PDA

View Full Version : What's stopping Rudy Gay from becoming a superstar?

gyu
11-12-2012, 06:52 PM
Ever since his 2nd season (07-08) I thought he would eventually become an elite player but it has yet to happen.

He has all the physical tools: he's tall with excellent length, wet jumper (and also gets up high on his jumpers so he can pretty much shoot over anyone), and very athletic with an extremely quick first step

He's always hovered around 20ppg and actually only broke 20 ppg just once so far.

Grizzlies fans, fill me in!

DuMa
11-12-2012, 06:53 PM
shot selection
defense

tomtucker
11-12-2012, 06:55 PM
his name

senelcoolidge
11-12-2012, 06:56 PM
Being Rudy Gay is stopping him from becoming a superstar.

chips93
11-12-2012, 06:56 PM
not a grizzlies fan, but he seems to settle for jumpers too much, and doesnt really have much ball handling ability, or playmaking ability, so he cant get to the rim enough, or create for others, and he isnt a good enough shooter to make up for it (like kd is)

LAClipsFan33
11-12-2012, 07:01 PM
He's not aggressive enough offensively

RRR3
11-12-2012, 07:02 PM
He's kind of a poor man's Melo from what I've seen. Very talented, but stops the ball too much. He's not the best ballhandler either, as Chips said. Part of it I think is that he's essentially the third option on his team, and even though he might often be the leading scorer for Memphis, it's because he'll break a play off and ISO himself, even though the offense goes through Z-Bo and Marc Gasol. He could probably score more on a different team, especially a bad team. IDK it seems like he should be better than he is when I watch him :confusedshrug:
He also shoots too many jumpers instead of driving

Kiddlovesnets
11-12-2012, 07:03 PM
He has just reached his maximum potential, not a superstar material to begin with.

Umad101
11-12-2012, 07:03 PM
Cuz he's gay

Mr. NBA
11-12-2012, 07:05 PM
This year Rudy has been takihg excellent shots. Previously, he settles for jumpers. Now he gets into 15 ft and hits almost every time. He hasn't been hitting his shots this year but his sjot selection has been good. Also he has improved his playmaking skills and is decent enough to run point every now and than. He is also not checking out of games like he use to and his effort level is much more consistent. The last thing, Rudy admitted to playing for individual accolades until now. I seen it in an interview during Memphis media day. Rudy use to whine and check out, that's why he hasn't lived up to his potential. The shoulder injury also stunted his progression when he was having his best all around year.

SyRyanYang
11-12-2012, 07:19 PM
Because he doesn't want it that bad. Simply as that.
For most human beings, being multi-millionaire, playing the sports he loves is living the dream. Obviously Rudy has all the tools to be a super-star, but to actually be one, he's got to work his ass off. It's not like he's Lebron or Shaq.
But what's the payoff? A tad richer? I don't think a couple dozes of million dollar will make THAT much a difference for a already-multi-millionaire. Fame? it's not for everyone.
There simply aren't enough incentives.
Ask yourself what would you do if you were him. Hell we settle for much worse situations: 8/5, 50K a year, wife, kids. What's stopping your from getting a better life? We all settle for mediocrity, mediocrity is the elephant in the house, that's what we all are.

SpecialQue
11-12-2012, 07:22 PM
Low jersey sales.

Nash
11-12-2012, 07:23 PM
His last name, dude sold the least jersey of all players in the NBA.

TheMarkMadsen
11-12-2012, 07:25 PM
A consistent jumpshot.

If he made defenders respect the J he would be a 24ppg scorer.

He can't consistently knock down the mid range shot.

TheBigVeto
11-12-2012, 07:27 PM
Small market.
And his last name.

DStebb716
11-12-2012, 07:27 PM
the same thing that stopped jason hart from every being a superstar... they just aren't superstars

I<3NBA
11-12-2012, 07:30 PM
shot selection

kNIOKAS
11-12-2012, 07:30 PM
Wow I wish could neg enough.

