PDA

View Full Version : 'Earth-Shaking' News Coming From Mars Soon?

DonDadda59
11-21-2012, 04:40 PM
Big News From Mars? Rover Scientists Mum For Now
by JOE PALCA

http://media.npr.org/assets/img/2012/11/19/curiosity_five_scoops_custom-e7d58a8a6327a41a8dd0abb63a486393b63ef873-s2.jpg
NASA's Mars rover Curiosity dug up five scoops of sand from a patch nicknamed "Rocknest." A suite of instruments called SAM analyzed Martian soil samples, but the findings have not yet been released.

Scientists working on NASA's six-wheeled rover on Mars have a problem. But it's a good problem.

They have some exciting new results from one of the rover's instruments. On the one hand, they'd like to tell everybody what they found, but on the other, they have to wait because they want to make sure their results are not just some fluke or error in their instrument.

It's a bind scientists frequently find themselves in, because by their nature, scientists like to share their results. At the same time, they're cautious because no one likes to make a big announcement and then have to say "never mind."

The exciting results are coming from an instrument in the rover called SAM. "We're getting data from SAM as we sit here and speak, and the data looks really interesting," John Grotzinger, the principal investigator for the rover mission, says during my visit last week to his office at NASA's Jet Propulsion Laboratory in Pasadena, Calif. That's where data from SAM first arrive on Earth. "The science team is busily chewing away on it as it comes down," says Grotzinger.

SAM is a kind of miniature chemistry lab. Put a sample of Martian soil or rock or even air inside SAM, and it will tell you what the sample is made of.

Grotzinger says they recently put a soil sample in SAM, and the analysis shows something earthshaking. "This data is gonna be one for the history books. It's looking really good," he says.

Grotzinger can see the pained look on my face as I wait, hoping he'll tell me what the heck he's found, but he's not providing any more information.

So why doesn't Grotzinger want to share his exciting news? The main reason is caution. Grotzinger and his team were almost stung once before. When SAM analyzed an air sample, it looked like there was methane in it, and at least here on Earth, some methane comes from living organisms.

But Grotzinger says they held up announcing the finding because they wanted to be sure they were measuring Martian air, and not air brought along from the rover's launchpad at Cape Canaveral.

"We knew from the very beginning that we had this risk of having brought air from Florida. And we needed to diminish it and then make the measurement again," he says. And when they made the measurement again, the signs of methane disappeared.

Grotzinger says it will take several weeks before he and his team are ready to talk about their latest finding. In the meantime he'll fend off requests from pesky reporters, and probably from NASA brass as well. Like any big institution, NASA would love to trumpet a major finding, especially at a time when budget decisions are being made. Nothing succeeds like success, as the saying goes.

Richard Zare, a chemist at Stanford University, appreciates the uncomfortable position John Grotzinger is in. He's been there. In 1996, he was part of a team that reported finding organic compounds in a meteorite from Mars that landed in Antarctica. When the news came out, it caused a huge sensation because finding organic compounds in a Martian rock suggested the possibility at least that there was once life on Mars.

"You're bursting with a feeling that you want to share this information, and it's frustrating when you feel you can't talk about it, "says Zare.

It wasn't scientific caution that kept Zare from announcing his results. It was a rule many scientific journals enforce that says scientists are not allowed to talk about their research until the day it's officially published. Zare had to follow the rules if he wanted his paper to come out.

He did break down and tell his family. "I remember at the dinner table with great excitement explaining to my wife, Susan, and my daughter, Bethany, what it was we were doing," says Zare. And then he experienced something many parents can relate to when talking to their kids.

"Bethany looked at me and said, 'pass the ketchup.' So, not everybody was as excited as I was," he says.

Zare says in a way, scientists are like artists. Sharing what they do is a big part of why they get out of bed in the morning.

