PDA

View Full Version : I'm still young to the game... why do you have to hold the ball...

e's Nikees
11-19-2012, 12:31 PM
When the clock is winding down and you're up by 6 or 8 points rather than just try and score? Like what Damian Lillard did last game against the Bulls?

Pushxx
11-19-2012, 12:32 PM
When the clock is winding down and you're up by 6 or 8 points rather than just try and score? Like what Damian Lillard did last game against the Bulls?

Sportsmanship.

theaussieguy
11-19-2012, 12:32 PM
multiple reasons, one being whats the point of trying to score and potentially risking injury if u have it in the bag.

Clippersfan86
11-19-2012, 12:35 PM
Sportsmanship.

This. You don't want to embarrass or show an opponent up when you're already going to win anyways. Certain situations it's acceptable such as the excuse Lilliard gave. If you truly believe the team is trying to intentionally foul I'd definitely dunk it or shoot it too just to prevent that stupid back and forth, futile free throw drama.

Crown&Coke
11-19-2012, 12:38 PM
its an unwritten rule, you don't go for the score to pad your stats when the game is in the bag. Its kind of like showing the other team up. And the NBA is one big fraternity

Sasha Vuvacic did this against NOLA a few years ago, he got fouled HARD by Speedy Claxton. Sasha tried to get crazy and big bad Marc Jackson came running up like he was going to take Sasha's head off. Safe to say Sasha calmed the eff down. Both Phil and Kobe were shaking their heads at Sasha.

You just don't do that

stallionaire
11-19-2012, 12:40 PM
its an unwritten rule, you don't go for the score to pad your stats when the game is in the bag. Its kind of like showing the other team up. And the NBA is one big fraternity

Sasha Vuvacic did this against NOLA a few years ago, he got fouled HARD by Speedy Claxton. Sasha tried to get crazy and big bad Marc Jackson came running up like he was going to take Sasha's head off. Safe to say Sasha calmed the eff down. Both Phil and Kobe were shaking their heads at Sasha.

You just don't do that

video?

Crown&Coke
11-19-2012, 12:46 PM
video?

did a quick search and nothing on youtube.

Its Sasha Vujacic, Speedy, and Marc Jackson. Not too many hits when you type those three dudes in the search box

Rake2204
11-19-2012, 12:53 PM
I really have zero issue with what Damian Lillard did. In fact, watching the video clip, the response of the announcers and opposition is almost laughable to me. It... was a dunk. He didn't scream, pound his chest, flip off the opposition, kick Joakim Noah in the balls. It was just a random two points at the end of a decided game.

To be clear, I do believe there are instances where it may not be deemed acceptable. For instance, in high school there are often times where the level of one team can vary greatly from the level of another. They're all technically "high school", but if Oak Hill Academy played my former club, it wouldn't really be fair. And in that case, if Oak Hill's winning by 84 and they placed a starter back in the game with 30 seconds left so he could sit at one end of the floor and attempt a 360 between-the-legs flush, I think I'd be a little salty.

Other than that though, to use the high school example again (and oftentimes college), both teams usually play until the final buzzer. I've played for and watched teams that got dunked on during garbage time. I didn't get pissed about a supposed lack of sportsmanship. I was just bummed we were getting beat and just got dunked on too.

What ever happened to playing until the final buzzer in the NBA? When and why was it deemed so unacceptable for a millionaire (playing in front of tens of thousands of fans who paid his salary so they could watch him do neat things) to pull off a random dunk at the end of the game and then quietly run up the floor? He clearly meant no ill will, yet the announcers reacted as if he committed a felony.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pKC9YGtBHd4

swi7ch
11-19-2012, 12:58 PM
Sportsmanship.

Tell that to the NE Patriots. :oldlol:

iamgine
11-19-2012, 01:00 PM
I really have zero issue with what Damian Lillard did. In fact, watching the video clip, the response of the announcers and opposition is almost laughable to me. It... was a dunk. He didn't scream, pound his chest, flip off the opposition, kick Joakim Noah in the balls. It was just a random two points at the end of a decided game.

