PDA

View Full Version : DAntoni Benches Pau; Says If Players Can't Run Fast Enough --> Get New Players

IGOTGAME
11-24-2012, 01:12 PM
We have all seen what happens when a player doesn't fit his system. The player gets crapped on by Mike D. I hope this isn't how Pau leaves. He has done too much for this franchise to let some bad coach come in and throw him out for some gimmick offense.

All Net
11-24-2012, 01:18 PM
It is a concern and I'm already not liking D'Antoni.

oh the horror
11-24-2012, 01:26 PM
Look, I think we all had our concerns regarding this hire. Frankly for me personally I think the front office fu*ked up again hiring D'Antoni. You had Phil out there waiting to be the coach and you passed on him for this guy?

There was a reason Mike was tossed out of NY on his ass. And I dont want to hear about the players being at fault. This guy DOES NOT change it up to suit the players he has, and the lakers cant just keep "getting new players"

brownmamba00
11-24-2012, 01:26 PM
about damn time someone benched his ass

step up your game or gtfo, I like it
d'antoni:applause:

Asiantastic
11-24-2012, 01:28 PM
It is a concern and I'm already not liking D'Antoni.

Yeah it is pretty worrisome, but at the same time it might be good for Pau. If he really wants playing time, he'll have motivation to step up.

I'm honestly more worried about Dwight.

ZenMaster
11-24-2012, 01:28 PM
Pau played one of his worst games ever in a Laker uniform, and he did it as part of a two in a row stinker, some criticism is warranted. His defense was absolutetly horrible last night.

Kobe was also horrible.

I'm afraid Pau is getting too old, and he never had elite strength to begin with so father time kicks hard. It's clear Pau has begun the end of his career :(

Right now his offensive production hinges on his ability to hit open 20 footers, and he's missing too many.

Chrono90
11-24-2012, 01:29 PM
Gasol's style doesn't fit D'antoni's system. The organization should have thought of that before hiring D'antoni. They made a bad decision. Seems like they were too quick to throw a jab at Phil and didn't think about the hiring of D'antoni.

EnoughSaid
http://i50.tinypic.com/2dhen3b.jpg

:eek:

IGOTGAME
Pau played one of his worst games ever in a Laker uniform, and he did it as part of a two in a row stinker, some criticism is warranted. His defense was absolutetly horrible last night.

Kobe was also horrible.

I'm afraid Pau is getting too old, and he never had elite strength to begin with so father time kicks hard. It's clear Pau has begun the end of his career :(

Right now his offensive production hinges on his ability to hit open 20 footers, and he's missing too many.

whose fault is this? Because it seems like Mike D wants him shooting all those shots. Pau has said he would rather be on the block.

I'm honestly starting to dislike this Lakers team. I'll root for my franchise but I don't like this direction and I find this style of basketball boring

tomtucker
11-24-2012, 01:30 PM
**** DAntoni

oh the horror
11-24-2012, 01:30 PM
Gasol's style doesn't fit D'antoni's system. The organization should have thought of that before hiring D'antoni. They made a bad decision. Seems like they were too quick to throw a jab at Phil and didn't think about the hiring of D'antoni.

Either that, or they should have moved Pau a long time ago.

I dont know wtf they're doing at this point. I really dont.

Chrono90
11-24-2012, 01:31 PM
whose fault is this? Because it seems like Mike D wants him shooting all those shots. Pau has said he would rather be on the block.

Yea i agree. He needs more of an prime Amare that hits jumpers and does pick and roll. Not a post game type of guy.

nbarumorz
11-24-2012, 01:32 PM
They won't get much for Gasol:

32 years old
Rapidly declining #'s last three years (even in the %'s)
19 million this year 19.3 million next year

Chrono90
11-24-2012, 01:33 PM
Either that, or they should have moved Pau a long time ago.

I dont know wtf they're doing at this point. I really dont.

I'm worried too. Because Pau isnt even their main problem. Dwight isn't clicking in his system either. The only person doing work night in and night out is Kobe. Hopefully it gets better when Nash comes back but there's only so much he can do with his age. Just hoping it gets better at this point.

oh the horror
11-24-2012, 01:33 PM
IMO, at this point, there is way way too much change going on with this Lakers team.

Now the new coach is benching a primary piece (and rightfully so, Pau has been lethargic most games) and rumors are popping up again about trading him?

Talk about flux.

LosBulls
11-24-2012, 01:34 PM
Gasol for Amare.

Steve Nash + Amare + D'Antoni reunion.

Gasol goes ham with Melo who can emulate 2008 Kobe.

Lakers Vs Knicks Finals.

NBA Ratings skyrocket.

Los Angeles Vs New York
Melo Vs Kobe
Nash Vs Jason Kidd
D'Antoni Vs Knicks
Amare Vs Pau

Holy shit.

oh the horror
11-24-2012, 01:36 PM
I'm worried too. Because Pau isnt even their main problem. Dwight isn't clicking in his system either. The only person doing work night in and night out is Kobe. Hopefully it gets better when Nash comes back but there's only so much he can do with his age. Just hoping it gets better at this point.

In my opinion, this Laker team will not win the championship. Im willing to put money on that one. They are too reliant on ALL of their pieces being in prime condition, not injured and playing at a high level. They are entirely top heavy, with hardly any really solid role players and bench players to fall back on when they arent performing.

They banked way too hard on big names, and didnt fill in the blanks in terms of their role players this year I think.

