PDA

View Full Version : Brandon Roy has Level III Degenerative Arthritis in Both Knees

irondarts
11-22-2012, 12:28 PM
Here's an article talking about why he came back, in the article he admits he has level III degenerative arthritis in both knees, when you reach Level IV you need a knee replacement. He needs to retire, it would really be sad if he couldn't walk later on in life.

link (http://www.oregonlive.com/blazers/index.ssf/2012/11/brandon_roy_opens_up_about_why_he_came_back_what_i .html?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter)

Chapallaz
11-22-2012, 12:31 PM
Basically: http://www.jointreconstruction.com/images/tkxraysA.gif

iamgine
11-22-2012, 12:33 PM
Here's an article talking about why he came back, in the article he admits he has level III degenerative arthritis in both knees, when you reach Level IV you need a knee replacement. He needs to retire, it would really be sad if he couldn't walk later on in life.

link (http://www.oregonlive.com/blazers/index.ssf/2012/11/brandon_roy_opens_up_about_why_he_came_back_what_i .html?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter)
Is that so bad? I'd assume it works just like a real knee, just maybe can't play sport.

stallionaire
11-22-2012, 12:52 PM
If I were T-Wolves GM... we woulda had Crawford.. not this ****ing joke Brandon Roy. Dude needs to know that HE KNEW HIS BODY THE BEST coming into this season. HE IS THE ONE that said he could play 25mpg. And then he shits this on us. Man **** this guy.

Good thing the Wolves can opt out of his con artist contract.

only 10 mil instead of 20.

ripthekik
11-22-2012, 12:52 PM
it sounds terrible. If i were him I'd just hang it up. What's the point? He's got the money. He can't contribute anymore even if he plays for the love of the game. Just keep your knees while you can still walk without a wheelchair man.

Being able to walk for the rest of his life >>>> playing mediocre for a few games before being hit by injury again

stevieming
11-22-2012, 01:21 PM
I like Brandon Roy a lot.....but man this is just flat out stealing money.

Bet he doesn't play another 10 games in total before calling it quits,

ihoopallday
11-22-2012, 01:25 PM
it sounds terrible. If i were him I'd just hang it up. What's the point? He's got the money. He can't contribute anymore even if he plays for the love of the game. Just keep your knees while you can still walk without a wheelchair man.

Being able to walk for the rest of his life >>>> playing mediocre for a few games before being hit by injury again

This. Pretty sure the guy is set for life financially.

ihoopallday
11-22-2012, 01:25 PM

Bet he doesn't play another 10 games in total before calling it quits,

NFL contracts > NBA contracts.

leopoldstotch
11-22-2012, 01:42 PM
time to hang it up. It's better to be able to walk rather than risk your body.

Patrick Chewing
11-22-2012, 01:57 PM
Greg Oden syndrome

Joshumitsu
11-22-2012, 02:27 PM
Portland Frailblazer syndrome

Fixed

Bandito
11-22-2012, 02:35 PM
Too bad, he was one of the brightest star in a fe years at the SG position. Who knows maybe he could've been number one and take the crown for KB.

BMOGEFan
11-22-2012, 02:37 PM
he needs that knee brace bruce wayne has in Rises.

Swaggin916
11-22-2012, 02:37 PM
I don't get it man how does this happen to some people? You are an elite athlete and but you're body just can't take it and at that young an age. It's not like he was flying all over the court either he was controlled and not playing some Faried wildman out thaere

gyu
11-22-2012, 02:38 PM
Is this even new to anyone? I thought this is the exact reason why he retired in the first place, I remember people were saying if he continues to play he might not be able to walk when he is old. That's why I was so confused why he was coming out of retirement in the first place.

FireDavidKahn
11-22-2012, 02:47 PM
Is this even new to anyone? I thought this is the exact reason why he retired in the first place, I remember people were saying if he continues to play he might not be able to walk when he is old. That's why I was so confused why he was coming out of retirement in the first place.
Is this news? I think so...Not sure it was ever made public he actually had degenerative arthritis, I could be wrong though.