To be clear, I do believe there are instances where it may not be deemed acceptable. For instance, in high school there are often times where the level of one team can vary greatly from the level of another. They're all technically "high school", but if Oak Hill Academy played my former club, it wouldn't really be fair. And in that case, if Oak Hill's winning by 84 and they placed a starter back in the game with 30 seconds left so he could sit at one end of the floor and attempt a 360 between-the-legs flush, I think I'd be a little salty.

Other than that though, to use the high school example again (and oftentimes college), both teams usually play until the final buzzer. I've played for and watched teams that got dunked on during garbage time. I didn't get pissed about a supposed lack of sportsmanship. I was just bummed we were getting beat and just got dunked on too.

What ever happened to playing until the final buzzer in the NBA? When and why was it deemed so unacceptable for a millionaire (playing in front of tens of thousands of fans who paid his salary so they could watch him do neat things) to pull off a random dunk at the end of the game and then quietly run up the floor? He clearly meant no ill will, yet the announcers reacted as if he committed a felony.

It's just in NBA culture, it's seen as disrespectful.

stallionaire
11-19-2012, 01:03 PM
It's just in NBA culture, it's seen as disrespectful.

Yep.

ZenMaster
11-19-2012, 01:10 PM

Playing and showing off until the final buzzer was replaced with good sportsmanship.

I'd tell my guys to foul hard if they had the chance in a situation like that if they want to, I also tell my guys to hold the ball when we have secured the win unless we play someone who we want to piss off, say a team who has been playing particularly dirty or a team who has tried to score in the same situation vs us.

Rake2204
11-19-2012, 01:11 PM
It's just in NBA culture, it's seen as disrespectful.I understand that's the reasoning. I'm saying, why is that the reasoning. Why and how did that somehow become established in the manner with which it did? I think it's a ridiculous unwritten rule and I'm often pleased when I see players fight such a preposterous concept.

Again, I'm not saying the floodgates should be open to players on winning teams yelling in opponent's faces, break dancing on the court, or grabbing a microphone with 15 seconds left and declaring, "These guys all suck." But a meaningless end-of-game bucket should have absolutely no repercussion. If nothing else, it's something for the fans, who again, are paying to see things like that.

It sort of reminds me of an incident a year or two ago when the Mavericks were winning by 10 or so with 20 seconds left. Their opponent was pressing the length of the floor, pressuring Dallas' point guard and really making him work. To assist, Brian Cardinal stepped up and set a screen on the defender. The opposition drew huge issue with Cardinal's play because they claimed the game was already decided.

Again, I understand it's part of the culture, I just think it's a terrible part of the culture and nearly makes zero sense, particularly in Lillard's case where he just put it in with two hands and pretty much ran up the floor with his head down.

Playing and showing off until the final buzzer was replaced with good sportsmanship.

I'd tell my guys to foul hard if they had the chance in a situation like that if they want to, I also tell my guys to hold the ball when we have secured the win unless we play someone who we want to piss off, say a team who has been playing particularly dirty or a team who has tried to score in the same situation vs us.To me, good sportsmanship is taking it easy on a team who clearly cannot compete (I mean, taking it easy after you've already established a healthy win, not taking it easy from the start). For instance, I coached a seventh grade team who had absolutely no ability to break one team's full court press. That team was up by 20+ early in the second half (which is more significant than it sounds when considering our middle school played six minute quarters). Even after I'd emptied my bench, the opposing coach insisted upon pressuring full-court for the remainder of the game. I found that to possibly be poor sportsmanship.

I also played against a squad in high school who built a big lead on us and in an effort to get a jam, an opposing player laid down in the backcourt out of sight so after we'd missed a shot, he could pop back up, catch an outlet, and attempt a dunk (he missed). I found that to be relatively poor sportsmanship, because of the whole laying down thing.

On the flip side, I've been part of a game where we were done for, down by 15+ late in the fourth quarter. We didn't give up. Nor did the other team. They forced a turnover and one of their players broke away for a power slam. Their crowd went nuts. Dude just earned himself a solid slam. I found absolutely nothing wrong with that, even when he could have easily held up and refused to shoot.

