PDA

View Full Version : Division III G Jack Taylor drops 138 points

Mr. Incredible
11-20-2012, 11:28 PM
Shot 52 of 108 & 27 of 71 from 3.

:bowdown:

cuad
11-20-2012, 11:29 PM
lmao, I could score 138 if I jacked up 71 threes in one game.

Mr. Incredible
11-20-2012, 11:30 PM
lmao, I could score 138 if I jacked up 71 threes in one game.Who is his coach to let this kid shoot that many times :roll:

pauk
11-20-2012, 11:36 PM
Is there even time enough in a game for a single guy to take that many shots?

Real Men Wear Green
11-20-2012, 11:36 PM
I'm not sure I could deal with playing with a guy that took 100 shots. Think about what that would be like.

KG215
11-20-2012, 11:37 PM
Wait, this was in one game? How in the hell is it even possible for one player to get up 108 shots in one game? Who was he playing against?

Rake2204
11-20-2012, 11:38 PM
Haha, this is spectacular. Grinnell strikes again.

Wait, this was in one game? How in the hell is it even possible for one player to get up 108 shots in one game? Who was he playing against?If you are not familiar, I would suggest researching Grinnell College's system.

IGotACoolStory
11-20-2012, 11:39 PM
Holy shit, my arm would fall off if I shot that many times in a game.

Unless I completely ignored the defensive aspect.

StroShow4
11-20-2012, 11:40 PM
How the hell are you gonna score 138 points and not even shoot 50%?

MetsPackers
11-20-2012, 11:41 PM
wow smh 71 threes? Guy must have beeb trying to score 100+ right out the tunnel

outbreak
11-20-2012, 11:42 PM
Played 36 minutes. how the hell did that happen. His team scored 179 too lol.

pauk
11-20-2012, 11:43 PM
Even Kobe would think that this was kindof selfish :)

(j/k)

Rake2204
11-20-2012, 11:44 PM
For the uninitiated, here's at least a piece of what Grinnell shoots for:

It's a "run and gun" offense with offensive possessions often lasting only five seconds in duration (12 seconds at the most), usually resulting in a 3-point shot. Grinnell tries to get over 100 shots per game and over 50 - 60% of those as 3-point shots. They crash the offensive boards with four rebounders, going for the long rebound off missed 3-point shots.

Defensively, Grinnell full-court presses the entire game, using several press defenses, forcing the tempo, trying to create turnovers. They usually force about 28 turnovers per game, but their goal is 32. These forced turnovers often result in easy baskets in transition. Half-court defense is not a huge priority... opponents may score in the half-court, but Coach Arseneault believes his team can simply out-score them using their offensive system and their press defenses.

Of his 15 players, Coach Arseneault will typically have 4 - 6 squads of five players (various 5-player combinations) that he uses. He will substitute five new players every two minutes or so, keeping fresh legs in the game at all times, wearing the opponent down by the end of the game. Many players will get playing time and no-one plays the entire game. You will need two or three good point-guards who can score, otherwise forget this system.

There's a high school coach around my way who runs the system, but with much less success. His team shot 4% from the arc on like, 50 attempts against my brother's school.

Money 23
11-20-2012, 11:44 PM
Honestly, if I shot that much ... regardless of scoring 138 points, on less than 50% shooting.

I'd feel utterly embarrassed for alienating teammates. I'd feel selfish just looking at the score board.

irondarts
11-20-2012, 11:46 PM
Here's the box score. lol.

https://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash4/417090_10151117977256006_1060693915_n.png

Rake2204
11-20-2012, 11:47 PM
Honestly, if I shot that much ... regardless of scoring 138 points, on less than 50% shooting.

I'd feel utterly embarrassed for alienating teammates. I'd feel selfish just looking at the score board.Under normal circumstances, perhaps. In the Grinnell system though, firing at will is everyday living.

outbreak
11-20-2012, 11:47 PM
that system sounds like my 2k assocation

Money 23
11-20-2012, 11:49 PM
Under normal circumstances, perhaps. In the Grinnell system though, firing at will is everyday living.
Come on ...

