PDA

View Full Version : Michael Jordan's 1998 season most underrated ever

Derivative
11-28-2012, 01:16 AM
After 2 straight championship seasons, the Bulls are injured, old, and tired... But Michael Jordan, who turned 35 that season, lead the team which lost Scottie Pippen for half of the season due to injury, and with a roster which consisted of Toni Kukoc, 36 year old Dennis Rodman, and 34 year old Ron Harper, lead the team to a 62-20 record, best in the league.

What's more amazing was in the playoffs, where Jordan lead the team to the third straight championships while putting up a PER of 28.1... And I don't have to talk about what Jordan did to the Jazz in the finals...

And in this Jordan's last season with the Bulls, he won the MVP, All-star MVP, and Finals MVP.

:bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown:

AngelEyes
11-28-2012, 01:18 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YkWm00nVorU

He still had flashes of supreme athleticism like in this game.

Legends66NBA7
11-28-2012, 01:28 AM
Most underrated ?

I'm pretty sure everyone remembers that season for the shot part 2, MVP, championship, Finals MVP, etc... It's not underrated at all.

Derivative
11-28-2012, 01:31 AM
Most underrated ?

I'm pretty sure everyone remembers that season for the shot part 2, MVP, championship, Finals MVP, etc... It's not underrated at all.

it never gets mentioned in the greatest individual seasons of all time

jstern
11-28-2012, 01:31 AM
Don't forget that he was affected by a bad finger. (Don't quite remember the injury, but it was well documented that season.) Not his best season since this was not his prime, but given the circumstances it was underrated for the reason given by the OP.

AngelEyes
11-28-2012, 01:32 AM
Don't forget that he was affected by a bad finger. (Don't quite remember the injury, but it was well documented that season.)

Didn't he cut his finger with a cigar cutter?

Micku
11-28-2012, 01:37 AM
That's the reason why he won MVP. Pippen was out, and Jordan was mainly the guy who lead the team. He wasn't the best player imo, it was Shaq that year. But Jordan meant more to the team and was very deserving of MVP, and he had to deal with injuries too. Very impressive for a guy his age. Plus Shaq was out too much, so the award was Jordan.

I've been watching the playoffs of the 98 Bulls recently. The offense could get real ugly at times. The saying of defense wins games suited right for the team since their offense wasn't the best it could be. Rodman, Pippen, and Harper provided great defense and Rodman brought insane energy and hustle plays.

Looking back, it's really amazing how the super talented offensive teams like the Lakers and Shaq and Penny Magic could get swept. It would've been epic to see 98 Lakers vs Bulls, but it may have been a sweep since the Jazz owned them. They couldn't get over the hump until Phil.

Derivative
11-28-2012, 01:39 AM
That's the reason why he won MVP. Pippen was out, and Jordan was mainly the guy who lead the team. He wasn't the best player imo, it was Shaq that year. But Jordan meant more to the team and was very deserving of MVP, and he had to deal with injuries too. Very impressive for a guy his age. Plus Shaq was out too much, so the award was Jordan.

I've been watching the playoffs of the 98 Bulls recently. The offense could get real ugly at times. The saying of defense wins games suited right for the team since their offense wasn't the best it could be. Rodman, Pippen, and Harper provided great defense and Rodman brought insane energy and hustle plays.

Looking back, it's really amazing how the super talented offensive teams like the Lakers and Shaq and Penny Magic could get swept. It would've been epic to see 98 Lakers vs Bulls.

because the will of jordan

KOBE143
11-28-2012, 01:43 AM
Comparable to Kobe's 13th season..

I just notice, it also Jordan 13th season.. Both won the championship.. This was Mike last championship and PO appearance.. In their 14th season, Kobe had won another chip as the best player in the league while Mike was fighting for 8th seed in the weak east as a top 30 player in the league.. By 15th season, Kobe was still a top 3 player and Mike was already a washed up player..

In his 16th season, Kobe was still elite player and some people still argue he was still the best player and this time Mike was already retired.. In his 17th season, Kobe regain his title as the best player in the league while Mike is already irrelevant..