Maybe im overreacting, but they havent looked very good. Plus they bring in D'Antoni to run a "showtime" offense? :facepalm

ZenMaster
11-24-2012, 01:37 PM

Pau doesn't have the strength or the quickness to play effectively on the block anymore with regularity. Guys go hard on him and he doesn't convert enough shots or draws enough fouls, same thing on defense he can't guard his position because he's too slow and not strong enough and the talent level he has to guard is very high.

Lakers at this point would be better starting Jamison who can stretch the floor for Howard and then subbing with Hill and Pau. Pau would be put in a better chance to succeed because he'd be playing more to his defensive level at this point.

nbarumorz
11-24-2012, 01:42 PM
Gasol for Amare.

Steve Nash + Amare + D'Antoni reunion.

Gasol goes ham with Melo who can emulate 2008 Kobe.

Lakers Vs Knicks Finals.

NBA Ratings skyrocket.

Los Angeles Vs New York
Melo Vs Kobe
Nash Vs Jason Kidd
D'Antoni Vs Knicks
Amare Vs Pau

Holy shit.

Buss would get SLAUGHTERED once that trade explodes in their face. Trading for Stoudemire right now is sure death. If D'Antoni's problem with Gasol is LACK OF SPEED, Amare certainly isn't a spring chicken. So you downgrade defense, add risk in the form of Amare's injury, stay the same at the actual problem (speed), and downgrade leadership.....pass.

Shepseskaf
11-24-2012, 01:42 PM
Welcome to D'Antoni-land Laker Nation. He'll immediately target and scapegoat a key player who doesn't "fit" his system, then proceed to run that player out of town.

It happened to Starbury, and although Stephon was certainly not without blame, the way MDA treated him was not right -- and it hurt the team in the short run.

I give this coaching experiment one year before MDA is run out of town -- again.

Clutch
11-24-2012, 01:43 PM
I warned you. But Laker fans attacked me saying he's a good coach and the Knicks made him look bad.

Enjoy.

IGOTGAME
11-24-2012, 01:45 PM
I warned you. But Laker fans attacked me saying he's a good coach and the Knicks made him look bad.

Enjoy.

I listened. I saw this bs with NY too. Guy is a horrible coach. He makes me not even want to watch my own team.

LosBulls
11-24-2012, 01:46 PM
Buss would get SLAUGHTERED once that trade explodes in their face. Trading for Stoudemire right now is sure death. If D'Antoni's problem with Gasol is LACK OF SPEED, Amare certainly isn't a spring chicken. So you downgrade defense, add risk in the form of Amare's injury, stay the same at the actual problem (speed), and downgrade leadership.....pass.
Amare was having an MVP worthy season not very long ago before Melo came in..

The thing with Amare is that he is an emotional person so if his self confidence goes down so will his game (Melo taking the spotlight from him in NY).

If he reunites with Nash and D'Antoni he will gain confidence and will be hungry for that ring he never won with them.

nbarumorz
11-24-2012, 01:50 PM
Amare was having an MVP worthy season not very long ago before Melo came in..

The thing with Amare is that he is an emotional person so if his self confidence goes down so will his game (Melo taking the spotlight from him in NY).

If he reunites with Nash and D'Antoni he will gain confidence and will be hungry for that ring he never won with them.

That's all fine and good, except for the fact that Stoud is injured and has no idea when he will return right now. Buss can't make that trade, especially because it is lateral movement -- I don't see what Stoud brings to the table that Gasol can't supply except an improved offensive arsenal. I wouldn't be downgrading defense, leadership, fan support, and chemistry to go and slightly boost the offense.

EnoughSaid
11-24-2012, 01:52 PM
I think when Nash comes back he'll be able to incorporate everyone and get this team on a winning pace. But Kobe needs to relinquish ball dominance and let him control the team.

Whoah10115
11-24-2012, 01:52 PM

Not true at all.

First, Gasol is not really slow. Second, Amare is very fast and is still one of the most athletic big guys around. His athleticism is still elite. And leadership...Gasol does not have any right now and for me his demeanor, attitude and general disposition are the main reason he has to go. Like Kupchak said at the end of last season: that will probably never be repaired.

That's why it's time to go.

nbarumorz
11-24-2012, 01:53 PM
Now here's a hypothetical that makes some sense, if Gasol plays his way out of LA:

Gasol ---> Cavaliers
Luke Walton ---> Lakers
Tristan Thompson ---> Lakers

Salaries work out since CLE has $10 mil in cap space, LA takes $10 million off of their cap, Luke's contract of $6.1 expires after this season and they get a promising prospect (who can run the floor) that can also perform now in Thompson for 3 yrs at under 4mil each. Who says no?

nbarumorz
11-24-2012, 01:54 PM
Not true at all.

First, Gasol is not really slow. Second, Amare is very fast and is still one of the most athletic big guys around. His athleticism is still elite. And leadership...Gasol does not have any right now and for me his demeanor, attitude and general disposition are the main reason he has to go. Like Kupchak said at the end of last season: that will probably never be repaired.

That's why it's time to go.

Amare's injury should be a big red flag for Buss to nix it. Gasol being rushed out of LA should raise concerns for NY to think it through, considering they have a good thing going right now why tamper with it. Just don't see a NY-LA trade happening.

LosBulls
11-24-2012, 01:56 PM
That's all fine and good, except for the fact that Stoud is injured and has no idea when he will return right now. Buss can't make that trade, especially because it is lateral movement -- I don't see what Stoud brings to the table that Gasol can't supply except an improved offensive arsenal. I wouldn't be downgrading defense, leadership, fan support, and chemistry to go and slightly boost the offense.