The next closest player shot 5 shots. You can't condone this type of basketball.

DuMa
11-20-2012, 11:49 PM
0 assists :lol

Patrick Chewing
11-20-2012, 11:50 PM
Just read that team doctors reported that his right arm fell off while in the shower.

KG215
11-20-2012, 11:51 PM
Ohhh...he did at Grinnell. Ok, that makes sense. I remember an ESPN Magazine article on them a few years back. I can see how he got that many shots off in that system.

dilley
11-20-2012, 11:53 PM
I can't even score 138 points with one dude in 2k13. Man I suck.

noob cake
11-20-2012, 11:53 PM
Kobe would score 300 in that system.

KG215
11-20-2012, 11:54 PM
Haha, this is spectacular. Grinnell strikes again.

If you are not familiar, I would suggest researching Grinnell College's system.
Yeah, I didn't realize he did it for Grinnell. After that ESPN Magazine article I read (5+ years ago) it piqued my interest, so I did some research and read more about them.

Rake2204
11-20-2012, 11:55 PM
Come on ...

The next closest player shot 5 shots. You can't condone this type of basketball.I think it'd be a heckuva system to be a part of, or at least something worth experiencing for a bit. I mean, it's zany, but this guy was undoubtedly doing what he was instructed to do. If they've got a gunner, they'll have him gun. He wasn't a rogue agent hogging the rock. The system is unique enough to not really leave the door open for people to be upset about their shots or role.

I like seeing teams in all sports employing strategies deemed non-traditional and unique. The fact Grinnell's won a bit with this system only seems to vindicate it.

Money 23
11-20-2012, 11:58 PM
I think it'd be a heckuva system to be a part of, or at least something worth experiencing for a bit. I mean, it's zany, but this guy was undoubtedly doing what he was instructed to do. If they've got a gunner, they'll have him gun. He wasn't a rogue agent hogging the rock. The system is unique enough to not really leave the door open for people to be upset about their shots or role.
You don't think anyone is salty they only shot 5 shots, even though some shmuck shot 71 three pointers?

Come on, I don't care how zany ... you still find ways to get someone else the ball at times.

Court Vision
11-21-2012, 12:02 AM
http://pioneers.grinnell.edu/images/2012/10/25/MBB-8046-TAYLOR.jpg

Rake2204
11-21-2012, 12:04 AM
You don't think anyone is salty they only shot 5 shots, even though some shmuck shot 71 three pointers?

Come on, I don't care how zany ... you still find ways to get someone else the ball at times.I really don't mean this offensively, but I'm not sure we're completely at an understanding of the system they employ. There's not really a time or place to be worried about shots. No one steps into Grinnell's basketball program not knowing things are going to be more different than they ever imagined.

Moreover, their goal is to shoot as quickly as possible. That means, more than likely, Jack getting this many shots was pre-meditated by the team and definitely not something he decided to take upon himself. It's not like a regular game where most players touch the ball each possession and have an opportunity to decided whether or not to shoot.

Here's one clip of how things look in a typical Grinnell contest: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EZgKFLadcfM

Edwin
11-21-2012, 12:07 AM
This reminds of when I used to ball in my elementary school yard basketball court. We were all a bunch of balls hogs and would fight for rebounds and dribble and jack up shots without hardly passing the ball.

IGOTGAME
11-21-2012, 12:10 AM
I really don't mean this offensively, but I'm not sure we're completely at an understanding of the system they employ. There's not really a time or place to be worried about shots. No one steps into Grinnell's basketball program not knowing things are going to be more different than they ever imagined.

Moreover, their goal is to shoot as quickly as possible. That means, more than likely, Jack getting this many shots was pre-meditated by the team and definitely not something he decided to take upon himself. It's not like a regular game where most players touch the ball each possession and have an opportunity to decided whether or not to shoot.

Here's one clip of how things look in a typical Grinnell contest: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EZgKFLadcfM
My girls college team ran this offense(we traveled together so I saw prob 50 games of this). They lead all schools in scoring. I have picked the coaches brain several times. Looks like it was done on purpose. Also, traditionally the system at Grinnel has line changes. Looks like he altered it because guy played 36 minutes. Regardless, seems like a lot of shots for this offense.