Derivative
11-28-2012, 01:48 AM

I just notice, it also Jordan 13th season.. Both won the championship.. This was Mike last championship and PO appearance.. In their 14th season, Kobe had won another chip as the best player in the league while Mike was fighting for 8th seed in the weak east as a top 30 player in the league.. By 15th season, Kobe was still a top 3 player and Mike was already a washed up player..

In his 16th season, Kobe was still elite player and some people still argue he was still the best player and this time Mike was already retired.. In his 17th season, Kobe regain his title as the best player in the league while Mike is already irrelevant..

you remind me of
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flat_earth_society

jstern
11-28-2012, 02:13 AM
you remind me of
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flat_earth_society

I wonder why that is. Jk.

Derivative
11-28-2012, 02:23 AM

lol

miles berg
11-28-2012, 02:31 AM

Lol, Jordan @ 35>>>>> Kobe any point in his career.

Truth hurts.

KOBE143
11-28-2012, 02:43 AM
Jordan @ 35>>>>> Kobe any point in his career.
Stop trolling.. No one believes that shit..

Kobe 17th season >>>>> Jordan 14th and 15th season combined..

Truth hurts..

Boston C's
11-28-2012, 03:19 AM

O My God you are truly a moron...why do you go on every Jordan thread to try and degrade Jordan and prop up Kobe....just accept the fact that kobe is a top 10 player of all time while Jordan is the GOAT...something that kobe won't ever be in the discussion for

Derivative
11-28-2012, 03:20 AM
and here kobe can't even lead a team with dwight, gasol, MWP to a winning record lol

ThaRegul8r
11-28-2012, 05:25 AM
I find it hard to believe that anything involving Jordan could be considered "underrated," considering all the media attention everything he did on the court received, as well as the legions of fans who can tell you any single thing Jordan ever did, every stat he recorded, and every record he ever set.

Micku
11-28-2012, 05:27 AM
and here kobe can't even lead a team with dwight, gasol, MWP to a winning record lol

That's unfair. Gott'a wait until the season is over to place judgment. They haven't been together long. It's looking bad right now, but it could look better later.

One thing is for sure though, even with the Lakers talent, they don't have that 'team play' that the Bulls had. The collective defense and offense (even tho it was messy at times since they were old and couldn't finish) Even the Heat don't have that.

Poetry
11-28-2012, 05:47 AM
Don't forget that he was affected by a bad finger. (Don't quite remember the injury, but it was well documented that season.) Not his best season since this was not his prime, but given the circumstances it was underrated for the reason given by the OP.

It was a cracked/broken knuckle and torn ligaments in his hand.

Didn't he cut his finger with a cigar cutter?

That was during the following offseason. Would have required 2 months off from surgery before the '99 lockout season had he decided to come back that year.

The cigar cutter injury never healed properly. In a 2007 Golf Magazine interview, they mention he can't bend the finger to grasp a club properly. Probably why he missed that dunk during the all-star game in 2002.

sekachu
11-28-2012, 06:54 AM

Bull shit Absurd reason, West stronger than the east is a fact but MJ wasn't playing with elite teammate either is another fact so that would be even out. Put MJ in the west on any elite team ensure advancing Final.

raiderfan19
11-28-2012, 07:19 AM
I find it funny that the Kobe homers have taken to pointing out x season. Number for Kobe but ignore that Jordan had more points assists steals rebounds and blocks in his fewer seasons then Kobe has in his career

OldSchoolBBall
11-28-2012, 08:52 AM

Please end yourself. 1998 Jordan was better than any version of Kobe since 2009 at a minimum.