JMT
11-22-2012, 02:54 PM
Is that so bad? I'd assume it works just like a real knee, just maybe can't play sport.

:facepalm Not so bad if you're 70 and just glad to be able to walk without excruciating pain. Not so good at 30/35 when maybe you'd like to be able to play with your kids and lead something close to a normal life.

AngelEyes
11-22-2012, 03:21 PM
NFL contracts > NBA contracts.

You better be joking, NBA contracts are infinitely greater.

Shepseskaf
11-22-2012, 03:28 PM
Is this news? I think so...Not sure it was ever made public he actually had degenerative arthritis, I could be wrong though.
I believe it was common knowledge in scouting circles that he had serious knee problems before he got drafted -- even if the specific problem might not have been known.

SilkkTheShocker
11-22-2012, 03:37 PM
Great signing by Kahn.

SourPatchKids
11-22-2012, 03:38 PM
Fixed
aha

but seriously :( :( :( :(

ihoopallday
11-22-2012, 04:07 PM

Of course they are, but NFL contracts keep things like this from happening. This guy will still get paid and didn't do shit. Even Greg Oden was getting paid millions when he barely ever touched a basketball. I like the NFL where players can be cut if they're not producing. That's why so many NFL players get guaranteed money when they sign their contracts. Should be the same way in the NBA in my opinion.

irondarts
11-22-2012, 04:14 PM
Not when it comes to situations like this.

FireDavidKahn
11-22-2012, 04:16 PM
Are you? NFL contracts aren't fully guaranteed.

All Net
11-22-2012, 04:46 PM
:( :(

LJJ
11-22-2012, 05:22 PM
Not when it comes to situations like this.

Roy was officially diagnosed with arthritis in his knees waaay back in 2010. It was a career ending, chronic physical condition.

So when a team signs a player who is clearly disabled I think they should take the biggest hit possible, that's just awful managing.

Sharmer
11-23-2012, 05:21 AM

I 'm a final year student in medicine , therefore I 've a lot of training on joint degeneration.

A few points, I haven't reviewed any radiology results on Brandon Roy, however because he has high level of Vastus Medialis Obliquus activation, which can mimimise loading on the knee joint.

Also there a number of procedure's in pipeline, and advancements in medicine will allow degenerative cartilage to regenerate.

But you are right, if he continues to play Basketball, his knee's will only further deteriorate.

iamgine
11-23-2012, 05:37 AM
:facepalm Not so bad if you're 70 and just glad to be able to walk without excruciating pain. Not so good at 30/35 when maybe you'd like to be able to play with your kids and lead something close to a normal life.
I think that's exaggeration. People who had knee replacement leads pretty normal life. Maybe they can't join the office's baseball team but that's about it.

Sharmer
11-23-2012, 05:41 AM
I think that's exaggeration. People who had knee replacement leads pretty normal life. Maybe they can't join the office's baseball team but that's about it.

Recently Mike Dantoni had knee replacement surgery and within a few weeks has been able to walk.

Purch
11-23-2012, 07:34 PM
The guy should of stayed retired. The Nba community knew it, the blazers knew it, Rick Adelman knew it, hell I think deep down even B-Roy himself knew it. When you have arthritis in both your knees at like age 25, your basketball career isn't even the main issue, it's your long term health. He can't afford to be playing basketball at such a high level, on knees that are ready to give out at any time.

Segatti
11-23-2012, 07:59 PM
Brandon Roy is a smart guy, "I'm going to take money from some sucker before I retire".

I<3NBA
11-23-2012, 10:43 PM

:facepalm

it's not stealing when you have the owner's permission to take their money. it's not Roy's fault T-Wolves mgt is stupid. they have dozens of medical professionals employed and not a one protested the signing.

IMO, any team stupid enough to offer that contract deserves to lose all that money.