How in the hell his name is stopping him from becoming a superstar? How in the ****ing hell does it effect his game ?

Stop posting if you don't have shit to say.

TheMarkMadsen
11-12-2012, 07:34 PM
Small market.
And his last name.

Tim Duncan, Kevin Durant, Lebron James, Dwayne Wade, Chris Bosh, Kevin Love, Kevin Garnett.

All those players became superstars while playing on small market teams.

Being in a big market doesn't make you a better player, every player in the NBA that is considered a "superstar" is considered so because of their on the court play.

If Ruday Gay played in a bigger market he'd prolly be considered overrated because his follies would be under a larger microscope.

PLEASE "the big veto" aka ISH worst troll, name me 1 player currently in the NBA who is a superstar yet isn't considered so b/c of the market he plays in?

AK47DR91
11-12-2012, 07:58 PM
Playing in his 7th season.
Playoff appearance(s): 2011-12

The small market factor wouldn't even matter if he had about 4 playoff appearances to his 7 seasons.

Graviton
11-12-2012, 08:10 PM
This is the question I keep asking myself about Rudy, Iggy and Josh Smith. They all have the size, athleticism and potential to be stars if they just worked on their skills. But there is only 1 all star appearance between them, even though they have all been in NBA for 6-8 years.

You see smaller athletic freaks like Rose and Westbrook becoming superstars in their 3rd season, so why can't bigger/taller versions of them do the same?

Josh Smith was robbed last year though, he should get an all star selection this season at least.

swi7ch
11-12-2012, 08:12 PM
His last name. It's not marketable.

QuebecBaller
11-12-2012, 08:14 PM
His last name, dude sold the least jersey of all players in the NBA.

Nobody want to buy a shirt with the line "Gay is Great" ? :confusedshrug:

:D :D :D

brandonislegend
11-12-2012, 08:18 PM
Rudy Gay has a three time better jumpshot than josh smith and iggy, shot selection and playmaking are his weakness.

zac
11-12-2012, 08:20 PM
It's his motivation that holds him back. He is tall and athletic enough to get his shot off above anyone in the league and he knows that. That's the problem though, he knows that and because he knows that, he settles for contested pull up jumpers from far out. If he'd just continue to be agressive he could be way more dominant. He needs better court vision too, he almost never drives and dishes but that does back to the first problem, he doesn't have to because he can shoot over anyone.

People saying defense don't really know what they're talking about. He's not Tony Allen but he is either 1st or 2nd in franchise history in steals and can block shots easily although his man defense can be a little suspect sometimes.

After all that, this year he seems to have taken it upon himself to be extremely aggressive and not settle for long jumpers and if he keeps this up, he could have his best year. The main problem is this Grizzlies team doesn't have superstars anywhere, they play as a team in every sense of the word. When one guy struggles, others step up.

ncrizzle
11-13-2012, 05:43 PM
Shot selection, getting back in transition D, and ball handling have been his b ball problems. Lets also remember he had a season ending shoulder injury 2 years ago. Rudy always settled for jump shots. In the past he wasnt very good putting the ball on the ground. But he has worked on his game and it shows this year. He is using his size and posting up twice as much as normal. He also use to take himself out of games, and he has shown he is not doing that this year. People say he doesnt want to win and blah blah, but its just his mannerisms. Just because he doesnt dance around like lebron doesnt mean he doesnt want to win. Besides his sagging transition D, he is a good defender. He rebounds the ball and has averaged 1.3 steals a game over his career. Thing is in the past he was our best option as a floor spreader. We have had such shitty teams in the past that he was the only person you would even want attempting a 3.