Read the thread title. Pau is benched. You think Gasol is going to want to go out there and make shots and show "leadership" off the bench?

And Amare's injury isn't as serious as many people think. The Knicks are trying to get as much time without him as possible so the time out is extended.

You also forget you got Dwight coming off an injury too and hes just fine.

nbarumorz
11-24-2012, 01:57 PM
Now here's a hypothetical that makes some sense, if Gasol plays his way out of LA:

Gasol ---> Cavaliers
Luke Walton ---> Lakers

Salaries work out since CLE has $10 mil in cap space, LA takes $10 million off of their cap, Luke's contract of $6.1 expires after this season and they get a promising prospect (who can run the floor) that can also perform now in Thompson for 3 yrs at under 4mil each. Who says no?

Also, more importantly, the 2 teams look like this after the trade:

Cavs:
PG Irving
SG Waiters
SF Alonzo Gee
PF Gasol
C Varejao

Conclusion: They def. don't say no to this trade, even though they have to give up TT. Gasol brings experience they desperately need and would work nicely with Varejao.

Lakers:
PG Nash
SG Kobe
SF Metta
PF Thompson
C Dwight

Conclusion: If Gasol really needs to go they pull their trigger on this before a Stoud-Gasol straight up swap. TT gives them a nice asset for the future to pair w/ Dwight for the next 3-5 years

Skywalker
11-24-2012, 01:59 PM
Pau -> Philadelphia
Milsap -> LAL
Evan Turner, Philly 1st -> Utah

add salary fillers

Noof
11-24-2012, 02:00 PM
It worries me too but the benching is on Pau. The Grizz were going on huge runs every time he stepped on the court. He was outperformed by Jamison.

nbarumorz
11-24-2012, 02:00 PM
Read the thread title. Pau is benched. You think Gasol is going to want to go out there and make shots and show "leadership" off the bench?

And Amare's injury isn't as serious as many people think. The Knicks are trying to get as much time without him as possible so the time out is extended.

You also forget you got Dwight coming off an injury too and hes just fine.

Comparing Dwight to Amare is stupid and a waste of time. Just because Dwight recovered does not mean Amare will be fine -- 26 YO to a 30 YO. Besides, Melo is playing the PF right now and thriving in that role, bringing in Gasol you have to put him @ PF since Chandler is @ C. Too much change if that happens for a team doing well. If Knicks start to fall apart they do it no question -- but again, I don't think Buss pulls the trigger. Too much risk.

nbarumorz
11-24-2012, 02:06 PM
Pau -> Philadelphia
Milsap -> LAL
Evan Turner, Philly 1st -> Utah

add salary fillers

Why would Philly take on Pau, give up Evan Turner, and give up their 1st rounder? They need more than Gasol, who really just clogs up cap space for them.

IGOTGAME
11-24-2012, 02:10 PM
Also, if Dwight resigns with this team he is STUPID!! He should leave as soon as possible.

Skywalker
11-24-2012, 02:12 PM
Why would Philly take on Pau, give up Evan Turner, and give up their 1st rounder? They need more than Gasol, who really just clogs up cap space for them.

they need post offense, evan turner is no big deal, itll be a mid first

nbarumorz
11-24-2012, 02:15 PM
they need post offense, evan turner is no big deal, itll be a mid first

Bynum comes back and their post-o should be fine, right? No need to ship out a nice prospect like Turner, who I think is still developing.

blablabla
11-24-2012, 02:15 PM
Its not like Evan Turner is a great player and a mid 2 late first rounder isn't worth much

I like the trade for all 3 teams

SpecialQue
11-24-2012, 02:18 PM
If this is the note that Pau leaves LA on, then I'm going to actively root for the Clippers to kick their ass all season long.

IGOTGAME
11-24-2012, 02:18 PM
[QUOTE]MEMPHIS, Tenn.

kuniva_dAMiGhTy
11-24-2012, 02:27 PM
If this is the note that Pau leaves LA on, then I'm going to actively root for the Clippers to kick their ass all season long.

So you're a player zealot, not necessarily a Lakers fan? Gotcha.

tpols
11-24-2012, 02:41 PM
Gasol needs to be out. LA has to mold their offense after Orlandos when they made the Finals and I believe with a stretch four and Nash, Dantoni can do it.

Nash=Jameer on roids
Kobe=Reddick on Roids
Metta=Turk but cant let him dribble like that
Insert shooter
Dwight

AirTupac
11-24-2012, 02:42 PM
Gasol leaving has been a long time coming. Dude just doesn't have confidence anymore. Grizzlies went on HUGE runs when Gasol touched the court.

SpecialQue
11-24-2012, 02:43 PM
So you're a player zealot, not necessarily a Lakers fan? Gotcha.

It has more to do with Pau being booted because of a coach not thinking he fits into his pet system. He can be used effectively, and keeping Pau was a major plus of the Dwight trade. Now they're going to dump them because a coach who just signed on and can't figure out how to use him? And why the hell is Dwight playing like shit as well?

Fvck this coach.

Rekindled
11-24-2012, 02:44 PM
Gasol needs to be out. LA has to mold their offense after Orlandos when they made the Finals and I believe with a stretch four and Nash, Dantoni can do it.

Nash=Jameer on roids
Kobe=Reddick on Roids
Insert shooter(Ryan Anderson)
Dwight

fixed

AirTupac
11-24-2012, 02:45 PM
It has more to do with Pau being booted because of a coach not thinking he fits into his pet system. He can be used effectively, and keeping Pau was a major plus of the Dwight trade. Now they're going to dump them because a coach who just signed on and can't figure out how to use him? And why the hell is Dwight playing like shit as well?

