think McMillan would do a great job as head coach of this team. At least having him on as an assistant helps out and he & D'Antoni have worked together before. D'Antoni needs to get over his ego. Hopefully he learned that he needs to make his system work around the talent he has rather than making his players try to conform to his system.

DKLaker
11-13-2012, 03:38 PM
I could see a possible change midway through next season. They would need to do very bad in the playoffs this year and start out slow next year though. I'm not certain we'll see that happen yet. To me the one thing that might help this thing work is if McMillan comes on board and D'Antoni lets him handle all of the defensive work. What that also does though is makes it easier for the Lakers to fire D'Antoni if it doesn't work and then let McMillan take things over for the rest of the season. Kind of like what happened in NY with Woodson. I think McMillan would do a great job as head coach of this team. At least having him on as an assistant helps out and he & D'Antoni have worked together before. D'Antoni needs to get over his ego. Hopefully he learned that he needs to make his system work around the talent he has rather than making his players try to conform to his system.

Hmmm....that is interesting.....having McMillan take over as head coach, it may work out. :applause:

LA Lakers
11-13-2012, 04:16 PM
How disrespectful and dismissive some of the people on this "fan" forum are of Phil. Heres a dude that took us to The Promised Land 5 out of 7 times. There should be no argument for D Antoni over Phil from Lakers fans. I didnt even have D Antoni in my personal discussion of prospects. For me it was Phil followed by a very far Jerry Sloan for second. Who cares about exciting? We aint gonna have Showtime cuz Showtime was Magic. We dont have Magic guys. Be real. All I care about is championships and Phil = Championships. Again, 5 out of 7 times to The Finals. Be real. What has D Antoni ultimately done? Just like Brown, another "coach that couldnt."

magicmanfan
11-13-2012, 08:15 PM
.. if McMillan comes on board and D'Antoni lets him handle all of the defensive work. What that also does though is makes it easier for the Lakers to fire D'Antoni if it doesn't work and then let McMillan take things over for the rest of the season.

I think it's too easy to blame D'Antoni before he's given any shot at all....

I do like the idea of having McMillian take care of the defence... I would
have been happy to have him as head coach...

But it might be a combination that works.... D'Antoni knows how to get
Nash MVPs!! He's a smart guy. Let's see if he can create the results
all Lakers fans want especially with this lineup!!

magicmanfan
11-13-2012, 08:18 PM
Hmmm....that is interesting.....having McMillan take over as head coach, it may work out. :applause:

You and I both like Nate McMillian.... but let's see if the combination of
the two (one offense, one defense) can work.

As I said above, D'Antoni helped Nash get 2 MVPs, so he's pretty
knowledgable. I can;t imagine this team not being great on the
defensive end eventually... so D'Antoni is expected to get the offense
humming. Let's give him a shot.
:cheers:

lakerfreak
11-14-2012, 08:02 PM
Okay it took a few days but I am finally here and ready to comment on the hiring of Mike D'antoni, and not the heavily anticipated Phil Jackson.

Before I officially give my opinion, I want to address all my points in bullets:

*Entertaining the return of Phil*

1) Phil Jackson's reported demands, which hadn't begun this season, but even when he was in his last stint with us, we're always going to be rebuked, rebuffed, and rejected by the lakers organization. A big salary is way too much for a coach who wasn't going to coach every single game. He also wanted to bring on Brian Shaw (who is already assisting in IND) and Scottie Pippen. More salaries to add to what they already have to pay for. Although Phil Jackson had come out to say that "He didn't make any of those demands". We never know if this is true. The loser will always come out swinging in his best interest. Lastly, Phil Jackson wanted to take a "few days" to decide whether he "really wanted in" or not. Its a scary thing to come across. What if he was motivated one day, and then not into it the next day? We've seen what an unmotivated Phil can do to a big important game. Losing against the pistons in the finals, he was definitely a factor. Losing against the mavs a couple seasons back...also a slight factor.

2) Jim Buss and Phil don't like each other. It is obvious. It was pointed out by Max yesterday on 710 ESPN, that Jimmy had always been jealous of the success by Phil Jackson. 11 championship rings in the NBA. Enough said. It seemed that by the request of front office decision making, Jimmy felt challenged by phil. I don't know what that situation is. There was no way those two would come back working together. Not now, and not in the future.