Miller for 3
11-21-2012, 12:12 AM
http://pioneers.grinnell.edu/images/2012/10/25/MBB-8046-TAYLOR.jpg

:bowdown: :bowdown:

Prime MJ and Wilt can't hold a candle to this GOAT among men :bowdown: :bowdown:

He scored more points in one game than Lebron has scored in all of the 4th quarters combined in his entire career

Just2McFly
11-21-2012, 12:13 AM
Not even one assist?:biggums:

I would be ashamed. He wasn't even HOT.

Rake2204
11-21-2012, 12:14 AM
My girls college team ran this offense(we traveled together so I saw prob 50 games of this). They lead all schools in scoring. I have picked the coaches brain several times. Looks like it was done on purpose. Also, traditionally the system at Grinnel has line changes. Looks like he altered it because guy played 36 minutes. Regardless, seems like a lot of shots for this offense.Good stuff. I read another article a few years ago about a season at Grinnell where they fell out of contention, so the coach and team decided to set a few NCAA records as their end-of-season goals, specifically a few scoring records for their top shooter. So, planned records seems well within the realm of possibility here. I was thinking the same thing when I saw the 36 minutes.

IGOTGAME
11-21-2012, 12:17 AM
Good stuff. I read another article a few years ago about a season at Grinnell where they fell out of contention, so the coach and team decided to set a few NCAA records as their end-of-season goals, specifically a few scoring records for their top shooter. So, planned records seems well within the realm of possibility here. I was thinking the same thing when I saw the 36 minutes.

Personally, I disagree with the style. But it is good for recruiting and the teams have a ton of fun. On thing I hated was that they would run schools off the court and never slow up. It would be 130 to 39 with 45 seconds left and he would have these girls full court pressing.

ihoopallday
11-21-2012, 12:22 AM
Am I the only person who finds this impressive? He still had to make those shots he was putting up.

Rake2204
11-21-2012, 12:23 AM
Here's video of what the previous Grinnell record looked like (Lentsch's 89 points): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4nIQVxbKhRw

Has to be a weird feeling to drop 89... only to have your record broken by almost 40 a year later.

outbreak
11-21-2012, 12:44 AM
Apparently a guy on the other team hit 34/44 fga. that's pretty impressive shooting.

Court Vision
11-21-2012, 12:45 AM
Am I the only person who finds this impressive? He still had to make those shots he was putting up.

He was 38% from 3.

It's okay.

ace23
11-21-2012, 12:47 AM
He was 38% from 3.

It's okay.
38% at that volume, when you take fatigue into account is insane.

Rake2204
11-21-2012, 12:49 AM
Apparently a guy on the other team hit 34/44 fga. that's pretty impressive shooting.Well another aspect of the Grinnell system is they're awfully willing to give up a free bucket in the half court, so the opposition's statistics also tend to bloat when they play. Grinnell's goal is pretty much to force a turnover with their full court pressure. If that fails, they'll often concede a two point basket just so they can quickly come the other way and fire another triple and get back into their defensive pressure. The idea is to out score the opposition through turnovers and shear volume.

Personally, I disagree with the style. But it is good for recruiting and the teams have a ton of fun. On thing I hated was that they would run schools off the court and never slow up. It would be 130 to 39 with 45 seconds left and he would have these girls full court pressing.Ha, that ties in pretty well to a discussion I was having on this website yesterday (regarding Damian Lillard's end-of-game dunk). I feel the system is known well enough for coaches and players to understand that it's something that's going to occur for the duration of the game. There's no off button. Down is up. Black is white. All bets are off. I'd have to believe most teams know full well that when a Grinnell system team runs to the end, it's nothing remotely close to being unsportsmanlike, it's just the system being the system. It's based upon being able to play a mega speed for the duration of a contest, no ifs, ands, or buts.