Fvck this coach.

So Gasol hasn't fit Phil's system, Brown's sytem and D'Antonis system in the past 3 years? Newsflash, he's declining and has been for the past couple years. He has the chance to post up when Howard is on the bench but he NEVER wants to fight for position. A majority of Laker fans came to terms with this situation after watching the game last night. Gasol has to go this year.

IGOTGAME
11-24-2012, 02:48 PM
So Gasol hasn't fit Phil's system, Brown's sytem and D'Antonis system in the past 3 years? Newsflash, he's declining and has been for the past couple years. He has the chance to post up when Howard is on the bench but he NEVER wants to fight for position. A majority of Laker fans came to terms with this situation after watching the game last night. Gasol has to go this year.

Gasol has fit the system just fine. The team just wasn't a championship team. If they were gonna move Gasol they should have done so 1-2 years ago. Moving him now for peanuts because he can't become a pure shooter is stupid.

I don't mind trading him for a Josh Smith package but I would have done this years ago. The fact that people are pretending like Ryan Anderson is a steal just shows how people don't understand how valuable a piece Pau is.

daily
11-24-2012, 02:49 PM
So Gasol hasn't fit Phil's system, Brown's sytem and D'Antonis system in the past 3 years? Newsflash, he's declining and has been for the past couple years. He has the chance to post up when Howard is on the bench but he NEVER wants to fight for position. A majority of Laker fans came to terms with this situation after watching the game last night. Gasol has to go this year.:facepalm

I'd be more worried about Howard. he's playing every bit as crappy AND he's getting the ball where he wants it. Gasol is playing out of position. Your post is telling us you're not even watching the games

SpecialQue
11-24-2012, 02:49 PM
Gasol has fit the system just fine. The team just wasn't a championship team. If they were gonna move Gasol they should have done so 1-2 years ago. Moving him now for peanuts because he can't become a pure shooter is stupid.

Exactly. It seems like a desperation move because of this coach. Or did everyone forget how well Pau was playing during Bick-sanity?

AirTupac
11-24-2012, 02:50 PM

This is true and it should have been done right there and then. Only way I would move Pau Gasol is if we got a decent return back but paying him 19 million a year for this type of production is absurd.

nbarumorz

I don't mind trading him for a Josh Smith package but I would have done this years ago. The fact that people are pretending like Ryan Anderson is a steal just shows how people don't understand how valuable a piece Pau is.

Pau can be valuable in certain situations...no longer a centerpiece you build around. The truth is hard to face if you like a guy but the truth it he is 30+, on the rapid decline, and has a monster contract. They aren't getting a Josh Smith for him.

swi7ch
Gasol for Ryan Anderson

AirTupac
11-24-2012, 02:52 PM
:facepalm

I'd be more worried about Howard. he's playing every bit as crappy AND he's getting the ball where he wants it. Gasol is playing out of position. Your post is telling us you're not even watching the games

He's not playing as crappy as Gasol, you're a moron if you think so. Even last night with Howard's awful stats, he still did a hell of a lot more than Gasol. Made plenty of plays that helped the bench score as much as they did.

What did Gasol do? Get scored on every play? Get out rebounded by Zbo? Everytime he touched the court, Grizzlies went on a huge run.

Howard has been playing sluggish because of his back. He's playing in a run and gun system where he still isn't in his best shape. Not to mention that these games have been close to each other leaving him no time to rest.

nbarumorz
11-24-2012, 02:53 PM
Gasol for Ryan Anderson

I still like my Cavs/Lakers swap personally...but this doesn't work. Salary wise, not basketball wise. Gasol @ 19mil, Anderson @ 8.7mil, NO is 5mil over the cap. Good luck making that $10,000,000 difference up.

nbarumorz
11-24-2012, 02:54 PM
He's not playing as crappy as Gasol, you're a moron if you think so. Even last night with Howard's awful stats, he still did a hell of a lot more than Gasol. Made plenty of plays that helped the bench score as much as they did.

What did Gasol do? Get scored on every play? Get out rebounded by Zbo? Everytime he touched the court, Grizzlies went on a huge run.

Howard has been playing sluggish because of his back. He's playing in a run and gun system where he still isn't in his best shape. Not to mention that these games have been close to each other leaving him no time to rest.

+1. Leave d12 alone for now. Give Lakers fans 30 days to start completely turning on him, unjustified obviously. Dude's a beast

Lakers_Kobe_Fan
11-24-2012, 02:57 PM
the lakers need to trade Pau/blake/ebanks/clark for Barg/Calderon/T Ross/Ed Davis

Sign Pietrus...

Nash/Caledron/morris
Kobe/meeks/ross
MWP/jamison/pietrus
Barg/Hill/ed davis
Dwight/sacre/hill

Purch
11-24-2012, 03:08 PM
So you replaced a terribly flawed coached in Mike Brown, with an arguablly even more flawed coach in Mike D'antoni and expect everything to magically click?

You guys chose Mike Brown over Rick Adelman and Mike D'antoni over Phil Jackson.

I just don't understand it

Real Men Wear Green
11-24-2012, 03:08 PM
I am reminded of how Bobby V started a fight with Youk when he first came to Boston. D'Antoni should be careful about getting into it with players like this before the overall roster decides to like him. he could have his own team against him just like Valentine did and when that happens there's no stoppingthe losing.