3) Now let us say that Phil is hired, and he is the laker coach now. Let's look at the biggest problem that happens here. The triangle offense comes back to town. This offense is similar to the principles of the princeton offense, the reason we fired Mike Brown. It involves equal sharing of all 5 players, renders our HOF point guard in Nash completely useless, and it takes a very long time to master and be comfortable with (at least 2 seasons). Ron Artest never grasped it, and was about to be in school once again with Nash and Dwight who also do not have any experience running this offense (Dwight in high school with Javaris crittenton but thats a completely different level and unrelated to Phil's triangle).
Did we not all agree before that we didn't need a complex offense for the talent level of this team???? We agreed that we just needed Nash to run the show, sharing responsibilities with Kobe. Mike Brown overdid it and it cost him his job. Why should the addition of Phil Jackson to this team, with practically 75% new players, produce any different results? Phil is a great motivator. He brings the best out of his players and they are always playing hard whether they love phil or hate him. That is true.
But this team now has all possible talent, and leadership on the court to win a championship. Do we absolutely need the triangle? Absolutely not.

*What the addition of D'antoni brings*

1) Show time style basketball looks like it can return to LA. Watching all superstars on the team play selflessly, with each one contributing all what they can give to win the championship. We will probably see the most efficient offensive team in the league this season and next. Nash will be absolutely comfortable, and at his age, he doesn't need to look to dominate a game. Rather than he can play freely, and dish to whoever is in great position to put the ball in the hoop. This move will also greatly improve the play of the bench who has been a disappointment every year. Watch Jamison getting more open shots. Meeks getting more shots. Darius Morris using his quickness to thrive in this offense. Offensively, I think we can all agree that we will be happy in this department

2) Defensively a lot of people are questioning how this team will perform. I know what people say "Haha he's a crappy defensive coach"...."Haha D'antoni doesn't even preach defense".....and my most favorite one "He should be called Antoni...not D'antoni"...I've heard it all.
What people don't realize is the tempo of the phoenix suns team is what created big scores. You can't expect the phoenix suns, coached by d'antoni, to score 120-130 points....and then hold the opposing team to under 90. It's unreal, and can only be witnessed in the olympics. I understand that their defense was not above average. It may not have been average. But lets look at the players on the team. Diaw, Nash, Amare....do any of those guys play defense? No not at all! We have Ron Artest who will continue to guard the best perimeter, and sometimes even post player on the opposing team. We have Dwight Howard, who by the way, will probably average more rebounds and blocked shots because of the amount of possessions each game. We have Kobe, who has proven he can be the best perimeter defender in the league. All we have to worry about is Nash. But when Nash sits, we got Blake, Morris, Duhon. All those guys are spectacular when it comes to defending other guards. Look who might come to town to help him defensively as well....Nate McMillan. Everyone wanted that guy to come here to be a head coach! If those two work well together, we might be able to pull of a ring for Kobe this year, next year, and hell...maybe even the year after.

3) The last point I would like to make is that D'antoni has the respect of Kobe, Nash, Dwight, and everyone else who knows his reputation. Mike Brown was never respected. Lets face it. He had a finals appearance, but D'antoni had a phoenix suns basketball team that was very successful for a long time. Even in New York, when D'antoni had point guards that performed well, they won the game. Look at what Jeremy Lin did? Look at what Duhon did for him in half a season?

I hope these guys come together, and provide what can possibly be the funnest, and most exciting team to watch since the 04 new look lakers...

and glory be to God forever Amen.

DKLaker
11-15-2012, 12:37 AM
Lakerfreak, what I like the least out of your long awaited post (:oldlol: ) is that you wasted your time trying to lower the credibility of Phil in order to elevate 'Antoni.....this is unnecessary in trying to make a point. We all know the good and bad that comes with PJ but........how many rings does anyone else in the league have..........Yeah.....that's what I thought.......end of that crap.
:facepalm :facepalm :facepalm To actually try to compare the idiot Brown's Princeton to Phil's Triangle :banghead: :banghead:
This is a ridiculous as trying to compare me doing a magic trick to Chris Angel :banghead: Just STOP :no:

Jimmy is a complete idiot.....let's not try to excuse the guy,......he is so determined to establish HIS own identity that he has hurt the team.