That said, contrary to the Lillard discussion yesterday, a terribly outmatched college opponent drawing issue with a full court press late in a contest is quite understandable to me. I feel like if any team but one with a Grinnell type system were pulling it off, it'd be a rightful issue. You mentioned the 130-39 example. I could see where some would have an issue. If I were the coach of the team with 39 though, I'd understand that's just how the system operates.

TheBigVeto
11-21-2012, 12:54 AM
I'm not sure I could deal with playing with a guy that took 100 shots. Think about what that would be like.

It's like playing with Kobe.

Folks, this is why scoring a lot of points is not always a sign of greatness. 138 or 81, against weak competition, plus a license to shoot unlimited number of shots, anybody can score a lot with that.

swi7ch
11-21-2012, 01:02 AM
Heat better get him soon.

kNicKz
11-21-2012, 01:02 AM
Everyone on this site is a Rucker legend

sekachu
11-21-2012, 01:03 AM

Basketball ruinate trend :lol

bluechox2
11-21-2012, 02:05 AM
if he has passed on half those missed 3's they could have scored 200 total

Jameerthefear
11-21-2012, 02:06 AM
I just really don't understand this...

AngelEyes
11-21-2012, 03:40 AM
This shouldn't be regarded as anything but embarrassing. The game was not meant to played in this fashion.

bdreason
11-21-2012, 04:05 AM
If someone was full court pressing my team at the end of a game with a huge lead... someone would be getting laid out. I couldn't care less about the "system" they are running. Sportsmanship is sportsmanship, and the response to poor sportsmanship is someone getting laid out on the floor.

Sarcastic
11-21-2012, 04:13 AM
He couldn't score 2 points in the NBA.

Might as well be some dude chucking at the YMCA.

andremiller07
11-21-2012, 04:14 AM
Man he must have insane stamina i mean id get tired just shooting 100+ shots without running, to me his stamina is the most impressive thing about all of this. How good is divi III college ball?

Haymaker
11-21-2012, 04:15 AM
http://pioneers.grinnell.edu/images/2012/10/25/MBB-8046-TAYLOR.jpg Someone please create a smiley. :cheers:

TheGreatBlaze
11-21-2012, 04:42 AM
That burst of speed by #24 at the 55 second mark if this clip was very impressive to me. I don't know if I've ever seen anyone make a drive that fast.

KG215
11-21-2012, 04:47 AM
Man he must have insane stamina i mean id get tired just shooting 100+ shots without running, to me his stamina is the most impressive thing about all of this. How good is divi III college ball?
I guess it just depends and, to be honest, I have no idea. I do know the DIII school close to where I'm from was alright. The guys that play(ed) there weren't even necessarily the best or second best player on their high school team, but were/are still really good solid basketball players. If anything, most of them are skilled players with a really good understanding of the game. Even when they come out on the court they don't look much different than a high school team size wise. They'll have a few bigs in the 6'5"-6'7" range and a lot of guards in the 5'10"-6'2"ish range.

It probably varies greatly since I'm guessing there's a ton of DIII schools around the country. I'm guessing some teams field a roster that could be somewhat competitive at a higher level, and obviously there's DIII players that absolutely could at least hack it at a higher level.

Of course that school isn't ever nationally competitive and DIII schools can't give out athletic scholarships.

HaNdLe ThE RoCk
11-21-2012, 06:15 AM
I'm going to ignore the 0 assist part because that is horrid but the fact the he scored 138 points and I dont care if he shot 102 shots is still impressive. Division 3 basketball is a straight joke though.

Rake2204
11-21-2012, 09:59 AM
if he has passed on half those missed 3's they could have scored 200 totalIf he passed the ball on half of those threes, that would have been time wasted and it arguably would have worked against their own system. The first semi-clean look goes up.

I think it'd be a strange, yet welcomed adjustment to be able to play basketball and never think twice about one's own shot selection. There's not a lot of "within the flow" or "let's work it around". It's, "if you've got a shot, take it, immediately."