And whoever said gay is a 3rd option, he is not. The grizzlies game plan is all based on match ups. Rudy is the most clutch player on the team, and as far as buzzer beaters/game winners in clutch situations, he is one of the best in the league

Smoke117
11-13-2012, 05:58 PM
He has weak handles. Just because you have great athleticism doesn't mean you can dribble. (Shawn Marion)

flipogb
11-13-2012, 05:58 PM
Add an "e" to his last name and he becomes as popular as Melo and Durant

RRR3
11-13-2012, 06:02 PM
He has weak handles. Just because you have great athleticism doesn't mean you can dribble. (Shawn Marion)
That's true but Marion found a way to be a 4 time All-Star, and Rudy hasn't.

RaininTwos
11-13-2012, 06:07 PM
His natural limitations as a person.

RaininTwos
11-13-2012, 06:09 PM
Tim Duncan, Kevin Durant, Lebron James, Dwayne Wade, Chris Bosh, Kevin Love, Kevin Garnett.

All those players became superstars while playing on small market teams.

Being in a big market doesn't make you a better player, every player in the NBA that is considered a "superstar" is considered so because of their on the court play.

If Ruday Gay played in a bigger market he'd prolly be considered overrated because his follies would be under a larger microscope.

PLEASE "the big veto" aka ISH worst troll, name me 1 player currently in the NBA who is a superstar yet isn't considered so b/c of the market he plays in?

So according to you....

Miami, Toronto, Minneapolis and Cleveland are small markets now?:wtf:

blablabla
11-13-2012, 06:18 PM
That's true but Marion found a way to be a 4 time All-Star, and Rudy hasn't.
Marion was an elite rebounder and defender and not comparable to Rudy Gay

I think that when he plays within the flow off the offense, which sometimes does, he's an absolutely great fit on this team, but often he's just forcing the issue, instead making the pass to z-bo or marc who got themselves in a scoring position he takes an ill advised jumpshoot
Altough this season,so far, he has looked good taking it to the hoop aggressively, drawing fouls his shooting has been off this season but he'll improve

But in the end i don't think he even has the potential to be a superstar, he's a notch above guys like Granger or Wallace but still so far off Melos or Durants level to be even considered a superstar, good player i was rooting for him to be an all star for quite some time now maybe it'll happen this season but like i said not even close to superstar level

blablabla
11-13-2012, 06:19 PM
So according to you....

Miami, Toronto, Minneapolis and Cleveland are small markets now?:wtf:
I guess on Ish only NY and LA are big markets

RRR3
11-13-2012, 06:19 PM
Marion was an elite rebounder and defender and not comparable to Rudy Gay

I think that when he plays within the flow off the offense, which sometimes does, he's an absolutely great fit on this team, but often he's just forcing the issue, instead making the pass to z-bo or marc who got themselves in a scoring position he takes an ill advised jumpshoot
Altough this season,so far, he has looked good taking it to the hoop aggressively, drawing fouls his shooting has been off this season but he'll improve

But in the end i don't think he even has the potential to be a superstar, he's a notch above guys like Granger or Wallace but still so far off Melos or Durants level to be even considered a superstar, good player i was rooting for him to be an all star for quite some time now maybe it'll happen this season but like i said not even close to superstar level
Good post. Agree. Granger did have two years of 26 and 24 PPG respectively, wonder how much Rudy could score on the teams Granger put up those stats on.

PP34Deuce
11-13-2012, 06:20 PM
Can we correlate success to Gay to great PG play.

Gay can ISO, but hes a finisher. Not every SF has to be a playmaker setting offense up.

Gays problem to me is his inconsistency playing defense. If he gave consistent defense he'd be more valuable scoring 22 7 and great defense than 22 7 and 5 with many turnovers.

Im more disappointed in Conley. That guy has every tool an elite PG should have. great vision, decent shooter,great athlete, high IQ. Yet hes still just an above average PG.

The day Conley can consistently be a great PG is the day the grizzlies will terrify out west.

LoneyROY7
11-13-2012, 06:21 PM
Ballhandling, and the subsequent inability to get to the rim on a consistent basis.