As for Mike 'Antoni, it's too easy to call him that.....who else has a "D" in front of his name and never speaks of defense........even the Suns and Knicks players said he would very rarely even mention defense much less practice it.
So until I see this Lakers team play real defense I'll go with 'Antoni to make my point without having to say anything else (Lazy yes :D ).

Defensive talent doesn't mean you'll have a good defense, you have to have a system, rotations, protocol and you have to practice it.....you have to go over video and see opponents tendencies.
To think...oh we have Metta, Kobe and Dwight so our defense will be good is a lack of understanding of how a great team functions.
There is a reason the man hasn't been to the finals......it's certainly not because of his grade A offense. He lacks the respect for defense the way Jimmy Buss lacks the respect for scouting.

'Antoni is a smart man but stubbornly wants to win a title HIS WAY, he wants to show you can win without defense......this will not work....never.
IF we bring in McMillan and the coach allows him real practice time for defense we will have a good shot at this.....we are all praying :cheers:

DKLaker
11-15-2012, 01:22 AM
Here is what Mr. Showtime, Magic Johnson thinks about the hiring and Jimmy;

After tweeting that he would remain silent if he didn't "have anything nice to say," Magic Johnson said what was on his mind anyway.

Johnson doesn't think Mike D'Antoni is the right coach for the Los Angeles Lakers and can't understand how the franchise passed on bringing back Hall of Fame coach Phil Jackson.

And Johnson doesn't believe in Lakers executive vice president Jim Buss.

"I love Dr. (Jerry) Buss. I don't believe in Jim Buss," Johnson said on ESPN's NBA Countdown show Wednesday night. "He's made two critical mistakes already. To me, they made two critical mistakes.

http://espn.go.com/los-angeles/nba/story/_/id/8633977/magic-johnson-critical-los-angeles-lakers-jim-buss-decision-hire-mike-dantoni

lakerfreak
11-15-2012, 01:26 AM
Never a waste of time my laker loving friend. I am simply looking at the glass half full. Why did the Suns get eliminated so much? Simply because any team with have a decent big man was able to pound it inside. The sun's had no post presence other than a amare who had the playing style of a guard anyways. However we have Dwight Howard. This team assembled is much much better than the team that Mike ever had to coach. All of these players in the lineup have a good defensive IQ. I guarantee you they will get stops late in games which is more important.

Anyhow....driving and using my voice texting feature. I love my sIII.

dd24
11-15-2012, 02:10 AM
I don't think Magic is the only former Laker that was upset.... I love that he actually brings it up. Magic is dead on too! All we can do now is cross our fingers. If it's going to work, Nate McMillan is really going to need to be a big part of it.

TryToBeUnbias
11-15-2012, 06:01 PM
Think they'll resign Glock ? he'd probably do well in this system ... sure wish they kept CDR as well ..

dd24
11-15-2012, 06:39 PM
I doubt they're going to resign Goudelock. I think he got way over hyped as a player. The interesting thing that I think about is if they would've fired Brown before the season and shocked everyone by hiring D'Antoni is the Lakers probably would've been able to sign Barbosa instead of him choosing the Celtics. That would've made the bench better. I think Meeks and Jamison will do better in an offense that has better spacing and will get them better looks. The bench doesn't seem like it's in bad shape to me. It just seems like they need a real system to run. Brown held them back a ton.

TryToBeUnbias
11-15-2012, 06:48 PM
I doubt they're going to resign Goudelock. I think he got way over hyped as a player. The interesting thing that I think about is if they would've fired Brown before the season and shocked everyone by hiring D'Antoni is the Lakers probably would've been able to sign Barbosa instead of him choosing the Celtics. That would've made the bench better. I think Meeks and Jamison will do better in an offense that has better spacing and will get them better looks. The bench doesn't seem like it's in bad shape to me. It just seems like they need a real system to run. Brown held them back a ton.