KOBE143
11-28-2012, 09:30 AM
Too many butthurt Jordan stans here.. Their mad I exposed their idol.. In just his 14th and 15th season Mike was already a shell of his former self and can no longer stay in the league becos he's already out of shape.. Incredible work ethic huh? Exposed! :lol

SHAQisGOAT
11-28-2012, 09:38 AM
MJ still doing historic sh!t at old age :bowdown:

lol at PER though, does that stuff always have to be mentioned for real? :facepalm

Vertical-24
11-28-2012, 09:39 AM
Too many butthurt Jordan stans here.. Their mad I exposed their idol.. In just his 14th and 15th season Mike was already a shell of his former self and can no longer stay in the league becos he's already out of shape.. Incredible work ethic huh? Exposed! :lol

Are you f*cking retarded?:facepalm

A 38-40 year old Jordan being compared to someone 4-6 years younger? Yet when Kobe is compared to LeBron, the age-excuse is completely relevent? This guy can't be a Kobe fan. He has to be trolling. He has to be. :facepalm

I tried my best to ignore him for so long guys, I did.

Doctor Rivers
11-28-2012, 09:45 AM
This guy can't be a Kobe fan. He has to be trolling.

i think that's pretty obvious.

Glide2keva
11-28-2012, 09:50 AM
What's more amazing was in the playoffs, where Jordan lead the team to the third straight championships while putting up a PER of 28.1

How exactly do you "Put up" a PER? Please explain.

Dragonyeuw
11-28-2012, 10:36 AM
O My God you are truly a moron...why do you go on every Jordan thread to try and degrade Jordan and prop up Kobe....just accept the fact that kobe is a top 10 player of all time while Jordan is the GOAT...something that kobe won't ever be in the discussion for

Don't insult morons this guy. That dude is something beyond moronic.

Bigsmoke
11-28-2012, 11:01 AM
Malone wasn't a bad choice either for MVP

MJ should have won it in 1997 and give Malone a slight edge in 1998

Derivative
11-28-2012, 01:10 PM
lol at kobe fans voting this thread 1 star

Poetry
11-28-2012, 04:47 PM
Are you f*cking retarded?:facepalm

A 38-40 year old Jordan being compared to someone 4-6 years younger? Yet when Kobe is compared to LeBron, the age-excuse is completely relevent? This guy can't be a Kobe fan. He has to be trolling. He has to be. :facepalm

I tried my best to ignore him for so long guys, I did.

He's a kid. He just doesn't know what he's talking about.

Psileas
11-28-2012, 04:56 PM
After 2 straight championship seasons, the Bulls are injured, old, and tired... But Michael Jordan, who turned 35 that season, lead the team which lost Scottie Pippen for half of the season due to injury, and with a roster which consisted of Toni Kukoc, 36 year old Dennis Rodman, and 34 year old Ron Harper, lead the team to a 62-20 record, best in the league.

What's more amazing was in the playoffs, where Jordan lead the team to the third straight championships while putting up a PER of 28.1... And I don't have to talk about what Jordan did to the Jazz in the finals...

And in this Jordan's last season with the Bulls, he won the MVP, All-star MVP, and Finals MVP.

If you want to call it the GOAT season by a 35 year old, I'm for it, but it's not among the GOAT seasons in general, despite him winning all 3 awards - Willis Reed did so as well in 1970, but he's completely forgotten (unless someone mentions Wilt, of course).
First of all, it can be argued that he wasn't the best individual player of the season (definitely not the clear-cut best), even in the playoffs, if you look how Shaq performed as well. Karl Malone in the regular season also got a 62-20 record and statistically practically tied him as well, while being almost as old (PER: 27.9). Second, this was, for Jordan's standards, a somewhat unstable season: At times, he had his usual eruptions, but he put up more mediocre games than he ever did since his rookie season (not counting '86 and '95 of course). Third, you can't mention Rodman's and Harper's age without giving them credit for being at great physical conditions themselves, esp. Rodman, Kukoc was a fine player - I don't know why you mentioned him - and, with Pippen in, the Bulls went 36-8 vs 26-12 without him. Some will reason that Jordan's injuries early in the season played a role to the Bulls starting slow, and I realize this, but this is also yet another reason why I can't put this season among the absolute GOAT.

Legends66NBA7
11-28-2012, 05:25 PM
I find it hard to believe that anything involving Jordan could be considered "overrated," considering all the media attention everything he did on the court received, as well as the legions of fans who can tell you any single thing Jordan ever did, every stat he recorded, and every record he ever set.