This shouldn't be regarded as anything but embarrassing. The game was not meant to played in this fashion.I respectfully disagree. I think it's wonderful to know the game can be successfully toggled in such a manner; that the "same old" isn't the only way we'll ever be able to see a team get the job done. It's encouraging to know there's room for very unique strategies.

It sort of reminds me of a high school football coach I read about from the Arkansas area. He never punts, ever. He crunched a giant amount of data and came to the conclusion that it makes more sense for his team to take that extra down every drive and attempt to proceed up the field instead of willfully giving up possession, even if they're within their own 10 yard line. His strategy worked, as his team became state champions. However, even with data and logic to back up his reasons for not punting, there's still folks out there who claim he's an idiot not playing the game as it's intended to be played. I think the resistance to innovation, particularly when it's been proven successful, is short sighted.

Here's an article on the football coach: http://highschool.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=892888

IGOTGAME
11-21-2012, 10:08 AM
I'm going to ignore the 0 assist part because that is horrid but the fact the he scored 138 points and I dont care if he shot 102 shots is still impressive. Division 3 basketball is a straight joke though.
They so beat D1 teams every year tho.

Dro
11-21-2012, 10:34 AM
If he passed the ball on half of those threes, that would have been time wasted and it arguably would have worked against their own system. The first semi-clean look goes up.

I think it'd be a strange, yet welcomed adjustment to be able to play basketball and never think twice about one's own shot selection. There's not a lot of "within the flow" or "let's work it around". It's, "if you've got a shot, take it, immediately."

I respectfully disagree. I think it's wonderful to know the game can be successfully toggled in such a manner; that the "same old" isn't the only way we'll ever be able to see a team get the job done. It's encouraging to know there's room for very unique strategies.

It sort of reminds me of a high school football coach I read about from the Arkansas area. He never punts, ever. He crunched a giant amount of data and came to the conclusion that it makes more sense for his team to take that extra down every drive and attempt to proceed up the field instead of willfully giving up possession, even if they're within their own 10 yard line. His strategy worked, as his team became state champions. However, even with data and logic to back up his reasons for not punting, there's still folks out there who claim he's an idiot not playing the game as it's intended to be played. I think the resistance to innovation, particularly when it's been proven successful, is short sighted.

Here's an article on the football coach: http://highschool.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=892888
i agree...this is no different than running a no huddle...its up to the defense to stop them

kNIOKAS
11-21-2012, 11:07 AM
Just slap him on a wrist couple times when he's shooting, deal sorted. It seems the other team was such a *******.

Rake2204
11-21-2012, 12:10 PM
The Sportscenter interview is cracking me up.

They asked about his shot total:

"Um, well we played in a tournament last weekend and I hadn't shot the ball very well, so coming into the game tonight, it was definitely a focus of our team to try to get me going offensively a little bit before we get into conference play."
Getting going offensively a little bit = 108 shot attempts.

When he realized something special was going on:

"Um, I thought I only had about 30 points at halftime. But coach came in and told me I had 58 and the team was uh, really excited about that and um, wanted to continue giving me the ball."Nothing like feeling like you have 30 and finding out you actually have 58... at half.

Another golden line, from the host:

"I understand you were averaging 24 points before tonight's game. Now you're averaging 61."

Also, top comment raises an interesting point. How often can someone score 70 (as a player on the opposing team did) and get absolutely no publicity?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yCcVpYV3JlE&feature=g-high-f

stax
11-21-2012, 12:52 PM
Someone please create a smiley. :cheers:

http://i.imgur.com/vO4Ma.png

IGOTGAME
11-21-2012, 12:57 PM
No way in hell this happens if I was guarding him. The players on the other team have no respect from me.

KG215
11-21-2012, 12:59 PM

That also played a big part in costing him a state championship in my opinion 5 or 6 years ago. They lost in the state finals by one or two points (think it was something like 46-45 or 47-45) and there were three or four instances where he went for it on 4th and long backed up fairly deep in his own territory and they didn't convert.