He thus has to settle for too many difficult jump shots.

PP34Deuce
11-13-2012, 06:27 PM
Ballhandling, and the subsequent inability to get to the rim on a consistent basis.

He thus has to settle for too many difficult jump shots.

I just want to see Gay realize his defensive potential. has the perfect body to defend long 2's and 3's.

blablabla
11-13-2012, 06:33 PM
Im more disappointed in Conley. That guy has every tool an elite PG should have. great vision, decent shooter,great athlete, high IQ. Yet hes still just an above average PG.

The day Conley can consistently be a great PG is the day the grizzlies will terrify out west.
He'd be the perfect 3 in a dantoni system, good catch and shoot player, athletic, good at the fastbreak

Basketbolero
11-13-2012, 06:42 PM
This may sound hard to believe to some people but truth is, Stern does not want a superstar with that name in his league so he has been doing all type of obscure things to hold him back since the boy started to show some potential.

First,on Draft day, all 30 teams were told to ignore him in the 1st round, which the Rockets ignored, only to be forced to trade him 'for basketball reasons' to freaking Memphis for Shane Battier! Then, after his promising sophomore season, Rudy was told he was not allowed to average more than 20ppg for the season ever again in order to stay under the radar and avoid media hype. Heck, just have a look at his stats season-by-season and tell me they don't look fishy...

Box scores have been fixed on a regular basis ever since to diminish him and mediocre guys like Zach Randolph and Marc Gasol have seen a boost in their stats due to this. Randolph, who nobody in the league wanted a piece of before arriving to Memphis, even made it to the all star and Marc Gasol, a 48th draft selection, is now considered one of the top centers in the league.

Things reached a boiling point for him in Game 1 of last playoffs where his team met the Clippers, a historically bad franchise, and Stern, fearing that Gay would hand another Finals loss to his boy Lebron after realising how well the Grizzlies matched up against the Heat, told Gay's teammates not to score in like 15 minutes of playing time, which resulted in the greatest comeback in Clippers history and eventually the elimination of the Grizzlies.

Gay continues practicing hard everyday hoping that, some day, Stern will retire and he will have the recognition he deserves :applause:

LoneyROY7
11-13-2012, 06:45 PM
This may sound hard to believe to some people but truth is, Stern does not want a superstar with that name in his league so he has been doing all type of obscure things to hold him back since the boy started to show some potential.

First,on Draft day, all 30 teams were told to ignore him in the 1st round, which the Rockets ignored, only to be forced to trade him 'for basketball reasons' to freaking Memphis for Shane Battier! Then, after his promising sophomore season, Rudy was told he was not allowed to average more than 20ppg for the season ever again in order to stay under the radar and avoid media hype. Heck, just have a look at his stats season-by-season and tell me they don't look fishy...

Box scores have been fixed on a regular basis ever since to diminish him and mediocre guys like Zach Randolph and Marc Gasol have seen a boost in their stats due to this. Randolph, who nobody in the league wanted a piece of before arriving to Memphis, even made it to the all star and Marc Gasol, a 48th draft selection, is now considered one of the top centers in the league.

Things reached a boiling point for him in Game 1 of last playoffs where his team met the Clippers, a historically bad franchise, and Stern, fearing that Gay would hand another Finals loss to his boy Lebron after realising how well the Grizzlies matched up against the Heat, told Gay's teammates not to score in like 15 minutes of playing time, which resulted in the greatest comeback in Clippers history and eventually the elimination of the Grizzlies.

Gay continues practicing hard everyday hoping that, some day, Stern will retire and he will have the recognition he deserves :applause:

Turrible, just turrible.

Yes, blame David Stern for a player's deficiencies. :coleman:

Basketbolero
11-13-2012, 06:49 PM
:facepalm
Turrible, just turrible.