Basically, I think there's being a jerk and there's just playing until the final buzzer. Even if an opponent had a breakaway windmill against my squad after we were already down 25 with 10 seconds left, as long as he doesn't flex in front of my bench, grab his nuts, or laugh in every one of our faces, it's just him playing basketball. I won't like that we're getting slammed on, but I understand it.

In my opinion, it'd be unnecessarily fouling hard in a late game situation that'd be the poor sportsmanship, particularly if the offensive team is merely attempting to play through the final buzzer and not actively attempting to humiliate their opponent.

jlip
11-19-2012, 01:14 PM
He clearly meant no ill will, yet the announcers reacted as if he committed a felony.

I liked how Nate Robinson handled that.

ChrisPosh
11-19-2012, 01:51 PM
P*ssy ass Bulls players "O.M.G. did-did you just dunk..... IN A BASKETBALL GAME???!?!? :lebroncry: "

Fukk outta here with that sensitive princess attitude, wasn't like he was running up the court with his hands gesturing as if to pleasure himself

ZaaaaaH
11-19-2012, 01:56 PM
Funny thing is a week ago NOAH jacked up a 3 at the end of the game so the Bulls need to stfu.

iamgine
11-19-2012, 02:04 PM
I understand that's the reasoning. I'm saying, why is that the reasoning. Why and how did that somehow become established in the manner with which it did? I think it's a ridiculous unwritten rule and I'm often pleased when I see players fight such a preposterous concept.

Again, I'm not saying the floodgates should be open to players on winning teams yelling in opponent's faces, break dancing on the court, or grabbing a microphone with 15 seconds left and declaring, "These guys all suck." But a meaningless end-of-game bucket should have absolutely no repercussion. If nothing else, it's something for the fans, who again, are paying to see things like that.

It sort of reminds me of an incident a year or two ago when the Mavericks were winning by 10 or so with 20 seconds left. Their opponent was pressing the length of the floor, pressuring Dallas' point guard and really making him work. To assist, Brian Cardinal stepped up and set a screen on the defender. The opposition drew huge issue with Cardinal's play because they claimed the game was already decided.

Again, I understand it's part of the culture, I just think it's a terrible part of the culture and nearly makes zero sense, particularly in Lillard's case where he just put it in with two hands and pretty much ran up the floor with his head down.

Well it's just the culture. I don't think it's preposterous at all. There's attached meaning to the gesture in the NBA culture.

Just like giving a middle finger is disrespectful and people get very very offended by it. Why? It's just a finger and it has no repercussion. Why and how did that somehow become established in the manner with which it did?

KB2009Champ
11-19-2012, 02:06 PM
I liked how Nate Robinson handled that.

agreed. he went up to him and told him it was a no no.

case closed.

kid will learn.

not sure how noah can be mad at anyone though. this is the same guy shooting 3s at with the game over. don't care if it was to get the crowd chalupas or w/ever.

IGOTGAME
11-19-2012, 02:06 PM
The idea that this is limited to the NBA is absurd. I have seen kids flipped trying to go for dunks at the buzzer.

Burgz V2
11-19-2012, 02:08 PM
its always been thought of as disrespectful. absolutely no reason to do it and many reasons you shouldnt.

nate robinson class act.

chosen_one6
11-19-2012, 02:11 PM
For the same reason you pull your starters out when you're up by 20 with 5 minutes to go. It shows respect for your opponent, you lower the chance of injury, it shows you have class and aren't a showboat. This should be common sense.

Grinder
11-19-2012, 02:13 PM
Lillard's a class act, he obviously didn't mean to be disrespectful.

He explained that he thought the Bulls' players were going to try to steal the ball (www.youtube.com/watch?v=uWdqdU2rFSY)and he instinctively went for a dunk.

Either way, unless the game is a 30+ point blowout, I don't think playing out the final possession is offensive. In Europe, it's very common that teams winning the game play out the final possession.

no pun intended
11-19-2012, 02:14 PM
Up 10? Then shoot a three like Rondo.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gHT71ivKue4&feature=fvwrel

:banana:

Rake2204
11-19-2012, 02:17 PM
Well it's just the culture. I don't think it's preposterous at all. There's attached meaning to the gesture in the NBA culture.