He was a bit over hyped I agree. Lakers had pretty much zero offensive production coming from the second unit when he started producing so it's understandable. I do agree with you on the bench not being used properly ( Like jamison playing the 3 for whatever reason ) and yeah Getting Mike'D a bit earlier would have helped them land Barbosa.

I don't think CDR made the maves final roster but I'm not sure if the Lakers are still interested. I'd like to seem him in this system as well.

lakerfreak
11-15-2012, 07:58 PM
Here is what Mr. Showtime, Magic Johnson thinks about the hiring and Jimmy;

http://espn.go.com/los-angeles/nba/story/_/id/8633977/magic-johnson-critical-los-angeles-lakers-jim-buss-decision-hire-mike-dantoni

Again, the only similarity between a HOF basketball player, and someone like me, is their opinions carry the same value. Magic was 0-10 as our interim coach. From his experience, could he tell you in all honesty that he's played/dealt with either Phil or D'antoni?

Its no surprise. Its the safe answer to be honest. Anyone would normally choose Phil over D'antoni. I would have opted for phil if Nash wasn't on the team. To win the trophy though, everyone has to be contributing and on the same page.

Look at what happened the last time we had a veteran star point guard on the team (Gary Payton). He lost interest, and barely played in the finals against detroit. Would you want Nash to lose interest?

lakerfreak
11-15-2012, 07:59 PM
Still, Duhon scoffed at the widely held perception D'Antoni's system will entail little defense.

"You have Kobe, you have Metta (World Peace), you have Pau (Gasol) and you have Dwight Howard, obviously, protecting the paint," Duhon said.

"These guys have pride. They're not going to give up 157 points."

http://www.presstelegram.com/rss/ci_22000034

DKLaker
11-15-2012, 08:54 PM
Again, the only similarity between a HOF basketball player, and someone like me, is their opinions carry the same value. Magic was 0-10 as our interim coach. From his experience, could he tell you in all honesty that he's played/dealt with either Phil or D'antoni?

Its no surprise. Its the safe answer to be honest. Anyone would normally choose Phil over D'antoni. I would have opted for phil if Nash wasn't on the team. To win the trophy though, everyone has to be contributing and on the same page.

Look at what happened the last time we had a veteran star point guard on the team (Gary Payton). He lost interest, and barely played in the finals against detroit. Would you want Nash to lose interest?

Not a bit of this made any sense :facepalm :facepalm :facepalm
It's not even worth the momentary space on my computer screen.....I just hate how you downgrade Lakers legends......Magic's opinion same weight as yours????????????????????????????????????????????? ???????????????????????
:wtf: :wtf: :wtf: :wtf: :wtf:
As Magic said......if you have nothing nice to say don't say anything......so I'll stop myself right there. mmmm.....yeah not things that I should say.....

DKLaker
11-15-2012, 08:56 PM
http://www.presstelegram.com/rss/ci_22000034

I quote Magic Johnson......

You quote Duhon????? :facepalm :facepalm :facepalm
:biggums:

Come on man!!!!!! :wtf:

lakerfreak
11-16-2012, 04:41 AM
I quote Magic Johnson......

You quote Duhon????? :facepalm :facepalm :facepalm
:biggums:

Come on man!!!!!! :wtf:

Duhon played for D'antoni....Has Magic ever played for D'antoni?

lakerfreak
11-16-2012, 04:46 AM
Not a bit of this made any sense :facepalm :facepalm :facepalm
It's not even worth the momentary space on my computer screen.....I just hate how you downgrade Lakers legends......Magic's opinion same weight as yours????????????????????????????????????????????? ???????????????????????
:wtf: :wtf: :wtf: :wtf: :wtf:
As Magic said......if you have nothing nice to say don't say anything......so I'll stop myself right there. mmmm.....yeah not things that I should say.....

Im not downgrading his career as a player. He's a crappy coach. Lets just admit that lol. Michael Jordan was the BEST player ever. Look at him as a team owner. He freaking sucks!