"How many composers would actually compose music if they were told no one else could listen to their compositions? How many painters would make a painting if they were told no one else could see them?" says Zare. It's the same for scientists. "The great joy of science is to be able to share it. And so you want to say, 'Isn't this interesting? Isn't that cool?' "

For now, though, we'll have to wait to see what's got Mars rover scientists itching to say what they found.

http://www.npr.org/2012/11/20/165513016/big-news-from-mars-rover-scientists-mum-for-now

embersyc
11-21-2012, 04:46 PM
Single cell organisms long since extinct have left huge oil deposits deep in the core?

Nah it's probably more evidence there used to be water.

Stuckey
11-21-2012, 04:49 PM
I predict it's plant DNA or something

DonDadda59
11-21-2012, 04:50 PM
Single cell organisms long since extinct have left huge oil deposits deep in the core?

Nah it's probably more evidence there used to be water.

Probably. But I'm hoping that instead of landing on Mars, it turns out that Rover actually just traveled through time and the twist is... it's been on Earth the whole time :eek:

http://i.chzbgr.com/completestore/2008/11/10/128708101772186770.jpg

-p.tiddy-
11-21-2012, 04:58 PM
I bet they found a shiny gold coin with an alien president's head on it...showing there used to be an intelligent race of Martians there in the past...they went on to nuke the planet and all of it's life into extinction.

Either that or maybe there used or there used to water on Mars...it's one or the other for sure

Math2
11-21-2012, 05:01 PM
I bet they found a shiny gold coin with an alien president's head on it...showing there used to be an intelligent race of Martians there in the past...they went on to nuke the planet and all of it's life into extinction.

Either that or maybe there used or there used to water on Mars...it's one or the other for sure

Probably just more water crap.

And what makes you think aliens would necessarily use gold as coinage?

outbreak
11-21-2012, 05:04 PM
They found another of Dwight's illegitimate children.

-p.tiddy-
11-21-2012, 05:11 PM
Probably just more water crap.

And what makes you think aliens would necessarily use gold as coinage?
you're right, the coins would probably be made of maroldium, a precisous green metal only found on Mars...

d.bball.guy
11-21-2012, 05:59 PM
Such a tease smh :lol

I think it's just Sam Cassell's toe nail.

Meticode
11-21-2012, 06:09 PM
**** you NASA! Don't be a tease and say you found something but can't tell us for weeks. Just don't say shit until you confirm it.
****in' *****.

TheMan
11-21-2012, 06:50 PM
http://www.timburtoncollective.com/images/mars1.jpg

bagelred
11-21-2012, 07:08 PM
Who cares......pass the ketchup.

Patrick Chewing
11-21-2012, 07:20 PM
http://a4.ec-images.myspacecdn.com/images01/63/a7233481ad5e4d86a473be6aba380195/l.jpg

miller-time
11-21-2012, 07:28 PM
It is could be methane, that is what they were looking for because it is a byproduct produced by living organisms.

CelticBaller
11-21-2012, 07:30 PM
watch it be something lame like frozen water

outbreak
11-21-2012, 08:40 PM
because frozen water on an alien planet is lame......
more likely it'll be much smaller than that (and still be exciting) like evidence of past water/chemical residue suggesting past water or biological remains.

CelticBaller
11-21-2012, 08:42 PM
because frozen water on an alien planet is lame......
more likely it'll be much smaller than that (and still be exciting) like evidence of past water/chemical residue suggesting past water or biological remains.
Well maybe I think its lame because it has been theorized since forever that there is frozen water on mars :confusedshrug:

embersyc
11-21-2012, 09:19 PM

Unlikely we already know there is frozen water at the caps, so why would they announce that?

CelticBaller
11-21-2012, 09:30 PM
Unlikely we already know there is frozen water at the caps, so why would they announce that?
I though it was a mix of mainly carbon with some water? I just though they would announce they found some frozen ice where water its is main component

Patrick Chewing
11-21-2012, 09:32 PM
It is could be methane, that is what they were looking for because it is a byproduct produced by living organisms.

I believe I read that they had found methane, but it was methane that was brought from Earth from when the craft took off.

There we go polluting other planets.