Just like giving a middle finger is disrespectful and people get very very offended by it. Why? It's just a finger and it has no repercussion. Why and how did that somehow become established in the manner with which it did?Well, you make an interesting point, but I feel the middle finger developed an intended connotation throughout history. At some point, it was established in our culture that a person flipping someone off was an intended insult so the receiver of such a sign likely has to distinguish whether the intention is consistent with its history.

For instance, if I cut someone off in traffic and that person flips me off, I know what it means and they know what it means. They flip me off because their intention is to insult or object to my actions. On the contrary, if a baby flips me off because they're fascinated by their own developing motor function, I know what it can mean, but I understand an insult is likely not what that baby intended. More times than not though, if there's a confrontation of some kind and a middle finger is raised, the person using that finger is doing so with full intent of insulting the other party.

In the case of an end-of-game dunk, I'd venture to say most often, there's no ill will intended for the opposition, it's just players getting out and playing the game. They're dunking because it's fun, not because they're trying to piss off and offend the other team. As such, I think it's shortsighted for the opponent to always assume the worst case scenario.

I think the Lillard dunk is the perfect scenario. He just dunked. That's it. He didn't even do a fancy dunk (of which I'd still accept). He scored a random couple of points and the game ended. I think there's absolutely no reason this shouldn't have been a non-issue. Lillard should have slammed, the announcers should have maybe mentioned it, or maybe just kept wrapping the game up, "And so a quick bucket there and this one's just about in the books, the Blazers will take it..." and both teams should have retired to their respective locker rooms, more concerned with the other 47 minutes and 55 seconds of the game.

its always been thought of as disrespectful. absolutely no reason to do it and many reasons you shouldnt.

nate robinson class act.I really don't think it's always been thought of as disrespectful. It seems like it's developed a life of its own in recent history. I feel like it was often thought of as unnecessary, but people lived with it. To see the response the commentators gave Lillard's routine slam last night, you'd think he'd shot somebody.

On the flip side, I recently watched a Pistons/Spurs game from '95 that the Spurs won by 17. The game was never in doubt. San Antonio acquired possession with less than 20 seconds left and as the clock wound down toward zero, Vinny Del Negro shot and hit a 20 foot jumper at the buzzer. Not a single person flinched. And I'm not saying that's how games always were in the 90's. They didn't all end with the winning team dunking or shooting at the buzzer, but I do think the Del Negro reaction was much more logical and normal. There was a game being played and a player made a shot. That's the long and short of it. Again, had Del Negro done something obscene alongside, there'd be a problem. He didn't though, and neither did Lillard, and that is why I do not agree with the strange development and growth of this unwritten rule.

Edit: I also just read an article on Joakim Noah shooting a three pointer in hopes of winning his crowd free Big Macs. I think this is another fine example. It should be a non-story. Further, I cannot believe it's something the coach had to comment on and admit he talked to Noah in private about. He was attempting to please 20,000 yelling fans by playing basketball until the game ended, and now he has to issue a statement where he admits his regret and will never shoot a three pointer like that again? I feel like I'm taking crazy pills.

Sarcastic
11-19-2012, 02:23 PM
http://assets.sbnation.com/assets/968921/walldunk.gif

iamgine
11-19-2012, 02:43 PM
Well, you make an interesting point, but I feel the middle finger developed an intended connotation throughout history. At some point, it was established in our culture that a person flipping someone off was an intended insult so the receiver of such a sign likely has to distinguish whether the intention is consistent with its history.

For instance, if I cut someone off in traffic and that person flips me off, I know what it means and they know what it means. They flip me off because their intention is to insult or object to my actions. On the contrary, if a baby flips me off because they're fascinated by their own developing motor function, I know what it can mean, but I understand an insult is likely not what that baby intended. More times than not though, if there's a confrontation of some kind and a middle finger is raised, the person using that finger is doing so with full intent of insulting the other party.