I just don't think "playing credentials" should be used to so easily sway the opinions of fans. Was Kobe right about how they should trade Bynum for Kidd? Was Phil right about trading Bynum for Artest?

These "top notch legends" are so high up there they don't even notice what goes on under their nose.

How did none of my post make any sense? I TRIED TO LEARN ENGLISH I REALLY DID!!!

DKLaker
11-16-2012, 12:46 PM
Im not downgrading his career as a player. He's a crappy coach. Lets just admit that lol. Michael Jordan was the BEST player ever. Look at him as a team owner. He freaking sucks!

I just don't think "playing credentials" should be used to so easily sway the opinions of fans. Was Kobe right about how they should trade Bynum for Kidd? Was Phil right about trading Bynum for Artest?

These "top notch legends" are so high up there they don't even notice what goes on under their nose.

How did none of my post make any sense? I TRIED TO LEARN ENGLISH I REALLY DID!!!

Listen, I know you really don't know much about Magic Johnson......or coaching for that matter. For you to state that Magic knows as much as you about coaching.....is........a Mike Brown level comment.
And worse to try to bring Kobe and Phil's proposed deals into it is just lame to say the least.......show me me anyone in a decision making position who has never made a mistake.......your comparison posts show a definite lack of knowledge of the game, no nicer way to put it.....and I am REALLY TRYING.

Now if you want to enlighten me with your knowledge then please tell me about the season that Magic took over as head coach.....you were what...3 years old or so? Yet in the time between now and then you now, through your experience, know as much about coaching as Magic???
I as there at the games, talking to the players afterwards.

Just stop it.....you were the main Mike Brown homer on here.
Magic said that Mike Brown was a bad hire and would have fired him at the end of last season. You would learn a lot more about the game if you would listen to those who know the game better........and this doesn't mean quoting bench warmer Duhon :facepalm

Still laughing about Steve Blake the defensive wizard :facepalm :banghead:

lakerfreak
11-16-2012, 04:16 PM
Listen, I know you really don't know much about Magic Johnson......or coaching for that matter. For you to state that Magic knows as much as you about coaching.....is........a Mike Brown level comment.
And worse to try to bring Kobe and Phil's proposed deals into it is just lame to say the least.......show me me anyone in a decision making position who has never made a mistake.......your comparison posts show a definite lack of knowledge of the game, no nicer way to put it.....and I am REALLY TRYING.

Now if you want to enlighten me with your knowledge then please tell me about the season that Magic took over as head coach.....you were what...3 years old or so? Yet in the time between now and then you now, through your experience, know as much about coaching as Magic???
I as there at the games, talking to the players afterwards.

Just stop it.....you were the main Mike Brown homer on here.
Magic said that Mike Brown was a bad hire and would have fired him at the end of last season. You would learn a lot more about the game if you would listen to those who know the game better........and this doesn't mean quoting bench warmer Duhon :facepalm

Still laughing about Steve Blake the defensive wizard :facepalm :banghead:

I find it amusing that people on here think because I liked Mike Brown, that it spontaneously just lowers my credibility every time I speak. I think its completely stupid.

All I know is Magic went 0-10 as an interim coach. What should I do DK? Give him a hug, a kiss, and a chocolate chip cookie with 100$ in an envelope for christmas? 0-10 is crappy. I don't care what kind of team you have. 0-10 back then is just as bad as that is right now.

And as I mentioned in the other thread Duhon played for D'antoni, Magic never played for D'antoni. Duhon therefore wins that one as being more credible of a speaker.

Your approach at attacking my posts are intended to show everyone how "stupid" I am when it comes to the game. This approach fails with people who actually read what I have to say and use reasoning to pinpoint why I may have said something. Bottom line, if you think starting a war against good ol' lakerfreak by getting everyone else to say "I AGREE BUDDY" or "WOW DK SAYS HES DUMB....DK MUST BE SMART", then just to inform you from now, I will continue to post my opinions, respond to every post, moderate without a bias. I love this game and am not going anywhere else to post.