This.

Nothing "underrated" concerning Jordan, whatsoever.

DatAsh
11-28-2012, 05:35 PM
I find it hard to believe that anything involving Jordan could be considered "overrated," considering all the media attention everything he did on the court received, as well as the legions of fans who can tell you any single thing Jordan ever did, every stat he recorded, and every record he ever set.

No one is immune from being underrated. It all depends on who your talking to.

Legends66NBA7
11-28-2012, 05:42 PM
No one is immune from being underrated. It all depends on who your talking to.

And in this case were talking about Michael Jordan. So no, nothing underrated here.

DatAsh
11-28-2012, 05:46 PM
And in this case were talking about Michael Jordan. So no, nothing underrated here.

In a general sense, I would agree, but every player is going to have people who underrate them, even Jordan.

Legends66NBA7
11-28-2012, 05:53 PM
In a general sense, I would agree, but every player is going to have people who underrate them, even Jordan.

No doubt about that. I just think the 97-98 season of Jordan wasn't anything underrated for the following season:

-The media talking about how it would be his last season.
-The sellouts of people wanting to see him.
-Still winning a scoring title, MVP, Championship, and Finals MVP.
-Doing it at the age, drew more attention and added to his legacy.
-The epic showdown between the Pacers and rematch with the Jazz... plus "The Shot, Part 2" ?

There's so many moments that make it highly praised and nothing underrated I can see. Not to mention, the Bulls were the back to back champions and won 5 titles in 7 years.

I get what was being said. It's not being considered as one of the greatest seasons ever. Now, depending on how long that arbitrary list is, I would probably beg to differ and it would be ranked somewhere up there. It's probably on the lowest end of his 6 title years, though.

ThaRegul8r
11-28-2012, 06:09 PM
If you want to call it the GOAT season by a 35 year old, I'm for it, but it's not among the GOAT seasons in general, despite him winning all 3 awards - Willis Reed did so as well in 1970, but he's completely forgotten

I'm not sure why a season is expected to be discussed among thee greatest ever when it isn't even the player in question's greatest season.

Duncan21formvp
11-28-2012, 08:00 PM
This is probably my favorite year/season of MJ even though he was better in all his other years.

Derivative
12-01-2012, 11:21 PM
i can't believe people actually ask if 1998 MJ replaced current kobe would the lakers win championship:facepalm :facepalm

Yao Ming's Foot
12-02-2012, 11:45 AM
Hard to believe its underrated considering he was bailed out by Tony Kukoc and Steve Kerr and outplayed by Reggie Miller to even make the Finals.

http://www.basketball-reference.com/boxscores/199805310CHI.html

:confusedshrug:

Derivative
09-16-2013, 12:27 PM
:bowdown: :bowdown:

cos88
09-16-2013, 12:53 PM

and most kobe asslickers and **********s have 13 kobe over 98 jordan :facepalm :facepalm :facepalm

havoc33
09-16-2013, 05:18 PM

Sorry, but by MJ standards it was far from his best. I grew up watching the Bulls during this period, and MJ struggled mightily to carry the Bulls when Pippen was out. His effeciency was no longer the same due to his declining athleticism. You see it on his numbers throughout the Playoffs that year as well, and the Pacers really gave him fits in the ECF.

The Bulls didn't start clicking until Pippen came back, which says it all about his value really. Remember now that when MJ retired in 93, Pippen took arguably a worse supporting cast to the ECSF. They hardly skipped a beat, even with the GOAT being removed from the team. Pippen was the player that made the Bulls gel, not MJ.

So although MJ had a quality season (when did he not?), I wouldn't call it underrated. He showed more cracks in the armor that year than during any other season. It was kinda weird, cause the drop in athleticism from the 97 season to the 98 season was so obvious, I remember me and my friends discussing it after only a few games into the season that year.