In the case of an end-of-game dunk, I'd venture to say most often, there's no ill will intended for the opposition, it's just players getting out and playing the game. They're dunking because it's fun, not because they're trying to piss off and offend the other team. As such, I think it's shortsighted for the opponent to always assume the worst case scenario.

I think the Lillard dunk is the perfect scenario. He just dunked. That's it. He didn't even do a fancy dunk (of which I'd still accept). He scored a random couple of points and the game ended. I think there's absolutely no reason this shouldn't have been a non-issue. Lillard should have slammed, the announcers should have maybe mentioned it, or maybe just kept wrapping the game up, "And so a quick bucket there and this one's just about in the books, the Blazers will take it..." and both teams should have retired to their respective locker rooms, more concerned with the other 47 minutes and 55 seconds of the game.

What if you don't know and just start flipping everyone cause it's fun? Then afterwards someone told you that in American culture, it's not nice to do it. That's basically what happened to Lillard.

Rake2204
11-19-2012, 03:05 PM
What if you don't know and just start flipping everyone cause it's fun? Then afterwards someone told you that in American culture, it's not nice to do it. That's basically what happened to Lillard.That's sort of why I mentioned the receiver reasoning for intent. I've had friends flip me off and I know they didn't mean it seriously. I do not have to pull them aside and lecture them on American culture because they understand it already, they just clearly did not use it with malicious intent.

In Lillard's case, I will just about bet my life that he understands it's poor sportsmanship to make a mockery of the competition when you're winning. He just figured that a random, routine, and plain jane two-hand dunk had no business being taken offensively. It wasn't him mocking the Bulls, it was just him playing. It's more similarly comparable to me walking down the street at night and someone coming up to me and saying, "Just so you know, we don't do that here. It's just, people take it the wrong way. I know you didn't mean anything by it, but it's just culture."

Clutch
11-19-2012, 03:07 PM
http://assets.sbnation.com/assets/968921/walldunk.gif
Never gets old :lol

IGOTGAME
11-19-2012, 03:08 PM
P*ssy ass Bulls players "O.M.G. did-did you just dunk..... IN A BASKETBALL GAME???!?!? :lebroncry: "

Fukk outta here with that sensitive princess attitude, wasn't like he was running up the court with his hands gesturing as if to pleasure himself

I don't really care in that instance. But there are people who would hard foul him there. Regardless it was risky and not in the best interest of the team(he could have gotten hurt).

iamgine
11-19-2012, 03:15 PM
That's sort of why I mentioned the receiver reasoning for intent. I've had friends flip me off and I know they didn't mean it seriously. I do not have to pull them aside and lecture them on American culture because they understand it already, they just clearly did not use it with malicious intent.

In Lillard's case, I will just about bet my life that he understands it's poor sportsmanship to make a mockery of the competition when you're winning. He just figured that a random, routine, and plain jane two-hand dunk had no business being taken offensively. It wasn't him mocking the Bulls, it was just him playing. It's more similarly comparable to me walking down the street at night and someone coming up to me and saying, "Just so you know, we don't do that here. It's just, people take it the wrong way. I know you didn't mean anything by it, but it's just culture."
I guess when you flip people off, gotta be ready for them to get offended, even if you don't mean it. Lillard might not mean it, but the gesture is taken as disrespect, just like flipping people can be taken as disrespect.

elementally morale
11-19-2012, 03:35 PM
Interesting.

In my country, it is disrespectful not to score as many points as you can. All my coaches told us that showing respect starts with not toying with your opponent and that we should beat the opposing team by the most points possible. Sure, the starters were off the court at the end of a blowout game, but the reserves still had to score as many points as they could. Had any of my former coaches seen us not trying to score when there was a free lane to the basket, we would have been benched at that very moment.

Showing respect can vary from country to country, I guess.

WolfGang
11-19-2012, 04:23 PM
People are blowing this up because this is a rookie. If Kobe did this nobody would give half a shit. There is absolutely nothing wrong with what D'lil did. I've seen players play intense defense until the final seconds even though the game was over.

Nate Robinson has no right to confront D'lil about his actions. I would have brushed him off like "you ain't on my team niqqa." Don't lecture another team's players.