Barring what would be a fairly big upset this Friday, his team will be playing for another state championship in a couple of weeks, though. They scored 77 points in the state quarterfinals last week, and have had five other games where they've scored 50+ which is impressive, because in Arkansas once you're ahead by 35+ points in the second half the mercy rule goes into effect and the rest of the game is played with a running clock. I'd have to go back and look, but I'd venture to guess his teams average 40-45 PPG and have multiple 50+ and 60+ point games every year. I know that's not quite the same as a team jacking up 100+ shots a game in basketball because there's high school football teams all around the country doing what this coach does, but his system is still fun to watch.

Jasper
11-21-2012, 01:00 PM
It's incredible what Wisconsin players achieve :D

Rake2204
11-21-2012, 01:08 PM
That also played a big part in costing him a state championship in my opinion 5 or 6 years ago. They lost in the state finals by one or two points (think it was something like 46-45 or 47-45) and there were three or four instances where he went for it on 4th and long backed up fairly deep in his own territory and they didn't convert.

Barring what would be a fairly big upset this Friday, his team will be playing for another state championship in a couple of weeks, though. They scored 77 points in the state quarterfinals last week, and have had five other games where they've scored 50+ which is impressive, because in Arkansas once you're ahead by 35+ points in the second half the mercy rule goes into effect and the rest of the game is played with a running clock.Without going insanely deep into this, depending on how the rest of that 46-45 game went early on, I feel it might be possible to argue his system may have been a reason as to why they were in the state finals and so close to victory to begin with.

Of course, I say that with exactly zero knowledge of the game for which you're speaking. I'm just saying, when you've got a strategy and it's established and it works for your team, I think it's not really something you can randomly go against toward the end of a championship game. Perhaps the four available downs is what allowed them to score as much as they did. And perhaps had they punted, the opposing team would have scored anyway. It's not an unbeatable system. It doesn't always work, but it is what it is.

Also, I didn't initially see you'd added more to your post, so I appreciate the additional information.

KG215
11-21-2012, 01:24 PM
Without going insanely deep into this, depending on how the rest of that 46-45 game went early on, I feel it might be possible to argue his system may have been a reason as to why they were in the state finals and so close to victory to begin with.

Of course, I say that with exactly zero knowledge of the game for which you're speaking. I'm just saying, when you've got a strategy and it's established and it works for your team, I think it's not really something you can randomly go against toward the end of a championship game. Perhaps the four available downs is what allowed them to score as much as they did. And perhaps had they punted, the opposing team would have scored anyway. It's not an unbeatable system. It doesn't always work, but it is what it is.

Also, I didn't initially see you'd added more to your post, so I appreciate the additional information.
No it was definitely the reason, it just played a role in that particular state championship game in them losing. But the team they lost to had current Arkansas QB Tyler Wilson and they could put up points in a hurry themselves. Just looked it up, and the score was 56-55, so they lost by a point. You could also argue that in that particular game, it wouldn't have mattered if they punted or not, because the team they were playing was probably going to score anyway. But there was at last once or twice where they were backed up pretty far in their own territory, on 4th and long, and I couldn't believe they went for it.

I believe in the state semi-finals last year they jumped out to something like a 30-0 lead in the first quarter before the other team's offense ever took the field, because they recovered 4 or 5 straight onside kicks to start the game. Their coach does some unconventional stuff, but it wins them a ton of games, and they may be getting to repeat as state champs.

They've had a couple or three games this year where they'd come out a little flat, and it'd be something like 14-7 or 21-14 late in the second quarter or early third quarter, then you'd see the final score, and they ended up winning 56-21.

NumberSix
11-21-2012, 01:27 PM
Short white guys

Rake2204
11-21-2012, 01:40 PM
No it was definitely the reason, it just played a role in that particular state championship game in them losing. But the team they lost to had current Arkansas QB Tyler Wilson and they could put up points in a hurry themselves. Just looked it up, and the score was 56-55, so they lost by a point. You could also argue that in that particular game, it wouldn't have mattered if they punted or not, because the team they were playing was probably going to score anyway. But there was at last once or twice where they were backed up pretty far in their own territory, on 4th and long, and I couldn't believe they went for it.