G-Funk
11-21-2012, 10:23 PM
http://cdn.visualnews.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/08/1-Aleksey-Saburov.jpg

G-Funk
11-21-2012, 10:26 PM
Only things that can be mars-shaking is:

Proof of a life organism
Proof it was just like earth
Proof it can support life

Anything else would disappoint.

daily
11-21-2012, 10:35 PM
They found a set of car keys to a 1946 Mercury. Book it

embersyc
11-21-2012, 10:40 PM
I though it was a mix of mainly carbon with some water? I just though they would announce they found some frozen ice where water its is main component

From Wikipedia:

2005, radar data revealed the presence of large quantities of water ice at the poles[18] and at mid-latitudes.[19][20] The Mars rover Spirit sampled chemical compounds containing water molecules in March 2007. The Phoenix lander directly sampled water ice in shallow Martian soil on July 31, 2008

Geriatric
11-21-2012, 11:30 PM
They found Elvis and/or 2Pac.

outbreak
11-21-2012, 11:57 PM
They found Jeff Van Gundy's retainer and Kyrie Irving.

magic chiongson
11-22-2012, 03:25 AM
They found Elvis and/or 2Pac.

or jimmy hoffa

magic chiongson
11-22-2012, 03:26 AM
http://a4.ec-images.myspacecdn.com/images01/63/a7233481ad5e4d86a473be6aba380195/l.jpg

beat me to it

Lamar Doom
11-22-2012, 06:29 AM
http://wtfpeople.files.wordpress.com/2012/01/mars_blackmon.jpg
http://girlofthecorn.files.wordpress.com/2012/10/mars-bar.gif

Say "Mars" out loud a few times. Sounds weird.

CeltsGarlic
11-22-2012, 07:11 AM
I think they gonna make a new mega expensive movie until 2012 12 21 about this and the end of the world.

Legend of Josh
11-22-2012, 08:18 AM

:facepalm

My God dude... you're such.a.****ing.nerd.

Legend of Josh
11-22-2012, 08:20 AM
They found another of Dwight's illegitimate children.

Dwight's? Didn't you mean Shawn Kemp?

Legend of Josh
11-22-2012, 08:24 AM
Only things that can be mars-shaking is:

Proof of a life organism
Proof it was just like earth
Proof it can support life
Proof 2Pac is still alive and 2Pac is the best! He's the best!

Anything else would disappoint.

Fixed for accuracy.

bluechox2
11-22-2012, 10:14 AM
ancient city burried below the surface...the rover fell through one of the glass ceilings while it was digging

d.bball.guy
11-22-2012, 06:05 PM
Or maybe a Nazi logo engraved on a rock?

Blue&Orange
11-22-2012, 08:03 PM
Doom IV?

Joshumitsu
11-23-2012, 12:10 AM
Remnants of a space faring species that went extinct 50,000 years ago.

If so, we can reverse engineer their technology and connect with the rest of the galactic community afterward.

Scholar
11-23-2012, 02:06 AM
They probably found Osama bin Laden.

scandisk_
11-23-2012, 05:53 AM
fossils perhaps? :confusedshrug:

bladefd
11-23-2012, 08:07 PM
I am excited to see what they found. It definitely has to be a remnant of some ancient microscopic organism (perhaps an archaebacteria) or a complex organic molecule that may be a prerequisite to life - I think I would be too overly optimistic to expect either of these though. Another more likely possibility is remnants of certain minerals found in liquid water only.

Remember, they already found water ice, and they are saying this new find is something great and will be for the history books. When they found the actual water ice, they didn't hype it up this much so that means this is an even bigger find. That points me to a gathering of minerals that can only be found in a flowing liquid water river.

InspiredLebowski
11-23-2012, 08:17 PM
It'll be something that's extremely important to astronomers/geologists that about 2% of the general public will understand.

macmac
12-24-2012, 02:13 AM
Hurry up NASA:mad:

Apparently it was all a misunderstanding and there's nothing newsworthy