Rake2204
11-19-2012, 04:45 PM
I guess when you flip people off, gotta be ready for them to get offended, even if you don't mean it. Lillard might not mean it, but the gesture is taken as disrespect, just like flipping people can be taken as disrespect.Yeah, you are correct on that one, and that's kind of my whole point. I understand some people take it as a sign of disrespect, I just do not agree that they should.

It's strange to me because players will get T'd up for saying something vile to an official and the fans and commentators treat that as everyday stuff. Folks often don't seem to get too bent out of shape about that lack of sportsmanship. It's more or less just, "So Sheed gets a well-earned T and Allen will shoot the free throw. While we have this down time let us tell you about our upcoming promotion." Yet, it's an unexciting two hand dunk that really gets folks revved up. I'm not even sure the Rockets announcers responding to Lin getting hit in the face by Artest last night were as offended as the two fellows in the Lillard video.

It all sort of reminds me of the Dave Chappelle clip where he mentions how offended another person gets when he asks them who they're voting for, only for that guy to change the subject back to he and his wife's previous evening relations.

Interesting.

In my country, it is disrespectful not to score as many points as you can. All my coaches told us that showing respect starts with not toying with your opponent and that we should beat the opposing team by the most points possible. Sure, the starters were off the court at the end of a blowout game, but the reserves still had to score as many points as they could. Had any of my former coaches seen us not trying to score when there was a free lane to the basket, we would have been benched at that very moment.

Showing respect can vary from country to country, I guess.This actually makes a lot more sense to me. I feel intentionally forcing oneself not to score should have more of a possibility to embarrass than merely playing the entire game. To be honest, I'm fine with either option a team chooses. I've been in games where teams dribble out the clock and where they play until the final buzzer. If I had to be completely honest, I prefer the opposition play until the end, because I'd rather play for as long as possible (yes, even for those final, meaningless 30 seconds).

Anyway, in theory, I see where you're coming from, elementally. Intentionally not scoring anymore seems as if it could be just as offensive, as if the winning team feels they're so much better than you that they take pity. I feel like not just playing until the end of the game makes things unnecessarily complicated.

Segatti
11-19-2012, 04:59 PM
If I were him I would say to the press after the game: "I don't own shit to the chigago bulls organization. And I will dunk again in the end of the games as many times as I want".

That would be absolutely badass :pimp:

Rake2204
11-19-2012, 05:10 PM
If I were him I would say to the press after the game: "I don't own shit to the chigago bulls organization. And I will dunk again in the end of the games as many times as I want".

That would be absolutely badass :pimp:Ah yes, the NBA 2K13 MyPlayer arrogant response. That'll go over well with local fans and provide you a boost to team chemistry. Your league-wide popularity may take a hit though.

Derka
11-19-2012, 06:40 PM

That would be absolutely badass :pimp:

At which point I send in the biggest guy on my bench to clean him out the next time he gets near the rim. The more vulnerable, the better. I pay for my guy's fine and the money he'd lose for being suspended out of my own pocket.

Copperhead
11-19-2012, 07:41 PM
video?

No video but I found a very old link with some guys talking about it.

http://forums.lakersground.net/togo/thread.php?topic_id=20638&&start=50

ZenMaster
11-19-2012, 08:25 PM
Yeah, you are correct on that one, and that's kind of my whole point. I understand some people take it as a sign of disrespect, I just do not agree that they should.

I just think that when the losing team is nice enough to admit defeat and stop intentionally fouling for the 0.0000001% chance that they can win the game 14 down with 13 seconds to go, well then the offense should be nice enough to not go for the last unnecessary score.

The only time it's acceptable in tournaments where team score are just for tie-breakers.

bdreason
11-19-2012, 08:31 PM
I like Lillard but someone going to give him a hard foul in the next couple weeks.

Rake2204
11-19-2012, 08:46 PM
I just think that when the losing team is nice enough to admit defeat and stop intentionally fouling for the 0.0000001% chance that they can win the game 14 down with 13 seconds to go, well then the offense should be nice enough to not go for the last unnecessary score.