Nash=Jameer on roids
Kobe=Reddick on Roids
Insert shooter
Dwight
The Magic offense is not worth imitating by anyone and you can't tell Bryant to play like Redick.

tpols
11-24-2012, 03:12 PM
The Magic offense is not worth imitating by anyone and you can't tell Bryant to play like Redick.
Why not? Obviously they wont chuck as many threes since they have much better penetrators and playmakers on the perimeter but spacing the floor wide at all positions will allow Howard more room to operate on the low post and give him more chances at offensive boards.

wang4three
11-24-2012, 03:13 PM
They should explore three way trade ideas with Utah for Paul Milllsap. UTH desperately needs a shooting guard so maybe they can engage Philly for Nick Young. The Jazz obviously need to get more than Nick (maybe 1st round picks from LAL and/or PHI) for it to make sense for them. Philly would get Gasol.

Lakers would get Millsap who can run the pick and roll, pick and pop, and rebound as well as anyone in the league. It also makes them tougher too.

Utah gets their scoring guard and opens up spots for Favors to be the PF. The future first rounders hopefully would add nice pieces to their core (most likely in the PG area).

Philly gets Pau next to Bynum which obviously worked in LAL and becomes the biggest team on the Eastern Conference, if Bynum ever comes back.

Or the Lakers could explore options for an undersized but athletic and running PF like Thaddeus Young. That'd be fun for them too.

bagelred
11-24-2012, 03:16 PM
It's inevitable at this point. Can't stop the forward momentum of Pau for Amare. Has to happen.

Welcome to New York, Pau. Here's your orientation package.....please review it.

Purch
11-24-2012, 03:16 PM
They should explore three way trade ideas with Utah for Paul Milllsap. UTH desperately needs a shooting guard so maybe they can engage Philly for Nick Young. The Jazz obviously need to get more than Nick (maybe 1st round picks from LAL and/or PHI) for it to make sense for them. Philly would get Gasol.

Lakers would get Millsap who can run the pick and roll, pick and pop, and rebound as well as anyone in the league. It also makes them tougher too.

Utah gets their scoring guard and opens up spots for Favors to be the PF. The future first rounders hopefully would add nice pieces to their core (most likely in the PG area).

Philly gets Pau next to Bynum which obviously worked in LAL and becomes the biggest team on the Eastern Conference, if Bynum ever comes back.

Or the Lakers could explore options for an undersized but athletic and running PF like Thaddeus Young. That'd be fun for them too.

I'm not in a rush to put another guard above Burks. I'm waiting for him to finally leave Corbin's doghouse.

SpecialQue
11-24-2012, 03:21 PM

I'm pretty sure that Philly isn't going to be taking any LA big for the foreseeable future.

SCdac
11-24-2012, 03:26 PM
D'Antoni is such a joke. All style, no substance. Lakers aren't doing shit with him as coach and Kobe as the guy who really runs things.... That team needed a Phil Jackson type, if not Phil himself.

Real Men Wear Green
11-24-2012, 03:29 PM
Why not? Obviously they wont chuck as many threes since they have much better penetrators and playmakers on the perimeter but spacing the floor wide at all positions will allow Howard more room to operate on the low post and give him more chances at offensive boards.
Kobe Bryant is far too talented to be limited to Redick's role of being a jumpshooter. And he knows it, and wouldn't accept that. The other issue is that the Magic were really about defense, that's were they were elite every year. The offense was average. Howard was and is a great player for what he can do defensively, rebounding, and scoring. If it was just about scoring with him he wouldn't be a franchise player. He certainly should't have 7-shot games or anything even close but Bryant is still their best offensive player.

SCdac
11-24-2012, 03:42 PM
If it was just about scoring with him he wouldn't be a franchise player. He certainly should't have 7-shot games or anything even close but Bryant is still their best offensive player.

Dwight had plenty of those games the last 1-3 years in Orlando as the main guy. Simply put, an offense can only go so far built around his post-game. I remember a playoff series about 2 years ago where the TV crew was literally saying "They need to stop going to Howard in the post every play", because dude was committing one turnover and offensive foul after another. He just doesn't have the IQ, poise, vision, and skill-set to be a guy putting up a good 15 or more shots each game, Kobe or no Kobe. The team would lack rhythm because Dwight is not a facilitator type and he's not destroying double and triple teams either.

wang4three
11-24-2012, 03:51 PM
I'm pretty sure that Philly isn't going to be taking any LA big for the foreseeable future.

Tou che.

Mr. Incredible
11-24-2012, 04:03 PM
Lakers really Sh!t the bed by not bringing back Phil :lol

Lakers_Kobe_Fan
11-24-2012, 04:05 PM
Lakers really Sh!t the bed by not bringing back Phil :lol

Phil has nothing to do with Pau being productive...

Phil used Pau/Odom...so even Phil needed a stretched 4 with Pau playing 5

Lakers_Kobe_Fan
11-24-2012, 04:10 PM
:roll:
D'Antoni is such a joke. All style, no substance. Lakers aren't doing shit with him as coach and Kobe as the guy who really runs things.... That team needed a Phil Jackson type, if not Phil himself.

:biggums: :banghead:

LA Lakers
11-24-2012, 04:32 PM
I dont get it, when he plays for the Spanish National Team he dominates...

LA Lakers
11-24-2012, 04:33 PM
And news flash for D Antoni, this team doesnt have the legs for run and gun.

Rekindled
11-24-2012, 05:03 PM
I dont get it, when he plays for the Spanish National Team he dominates...

what's not to get, when Pau plays on spain, he plays center. Pau dominates as the a center, but he cannot play center on the lakers with dwight on the roster

lilgodfather1
11-24-2012, 05:40 PM

Gasol ---> Cavaliers
Luke Walton ---> Lakers

Sure that makes great sense... For the Lakers. For the Cavaliers? Chris Grant laughs at Kupchak for even offering it.