I believe in the state semi-finals last year they jumped out to something like a 30-0 lead in the first quarter before the other team's offense ever took the field, because they recovered 4 or 5 straight onside kicks to start the game. Their coach does some unconventional stuff, but it wins them a ton of games, and they may be getting to repeat as state champs.

They've had a couple or three games this year where they'd come out a little flat, and it'd be something like 14-7 or 21-14 late in the second quarter or early third quarter, then you'd see the final score, and they ended up winning 56-21.Yeah I kind of forgot to account for the onside kicks. I read some stat from one of those articles that, on average, the opposing team was starting their drives from the 33 on kickoffs and from their own 47 via onside kick, a mere 14 yard difference. It seems like a solid risk to take when looking at it like that.

NumberSix
11-21-2012, 01:41 PM
Here's the box score. lol.

https://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash4/417090_10151117977256006_1060693915_n.png
OMG, look at the assist column.:roll:

swi7ch
11-21-2012, 01:48 PM
71 3-pt FG attempts! :roll:

AlphaWolf24
11-21-2012, 01:53 PM
who cares??

what is most important is.....

what was his........

FG%

inclinerator
11-21-2012, 02:49 PM
who cares??

what is most important is.....

what was his........

FG%

about kobe's career average

Godzuki
11-21-2012, 03:40 PM

its not that bad, at least not like other sports D3 bad. thing about basketball i think is a lot of idiots play it who might be good on the court but bad at school, and somehow they can get into junior college or D3 schools and ball there. i played with someone who played at a D3 school and he had game. tall ass white guy who could do 360 dunks. i was shocked how athletic he was given his size.

It's A VC3!!!
11-21-2012, 04:02 PM
We shouldn't be talking about this guy. 99% of the world can score an enormous amount of points with that many shot attempts. Let's talk about the player on the opposing team who scored 70 points on 30/44 shooting. that's pretty impressive.

IGOTGAME
11-21-2012, 04:03 PM
its not that bad, at least not like other sports D3 bad. thing about basketball i think is a lot of idiots play it who might be good on the court but bad at school, and somehow they can get into junior college or D3 schools and ball there. i played with someone who played at a D3 school and he had game. tall ass white guy who could do 360 dunks. i was shocked how athletic he was given his size.

D3 academics are much higher on average than D1. Most D1 kids whomarent NBA prospects could benefit by leveraging their talents to get into a superior D3 or Ivy.

Dictator
11-21-2012, 04:06 PM
Does he still have arms? :lol

DStebb716
11-21-2012, 04:13 PM
this is a disgrace to the game of basketball.

All Net
11-21-2012, 04:36 PM
Call him sir jack says Lebron

mark
11-21-2012, 04:40 PM

I played at Iowa Wesleyan, we never played them. 138 is not uncommon in Iowa.
Amazing he got a quote from Kobe

ace23
11-21-2012, 05:38 PM
You sure you're not talking about D2? D3 schools usually have higher academic standards, and they don't offer scholarships, so you have to be close to par academically with the regular student body if you want to get in.

The academic standards for D2 are lower than those for D1, so I'm thinking you're getting D2 and D3 confused.

Pretty sure MIT is the top ranked D3 basketball school at the moment.

icewill36
11-21-2012, 06:19 PM
kobe system

Jasper
11-21-2012, 07:11 PM
NOT goin' to look at 80 posts ... here is a vid and interview
http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/8660373/lebron-james-kobe-bryant-awe-jack-taylor-138-point-night

Rojogaqu11
11-21-2012, 07:38 PM
Where is that "your welcome"kobe pic when you need it?

Draz
11-21-2012, 07:44 PM
Just read that team doctors reported that his right arm fell off while in the shower.
:cheers: :roll: :roll:

KG215
11-21-2012, 07:53 PM
You sure you're not talking about D2? D3 schools usually have higher academic standards, and they don't offer scholarships, so you have to be close to par academically with the regular student body if you want to get in.

The academic standards for D2 are lower than those for D1, so I'm thinking you're getting D2 and D3 confused.