L.A. Jazz
11-16-2012, 05:02 PM
for me the - so far - only good thing about the signing of Dantoni is that PJax didnt get the job. i know i am one of the few...

now i will have to wait and see again how a new coach works out. pretty rediculous 8 games in the season for a huge club like the Lakers.

dd24
11-16-2012, 05:50 PM
for me the - so far - only good thing about the signing of Dantoni is that PJax didnt get the job. i know i am one of the few...

now i will have to wait and see again how a new coach works out. pretty rediculous 8 games in the season for a huge club like the Lakers.

Ummm, he was a big part of this organization winning 5 championships!!!! Considered one of the greatest (if not the greatest) coaches of all time. Care to explain why you don't like Phil Jackson as a coach??

L.A. Jazz
11-16-2012, 07:20 PM
oh, i respect Phil as much as anyone. i watched him destroying my Jazz 97 and 98. i loved the Shaq/Kobe years and i enjoyed the last two rings. that being said, i didnt like what i heard about Phils demands from the start. now i transfer myself into Jim Buss and Mitch Kupchek to answer your question:

there is a natural hierarchy, i am the boss and you as a coach report to me. and you cant come in and negotiate that. i would never let that happen. (and why should Jim Buss do? he maybe an idiot but he is the boss, if you like it or not.)

a simple NO to the nonsense with coaching only RS home games. if you cant do the travelling anymore, you are too old for the NBA. there is no chance i pay you that much money sitting at home while the team is on an 8 game road trip. thats where teams bond, where you see how they work away from home. Phil himself said so in one of the championship DVDs.

10-12 Mio dollars is a lot of money. plus he wanted Shaw and/or most of his old aasistants back. paying them and paying MB and his assistants, is a boatload of money. needs to be considered.

back into myself:
for me those are big arguments against PJax, without talking baskteball systems and players. would i have hired D'Antoni? No way. I would not be in this situation because i would have hired Rick Adleman last year. ;) think about having Adleman, Howard and CP3? could have been.

Jim Buss and Mitch have to deal with the reality they created by hiring MB and now Dantoni. i think they made the wrong choice both times, but thats their faults and not Dantonis, so i will keep my feelings against him in me and watch what he can do with this roster.

daily
11-16-2012, 07:34 PM
oh, i respect Phil as much as anyone. i watched him destroying my Jazz 97 and 98. i loved the Shaq/Kobe years and i enjoyed the last two rings. that being said, i didnt like what i heard about Phils demands from the start. now i transfer myself into Jim Buss and Mitch Kupchek to answer your question:

there is a natural hierarchy, i am the boss and you as a coach report to me. and you cant come in and negotiate that. i would never let that happen. (and why should Jim Buss do? he maybe an idiot but he is the boss, if you like it or not.)

a simple NO to the nonsense with coaching only RS home games. if you cant do the travelling anymore, you are too old for the NBA. there is no chance i pay you that much money sitting at home while the team is on an 8 game road trip. thats where teams bond, where you see how they work away from home. Phil himself said so in one of the championship DVDs.

10-12 Mio dollars is a lot of money. plus he wanted Shaw and/or most of his old aasistants back. paying them and paying MB and his assistants, is a boatload of money. needs to be considered.

back into myself:
for me those are big arguments against PJax, without talking baskteball systems and players. would i have hired D'Antoni? No way. I would not be in this situation because i would have hired Rick Adleman last year. ;) think about having Adleman, Howard and CP3? could have been.

Jim Buss and Mitch have to deal with the reality they created by hiring MB and now Dantoni. i think they made the wrong choice both times, but thats their faults and not Dantonis, so i will keep my feelings against him in me and watch what he can do with this roster.

That's a good post. Myself I'm fine with Mike D'Antoni other than his name is a pain to type out on a phone. It's time to go another direction. Phil Jackson wouldn't have gone more than a season maybe two and you're back to square one looking for another hire. who know's who's available next time around. D'Antoni will provide long term stability at the hardest position to fill on an NBA staff if everything works out. No matter how successful the team might have become with Jackson that never would have happened.

lakerfreak
11-16-2012, 09:23 PM

back into myself:

This is a very fair post and I agree with all points. This was not only a basketball decision but also a business decision.
*from my android*