BallsOut
11-24-2012, 05:43 PM
Sure that makes great sense... For the Lakers. For the Cavaliers? Chris Grant laughs at Kupchak for even offering it.

Lakers don't want the trash that is Tristian Thompson. Hell, even JJ Hickson was miles better than that scrub.

Sharmer
11-24-2012, 05:45 PM
Let's not panic, not sure if at 7'2, and with Gasol frame, he is suited running up and down the fall, at a fast rate.

lilgodfather1
11-24-2012, 05:46 PM
Lakers don't want the trash that is Tristian Thompson. Hell, even JJ Hickson was miles better than that scrub.
And Tristan is better for the Cavs than Pau, so like I said the trade doesn't make sense for them. Who the hell cares about what the Lakers want lol.

TheBigAristotle1
11-24-2012, 06:41 PM
If it was just about scoring with him he wouldn't be a franchise player. He certainly should't have 7-shot games or anything even close but Bryant is still their best offensive player.

Dwight is a very good offensive players his only weakness is FT%. The only complaint Shaq has with him is that he isn't automatic within 3 feet of the basket, even with fouls and double teams.

Edit: I'm a fan of Shaq the player, not Shaq the commentator.

TheBigAristotle1
11-24-2012, 06:43 PM
One more thing, D'Antoni is right Pau doesn't fit the Lakers system. That's why they should get a different coach!

9erempiree
11-24-2012, 06:51 PM
Pretty much sick of this Dantoni system.

I would rather have Pau play as his usual self than Nash.

So Lakers got rid of Mike Brown because he made Nash ineffective for Dantoni, who's system, has made Pau ineffective.

Sad trade off.

Real Men Wear Green
11-24-2012, 07:01 PM
Dwight is a very good offensive players his only weakness is FT%. The only complaint Shaq has with him is that he isn't automatic within 3 feet of the basket, even with fouls and double teams.

Edit: I'm a fan of Shaq the player, not Shaq the commentator.
This has nothing to do with Shaq. Howard is a good scorer but Bryant is a better guy to base your offense off of. He's a great athlete for finishing but isn't skilled like the truly great post scorers (Dream, Jabbar, etc.)

ShaqAttack3234
11-24-2012, 07:01 PM
D'Antoni was exposed, I saw it for 4 years with the Knicks. He's not an offensive genius, his system really limits the type of personnel you can have. It relies on a great point guard, and history has shown that more often than not, championship teams don't revolve around point guards. Gasol has been underutilized since he left Memphis, and put in positions where his talent has been wasted. It was obvious that this was going to continue with D'Antoni, and it's not looking good for Howard either. It's early, but he's off to a bad start with Gasol. Pau is a lot more proven than D'Antoni, he made an enormous impact on championship teams, there were not 10 players in the league who made that type of impact those 2 years. He may be slipping, but if his talents were utilized, the difference would be much smaller.

swi7ch
11-24-2012, 07:03 PM
Bring Bernie Back!

Eric Cartman
11-24-2012, 07:07 PM

So Lakers got rid of Mike Brown because he made Nash ineffective for Dantoni, who's system, has made Pau ineffective.

Sad trade off.

**** the system.

Lakers_Kobe_Fan
11-24-2012, 07:10 PM
D'Antoni was exposed, I saw it for 4 years with the Knicks. He's not an offensive genius, his system really limits the type of personnel you can have. It relies on a great point guard, and history has shown that more often than not, championship teams don't revolve around point guards. Gasol has been underutilized since he left Memphis, and put in positions where his talent has been wasted. It was obvious that this was going to continue with D'Antoni, and it's not looking good for Howard either. It's early, but he's off to a bad start with Gasol. Pau is a lot more proven than D'Antoni, he made an enormous impact on championship teams, there were not 10 players in the league who made that type of impact those 2 years. He may be slipping, but if his talents were utilized, the difference would be much smaller.

Looks like a post by dumba$$ who has not watched lakers games at all

Pau needs to man the fcuk up and bring the energy, effort and will to play the game

Pau was good back in 2010... Since then it looks like he lost his balls during the Mavs series and he is still trying to find them

Coaches cant teach u to be aggressive or play defense, get the rebound or die for lose ball... Thats whats missing from gasol...

Touches on low block has nothing to with his other parts of the game

flipogb
11-24-2012, 07:12 PM
One more thing, D'Antoni is right Pau doesn't fit the Lakers system. That's why they should get a different coach!

Pau is the 3rd best player, you don't get a new coach for your 3rd or 4th guy. you get new players

Lakers_Kobe_Fan
11-24-2012, 07:13 PM

Sad trade off.

Pau is the reason himself for not being effective... He gets the ball on the hugh post... He can attack the basket aggressively... Give the ball up and go strong to the low block so he can get ball on week side...

Pau can still be effective by grabbing rebounds. Playing defense & other parts of th game

Mr. Jabbar
11-24-2012, 07:21 PM
about time some1 benched that lethargic soft ass

ShaqAttack3234
11-24-2012, 07:21 PM

Pau needs to man the fcuk up and bring the energy, effort and will to play the game

Pau was good back in 2010... Since then it looks like he lost his balls during the Macs series and he is still trying to find them

Coaches cant teach u to be aggressive or play defense, get the rebound or die for lose ball... Thats whats missing from gasol...