Pretty sure MIT is the top ranked D3 basketball school at the moment.
Yeah...this. D3 schools usually have pretty tough admission standards. Basketball talent can be pretty "meh" compared to D2 and especially D1, but academically a lot of them are as good or better than D1 schools.

There's some D2 teams and players, though, that can play. Those are the types of schools that usually get the "not quite big enough" or "not quite athletic enough" for D1 players, or guys who didn't have the high school academic requirements to go D1; although the latter is usually when players go the JUCO route. Not saying there aren't those type of players and teams in D3, but the quality of D2 basketball is more legit.

Only former D3 NBA player I can think of off the top of my head is Devean George.

Just2McFly
11-21-2012, 08:01 PM
"(Taylor) must have been wearing the Mambas, man. Only Mambas have no conscience to shoot the ball that much," Bryant said.

:roll: :roll: :roll:

TheBigVeto
11-21-2012, 08:06 PM
No way in hell this happens if I was guarding him. The players on the other team have no respect from me.

LOL sure.

Dude probably shit on you and dropped 50 more points.

FreezingTsmoove
11-21-2012, 08:16 PM

:oldlol: :oldlol: :oldlol: yeah you can guard a guy who just dropped 138 points and is probably going to be in a D1 college next year

IGOTGAME
11-21-2012, 08:29 PM
LOL sure.

Dude probably shit on you and dropped 50 more points.

The coach did this to get headlines. He picked a good player on the team and told his teammates to let him shoot as many shots as possible. His teammates aren't bad. There is a guy on the bench that dropped 89 last year. This is what that coach and system does.

He was smart to do this against an inferior religious school. It wouldn't work against someone with superior talent and a worst team would have fouled the shit outta him or someone on the team. Try that on the East Coast.

Again, this was designed. The team he played was horrible.

webberz0044
11-21-2012, 08:35 PM
I used to play with someone like that. He would shoot the ball every time he touched it, regardless of how wide open we were or how many people were guarding him. Major difference was that he completely sucked compared to that kid.

VegasLakerFan
11-21-2012, 08:57 PM
138 on 108 shots? And he made less than half?
Ehh...

TheBigVeto
11-21-2012, 09:04 PM
Again, this was designed. The team he played was horrible.

So was the Raptors.
That didn't stop Lakers fans from hailing Kobe's overrated 81 points.

Rake2204
11-21-2012, 11:10 PM
We shouldn't be talking about this guy. 99% of the world can score an enormous amount of points with that many shot attempts. Let's talk about the player on the opposing team who scored 70 points on 30/44 shooting. that's pretty impressive.I think the 70 on 34/44 shooting is fool's gold. Again, per Grinnell's play style, they'll full court trap and look to force a turnover. If they cannot force a turnover, they'll often more or less concede a two point shot. I would presume that bushels full of that guy's 70 were mostly uncontested layups. Grinnell's system operates under the belief that two point buckets are fine, because Grinnell will just end up forcing enough turnovers to shoot way more than them (and make more), with a lot of them being three pointers.

Meanwhile, 138 is 138, with 100+ shots or not. I mean, it's not equal to dropping 100 in an NBA game. But I think shooting 100 shots and making enough to cop 138 would be borderline exhausting, particularly while playing on a team like Grinnell. It's definitely a heck of an accomplishment.

ZenMaster
11-22-2012, 02:09 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NHsjK2mQ_Zg&feature=g-high-f

LBJFTW
11-22-2012, 09:11 PM
They press and shoot 3s better than anyone in the country at any level of play. Out of the last 19 season's they've led the nation in scoring for 17 of those seasons. Suffice to say, it's a good system.

Taylor averaged 3 points per minute. That's insane.

But I think shooting 100 shots and making enough to cop 138 would be borderline exhausting, particularly while playing on a team like Grinnell. It's definitely a heck of an accomplishment.

It would undoubtedly be exhausting, and only a conditioned player under that particular system could pull it off. This is one of the best performances ever, on any level, in the history of the game. Most players arms would have fallen off after 70 shots. This kid even under all that fatigue compensated for it and dropped 138. Game over.