DKLaker
11-16-2012, 11:07 PM
As I see it, hiring Mike Brown and 'Antoni to coach this very expensive team is like a NASCAR owner spending a fortune on a race car and then putting a 12 year old behind the wheel then replacing him with a 17 year old and expecting to win.....it's just dumb, why spend the money if you are not going to get the job done. The Lakers with that huge TV contract could easily afford Phil and his assistants. Look at how much more money the team would make off extra playoff/finals games and merchandise.......not to mention tying Boston for most titles. If Phil were here for 2 years that's fine.....how long was Mike Brown here...lol. I'd take Phil in a heartbeat....you KNOW he can win titles.....and this would be his easiest year by far, he has never had this level of talent.
As for the road games.....really, who gives a crap....it's all about having the BEST in the playoffs and finals.....I'll take the best playoff coach in history over a never been there coach any day. Chances of winning go WAY UP!!!!

DKLaker
11-16-2012, 11:24 PM
I find it amusing that people on here think because I liked Mike Brown, that it spontaneously just lowers my credibility every time I speak. I think its completely stupid.

All I know is Magic went 0-10 as an interim coach. What should I do DK? Give him a hug, a kiss, and a chocolate chip cookie with 100$ in an envelope for christmas? 0-10 is crappy. I don't care what kind of team you have. 0-10 back then is just as bad as that is right now.

And as I mentioned in the other thread Duhon played for D'antoni, Magic never played for D'antoni. Duhon therefore wins that one as being more credible of a speaker.

Your approach at attacking my posts are intended to show everyone how "stupid" I am when it comes to the game. This approach fails with people who actually read what I have to say and use reasoning to pinpoint why I may have said something. Bottom line, if you think starting a war against good ol' lakerfreak by getting everyone else to say "I AGREE BUDDY" or "WOW DK SAYS HES DUMB....DK MUST BE SMART", then just to inform you from now, I will continue to post my opinions, respond to every post, moderate without a bias. I love this game and am not going anywhere else to post.

Uh......when you say Magic was 0-10 I know you don't know WTF you are talking about. Just like when I didn't say anything when you said Magic won titles without Kareem.......you read stuff but don't actually know the real facts or details. You are young, hopefully you will learn the game......I would suggest not trying to show off you knowledge of anything prior to 2000.
Oh......here are the facts......Magic was 5-1 before the very poor team quit on him because he was too demanding, they finished the season on a 10 game losing streak. His coaching record is 5-11, it's too bad you don't know WTF you are talking about.That was damn near 20 years ago and you have the nuts to say he hasn't learned anything from it and YOU have surpassed his knowledge. I respect your right to give YOUR opinion but will not be kind if you come up with ridiculous stuff to bash a legend of whom you know nothing about......it's not an intelligent conversation. (No, I am not questioning your overall intelligence at all)
Now had I been trying to embarrass you i would've corrected you on your earlier Magic related nonsense.....I let it slide, someone else corrected you.
You are a good guy, I respect you.....but when you come up with such nonsense I have to say something once in awhile.....and you posted a ton in this thread. Showtime era is NOT your forte.

BTW.....I wouldn't listen to Smush's opinion on Phil any more than Duhon's on 'Antoni :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

WhiteMamba
11-17-2012, 12:12 AM
The offense right now with the Suns is looking hot

lakerfreak
11-17-2012, 07:10 PM
Uh......when you say Magic was 0-10 I know you don't know WTF you are talking about. Just like when I didn't say anything when you said Magic won titles without Kareem.......you read stuff but don't actually know the real facts or details. You are young, hopefully you will learn the game......I would suggest not trying to show off you knowledge of anything prior to 2000.
Oh......here are the facts......Magic was 5-1 before the very poor team quit on him because he was too demanding, they finished the season on a 10 game losing streak. His coaching record is 5-11, it's too bad you don't know WTF you are talking about.That was damn near 20 years ago and you have the nuts to say he hasn't learned anything from it and YOU have surpassed his knowledge. I respect your right to give YOUR opinion but will not be kind if you come up with ridiculous stuff to bash a legend of whom you know nothing about......it's not an intelligent conversation. (No, I am not questioning your overall intelligence at all)
Now had I been trying to embarrass you i would've corrected you on your earlier Magic related nonsense.....I let it slide, someone else corrected you.
You are a good guy, I respect you.....but when you come up with such nonsense I have to say something once in awhile.....and you posted a ton in this thread. Showtime era is NOT your forte.