Yes, blame David Stern for a player's deficiencies. :coleman:

HardwoodLegend
11-13-2012, 07:00 PM
http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-RfWAkYBAHGc/T29kaPemEvI/AAAAAAAABuo/7sGKuANeGT8/s1600/Gay%2BLove%2BJersey%2BBros.jpg

http://cdn.memegenerator.net/instances/250x250/23599384.jpg

KG215
11-14-2012, 12:13 AM
I've seen them do the NBA on ESPN Wednesday promo probably 10 times in the last 24 hours during ESPN's 24-hour college hoops marathon. You know how they have a little picture of one player for each team in the two games? Well when they promote the Thunder/Grizzlies game they say "It's Kevin Durant and the Thunder vs. the Grizzlies, and LeBron James and the Heat vs. Chris Paul and the Clippers." They have Gay's picture up there, but don't mention his name.

I don't know, I just find that interesting.

brandonislegend
11-14-2012, 12:16 AM
Can we correlate success to Gay to great PG play.

Gay can ISO, but hes a finisher. Not every SF has to be a playmaker setting offense up.

Gays problem to me is his inconsistency playing defense. If he gave consistent defense he'd be more valuable scoring 22 7 and great defense than 22 7 and 5 with many turnovers.

This might be the dumbest thing I have read all day. Do you even watch basketball? He is one of the most consistent point guards in the league and is severely underrated. Watch a game or something

BuffaloBill
11-14-2012, 12:24 AM
Rudy Gay Files Paperwork to Change Jersey Name
MARCH 4, 2010
On the heels of the news that Lebron James would be switching numbers beginning next season, Memphis Grizzlies forward Rudy Gay has filed the requisite paperwork to change the name on the back of his jersey. As is the case with James's decision, the move is widely speculated to be a marketing ploy.

Despite a high-profile college career at UConn and a productive four-year NBA career, Gay ranked second-to-last in jersey sales last year, with only three being sold: one to a gay Grizzlies fan, one to a Memphis college student who was drunk, and one to Grizzlies equipment manger Scott Fiore who misplaced Gay's real jersey before a game last year against the Sixers.

"It was really embarrassing for me to have to do that," said Fiore. "Not losing his real jersey. That happens from time to time. But going up to our team store and actually purchasing it. I said I wanted a number 22 jersey, just trying to get in and get out without getting noticed. But the sales lady was all like: 'You mean a GAY jersey? Really? A jersey with GAY on it? That's what you want? A GAY one. You want a GAY jersey, is that correct, sir? GAY?' Really loud so everyone could hear."

The NBA league office confirmed that Gay, whose jersey sales rank behind only Warriors reserve swingman Demarcus Longtaint, would be making a switch, but refused to disclose what the new name would be. A source within the Grizzlies organization stated on the condition of anonymity that Gay was deciding between "Pussyslayer", "Thundercock", and the Chinese character for virility.

Gay will unveil his new jersey name at a press conference this Friday, to be held at the Platinum Rose gentlemen's club in downtown Memphis.

^ .

HardwoodLegend
11-14-2012, 12:29 AM
^ .

:lol :lol :lol :lol :roll:

ncrizzle
11-14-2012, 03:42 AM
I just want to see Gay realize his defensive potential. has the perfect body to defend long 2's and 3's.

transition defense is not great, but as an on ball defender he is good.

ChrisPosh
11-14-2012, 04:48 AM
Even with a black president, our society still isn't ready to accept a Gay man as the face of an NBA franchise.

edit: Although despite low jersey sales, there is still hope because strangely his jersey remains a popular purchase in the Bay area.

lilojmayo
11-15-2012, 09:59 AM
Zach Randolph takes alot of his touches away, that's one reason.

Jyap9675
11-17-2012, 10:02 PM
He's got great size and length, good offensive skill set and not one all star selection since 07..

Basketbolero
11-17-2012, 10:07 PM
He's got great size and length, good offensive skill set and not one all star selection since 07..
Refer to my earlier post, obvious conspiracy exposed