Leviathon1121
09-16-2013, 08:01 PM
Hard to believe its underrated considering he was bailed out by Tony Kukoc and Steve Kerr and outplayed by Reggie Miller to even make the Finals.

http://www.basketball-reference.com/boxscores/199805310CHI.html

:confusedshrug:

9 rebounds, 5 offensive, outrebounding the best rebounder ever Rodman...I mean that is what you Kobe apologists cling to when it comes to Kobe's game 7 right?

Soundwave
09-16-2013, 08:40 PM
I actually feel sorry for Kobe-stans these days. They get slapped around all day by LeBron-stans who are even more annoying than they are, lol. It's just kinda cute now to see them even try to venture into Jordan threads. :oldlol:

Derivative
04-23-2014, 03:05 AM
bump

Dro
04-23-2014, 08:30 AM
What the f*ck are you talking about? Who did you expose? Everyone is exposing YOU...And no, not everyone in this thread is a Jordan stan but we are grownups who can accept the truth....

VIntageNOvel
04-23-2014, 11:35 AM
damn i miss kobe143,
even though he is a kobe hater alt, still one of the best gimick along with the guy from africa

becken
04-24-2014, 06:36 AM
:biggums:

Derivative
07-17-2014, 01:26 AM

GOAT gonna GOAT

Roundball_Rock
07-17-2014, 02:00 AM
turned 35 that season, lead the team which lost Scottie Pippen for half of the season due to injury, and with a roster which consisted of Toni Kukoc, 36 year old Dennis Rodman, and 34 year old Ron Harper, lead the team to a 62-20 record, best in the league.

The Bulls had a 56 win pace without Pippen; down from 69 wins in 97'. The Bulls without Pippen in 98' resembled the Bulls without Jordan, but with Pippen in 94' (58 win pace after 57 wins the previous year). Keep in mind Pippen was replaced by Toni Kukoc; Jordan was replaced by Pete Myers. :lol

DonDadda59
07-17-2014, 02:08 AM
The Bulls had a 56 win pace without Pippen; down from 69 wins in 97'. The Bulls without Pippen in 98' resembled the Bulls without Jordan, but with Pippen in 94' (58 win pace after 57 wins the previous year). Keep in mind Pippen was replaced by Toni Kukoc; Jordan was replaced by Pete Myers. :lol

Kukoc joined the team the season after Jordan retired the first time bruh. Hit like 4 game winners that season, including the buzzer beater that bailed out (somewhat) Scottie's legacy when he quit on his team in the waning moments of a key playoff game to pout on the sidelines.

Then after the GOAT came back, he had to carry brokeback Pippen to more rings and had to literally will his team to the championship at age 35 with a legendary sequence, perhaps the most iconic sequence (and shot) in NBA history to stave off a game 7 back in Utah... at age 35, son.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8V_1ZxCN3nI

Jordan in '97 and '98, going by the numbers alone it looks like he wasn't as great as he was in his prime. And obviously he wasn't the same ultra athletic, high flying freak of nature he was then... but when you look at what he actually did... some of the most unbelievably clutch and legendary moments.

In '97 alone, in the finals, he hit a buzzer beating game-winner in game 1 and then later had the Flu game. Then as mentioned above, willed his team to the 'ship.

GOAT gonna GOAT. Haters gonna hate. World gonna keep spinning :bowdown:

Derivative
03-27-2015, 10:22 PM
godlike

JohnFreeman
03-27-2015, 10:27 PM
Nothing about Jordan is underrated

G0ATbe
03-27-2015, 10:28 PM
Nothing about Jordan is underrated
This tbh...Jordan and underrated should never be used in the same sentence. He's overrated period.

hiphopfan777
03-27-2015, 10:43 PM
Kobe is better. Jordan never scored 81.

SouBeachTalents
03-27-2015, 10:56 PM
Kobe is better. Jordan never scored 81.

http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/showpost.php?p=10807948&postcount=3
http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/showpost.php?p=10742671&postcount=6
http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/showpost.php?p=10781128&postcount=12
http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/showpost.php?p=10769056&postcount=6
http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/showpost.php?p=10667405&postcount=20
http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/showpost.php?p=10240397&postcount=79