Pau isn't completely blameless, but it's no coincidence that his impact has dropped considerably the last 2 years with mediocre coaches. First with Mike Brown for no apparent reason making him the third option in favor of an inferior offensive player Bynum. That wasted a great luxury by having Gasol outside way too much. Now, there's D'Antoni who is too stubborn to look at his personnel and see that his system is not going to maximize this team's ability. The Lakers are too blame for hiring him as well, but once again, Gasol will be on the perimeter.

I watched the Brooklyn game and was shocked by how often Gasol took jump shots, this didn't happen with Phil, or in Memphis for that matter. Even if he wasn't always as aggressive as you'd like, he was at least in a position to succeed.

You also have to know your personnel, benching Pau is not going to get him on track. Phil knew how to get the most out of his players and manage egos of all kinds.

D'Antoni is a one trick pony, and that trick isn't going to work with this team. Just like it didn't work with Melo. He has a potentially incredible big man duo, but he's going to waste it. Taking advantage of their inside game is what will give them their best chance to win, along with Kobe's brilliance. And Kobe has proven he can dominate with the ball also going inside a lot, first with Shaq, and then with Gasol.

kuniva_dAMiGhTy
11-24-2012, 07:22 PM

Pau was good back in 2010... Since then it looks like he lost his balls during the Mavs series and he is still trying to find them

Looks like you should have been aborted.

Sharmer
11-24-2012, 07:23 PM
Lots of over reaction going on.

9erempiree
11-24-2012, 07:24 PM

For the first time, I'm going to have to agree with everything you said.

Especially about Pau, he has proven to be worthy contributor of a championship team and D'antoni hasn't proved that he can win.

RRR3
11-24-2012, 07:24 PM
Damn it, was hoping Shaqattack would have gone hard at that guy, the way he did with AlphaWolf that one time :oldlol:. Don't let 'em off the hook so easy, SA!

9erempiree
11-24-2012, 07:28 PM
How the fucck you going to have Pau positioned on the top of the circle.

I have never seen Pau shoot 3's in his entire career and he started camping out in the corner last year.

These coaches.:facepalm

Clifton
11-24-2012, 07:29 PM
Lakers shouldn't try to trade Gasol for someone like Amare. That's not realistic (though it would make both teams better, you know it won't happen). They should try to trade him for role players... Jamison and Artest are all they need at the 4 on heavy rotation. They need one more big man to back up Howard and team up with him if need be; they need someone of the Raja Bell mould to round out their perimeter play.

Jeremy Lin would be great, but I'm not sure if either team would do it. I don't know Houston well enough; and Lakers would have to get at least 2 quality players for him; this is their one and only shot to round out their roster.

If Houston still had Scola and the salaries matched up Scola + Lin for Gasol would, I think, improve both teams.

Gasol as PF lobbing to Howard sounded great in theory; but you want Gasol on the block, playing point-center, and only stepping out to 18 once in a while to switch things up on the defense. You want Gasol and another PF/C who is a bruiser, but who can free up the lane for Gasol and for cutters. Gasol is NOT a spot up shooter. That's such a waste of talent and time. Gasol could be the best player on a title contending team, right now. Get him on Denver? Contender. He was leading teams to 50 wins in a stacked Western conference with nothing close to another All-Star level player in Memphis. There is no reason he couldn't do the same now if used right. And he never has been used right in LA, not even when they won the title.

I consider Pau one of the 10 players I would most like to build a team around. Still.

Mr. Jabbar
11-24-2012, 07:38 PM
Pau isn't completely blameless, but it's no coincidence that his impact has dropped considerably the last 2 years with mediocre coaches. First with Mike Brown for no apparent reason making him the third option in favor of an inferior offensive player Bynum. That wasted a great luxury by having Gasol outside way too much. Now, there's D'Antoni who is too stubborn to look at his personnel and see that his system is not going to maximize this team's ability. The Lakers are too blame for hiring him as well, but once again, Gasol will be on the perimeter.

I watched the Brooklyn game and was shocked by how often Gasol took jump shots, this didn't happen with Phil, or in Memphis for that matter. Even if he wasn't always as aggressive as you'd like, he was at least in a position to succeed.

You also have to know your personnel, benching Pau is not going to get him on track. Phil knew how to get the most out of his players and manage egos of all kinds.

D'Antoni is a one trick pony, and that trick isn't going to work with this team. Just like it didn't work with Melo. He has a potentially incredible big man duo, but he's going to waste it. Taking advantage of their inside game is what will give them their best chance to win, along with Kobe's brilliance. And Kobe has proven he can dominate with the ball also going inside a lot, first with Shaq, and then with Gasol.

Pau began his unbearable lethargic softness in the last year of Phil Jackson. Not after he left.

AirTupac
11-24-2012, 07:43 PM
Not even Phil Jackson could have saved Pau Gasol. Remember the punch to the chest trying to fire him up? Phil gave it his all, that was the beginning of the end for Gasol. It's just been downhill for him since then, he's a much better player than he's playing, no doubt but it's looking like a change of scenery might really do everyone better. He has ZERO confidence in himself.

Video of Phil trying to fire him up

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P8pV2v4wNJs

LA Lakers
11-24-2012, 08:01 PM
Its true about Pau on defense. Hes terrible. Guys have no fear of him and just blow right by. Total punishment.

longtime lurker
11-24-2012, 08:03 PM
Let's face facts Gasol has been living off reputation for the past 2 seasons. He's clearly lost a step and his game hasn't adapted well to the PF position. You know things are bad when Brandon Bass would be a better fit. I don't want the Lakers to trade Pau but a gasol for milsap trade straight up would benefit the Lakers immensely.

Just2McFly
11-24-2012, 08:06 PM
I seriously don't understand how hard it is for Gasol to hustle down the court and trail a play...he's a basketball player. He doesn't have to be the first one down the court but hustle for goodness sakes.

ShaqAttack3234
11-24-2012, 08:29 PM
Damn it, was hoping Shaqattack would have gone hard at that guy, the way he did with AlphaWolf that one time :oldlol:. Don't let 'em off the hook so easy, SA!

I'd rather not get into a pissing match right now. Just talk basketball, I'll ignore the insult from that guy now.

Pau began his unbearable lethargic softness in the last year of Phil Jackson. Not after he left.

Pau was much better that year. His season was mixed, but he was being talked about as an MVP candidate early. He then went through a slump, but came back, albeit not at his early season form. The playoffs were bizarre and linked to personal problems, and it could have been a combination of that, and fatigue. In fact, during that season, most agreed that Gasol was worn out from playing huge minutes early and carrying a bigger load than normal due to Bynum being out until mid-December and Kobe coming off a knee surgery. Also, Pau had just played in three deep playoff runs to the finals as well as playing during summers.

In the end, Pau wasn't as good as he was in '10, when he was great, or '09 when he was extremely consistent, but it was probably the third best year of his career and he was selected to the all-nba second team. Those accolades are subject, but even getting consideration for a second team would be unthinkable last year, and especially, so far this season.

Clifton
11-24-2012, 08:37 PM
his game hasn't adapted well to the PF position.
Exactly. There is NOTHING power forward about Pau Gasol. Nothing. Why on EARTH he is stuck at the 4 is a total mystery. If Pau is your 4, your 5 has to be someone like Ibaka or Camby.

These days you don't have 2 guards, 2 forwards, and a center. You have one short guard, one medium-size guard, one big guard who can't dribble that well, a forward, and a forward who happens to be within an inch or two of 7' (see Chris Bosh, a most definitively non-Center player). Actual centers are so incredibly rare and Pau Gasol is one... in fact his main problem is defense - so you gonna put him on one of these 6'8 slasher PFs? Man alive - someone trade for this guy already, team up with Reggie Evans or something, give him a good coach, and watch him give you a 20/9 that are much more impactful than they look, and win 50+ games regardless of whom you surround him with.

tpols
11-24-2012, 08:42 PM
Yup when he was getting punked by Carl Landry and the new Orleans hornets.. And then Dirk had his way with him smh

Lakers_Kobe_Fan
11-24-2012, 08:49 PM
Looks like you should have been aborted.

thats what i should have done with u....B1tch just wont listen....

Kobe 4 The Win
11-24-2012, 09:15 PM
Pau can be frustrating at times because he's not intense and agressive but I'm not giving up on him. We need to get him closer to the hoop. Howard isn't like Shaq that takes up the whole lane. We will figure it out. Pau will be fine. What I am worried about is our bench and the health of our old-ass players.

By the way it would be nice to get some sources from the op. D'Antoni did not say "if you can't run fast enough then get new players". He made a decision to sit Pau in one game when he wasn't playing well. Obvious overreaction is obvious.

IGOTGAME
11-24-2012, 09:17 PM
Pau can be frustrating at times because he's not intense and agressive but I'm not giving up on him. We need to get him closer to the hoop. Howard isn't like Shaq that takes up the whole lane. We will figure it out. Pau will be fine. What I am worried about is our bench and the health of our old-ass players.

By the way it would be nice to get some sources from the op. D'Antoni did not say "if you can't run fast enough then get new players". He made a decision to sit Pau in one game when he wasn't playing well. Obvious overreaction is obvious.

there is an article on the LATimes with the quotes. It is somewhere in this thread as well. He said that.

Kobe 4 The Win
11-24-2012, 09:24 PM
there is an article on the LATimes with the quotes. It is somewhere in this thread as well. He said that.

lol, GTFO.

If true that's strike one for D'Antoni in my book. Too early to be running your mouth like that.

IGOTGAME
11-24-2012, 09:31 PM
lol, GTFO.

If true that's strike one for D'Antoni in my book. Too early to be running your mouth like that.

here is the article.

http://www.latimes.com/sports/basketball/nba/lakers/la-sp-lakers-grizzlies-20121124,0,7868954.story

rmt
11-24-2012, 09:33 PM
This situation is all caused by the FO - instead of getting role players and pieces to complement the stars, they go for the big name stars not considering how all the pieces fit. To top it off, they choose the worst possible fit of a coach - a run and gun guru with old, slow players.

There is nothing wrong with Pau except that his talents are being wasted with DH in the middle. In today's NBA, Pau's a center. He'd be fine on most other teams lacking a post presence as he's still one of the most polished offensive big men. Instead, he's forced to play PF on the perimeter guarding players like Dirk, Alridge when he should be in the paint guarding centers.

They need to take a look at what SAS has done with Duncan. When he plays with Bonner and Diaw, he plays center (offensively - from the post). When he plays with Blair and Splitter, he plays PF (offensively - from the free throw line out) and spaces the floor. Defensively, he plays the slowest big man. It works in SA because none of the big men play big minutes, but in LAL where DH plays close to 40 minutes, poor Pau is relegated to a glorified jump shooter having to guard much quicker players - a complete waste of his talents and strengths.

Don't have much sympathy for LAL and their $100m roster but there is so much impatience thinking one can buy a championship with top flight talent and ignoring the fit. Should've gotten Phil who would have done a much better job with this roster.