The only time it's acceptable in tournaments where team score are just for tie-breakers.I see where you're coming from with your specific example and I can agree there'd be times where dunking or scoring would just look weird. I would also agree that it's possible for winning teams to score late in contests with the intent of showing up the competition. However, it seems more times than not, guys are just scoring late because they either just want to score, they want to provide entertainment to the crowd, or they realize they're playing a game and shooting is what happens. In those cases, I do not believe shooting should be taken with offense.

To look specifically at this Lillard situation, it was a two possession game, Chicago missed a shot that would have made it a one possession game. The miss was rebounded and outletted to a streaking Lillard with one Bull haphazardly giving chase. Lillard finished with a bland dunk to make it a three possession game. In my opinion, if Chicago really didn't want their opponent to score anymore, they should have played real basketball until the buzzer.

Lillard attempting to score during a basketball game, without performing any theatrics, without talking trash, without anything that can logically be misconstrued as showing up the competition, should not result in a negative response or folks planning retribution of some kind, or suggesting he should have been taken out in a manner that'd go beyond the rules of basketball. It's a game, and he scored in the game.

Burgz V2
11-19-2012, 08:51 PM
I like Lillard but someone going to give him a hard foul in the next couple weeks.

this.

whether people think its right or not, it WILL rub players the wrong way and they DO remember these things.

Rake2204
11-19-2012, 09:09 PM
this.

whether people think its right or not, it WILL rub players the wrong way and they DO remember these things.You're probably correct. I mean, I'm hopeful some sense of sanity will prevail here, as his dunk was about as innocent as they come, but unfortunately for me (and maybe Lillard) people are just weird about this and I'm not sure it makes any sense.

Meanwhile, I just thought of a late-game play I would in fact deem unsportsmanlike. The Anthony Bowie incident, where he called a time-out with four seconds left in a blowout so he could have an opportunity to gain his 10th assist and earn a triple double. I think there's a big difference between a play like that and a play like Lillard's, who again just merely made an unspectacular dunk with absolutely no celebration or apparent enjoyment.

Yung D-Will
11-20-2012, 09:24 AM
I'm one of the few people who actually does that on Nba 2k online as well

Walker
11-20-2012, 09:43 AM
People are blowing this up because this is a rookie. If Kobe did this nobody would give half a shit. There is absolutely nothing wrong with what D'lil did. I've seen players play intense defense until the final seconds even though the game was over.

Nate Robinson has no right to confront D'lil about his actions. I would have brushed him off like "you ain't on my team niqqa." Don't lecture another team's players.
You're a fool and I'll tell you why.

The Bulls players easily could have got back. Tell me how there'd be nothing wrong if one of the Bulls got back, stood hunched under the ring, Lilliards feet catch the defenders body and he's goes ass over head crashing to the floor breaking his arm. Not such a great idea then huh?

TonyD
11-20-2012, 09:49 AM
Interesting.

Showing respect can vary from country to country, I guess.

It's that way in the US also, we're only talking about the last 5 seconds or less of a game with a team up 8+ and with possession. Just look at the Olympics earlier this year; the US were blowing teams out by 40+ early in the tournament and they kept playing hard because it would have been disrespectful not to.

WolfGang
11-20-2012, 10:54 AM
You're a fool and I'll tell you why.

The Bulls players easily could have got back. Tell me how there'd be nothing wrong if one of the Bulls got back, stood hunched under the ring, Lilliards feet catch the defenders body and he's goes ass over head crashing to the floor breaking his arm. Not such a great idea then huh?

If the Bulls players would have played harder D and got under the goal then Lillard wouldn't have tried to dunk because he isn't that type of player. He probably would have dribbled it out or took a safe jumpshot. At any moment in a game a player can fall and break something. If it happens it happens.

On another note, if I were Batum or Aldridge I wouldn't let anyone foul my boy Lillard because of what he did. I would make sure to return the favor to show other teams that we stick together. I think it poor sportsmanship to try and hurt a young player like Lillard compared to scoring extra points in a basketball game.

Players bitch too much. Let the boy play.