BTW.....I wouldn't listen to Smush's opinion on Phil any more than Duhon's on 'Antoni :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

Oh okay! He wasn't 0-10 guys, dont worry, he was 5-11. Much better.

It seems to me that you do not read before you comment. I said as a player he was a legend. That does not guarantee he would be a good coach or manager. If you one more time, mention that I am "bashing Magic" then that is my indicator you really don't read.

Keep in mind as well, since I am not directly quoting something, some information that I give is reported from what I can remember. For example, when you said that the Magic coached lakers lost the last 10 in a row, rather than my mis-read or forgotten info that he's 0-10 overall, it would have helped me understand more. But you can't seem to live without some sort of confrontation.

And yeah, you know what, I wasn't born in the 70's watching Magic and Kareem. Luckily enough, they put that stuff on TV for guys like me who didn't have the pleasure of being born into this time period.

What are you gonna say next, its my fault I wasn't born earlier?

lakerfreak
11-17-2012, 07:12 PM
The offense right now with the Suns is looking hot

It definitely is. This was without the actual D'antoni being there too. Im excited to see just what he can do when he is coaching in the flesh.

My boy ron-ron had himself a monstrous offensive game. I think in this 100% free system, he is going to be a much better player offensively, which is something we as laker fans had been missing out on since we got him on this team.

DKLaker
11-17-2012, 08:12 PM
Oh okay! He wasn't 0-10 guys, dont worry, he was 5-11. Much better.

It seems to me that you do not read before you comment. I said as a player he was a legend. That does not guarantee he would be a good coach or manager. If you one more time, mention that I am "bashing Magic" then that is my indicator you really don't read.

Keep in mind as well, since I am not directly quoting something, some information that I give is reported from what I can remember. For example, when you said that the Magic coached lakers lost the last 10 in a row, rather than my mis-read or forgotten info that he's 0-10 overall, it would have helped me understand more. But you can't seem to live without some sort of confrontation.

And yeah, you know what, I wasn't born in the 70's watching Magic and Kareem. Luckily enough, they put that stuff on TV for guys like me who didn't have the pleasure of being born into this time period.

What are you gonna say next, its my fault I wasn't born earlier?

First off, there is a HUGE difference between having your own team that you have taught an offense to and have started the season with THAN taking over a sinking ship bad team with 16 games left to play. I HOPE you can understand that. In addition Magic had never coached before and got thrown in at the last minute, he had a very aggressive approach that didn't sit well with the players who were already making their offseason plans. It started off wekk but after a couple losses, Magic laid into the guys and they just played out the last games. At that time, Magic knew the game extremely well and knew what he wanted the team to do but hadn't been trained in the type of people skills that a coach needs to have.....as in Phil's greatest strength....managing egos. Now to say Magic couldn't coach is being oblivious of the facts as I stated. I bust your chops because you try to talk about stuff you have absolutely no knowledge or understanding of......and worse won't listen to those who know more than you about an era before you were even a teenager.
To insult Magic in saying his opinion holds as much weight as yours.....if you are going to make a comment like that you had damn well better know WTF you are talking about and not come up with 0-10 or Magic won titles without Kareem.
If you want to argue a point don't bother with senseless, clueless points, stick to what you know and can discuss in an intelligent manner.
Saying that oh, Magic never played for D'Antoni......lamer than lame, I didn't have to play for Mike Brown to know he was an idiot who couldn't coach and a terrible hire.....I didn't even have to wait for him to coach a Lakers game....I saw him in Cleveland, he didn't know wtf he was doing.
All my NBA friends knew Brown was an idiot too and laughed at him......yet you were hanging on to him like he was suddenly going to sprout into greatness :banghead: :banghead: :banghead:
You posts in this thread have been so over the top I had to call you on it.
I do think very highly of you but at some point I have to say something.
It's all good bro.....no hate here :cheers: